PDA

View Full Version : Issues on "noobs"

Odin
18th February 2006, 5:28 PM
Some people are just plain testy. TESTY

This word has been used in this forum and been abused. n00b

Not abused widely like the word F*** but n00b is the most offensve word you can use online, and people like ME are getting f***ed up about this.

Renegade and Ice Scyther are 2 people I know who left this as one of the reasons in their "suicide notes/last notes", a lasting impression and reminder to you all out there.

In the games section:

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=103334

I know the guy who started the thread was dumb, but don't you feel that those people who shot him off are a bit too unkind? Me being a sort of "teacher", I should know......

I HAVE LEFT FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

1) Fanfic writing isn't fun anymore without Renegade. And as many know we were worst enemies. But I miss her...

2) Everyone here is too testy. I mean, I joined before most people that are here now and they call me a noob! I mean, once someone from Jan2006 called me a noob. I JOINED IN JUL2005!!!!

3)It's just gotten boring.

GOOD BYE, AND GOOD RIDDANCE.

Ice Scyther's sig.

What do you think?

No more biting/mocking please! I'm depressed.

Fluorescent Adolescent
18th February 2006, 5:29 PM
The internet is serious business :(

What I think? I think you've blown this ordeal out of proportion to be quite frank :/

Akilah Imani
18th February 2006, 5:40 PM
And here, ladies and gentlemen, we have another example of why SPPF is where all the smart people are :)

I agree with Ryan >_>

Why should we care if they left and the reasons for it? Does their absence change anything? Does their not being here totally disrupt things? Did their leaving cause for a whole thread to be made? Do you think that anyone's who's going to post will have a positive response?

If people go suicidal from being called a 'n00b' then they're really st00pid -_-

They didn't like the way the forums worked so they left, it happens.

Also, I can think of a few more words that are worst than n00b, and I'm really being tempted to use them right now.

Psycho

Magma Leader Maxie
18th February 2006, 5:42 PM
The 'net is crawling with people who like to vent their anger on unsuspecting dumb/new forum users.

It's just the way things are. I'd like a reform, sure, but it's not possible.

What is the world coming to?

Moonlight.
18th February 2006, 5:46 PM
You're not even allowed to call people n00bs here.

Dunno why someone would get upset about being called a n00b though. It's nothing to cry about.

Guitar dude bill
18th February 2006, 5:49 PM
Calling people n00bs is against the rules
Do not insult users by calling them "n00bs" or other derogatory statements.

But. Renegade never left because people called her a n00b. I'd say the reason she left from my point of view, but I'd probably start an argument. So I'll just say she left because she got flamed and bashed.

And you disregarded Ice scythers other reasons. His third was the main.

But mainly, I agree that the word n00b should be ended. Maybe even censored.

Chris
18th February 2006, 5:50 PM
People who can't deal with stupid people have no right to stay on the internet if they're going to be completely sensitive over it. ;\ There's no way one can get rid of the idiots here or in the internet. Your best bet is to either shut up and put up with it, deal with them, or ignore them.

Running off whining about said people just shows how one is incapable of handling other people and their stupidity. ;\

Serebii
18th February 2006, 5:50 PM
So someone breaking the rules (we do not allow the calling of n00bs or any other derogatory statement for that matter) and you not reporting it means that the forums are bad?

Try reporting it to the area mods or Super Mods next time, it actually gets things sorted suprisingly

And Renegade leaving doesn't seem like a problem to me since many a time she was the one insulting people and calling them n00bs

PLANES CURE TOWERS
18th February 2006, 5:54 PM
I'm one of the few people that think YOUR OPINION MATTERS.

I won't do anything about it though.

-Josh

Locke Yggdrasill
18th February 2006, 9:45 PM
I know the guy who started the thread was dumb, but don't you feel that those people who shot him off are a bit too unkind?
Uhh....er....hmm....No?
He put a thread in the wrong section, with a pointless topic.
"lol i ate food today" in the Webmasters & Websites section would also be closed. Getting a thread closed was a somewhat lenient punishment.

Meh. [/miniminirant]

Rufinito18
18th February 2006, 9:57 PM

Not abused widely like the word F*** but n00b is the most offensve word you can use online, and people like ME are getting f***ed up about this.

Renegade and Ice Scyther are 2 people I know who left this as one of the reasons in their "suicide notes/last notes", a lasting impression and reminder to you all out there.

In the games section:

I know the guy who started the thread was dumb, but don't you feel that those people who shot him off are a bit too unkind? Me being a sort of "teacher", I should know......

Look..that wasn't mean..its basic ...and real BASIC spam. They said ur in the wrong thread, do it AGAIN and get banned..so that member prob has done that be4...so dont jump to conclusions buddy

Locke Yggdrasill
18th February 2006, 10:04 PM
Do I uh...
Do I hear an echo? o.o;
XD

Slypher
18th February 2006, 10:11 PM
LOL YOUR A N00B!!!11!!!

This is the internet, and if n00b is the most offensive thing you can find, I have to say, your in a very child-friendly net. Reading your example, when was it mean? That was spam, and I'm sure the mod put that into his/her head.

Perferably, I'll go in and mock them with wit if they said something stupid, (Unless they were clueless and I'll be nice and tell them what they shouldn't do next time.) however that isn't exactly something I can do at SPPF. Anyways, any user who leaves because someone called them a n00b is really pathetic, and if anyone killed themselves over that well, that's why Darwin exists. You are taking this way to seriously, besides, anyone who calls another person a n00b when they were here a while are idiots, because n00bs mean anyone who is new who acts stupid, usually on purpose, and disregard the rule.

Fatal
18th February 2006, 10:18 PM
(we do not allow the calling of n00bs or any other derogatory statement for that matter)

Yes, well, that rule is somewhat difficult to cooperate with when you consider the word "loser" a derogatory statement. o.o

Anyhow, Odin, the member who created that thread was obviously new, but as I'm sure we've all heard, that is no excuse.
If he simply took the time to briefly browse through the forums, and the threads that were in the Games section, he would have probably ended up posting in the right section.
And trust me, what Psi said in that thread is nothing compared to the other crap that goes on around here occasionally. :/

-Fatal

Kirby
18th February 2006, 10:58 PM
LOL YOUR A N00B!!!11!!!

This is the internet, and if n00b is the most offensive thing you can find, I have to say, your in a very child-friendly net. Reading your example, when was it mean? That was spam, and I'm sure the mod put that into his/her head.

Perferably, I'll go in and mock them with wit if they said something stupid, (Unless they were clueless and I'll be nice and tell them what they shouldn't do next time.) however that isn't exactly something I can do at SPPF. Anyways, any user who leaves because someone called them a n00b is really pathetic, and if anyone killed themselves over that well, that's why Darwin exists. You are taking this way to seriously, besides, anyone who calls another person a n00b when they were here a while are idiots, because n00bs mean anyone who is new who acts stupid, usually on purpose, and disregard the rule.

N00b means basically a troll, doesn't matter how long they have been on a forum, if they act stupid on purpose and make lame threads, then they're a n00b. Newb is just a new person, so calling someone who has been at the forums over a year a newb is idiotic. Get your facts straight, kthx :)

And Odin, you're a bit testy imho. If you think n00b is such a terrible insult, go out into the real world for a day and then come back and tell me how many times you hear someone use n00b as an insult ;/

Joe Vega #4
19th February 2006, 9:08 PM
Ohh... I get it, this is why you posted in Typhlogirl's Pokétalk Christmas Special with criticism that meade me think you had a sibling that was behind the post, when you were already one of the first posters that actually praised the one-shot, so I excused you.

Geez, if you really find "noob" so offensive, go cower in a corner. Dude, Leafgreen386 "officially declared me a n00b", all I did was report him, and that was it. Any of our everyday cusses are more offensive than "n00b" by a longshot, IMO.

Jetx
19th February 2006, 9:59 PM
The word n00b is abused I suppose. Ice_scyther is a member of my site and he said he left because he was fed up of the insults he kept hearing. He had it in his sig before that he was fed up, and when this "newbie" called him a n00b. He just left. Psycho, you joined a few days ago. How would you know if people are going to be missed? the word n00b is going to far. I think it needs some more emphais on how lttle it should be used...

Some people should be described as a newb, but not so much that they leave for it. To be honest, ice_scyther is REALLY easy to annoy. He got in an argument with Blingin G, he left breloom woods for a week. He got in an argument with another member, he left again. And now he's finaly calmed down. I find it a bit annoying when people leave for little reason. The only reason he came back to breloom woods was for his mod powers.

indigestible_wad
20th February 2006, 7:05 AM
N00b is a word. It is a person's choice to interpret the word the way they do. It's not for the user to decide how badly the person feels by the words they use. When you be blunt and ubrupt, it makes the person look at what they're doing and try to change it. Now it's there where it shows what the person is really like. They can be strong and try to change it, or they can be weak and complain and sit in the corner eating wet cigarrette butts.

It's what separates the boys from the men. Metaphorically speaking. People need to understand that the internet is not always friendly. And that not everyone is going to be nice and hold your hand like your mommy. People either need to leave or grow up.

TRJessie579
20th February 2006, 7:14 AM
Am I the only one that sees nothing wrong with the original thread that was posted? O_o

The word "n00b" was not used once, and I can't see the "people who shot him off."

ONE non-mod replied to the thread. What they basically said was, "This is the wrong section. ____ is what this section is for, I don't know where your topic belongs but it isn't here, so mods will probably move or lock it."

The other post was from Psi, telling them to read the rules and follow them or they'd be banned. They already made one spam thread already, in Clubs. OMG Psi told them to read the rules!! PEOPLE ARE TOO TESTY HERE!!!!1111oneoenoenoe

Shadowcat
20th February 2006, 9:55 AM
And Renegade leaving doesn't seem like a problem to me since many a time she was the one insulting people and calling them n00bs

Hello? You demoted her I think... She was a mod... Yes...

Renegade: One of the Best Reviewers in the Fan Fiction Community we have ever seen...

Just because you don't go to the Fan Fiction Forums, you think she's been insulting people and labelling them as 'n00bs'... Actually, she's just critisizing and helping members out... Telling them to get a better plot, type in on MS Word, following the Rules...

I think naraku was the one calling people 'n00bs'... Renegade was pointing out what you should do... The same with one she does in the RPG Forums...

Don't like it... Sorry, live with it... Like what Kirby said, if you were on the streets and all, do you hear anybody calling people 'n00bs'?

PLANES CURE TOWERS
20th February 2006, 1:18 PM
Am I the only one that sees nothing wrong with the original thread that was posted? O_o
I would just like to point out that a winner is you.

-Josh

Tropical Spirit
20th February 2006, 1:37 PM
E-Suicide. ohnoz. >__>; Seriously, people shouldn't take things on the internet so seriously. I used to do so a lot, but it was due to general immaturity, not anything else. Imo, doing this sort of e-fiasco only really shows how someone's immature and unable to ignore/deal with someone that may be typing something from the other side of the world.

There's also nothing wrong with that thread, really. The moderators can't let people run rampant, spamming and posting on the wrong sections. If said people doesn't learn and keeps doing it, I'm sorry, but you must agree that a ban is the only choice. :\

AV_ROcK-Dark-TB
20th February 2006, 4:19 PM
I've kinda been a little spamming when I was a newbie I've Double posted,posted some pointless threads,and other stuff...There's one in my sig..

Blazing Dragon
20th February 2006, 10:06 PM
So someone breaking the rules (we do not allow the calling of n00bs or any other derogatory statement for that matter) and you not reporting it means that the forums are bad?

Try reporting it to the area mods or Super Mods next time, it actually gets things sorted suprisingly

tsk, tsk, tsk. And when I PM you with a MAJOR issue that I cant even complain to a mod, what do you do? You ignore me. I'm totally against this N0ob thing

Serebii
20th February 2006, 11:22 PM
You are aware that I'm extremely busy with assignments and what not at the moment right?

Serebii
20th February 2006, 11:45 PM
Does this mean I'll have to make another "common sense" announcement saying that if you don't get a reply from a mod you PM'd, don't complain unless it's been a really really long time because we have lives?
Yes, I just checked and I got the first PM an hour before he made that post and the second almost an hour after...if it was like a day or a week then moan, an hour? NO

Chris
20th February 2006, 11:46 PM
tsk, tsk, tsk. And when I PM you with a MAJOR issue that I cant even complain to a mod, what do you do? You ignore me. I'm totally against this N0ob thing
Quit your whining. You make the term "n00b" seem about as equivalent to the N-word. --; Which it isn't.

Quite frankly, most of us don't really give a damn.

SlimShady
21st February 2006, 12:36 AM
Quite frankly, most of us don't really give a damn.
That is the problem...

SlimShady
21st February 2006, 12:44 AM
Well, I'm going to try to clear something up. It isn't that poeple are hurt being called a "n00b." It is when people say call you that ALL THE TIME, when people think of you like that, and think because you don't like the word damn, or ask a lot of questions, that you are inferior, or a pathetic loser. When you enter a chatroom or log on to a forum and post, it is very hurtful when all people do is belittle you and mock you, because they are so full of themselves that they express a form of hubrus. That I believe is what hurts people. I think that people have to get over themselves and realize that we are all people with feelings. But if you are hurt by being called "n00b" or "EMO' once or twice, that is starange. o_O;

Akilah Imani
21st February 2006, 12:45 AM
Well, I'm going to try to clear something up. It isn't that poeple are hurt being called a "n00b." It is when people say call you that ALL THE TIME, when people think of you like that, and think because you don't like the word damn, or ask a lot of questions, that you are inferior, or a pathetic loser. When you enter a chatroom, log on to a forum and post, it is very hurtful when all people do is belittle you and mock you, because they are so full of themselves that they express a form of hubrus. That I believe is what hurts people.
Most of the time those people merit it, but if you keep getting called 'n00b' report it, but don't just make a thread wining with no plan to fix the problem.

It's the internet. On a POKEMON forum. It's not that big of a deal >_> No one should care.

Like Latios said, either propose a plan to fix it or shut up.

Edit: The only thing I see that could be done is to enforce the rule a bit more and make harsher consequences for breaking of the rule :/

Psycho

SlimShady
21st February 2006, 12:50 AM
Most of the time those people merit it, but if you keep getting called 'n00b' report it, but don't make a thread wining with no plan to fix the problem.

It's the internet. On a POKEMON forum. It's not that big of a deal >_> No one should care.

Psycho
You are correct. However, most of the mods and chatroom ops feel the same as most people. I was kicked out of the chatroom, and the message was:

Will the real SlimShady please **** off?
I was logged on as SlimShady.
So, there is little to do unless you are seriously insulted, where it isn't so little anymore. Reporting to a mod that everyone hates you does nothing, especially if the mod feells that you are a n00b, that is when you need to prove that you are not a n00b.
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=107371
I think that you are foolish if you do something like in the above link. Because, people will consider you a "n00b" and mods will dislike you. Instead, you should come straight to the mod(s) that is givig you trouble, or a mod you trust. But, I have noticed quite a few types of threads like in the link I have shown. And if they keep froming, something must change. Maybe a meeting for mods or an announceent. Its up to Serebii or whoever if that is needed.

PLANES CURE TOWERS
21st February 2006, 1:26 AM
You are correct. However, most of the mods and chatroom ops feel the same as most people. I was kicked out of the chatroom, and the message was:

I was logged on as SlimShady.
So, there is little to do unless you are seriously insulted, where it isn't so little anymore. Reporting to a mod that everyone hates you does nothing, especially if the mod feells that you are a n00b, that is when you need to prove that you are not a n00b.
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=107371
I think that you are foolish if you do something like in the above link. Because, people will consider you a "n00b" and mods will dislike you. Instead, you should come straight to the mod(s) that is givig you trouble, or a mod you trust. But, I have noticed quite a few types of threads like in the link I have shown. And if they keep froming, something must change. Maybe a meeting for mods or an announceent. Its up to Serebii or whoever if that is needed.
Yes but you see. You're a ****ing annoyance.

-Josh

SlimShady
21st February 2006, 1:38 AM
So basically you want the mods to care about the smallest detail or insult around and act accordingly to it?...

Eh, you know as much as I'd like to have this place cut down on any insulting problems we may have, I personally want to keep some of it. Why? Well insulting can do two things: it'll hurt your feelings (a given) and it'll drive you to do better. The sole reason why I decided to shape myself up in AOL.

But yeah, we can't have this forum be Disneyland. It's impossible and it'll only encourage people to start getting ideas about "I gotta think about my self esteem!" BS.
EDIT: Never mind what I said earlier. You are right about the insults. It is when the ma jority do not welcome you and hate you. That is the problem that I am discussing.

Yes but you see. You're a ****ing annoyance.

-Josh
That is the problem. But, all I have to say is whatever.

Neon Lite
21st February 2006, 2:27 AM
"Newbie and noob are two different things, as stated hundreds of times. A newbie is someone new, and they have a completely clean slate. They could be popular. They could be hated. It depends on their actions. A noob, on the otherhand, is an idiot that have damaged their reputation by doing stupid things, and tends to be known for doing stupid things."

Simple, no? Think what you may, but that's probably the best veiw of a n00b. And there's more;

I'm sure the moderators and administrators do an excellent job, and just trying to fight the pest off yourself with a constant, everlasting, bashing and flaming fight is to just report the little bugger to a staff member.

And if you can't take it, just shut the thing down and walk slowly away. Deep breaths work, people; getting angry over a debate over the INTERNET at a POKEMON forum is certainly the most awkward task ever achived.

EDIT: I have nothing against them, but if they get on MY nerves, which is sorta rare, they might as well be considered ignored.

Torchic23
21st February 2006, 2:30 AM
Serebii has made a thread on this before, and there's nothing more he can do so I wish you guys would stop blamming this on him! The mods do their best too! Serebii shouldn't have to worry about this because you all should know better!

I've been called a No0b too and I've been here since September 2004. I ignored it cause I could care less what people wanna call me.

Yes I know you mods don't care that much, and I don't think you should have to, this is a great site so I dunno why members are posting crap and then other members are getting upset, this is childish. Mods can't be there all the time to fix little problems like name calling. If you're really having a big problem, just report them

cυтe тogepι
21st February 2006, 3:03 AM
I swear Mods and Admins don't have superpowers to make the offenses stop.

I think, that if we all stop it, then there'll be no problem, (even though, I'm sure it's not possible), but, if most of us tried, then there will be a difference. =/

TRJessie579
21st February 2006, 4:34 AM

Yes, I just checked and I got the first PM an hour before he made that post and the second almost an hour after...if it was like a day or a week then moan, an hour? NO

I'm sorry, but I SO lmao'd at this.

Blazing Dragon even made an entire thread about how some mods suck and said "I PMed Serebii about this issue (I've been ignored)."

Yes, because A WHOLE HOUR after sending your PM the webmaster, who has to take care of the forums and the site, do updates, and generally manage the entire place (plus have a life on the side) DIDN'T ANSWER YOUR PM?!?! OMG!! He must not care about whatever issue it is you have! CALL THE PRESS! /obvious sarcasm

I've noticed people have no patience. There are the continuous newbies who think this place is a chat room, and will post with "hello ne1 there?????/" after their question has gone unanswered for 5 whole minutes.

The only other thing I wanted to add is that not all criticism is flaming. If people think you are wrong they will tell you so, and the majority of the time it's in a way that's perfectly justified; you don't have to go running to a mod to complain about the mean old person who told you why your fanfic was bad.

Finally, and again, I ask the topic creator WTF the thread linked in the original post had to do with the use of the word "n00b" and people being mean. I'm still baffled.

RedJirachi
21st February 2006, 4:47 AM
Do not insult new members!{which I am not}

Ethereal
21st February 2006, 4:55 AM
Well, that added nothing. :)

I know the guy who started the thread was dumb, but don't you feel that those people who shot him off are a bit too unkind?
Bonus points to anyone that finds the glaring contradiction between this quote and the entire "point" of this thread's creation.

On topic: If people get all emo over the tamest of crap that goes on at a POKEMON FORUM, then you really just need to do the world a favor and commit yourself to the fun place where they give you a funky white coat that lets you hug yourself all the time, and where you can bounce off the pillowy walls to your heart's content.

Altair
21st February 2006, 6:14 AM
On topic: If people get all emo over the tamest of crap that goes on at a POKEMON FORUM, then you really just need to do the world a favor and commit yourself to the fun place where they give you a funky white coat that lets you hug yourself all the time, and where you can bounce off the pillowy walls to your heart's content.

Lolling my head off. Seriously!

Anyway, I agree with everyone else...
Why should you care if someone calls you a n00b? Just tell them to f*ck off.
They are the bigger n00b if they waste their time saying sh*t like that.
And besides, where the hell do you see the word n00b in that link you gave us? I think you're the one being testy over such a trivial issue.

By the way, Odin, great job defending your position. I haven't seen you here since the first post. -__-

Ex_Mightyena
21st February 2006, 9:03 AM
lol eternal in other words a psycho place?

whats wrong with the word noob?id rather be called that then nerd or cockhead so why not be happy about being called noob?

PLANES CURE TOWERS
21st February 2006, 12:15 PM
Do you just insult the old members instead then? :rolleyes:

By the way, Odin, great job defending your position. I haven't seen you here since the first post. -__-
That's because he'll get a load of bollocks due to the fact he's an idiot :)

-Josh

Chris
21st February 2006, 1:14 PM
Most of the time those people merit it, but if you keep getting called 'n00b' report it, but don't just make a thread wining with no plan to fix the problem.

Edit: The only thing I see that could be done is to enforce the rule a bit more and make harsher consequences for breaking of the rule :/

Psycho
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tsukento/holdit.gif
Reporting it to us most likely will result in us not caring. Because this is the internet, most of the staff doesn't care about a petty, internet slang insult that anyone can throw about. Its meaning is pathetic and anyone, including "n00bs" themselves will shoot it off as a way to "insult" someone. Taking offense to being called one makes you look like a cry-baby and will result in me ignoring any reports I get about the situation.

If the matter here was a discussion about the overly high usage of "gay" for explanations of various things such as "That is gay," then the issue would be taken seriously.

But because the main person themself has raised up contradictions by even going as far as insulting people while trying to raise up the defense of protecting people from such petty insults, I shall say that this whole topic is nothing but a waste of our time.

*slams his hands on his desk*

This entire case is faulty and filled with requests that are virtually impossible.

....Okay, I've been playing too much Phoenix Wright. >_>;;

PLANES CURE TOWERS
21st February 2006, 1:50 PM
This entire case is faulty and filled with requests that are virtually impossible.
You forgot to do the part where you close the thread and we all cheer :<

-Josh

Max Bauman
21st February 2006, 3:54 PM
in before lock

pisces_beedrill
21st February 2006, 4:07 PM

In the games section:

Ice Scyther's sig.

What do you think?

No more biting/mocking please! I'm depressed.
as much as what u are saying is true, do not care about being called a noob cause, well, it is internet,, you can grill them, then quit, what can happen? oh and i miss ice syther, he was my friend, but i am on other forums with him so i don't care. dude, chill out

TRJessie579
21st February 2006, 5:27 PM
....Okay, I've been playing too much Phoenix Wright. >_>;;

Just finished the game the other day. I saw the image and my brain started scrambling to remember what evidence I had before I realized where I was. x_X

/modspam

You forgot to do the part where you close the thread and we all cheer :<

-Josh

Yes, please?

Chris
21st February 2006, 7:40 PM
Right. *closes*