PDA

View Full Version : A different way to register?

SlimShady
21st February 2006, 7:01 PM
I have noticed how someone gets banned, gets mad at SPPf, and spams with a different account. If this happens, why not change the way people hear register? That is what happened on my site. Someone I know logged on to my site and spammed it up. I banned his account, but he kept spamming by making different accounts. I set it up so that you need an e-mail link in order to register. It has worked for me so far. If someone registers, they need to put in their real e-mail address, and when they are banned, they can't use the duplicate e-mail address, therefore, they cannot spam. That is, if they do not have multiple e-mails. But that is unlikely as it is too hard and money consuming to use multiple e-mails.

Moonlight.
21st February 2006, 7:09 PM
it is too hard and money consuming to use multiple e-mails.

No. It takes two minutes to set up a hotmail account, so this wouldn't work at all.

Also, there is such as thing as IP banning. That will stop the person from going onto the forums unless they use a different PC.

Jetx
21st February 2006, 7:10 PM
Yes, just ban the IP. And invisionfree is different to vBulliten ya know?

SlimShady
21st February 2006, 7:22 PM
No. It takes two minutes to set up a hotmail account, so this wouldn't work at all.

Also, there is such as thing as IP banning. That will stop the person from going onto the forums unless they use a different PC.
That would not work too well as you can use someone else's e-mail. You can also have multiple IPs. I have access to around 5 computers, so that still wouldn't work.

Moonlight.
21st February 2006, 7:31 PM
That would not work too well as you can use someone else's e-mail. You can also have multiple IPs. I have access to around 5 computers, so that still wouldn't work.

Most people don't have access to multiple PCs, and I don't think anyone would waste their time trying to get to another PC if they only have one.

Anyway, for now, it's the best they can do.

Neopolis
21st February 2006, 8:43 PM
There's IP hiders too. No real good way to permanently ban someone.

Silver Ryu
21st February 2006, 8:56 PM
Yeah. My dad works with computers, so we have a lot. I have access to...let's see...six computers. Along with the 20 or so Ibooks that our class has.(there's a set that gets passed from class to class too, but we have our own. :D) So that wouldn't work too well. And they could just access with a friend's computer, or make another E-mail account.

Mequuh
21st February 2006, 9:11 PM
You could make it so it requires a cell phone, like gmail does... Some people may be able to have duplicates but it sure wouldn't be easy.

Eszett
21st February 2006, 9:24 PM
And what about the people that do not have cell phones such as myself? ;[

IP banning might not be good but it's the best thing we have at the moment.

Mequuh
21st February 2006, 9:29 PM
Well, maybe there could be a system that calls any number instead of text messaging and tells the begining password.. I'm sure everyone has at least one phone. Then you can make your password whatever. But I 'spose multiple phones are more acesible than computers...

Akilah Imani
21st February 2006, 9:34 PM
That's to much work over a forum and all. It isn't all that serious >_>

Leave it at IP banning.

Psycho

Magma Leader Maxie
21st February 2006, 9:51 PM
I believe IP bans aren't used here because many people have rotating IP addresses these days and using wildcards for banning more than one combination (such as XXX.YYY.*.*) is a bit too risky because more than just the troublemakers would get banned using this method (do we really want to come here and find that we can't view the site because some idiot was banned for spamming)?

Akilah Imani
21st February 2006, 10:29 PM
do we really want to come here and find that we can't view the site because some idiot was banned for spamming?
Yes, then we all would be able to got to PC :)

It's really impossible to permaban anyone with all this mindblowing technology we have -_- Leave it to the admins or whoever, but IP banning seems like all that they can do.

It's really not all that serious, just the intarwebz after all >_>

Psycho

Zapdos
21st February 2006, 10:49 PM
I believe IP bans aren't used here because many people have rotating IP addresses these days and using wildcards for banning more than one combination (such as XXX.YYY.*.*) is a bit too risky because more than just the troublemakers would get banned using this method (do we really want to come here and find that we can't view the site because some idiot was banned for spamming)?
True. I really don't think that an IP ban will help :(

Erus Black Mage
21st February 2006, 10:57 PM
you can contact thier ISP and have it banned from here

Blazing Dragon
21st February 2006, 11:14 PM
IP banning may not be the best, beacuse there is a possibility (NOTE: THE FOLLOWING WILL SOUND RIDICULOSUS) that the member has another sibling that isn't so bad.

you can contact thier ISP and have it banned from here

You DONT want to do that as it might make it so those people cant access the net at all which may lead to..unwanted trouble. You cant make a forum without some trouble makers around.

Zapdos
21st February 2006, 11:20 PM
I agree 100% with you. The person could have a sibling that's better or worsethan he/she is. I don't think that's ridiculous ;)

Akilah Imani
21st February 2006, 11:20 PM
Okay fine. Since banning IP won't work, enlighten us on what will? :rolleyes:

Either way we don't have much say-so on the matter >_>

This is becoming very entertaining.

Psycho

Locke Yggdrasill
22nd February 2006, 12:55 AM
It's really not all that serious, just the intarwebz after all >_>
The internet is serious business.

-Josh

Oh, wait..I'm not Josh. :3

Fiery Blaziken
22nd February 2006, 12:57 AM
Any idiot can make an hotmail account in a minute or so. >_>
And people have rotating IPs and proxies yanno.

You could make it so it requires a cell phone, like gmail does... Some people may be able to have duplicates but it sure wouldn't be easy.
Some people don't have cell phones. =/

RaZoR LeAf
22nd February 2006, 12:59 AM
You DONT want to do that as it might make it so those people cant access the net at all which may lead to..unwanted trouble. You cant make a forum without some trouble makers around.

The vast majority of IS Providers frown upon spam. If you report soemobody who is signing up to a forum for the sole purpose of spamming, then they are breaking the agreement they made with their ISP. If they get permanently cut off from the internet, it's their own damn fault.

As already mentioned, IP bans do not always work due to rotating IP addresses. AOL is one of the main proplems concerning this matter I do believe. Unfortunatly, any big forum can not go without it's fair share of trolls, morons and mentally unstable dickheads, and aside from continuing to ban them, there's little else that can be done to prevent them.

Akilah Imani
22nd February 2006, 1:04 AM
So then IP banning the best that can be done. There really isn't a way to keep someone gone for good...unless you kill them >_>

You'll have trolls wherever you go.

The internet is serious business.

-Josh

Oh, wait..I'm not Josh. :3
Bah, I forgot how serious the intarwebz wuz :P

Edit: Locke, you're stealing catch phrases again >:O

Psycho

SlimShady
22nd February 2006, 2:23 AM
If proxy servers are problems, can't they be scanned? Some websites I visit scan for proxies.

Fatal
22nd February 2006, 6:05 AM
There really isn't a way to keep someone gone for good...unless you kill them >_>

Yes, that's always the best way. ;D

E-mail recognition won't do ****, by the by. People may just as well insert someone else's e-mail as they can simply create a bogus account on hotmail, etc. :/

-Fatal

POKErUsAm
22nd February 2006, 6:08 AM
i just read this thread on the rules on spam and the best way is to ignore them

Pokefan20010
22nd February 2006, 10:20 AM
i just read this thread on the rules on spam and the best way is to ignore them
I agree with you, POKErUsAm. Just ignore them. It does get annoying, but face it. There is always SPAM somewhere...

Eszett
22nd February 2006, 11:02 AM
But why, WHY just let it pile up? :[

To demonstrate leniency towards trolls and spammers would only drive the forums down the path of being swamped with SPAM. Just because there is SPAM somewhere doesn't mean it can't be resolved.

Also, spamming is still against the rules so it would still warrant a warning/ban for its perpetrators.

Magma Leader Maxie
22nd February 2006, 12:44 PM
And people have rotating IPs and proxies yanno.

If proxy servers are problems, can't they be scanned? Some websites I visit scan for proxies.

I looked through vBulletin coding, and an attempt is made to grab the IP address behind the proxy. I don't think this can always work, though.

Besides, there is really no way to stop anyone coming here, so I believe the mods hope people will just give up. I mean, you have to have a pretty deviant mind if you want to make 20+ hotmail accounts just to spam up a Pokemon forum. o_O

Guitar dude bill
22nd February 2006, 7:02 PM
Problem with e-mail bans
1) Not everyone even has an E-mail address
2) Similar to IP banning, certain users have access to multiple computers, and pretty much every computer has a unique e-mail address

Problem with IP bans
1) As mentioned earlier, some people have rotating IPs
2) People have multiple computers sometimes
3) This is rare, but hackers could get another IP.

Just keep track of users with the address and keep banning them when they start spamming.

Fatal
22nd February 2006, 7:18 PM
2) Similar to IP banning, certain users have access to multiple computers, and pretty much every computer has a unique e-mail address

You can access any e-mail account from any computer, for it's not a code exclusive to each computer like IP addresses, it's a service. >>;

-Fatal

Akilah Imani
22nd February 2006, 8:46 PM
Problem with e-mail bans
Yes, but if you have a computer and the intarwebz, you can get one >_>

What Fatal said.

Problem with IP bans
Yes, but there isn't much that can be done about that.

You can't do anything about that either >_>

Its not rare. If you're any good at hacking, this should be fairly simple.

Just keep track of users with the address and keep banning them when they start spamming.
Right, keep track of hundreds of users, check each and every time for their address (which can be changed), and ban them off the back as soon as they register. That's time consuming. Who's going to do all of the work?

It's IP or bust. It may not be perfect, but it is one of the better options left.

Psycho

Magma Leader Maxie
22nd February 2006, 10:33 PM
So are you telling me God sent them their activation e-mail through a divine dream?

I don't understand this part of your sentence.

Problem with IP bans

Yay. RaZoR LeAf confirmed that IP bans aren't issued, so is there any point in discussing this any further?

How on earth does changing your IP fit under "hacking"?
Hmmm... *uses famous and over-used dictionary quote*

to hack v. -

To cut or chop with repeated and irregular blows: hacked down the saplings.
To use one's skill in computer programming to gain illegal or unauthorized access to a file or network: hacked into the company's intranet.

I didn't know changing your IP address counted as gaining unauthorised entry into other systems :)

Jetx
22nd February 2006, 10:56 PM
So are you telling me God sent them their activation e-mail through a divine dream?
On SPPf, I got activated before I had email...

This thread is going nowhere, we're not likely to change anything.

Akilah Imani
22nd February 2006, 10:58 PM
No really?

Whatever gave you that brilliant idea? :rolleyes:

Psycho

SlimShady
23rd February 2006, 4:37 AM
On SPPf, I got activated before I had email...

I didn't get an e-mail, but I had a fake e-mail address at the time. I have a real one now, being that I once forgot my PC password. But, on SPPf, an Admin registers you through the Admin contol panel, which is a load of fun. :D You can search for a specific e-mail address or IP address throught te AdminCP, to find out if multiple members have the same one, but here, you cannot use multiple e-mal addresses.

Dunsparce
24th February 2006, 2:23 AM
Remember Groudon80?

He got around the IP ban by changing his IP or something. Made HUNDREDS of Multis.
Pfft. He was an Idiot. Never liked him all that much >_<;

Thank God that he eventually gave up.

Da' dude
24th February 2006, 2:37 AM
Well, the funny thing is that, I used to have an old account that had a made-up email because I didn't want to give away my real one, and no one caught me...lol, (don't wanna talk about it, oh the guilt!)