PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Mortify

klducks
23rd February 2006, 7:10 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/guildpact/mortify.jpg
Mortify - Guildpact. Uncommon
1WB: Instant
Destroy target creature or enchantment.
The eyes let flow with tears, then blood, then the very soul - the whole wrung inside out, dripping down into the blacked puddle of the past.

I honestly think this'll be a staple for removal in Orzhov decks. It serves double time, by destroying either a creature or enchantment. Of course, it doesn't have the "can't be regenerated" addition like Dark Banishing or Terror, but it can destroy black creatures as well. Way better then Banish/Terror with an added Disenchant. Tis great.

The Duck's Rating: 3.5/5

Shadow Trainer
23rd February 2006, 7:57 PM
A great removal card, useful for getting rid of any troublesome creatures or enchantments in play. 4/5

Broodstar
23rd February 2006, 10:51 PM
Good thing it can effect black and...its good? 3.5/5

~RaikouRider243~
24th February 2006, 4:56 AM
3/5

Not nearly as good as Putrefy for GB, but still very nice.

Shadow the Hedgehog
24th February 2006, 7:50 PM
3/5 Can be very useful. I just don't like running black/white...

klducks
25th February 2006, 8:43 AM
3/5 Can be very useful. I just don't like running black/white...
agreed, orzhov is the worst guild to run IMO (in limited)

chaoslord
25th February 2006, 7:08 PM
agreed, orzhov is the worst guild to run IMO (in limited)

Disagree. I saw some great Orzhov builds played at the pre-release. NO ONE was drafting B/W, it was crazy.

A guy mulliganed down to 4 and won with it. I couldnt believe that.

I think Orzhov is one of the most powerful guilds, you just have to THINK to play it. It's more control based than most, if not all, of the others out there. But it still kicks ***, so I think. We'll have to wait to see it in the upper levels to see if my assessment is right though.

As for this card: Yall have said about everything that can be said. 3.5/5
It's not necissarily better than the putrefy, but its also not really worse.

Mr_Mime06
25th February 2006, 7:09 PM
What kind of cards are these?

klducks
25th February 2006, 7:12 PM
Disagree. I saw some great Orzhov builds played at the pre-release. NO ONE was drafting B/W, it was crazy.

A guy mulliganed down to 4 and won with it. I couldnt believe that.

I think Orzhov is one of the most powerful guilds, you just have to THINK to play it. It's more control based than most, if not all, of the others out there. But it still kicks ***, so I think. We'll have to wait to see it in the upper levels to see if my assessment is right though.
well, being last in the guild's list isn't making it necessarily bad since all the other guilds are pretty good.

I've just been having bad instances with Orzhov in drafts and noone has been 3-0 with an orzhov deck in 2 stores that hosts drafts that i go to.

chaoslord
25th February 2006, 9:44 PM
It's all area-related metagame, but I do see your point. I just can't believe how little people wanted to jump on it here. I figure anyone going in without even looking at the packs, having decided they were goin B/W woulda done pretty good. And I don't remeber if anyone 3-0'd drafts here, but I know there were a decent amount of few 2-0 Draw-in-last-round-because-they-dont-want-to-fight-over-one-pack.

Kaizer
26th February 2006, 3:43 PM
It's all area-related metagame, but I do see your point. I just can't believe how little people wanted to jump on it here. I figure anyone going in without even looking at the packs, having decided they were goin B/W woulda done pretty good. And I don't remeber if anyone 3-0'd drafts here, but I know there were a decent amount of few 2-0 Draw-in-last-round-because-they-dont-want-to-fight-over-one-pack.

I know a guy who went 3-0. Actually don't know him, but I played against him. He of course had the godliest Orzhov deck anyone's ever seen in draft. I swear we must've been playing MODO.

chaoslord
26th February 2006, 7:14 PM
Was that the guy in the draft that we thought Alan's Izzet was going to own in, and then somehow he couldnt topdeck to save his life?

EDIT: And yeah. Definately MODO. God, I need MODO. I also need to catch up on that good ol' MODO screen thread, but I'll do that later.

klducks
26th February 2006, 7:17 PM
I know a guy who went 3-0. Actually don't know him, but I played against him. He of course had the godliest Orzhov deck anyone's ever seen in draft. I swear we must've been playing MODO.
well, thats the thing about Orzhov.

You need the biggest bombs in orzhov to manage. Otherwise, you wont go very far unless you have luck and your opponents screws.

I mean, the other guilds can manage without any many bombs or the like, but it seems orzhov cant.

Kaizer
26th February 2006, 7:43 PM
What do you mean "needs bombs?" Orzhov doesn't have many real bombs and they certainly aren't needed to win. This guy simply had five of the Bat, A guildmage, a few Souls of the faultless, three Pillory of the Sleepless, and a mortify along with a couple of castigate. Believe he had Mourning Thrulls and Shadow Lances too. Last time I checked none of those were true "bombs." I don't think his Angel of Despair ever even made a difference, the deck was that damn good.

Can't forget Ryan's Orzhov decks either where he may not have went 3-0 (why bother?), but he didn't ever need a bomb to win a single game.

chaoslord
26th February 2006, 7:48 PM
What do you mean "needs bombs?" Orzhov doesn't have many real bombs and they certainly aren't needed to win. This guy simply had five of the Bat, A guildmage, a few Souls of the faultless, three Pillory of the Sleepless, and a mortify along with a couple of castigate. Believe he had Mourning Thrulls and Shadow Lances too. Last time I checked none of those were true "bombs." I don't think his Angel of Despair ever even made a difference, the deck was that damn good.

Can't forget Ryan's Orzhov decks either where he may not have went 3-0 (why bother?), but he didn't ever need a bomb to win a single game.

Ryan also mulligained down to 4 and won with the thrull + lance. (AoD isnt that great, BTW). But, while we're on the talk of guilds...nah, that'll wait for a later post.

skiboydoggy
3rd March 2006, 8:29 AM
That card pretty much owns, but honestly, Orzhov seems like an iffy deck to play. Not that I actually encountered one before, but B/W with the name Code in it does not make it seem much better.

Felix Feral Fezirix
4th March 2006, 3:48 PM
Depending on what the hell your deck is doing, this can vary. If you play a Pestilence deck with some Disenchant, you can tear this up and chuck it in some bin. Or anything of the like. (Mass damage while packing a few enchantment destruction cards) On any other deck though, it's a pretty good thing for wiping off stuff. The only thing that stinks is that it doesn't wipe artifacts. 4/5.

klducks
4th March 2006, 7:22 PM
Im guessing noone else at the table drafted orzhov, looking at that deck. Jesus christ.

Kaizer
4th March 2006, 7:27 PM
Im guessing noone else at the table drafted orzhov, looking at that deck. Jesus christ.

Actually... that's wrong. There were two other people drafting it. One got a ghost council, a couple of guildmages themselves and the rest crap. The other guy's deck held up to that deck I mentioned in the above post until game three.

The_Darkness_Incarnate
6th March 2006, 2:33 AM
Meh. Kinda an iffy card if you ask me.

I mean, it's good since it gives you a choice of Creature or Enchantment removal, but it lacks regenerate. As far as I know, enchantments arent too big of a things in the current meta, and the ones you would use, you wouldnt care too much if they died. When you target a creature, most of the time it's not going to regenerate, so the cannot be regenerated effect isnt needed, but it's nice to have a bit of reassurance.

And if I get BW on turn three or so, I would be playing an Orhov Pontiff, or something like that. And it late game, not sure about this though, since I haven't really given the new cardlists a good lookover, I'll have some other and better form of enchantment removal. Assuming I'm actually playing Orhov, and I have nothing better to do with my mana, like activate Ghost Council or get some more haunt cards.

Overall, it's a solid card, but it doesnt really seem to shine to me like putrefy did. Other people will probably say otherwise, but I don't think this is that much of a standout card.

2.5-3/5

skiboydoggy
6th March 2006, 10:54 AM
So... You want a compressed Wrath of God...?

Felix Feral Fezirix
7th March 2006, 4:45 PM
.........Sundering Vitae does better.

Kaizer
8th March 2006, 2:46 PM

Does Sundering Vitae destroy creatures? No, so don't speak of things you don't know. I mean seriously, the cards don't even do the same thing. How can you possibly compare them like that?
;245;

klducks
8th March 2006, 5:47 PM
why mention that when theres something called "naturalize"?

Does Sundering Vitae destroy creatures? No, so don't speak of things you don't know. I mean seriously, the cards don't even do the same thing. How can you possibly compare them like that?
;245;
You have a point, you really do. Just calm down bud. It's just a card rate...

I really dont want the "alt. card discussion" forum to turn into the RMT style forum.

Big egoed people picking on innocent newbs with "HAHAHAHA, YOU HAVE AN EFFED UP MANA CURSE, YOU PHLAIL LIFE" then other people who are scared to get pick on join in on the dog pile and add onto the fire. Eventually they get big egoed and there ya have it. EVERYONE has big egos and theyre all immature and dont know what the hell theyre talking about.

I dont think thats a fun place

chaoslord
9th March 2006, 2:29 AM
I agree in parts klducks, but I also am a firm believer in showing people the error of their ways, and showing people theyre wrong.

It can be done in a civilized manner, but a lot of times it probably needs to be done.

Pikachuism didn't even state a reason why. He just came out and said that Sundering Vitae is better. And truly, its only better in one thing: it can be cast for free.

I endorse Kaizer's product and/or service whole-heartedly.

And plus, most of the time, Kaizer does know what he's talking about, so there really won't be any too big of ego. If (and thats a big if) Kaizer somehow gets a big ego though, I'll take care of it.

klducks
9th March 2006, 2:54 AM
I agree in parts klducks, but I also am a firm believer in showing people the error of their ways, and showing people theyre wrong.
agreed. Showing people their wrong doings without making them feel bad at all is the way to go.

Pikachuism didn't even state a reason why. He just came out and said that Sundering Vitae is better. And truly, its only better in one thing: it can be cast for free.
it really is just a matter of opinion. But you can prove the other person wrong, even if they are wrong, w/o degrading their intelligence, using insults, etc.

And plus, most of the time, Kaizer does know what he's talking about, so there really won't be any too big of ego. If (and thats a big if) Kaizer somehow gets a big ego though, I'll take care of it.
I agree, he does have a lot of experience in this category. However.

;245;
I agree 100% with this statement. But i just want it to be expressed in a tone.

"Does Sundering Vitae destroy creatures? They dont really do the same thing so you cant really compare them." Is all really needed to be said. You shouldn't disregard their freedom of speech with "Dont speak of things you don't know". Or degrade their intelligence with "How can you possibly compare them like that."

I just wish the Alt. Card Discussion would be friendly and continue to have these type of arguments (even if one side is completely wrong), like pikachism bringing up sundering vitae as a better card w/o resulting in insulting or the like.

Felix Feral Fezirix
16th March 2006, 11:52 AM
I don't mind, my brain works at severely sub-sonic speed, so I don't think much when I hit that reply button.

skiboydoggy
20th March 2006, 7:54 AM
Do you even know what a compressed Wrath of God means anyway?
Destroys everything... So, when you compress it... Never mind.
So... Discussion, why does Mortify pwn... Gragh, we've been through that, never mind.