PDA

View Full Version : The Arcade

Thriller
26th February 2006, 12:01 AM
Ok, when I first joined there was a section of the VBulletin forums called the Arcade, where members and sometimes guests can play online games in the comfort of the forum they go to.

During an upgrade to a better version of VBulletin, the arcade was found to be incompatible. Now it seems that the arcade is compatible with the latest version of VBulletin. So i ask Serebii "Why not bring it back?"

It isn't a "lethal hack" which you seem to be so against, BMG has it and so does many other VBulletin forums. Please, i really miss it and I enjoyed playing those games.

PLANES CURE TOWERS
26th February 2006, 12:06 AM
Waste of time ftw.

-Josh

Serebii
26th February 2006, 12:07 AM
One of the problems we had with the Arcade when we had it implemented was that less than half the games would actually work, this may have been fixed by now, I'm not sure.

However, the games are to be stored on our web server and as you know games of that style do take up a bit of space and thus bandwidth and we cannot really spare the bandwidth each month to implement the arcade for our 8,000 active users to all possibly use it.

Sorry but it's just not financially feasible

Thriller
26th February 2006, 12:09 AM
Then how were you able to use it last year? We had the same amount of members then.

Serebii
26th February 2006, 12:11 AM
Actually we had less activity when we had the vBArcade. We rarely had more than 200 on at a time and 440 was our most users ever (A forum bug during server move and upgrades caused the figure to double...if it hadnt we would have boosted it to around that number regardless)

Thriller
26th February 2006, 12:14 AM
Are guests included in that number? If not...

Currently Active Users: 413 (208 members and 205 guests)

And the most active users number is fake? Hah thats funny.

Serebii
26th February 2006, 12:15 AM
Yes of course guests were included.

The fact is, our activity has doubled since then and we wouldnt be able to afford it

Virtual Headache
26th February 2006, 12:19 AM
Well, the Arcade might have been nice, but if we'd install hacks, we should install some more useful ones first^^

*cough* http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=96322 *cough*

Erus Black Mage
26th February 2006, 1:49 AM
I agree we should add some hacks

Silver Ryu
26th February 2006, 3:14 PM
Meh...I don't really miss the arcade. It wasn't that great, and about a quarter of the games were rather disturbing. (There was one where you were hitting a penguin with a spiky club, and its head went flying, spewing blood everywhere. And there was one where you were killing bunnies with a slegehammer.) I wouldn't really use it if it came back.

Magma Leader Maxie
26th February 2006, 4:09 PM
Erm, well like Serebii said, if bandwidth is the problem, then like other suggestions, this one won't be realised. Quite simple.

The arcade is probably the last hack I would suggest.

It's a separate part of the forum system, so it's not useful to the actual forum.
If games were needed, it would be better to put Java games on the main site rather than use the arcade, since the vBulletin creators created the forums for the purpose of being a message board. You can have a camera on your mobile phone, but a separately-bought one is much better. Same principle here.
It's evil and it eats bandwidth. 8O

Blazing Dragon
26th February 2006, 9:05 PM
One of the problems we had with the Arcade when we had it implemented was that less than half the games would actually work, this may have been fixed by now, I'm not sure.

However, the games are to be stored on our web server and as you know games of that style do take up a bit of space and thus bandwidth and we cannot really spare the bandwidth each month to implement the arcade for our 8,000 active users to all possibly use it.

Sorry but it's just not financially feasible

Speaking of which, how big exactly is your server? Not phyically, but about how many users online can it hold?

Fox
27th February 2006, 5:46 PM
Meh...I don't really miss the arcade. It wasn't that great, and about a quarter of the games were rather disturbing. (There was one where you were hitting a penguin with a spiky club, and its head went flying, spewing blood everywhere. And there was one where you were killing bunnies with a slegehammer.) I wouldn't really use it if it came back.
lol, I remember the penguin one... There was a clammor in chat a few days where people tried to get a high score lol... I doubt the Arcade will make a return due to the reasons Joe stated. If you have the need to play games online with fellow users, then just visit a free site and coordinate a meeting time and such.

btw, I'd pwn all Asteroids scores again (as I did on another arcade) :D