PDA

View Full Version : Pikachu Evolution Opinions

Phaarix
27th February 2006, 1:01 AM
Just in a curious sort of mood... this is going way back. Back in the first series when Ash was given the chance to evolve Pikachu, what *at the time* were you hoping would happen? And is your opinion any different now?

I personally at the time was really hoping he would evolve it :p. I guess that was just a part of being young - I didn't really think of how it would affect the storyline as a whole, all I really wanted was for Ash to have a "powerful" team rather than a team of companions. Now I can see the reasoning behind Ash's choice and agree with it. Somehow unevolved Pokemon seem to have a lot more personality or at least a lot different personality to that of their evolved forms. And that is I think why it was best Pikachu stayed as he was (kind of obvious to me now I'm older heh).

So back then what did you think? What is your opinion on this? Sorry if you see this topic as rather pointless, if you don't like it, don't reply. That simple. But as I said, I'm just in a curious mood :).

Jonouchi
27th February 2006, 1:06 AM
Pikachu is only for marketing purposes. It'll never evolve

MagicBox
27th February 2006, 1:32 AM
Back when Ash gave it the choice, I didn't want it to evolve. The series had pretty much just started and I was still getting used to it; I didn't want to see pikachu go so soon.

Nowadays, I've gotten quite tired of seeing Pikachu in every single episode doing the same old Thunderbolt. If evolving would make it more interesting, then by all means, it should. The only thing remotely cool or unique about it anymore is Volt Tackle (http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag156/021.jpg), which is just about one of the coolest attacks I've seen in the anime. That's not to say it wouldn't look cool with a Raichu, though.

ハルカ and ゴンベ
27th February 2006, 2:16 AM
Ok..I'm starting to think threads like this should become taboo...along with those Haruka's Zenigame bashing threads...

Pikachu WILL NOT evolve.

The Big Al
27th February 2006, 2:44 AM
Ok..I'm starting to think threads like this should become taboo...along with those Haruka's Zenigame bashing threads...
Hey, it's gets destroyed on Thursday and I'm happy.

Should Pikachu evolve...yes
Could Pikachu evolve...yes
WILL Pikachu evolve...NO :(.
Pikachu will remain a Pikachu because the writers don't care about Pikachu's development. They care about making money off Pikachu plushies. It's sickening and while I believe Pikachu should be given a chance to rethink his decision, it won't happen.

Geki
27th February 2006, 2:48 AM
I hope Pikachu never evolves. Pikachu's my favorite Pokemon, and it will never evolve into a damn Raichu. NEVER!!

The Big Al
27th February 2006, 4:05 AM
At least Pikachu can get along quite well not evolving. He's no longer an uberchu and is quite skilled. Unlike certain other Pokemon we know.

Phaarix
27th February 2006, 11:16 AM

Pikachu WILL NOT evolve.

Seriously did you even read my damned post? Or just stop at the title? I AM NOT ASKING IF PIKACHU SHOULD EVOLVE. Please, PLEASE read the post before replying >_>. This applies to most of you others as well. I count a total of ONE person who seems to have actually read my whole post before jumping to conclusions. Congratulations MagicBox, and thankyou for actually reading and understanding my question (I'm sure a few of you others read it as well but ~Satoshi~ you obviously didn't even bother to read the first sentence, thanks for replying to my admittedly slightly misleading thread title though! Great job on that one!).

What I asked is WHEN Ash had the chance to evolve Pikachu were you for it or against it? And now that you are older and more mature (I hope - enough that you can read anyway >_>), have your views changed on what he should have done AT THE TIME. Once again I am NOT asking if you think Pikachu should evolve. Sorry this just really frustrates me, hopefully I'll get some more intelligent responses now. Please refrain from posting here if you don't want to post as regards the actual topic.

Yes I'm in a bad mood now...

/end rant :(

On a slightly (slightly) more positive note, I completely agree with what was said about the Thunderbolt. It has to be THE most overrused move - it was cool the first few times, but after the eleventy billionth time its not entertaining - it's almost UNentertaining. It's a terrible cliche of a finish to what was/could have been a very decent battle.

The Big Al
27th February 2006, 11:38 AM
At the time, it was the right decision to not evolve. Pikachu was too young and inexperienced. Besides, honor was on the line.

Phaarix
27th February 2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for reading :p I'm over it now lol, I just get kinda offended when people make a negative reply to a thread of mine they haven't even read. While I admit that the title is slightly misleading it's still common courtesy to read the post before bashing it. I just started the thread as I was suddenly curious as to peoples opinions regarding this. Why? I have no idea, but meh, here it is :).

ChaosMage
27th February 2006, 6:06 PM
Evolved pokemon like Grovyle/the second evolution of Grovyle which I can't name because it's a spoiler, have more personality in one leaf than Treecko had in its whole head (and that's a big head, dudes!), and Swellow, Lombre/Ludicolo and Combusken far outrock Taillow, Lotad and Torchic. And not to mention the other recent evolutions, where pokemon have had more developed and cool personalities, as well as battling prowess. As far as I'm concerned, Pikachu should have evolved in Kanto, when it had the chance.

Phaarix
27th February 2006, 8:45 PM
Yeah, as I said, they (in my opinion) have at least a noticeably different personality when evolved. That's why I think now, that Kanto was too early. Back then I just wanted Ash to have all the most powerful Pokemon possible, but now I realise there's more to it than that .

I can see why you would have rathered him evolve it back then though. I guess what I see as an evolved Pokemon having in some cases (not all) a lesser personality, does not go for everyone :).

ChaosMage
27th February 2006, 9:07 PM
I can see why you would have rathered him evolve it back then though. I guess what I see as an evolved Pokemon having in some cases (not all) a lesser personality, does not go for everyone :).

You give me some examples of pokemon whose personality didn't benefit from evolution- here's some who did feel the benefits;

Treecko and Grovyle
Phanpy
Torchic
Taillow
Lotad
Mudkip

And I personally feel that Pikachu, Corphish and the others would benefit too.

The Big Al
27th February 2006, 9:23 PM
Actually, all the Pokemon through the series benefitted personality wise from evolution.

ChaosMage
27th February 2006, 9:38 PM
Actually, all the Pokemon through the series benefitted personality wise from evolution.

Actually, May's Wurmple had a better personality than Beautifly, and Glalie certainly wasn't as funny as Snorunt (although all it really did was battle, if it had evolved earlier things would have been very different, and the bits of personality we did see were certainly still similar to Snorunt). But both benefitted hugely in battle, so it's forgivable.

Raevell
28th February 2006, 5:16 AM
I can't remember my feelings that far back. I don't think I wanted it to evolve... In fact, I can't imagine myself wanting it to evolve because I was a mega-mega Pikachu fan in the beginning.

As of now I want the thing to evolve. I would love to see a Raichu. Not only that, I would especially love to see Ash's expression when Raichu tried to jump back up on his shoulder just like old times... XD; *boom*

CyberCubed
28th February 2006, 5:21 AM
Raichu is too fat to sit on Ash's shoulder. :p

Raevell
28th February 2006, 5:27 AM

Yes, CyberCubed, that was the joke. ;) They of course would have to do some huge emotional episode over Pikachu (now Raichu) having to deal and adjust to its new size... And the fact that it can no longer hitch a free ride.

Raichu-chan
28th February 2006, 5:28 AM
At the time, I really hoped he would evolve it. Raichu was my favorite Pokemon and it still is. But I now know that his Pikachu will never evolve and that's just how it's going to be. Pikachu gets all of the attention, we see it in every friggin one of Satoshi's battles. It gets really boring seeing thunderbolt after thunderbolt.

Even on the merchandise, it's Pikachu everywhere! It's hard finding any Pokemon merchandise with a Raichu, it's mostly all Pokemon like Pikachu, Pichu and other really cutesy Pokemon. I'm just really sick of seeing Pikachu everything -_-;;

Phaarix
28th February 2006, 10:36 AM
You give me some examples of pokemon whose personality didn't benefit from evolution- here's some who did feel the benefits;

Treecko and Grovyle
Phanpy
Torchic
Taillow
Lotad
Mudkip

And I personally feel that Pikachu, Corphish and the others would benefit too.

It's really all down to personal opinion. What you see as a Pokemon who's personality changed for the better in my eyes may have changed for the worse. I for example, really liked Treecko as he used to be :(. Of course I'm not saying that this means Treecko's personality WAS better. It was just more suited to my taste.

I agree with a few of the others though. Yeah there are those Pokemon who I like better in their evolved forms, but I personally enjoyed more the unevolved forms of most Pokemon in the anime. Maybe it's their simplicity or something, who knows :>.

I'm really starting to regret my poor choice of title now lol, most people will probably just disregard the thread now thinking it's just another "Will Pikachu Evolve" thread :/.

Yamato-san
1st March 2006, 11:47 AM

You never know, I mean, size varies. When Satoshi had Juptor, he was about as tall as he's listed in the Pokedex (half of Satoshi's height), but when we first saw Natchi's Juptor in the watermelon field, that thing was about as tall as Satoshi. BTW...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Yamato-san/95fe4fe1.jpg

This is what Raichu looks like in the Dengeki Pikachu manga. Sure looks a lot slimmer than it's portrayed in the rest of the franchise, doesn't it?

And Phaarix, I don't see any problem with Kimori's personality after he evolved to Juptor, in fact, other than the innevitable factoring of his character growth and development, I think it was more or less the same personality. I think the problem was that the anime writers weren't showing off his personality very much. He stubbornly refused to go down against Senri's Kekking, activating Overgrowth, but then that aspect of him disappeared all the way until the episode where he evolves into Jukain almost a hundred episodes later. You could argue that, after he evolved, he was no longer a small, unevolved Pokemon who'd struggle to perfect techniques against big, strong opponents like Habunake and Hariteyama, and much like the people who missed the way Kantou Satoshi would struggle, you missed this kind of development as well. However, this kind of logic fails when you consider that, even evolved, Juptor still went on to faced a large number of powerful opponents who could give him quite a run for his money, several of which he lost to.

Phaarix
3rd March 2006, 9:09 AM
And Phaarix, I don't see any problem with Kimori's personality after he evolved to Juptor, in fact, other than the innevitable factoring of his character growth and development, I think it was more or less the same personality. I think the problem was that the anime writers weren't showing off his personality very much. He stubbornly refused to go down against Senri's Kekking, activating Overgrowth, but then that aspect of him disappeared all the way until the episode where he evolves into Jukain almost a hundred episodes later. You could argue that, after he evolved, he was no longer a small, unevolved Pokemon who'd struggle to perfect techniques against big, strong opponents like Habunake and Hariteyama, and much like the people who missed the way Kantou Satoshi would struggle, you missed this kind of development as well. However, this kind of logic fails when you consider that, even evolved, Juptor still went on to faced a large number of powerful opponents who could give him quite a run for his money, several of which he lost to.

Hmm, well I haven't actually seen the anime in quite a good while (at least a year I'm sure). Perhaps it wasn't his personality, I really can't remember. I know I preferred(sp?) Treecko though, and I'm sticking with that no matter what it was about him I liked so much :).

Jo-Jo
3rd March 2006, 10:26 AM
My opinion on whether Pikachu should have evolved back then:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My opinion on whether Pikachu should have evolved now:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This is nothing to do with cuteness. It's just that having Pikachu evolve would undermine pretty much the one characterisation point the li'l chu has been given in the show. IMO, when Pokemon like Pikachu and Bulbasaur have gone on the record as saying "no thanks" to evolution, having them evolve anyway just to pander to the evolution fanboys would come across as severely cheap. It's basically saying, "ah, what the hell, screw characterisation and theme, all we want are POWERHOUSES!"

Phaarix
3rd March 2006, 3:27 PM
My opinion on whether Pikachu should have evolved back then:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My opinion on whether Pikachu should have evolved now:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This is nothing to do with cuteness. It's just that having Pikachu evolve would undermine pretty much the one characterisation point the li'l chu has been given in the show. IMO, when Pokemon like Pikachu and Bulbasaur have gone on the record as saying "no thanks" to evolution, having them evolve anyway just to pander to the evolution fanboys would come across as severely cheap. It's basically saying, "ah, what the hell, screw characterisation and theme, all we want are POWERHOUSES!"

Agree there. I was a a kid back when the episode first aired (in my country), so naturally I was all for the whole "powerhouse" thing. I cared little for story, plot, characterisation, all I wanted to see was Ash having a superior battling team. I'm sure I wasn't the only one (as a kid) that was all for the powerful pokemon over those that contribute more to a decent storyline and atmosphere (or something). I personally don't see a huge, hulking, armoured beast to be as much of a lovable, and loyal friend. Yeah sure they can still be friends but it seems more believable to make friends with a pokemon that is cuddly or at least not blatantly obviously built for the sole purpose of winning a battle (Ok, so Raichu doesn't quite look like that (and I'm not necessarily talking about Raichu here anyway), but I'm sure you can get where I'm coming from - whether you agree or not).

And in case you misunderstand me, I believe there should be those Pokemon in Ash's team that ARE there to win his battles. But I believe the main Pokemon in the team - ie. Pikachu, should remain in a form more suited to the whole friendship and loyalty thing.

God it's hard posting after midnight >_>. I always look at posts like this the next day and think "Wow, I must have been tired - it'll be a miracle if anyone actually gets the point of the post".

pigs do fly
3rd March 2006, 8:30 PM
I wish pikachu would evolve but it won't and all the pokemon toys out are basically pikachu ones! no cool pokemon like scizor:(

Kabuto
3rd March 2006, 11:31 PM
Pikachu is a little tiring but Ash and Raichu just don't seem like a good combo to me.

Race T
4th March 2006, 7:16 PM
I would love to see pikachu mate and have a pichu.

But that's me

Astinus
5th March 2006, 12:44 PM
When that episode (Lt. Surge) first aired, I was eleven. Even then, I saw the good characterization of Pikachu, and realised that evolution would only kill the little thing. Now, it could evolve and I wouldn't care. Because the thing does diddily-squat now. (At 5:30 in the morning, I throw around words...) If Pikachu still had the same personality now as it did then, I would like it more.

But, people are right. Pikachu is a marketing god. Little kids lobe Pikachu mucho, so it's here to stay.

Some Pokémon get better personalities when they evolve, such as Charmander to Charmeleon. The creature wanted to battle, but not under its trainers command. Once it evolved into Charizard, it just did nothing. It just beame a powerhouse. Treecko had a better personality than Grovyle. Treecko was just 'the tough guy with a soft heart' kind of Pokémon. Grovyle just became that beginning powerhouse. *sighs*

♥Princess Ketchum♥
7th March 2006, 9:59 PM
Would have been cool if it did evolve but pikachu is alright as it is

TheTurquoiseTauros!
7th March 2006, 10:32 PM
they should NOT let pikachu evolve

DKzM0mA
8th March 2006, 12:52 AM
I would prefer it to stay the same. Honestly, I can't imagine Raichu doing all the crazy stunts Ash makes Pikachu go through, like the crazy twister thing against Aidenz Milotic...

intergalactic platypus
8th March 2006, 1:44 AM
In a way I would like it to evolve, but in a way I don't. I would if Pikachus character hadn't already been established as anti-evolution, but at this point it would seem odd

Aptenodytes
9th March 2006, 5:49 AM
Pikachu won't evolve, but it would be nice to see a Raichu with Ash. Maybe in the final episode of Pokemon Pikachu will evolve o.O

Kabuto
9th March 2006, 5:52 AM
I doubt Pikachu will evolve in the final episode. Unless the writers want to piss off the majority of anime fans but then the anime would be over and moaning fans wouldn't be able to do a thing.

Phaarix
9th March 2006, 2:49 PM
Lol @ the amount of people that don't seem to read my original post. I'm ashamed to say that my topic has officially deteriorated into yet another "Should Pikachu Evolve" (despite my intentions). Ah well forget it. I guess it's easier to just let people talk about what they want :(.

RIP Topic, I shall remember you fondly :(.

zuloon
10th March 2006, 6:22 AM
I wanted Pikachu to evolve. Raichu is really cool, and Pikachu really is just a bad pokemon. Raichu is better in every way other than the light ball.

Nielkis
10th March 2006, 9:32 PM
When Ash's Chamander ;004; evoled into a Charzard ;006; its personality changed! I was once a sweet and friendly little chamander and when it evoled into a Charzard, it was really mean to Ash and he didnt want to listen to him!

Kabuto
10th March 2006, 10:38 PM
Well evolution changes personaity. Same with Snorunt and Glalie. But think of times it hasn't Treecko Grovyle and Phanpy.

Leumas
11th March 2006, 4:44 AM
Back then, I didn't want it to evolve. And I still don't want it to evolve now. Pikachu is fine just the way he is, and if you don't like it, well, there isn't really much you can do about it.

Leumas

ArrEmmDee
11th March 2006, 4:53 AM
The Lt. Serge episode was the first episode I saw. Of course, I'd seen Pikachu and Raichu prior to through the cards, though that was as cards, and we know the Mitsuhiro Pikachu in the Base Set was really ugly, so I didn't understand the Pika-hype.

Did I want Pikachu to evolve then? Yes. Very much yes.

Do I want him to evolve now? Unless Pikachu does a total 180 and reverts to his original personality, I really don't care. What do I mean? Go grab an old episode of Pokémon, and take note of the way Pikachu would have his goofy little sweatdrops and do all sorts of crazy things, like drinking tea or pulling out a sleeping bag-- he did wierd things and he was good comic relief.

Now he just steals Ash's hat at the beginning of each little episode intro thing and Thunderbolts anything that moves.

However, as we all know and someone's already mentioned, it doesn't matter, since Raichu is too large and fat for Ash's shoulder. ((Though technically the old Pikachu design have a round fat thing and he just ended up being drastically slimmed and made tall to become a wonderful marketing tool. T_T))

pikachu146
11th March 2006, 8:31 AM
Pikachu should never evolve.Pikachu is the main pokemon character in the anime,it appears in almost every episodes.If pikachu evolves,pokemon titles will have to be changed.Pikachu is already powerful and doesn't need to evolve.Besides,Pikachu doesn't want to evolve too.

If Pikachu evolved into a Raichu and it still didn't want to go in a pokeball,then what would it be like when a large lightning mouse always follows him?So the Raichu must stay in the pokeball and Ash will have no partner around.

Mika_Coyote
12th March 2006, 4:02 PM
When that episode aired(year 2000... yeah, we were sooo late), I was eleven, and was a real Pokémaniac in the making. I remember I was in the very same dilemma as Ash, but in a way, I wanted Pikachu to evolve. I thought, even though I was a rabid Pikachu fan, that Raichu was pretty cool, and that what Ash really needed was to progress in the Gym challenge. When Pikachu slapped the Thunderstone off Ash's hand, I was in shock!

Now, I don't think Pikachu should evolve. Even though his personality should be developed a little further, he likes to be just like he is, and I'm not talking about the merchandise or anything like that. I think he's cute the way he is, and even though I'd like to see Raichus more often, I'd prefer it was not him. XD

I hope to have followed the topic... ^^;

Evanji Axu
12th March 2006, 4:38 PM
Nope, he shouldn't. It just doesn't seem right. Pikachu's not a fighting machine, he's Ash's loyal friend.

jindahouse
12th March 2006, 5:46 PM
Then I was like no dont evolve it but now im like evolve it. Either the story should go to max in orre receiving his starter pokemon or pikachu should evolve and stay in its pokeball its like the love thing with brock and team rockets motto it gets old.

but we all know on th last ever episode pikachu will evolve into riachu and thats how it will nd and ash will be a pokemon master

Yamato-san
12th March 2006, 11:47 PM
but we all know on th last ever episode pikachu will evolve into riachu and thats how it will nd and ash will be a pokemon master

dammit, will people stop stating that as if it were fact? NOTHING is known about the final episode. We don't know how many years down the line it'll be, what could occur, etc. However, with the way things are in the anime right now, I can assume that it's definitely not gonna end up as most fans expect: Pikachu evolves, Nyaasu-tachi turn against Sakaki and help Satoshi, and Satoshi and Kasumi share a passionate kiss shortly before Satoshi goes to take down Sakaki and his organization, with Sakaki stating that he's Satoshi's father at some point.

Captain Brain
26th March 2006, 2:01 AM
The question of Pikachu's evolution has been adresses in every season. Pikachu just dosen't want to. Period;025;