PDA

View Full Version : Newest member: Validated or not?

Locke Yggdrasill
1st March 2006, 1:49 AM
Well, after struggling on this for awhile, I thought I'd openly ask this: Are the newest members that are listed at the bottom of the forum validated? I've tried to view their profile many times, and yet, I get the page that I would get as if I was trying to access the mod forums or the admin CP. At first I thought this might have been to protect newer members from spammers who would send them endless spam PMs, but I figured that was illogical and not something that a forum would do.

Shining Mew
1st March 2006, 1:54 AM
You mean these new members...

"Welcome to our newest member, The_Rogue_Farfetch'd"

When people join here, Joe must validate their account before they can post, have their profiles viewed, etc. I think he does it daily. I honestly dont remember it being that way when I first joined, but I guess it changed.

Basically its a way to just protect the forums from spammers/evadors/whatnot that decide to make multiple accounts... you can deny the account so it cant post at all. But youd have to check the IPs on that for matches. ::shrug::

I doubt I just said anything logical as I woke up from a nap just now

Virtual Headache
1st March 2006, 1:55 AM
You mean this?

Threads: 26,786, Posts: 1,373,670, Members: 8,516
Welcome to our newest member, The_Rogue_Farfetch'd
No they are not validated.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
1st March 2006, 2:18 AM
Joe has to go through ALL of the profiles? that's like trying to catch a pokemon per second x_x

Magma Leader Maxie
1st March 2006, 3:33 PM
Joe has to go through ALL of the profiles? that's like trying to catch a pokemon per second x_x

No, he just clicks a button.

Alfonso
1st March 2006, 4:04 PM
It's not just Joe either. Any Admin can validate a newbie's account.

Serebii
1st March 2006, 4:58 PM
It's not just Joe either. Any Admin can validate a newbie's account.
No...its just me, the other admins have no idea what IPs to look out for

Twitch
2nd March 2006, 3:24 PM
No...its just me, the other admins have no idea what IPs to look out for;227; So you're saying that you have memorized every single IP that for example G80 has had? Couldn't you just put them in a sticky in the "Admins and Mods" forums to save yourself some effort?

P.S. If there already is such a sticky, disregard that part of the post. I'm not a Mod/Admin, ergo I have no idea.

Serebii
2nd March 2006, 3:44 PM
I could do that, Im not going to however

Hiroki
15th March 2006, 5:35 PM
No...its just me, the other admins have no idea what IPs to look out for

I bet he just writes it down on a piece of paper or something.http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Shigaiko
15th March 2006, 5:42 PM
I bet he just writes it down on a piece of paper or something.http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
I can tell you from experience that once you've seen the same IP a couple of times, it becomes no chore to remember it. That, and an IP check takes just a couple of clicks.

Hiroki
15th March 2006, 5:44 PM
I can tell you from experience that once you've seen the same IP a couple of times, it becomes no chore to remember it. That, and an IP check takes just a couple of clicks.

I've seen it in the few times in the past, when I used to make random Invisionfree forums. A bit of a hassle really.

The Organizer
20th March 2006, 12:59 AM
Not to be rude, but it is not updated daily, i had to wait almost 2.5 days. Call me impatiant but i thought i'd never be let in. O.o

BTW: This is my first day