PDA

View Full Version : Longer Custom titles

Thriller
1st March 2006, 6:39 PM
Just asking, is it possible to let us have longer custom titles?

Fox
1st March 2006, 7:42 PM
It is possible, but I don't see any need to extend the titles. But yeah, it is possible...

Bulk
1st March 2006, 7:44 PM
I, personally, don't see the need but if other people want it, I see no reason why it shouldn't happen.

Fox
1st March 2006, 7:57 PM
I don't see it being an unreasonable request, however it is kind of ">>". After all, Joe never did want to activate custom user titles in the first place, and it took forever for him to change his mind. If people push it further to want them longer, well... yeah lol. I'm not saying that this is pushing it though, afterall, the question was just if it were possible.

Phantom_Bugsy
1st March 2006, 7:57 PM
The shortness is a little irritating sometimes, imo...

Does it take up any more bandwidth or whatever?

Angeling
1st March 2006, 8:05 PM
Well, I think the current limit is fine though there were times I wish for a wee bit more characters, but it is fine most of the time. But hey, if Joe was convinced to activate custom user titles with the initiative of not having any, we should just be grateful we have some.

And a question from me concerning the length. What's the current character limit, including spaces?

zeppelin
1st March 2006, 8:17 PM
^ its 20..

Locke Yggdrasill
1st March 2006, 9:35 PM
Jeebus, you read my mind. I was going to ressurect my old phrase " Man, Misty really let herself go in her offtime", with that as my user title and an avatar of Masamune, but I was shocked to find that the Usertitle length forbades it.

Ohtachi
1st March 2006, 9:39 PM
I'm perfectly fine with our User Titles. Having a big User Title that goes on for a while isn't what it's meant for. User Titles should be short and mean something. They're fine as it is in my personal opinion.

Jeebus, you read my mind. I was going to ressurect my old phrase " Man, Misty really let herself go in her offtime", with that as my user title and an avatar of Masamune, but I was shocked to find that the Usertitle length forbades it.

You could always make room in your signature.

Jetx
1st March 2006, 9:52 PM
I agree, we really need longer titles. Sometimes I use them to express myself, and I end up having to make it have bad grammer or it doesn't have room. More space would be awesome, I know we can have more space. because Serebii used to have the "your friendly neighborhood serebii" or whatever. Unless it takes up more banwidth, more space would be awesome.

I don't like my current one anyway, but there's no room for anything better. i might go back to my good old marshtomp avatar and change my title. but now I'm drifting off topic...

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
1st March 2006, 9:57 PM
one person had a really long user title. they had an avatar of may and it said "humnahumnahumnahumnahumna" and i know that exceeded. also, when ever i don't use spaces, for some reason i can type more in the user title space.

Jetx
1st March 2006, 9:59 PM
That once happened to me. i was so glad and I typed out a really longer title. But it trimmed it down to 20 characters. it shouldn't happen often.

Eszett
1st March 2006, 10:02 PM
Call me a stickler but I'm fine with the title. I have no plans as of current to change my usertitle; besides of which, it is one of the most trivial matters that define the people here. While I have never so much as glanced at a non-custom title, the sigs for instance capture my attention a bit more. I wouldn't care either way considering how non-notable the titles are.

Ohtachi
1st March 2006, 10:11 PM
Call me a stickler but I'm fine with the title. I have no plans as of current to change my username; besides of which, it is one of the most trivial matters that define the people here. While I have never so much as glanced at a non-custom title, the sigs for instance capture my attention a bit more. I wouldn't care either way considering how non-notable the titles are.

Took the words right out of my mouth. It's like: save the User Titles for the Game Forum, ya' know? Signatures define people much more than the User Titles. Things to consider when picking a User Title:

1) Should be short, simple, and define you somewhat. Shouldn't be completely random.
2) Is going to be something you will stick with for a while. Try not ot give the mods too much hassle by changing your User Title all of the time.
3) Nothing inappropriate sounding. Common sense kind of thing.

Consider this and your User Title shouldn't be such a big deal. ;/

gs135790
1st March 2006, 10:34 PM
Its fine how it is right now. You can fit most things. A limit of 25 would be perfect for me, I usually want like 2 or 3 more characters.

MondoTR
1st March 2006, 10:39 PM
Some of the ranks are longer than the max custom length. And the max length of custom ones was longer before regular members were allowed to have custome ones. Because I remember I was smod and had "Neoeeveeevolutionsshipper" as my usertitle then I changed it then everyone could use custom titles and now only "Neoeeveeevolutionssh" fits. So it's five shorter.

Jetx
1st March 2006, 10:57 PM
Between twenty five and thrity would be enough. Just enough to allow us to use preoper grammer and add a couple of words. I don't mind admins having the ability to have longer ones. But I'd still like to have one of around that length as it was mentioned earlier...

Altair
1st March 2006, 10:59 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth. It's like: save the User Titles for the Game Forum, ya' know? Signatures define people much more than the User Titles. Things to consider when picking a User Title:

1) Should be short, simple, and define you somewhat. Shouldn't be completely random.
2) Is going to be something you will stick with for a while. Try not ot give the mods too much hassle by changing your User Title all of the time.
3) Nothing inappropriate sounding. Common sense kind of thing.

Consider this and your User Title shouldn't be such a big deal. ;/
(In the bold) How is this giving the mods a hassle?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how it would cause the mods a problem when you change your user title. But on topic, I don't consider the user title so much of a deal. I think we have plenty characters as it is.

ShadowKitsune
2nd March 2006, 12:04 AM
Oh come on, 20 characters is way too short for really any noticable User Titles. 30 would be enough, but of course, good ol' Serebii [/sarcasm] won't allow it.

Ohtachi
2nd March 2006, 12:10 AM
If everyone considered what I posted, then the User Name Change thread wouldn't exist. Mods wouldn't have to take time to always change other members User Titles. Then again, lots of members like changing their User Titles all of the time. ;/

Fox
2nd March 2006, 12:11 AM
Oh come on, 20 characters is way too short for really any noticable User Titles. 30 would be enough, but of course, good ol' Serebii [/sarcasm] won't allow it.
That's exactly how NOT to get him to do anything that you guys want/request. 20 characters is enough, 'cause its a User Title, not a caption, not an autobiography. Its just supposed to be plain, simple, and to the point.

Anyway, like I said, that's one way to not get him to do things, and just a few minutes ago, I reasoned with him to consider it, and he was on a more positive side leaning towards it.

I'm not sure if he'll change his mind about it because of that, but yeah, good job :D

If everyone considered what I posted, then the User Name Change thread wouldn't exist. Mods wouldn't have to take time to always change other members User Titles. Then again, lots of members like changing their User Titles all of the time. ;/
Mods don't change people's User Titles, you do that yourself. Admin need to change your name though.
-----
(below)

KaiserRyu, delete your post. Quick! ._.;
Even if he/she did, Joe would still be able to see it, plus its quoted in my post and your post gives it way, so lol. I could've removed the post, but honestly, its to prove a point. Joe was actually willing to do it, but it just takes one sarcastic comment to change everything.

So much for this topic. It might as well be closed, unless Joe has a change of heart overnight or so chooses to ignore said post.
-----
(further below)

Basically what I said in a way. Things would also be simpler if Serebii alowd us to change our own User Titles, but their are too many idiots and it would become a problem.

Username = User Title

I've been using the above conversion throughout this thread.
You're using incorrect terminology though. Your User name is your user name. Your user title is what appears below the User Name.
-----
(even further below)

That wasn't the question, we want to know why you decided to make the limit so dang short.

Lol Locke.
Your right, serebii or the mods might get all like "Oh noz.....ur spaming u must be banned!!111"

hey joe,

sajdjquickgivesjdfsdfmeashdlsyourkadkshdpasssjkdfw ord.
>>
-----
(so far down I might as well make a new post in this thread)

When I've been saying User Title, I mean Username. I forget they both have seperate meanings. Sorry. ?_?
thou art forgiven :D

Locke Yggdrasill
2nd March 2006, 12:13 AM
KaiserRyu, delete your post. Quick! ._.;

Ohtachi
2nd March 2006, 12:15 AM
Its just supposed to be plain, simple, and to the point.

Basically what I said in a way. Things would also be simpler if Serebii alowd us to change our own User Titles, but their are too many idiots and it would become a problem.

Mods don't change people's User Titles, you do that yourself. Admin need to change your name though.

Username = User Title

I've been using the above conversion throughout this thread.

Serebii
2nd March 2006, 12:16 AM
Everyone can change their own User Titles o,o

ShadowKitsune
2nd March 2006, 12:18 AM
That wasn't the question, we want to know why you decided to make the limit so dang short.

Lol Locke.
Your right, serebii or the mods might get all like "Oh noz.....ur spaming u must be banned!!111"

hey joe,

sajdjquickgivesjdfsdfmeashdlsyourkadkshdpasssjkdfw ord.

Ohtachi
2nd March 2006, 12:18 AM
Everyone can change their own User Titles o,o

When I've been saying User Title, I mean Username. I forget they both have seperate meanings. Sorry. ?_?

PLANES CURE TOWERS
2nd March 2006, 1:06 AM
And just what would you fill the extra space with, exactly? Oh, let me guess, you're planning on telling the world how you are UBERIFIC or something crappy like that? And you need to fill every possible ounce of space you can find. Hello signatures. The member title limit is fine as it is. yes there have been a few times where I've wanted something that exceeds the limit, but then we can just shorten things.

Waste of time, although, if it isn't terribly hard to implement, which of course it isn't, then add 10 characters or something. :/

-Josh

Wolf Goddess
2nd March 2006, 1:14 AM
I find it funny that the maximum characters for custom titles is twenty when we have a default title that's thirty-two characters long; however, it really isn't a big deal to begin with.

Ohtachi
2nd March 2006, 1:20 AM
And just what would you fill the extra space with, exactly? Oh, let me guess, you're planning on telling the world how you are UBERIFIC or something crappy like that?

What else would someone fill their Username with? Why else would they want a longer Username? Exactly. What is the default Username, anyways? It's been so long.

MondoTR
2nd March 2006, 1:20 AM
I find it funny that the maximum characters for custom titles is twenty when we have a default title that's thirty-two characters long.
I already mentioned that, I just didn't include the numbers. :p

Ohtachi, you're still mixing them up. It's usertitle. And the ranks are listed in the newbie section in one of the stickies.

Tropical Spirit
2nd March 2006, 1:21 AM
I find it funny that the maximum characters for custom titles is twenty when we have a default title that's thirty-two characters long; however, it really isn't a big deal to begin with.
Same goes for those humongous pre-made avatars and the fact the costom ones mods can have follow a 80x80 limit, IIRC.

Anyways, I agree with -Crono-. It *is* small, but it also isn't a very big issue. You don't need to fill every space you find with loads of stuff, really. Most titles can fit within that limits, and if yours can't, well, find a way to make it shorter or find another thing. It isn't a big issue, but could be implemented.

Ohtachi
2nd March 2006, 1:23 AM
Ohtachi, you're still mixing them up. It's usertitle. And the ranks are listed in the newbie section in one of the stickies.

;_; I've been talking about Usernames all along. I've just been calling our Usernames, Usertitles. That's all.

Btw, I noticed that this is in the wrong forum. Should be in SPPf Help & Newbie forum as this forum is for the Website, not the forums.

Ilex
2nd March 2006, 3:27 AM
20 characters is more than enough. It's a title, a name. Not a signature, that's what the thing under your posts is for.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
2nd March 2006, 3:41 AM
mostly you just need to use your user title for a witty saying for your avatar. that's the main purpose. i like to keep it in the ranking style, people can see your awesome rank. i've been here for only two months yet i'm already a rising trainer, only 25 posts away from johto champion.

Ohtachi
2nd March 2006, 3:49 AM
mostly you just need to use your user title for a witty saying for your avatar. that's the main purpose. i like to keep it in the ranking style, people can see your awesome rank. i've been here for only two months yet i'm already a rising trainer, only 25 posts away from johto champion.

Jeez, I really screwed things up by mistaking the Usertitle for the Username. This topic is on Usernames, not Usertitles.

DJ Panic!
2nd March 2006, 3:56 AM
this won't benefit to the forum one bit.
longer titles mean more cursing,stupid things, someone could do.
Honestly, 20 is way more than enough.

Mequuh
2nd March 2006, 3:58 AM
Whats stoping people from putting stupid cursings and such in a 20 character user tittle? Most cuse words are 4 letters.

Ohtachi
2nd March 2006, 4:00 AM
But it is open to more stupid phrases which previously coldn't be put in Usernames. Bottom line, the majority doesn't seem to care or indorse in this idea. Need I say more?

Mequuh
2nd March 2006, 4:02 AM
More space.. More stupidness.. Oh ya.. I'm such a silly goose.. :p I don't care either way, but I don't see bad coming from it. And it seems some do want it. So even if we don't care some do and if it doesn't matter I see no reason not to.

Shigaiko
2nd March 2006, 4:07 AM
Last I checked, 'user title' meant 'user title', not 'avatar caption'.

I personally would like to see it extended, because of the vB bug that won't let me have more than 2 Japanese characters in my title.

Fatal
2nd March 2006, 6:27 AM
I'm perfectly satisfied with the current length of twenty, however, it would be nice if spaces didn't count as characters. :/
Perhaps a length of twenty-five to allow room for twenty letters as well as spaces, but anything else is too much.

-Fatal

Angeling
2nd March 2006, 6:54 AM
I'm perfectly satisfied with the current length of twenty, however, it would be nice if spaces didn't count as characters. :/
Perhaps a length of twenty-five to allow room for twenty letters as well as spaces, but anything else is too much.

-Fatal

Though spaces do count in Microsoft Word, but just saying that spaces are considered as characters probably anywhere.

I honestly don't see what's wrong with the current length. Just be grateful we can change our custom user titles, than none. Joe was kind enough to do so, and whatever he chooses about this, well, so be it.
That's how I view it anyway. :/

Kirby
2nd March 2006, 11:52 AM

Just like he didn't allow the use of custom user titles for normal members, or the use of Pokemon Manga avvies :)

The character limit is fine, besides, you guys should be happy we even got custom user titles ;/

Judai Yuki
2nd March 2006, 1:14 PM
I like how mines is so people can try to figure out how many posts i've done.

Shigaiko
2nd March 2006, 1:24 PM
I like how mines is so people can try to figure out how many posts i've done.
http://i2.*******.com/oub8z7.png

View your profile in either the V9.0 or V7.0 layouts.

Orion-Sama
2nd March 2006, 4:49 PM
View your profile in either the V9.0 or V7.0 layouts.
Hehe. Good find. What took me almost 4 years to accomplish at TPM was fulfilled in 1 year here. XDD.

Oh well. Longer custom titles? Not needed. It would be nice, but it's just an add-on. 20 characters will suffice most of the time...

MaskedManAbsolkid
2nd March 2006, 5:19 PM
That post thing works with any layout.

They're OK as they are, I'd say. A lot of good lines fit in it.

Phantom_Bugsy
2nd March 2006, 7:13 PM
N00bet (KaiserRyu), stfu. (And no, I'm not just calling him that to be a *****, he's my friend IRL and we call him that, the end D: ) Not the place.

Okay, look. To limit more confusion, let's put a minidiagram. Take what appears next to my avatar for example.

Phantom_Bugsy <--That's a user NAME.
Le Malade Imaginaire <--That's a user TITLE.

The user TITLE is what we want to be able to have longer. You change it yourself under Edit Profile in User CP, the mods don't have to change it for you. In case anyone else gets confused.

The people saying 'OMG JUST BE GLAD JOE LET US HAVE USER TITLES!!111!1', you guys should probably lay off. For your own good. Liek, srsly. It's annoying. When people say Joe has a band of a**kissers following him everywhere, it's things like THAT that make them think so. We're not *complaining*, per se, we just want what we already have to be better to suit people's needs a little more.

And for the record, I don't necessarily wish for an enormous increase in the length of a user title either. Like has been suggested, maybe 5 or 6 more letters would be a great help. (30 as a limit would be great, but let's not push it.)

Altair
2nd March 2006, 7:23 PM
Well... I still think you shouldn't say that word, but please, let's not start an argument.
As for my new opinion... With the addition of User Ranks Icons, I think that the User Name/Title area has now been stuffed pretty full. I think it'll draw you plenty of attention, and a couple of more characters might make the area look cluttered, imho.

MondoTR
2nd March 2006, 7:26 PM
Blue, the userranks aren't new, just the icons for them.

Altair
2nd March 2006, 8:05 PM
Blue, the userranks aren't new, just the icons for them.
Oops, that's what I meant, I forgot to put the word "icons."
Thanks.

Judai Yuki
2nd March 2006, 8:39 PM
I've never seen my Fog badge before did they just add them today?

MondoTR
2nd March 2006, 8:47 PM
The image is new, yes.

Wolf Goddess
4th March 2006, 1:31 AM
This isn't about the banners, so back on topic, plz. :X