PDA

View Full Version : Gengar Help

ViNe WhIp
2nd March 2006, 2:15 AM
I need help for Gengar. I'm probably going to use it in game most of the time but I might use it at the JAA tournament. I need a moveset, nature, hold item. Breeding moves are okay, all tms are open to me as well. The only move I know I want is Shadow Ball. If its not too mcuh trouble may I have a Steelix Moveset,and hold item as well? As I said before I have acess to all TMs.

Btw I don't EV train.

Gengar@????
Trait: Levitate
Nature: ????
-Shadow Ball
-????
-????
-????

Steelix@????
Trait: Nut Sure Yet
Nature: Adament
-????
-????
-????
-????

Dunsparce
2nd March 2006, 2:29 AM
Gengar@Leftovers
Modest
GigaDrain/Ice Punch/Fire Punch
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Destiny Bond

Shadow Ball sucks on Gengar. Don't use it. It's special attack is much higher (btw, Ghost type moves are not Special, they're physical. Just in case you don't know)

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
2nd March 2006, 3:37 AM
Listen to Dunsparce. He knows things :D

However, I have to disagree on Shadow Ball. Dunsparce is most certainly right, Base 130 Sp. Attack is over twice as high as Base 60. But, with STAB, Gengar can actually pull off Shadow Ball to an extent. Not well, and there's not much it can't handle already, but oh well. Personally, I'd go with Dunsparce anyhow. Shadow Ball is just if you have Psychic or Ghost problems =/ And even then, most Special Attacks will trounce them anyhow.

EDIT: Right, Steelix. Well, there's a lot of ways you can go with this behemoth. Personally, for InGame, I'd go for Rock Slide/Earthquake/Explosion/Roar. Generally, HP Rock is better because it doesn't miss and does a good amount of damage. But InGame, it's impossible to get, so thus, Rock Slide =/

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Grymyrk
2nd March 2006, 10:03 AM
what about ChoiceGar?

Gengar @ Choice Band
Trait: Levitate
Nature: Adamant
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Brick Break
-Explosion

similar to the smogon set. and i quote: "With max Attack, Choice Band and Adamant nature it gets 372 Attack". their set uses focus punch, but then i suck at prediction. also you don't have to use any TMs other than the one for brick break if you don't mind breeding. i think the chain you could use goes Koffing [explosion L41] > grimer w/explosion [sludge bomb L43] > gastly w/sludge bomb & explosion. it learns shadow ball naturally on top of that as well.

aipomkong
2nd March 2006, 5:32 PM
Gengar
- Substitute/Focus Punch/Ice Punch/Thunderbolt
- Hypnosis/Focus Punch/Ice Punch/Thunderbolt
- Will-o-Wisp/[Ice Punch/Thunderbolt/Giga Drain/Focus Punch/Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball]

any 3 of the bracketed moves, Psychic is overly pointless on Gengar imo seeming as Psychic type moves aren't the greatest in overall effectivness, being only super effective on Poison and Fighting.

Steelix
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail/Rock Slide
- Explosion/Rest
- Toxic/Roar

both @ Leftovers

ZNtelle
3rd March 2006, 7:09 AM
Destiny Bond is an option - but only if you're really willing to sacrifice Gengar.

Metal Force
3rd March 2006, 9:29 PM
Gengar@Leftovers
nature : Modest
moves :
confuse ray
toxic
giga drain
fire punch

Steelix @leftovers
nature : bold
moves :
Earthquake
Iron Tail
rock tomb
toxic

SapphireL
4th March 2006, 3:45 AM
Gengar@Leftovers
nature : Modest
moves :
confuse ray
toxic
giga drain
fire punch
Gengar doesn't have the Defenses/Hp to use Toxic. It's not an annoyer, so you don't really need Confuse Ray either.

Steelix @leftovers
nature : bold
moves :
Earthquake
Iron Tail
rock tomb
toxic
why have a -Attack nature here? Impish is cool. Rock Slide > Rock Tomb. More power, and better accuracy.

Tazzler
4th March 2006, 6:56 AM
My personal favorite is the specialgar.

Gengar@Leftovers
Modest/Mild (Depending on the moves)
~Thunderbolt/Giga Drain
~Ice Punch/Giga Drain
~Fire Punch/Giga Drain
~Destiny Bond/Explosion

Giga drain is for stuff like swampert that could go over one of the main moves if you don't need it. Destiny Bond if you want to take something down or explosion to take something down with sheer brutal power. Both are sacrifice moves.

ZNtelle
5th March 2006, 7:08 AM
Tazzler wins the thread.

ViNe WhIp
6th March 2006, 2:05 AM
What exactly are Gengar's weaknesses? I'll be able to pick a set from here with a little more ease.

The Great Butler
6th March 2006, 2:33 AM
The best Gengars are usually Special Sweepers, like mine with Psychic/Giga Drain/Thunderbolt/Explosion (threw in the last one for Orre Colosseum)

Since you want Shadow Ball and you're definite on that, I'd recommend the following:

Gengar (Poison/Ghost)
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Brick Break

For the last move, it depends on how you intend to use it. If it's for double battles and you'll pair it with Protect/Detect or a resistant type, Explosion's the way to go. Otherwise, you might want to go with a physical Hidden Power, like Bug or Rock.

ViNe WhIp
6th March 2006, 2:44 AM
I'm not really set on having Shadow Ball anymore after doing some research on his stats, I guess I just picked it because I like the move and I knew it could get STAB. I can use it for other pokemon who could use it more effectively. I'll be using a Special set Which will have Destiny Bond over Explosion because I just like it over explosion lol.

The Great Butler
6th March 2006, 2:55 AM
I'm not really set on having Shadow Ball anymore after doing some research on his stats, I guess I just picked it because I like the move and I knew it could get STAB. I can use it for other pokemon who could use it more effectively. I'll be using a Special set Which will have Destiny Bond over Explosion because I just like it over explosion lol.

That's a wise choice, I'd say. Just make sure you've got the Speed to use Destiny Bond effectively, or it's dead weight. Gengar's fairly fast so I wouldn't worry.

Gengar gets a good Special movepool---you can draw from the element punches, T-Bolt, Giga Drain plus the Hidden Powers. Whatever you go with, I'd recommend at least having Giga Drain for the aforementioned Swamperts.

Horn Drill
6th March 2006, 5:50 AM
Gengar@Leftovers
Modest Nature
252 SPAtk/80 SpDef/52 Def/120 Spd/6 HP
Levitate
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Will-o-Wisp
Torment

Gengar has three resists, so Torment will keep your foe from using moves against Gengar that hurt it too much. Will-o-Wisp protects you from Shadow Ball.

Focus Punch > Brick Break on ChoiceGar.

Steelix@Leftovers
Impish Nature
252 HP/120 SpDef/80 Def/58 Atk
Sturdy
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Explosion
Roar

aipomkong
6th March 2006, 6:24 PM
Gengar learns Ice Beam since when?

Ice Punch imo

Fluorescent Adolescent
6th March 2006, 6:29 PM
Tazzler wins the thread.

But he stole the Gar I made and once loved ;;

Anyway yeah that special gar can work sexily.

Tazzler
6th March 2006, 11:42 PM
Lol, sorry about that.

To tell you the truth, Gengar has so many capabilities that it is hard to keep track of "who's set" it is.

Specialgar (Courtesy to Ryan) is great, but it works better w/ ice punch and fire punch.

I'm pretty sure Horn Drill meant ice punch.

ViNe WhIp
7th March 2006, 2:41 AM
How about this? I don't know which move to pick Bolt or Drain?

Gengar@Leftovers
Modest
Thunderbolt/Giga Drain
Ice Punch
Fire Punch
Destiny Bond

The Great Butler
7th March 2006, 2:54 AM
Ooh, tough one. I would drop Ice Punch so you could have both. T-Bolt covers Flying and Water types, Giga Drain Swamperts/Whiscashes and other Ground types, and Fire Punch covers the Metagrosses and Skarmorys.

Ice Punch, meanwhile, would cover the T-Bolted Flying types AND the non-Water Ground types, so I'd say Drain beats it due to 4x effectiveness on the annoyer that is Swampert.

ViNe WhIp
7th March 2006, 10:11 PM
Is this okay then?

Gengar@Leftovers
Modest
Thunderbolt
Giga Drain
Fire Punch
Destiny Bond

Tazzler
7th March 2006, 10:20 PM
It doesn't matter. Post the rest of your team so we can decide.