PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Brainstorm

klducks
2nd March 2006, 6:55 AM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ia/brainstorm.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/beatdown/brainstorm.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/mm/brainstorm.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/5e/brainstorm.jpg
Brainstorm - Beatdown, Ice Age, Mercadian Masques, 5th Edition.Common
U: Instant
Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.
"I reeled from the blow, and then suddenly, I knew exactly what to do. Within moments, victory was mine."
-Gustha Ubbasdotter,
Kjeldoran Royal Mage
-----
"I see more than others do because I know where to look."
-Saprazzan vizier

A great draw card. The thing about this is you could put them back on top of your library, not wasting any good cards going into the graveyard. Unless theyre all junk cards that should be go in the graveyard, this is one of the best draw cards in the game. Nuff said.

The Duck's Rating: 4/5

Shadow Trainer
2nd March 2006, 7:30 PM
Like klducks said one of the best draw spells in the game. 4/5

Starmie
3rd March 2006, 6:01 AM
I give this card 2/5, it's not the greatest draw card. flow of ideas is way better, you draw as many cards as you have islands, useful if you have nothing in your hand and it'd have to be a long game to have more than 7 islands, just my opinion. The Dimir guild also has a lot of nifty draw cards as well as discard.

klducks
3rd March 2006, 6:28 AM
Sadly, Flow of Ideas costs 6 mana, is a Sorcery, and is horrible in Multicolored decks.

If you ignore those factors, then yeah course. Flow of Ideas is a great card =D

Felix Feral Fezirix
3rd March 2006, 7:50 AM
I give this a 3/5. It's for blue decks of any type and ratio, but you can't use it if you don't play blue. Mind's Eye from Mirrodin is better. It's an artifact, and you can pay 1 mana of any colour to draw an extra card every turn. It's only drawback is that you can only use it's effect whenever your opponent may draw a card.

skiboydoggy
3rd March 2006, 8:33 AM
Of course that is the whole point of blue with all the support spells and abilities...
Anyway, great card with the ability to predict your next two turns, which is not to great if you think about it, but better than dumping them unless you play Dimir with as much regen as Golgari.

Shadow the Hedgehog
3rd March 2006, 4:36 PM
4/5

One blue for drawing three cards what's not to like? It would be better if you could choose to dump them or put them on the bottom of the deck though oh well.

Felix Feral Fezirix
8th March 2006, 12:01 AM
It would have ben a lot better if weren't blue specific. >_<

skiboydoggy
8th March 2006, 10:17 AM
Blue is support spell special! Sheesh...

Kaizer
9th March 2006, 2:55 AM
It would have ben a lot better if weren't blue specific. >_<

Ya know, this sparked quite the aim log between me and chaos. I believe it went something like this:

me: "It would have ben a lot better if weren't blue specific. >_<" <--- Ignoring the obvious gramatical errors, what else is wrong with that statement? (still talking about brainstorm)

chaos: You want to know whats wrong with that statement? It's ignorant. It's blue specific because it HAS to be. Card drawing. And it costs U. On an artifact, it would cost god knows how much, and suck, since youd have to play it first. Its good as is.

So that really about sums it up. I'd say this card has only one small drawback though- it doesn't have any real net advantage. Your hand goes -1 (to play) +3 (to draw) and -2 (to deck). as -1+3-2=0 this really only gives the advantage from the fact that you're manipulating your deck and drawing a card off of it. However, this still says "draw 3 cards", "instant", "U", and "Hi, I can't recall my ancestors, but I can do really well on creative writing assignments."
4/5
;245;

chaoslord
9th March 2006, 2:57 AM
Speaking of recalling ancestors, did anyone else see that guy try to play Ancestral Recall during the Pro Tour Honolulu top 8 recently?

klducks
9th March 2006, 3:06 AM
lol

whered you hear this?

chaoslord
9th March 2006, 3:19 AM
I watched it happen. Gotta love webcasts. It was in good fun though, he saw he had it lost and decided to have a bit of fun.

Here is the WotC recap of what happened:

"Jones tried to attack for the win with Watchwolf and Isamaru when Ruel cast Gigadrowse to tap the two creatures, Boomerang-ing Jones's Watchwolf when he tried to foil the 'Drowse with Bathe in Light. Jones put a Kird Ape down in the Wolf's stead and passed the turn. Ruel then whimsically notched a moment in Pro Tour history, passing his turn and then stacking Sudden Impact against Jones after Craig's draw. With the Impact on the stack, Antoine cast Ancestral Recall targeting Jones, a classic piece of showmanship from the Pro Tour champ.

You could practically see Jones's heart stop when the blue spell came down, as he'd been fearing Twincast plus Impact for two turns now, but Craig simply got a laugh out of it, and then answered Vintage card with Vintage card, pointing a red Psionic Blast (a.k.a. Char) at Ruel's dome to win in response (Ruel had to take a point of damage from Shivan Reef to cast the Impact, leaving him at 4). "

Felix Feral Fezirix
16th March 2006, 11:47 AM
O_o I didn't get a single bit.

skiboydoggy
20th March 2006, 7:45 AM
Heh... Heh... Heh... Pwnt.