PDA

View Full Version : MTG: Which Guild?

Starmie
3rd March 2006, 6:36 AM
Which guild is your favorite to use, as a whole, or which has the most useful cards?

My favorite guild is Selesnya because you can amass an army of creatures and use them to cast more creatures with Convoke.

Felix Feral Fezirix
3rd March 2006, 7:45 AM
Me too. They are easily expendable, and easily abusable, but the whole point of the deck is to overrun, a strategy that is often foiled by mass destruction decks like my Pestilence-based deck. And the Boros-based Cleansing Beam.

The Golgari are also pretty good in my opinion, but they have more weightage on coming back again and again and again. Regeners are annoying, which I have experienced first-hand as a player and as the victim. -evil laugh-

Boros is the traditional fast and mass-effect deck, so sue them. They abuse speed in the form of low mana cost and first-strike and double-strike, and with enough mana, Oldrun commando is a very annoying enemy.

that's all I know, and I'm trying to get a Golgari deck so that I have a cause for which to steal my friend's uber-Golgari card, the Sisters of Stone Death.

And the second legendary creature for Selesnya is the Chorus of the Conclave, and for Boros, Razia, Boros Archangel.

~RaikouRider243~
3rd March 2006, 7:57 AM
The Selesnya deck is so fun to play, and it's my main deck. All you really need for the deck is a couple Evangels, a Guildmage, and 6 mana. Then you can produce 3 tokens a turn. And in green, getting 6 mana should not be hard.

And you don't need overrun/overwhelm to win if you have tons of mana accel, Guildmage can do that too. It is nice when you get it though.

A simple Holy Day can really screw things up for you though lol.

Felix Feral Fezirix
3rd March 2006, 8:00 AM
I go crazy on Fists of Ironwood and the Watchwolfs. I play more offensively. My deck has exactly 80 cards, so no decking me out. I abuse the monster overload by adding a lot of cards meant for overload, so sue me.

Added:

2 Raise the Alarm
1 Stir the Pride

So...Yeah.

~RaikouRider243~
3rd March 2006, 8:03 AM
4 Fists, 3 Scatter the Seeds, 4 Guildmages, 3 Evangels, 2 Bramble Elementals, and Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree. If that isn't enough Saprolings, shoot me.

Not to mention Tolsimir for making them buff.

Felix Feral Fezirix
3rd March 2006, 8:14 AM
You forget Overwhelm to buff. And there are other buff cards. Look at Stir the Pride. 5 colourless, two white for +2/+2 and all creatures get "Whenever this creaturedeals damage, you gain that much life." That has to be good enough. I mean, a whole bunch of 3/3 Saprolings that suck life for you: Now that's efficiency. Not to mention field-clear. And it's uncommon, Darksteel if I'm not wrong.

And I don't just use Saprolings. A single Cleansing Beam from the Boros guild means Sapro death. Not to mention things like Echoing Decay. -2/-2 and destroy all creatures with same name. And Screams from Within. -1/-1 and keeps coming back when creature it is enchanted to goes to graveyard. Have more variety of tokens. Like White Soldier. xP

skiboydoggy
3rd March 2006, 8:41 AM
Indeed Cleansing Beam pwns the Saprolings, and so do the Vindictive Mob, and so does a First Striked Sengir Vampire, but that one's a joke. Boom boom boom, one anti-mass spell can utterly destroy the deck.
Upon saying that, I shall say that I like the Boros. With the sheer amount of non-tokens, Radiance, and the ability to cause sheer buf***e with Agrus Kos, Stir the Pride, and cards like that, alongside the protective ability of white cards, I really like it.

Broodstar
3rd March 2006, 10:21 PM
Orzhov. You said favorite, not the best. Senslyna is good, but it does get defeated with a lot of cards. Even a lowly ghost-lit prison(or something like that) can really stop Sensylna in a deck. Dimir is cool too, although milling is a little hard but transmute is awsome.

klducks
4th March 2006, 12:29 AM
My favorite guild to play in limited? Dimir hands down. I dont like playing with it cuz i never win, but its friggin fun going Lurking Informant late game.

"CHAR? HAH! BYE BIZZIT"

~RaikouRider243~
4th March 2006, 7:50 AM
Senslyna is good, but it does get defeated with a lot of cards. Even a lowly ghost-lit prison(or something like that) can really stop Sensylna in a deck.

That's why Selesnya decks should have Naturalizes and Disenchants coming out the ***...so crap like Ghostly Prison doesn't happen. Oh yeah and Nullmage. *tap 4 saprolings*

*poof*

*swing*

Felix Feral Fezirix
4th March 2006, 3:26 PM
Erm...My deck is so geared towards attack, Sapro-kill can't stop me. I'll probably come back with a Watchwolf/Root-Kin Ally/Scion of the Wild/uber-Siege Wurm, as Ski already knows. -laughs while recalling how one match another friend was beaten with no Saprolings played at all-

chaoslord
5th March 2006, 11:38 PM
Well, I hope Pro Tour: Honolulu has now officially shown that both A) Boros is over-rated and B) that Orzhov is pretty good.

Look up Ben Goodman's decklist. He's from 'Tings, and I think this was his second PT outting, and look how he did. Well, they probably won't post his deck on Wizo's, but they do have how he finished. And if he himself posts it, its probably pretty good.

It abused tallowisp, btw, in combo with Orzhov cards.

skiboydoggy
6th March 2006, 10:56 AM
Well, it does say favourite deck, and the Charge of the Boros is a fun deck to play especially when you can simply screw the Token spam.

Felix Feral Fezirix
7th March 2006, 4:43 PM
Well, each guild has it's own strengths and weaknesses, depends on your style of play.