PDA

View Full Version : Curbing The Crimson Tide! (443)

Serebii
3rd March 2006, 1:08 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/443.jpgCurbing The Crimson Tide!

On their way to the next town, Ash & Co. enter a town where a legend exists about The Red Inazuma, who is a person that can wear a cloak, talk and use Pokémon Attacks. However soon The Red Inazuma starts attacking innocent Pokémon and must be stopped. Can Ash & Co. stop it and find out what it really is?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/443.shtml)

Discuss

MaskedManAbsolkid
3rd March 2006, 1:16 PM
Looks good. People say its boring, but it seems to be one of those eps where it looks cool, and something REALLY intersting happens. Does anyone get the feeling that the red Inuzama looks like that cloaked thing from the original battle Frontier intro? You know, the thing everyone said was Mewtwo? What if that thing was the Red Inuzama? It looks like it's in the town where this eppy's set. I'm hoping for the Red Inuzama to be a new rival of sorts.

johnnyd2
3rd March 2006, 1:18 PM
just saw the episode pics, squirtle does indeed get PWND. Also, it seems that the red Inazuma himself is a Scizor. Im suprised. I cant understand the rest of the plot (though the filler girl looks cute). The battles looked sweet, thoughts?

ŁańkaŃ
3rd March 2006, 1:35 PM
yes...the plot was hard to understand...confusing

but main problem was why the heck did the writer let May's Squirtle win to a SCIZOR!...

one of the great pokemon...that i liked before any Hoenn Pokemon were revealed

Russian May
3rd March 2006, 1:56 PM
Yes, it was interesting, but I still can't get: How Scizor managed to make drawings on Pokemon faces?

Gravy
3rd March 2006, 2:17 PM
Woah, hold the phone. What was that song playing during the Scizor vs. Squirtle battle? I've never heard that one before, and it totally caught me off guard. I suspect it was used during one of the original versions of the movies?
In any case, I do hope they use it more frequently. I quite enjoyed it and it would make a nice change from having them play Battle Frontier or Ready Go.
And just to note, kudos for playing the Lilycove theme during the pokéblock scene.

While I'm on the topic of music, this episode had some really strange sound effects going on. Such as the metallic sword slashing when Sceptile used Leaf Blade, or Scizor's swift. Personally, I think the way they're handling them is rather awkward. We have all these different sfx in one episode, then we go 15 or so without hearing them and then they're used once again? I wish they'd just make up their minds for once.

As for the episode itself, I didn't really enjoy it that much. Sceptile got a decent battle with some great moves, but apart from that and Squirtle having a Hyper Beam rain down on top of it, that was the only decent part.
I didn't give a Ratata's arse about random filler girl and her plight, nor did I honestly care less about the Red Lighting's endevours. Though I must admit, I was rather surprised that he turned out to be an actual Scizor. Truth be told, I really wasn't expecting that at all ^^;

Also, the rematch between Squirtle and Scizor was total ********. http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

And just a quick note...look familliar? (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/familliarmansion.jpg)

Serebii
3rd March 2006, 2:33 PM
ZOMG Where'd the Hypno go o,o

Do think it was a bad thing that it was just a normal Scizor though :p

Gravy
3rd March 2006, 2:39 PM
Eh, sort of. I mean, on one hand it gave us a decent fight, but on the other hand we've seen enough Scizor already. It would have been neat if it had been some guy with a grasp on advanced technology or something. Its not everyday you see a human going head to head with a pokémon afterall.
I think they wasted a hefty amount of potential and all, but it wasn't outright terrible. So I can't really complain I guess.

MaskedManAbsolkid
3rd March 2006, 3:05 PM
Gravy, you saying the town it was set in was similar or was the town where that happened (I think the dub name was Hop Hop Hop town, and the name of the name of the city was something like Komodo City, so if the other town's japanese name is similar, you could be right)?

pikachu146
3rd March 2006, 3:42 PM
I saw the pics.May's squritle defeated that scizor.But i still don't understand,why is that Scizor wearing armor?Or is this what that girl did?
Can't wait to see the episode guide.

PDL
3rd March 2006, 5:15 PM
doesn't the girl with the chansey that got beaten look familiar as well?

anyway, I was somewhat dissapointed that uber Squirtle's back again.

Almighty Zard
3rd March 2006, 5:30 PM
anyway, I was somewhat dissapointed that uber Squirtle's back again.

yeah Yamato-san is gonna be ****** at that, Squirtle did get it's but kicked, but the goody two shoes writers just couldn't let it go, st least Sceptile got a good battle in, and i had no idea it could cling to glass like that. Sheesh the fight was reminding me of spiderman almost.

The Benmeister
3rd March 2006, 6:40 PM
Pretty tough plot to get around really...some scenes were pretty good, mind you.

All the writers have to do now is explain Squirtle's purpose, because beating a Scizor...that's just stupid. If it exists just to humour other fans...that's also just stupid. I was willing to let the past Squirtle vs. Ariados mishap slide until this happened.

But hey, at least they're using past scenery. Whether that be for reference or just laziness, it was a good idea.

ChaosMage
3rd March 2006, 7:58 PM
Squirtle beating Scizor? Hasn't that writer been sacked yet? But Scizor looks fantastic with that shiny body, and that made it so much cooler to look at. Sceptile looks amazing, but another appearance of Chansey and Phanpy, and the writing scribbles thing bothers me. But Poliwag and Gulpin reappear, in a rather sexy fashion. And may I point out that this is the second episode recently which has greatly cheapened Heracross!

Kabuto
3rd March 2006, 10:12 PM
Thats the last straw. Beating Harley, I can care less because I don't care for him. But taking down one of the best pokemon is a disgrace to mankind. Why couldn't Sceptile win and Squirtle take a beating that it deserves?!

Squirtle_007
3rd March 2006, 10:24 PM
Hello Yamato - chan ... Haruka´s Squirtle rules!!!

The little turtle showing it´s awesome contest abilities in a battle was pretty cool, I hope it get to know Satoshi´s Squirtle soon

http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag166/350.jpg

CyberCubed
3rd March 2006, 10:28 PM
I think the animators are getting May's Squirtle mixed up with Ash's.

May's Squirtle is supossed to look like an infant, in that pic it looks just like Ash's Squirtle. :/

Furizaa
3rd March 2006, 10:32 PM
Eh, I couldn't tell much just by the episode pictures, but this was definantly an interesting episode... It still confuses the heck out of me how or why Scizor managed to write on the pokemon's faces... Nice battle between Sceptile and Scizor though. Can't say the same for Squirtle...

The Big Al
3rd March 2006, 10:50 PM
I don't know what's more detestable. Squirtle or you.

The little turtle showing it´s awesome contest abilities in a battle was pretty cool, I hope it get to know Satoshi´s Squirtle soon
More like show the fact it's the uber of the ubers.

ghost master
3rd March 2006, 10:52 PM
Thats the last straw. Beating Harley, I can care less because I don't care for him. But taking down one of the best pokemon is a disgrace to mankind. Why couldn't Sceptile win and Squirtle take a beating that it deserves?!because the writers were trying to prove that she just relied on that device for it to be strong and never actually trained it. A level 100 dunsparce can beat a level 5 mew anyday the same can happen with scizor too.

I think the animators are getting May's Squirtle mixed up with Ash's.

May's Squirtle is supossed to look like an infant, in that pic it looks just like Ash's Squirtle. :/ It never was an infant. It was starter level not what I'd consider an infant but it was young and a crybaby but since the saffron contest they havent been trying to portray it as really young. What was the point of squirtle battling scizor anyway. I liked sceptile's part of the battle. Squirtle I found was pointless in this episode. Also Sceptile used agility during the battle.

JazzJazz
3rd March 2006, 10:52 PM
Yes, it was interesting, but I still can't get: How Scizor managed to make drawings on Pokemon faces?

Perhaps scizor had jigglypuff stuck up its... um, use your imagination.

Korobooshi Kojiro
3rd March 2006, 10:54 PM
This episode served its purpose......of introducing a new Intro.

But, the Inzuma was pretty cool and Sceptile rocked. Luckily that cool song played during Squirtle's fight!

S.Suikun
3rd March 2006, 11:09 PM
Ugh, I was hoping the cloaked individual wouldn't be something as predictable as a Scizor. It's like an insult to one's intelligence when you're expecting something other than the blatantly obvious. The first half of the episode that doesn't have all the cheap fights looks good, though I still need to see the actual episode.

Flamez
3rd March 2006, 11:25 PM
Good to see sceptile beating down scizor, squirtle taking a beating was just great but the stupid writers had to give a rematch, such bull man. You know something i hope during the grand festival may's squirtle gets its as* handed to him by someone who just mops the floor with it. This would've been a perfect episode in my book if squirtle didn't win.

V Faction
3rd March 2006, 11:49 PM
The girl seemed a tad young to be handling a Scizor.

The Big Al
3rd March 2006, 11:53 PM
because the writers were trying to prove that she just relied on that device for it to be strong and never actually trained it. A level 100 dunsparce can beat a level 5 mew anyday the same can happen with scizor too.
Of course let's ignore the fact that Squirtle isn't exactly well trained either. At least Scizor won matches, even if it with the help of that device.

Heracross
4th March 2006, 12:03 AM
And just a quick note...look familliar? (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/familliarmansion.jpg)
Holy shins! o_@

About the last thing I expected was to see something undeniably from the original Kanto.

You know, at first I was glad to see that picture, but now I think I'm feeling even more resentment than before towards the writers. This proves without a doubt that they do remember the original Kanto, yet are completely against making any ties with it.

And uh... are they actually in that house during the episode? Because if they actually went there and there was no trace of the insomniacs I will smash something. 8D

Geodude
4th March 2006, 12:21 AM
The return of the Unfailing Squirtle Bias. Figured as much.

Face it guys, it was a good fight. Squirtle got its behind kicked at first, which is how it should be, but when it battled Scizor without its tech, under the traditional conduction of a rookie trainer, a win really isn't that ridiculous. The girl just wanted someone to play/battle with, as far as I could figure out, and was clearly an inexperienced trainer, relying on Hyper Beam and Swift as its only attacks. So pitting her against an experienced coordinator who knows how to think on her feet in battle, what's so hard to accept about Squirtle winning?

May's strategy was simple, but effective. When Scizor dodged the Water Gun and it made a puddle, she noticed this and had Squirtle use Ice Beam. Scizor dodged too, but the Ice Beam froze the ground, effectively killing the speed advantage since Scizor couldn't get its footing. Then Squirtle slid along the ice in a Rapid Spin, powering it up with the extra speed, and won.

I really don't think there's anything to complain about here, once you look at everything.

Heracross
4th March 2006, 12:26 AM
Feh, I won't be able to say whether or not I thought it was cheap until I see the episode, but at the end of the day I'll still hate the thing.

Korobooshi Kojiro
4th March 2006, 12:56 AM
50.....uh....points for the first person to name the song that played during the fight at the end!!

That was not the Pokemon Fan Club place from Drowzee's Naptime, as that was the girl's house. Yeah, but I noticed the simmilarities alot.

The butler looked famillar as well, as did the girl with the Chansey, and the filler kids.

Heracross
4th March 2006, 12:59 AM
It's official. They're trying to p/ss us off. :)

.Bambi.
4th March 2006, 1:04 AM
Woooow. This episode REALLY didn't turn out how I expected it to. Like, AT ALL.

First off, WTF? What's the Point in Scizor disguising itself if it still looks like a Scizor in its costume? I mean, that rather defeats the purpose of it all.

As most people did, I cheered when Squirtle lost. But what do the writers have to do? Yes, they give him a rematch where he totally owns him. That's believable >.>
And it's not like he needed it all that much. Squirtle has already proven itself to be an uber and has gotten plenty of limelight, not to mention it's merely appealing in the next episode, so why didn't Eevee take Scizor on? C'MON!

Other than that, I can't really comment on this episode until I see it in motion. It seems to be kind of jumpy...especially when the girl gets involved and randomly spews "I challenge youz!"

Oy.

Geodude
4th March 2006, 1:31 AM
First off, WTF? What's the Point in Scizor disguising itself if it still looks like a Scizor in its costume? I mean, that rather defeats the purpose of it all.
Obviously, so other people wouldn't see the speaker and stuff it had.

Korobooshi Kojiro
4th March 2006, 1:34 AM
Does anyone know why the girl has the Scizor like that, and why she was sad.......

Pinetree Missile though....wtf?

.Bambi.
4th March 2006, 1:37 AM
Obviously, so other people wouldn't see the speaker and stuff it had.
Wait...what exactly did the speaker do? The little girl talked through it to make Scizor sound like a human, right?

Still, if you want to pass off as a human, it's understandable to have a red mask and some crazy gloves, but spikes protruding from your back?
That's a little obvious... [then again, this is coming from a group who won't recognize Team Rocket if they have different shirts on >.>]

Geodude
4th March 2006, 1:40 AM
Yes, but it wasn't just a speaker. The Scizor had some sort of targeting mechanism on it as well. That would explain its reliance on beam/projectile attacks.

Does anyone know why the girl has the Scizor like that, and why she was sad.......

Pinetree Missile though....wtf?
By "like that", you mean set up with that tech, right? As shown in the brief flashback, the girl seems quite electronically inclined.

Korobooshi Kojiro
4th March 2006, 1:42 AM
*Still waiting for someone to name the song, been looking all night*

I noticed this episode had a lot of Deoxy Music in it.

Also, I really didn't get how Sceptile "flew". I mean, the wind blew him, but not that hard!

ash5550
4th March 2006, 1:49 AM
WTF. This episode is screwed. And I've seen screwed episodes. I was happy when Squirtle got its but kicked. But then, the writers do what they always do. The gang CANNOT lose. I mean, rapid spin shouldn't have done anything to it. Sceptile jumping off buildings is understandable.

Geodude
4th March 2006, 2:09 AM
As I have gone over already:

-Scizor is a strong Pokemon, yes, but it was in the hands of a rookie trainer, one who relied on two long-distance attacks that most Pokemon can learn, and who didn't take advantage of anything about Scizor except its speed.

-This rookie trainer didn't have the experience to deal with situations in battle such as a changing battlefield.

-Gaining speed by sliding across the ice powered up Rapid Spin, which has always been stronger in the anime than in the games.

-And the girl learned from it, which was the point.

V Faction
4th March 2006, 2:29 AM
She could've learned from a Combusken Fire Spin instead, eh! Who's with me men!?

Korobooshi Kojiro
4th March 2006, 2:32 AM
I wouldv'e settled with a Shadow Ball from Eevee, or Munchlax punching it *OMG I LOVE YOU MUNCHLAX!*....

But, Squirtle?

JazzJazz
4th March 2006, 2:36 AM
The gang CANNOT lose.

That sorta goes with being a hero or a main character... you're usually going to win, often in spite of the odds.

Yamato-san
4th March 2006, 2:56 AM

[shrugs] Meh. Here's hoping you end banned for user-bashing and/or enciting flame wars real soon.

Woah, hold the phone. What was that song playing during the Scizor vs. Squirtle battle? I've never heard that one before, and it totally caught me off guard. I suspect it was used during one of the original versions of the movies?

That song was listed in the ending credits. It's titled "Watashi, Makenai! ~Haruka no Teema~" (I, won't lose! ~Haruka's Theme~).

As for the episode itself, I didn't really enjoy it that much. Sceptile got a decent battle with some great moves, but apart from that and Squirtle having a Hyper Beam rain down on top of it, that was the only decent part.
I didn't give a Ratata's arse about random filler girl and her plight, nor did I honestly care less about the Red Lighting's endevours. Though I must admit, I was rather surprised that he turned out to be an actual Scizor. Truth be told, I really wasn't expecting that at all ^^;

Also, the rematch between Squirtle and Scizor was total ********.

Agreed, on all counts. Zenigame finally got the loss it deserved after all of its over-glorification by the writers earlier on. Why the hell did they feel the need to redeem it? The episode should've just ended on Hassamu losing to Jukain (which, as nice of a battle as it was, was already pretty screwed up enough with Jukain riding on the wind as it did. And what was the deal with Hassamu using Hyper Beam on a window that Jukain jumped off of, only for it to result in a dust cloud like when it hit a brick wall earlier in the episode. Just a little glass shattering would've added for some nice realism there. For that matter, as rich as she may be, does Luna have any consideration for collateral damage?).

Although, there were a couple other things I enjoyed about the episode that Gravy didn't mention, like the fact that Satoshi-tachi were ordering around Rocket Dan to follow in their balloon (and they got blown away immediately afterwards, keeping their role to a nice minimum), and of course, the new opening had me f***in' psyched. Hassamu was also pretty cool and nicely shadey when he was disguised as the Red Lightning. Overall, this episode started off on a very good note, but turned to utter crap at the end (as I said in the speculation thread for next week's episode, this is further worsened by the fact that Glory Day's still the ending, and Zenigame's doing an appeal in the preview). Well, at least now I can happily say the turtle has a loss under its belt.... a loss that actually involved KOing and not running to mommy after one hit.

Speaking of screwed-up things in this episode, why did Takeshi say that Hassamu shouldn't be able to fly? Pretty much every Hassamu that's appeared in the anime thus far has been able to fly. The wings aren't for decoration (even though the games and such make it seem that way). Luna replies to Takeshi by commenting that her Hassamu's special, but it appears that it was just riding the gusts of wind (which was also screwed up, as I said before).

The return of the Unfailing Squirtle Bias. Figured as much.

Face it guys, it was a good fight. Squirtle got its behind kicked at first, which is how it should be, but when it battled Scizor without its tech, under the traditional conduction of a rookie trainer, a win really isn't that ridiculous. The girl just wanted someone to play/battle with, as far as I could figure out, and was clearly an inexperienced trainer, relying on Hyper Beam and Swift as its only attacks. So pitting her against an experienced coordinator who knows how to think on her feet in battle, what's so hard to accept about Squirtle winning?

May's strategy was simple, but effective. When Scizor dodged the Water Gun and it made a puddle, she noticed this and had Squirtle use Ice Beam. Scizor dodged too, but the Ice Beam froze the ground, effectively killing the speed advantage since Scizor couldn't get its footing. Then Squirtle slid along the ice in a Rapid Spin, powering it up with the extra speed, and won.

I really don't think there's anything to complain about here, once you look at everything.

You said it yourself: Hyper Beam and Swift. They're projectile attacks, and they're shot from Hassamu's claws. Seriously, as Zenigame was Rapid Spinning towards Hassamu while it was on its back, I was desperately hoping Hassamu would just lift one of its arms and blast that damned turtle to high hell again as it was approaching.

She could've learned from a Combusken Fire Spin instead, eh! Who's with me men!?

F*** yeah! I'm surprised they haven't shown more of that thing, considering A) it's Haruka's starter, and B) it recently learned a new attack in the form of Mega Kick, which it only showed off in one battle.

Korobooshi Kojiro
4th March 2006, 2:58 AM
I have never ever ever heard of Haruka's Theme......a new song?

Poké_Master
4th March 2006, 3:54 AM
Saw the pictures and I can't wait for the episode!

Geodude
4th March 2006, 4:04 AM
You said it yourself: Hyper Beam and Swift. They're projectile attacks, and they're shot from Hassamu's claws. Seriously, as Zenigame was Rapid Spinning towards Hassamu while it was on its back, I was desperately hoping Hassamu would just lift one of its arms and blast that damned turtle to high hell again as it was approaching.
Again, rookie trainer. It probably never occurred to Luna that Scizor could do that.

I agree on the hilarity of Ash & co climbing in TR's balloon and making them follow Scizor. There's a first.

Yamato-san
4th March 2006, 4:15 AM
No, but she certainly relied on Hyper Beam enough that you'd think she'd use it.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
4th March 2006, 4:46 AM
i'm confused... was the scizor able to talk when it was in the machinery?

and that skyscraper with the house looks just like the one in the episode where misty captures psyduck. Hypno's naptime, i think.

Geodude
4th March 2006, 5:19 AM
i'm confused... was the scizor able to talk when it was in the machinery?
No. Luna was talking through the speaker, except using her tech to alter her voice.

thed3
4th March 2006, 5:42 AM
This episode is quite confusing to follow... even with all these explanations.

And once again Butterfree does absolutely nothing... From the episode pictures they really didn't need Butterfree in there. What a waste of major potential... once again... And what is up with it spinning away?

Heracross
4th March 2006, 5:50 AM
This nauseates me.

-So the Red Inazuma draws on its victims' faces huh? That might have been amusing if it wasn't Purin's trademark gag.
-What's this? A strange crisis? Surely the source must be that mysterious rooftop mansion. Very original.
-And what do you know? Apparently it's a private residence all of a sudden. Or maybe there are two nearly identical mansions in the same vicinity both perched on top of skyscrapers. Right.
-To add salt to the wound, that girl who owned the Lucky looked just like the girl in episode 27 who thought she was a Butterfree.
-Even the damn park Haruka was in resembled the park in episode 27.

Ffs, have they no shame? If they're so desperate for material, why don't they just quit f***ing around and tie in with the first season already, instead of pulling s*** like this?

This episode is a travesty.

Pika Hikari KT
4th March 2006, 6:24 AM
Again, rookie trainer. It probably never occurred to Luna that Scizor could do that.
The Scizor must be some sort of bodyguard for Luna. She's had it since it was a Scyther--not exactly a Pokémon you'd want to give to a 8 year old girl starting out...T_T

Pokemon Fan
4th March 2006, 7:16 AM
-And what do you know? Apparently it's a private residence all of a sudden. Or maybe there are two nearly identical mansions in the same vicinity both perched on top of skyscrapers. Right.
-To add salt to the wound, that girl who owned the Lucky looked just like the girl in episode 27 who thought she was a Butterfree.
-Even the damn park Haruka was in resembled the park in episode 27.
It would have been fine I think if they had included some brief explanation about how the insomniac's group doesn't meet there anymore, the building was brought by a rich family and such. But I doubt they did.

<><><>

However, as pointless as Squirtle's rematch was I don't think anyone should be upset about the result. I mean think about it.

1. The Scizor had been battling all day beating little Pokemon.

2. It had just been seriously beaten and thrashed by Ash's Sceptile.

3. It had lost the tech it relied on for targeting its attacks.

I mean barely a few minutes passed between fighting Sceptile and it fighting Squirtle. OF COURSE SQUIRTLE WON!!! Its no example of uberness (nor was the Ariados battle, that Ariados was weak), any pokemon with any real training could have probably beaten an exhausted Scizor commanded by a rookie who formerly relied on gadgets in battle.

I personally have no real problem with Scizor appearing again. This is the first time we've seen it doing Hyper Beams that looked cool (the one Ash battled with Torkoal was poorly animated). Yes other Pokemon need screentime more, but I really don't think Scizor is as over presented as some think it is.

Of course, the spiderman-type fight by Sceptile was the most awesome part of the episode period. Can't go wrong with a giant gecko dragon leaping about on skyscrapers, I love how they're keeping his agility and ability to stick to smooth surfaces.

Geodude
4th March 2006, 7:42 AM
Good points as usual Pokemon Fan, adding to Squirtle's defense. I never thought of a couple of those.

Or maybe there are two nearly identical mansions in the same vicinity both perched on top of skyscrapers. Right.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=penthouse

Heracross
4th March 2006, 7:55 AM
I guess that was supposed to be clever. :/

How many penthouses have you seen that are built like a huge stone mansion? Ok, maybe there are a couple around, especially in a big city like Tamamushi, but these looked exactly the same. The hedges, the trees, even the fountain, everything was the same. Even the buildings in the background were somewhat similar. There is no way you're telling me those were supposed to be two different buildings.

Geodude
4th March 2006, 8:27 AM
Then, the answer is that it was the same but it was different. Meaning, they were too lazy to design a new one so they copied the one from that old episode, thinking their audience, which is of course entirely composed of 7-year-olds and not a single older person, wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Heracross
4th March 2006, 8:32 AM
And that's why they suck. The fact that Pocket Monsters is a children's show does not excuse such a revolting disregard for continuity.

KuwabaraTheMan
4th March 2006, 10:22 AM
Decent episode. Zenigame did need the chance more then any of Haruka's other pokemon(Gonbe and Wakashamo just got their battles recently, Eievui gets one next week), so while Wakashamo would have made more sense, Zenigame got it.

I thought it was definitely better then the average filler episode, and I enjoyed the theme that played during the Zenigame vs. Hassamu battle.

Yamato-san
4th March 2006, 12:28 PM
Kuwabara, in case you're unaware, that thing's going to appeal in the next episode, and it appealed in Gonbe's battle episode. It appealed in nearly every contest thus far, actually, and it's been shoved down out throats many a time, especially near the beginning of Battle Frontier. Did you ever stop to think maybe there's a reason it's been out of the picture lately? And yes, there're Pokemon plenty more deserving of glorification than it. In case you forgot, Gonbe lost its recent battle, and Wakashamo's nowhere near used enough for being Haruka's starter. Hell, even Eievui could've used a battle before its contest.

I mean barely a few minutes passed between fighting Sceptile and it fighting Squirtle.

I don't think there was any specific indication of time there. For all we know, Hassamu could've been given a nice break before it battle Zenigame. And whether or not the win was realistic, my beef with it is that they let that stupid turtle redeem its loss from earlier in the episode. They could've omitted that battle altogether or, if they must teach that girl a lesson, use a different Pokemon for god's sake. The damned thing's been asking for a loss since it was cheaply glorified in Yamabuki. It finally gets a f***in' loss, it should've kept that loss, let it get yet another win (because you just know the writers would give it another one eventually) in a later episode against a different opponent. Nope, it rematches the opponent that beats it.... I really hate whichever of the writers are favoring it so much, and I pray to god that whoever they are, they aren't the same ones who were making Battle Frontier good. I wanna curse someone's name, not even that out with appraisal.

ChaosMage
4th March 2006, 2:09 PM
People saying that Scizor was undertrained- Hyper Beam is not an easy move to master. Only fuly evolved pokemon can use it, and that Scizor had certainly got it down to perfection. I realise that Donohan learnt it straight away, but he's hardly a weakling!

Gravy
4th March 2006, 5:49 PM
That song was listed in the ending credits. It's titled "Watashi, Makenai! ~Haruka no Teema~" (I, won't lose! ~Haruka's Theme~).
Ahh, so its an original piece of music then? Very interesting indeed. I hope they decide to make more pieces like this in the future, instead of just relying on the opening/ending lyrics from time to time. It was a really nice touch.

Incidentaly Yamato, was there any indication as to who the singer was? I was listening to that particular scene earlier this morning, and it sounds somewhat like Kaori's voice. Would be awesome if it was her, as I've wanted to hear her singing voice for quite some time now.

Geodude
5th March 2006, 4:27 AM
All this Squirtle discussion is crowding out other things...like Ash & co scrambling into TR's balloon and making them follow Scizor. This is the first time they've done anything like that.

KuwabaraTheMan
5th March 2006, 4:49 AM
Kuwabara, in case you're unaware, that thing's going to appeal in the next episode, and it appealed in Gonbe's battle episode. It appealed in nearly every contest thus far, actually, and it's been shoved down out throats many a time, especially near the beginning of Battle Frontier. Did you ever stop to think maybe there's a reason it's been out of the picture lately? And yes, there're Pokemon plenty more deserving of glorification than it. In case you forgot, Gonbe lost its recent battle, and Wakashamo's nowhere near used enough for being Haruka's starter. Hell, even Eievui could've used a battle before its contest.

I'm very aware of that.

Appeal != fight. Yes, Gonbe lost, but it also got a win in the same episode, and Wakashamo just had two wins only 3 episodes ago. Has Zenigame even won since beating Harley?

I certainly do wish that Wakashamo got more screentime, but it doesn't get completely ignored, and Zenigame is the Pokemon of Haruka's that had gone the longest without a win(excluding Eievui who will get at least one and maybe two next week).

Although I wish Wakashamo was the one to face Hassamu, I'm willing to accept Zenigame being the one, especially since it had the earlier loss to redeem.

Ashi-chan
5th March 2006, 5:09 AM
Incidentaly Yamato, was there any indication as to who the singer was? I was listening to that particular scene earlier this morning, and it sounds somewhat like Kaori's voice. Would be awesome if it was her, as I've wanted to hear her singing voice for quite some time now.
I thought the same thing, and when the end credits (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/mistressofrobin/EndCreds.png) came up I checked. It is indeed Kaori singing the song. I liked it. Very cool, and I like Haruka's singing voice. ^.^;;

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
5th March 2006, 5:19 AM
All this Squirtle discussion is crowding out other things...like Ash & co scrambling into TR's balloon and making them follow Scizor. This is the first time they've done anything like that.
i agree, that was funny. especially the pic about it you posted in the anime caption thread :p

one paticular moment was when ash was glaring angrily at james, who was hugging jesse around the waist XD!

Heracross
5th March 2006, 6:38 AM
One of the few things I was able to enjoy about this episode.

Yamato-san
5th March 2006, 8:41 AM
Geodude, I'm probably the one with the strongest opinion against Zenigame's treatment in this episode (and Haruka's Zenigame in general), yet I'm the one who brought up Rocket Dan's balloon in the first place. It should be a matter of people multi-tasking in their posts, really. In my first post alone, I brought up several things worth discussion, like how f***ed up the whole wind-riding thing was. Speaking of that post, I commented on Luna's unconcern for collateral damage, but I just remembered that, apparently, she owns the entire building, not just the mansion on top of it, so she'd only really be damaging her own window (but man, I can't help but ask what is up with most anime aristocrats. Not only are they capable of affording a mansion with acres of garden surrounding it in Tokyo, a city where land is friggin expensive, but they can also equip themselves with military technology ranging from missiles to spy satellites).

I'm very aware of that.

Appeal != fight. Yes, Gonbe lost, but it also got a win in the same episode, and Wakashamo just had two wins only 3 episodes ago. Has Zenigame even won since beating Harley?

I certainly do wish that Wakashamo got more screentime, but it doesn't get completely ignored, and Zenigame is the Pokemon of Haruka's that had gone the longest without a win(excluding Eievui who will get at least one and maybe two next week).

Although I wish Wakashamo was the one to face Hassamu, I'm willing to accept Zenigame being the one, especially since it had the earlier loss to redeem.

Even if it never really participated in battles, it still got plenty of glorification after that cheap win against Harley. Aside from appearing in nearly every damn appeal, there was also that episode where it learned Rapid Spin. And why the hell would it need to redeem that loss? Given what I was saying earlier, it needed it after the way the writers were favoring it.

Squirtle_007
5th March 2006, 9:36 AM
I don't know what's more detestable. Squirtle or you.

Please tell me, I won´t be able to sleep until I know it

[shrugs] Meh. Here's hoping you end banned for user-bashing and/or enciting flame wars real soon.

Why do you get angry, Yamato-chan?, the flamboyant sissy uses "chan" to call his beloved Pokémon, you should be honored

I'm very aware of that.

Although I wish Wakashamo was the one to face Hassamu, I'm willing to accept Zenigame being the one, especially since it had the earlier loss to redeem.Even if it never really participated in battles, it still got plenty of glorification after that cheap win against Harley. Aside from appearing in nearly every damn appeal, there was also that episode where it learned Rapid Spin. And why the hell would it need to redeem that loss? Given what I was saying earlier, it needed it after the way the writers were favoring it.

Do you still upset for Yamabuki Contest?, sheesh, the guy finally beat Haruka, get over it
The problem here is the fact that you want to EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF THIS FORUM hate Haruka´s Squirtle just because you hate it, it´s like nobody would like it or say something good about it just because you have a 100 pages-speech about your bias against it and FORCIBLY wants to EVERYONE hate it.
Well, if you gonna put like this every time that Haruka´s Squirtle breaths then I´ll be rooting for Thursday´s episode to see you crying about Squirtle´s appeal

NoDot
5th March 2006, 4:33 PM
like how f***ed up the whole wind-riding thing was.Actually, if my understanding is accurate, then that was actually a good example of the use of real physics.

My understanding is, because the buildings are so close together, even small gusts of wind are accellerated to high speeds. It's Urban Canyon weather. ;)

Serebii
5th March 2006, 4:33 PM
Ok PEople...enough, if you want to continue bashing May's Squirtle then do it in another thread, this is just for discussion of THIS EPISODE.

If you continue you'll be warned

~Flareon~
5th March 2006, 4:35 PM
This episode looks interesting. I just saw the episode pictures. A trainer called Hiroshi have a Poliwag challenges the Red Inuzama in a battle, it tries to use Water Gun but actually it attacks Poliwag with a Hyper Beam but after it leaves, Poliwag's face is covered with black marks, the same as the other trainers' Pokemon and May's Squirtle too. Ash and the others know that the Red Inuzama is actually a Scizor. Then Ash's Sceptile challenges Luna's Scizor in a battle at the buliding. Finally Sceptile defeats Scizor with a Leaf Blade. So as May's Squirtle challenges Scizor too. It also wins.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
5th March 2006, 7:44 PM
Well this was an alright episode. The beginning was great though. Plus with the new opening it made it look really amazing but then died out later on.

Sceptile sure was cool when he was climbing the buildings. There was no Manene in this ep! :(

That's pretty much all I have to say for this episode.

Squirtle_007
6th March 2006, 7:50 AM
Well, finally saw the episode and noted some relevant points for me:

*Finally, a city, it was some time since the last city episode, the gang always ended in an island, a village, a forest or a beach, even the Battle Facilities were apart from civilization
*Haruka giving Pokéblocks to her Pokémon was a point to her, a thing that a respectable co-ordinator has to do, it has been a long time since she used her Pokéblock case
*Did you noted the Ranma ˝-style mega jump the characters did from Team Rocket´s balloon to the penthouse?
*Sceptile/Scizor battle was awesome, a show of how the envoriment use can be approached in a city too
*Luna should sell her device to Bill Gates, she could make a bigger fortune
*Squirtle/Scizor battle was sweet, Haruka using her co-ordinator skills in battle was great

Geodude
6th March 2006, 2:15 PM
There was no Manene in this ep! :(
Yeah I thought that was really odd. It never even came out for the motto.

skarmachild
7th March 2006, 8:41 PM
Yeah I thought that was really odd. It never even came out for the motto.

I also noticed that, I was waiting for it to come out on the TR motto going "MANENE". -10 points for that episode. Ep wasn't too bad, but was still a bit boring, battle was nice, and May gets her own theme \o/

ghost master
8th March 2006, 12:02 AM
Finally, a city, it was some time since the last city episode, the gang always ended in an island, a village, a forest or a beach, even the Battle Facilities were apart from civilization Last episode was a city episode.

Squirtle_007
8th March 2006, 2:06 AM
Last episode was a city episode.

Oh ... right, my mistake, sorry, I missed that one :D

ghost master
8th March 2006, 4:01 AM
Oh ... right, my mistake, sorry, I missed that one Yeah but I know what you meant anyway. I was actually really happy with the recent city episodes. Last episode reminded me of early johto/pikachu special. Although this episode had some pointless things in it there were some redeeming qualities.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
8th March 2006, 4:29 AM

Count me in >_<

Just think about how bloody brilliant a Scizor/Combusken battle would be. Unlike Supah Squirtle, Combusken is naturally agile, and whether it went hand-to-hand(Breloom vs. Combusken owned all) or just sent flames reeling at Scizor, it would've looked a lot cooler and a lot more impressive. I see Geodude's point, but honestly, we've seen more than enough of the nuisance. Something wrong with Munchlax, Eevee, or Combusken? Plus, how on earth is Munchlax going to fulfill its role of advertisement if it's being upstaged by dear little Squirtle? =0

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

RandomCharizard
18th November 2006, 3:06 PM
Why this pokemon is automatic
It's systematic
It's hydromatic
Why it's RED lightning

Cool they kept the name

PlusleMinun
18th November 2006, 3:25 PM
The girl who owns Red Lightning, (which they stopped calling Red Lightning when its cape came off), Luna, lives on what looks exactly like the skyscraper-top mansion from the Hypno/Drwozee episode from Season 1.

Korobooshi Kojiro
18th November 2006, 3:26 PM
Yeah, and the lake resembles the one in that episode, and the girl with the Chansey was in that episode as well.

WaterDragon trainer
18th November 2006, 3:26 PM
Just saw this in the US. This episode was great. The beginning was kinda freaky. Red Lightning's owner really annoyed me to no end. It was great to see Scizor get KOed by Sceptile (I know it's mean, but I can't stand people like her although I do feel a LITTLE bad for her). At least she learned her lesson.

Pokemonger49777
18th November 2006, 3:31 PM
That episode was just on cartoon network! The fact that the scizor man was really just a scizor was unexpected!

Villi
18th November 2006, 4:24 PM
That episode was OK, I guess. I got all hyped up when I noticed Scizor and Sceptile were going to fight. But when I saw it the fight was to short. And stupid. Scizor and Sceptile could fly because of the wind? What the fudge? Why can't I do that?

CyberCubed
18th November 2006, 4:27 PM
Scizor and Sceptile could fly because of the wind? What the fudge? Why can't I do that?

Because you're not a cartoon character.

Anyway, loved this episode. Nice spotlight for both Sceptile and May, especially considering both will only be around for a bit longer.

uncutpokemon
18th November 2006, 4:48 PM
i sure wish they could've done an english vocal of i won't lose in this episode, just like how the last episode did an english vocal for Polk O Dolka! oh well, but at least they kept in some of the BGM intact

Horn Drill
18th November 2006, 4:54 PM
This episode was actually pretty original and clever. One thing that bothers me is that they never really explained how or why that Scizor was scribbling all over the Pokemons' faces, Jigglypuff-style. How could it hold a marker in those claws? O_o

Villi
18th November 2006, 5:02 PM
This episode was actually pretty original and clever. One thing that bothers me is that they never really explained how or why that Scizor was scribbling all over the Pokemons' faces, Jigglypuff-style. How could it hold a marker in those claws? O_o

And what was on its eye? A scope lens? And why were the winds in that town so strong? And who's voice was it that people thought was Scizor's? It sure wasn't that little girl. "Kay". They needed to explain more.

Outlawz
18th November 2006, 5:24 PM
This episode was good untill mays squirtle beat scizor with one rapid spin then i got kinda ******, but i was a pretty good episode.

CyberCubed
18th November 2006, 5:27 PM
This episode was good untill mays squirtle beat scizor with one rapid spin then i got kinda ******, but i was a pretty good episode.

It struck it right in its neck consecutively, what exactly was wrong with that?

It's really annoying that people complain EVERY single time Squirtle beats a Pokemon. Jesus.

cassius335
18th November 2006, 5:31 PM
And what was on its eye? A scope lens? And why were the winds in that town so strong? And who's voice was it that people thought was Scizor's? It sure wasn't that little girl. "Kay". They needed to explain more.

According to earlier in the thread it's a targeting mechanism. Why you'd need one for Swift I don't know...

ImJessieTR
18th November 2006, 6:13 PM
yawn, a Molly rip-off. I think the jigglypuff repeat was supposed to be a clue to let you know Red-Lightning's controlled by a kid. I WONDERED where I had seen that mansion before... oh well. Loved the team up with TR. So, is Red Lightning suppposed to be that shadowy figure from the Advanced Battle opening? I mean, I heard that was Mewtwo but it would make more sense to use someone actually in this arc.

Horn Drill
18th November 2006, 6:17 PM
That couldn't be the same building from "Hypno's Naptime" (or whatever it was called), because this was a different city.

The Jigglypuff throwback got my hopes up for nothing. :( But it's good that we had an episode with a strong and cool Scizor. The last time we saw one was briefly in that episode with Drake in Advanced Battle, and it got whooped by Torkoal. The overuse of Hyper Beam was kind of bland, though. =/

Almighty Zard
18th November 2006, 9:54 PM
It struck it right in its neck consecutively, what exactly was wrong with that?

It's really annoying that people complain EVERY single time Squirtle beats a Pokemon. Jesus.

Though in this particular case it's the fact that Squirtle redeemed it's loss that it should have kept, i agree with what everyone else said they should of had May use a different pokemon to battle Scizor with instead.

People have a reason to complain though, most of the battles Squirtle gets into it wins through cheap methods, plus it has a tendancy to upstage other pokemon when it has no business doing so.

Medea
19th November 2006, 12:13 AM
*sighs*...How I do miss the days with that little annoying Jigglypuff.

But beyond my senseless ramblings, it was an okay episode. Oh and before I forget!

Squirtle, YOU GOT KNOCKED THE **** OUT!

Now Luna...another little girl with wealth. I get so sick of that crap! And even though I really hate May's Squirtle for many friggin reasons, the second battle was a pretty good one.

Darkness Angel
19th November 2006, 2:53 AM
Sure had a spam on hyper beams today.

Xain
19th November 2006, 5:37 AM
i had been looking forward to this episode since the japanese one was aired. while it was decent, i was expecting a much longer battle between Sceptile and Scizor. its a shame too.....that Red Lighting costume looked really hot. (also think they should have referred it as "The Red Lighting". the article would have made it sound better.)

also they could have done alot with this....give it a different back story and have Ash and Co. run in to it for a few episodes. back to back episodes or an appearance ever couple of episodes....either would have been fine. shame to see such a cool concept go.

So, is Red Lightning suppposed to be that shadowy figure from the Advanced Battle opening? I mean, I heard that was Mewtwo but it would make more sense to use someone actually in this arc.

even with that logic, it's not plausible. this is the only time we see the Red Lighting so why put him in an intro, in a season he's not in, if he is not that important. (course there is always the theory that he might have been planed to give him a big role but it was latter scrapped. i give that a 5% chance of being true.)

Crimsonmon
19th November 2006, 4:57 PM
According to earlier in the thread it's a targeting mechanism. Why you'd need one for Swift I don't know...

Well, Swift has missed a bunch of times in the anime, so that can excuse that I suposse.

Lishus13
20th November 2006, 5:24 AM
Ok, this was definetly a rip of Celadon's mainframe structure. That is the same hedge maze as the one in "Hypno's Naptime" and the same lake and girl!

Why did the freaking Poliwag have to get beaten :( It would've whooped Red Lightning's *** if the writer's weren't so "the only cute pokemon that can win are May's do you hear me? MAYYYY!!! 0111001111"

May's Squirtle is starting to annoy the heck out of me. Between it's repititive contest appeals and that stupid stance, I just want to tear it's head off!

Anyway, good episode. Sure, whatever. Go take a look at the pokemon in the Center that were beaten and the pokemon before the contest in "What I Did For Love". Awful lot of pokemon that the main characters own.

R_N
20th November 2006, 5:40 AM

Yah, I figure it was one of those things built into the costume(the eye). And as for the voice, its called a VOICE CHANGER. I think it was just assumed.

I thought the ep was preatty good, although the roof top made me think of the Hypno ep.

Rashdan
20th November 2006, 5:47 AM
This was a fairly good episode. It was awesome when Ash's Sceptile flew after Scizor XD

And yea, the city had many similarities with Celadon.

wobbanut
21st November 2006, 3:51 AM
This episode was okay. The part I liked best was the twerps climbing into Team Rocket's balloon so they could chase after Red Lightning ("What do we look like, a twerp taxi?"). LOL I saw the pictures for this episode how long ago and I didn't even remember it. Actually, the only thing I remembered at all from the pictures was the Grovyle/scizor fight, come to think of it. That fight was awesome from start to finish. The little rich girl was annoying, for sure. However, I did like Max dragging Brock away from Nurse Joy and telling him that his horse is double-parked. :D

Overall, 6/10.

Knight_Ram
23rd November 2006, 11:48 PM
This episdoe is pretty good! I liked that the little girls scizor was hers and she was only very young! But how could her scizor withstand so many hyperbeams and not get exhausted? Oh well, still a good battle with Sceptile leaf blade'n that scizor and saving it! Great episode 8/10.

RageKaiser
25th November 2006, 4:59 AM
The one thing I looked forward to in this episode was edited out ;-;
Looks like we'll never hear Watashi, Makenai in the dub, Not even if it was dubbed like Polka o Dolka was.

Jorah
26th November 2006, 6:00 PM
This episode was okay. The part I liked best was the twerps climbing into Team Rocket's balloon so they could chase after Red Lightning ("What do we look like, a twerp taxi?")

That was my favourite part of the episode too. LOL at "What do we look like? A twerp taxi cab?" Quite a good episode for a filler.

misty'scorsola
5th July 2007, 2:41 PM
OK, that mansion has to be the same as the one from Hypno's naptime! There were so many references to that episode! And another thing, I didn't know Scizor couldn't fly, I'm sure I've seen it fly in the anime before without "being carried by the wind" (base-jumping with an updraft if you ask me). And my personal opinion: Red Lightning is the pokemon we see in the opening of the Advanced Battle series, not Mewtwo. Yes, his appearance was brief, but plenty of one-off characters have appeared in the opening credits - and let's be honest, the Advanced Battle opening credits are just a preview of the Battle Frontier Series anyway.

Rommath
11th January 2009, 2:02 PM
It was an okay episode. The Scizor was strong and the 'twerp taxi' bit was funny. Alright for a filler.

The rich girl was strange though...

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 11:46 AM
That Scizor really creeped me out. Fun episode. I love how they just high jacked TR's balloon like that. lol

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 2:16 PM
That Scizor really creeped me out. Fun episode. I love how they just high jacked TR's balloon like that. lol

yeah that was indeed a cool part, i loved this episode xD

Littlemyuu
10th March 2009, 5:04 PM
I love this episode, that Scizor is so awesome...its my fave pokemon

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 12:59 PM
Scizor was strong, i loved the battle vs Sceptile...

And it was strange to see the building from ep.27

8/10

Lorde
26th December 2009, 7:00 AM
Was the show's narrator voicing the Scizor?

Anyway, more Filler. After the Battle Pike, that's mostly what we got. I liked that Scizor belonged to a rich kid though. They usually belong to expert trainers.

Glad we got to see Sceptile trying to fend off Scizor. This episode was satisfying in an odd way. 4/10

Willow's Tara
17th May 2010, 10:08 AM
I found this a quite interesting episode, love it really. Scizor was pretty good as a red crimson (Although I always thought Scizors just flew and had nothing to do with air or am I mixing that up with Sceptile?) Red Lightening was pretty good name for it.
Although I think they might have overreacted, why can't Scizor/Luna go around battling everyone? Ash has done it with streaks, and drawing on the Pokemon is the least worst thing the Pokemon could do, snapping them like a twig with it's claws would be the worst

Painkiller2001
15th December 2010, 6:06 PM
Wow, Max sure got shut up in this episode episode.

Brock: "Max, I don't really think she cares what you think!" <Buuuurrrrrn!

Although it wasn't long, I, like others have said, really liked the Scizor/Sceptile battle.

It was kind of funny for a bit when Scizor landed on the ice and it slipped. Clumsy Scizor! No offense to Scizor fans, though!

Lance The Champ
17th December 2010, 10:49 AM
Nice episode... a battle with a Scizor is always exciting

G50
26th April 2011, 4:28 PM
This episode was ok... Sceptile vs Scizor was a good battle. It was interesting to see Squirtle be able to deafeat that Scizor when it was disguised as Red Lightning. Sceptile was close to defying gravity when it was battling Scizor on the side of the buildings. It was disappointing to see that the disguise wasn't really a diguise per-say.

29/100

Vernikova
16th September 2012, 12:00 AM
Meh. An okay episode. Scizor wasn't as terrifying as it was portrayed to be. After all, it's challenging ten-year-olds for "tough battles." XD

Dawn+Serena Fan
3rd July 2013, 11:11 PM
This was a good episode, That Scizor was awesome in battle and I enjoyed its battles against May's Squirtle and Ash's Sceptile.

PokemontrainerY
8th July 2013, 6:19 PM
This was an okay episode, I liked it when that rich kid's scizor battled Ash's Sceptile and May's Squirtle. It was nice to see the building from EP027 - Hypno's naptime.

Painkiller2001
16th November 2014, 11:16 PM
Some of these other cities in Kanto have to be where Gary got some of his extra badges.

Lorde
1st December 2014, 1:15 AM
I really enjoyed seeing Ash and friends in a big city again. I thought that Scizor randomly challenging trainers and scribbling on their Pokemon was lame though. So much wasted potential. That mansion on the skyscraper looked so much like the one from OS in my opinion and I appreciated May and Squirtle finally beating Scizor at the end.