PDA

View Full Version : What's with the lack of cars?

Shigeru
4th March 2006, 3:16 AM
Seriously, why does everyone use a bike or feet to get around from place to place? You don't see any cars around in the anime (and I know they exist). What's up with that? Is this to create a futuristic-medieval image (like in Star Wars)?

Torkie10
4th March 2006, 3:27 AM
Because going everywhere in a car would be far too easy. As for the sky; some people have pokemon that know fly. No planes needed. The sea has ships and pokemon.

Geodude
4th March 2006, 3:37 AM
There were lots in the newest Japanese episode. There are definitely paved roads that link the cities (we saw one in The Pi-Kahuna, for example), it's just that the gang doesn't travel on them.

Geki
4th March 2006, 3:39 AM
If everyone drove around in cars the anime would be boring. Wouldn't you rather see trainers/people out traveling on a journey then everyone driving around? For some characters, a car is cool though. Like Scott and Gary's old car.

pikachu146
4th March 2006, 3:41 AM
There are cars in the anime.I remember Scott has a car.
But if the heroes have cars,well they travel too fast.Then there won't be so many episodes.

Satoshi
4th March 2006, 3:47 AM
Since the games have your character walking most of the time, the anime goes by that: walking. Sure, Satoshi, Haruka, Takeshi and Masato can go on bikes, but that would deprive us of seeing them hungry and tired (beginning of Candid Camerupt). :D

Seriously, IMO, the characters riding in Bike/cars all the time would be boring. I much rather them walking. Save that idea for a filler episode.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
4th March 2006, 3:57 AM
it wouldn't be a good example if we saw ash and co. revving up the road in a pick-up truck, or Team rocket running over civilians in a monster truck trying to catch pikachu. I mean, they do show cars sometimes when they are in a city right?

Kabuto
4th March 2006, 3:57 AM
The characters walk so they can encounter wild pokemon and enjoy the sites on their journey. Otherwise you wouldn't see any wil pokemon like in Colosseum/XD when you use the vehicle to skip past all of the wild pokemon.

PDL
4th March 2006, 5:05 AM
In any case, a lot of other anime I see, cars have very little to do with anything. They're just here and there, and maybe once in a while they're used.

the only anime I can think of that dealt with cars was Speed Racer...

other then that, Cars are not as important in Japan as they are in North America, since it's pretty small, nearly everything is biking distance...

and they're just kids, they wouldn't know how to drive anyway.

.Bambi.
4th March 2006, 6:03 AM
As others have said, there isn't much focus on cars because the Anime is based off the games. And in the games, there isn't even a road, only Routes. So, staying true to the game meant they had to cut back on cars and such...even in big cities.

Though the most common place to find a car is in big cities...think of Meowth's Adventures in Big Town. There were quite a few cars there.

Chris
4th March 2006, 6:06 AM
Do remember that a lot of the time, the gang are either in forests, middle of nowhere, or villages. It's not often they're in cities, big ones to be precise.

Really no need for cars for country bumpkins. :P

Geki
4th March 2006, 6:31 AM
Do remember that a lot of the time, the gang are either in forests, middle of nowhere, or villages. It's not often they're in cities, big ones to be precise.

Really no need for cars for country bumpkins. :P

Yeah, it'd be kind of hard for them to drive through mountains, forests, and oceans don't you think?

S.Suikun
4th March 2006, 6:48 AM
They can improvise like real-life construction workers do - Deforesting and blasting mountainsides. As for the ocean...they can make really long bridges.

Or Kanto/Johto/Hoenn just have really cheap economies.

Yamato-san
4th March 2006, 10:41 AM
They can improvise like real-life construction workers do - Deforesting and blasting mountainsides. As for the ocean...they can make really long bridges.

Actually, I hear that Japan preserves a huge percentage of its forest land. That'd likely be the same case in the Pokemon world, considering several aspects of it is based off of the country it's made in. Add onto this the fact that going out into the wild to collect creatures for battle is probably the biggest sport in that world, and I'd highly doubt there'd be much deforesting and mountainside destruction, especially not in excess amounts as you seem to imply.

Atomic Boo
4th March 2006, 10:55 AM
The transport links aren't particularly good in the places the gang go. There are often nice energy efficient methods of travel in some of the cities.
It's most likely the whole Japan, no need for cars thing though.

pikachu!
4th March 2006, 3:22 PM
wow if there was cars they would be at the gym by now

shining-Celebi
4th March 2006, 3:33 PM
I think only really rich people can afford cars in the pokemon world.That's why we hardly ever see cars.

Geki
4th March 2006, 3:43 PM
I think only really rich people can afford cars in the pokemon world.That's why we hardly ever see cars.

Not true. There are many people in the show with cars, like in Pi-Kahuna, I doubt they were all rich. And in the recent Battle Fronteir Saga, there are lots of people using cars and different vehicles.

ŁańkaŃ
4th March 2006, 3:46 PM
Seriously, why does everyone use a bike or feet to get around from place to place? You don't see any cars around in the anime (and I know they exist). What's up with that? Is this to create a futuristic-medieval image (like in Star Wars)?

lets all all the older ppl do...like Nurse Joy, and bigger city consist of them...

and also the guy that appears at every BF Symbol battle has one too...lol

so...yea there

but hey..it's better to travel by FEET OR BIKE..in my opinon...u don't wanna see a CHUBBY ASH...all those exercise have kept them in shape

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
5th March 2006, 4:24 AM
but hey..it's better to travel by FEET OR BIKE..in my opinon...u don't wanna see a CHUBBY ASH...all those exercise have kept them in shape
LOL, and the guy you're talking about is Scott.

Remember, Prof. Birch has a car too. although when he used it, it was more like a roller coaster :p(see first Hoenn episode)

Ralts Master
5th March 2006, 5:25 AM
As for the sky; some people have pokemon that know fly. No planes needed.
Planes DO exist in the Pokemon world. So do blimps, and hot air balloons.

And for that matter, the Pokemon world has trains, too. You use one to go from Goldenrod to Saffron in GSC...

Judai Yuki
5th March 2006, 5:52 AM
Yeah also in the anime when ash is in GoldenRod team rocket get sent to Saffron i believe.Also in "In a Meowth to a Flame"The Proffesor has a limosine(sp?)(big car).

Magus
5th March 2006, 6:37 AM
As has been mentioned, it's harder to catch Pokémon while driving around in a car. You're liable to miss a lot of the ones you'd want to catch. Most of the ones Ash has caught, he'd have never even seen if he used a car.

Also, some people don't really need cars. A flying Pokémon is a better way to get around if it's large enough to carry you; you never have to worry about traffic jams. :D

Flame Haze SnS
5th March 2006, 6:45 AM
Speaking of Flying, an airplane is seen this morning (Island Time).

Astinus
5th March 2006, 11:23 AM
Obviously, if one is driving in a car, one runs the chance of smooshing a Pikachu. (Which is some fans' deep desire...) Paved roads weren't all the rage in Kanto; it was mostly forests. You can't fit a car through a forest. Now that they are in a more civilized area, it's too late for cars. (Wow. That makes no sense.)

Besides, they are too young to drive. Except for Brock, who piloted lots of transportation devices, like a blimp, motor boats, and whatnot. And he can't drive the car if the heroes ever get one, because then that would give him a purpose... *ducks*

Skrusti
5th March 2006, 11:34 AM

O_o Futuristic-Medieval image...like Star Wars? *fwaps* When you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, don't talk about it Dx

Lookit Team Rocket :/ They use vehicles all the time. 'Nuff said. (Balloon, mechas, etc. They've drove a vehicle in quite a few eppies.)

Celestial Turtle
5th March 2006, 11:38 AM
Pikachu Roadkill. D: Now THERE'S an image. 8D

And far as I know, ten-year old kids don't drive. ;D And gas costs money. Lots of it. :<

Astinus
5th March 2006, 11:53 AM
Celestial Turtle (Glad you liked the Pikachu roadkill! ^_^) brings up a good point. Gas and money.

Gas: Where would they get it from? Oil and other natural resources haven't been seen much in the Pokémon world. Unless they use corn for fuel, which is a stretch in itself, as farming hasn't been explored. It was only seen in the "Wake Up Snorlax" episode, as far as my memory serves me. So cars aren't used much for fuel reasons too.

Money: Where do the twerps get it? They don't get money for winning battles. They don't hold jobs. And they travel too much to get it from parents. So how do they keep getting food and other supplies? Some food is found in the wild, but not meat or bread, and definintly not Pokécookies. So what's up with that?

Yamato-san
5th March 2006, 11:54 AM
a lot of people keep bringing up people using flying Pokemon to get around, but since when have we seen that in the anime? Several flying Pokemon aren't even capable of carrying a human, and even for the ones that are, we don't see them used that way. The only exception would be seeing Satoshi ride Pigeot and Lizardon, Arlon on Pigeot, and maybe a couple other cases. Even when flying, it takes a good while to cover distances (I believe Takeshi called to have Lizardon sent over to the Shirogane Tournament the day before he arrived, and when he arrived at the Battle Factory, it was nightfall). It's not as instantaneous as it is in the games (and maybe the Special manga). Plus, you have to consider that Satoshi has a party with him. If he gets Pigeot back or constantly calls Zeek to send Lizardon so he can get around places easier, Haruka, Masato, and Takeshi don't have access to such Pokemon, nor would Satoshi's Pokemon be capable of carrying all four of them (at first, Lizardon had trouble carrying Satoshi alone).

.Bambi.
5th March 2006, 10:36 PM
Hmmm...lookie what I found in the most recent Japanese Episode?

http://filb.greenchu.de/content/anime/ag166/034.jpg

OMGCARZ! =O

PDL
5th March 2006, 10:37 PM
you know, I aught to add the transportation questions to the Faq...

lightspeed
6th March 2006, 6:28 PM
Two reasons:
In the Pokemon world many people are trainers and they don't have a job so they can't afford a car. Only a few rich people could afford one.

Most people are trainers and they don't even want a car because they want to explore forests, caves, mountains, and cars can't travel in these places; besides it is more convenient to catch wild pokemon if they don't travel in a car. When they see a pokemon they can just battle it and catch it, if they drive a car, then they would have to get down every time to catch a pokemon and the sound of cars could also scare wild pokemon away.

Magus
6th March 2006, 6:53 PM
Money: Where do the twerps get it? They don't get money for winning battles. They don't hold jobs. And they travel too much to get it from parents. So how do they keep getting food and other supplies? Some food is found in the wild, but not meat or bread, and definintly not Pokécookies. So what's up with that?
Pokémon Center = free food.

Plus, you have to consider that Satoshi has a party with him. If he gets Pigeot back or constantly calls Zeek to send Lizardon so he can get around places easier, Haruka, Masato, and Takeshi don't have access to such Pokemon, nor would Satoshi's Pokemon be capable of carrying all four of them (at first, Lizardon had trouble carrying Satoshi alone).
Ash usually isn't in that big a hurry, so that's not an issue. Gym (and in this season, Battle Facility) Battles can be done whenever the challenger shows up. He has the time to just walk to wherever he's going. Plus, doing so has the advantage of giving him more opportunities to train his Pokémon and possibly catch new ones. Even if he were travelling alone and had Charizard with him, Ash would probably only ride on him for fun, not to get from city to city.

Astinus
6th March 2006, 11:25 PM
Pokémon Center = free food.

Free food from the Pokémon Center? Sure. But when they are wandering around in the woods, what happens then? Do they take supplies from the Center? Becuase in that episode with the Houndour, Brock had a sausage with him. Last thing I knew, meat needed refrigeration. He might have just grabbed it just then, but meat shouldn't stay out longer than an half-hour. By night time, the real meat would have been nasty smelling. (I might be applying too much thought to food though.)

As for using the Pokémon for transportation...what would be the point? The journey is for the betterment of the human as well as the Pokémon, in my opinion. Using one's own strength to get around is better than relying on some monster that also battles for you.