PDA

View Full Version : Mario references in Pokemon

Shigeru
6th March 2006, 12:37 AM
Pokemon Heroes: Super Mario Sunshine (the city with rivers for roads and an Italian theme, and the girl named Bianca seemed like a reference to Sunshine's first world: Bianco Hills)
Jirachi, Wish Maker: Mario Party 3 (The Millenium Comet seemed similar to the Millenium Star, and the emphasis on the number 7 was also similar)
Any more?

Neon Lite
6th March 2006, 12:41 AM
I'd call them coincidental happenings, not referances...but still, that's pretty interesting...the whole Pokemon Heroes/Sunshine thing does sound positively belivable.

FlamingRuby
6th March 2006, 12:44 AM
When Earl and Brock dance in "A Bout With Sprout", I feel that they look similar (body shape wise, anyway) to Mario (Earl) and Luigi (Brock)

Both Daisy and that one girl in movie 8 bear an uncanny resemblence to Peach.

Shigeru
6th March 2006, 12:50 AM
I could also point out that May kind of resembles Luigi in Neglected status (but the female protagonist is always lower than the male in anime, anyway)

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th March 2006, 12:53 AM
The city in Heroes and Bianco are both seemingly based off Venice somewhat...

However, the Pinata's do look a lot like Swalots!

The Big Al
6th March 2006, 12:57 AM
You just put a dirty visual into my head.

Having not seen Heroes, I wouldn't be able to tell. However, I can see where you're going. I don't know if it was intentional but it does seem interesting.

Shigeru-kun
6th March 2006, 12:57 AM
Pokemon Heroes: Super Mario Sunshine (the city with rivers for roads and an Italian theme, and the girl named Bianca seemed like a reference to Sunshine's first world: Bianco Hills)
No offense, but I really don't think that's a refrence. ^^; The water ways in Italy are very interesting and amazing, so seeing them used in things isn't unusal. As for Bianca, well...seeing as her original name was Kanon, that one falls apart right from the start. If anything she was just called Bianca because it's a fairly well known Italian name. I highly doubt 4Kids is smart enough to make the Shigeru--Nintendo--etc. connection.

Lil Brother
6th March 2006, 2:03 AM
Am I the only one to notice Bianca's grandfather in Heroes looks like an older Mario?

Alfonso
6th March 2006, 2:04 AM
Itsa me, Alfon-so!

You know, I'm going to close this thread. Sorry, but non of the 'references' you posted sound anything like Mario references. On the same logic, I could say the cukko named 'Cojiro' in Zelda Ocarina of Time was a Pokemon Reference.

Also, Italian looking city =/= Mario.

That and it's a generally stupid thread that doesn't seem to be going anywhere and will probably amass SPAM. :<