PDA

View Full Version : St Anne arc

MaskedManAbsolkid
6th March 2006, 5:56 PM
Just a few questions about the three eps in the St Anne saga.

1) In the second ep (the one where they have to escape the ship), Officer Jenny mentions five people not coming out alive. Then how did the Gentleman he traded Butterfree to get out alive? Surely if he had've ran fast, he'd have only just made it to the lifeboats, which were already in the water.

2) Why was the St Anne made into the Pokemon Titanic? The captain calls it unsinkable, and it sinks. It's treated like Titanic a bit. Was this a dub thing or not?

3) Why were Butterfree and Pidgeotto not lost? Is it that the pokemon would've found their trainers easily. Now that I think about it, why didn't the group use Pidgeotto or Butterfree?

4) Did anyone like this arc? I did, it was a nice change from other eps.

Please, I want no 'Its a cartoon!' answers.

The Benmeister
6th March 2006, 6:00 PM
1) ...magic? Well I dunno, but wouldn't you be running as fast as you could to get out? Plus, Ash only took ages because the Pokeball flew out of his hand.

2) Well, why not?

3) To the first part, obviously it would be too easy to find the gang again if they were lost. For the second part though...I have no idea. Maybe because it would make more of an episode if they didn't use them.

4) Indeed, I liked it. I only wish they did stuff like this recently.

Jesse GS the II
6th March 2006, 9:45 PM

Well, it is a cartoon, and quite frankly, I'm noticing a sudden increase in these threads that try to explain the logic of this thorougly illogical anime. All together now...

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Although, for the record, the whole capsizing thing was supposed to be a reference to The Poseidon Adventure, not the sinking of the Titanic.

PDL
6th March 2006, 9:51 PM
1) In the second ep (the one where they have to escape the ship), Officer Jenny mentions five people not coming out alive. Then how did the Gentleman he traded Butterfree to get out alive? Surely if he had've ran fast, he'd have only just made it to the lifeboats, which were already in the water.

the five included Ash, Misty, Brock, Jessie and James

2) Why was the St Anne made into the Pokemon Titanic? The captain calls it unsinkable, and it sinks. It's treated like Titanic a bit. Was this a dub thing or not?

not sure, but whenever any ship is considered "unsinkable" chances are, it'll sink :p

3) Why were Butterfree and Pidgeotto not lost? Is it that the pokemon would've found their trainers easily. Now that I think about it, why didn't the group use Pidgeotto or Butterfree?

yeah, Pidgeotto and Butterfree would have very easily flown back to Ash.

Heracross
6th March 2006, 11:00 PM
Personally, I would go so far as to say this arc is one of the best things to happen to the Pocket Monsters series, but I don't really see why it needs its own thread.

CyberCubed
6th March 2006, 11:13 PM
The St. Anne trilogy along with the Sabrina trilogy are some of the best episodes in the entire series (this is including AG).

Good stuff, really awesome episodes. :D

PDL
6th March 2006, 11:16 PM
we could do with freaky plots that have absolutely nothing to do with pokemon and that put the group in mortal peril... :(

Geki
6th March 2006, 11:16 PM
I loved the St.Anne episodes. I have them on VHS, actually. I have tons of Kanto episodes on VHS.

Kabuto
6th March 2006, 11:17 PM
1. Maybe the Gentleman had an Abra to teleport? Also he left while Ash dropped his Butterfree.

2. Thats the point, its supposed to be like Titanic. And no this isn't dub only. Japanese can show American stuff, god forbid 4Kids show Japanese references >_>.

3. Ash ran after his Pokemon.

4. I loved these episodes, including the Island of Giant Pokemon following it. The Kanto episodes are best, there is no denying it.

Astinus
7th March 2006, 1:28 AM
Just a few questions about the three eps in the St Anne saga.

1.) The gentleman's Pokball did not fly out of his hand when the boat lurched. So he had no delay in reaching the lifeboats, as Ash and the gang did. Besides, he was tall and had long legs, so I assume that he could run faster than short Ash.

2.) Not a dub thing. Though, the movie Titanic was popular at the time this was dubbed, I beleive. (Don't know, don't care.)

3.) Pidgeotto was returned to the Pokéball before Ash traded back for Butterfree. And Butterfree was in the Pokéball before the boat capsized. In the next episode, they did use Pidgeotto to try and find land when they were on the arc. It also had a mentioning of Noah, which is rare now in the dub.

4.) Like it. Can't wait until I can really study the episodes.

Jesse GS the II
7th March 2006, 1:40 AM
Although, for the record, the whole capsizing thing was supposed to be a reference to The Poseidon Adventure, not the sinking of the Titanic.

2. Thats the point, its supposed to be like Titanic.

2.) Not a dub thing. Though, the movie Titanic was popular at the time this was dubbed, I beleive. (Don't know, don't care.)

Nobody listens to me.

Xero
7th March 2006, 4:12 AM
That guy who traded with Ash probably didn't drown since he ran away after Ash traded back, unlike Ash since he dropped his Butterfree's pokeball.

Willow's Tara
7th March 2006, 4:42 AM
1. Even if he didn't make it, he could have gotten a water Pokemon to get him out (The Gentleman) but Ash, Misty, Brock, Jessie, James, Pikachu and Meowth evatually got knocked out before they could make it to the entrance.

2. I haven't seen this episode in awhile I have it on video I think, might still work. so I am not sure about Pidegetto and Butterfree.

3. Actaully come to think of it was a cool espoide, and it did have suspense with it been contuined. And the good guyds working with the bad guys, interesting. The Pokemon Island was my favourite thought, petty they couldn't have been lost a little longer.
Hey maybe the Lost's monster (You know the show Lost) is actually a Giant Pokemon leftover from the Giant Pokemon Island. What, you never know? lol, now I wanna rewatch these three episodes again.

intergalactic platypus
7th March 2006, 4:43 AM
The gentleman was a throwaway character. If he drowned, officer Jenny wouldn't be dammned to care since he was just a nameless filler dude of course. And yes its my favorite arc

ハルカ and ゴンベ
7th March 2006, 5:29 AM
Nobody listens to me.
Thats right, no one listens to you, thats because you have no Anime soul, We realise it's just a show but we like to look into things, not everything has to be about reality!

Dogasu
7th March 2006, 5:43 AM
Jess GS the II was referring to his comments about the Titanic lines being dub-added being ignored, not the whole "it's a cartoon, relax" thing.

ハルカ and ゴンベ
7th March 2006, 5:48 AM
Jess GS the II was referring to his comments about the Titanic lines being dub-added being ignored, not the whole "it's a cartoon, relax" thing.
Still, No one listens to him with that either.

Dogasu
7th March 2006, 5:51 AM
Well you should, since all the Titanic references ARE dub-only.

Satoshi
7th March 2006, 6:46 AM
There isn't really much I can say about this arc that I haven't already said in one of the episode disscussions. It was just too excellent. Heck, I can ramble on and on about how good it was and how that was what Pokemon episodes should be. It had a great set-up, yadda yadda yadda, great filler characters (esspecially the captain, Yadon and Yadoran =3), great plot, yadda yadda yadda. And it was actually the only time where we could look into the actual persoanalities of the Pokemon. The subtitle thing in Island of the Giant Pokemon was a great idea to take a peek into the attitudes and personalities of the Pokemon (Which they should've did in the Pikachu specials in the first place -_-).

MaskedManAbsolkid
7th March 2006, 6:51 PM
Jesse, you just HAVE to ignore my post anyway to get in your opinion, don't you? Some people DO like to research this stuff, like ~Satoshi~ said -_-

The first question was because in the video I own (Thunder Shock! It has the ep where Ash defeats Surge too), the last we see of the Gentleman is staring at Ash and the gang.

The second question was because I know of someone who saw the original and mentioned that there were no Titanic mentions (or Poesidon Adventures, Jesse).

For the third one, I had a thought. Maybe Ash didn't use Butterfree because he didn't know what it'd think of him for trading him, or because he didn't want it to be hurt again.

Jesse GS the II
7th March 2006, 8:07 PM
The second question was because I know of someone who saw the original and mentioned that there were no Titanic mentions (or Poesidon Adventures, Jesse).

Have you seen The Poseidon Adventure? The entire film deals with a ship that capsizes in a storm, trapping a group of people inside as it sits upside down underwater, and those people have to make their way to the bottom of the ship in order to escape. The entire plot of the second episode in this arc is a direct reference to the film, even if it's never stated outright in the dialogue.

Jesse, you just HAVE to ignore my post anyway to get in your opinion, don't you? Some people DO like to research this stuff, like Satoshi said -_-

Yes, I do have to ignore it, because I am a MSTie, and all MSTies are literalists. I obsess over my TV show too, but at least I realize that it's just a TV show. I don't worry about how Joel or Mike eat and breathe, and I don't worry about how Servo and Crow get rebuilt after they get blown up, and I don't worry about how Frank gets revived after Dr. Forrester kills him - it's just a show, and as such, I realize that I should really just relax. With this sudden trend of people asking all manner of anal-retentive questions about logic on the show (asking where they bathe and whatnot), it really drives me nuts because I feel like I'm the only one around here who knows that this is a cartoon, not the real-life televised diaries of a group of Pokémon trainers.

Don't try to iron out all the inconsistencies in the show, folks, just sit back and enjoy it for what it is. You'd be much better off.

MaskedManAbsolkid
7th March 2006, 8:10 PM
I don't want to start a fight, but if you're going to post that, even when people WANT to discuss this, then there's NO point in posting.

I'm going to rewatch these eps, because I'm sure I missed something about the gentleman.

Satoshi
7th March 2006, 10:40 PM
Jesse, you just HAVE to ignore my post anyway to get in your opinion, don't you? Some people DO like to research this stuff, like Satoshi said -_-
Just so there's no confusion, that would be ~Satoshi~, not me. :P

Yamato-san
8th March 2006, 2:21 AM
The subtitle thing in Island of the Giant Pokemon was a great idea to take a peek into the attitudes and personalities of the Pokemon (Which they should've did in the Pikachu specials in the first place -_-).

I don't know. I think the mini-movies succeeded in showing the personalities to some extent, here and there. Remember when Kimori was trying his hardest not to dance?

Willow's Tara
8th March 2006, 3:38 AM
Jesse- Great find, I never knew that, I watched Posiedon Adventure last year and it never occured to me that the Pokemon episode was a reference to that, and makes sense, their was fire, they had to get up to the first floor, obstacles were in thier way.

If they didn't have Pokemon it probably be just like it.
But thena gain I haven't seen that episode for a long while.

Freedom
8th March 2006, 1:55 PM
This was my favourite and most memorable arc of the entire series. I really wanted to watch the next episode when it ended with a cliffhanger with the ship sinking. Pokemon will never be as good as the first season.

Thanks for pointing out the references to The Poseiden Adventure. I always thought it was Titanic.