PDA

View Full Version : why is this chart not on main site

muffineater
7th March 2006, 10:51 PM
i have seen a chart similar to this in a strategy guide book and i was curious why it wasnt on serebii.net in the game mechanics section or anywhere actually.

http://www.pokemondungeon.com/pkmnchart.htm

but some are not like steel only being super effective agianst ice. when r,s,e gives you meta as a uber makeing you think that it will be really strong

i dont care for the negitive coments ie newbs

fhqwhgads
7th March 2006, 10:58 PM
I really don't know.

blaze boy
7th March 2006, 11:00 PM
because most of them is simple to know like water beat fire grass beat water and so on.

Locke Yggdrasill
7th March 2006, 11:24 PM
Too bad newbs don't know the first thing about pokemon, and rely of SPP to help them. :rolleyes:

PLANES CURE TOWERS
7th March 2006, 11:33 PM
Too bad newbs don't know the first thing about pokemon, and rely of SPP to help them. :rolleyes:
Actually you'd think that having the battle chart included within site content is standard for pokemon sites.

I'm curious myself.

-Josh

Mimori Kiryu
7th March 2006, 11:36 PM
That's a good question. You would think that having a chart like that would almost be a given on a Pokemon Site. :< Why Serebii doesn't have one like it, I dunno. :O Maybe he just never thought about it because he figured everyone would know? Common sense would tell them? *shrugs*

Serebii
7th March 2006, 11:39 PM
Because one comes with the manuals and its just a waste of space on the site

Fluorescent Adolescent
7th March 2006, 11:39 PM
i have a chart similar to this in a strategy guide book and i was curious why it wasnt on serebii.net in the game mechanics section or anywhere actually.

http://www.pokemondungeon.com/pkmnchart.htm

but some are not like steel only being super effective agianst ice. when r,s,e gives you meta as a uber makeing you think that it will be really strong

i dont care for the negitive coments ie newbs

The one you showed is awful and hurt my eyes ;o;

The one off netbattle is the best one D: For the new people to pokemon though, it would help. Besides it might as well be covered, despite how well known the chart is. It'd be easy to make and quick as well :/

muffineater
7th March 2006, 11:40 PM
thank you serebii close if you like

Crazedyanma
7th March 2006, 11:47 PM
Too bad newbs don't know the first thing about pokemon, and rely of SPP to help them. :rolleyes:You have just insulted all newbs from now and forever more.

Originally Posted By muffineater
thank you serebii close if you like

I think I'll help you by redirecting you to a place where your suggestions are welcome.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=21493

Please be carefull what you post next time, ok?

muffineater
7th March 2006, 11:53 PM
thank you as well crazedyanma it was merely an over sight on my part

RaZoR LeAf
8th March 2006, 12:10 AM
That's like saying "you can find out what happens in the anime by watching it". The reason for episode guides is that people may not get the show, or prefer to read the guides without watching it. For people who don't have instruction booklets, it's a useful feature. Not to mention one single page on the entire website would be difficult or bandwidth consuming.

Locke Yggdrasill
8th March 2006, 12:16 AM
Joe, if you're that freaking worried about space, I'll just host it. ._.;

Serebii
8th March 2006, 12:21 AM
I'm not, I just cant be arsed to make it at this point in time, got shed loads on my plate until end of may

Fiery Blaziken
8th March 2006, 12:45 AM
You have just insulted all newbs from now and forever more.
lol

It can't be that hard to make one, can it? I mean, I can probably make one on Excel or something in like 5 minutes. ._.

Fox
8th March 2006, 12:51 AM
That's like saying "you can find out what happens in the anime by watching it". The reason for episode guides is that people may not get the show, or prefer to read the guides without watching it. For people who don't have instruction booklets, it's a useful feature. Not to mention one single page on the entire website would be difficult or bandwidth consuming.
Well, IMO, its easier to just look at the instruction booklet anyway... Also, each game (unless you get it used) has a type chart so yeah o.o;

Fiery Blaziken
8th March 2006, 12:58 AM
Well, IMO, its easier to just look at the instruction booklet anyway... Also, each game (unless you get it used) has a type chart so yeah o.o;
Some people might not have the instruction bookets though, either from losing them or getting a used game.

Eszett
8th March 2006, 12:59 AM
Perhaps adding the chart for each generation considering it has changed for each generation (indicating which types are physical and special and the altered resistances on the charts)? I think that would be two charts, one for R/B/Y and one for G/S/C and beyond, and it would be nothing that the server can't handle.

Locke Yggdrasill
8th March 2006, 1:14 AM
Crazedyamna, I was referring to newbs to pokemon. :P

Crazedyanma
8th March 2006, 1:54 AM
lolCare to further explain instead of putting a simple-minded lol? -_-

Fine Locke Yggdrasill, fine. It just sounded different from that; is all.

And just for the record, I helped the new guy unlike most of you. :o

muffineater
8th March 2006, 1:56 AM
i am not a newb to pokemon only this site as much as i hate the term.
thanks for the help tho i was just making a suggestion for the site for new people with a used game or lost their manual

PLANES CURE TOWERS
8th March 2006, 3:08 AM
Care to further explain instead of putting a simple-minded lol? -_-

Fine Locke Yggdrasill, fine. It just sounded different from that; is all.

And just for the record, I helped the new guy unlike most of you. :o
Get off your high horse and stop being a moron. ;/

While there is one in the booklet, it still eludes me as to why a pokemon site doesn't have it in the standard content. There have been a few instances where I've needed it myself, and because of the fact I can't be bothered to look for my booklet/can't fine it/etcetera, it should come as second nature that the "#1 unnofficial pokemon site" has one amongst the rest of the content.

Just sayin'.

-Josh

blueguy
8th March 2006, 3:16 AM
I think that it makes perfect sense that a pokémon site should have this chart. It's useful information. And not all of the type advantages are common sense... and there are, what, 17 types. That's a lot to memorize. -_-

Erus Black Mage
8th March 2006, 3:27 AM
if you are too lazt to go to another site and look at it for yourself you are a ******* who needs to be shot

Angeling
8th March 2006, 4:00 AM
I think that it makes perfect sense that a pokémon site should have this chart. It's useful information. And not all of the type advantages are common sense... and there are, what, 17 types. That's a lot to memorize. -_-
Yet there are also guidebooks to buy that has them, along with the manuals that everyone else has been mentioning...

if you are too lazt to go to another site and look at it for yourself you are a ******* who needs to be shot
Now, now, no need to be insulting anyone if they were suggesting something like that chart for the site, and turns out "useless" as some may think.

It may not exactly be common sense to know the types advantages and disadvantages, but there are a lot of other resources for them besides the Internet. It may be easier for some to look in SPP.net or some to look offline like guides, manuals, etc.

Ethereal
8th March 2006, 5:56 AM
Someone doesn't read the announcements concerning language on the forums. Good job. http://serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

That is a good question, though. I've always kinda wanted to have this kinda chart on the main site. It wouldn't use THAT much space on the site, Joe. It would take up less space than those pictures that show what a damn attack looks like. Your reasoning that the chart comes with the manual is pretty pointless is pretty odd...seeing as how you include the aforementioned pointless attack pictures, which one could just see, since they come in the game. :o!

Infinity
8th March 2006, 7:03 AM
To have a white backgrounded type chart would take at max 100-200 KB (probably about 50 KB at a decent size) and you could even host it on something like Imageshack so it takes only a few bytes.

Fluorescent Adolescent
8th March 2006, 5:57 PM
As for this whole "look at the instruction booklet" statement, that's pretty ridiculous really. I mean I've thrown all mine away and lost the others so then what should I do? Well I could check the supposed "#1 Unofficial pokemon site" to find.......that it's not there :o!!! Pretty shameful methinks.

I'd also like to add about the change in move effectiveness during the evolution of the pokemon games over the years. For example:
In RBY, poison moves used to be super effective against bug moves yet in GSC, they changed to neutral (meaning the move isn't eithe super effective or not very effective).
Another example is that Bug moves in RBY used to be neutral against ghost pokemon yet now in both GSC they are not very effective.
One final example is that ghost moves in RBY could not effect psychic pokemon at all. Now however, in both GSC and R/S/E/FR/LG, they are super effective against them.

How did I know that? I didn't off by heart. Should I have had the need to check up on all 3 instruction manuals to see such differences? No. Hey I don't even possess those anymore. How did I find out? NetBattle. Sure I have it but not all budding pokemon battlers and those who have the game have NB, and those who play retro can always see what moves should be best to use whils playing the game. Hell I still play GSC and if I start getting back to playing RBY and Pokemon Stadium, at least I can have a fair chance at winning with such a Battle Chart (providing I didn't have NB).

Those in similar circumstances would benefit for a short amount of bandwidth. Besides, even if it were to help a really small amount of people, it would still be helping those and that's what matters and should be produced on such a "#1 Unofficial pokemon site".

A little help goes a long way ;D

Bulk
8th March 2006, 5:59 PM
Don't see why it shouldn’t be done. Joe, bandwidth isn’t an issue but if you don't have time, delegate it to someone else. They are thousands of people on this site who'd give anything to make a simply chart and then be recognised on the main site for it.

Moonlight.
8th March 2006, 6:10 PM
Lol. The manuals don't even have the type chart. Well, the Sapphire one doesn't (the only one I can find), so it's not like there's a type chart already available to everyone.

I'm for the RBY and GSC-onwards idea.

RaZoR LeAf
8th March 2006, 7:43 PM

You can go to another site for episode guides. Yo can go to another site for game help. You can go to another site for News of upcoming games. If everybody went to other sites, Serebii.net wouldn't be #1, and that's the whole point of having a type chart on the site.

Lol. The manuals don't even have the type chart. Well, the Sapphire one doesn't (the only one I can find), so it's not like there's a type chart already available to everyone.

I'm for the RBY and GSC-onwards idea.

There's a type chart in the Red/Blue booklets, I remember that much, but it reflects the ideas not he programming and says that Ghost is Super Effective against Psychic, and Fire resists Ice (both incorrect). There's no type chart in the FR/LG booklet either.

Fluorescent Adolescent
8th March 2006, 8:06 PM
There's a type chart in the Red/Blue booklets, I remember that much, but it reflects the ideas not he programming and says that Ghost is Super Effective against Psychic, and Fire resists Ice (both incorrect). There's no type chart in the FR/LG booklet either.

Even more reason to have it then. I'd also like to point out that I don't know of any other sites that present such a battle chart, except for GameFAQs. But the one on there is hardly presentable and is not coloured, thus making it hard to distinguish between was is super effective/not very effective/not effective at all against certain types. Hell not even smogon has such a battlechart (iirc) which should be there for the newbie pokemon squad builders/competitive players. The battle chart would actually bring, although minor, a bit of uniqueness to the site :x

Orion-Sama
8th March 2006, 8:29 PM
ONLY the RBY Booklets have the Type Chart. The one in RB has the "ideal", as RaZoR LeAf said. The Yellow one implemented the "glitches", such as Psychic being unaffected by Ghost, and Bug being strong against Poison.

The GSC, RSE/FRLG/Colosseum/XD Manuals don't have ANY Type Chart whasoever (Can't remember if the Stadiums do, but they probably don't.). You can only find them in Guide Books or Sites...

So... um... put one? Beginners will have a hard time, despite the game being 99% Monotypes...

RaZoR LeAf
8th March 2006, 9:19 PM
It'd be useful to have a short explanation of how to work out effectiveness or attacks against duel types too.

Crazedyanma
8th March 2006, 11:20 PM
Get off your high horse and stop being a moron. ;/You shouldn't be talking since you act like a moron at least half the time. :p

PLANES CURE TOWERS
8th March 2006, 11:33 PM
You shouldn't be talking since you act like a moron at least half the time. :p
;o; I AM SO OFFENDED RIGHT NOW.

It'd be useful to have a short explanation of how to work out effectiveness or attacks against duel types too
Agreed, and, looking at his post earlier in the thread, I'd say Ryan would be a good candidate for which to write it, tbh.

-Josh

Fox
9th March 2006, 6:09 AM
My apologies for the instruction booklet thing. I thought they were still in there. Oh well. I'm sure if someone is willing to take the time to write one, Joe'll post up a game mechanics page along with a type chart on it.

zuloon
10th March 2006, 4:42 AM
Well, it's obvious Serebii's not going to make one, so why don't you lazies just look for one on another site.

Zora
10th March 2006, 6:07 AM
Well with a lot of work, you can make one with Text (O's, X's, and ='s). But it would be very hard to do, and you will most likely need Dreamweaver or something like that.

TyraniRay
10th March 2006, 10:44 AM
Fire Red and Leaf Green have one inbuilt to that help thingy you know.

Personally, I can't believe it's that hard to learn the type chart, but if you can't there are many other sites.

RaZoR LeAf
10th March 2006, 12:46 PM
Well, it's obvious Serebii's not going to make one, so why don't you lazies just look for one on another site.

You're completely missing the point. If everyone goes looking on another site for one thing, they'll loook there for other things too. Next thing you know, that site is the #1 Unofficial Pokemon Site, and Serebii is just another pokemon site. If you want to be the best you shouldn't be saying "Oh go somewhere else, I don't think it's important enough to go on the site"

zuloon
10th March 2006, 6:24 PM
You're completely missing the point. If everyone goes looking on another site for one thing, they'll loook there for other things too. Next thing you know, that site is the #1 Unofficial Pokemon Site, and Serebii is just another pokemon site. If you want to be the best you shouldn't be saying "Oh go somewhere else, I don't think it's important enough to go on the site"
I know that already. It's just so obvious that there's no point arguing, why even argue? (Maybe Serebii has changed his mind after being stubborn in the past, but I wouldn't know.)

And while we're on the subject of things driving people away from this site, Serebii movesets are really bad. So now I get all my movesets from www.smogon.com. You might want to consider redoing them or having community members coming up with them. Possibly we could have something like wikipedia.

Serebii
10th March 2006, 7:04 PM
Actually for the last 7 or so months we have been having an expert do them and they are as good as if not better than the smogon ones

Once we've got through all the Pokemon we will redo the bad ones :)

zuloon
10th March 2006, 7:32 PM
Actually for the last 7 or so months we have been having an expert do them and they are as good as if not better than the smogon ones

Once we've got through all the Pokemon we will redo the bad ones :)
Oh, okay good. Just out of curiousity, who did them before?

Paperfairy
10th March 2006, 9:34 PM

LOL! XD Good one Joe.... That really made my day. XD

Either way, I've made charts for each generation, seeing as how you're all lazy as f*** ....

http://h1.ripway.com/YVD/adv.PNG - Used for both GSC and RSE.

http://h1.ripway.com/YVD/rby.PNG - Used for RBY.

Eszett
10th March 2006, 10:18 PM
Hmm...Paperfairy, from my perspective the charts look clean enough, but it would help to signify which types are special and which are physical.

And Joe, you could easily use a <table> tag to create a low-bandwidth chart for the site if a small image doesn't suit your fancy.

Paperfairy
10th March 2006, 11:06 PM
Images edited, have fun peeps.

Eszett
10th March 2006, 11:20 PM
One issue, though...Poison was special and Dragon was physical in R/B/Y. D:

Other than that, looking good.

POKErUsAm
10th March 2006, 11:26 PM
its a good qustion,but if you play the game thogh you find out all type advantages and disadvantages.its very simple to me,and im sure many others!:)

muffineater
10th March 2006, 11:31 PM
thanks much paper fairy those charts will help me alot. 289 type combos is a bit much to committ to menmory for me at the current time. i am very surprised that so many of you have similar opinions about this mater.
now that they are here (the charts) couldn't serebii just copy paste them onto the main site in game mechanics or attackdex. Although I know that joe is very busy. sorry to make this headache for you serebii.

on fire red i checked my help menu there are no charts or anything like this.

RaZoR LeAf
11th March 2006, 12:21 AM
Sorry but blocks of colour like that aren't good enough enough. It means you have to keep checking what each colour means. Simple symbols like an X, O and Tick Symbol (Which I can't do, but I know you can get one through various dingbat fonts), for No Effect, Not Very Effective and Super Effective respectfully.

You've also left Steel and Dark in the RBY Chart. Also the following problems:
Bug does normal damage against Ghost, as Bug attacks read as Super Effective against the Gengar family
Dragon vs Dragon is meaningless as there's only 1 Dragon attack and it does a set amount of damage (Dragon Rage, 40 HP)
Ground does normal damage against Grass, as Ground attcks read Super Effective against duel Grass/Poison types.

I would of course, check everything on a game before hand.

zuloon
11th March 2006, 12:21 AM
Paper Fairy, that looks good, but it's a little blinding.
I personally like this one:
http://pokedream.com/games/shared/battlechart/index.php

Locke Yggdrasill
11th March 2006, 12:23 AM
RaZoR LeAf, Steel and Dark weren't types in the R/B/Y era. D:

Zora
11th March 2006, 12:25 AM
You've also left Steel and Dark in the RBY Chart. Also the following problems:

Last time I checked RBY lacked Steel and Dark.

Sorry, I only look at the left side.

muffineater
11th March 2006, 12:31 AM
magnemite is steel

Momoko Lover
11th March 2006, 12:34 AM
I think RaZoR LeAf meant that Paperfairy left the types in the chart. Dark, and Steel are still at the top of the RBY chart.

muffineater
11th March 2006, 12:46 AM
ok i see what your talking about. but there are not any steel attacks or dark attacks in ryb

ArrEmmDee
11th March 2006, 1:22 AM

Give 'em a bit more credit than that, will you? ;)

Paperfairy
13th March 2006, 2:59 AM
I've read all the recomendations you've made, and I shall implement them all tomorrow morning. I just moved, and my room is a 100% mess. o_o

BTW, my name is as seen in my name, NOT Paper fairy, or paper fairy or paperfairy. ._.

Rufinito18
13th March 2006, 5:15 AM
Your chart is very good. Maybe just make it less blinding . Just use darker colors.<
thats my opinion

The Organizer
21st March 2006, 9:35 PM
Its not on the site because, many of the people on the forums and vistors have memorized the types and there weaknesses and im no exception. That chart would be of no help to most of us.

XanderWolf
21st March 2006, 9:46 PM
There are always new people who don't know all of the type weaknesses and resistances. Just because a lot of us have them memorized doesn't mean it wouldn't help the site.

A lot of us have memorized various things about the games, yet there's still guides on the site telling us about them. Just because some of know about it doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.

A type chart is one of the most basic things in Pokemon, and frankly, I think it's a bit stupid not to have it on the site. Especially one that claims to be the "#1 source of all things Pokemon".