PDA

View Full Version : Account Pruning

Dawg 2005
9th March 2006, 3:58 PM
What's the point? Let's say someone can't get on for some odd reason for let's say, three months, and they're excited to come back.

And thier account, has pruned.

What I'm saying, is that if someone posts let's say, 10,000 times, and they have a long absence, they come back to see the account isn't there(to be logged onto) and have to start from scratch.

Now I don't know if there's some sort of fusing accounts thing here, but all I'm saying is that there shouldn't be account pruning. O_O

Twitch
9th March 2006, 4:08 PM
;227; True. But there are people who register to SPAM, and who make duplicates to be called upon on a later date. When they get banned, there's no need for that account anymore, and the duplicates are destroyed after 3 months of inactivity. I guess it's just to lower bandwidth and stuff. If accounts weren't pruned there would be at least 500 more "registered members".

Also, it's highly unlikely that anyone would be absent for that long. I'm not saying it's completely impossible, but just very unlikely.

Dawg 2005
9th March 2006, 4:10 PM
Some people at the other forum I go to(PC), I've seen people gone for a year.

And I'm not talking about being banned and pruned. I'm sayin' like just pruned.

RaZoR LeAf
9th March 2006, 4:13 PM
Posts aren't everything. There's nothing post counts will give you, other than a little picture under your name. If you have 10,000 posts, then people know who you are. You come back after a 3 month absence, and it doesn't matter if you're a Beginner Trainer, your reputation still stands.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
9th March 2006, 11:15 PM
I think prunings a good idea. There are some members here that haven't posted in 7 months, yet their account still stands. Who, you ask? *points at location*

Serebii
9th March 2006, 11:18 PM
Just because they havent posted does not mean they havent been active

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
9th March 2006, 11:38 PM
Is pruning automatic? Or does Serebii just click the "prune" button wherever it is?

in response to your response, that doesn't explain how an admin who joined in Jan. 2004 has a post count of 20.

Angeling
9th March 2006, 11:46 PM
in response to your response, that doesn't explain how an admin who joined in Jan. 2004 has a post count of 20.
They don't HAVE to post to be active or to do modding activity. The admins can see their modding activity too.

But account pruning just cleans up things on those who haven't visited SPPf forever. I think it does take bandwidth, but whichever, I support it.. or whatever.

hi 5
9th March 2006, 11:50 PM
Who's that? I think it should be pruned because If your not active for 3 MONTHS then likely you moved/changed forums/lost internet/etc.

Chris
9th March 2006, 11:59 PM
I'd like to point out that no one but myself has a post count over 10,000. :P

The point is not to have so many inactive members cluttering up the forum. Especially if they have names other people may want to use but can't because someone inactive is using it.

Fox
10th March 2006, 12:04 AM
I'd like to point out that no one but myself has a post count over 10,000. :P

The point is not to have so many inactive members cluttering up the forum. Especially if they have names other people may want to use but can't because someone inactive is using it.
Yeah, but most of your posts are SPAMtastic 8D

the following is not in response to Ed :p
If any such member of the mod team were to be removed for 3 months of inactivity, I would've been removed in early 2004 due to both my computers dying in the same week...

That mean its my fault? No
That mean I won't return? No

I'd also point out, as it was already, that post count =/= activity. Judging things by post count is just the dumbest thing to do. That's like saying "I've lived longer than you so I'm better than you"

Token
10th March 2006, 12:06 AM
Just wondering, what is the time limit to being inactive? cause I hadn't posted for a good six months a while back. (grounded. yes for six months. I flipped off the vice principal.)

Chris
10th March 2006, 12:07 AM
Yeah, but most of your posts are SPAMtastic 8D
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tsukento/objection.gif
Where is your evidence, Mr. Fox? ;\

I'd also point out, as it was already, that post count =/= activity. Judging things by post count is just the dumbest thing to do. That's like saying "I've lived longer than you so I'm better than you"
Indeed. Regular members who are inactive (meaning they do not visit the forum or they do not log back into the forum) are basically taking up unwanted space. Especially if all you've done was post once or twice and never even came back to the forum.

zuloon
10th March 2006, 5:35 AM
Account pruning keeps the database free from junk, thus making this forum run faster.
And who really cares about posts? (Besides you Edward)

P.S.: Do you even have a life? (just playing)

MondoTR
10th March 2006, 6:02 AM
Just wondering, what is the time limit to being inactive? cause I hadn't posted for a good six months a while back.
It's not determined by post but by how long you've been gone from the forum. And I'm not quite sure of the limit since it's different everytime I ask Joe.

I'd like to point out that no one but myself has a post count over 10,000.
I would if I had my old account. :p

Wolf Goddess
11th March 2006, 1:36 AM
Besides, you end of having ALOT of people register who post maybe twice and then quit coming entirely. If they want to come back, just make a new account. It's not a big deal.

intergalactic platypus
11th March 2006, 4:36 AM
I was gone from late August to late November and I wasn't pruned. That was 4 months

MondoTR
11th March 2006, 4:41 AM
I was gone from late August to late November and I wasn't pruned. That was 4 monthsThat's three, not four (August-September, September-October, October-November).

I was pruned but I don't remember how long I was gone before it happened.

intergalactic platypus
11th March 2006, 4:50 AM
Sorry...I'm rather math challenged. Yes, but I was in danger of being pruned. I'm glad I wasn't cause i didn't wanna start over

Raito
11th March 2006, 5:34 AM
I think it is needed to save room on the boards and etc. Besides, if you do get pruned, make another account like WG said.

Shigaiko
11th March 2006, 9:26 AM
Some people at the other forum I go to(PC), I've seen people gone for a year.
You know something? I've been in many, many, many arguments there, and every single time, somewhere along the line, the sentence 'PC is not SPPf' came up. And I'm going to reiterate that here.

PC is not SPPf. SPPf is far more active, both post-wise and member-wise. However, Joe doesn't have the resources to fork out hundreds of dollars to upgrade the server when it lags. So, he uses his head and prunes old members/posts to prevent the site slowing down because of them. (And I must say, if PC did the same, their server wouldn't be anywhere near as laggy as it is.)

Look at the member count on the forum index. These are all people who have visited in the last 45 days. If the server has enough problems coping with that, how do you think it'd survive with members who haven't visited since January 2004?

I rest my case.