PDA

View Full Version : What I Did for Love! (444)

Pages : [1] 2

Serebii
9th March 2006, 6:33 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/444.jpgDecisive Game! May VS Brock!

It's time for the Aberia Town Pokémon Contest and May is eager to take part and obtain her 4th Kanto Ribbon. However, when Brock and Brock's Bonsly are complimented by a female co-ordinator, Brock decides to enter the contest aswell. It winds up being a battle of Brock's Marshtomp VS May's Eevee...who will win?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/444.shtml)

Discuss

MaskedManAbsolkid
9th March 2006, 6:34 PM
Glad to see May win. I mean, what would Brock do with the ribbon except for showing it off?

Torkoal Stu
9th March 2006, 6:46 PM
Glad to see May win. I mean, what would Brock do with the ribbon except for showing it off?
Give it to May and then May can finally have a pity Ribbon and make Ash feel better and less in denial about his few Kanto 'pity Badges'.

Or at best give him some character development or battle experience or something DX.

Hmmm I heard Marshtomp used Protect and Eevee used Dig, in my opinion it would be better the other way around x.x;

MaskedManAbsolkid
9th March 2006, 6:49 PM
Nah, it's good the way it is. Protect is decent, Dig suits Eevee.

ChaosMage
9th March 2006, 6:59 PM
I'd love to see Marshtomp use Bide for some reason.

CyberCubed
9th March 2006, 7:55 PM
So Eevee took down Marshtompt eh? I'm curious to know if the battle came right down to the wire at the end, with a near even amount of points, or if Eevee totally fainted Marshtompt with a Shadow Ball and Dig frenzy.

I hope May cheered Brock up at the end after his loss though, it's unlike her to see her friends unhappy.

Also, what happened between Brock and the breeder girl? Did she leave him at the end? (Heh, why am I asking something I already know the answer to?)

Gryphon Turboclaw
9th March 2006, 8:03 PM
Something I've been curious about this whole time...did Brock get overconfident from the complimenting he received from that lady? If so, then this episode has something that's been *long* overdue...Brock finally getting cocky, then getting crushed as a result of it(which means that Ash and May are no longer alone in that department)!

Bow chicka bow bow. (Goes into "Cuban Pete" mode and begins awaiting the day that Misty gets well and truly *whalloped* by Ash in a battle, with no prize for second place this time!)

Marshtomp using Protect gets another "About time!" from me, given that it's one of Marshie's *natural* moves. I can certainly see how a Dig/Shadow Ball Eevee would cause major problems for the mud fish, especially if Brock got overreliant on Protect, of which the effectiveness breaks down over consecutive usage.

I wonder how Brock's would-be girlfriend took the sight of his collapse? I presume that it wasn't pretty(go back to Lucy, dude, and give Ash and May your cookbooks).

Sharpshooter
9th March 2006, 9:12 PM
How predictable was that? Anybody would have been a fool to bet on Brock winning this as the only other scenario would have been for him to give it to her if he had won (which would have been worse).

On a positive note, in terms of pokémon I'm glad Eevee wins. It's one of my favourite and for the fact it beats good pokémon enhances it's reputation animé-wise.

How many ribbons is that now she's got? (I haven't been very up to date recently :P)

EDIT: Sorry I read that now at the top of the thread. Ok I'm blind.

Kabuto
9th March 2006, 9:26 PM
I officially hate everything about May except her appearance and kick a** Combusken now. Shame really, but shes too uber for my taste.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th March 2006, 9:30 PM
I like her Munchlax though.
-----------------------------
So, any Squirtle-uberness? I hope Eevee and Marstomp has a equal battle.

Kabuto
9th March 2006, 9:33 PM
Yeah Munchlax is pretty cool but its still pretty much a carbon copy of Ash's Snorlax.

JazzJazz
9th March 2006, 9:37 PM
So Eevee took down Marshtompt eh? I'm curious to know if the battle came right down to the wire at the end, with a near even amount of points, or if Eevee totally fainted Marshtompt with a Shadow Ball and Dig frenzy.

I'd say it probably came down to the wire... I'm sure that the writers aren't so cruel as to have May totally crush Brock in a landslide victory, that'd be plain evil.

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th March 2006, 9:43 PM
Yeah Munchlax is pretty cool but its still pretty much a carbon copy of Ash's Snorlax.

What? I think Munchlax is way differnt then Ash's Snorlax, it's hyperactive. Also, it has different battling styles (Snorlax is body slamming and ice punch while Munchlax is solar beams and metronomes.)

Was Haruka's Theme in this episode, like as a ending?

ghost master
9th March 2006, 9:45 PM
According to bmgf Bonsly uses faint attack. Anyway it seemed obvious Brock would lose but I hope its a close battle. I also hope Eevee doesnt just use dig and shadow ball the entire time. Dig is a cool new move to learn though. I remember everyone saying how bland it is so I'm glad the writers are picking its more unique moves. Also marshtomp learning protect to me doesnt make much of a difference it hardly ever appears so it doenst matter much.

Gravy
9th March 2006, 9:59 PM
Shame really, but shes too uber for my taste.
...she's uber for defeating a Marshtomp with almost zero battle experience? Gwah? ?_?

And isn't 'Munchlax is cool' a bit of an oxymoron?

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th March 2006, 10:04 PM
Isn't saying "dunsparce is cool" a oxymoron as well....

Nah, I'm fooling. I like the little snake too. But some people do consider Munchlax cool.

BTW, anyone know what happened with the girl?

Alfonso
9th March 2006, 10:20 PM
BTW, anyone know what happened with the girl?

She probably just ended up waving goodbye to Brock, smiling happily while Brock walks away, crying and looking back at what could have been.

Or maybe she didn't actually do anything other than act as a plot device to get Brock in a Contest. Hmmm...

BrokenDreams
9th March 2006, 10:21 PM
Well that show how the writers favor May, making her to uber.

ghost master
9th March 2006, 10:46 PM
Well that show how the writers favor May, making her to uber. Too uber? She beat Brock, Brock has no use for a ribbon, Brock has no expierence in a contest and his pokemon have little to no expierence. Its understandable for her to beat Brock.

Rudoku
9th March 2006, 10:51 PM
This episode would've been a perfect time for Marshtomp to learn Earthquake, if you know what I mean...

The Benmeister
9th March 2006, 10:52 PM
People, people, if you're going to complain and keep calling May uber, at least WATCH WHAT HAPPENS before judging things. Brock, last time I checked, hasn't served in a major battle since forever. And, this being his first contest, I somehow doubted he would work out exactly the strategies to use. So seriously, if Brock won, wouldn't that be worse off than May winning?

JazzJazz
9th March 2006, 11:05 PM
Brock, last time I checked, hasn't served in a major battle since forever. And, this being his first contest, I somehow doubted he would work out exactly the strategies to use. So seriously, if Brock won, wouldn't that be worse off than May winning?

Still, Brock's experience is solid and he has a longer battle history than May, his skills would still be intact and sharp... or at least they should've been.

CyberCubed
9th March 2006, 11:07 PM
Oh boo-hoo, poor Marshtompt got beaten by an Eevee. Who cares?

What battles has Mudkip been in in AG? What battles has Marshtompt been in in AG? Of the few times it actually battled, when has that thing actually won?

Anyone can see the clear difference between the other starters like Grovyle and Combusken and then poor little Marshtompt. It was never a strong Pokemon to begin with, and the only reason it was on the damn show was because the writers wanted all 3 starters with the main characters.

Since Brock doesn't have a real quest like Ash/May, his Mudkip/Marshtompt did next to nothing while Grovyle/Sceptile and Combusken just kept getting stronger and stronger.

As for this actual contest, I would *hope* an experienced coordinator who has competed in 11 Contests prior as well as a Grand Festival to put up a good fight against someone who has entered a Contest for the first time.

As long as Brock put up a great fight before going down, that's good enough. You also have to realize that Brock had to take down some other opponents before he got to the finals with May, so that should count for something.

ghost master
9th March 2006, 11:10 PM
Still, Marshtomp's experience isn't solid and he has an almost nonexistant battle history, it's skills arent intact and sharp..... it at least should've had training. Just fixed that.

S.Suikun
9th March 2006, 11:36 PM
Although Marshtomp has not gotten much battling experience, which makes it less humiliating than Squirtle vs. Ariados (which I assume did have training), you still have to take into account that the Eevee just hatched about 10 episodes ago. That said, although I wouldn't have liked to see Brock win (that'd be even more humiliating), May should have used a different Pokemon. Maybe called Bulbasaur from Oak's (Since Combusken had its time in the light against Wakana, and the others have gotten their fair exposure).

PDL
9th March 2006, 11:41 PM
Just fixed that.

thank you, because misspelling Marshstomp repeatedly was getting annoying :p

anyway, ho-hum, what a predictable outcome.

at least Eevee's decent and had a good reason to win. It did manage to train to learn shadow ball, rather then just pulling it out of it's furry tuckus. Like Squirtle's Ice Beam.

The Big Al
9th March 2006, 11:55 PM
I'm not too surprised by this. Eevee has been busting it's butt and Marshtomp has sat on his for the past three years. Oy Vey, Brock needs to leave now. I think Tracey did more with his Pokemon than Brock.

PDL
9th March 2006, 11:57 PM
I think Tracey did more with his Pokemon than Brock.

Tracey had pokemon?

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th March 2006, 11:59 PM
Marill, Venonat, and Scyther.
Mariru, Conpan, and Strike.
--------------------

I miss Venonat, so cool....

PDL
10th March 2006, 12:02 AM
Marill, Venonat, and Scyther.
Mariru, Conpan, and Strike.
--------------------

I miss Venonat, so cool....

I know that :p

it's just that they've done even less then Brock's pokemon during their time in the limelight...

Marill only heard stuff with it's keen hearing
Venonat just located pokemon based on it's eyesight
and Scyther had the scuffle with Charizard in that one filler...

Geodude
10th March 2006, 12:04 AM
you still have to take into account that the Eevee just hatched about 10 episodes ago.
It. Has. Been. Training.

What part of that don't people understand?

Heracross
10th March 2006, 12:13 AM
Attack of the babies!

Feh, seriously though, Eievui winning a match is fine with me since it actually has done some legitimate training. I was about to say that maybe the writers learn from their mistakes, but then I laughed at myself.

CyberCubed
10th March 2006, 12:13 AM
Tracey had pokemon?

Lol, that got me to laugh. :D

Apparently his Marril has been busy making love however, as shown by it's offspring Azurill that Misty is taking care of.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th March 2006, 12:18 AM
One question remains: Who's the father?

I think Marril was Bonsly version beta. A new Pokemon that premiered in an earlier movie and then joined the cast. And did nothing.

CyberCubed
10th March 2006, 4:47 AM
Good news Brock fans!

Brock battles an Absol with Marshtompt, and Brock kicks the crap out of it! He got one impressive win in this episode at least.

Also, the battle between Eevee and Marshtomp was *extremely* close. Brock put up an excellent fight throughout the entire battle, but when the timer ran out, May had more points so she won.

All in all Brock fans should be pleased. And Eevee isn't uber while battling either, so it's win/win!

Shadowcat
10th March 2006, 4:49 AM
Protect? Seriously, Bide, I like.

Now... Marshtomp hasn't been in battle for a LONG time, so naturally, Eevee, who had training off-screen/whatever it's called, would fair much better.

At the choice of moves Eevee has been learning, I predict an Umbreon. If evolution was to happen...

Kabuto
10th March 2006, 4:55 AM
People say Marshtomp had no experience but apparently it was strong enough to evolve and has been around since beginning of Hoenn. Unlike the little Eevee who has just hatched and got a two second training under its belt learning shadow ball. I just wish that if May won Brock used his Bonsly instead.

HoennMaster
10th March 2006, 5:17 AM
According to bmgf Bonsly uses faint attack. Anyway it seemed obvious Brock would lose but I hope its a close battle. I also hope Eevee doesnt just use dig and shadow ball the entire time. Dig is a cool new move to learn though. I remember everyone saying how bland it is so I'm glad the writers are picking its more unique moves. Also marshtomp learning protect to me doesnt make much of a difference it hardly ever appears so it doenst matter much.

I'm sure the writers threw in a quick attack or Tackle here and there. And seriously people, what made you think Brock winning would happen!

V Faction
10th March 2006, 5:20 AM
How humiliating for Marshtomp. Why couldn't Bonsly have had its cry-baby *** handed to it while lazy, good-for-nothing Marshtomp just stood in the background as always.

Damn it, I want May's Pokemon to have some limitations! Where's that timid Bulbasaur that grew into a fierce fighter? Where's the scaredy Torchic that evolved into a badass Combusken? **** this "Power in Youth" thing she has going.

I'm just as peeved at Brock's Pokemon. Let's have Bonsly learn a lesson or two while old n' moldly Marshtomp woo's the crowd with only 3 friggin' attacks (works for Squirtle!!!). For kicks, let's give Marshtomp Iron Tail and Bonsly Double Team!

Man, I can't wait to see Ash get his butt kicked at the Battle Tower.

S.Suikun
10th March 2006, 5:21 AM
It. Has. Been. Training.

What part of that don't people understand?
I realize that, but it is still a relatively small timeframe, especially when considering that even though Marshtomp was seriously out of shape, May also had other coordinators to face. That is, unless they were also out of shape. Eh...it still doesn't bug me nearly as much as the Saffron conference, though that's maybe because I like her Eevee so much better.

XD @ Lilian grabbing Brock's ear and pulling him away from the Joy judge.
XD again @ Jessie disguised as a beatnik.

I know everyone was impressed with the thick-line animation back in mid-Hoenn, but is anybody else getting a little sick of it now? Maybe it's just not impressive anymore.

Kabuto
10th March 2006, 5:38 AM
Man, I can't wait to see Ash get his butt kicked at the Battle Tower.

See thats where its wrong. Ash has the good team and has to lose to Anabel (though its understandable) while May strolls along on her jolly little path only losing once to Harley using the pokemon I actually like. May better take another loss and this time Eevee and Squirtle need a huge beating.

V Faction
10th March 2006, 5:46 AM
It all depends on who they choose for both Ash's and Anabel's team. Sure, by now, after so many battles and nearly as many Psychic Pokemon battles, you'd think there wouldn't be a problem. But they can always pull something out of their asses.

That's why I try to steer clear from that medium. Seeing Ash get a loss at least proves they aren't afraid to do it (about damn time though). I like that whole "Main Character has to struggle" problem. Pokemon needs more of that, so that's why I tend to focus (for now at least) on the concept of losing.

Geodude
10th March 2006, 5:51 AM
Unlike the little Eevee who has just hatched and got a two second training under its belt learning shadow ball.
Wrong. It has been doing serious training offscreen for the past several episodes. How many more times am I going to have to say this?

Ever occur to you that there might be things in the dialogue that you don't know about? The offscreen training has been talked about for some time now.

.Bambi.
10th March 2006, 6:01 AM
Well, can I say this wasn't expected?

At least Brock put up a good fight and Eevee didn't totally destroy him. Eevee learned Dig? That's a little...unfitting. Dig is such a dirty move while Eevee should be...prim and clean.

I was WAITING for one of the Main Group's Pokemon to learn Protect. And finally it happens to a Brock Pokemon >.>

Haven't seen pics or the episode in motion yet, so I'll probably post when I see the mentioned things.

Geodude
10th March 2006, 6:08 AM
Marshtomp is an unsurprising choice to learn Protect though, since it learns it naturally anyway.

And Ash's Snorlax knows Protect, but you probably meant those in the main team.

CyberCubed
10th March 2006, 6:13 AM
You have to admit, this scene is adorable:

http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag167/382.jpg

May = winnar!

I'm really starting to warm up to Eevee, sitting on May's arm like that makes it look so cute!

Sunain
10th March 2006, 6:17 AM
This is now on my 'most hated' episodes list, though it is a Brock shippers dream episode.

Why AG167 is on my most hated episode list (http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8076/ag167winner6im.jpg)

There is NO way Takeshi should have lost to Haruka. His Numakuroo is more experienced then Haruka Eevee. Blah! GRR!

/me is too upset to post anymore!

CyberCubed
10th March 2006, 6:19 AM
Aw c'mon now, didn't we just discuss the whole Marshtomp sucking and Eevee doing offscreen training thing? :(

RaikousThunder
10th March 2006, 6:33 AM
I saw pics of this ep on Filb.de and i have to say it looks awesome, despite Brock losing. He did very well i think. I wanted him to win but i didnt expect him to. When i saw Marshtomp kicking butt though i was like oo maybe he'll win. What was with Brock's appeal with Bonsly? I couldnt really get it from the pics. What was Bonsly doing and did it use any new attacks? Also what were those blue orb things Marshtomp shot out, please tell me thats not its Mud Shot attack, seems like Muddy Water. Eevee is so darn cute. I think its cool they gave it Dig and Shadow Ball. It was funny knocking Ash over in the beginning. I hope it gets Quick Attack, just for a normal Eevee move. I liked seeing Raticate and Absol being owned by a trainer is cool. Squirtle appealing again, bleh. It does the same thing everytime, Bubble and Ice Beam combo. Kinda boring me now. The darn thing should evolve seeing how much May uses it, but thats for another time. All in all it was a cool ep. I hope a guide for it comes soon.

Torkoal Stu
10th March 2006, 6:50 AM
Seen pictures:

* The group's reaction to Brock entering = LOL. Priceless moment.
* A Raticate, ooooh it had a nice appeal with some wood.
* An Arbok and Manetric cameo!
* During his appeal Brock noticed the Nurse Joy Judge and he fell in love then Vivian came and pulled him by the ear XD!
* Brock used Baseballs I think in his appeal, it was pretty nice I guess, a change from the usual appeals we get from Harley, May and Drew.
* Marshtomp kicked Absol's ***, but we didn't see May's first battle x.x;
* And technically Marshtomp didn't lose, it just a few points less than Eevee D:

At the end though TR were doing something, anyone know?

But Brock falling in love during his appeal was so LOL.

.Bambi.
10th March 2006, 8:02 AM
Marshtomp is an unsurprising choice to learn Protect though, since it learns it naturally anyway.

And Ash's Snorlax knows Protect, but you probably meant those in the main team.
You got it.

What I was refering to was that Corphish, Torkoal, and Glalie all learn Protect naturally as well, so what stopped them from learning it? Especially Glalie, as it has no protecting move while Torkoal has Iron Defense and Corphish has Harden.

vaporeon89
10th March 2006, 8:04 AM
I couldn't get a pic, but in the trainer screen in the contest you can see the Surskit and Azurill owners in the Izabe contest

;134;89

Fizban
10th March 2006, 8:38 AM
Yeah, I'm starting to feel bad for that guy. His hopes and dreams are being crushed in Kanto.

One of the coordinators had a Koffind. I would have killed to see that thing get in a decent battle/appeal.

Serebii
10th March 2006, 10:23 AM
People, please do not discuss future episodes in this thread...I don't like having to remind you all of this each week. These threads are for discussion of this episode ONLY unless a prior episode actually links in with it

Dreamcoat
10th March 2006, 11:10 AM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Dreamcoat/AG444.jpg

^Anyone knows exactly what they are doing?

The Big Al
10th March 2006, 11:29 AM
People say Marshtomp had no experience but apparently it was strong enough to evolve and has been around since beginning of Hoenn. Unlike the little Eevee who has just hatched and got a two second training under its belt learning shadow ball. I just wish that if May won Brock used his Bonsly instead.
Though Eevee has been exposed to the idea of contests. Remember Harley's revenge when Eevee watched? And the fact it wasn't a knock out and the timer actually got to run out this time softened the blow. I'm sorry but she deserved this one.

Russian May
10th March 2006, 12:08 PM
I've just seen the pictures and I liked this episode. It's good that Eevee didn't totally defeat Marshtomp and the moment about Brock falling in love was really funny!

Kuroshi
10th March 2006, 12:13 PM
* A Raticate, ooooh it had a nice appeal with some wood.

Quoted because it was too good not to.

Ontopic, this episode was not the train-wreck I expected. Eevee learning dig was no surprize, appeals or battles, it needs at least three moves. (And i'm assuming it can Tackle) What did surprize me was Brock's showing, his appeal was downright great, it even had May on edge. Marshtomp's battles were impressive especially the one with Eevee I was actually engrossed in the battle when the timer went off Brock can't have lost that much of his battle prowess, to give a seasoned coordinator a run for her money.

It seems the reason the lady wanted Brock to enter the contest was to Beat the little girl, or give her a challenge or something along those lines.

Team Rocket was selling fake contest ribbons, and other merchendise, and by the end of the episode when it seems that they made a hefty sum of money, and Jessie was cheering about becoming Top Coordinator. So i'm assuming the money will go towards her next contest.

swift arrow
10th March 2006, 12:21 PM
I think I'm really starting to like eevee, it hung in the battle pretty well, but then squirtle did the appeal again. I was glad to hear absol was in a battle but it seemed a bit weak in the fight which is sa. I knew May would win but still it was a great episode.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th March 2006, 12:22 PM
TR=Dressing as Hippies! WIN!

YAY! Raticate (but it's appeal was kinda lame....)

Protect looks cool.

Geodude
10th March 2006, 1:07 PM
Eevee learning dig was no surprize, appeals or battles, it needs at least three moves. (And i'm assuming it can Tackle)
Correct.

Eevee: Shadow Ball, Dig, Tackle

Marshtomp: Water Gun, Mud Shot, Tackle, Protect

John's Knight
10th March 2006, 1:11 PM
Well, just saw the pics...
I agree with the "brock shouldn't win, because he will only have that ribbon, and may needs it" idea. Still, i think that Marshtomp fought pretty well, for a pokemon who doesn't have experience.
Other than that...8/10.

DKzM0mA
10th March 2006, 1:47 PM
Some people are tlaking as if Marshtomp has no battle experience at all (O_o)

So the blue sphere's that were launched by Marstomp were infact Mudshot..?

Gravy
10th March 2006, 2:06 PM
Some people are tlaking as if Marshtomp has no battle experience at all (O_o)
Well apart from a single battle against Grovyle, he doesn't. Unless you're willing to count it's battle against Hanson's Shedinja, which never came to any sort of conclusion.

Almighty Zard
10th March 2006, 2:22 PM
Well apart from a single battle against Grovyle, he doesn't. Unless you're willing to count it's battle against Hanson's Shedinja, which never came to any sort of conclusion.

yeah a battle in which it got back up and evolved after taking a leaf blade(which going by all of your logics should've ko'ed him instantly.) that kinda proves he ain't that far off from combusken, now since Grovyle evolved he left him in the dust.

Gravy
10th March 2006, 2:46 PM
yeah a battle in which it got back up and evolved after taking a leaf blade(which going by all of your logics should've ko'ed him instantly.) that kinda proves he ain't that far off from combusken, now since Grovyle evolved he left him in the dust.
It was more of a sparring match anyway. I doubt Grovyle was putting it's all into that attack like it usually tends to, considering it was going up against such a weak opponent. Mudkip wasn't performing particulary well from what we saw, so for all we know Grovyle could have just been toying with it.

And one battle hardly puts it in the same league as Combusken. Nor does an evolution, which more often than not doesn't always indicate a pokémon's strength in the show anyway.

Porygandrew
10th March 2006, 3:02 PM
Wow, a Team Rocket outfit that didn't just stop at formal-wear and glasses. It seems to be that the crazier outfits team rocket disguises themselves in is inversely proportional to Ash & Co.s recognition of TR. The less recognizable TR gets, the more they are recognized. :P

Eh, for Brock's loss it makes him look really bad (though I think he's my favorite character), but for the series to not drag on it was inevitable. And as most people have said, "What would Brock do with one ribbon anyways?"

Geki
10th March 2006, 4:47 PM
Pretty good contest, not what I was expecting at all though. Forretress didn't get much screentime, which sucks. Marshtomp and Bonsly were cool. Brock should have won, but we all know that May has way more experience as a Coordinator, thus she pwned Brock.

6/10

V Faction
10th March 2006, 5:02 PM
I'm suddenly reminded of Krabby. It did practically nothing its entire life. Ends up kicking some Exeggutor palm tree butt and evolving on the spot.

So nah, I think they just wanted May to win. Why, oh why, couldn't they have gone with a Bonsly vs. Eevee match.

PDL
10th March 2006, 5:50 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Dreamcoat/AG444.jpg

^Anyone knows exactly what they are doing?

looks like they're calculating their earnings...

OMG, Team Rocket actually succeeded in something for once!

ChaosMage
10th March 2006, 5:57 PM
This episode does look pretty good. Some great avatar moments too. And Marshtomp proved its worth, so I'm glad. But Absol should have done more, and Eevee's first battle should have had more to it.

GreenKirby
10th March 2006, 5:59 PM
http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag167/182.jpg

Priceless. Just Priceless.

The first contest in Kanto that wasn't decided by KO.

The Benmeister
10th March 2006, 6:04 PM
Pretty decent episode judging by the pictures. I'm suprised Brock got so far on his first contest but hey, the episode wouldn't have any point if he didn't. Too bad Foretress fails to do something decent, I'll live though.

What's this? Team Rocket not failing for once? Although they could lose it all like they did in the Johto league...meh.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
10th March 2006, 6:17 PM
This episode was so funny XD And it made me laugh LOL

10/10

DANdotW
10th March 2006, 7:01 PM
Right, seen pics... Protect had good animations, but I think the two overall best points of animation were the scene with the groups reaction to Brock entering the contest, and the other is the scene with Brock and Bonsly making angry faces together.

Question Time: Right, I saw Water Gun, I saw Mudshot, but what was the small blue energy balls shot. Please tell me that wasn't Mudshot, because I thought that was when all mud was splashing everywhere.

Hunter

CyberCubed
10th March 2006, 7:12 PM
This episode rocked, plain and simple.

Team Rocket were pretty much written out of the whole episode, so they didn't take much screentime away from the battles.

Loved the girl with Raticate and Absol, two Pokemon we needed to see again anyway. It's also nice to know that Absol isn't a "semi-legendary" anymore like the writers promoted it in the 6th movie.

Brock really shined in this episode. His appeal was fantastic and hilarious! :D The Marshtomp battle against Absol was pretty good, but it was obvious that that was a young/infant Absol by the way it looked.

Heh, May and Brock looked pretty nervous when they went up against one another. :D

The Eevee and Marshtomp fight had me on the edge of my seat, and if I wasn't already spoiled the victor, it could have went either way. Thank you writers for giving Eevee a good moveset so it isn't stale like we were fearing! Shadow Ball and Dig work well with one another, and this Eevee *definitely* isn't a snore to watch.

May winning by having slightly more points than Brock was good as well, as Brock was shown to be a competent battler AS WELL as his Marshtomp getting good screentime.

Oh, and LOL @ Lilian pulling Brock away by the ear from the Nurse Joy judge. :D

Question for the Japanese speaking people:

What exactly was the connection with the woman and the little girl? Was she her mother or something? Brock seemed quite shocked about something, so I'm guessing she was already married?

PDL
10th March 2006, 7:46 PM
What exactly was the connection with the woman and the little girl? Was she her mother or something? Brock seemed quite shocked about something, so I'm guessing she was already married?

Sisters most likely...

ŁańkaŃ
10th March 2006, 8:35 PM
http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag167/218.jpg Note: Sorry if i'm not allowed to put the picture

if u look at the first person on the top left...we've seen his face in other battles i dunno if it was a contest or the pokemon league...but he has made appearence

unless this is his twin bro...lol

anyway..i'm sad that Eevee had to win against Marshtomp, it was obvious may would win, but i was hoping it would be against Bonsly...but oh well

Bonsly was good
Eevee yea sure why not, just can't believe that Eevee used Dig in the beginning out of NO WHERE, like it seemed to have use it after it saw Raticate...oh well
Squirtle same kind concept, but hey oh well...
Marshtomp was good glad to see protect as it is a learnign move that it actually learns

Fizban
10th March 2006, 8:51 PM
like it seemed to have use it after it saw Raticate...oh wellActually, it was using Dig before the girl showed up. It was amusing how long it took the gang to realize that Eevee popping out from underground was unusual.

Kabuto
10th March 2006, 9:20 PM
I hope Marshtomp evolves soon. I'd hate to see it booted off before it we see him with Swampert and it puts that little furball back in its place. Eevee may have been trained and Marshtomp was hardly touched. But still you can't tell me a pokemon that was around that early can lose to a newborn.

BrokenDreams
10th March 2006, 9:31 PM
It was so close, mybe if there had been more time Marshtomp could have destroyed Evee.

JazzJazz
10th March 2006, 9:32 PM
I hope Marshtomp evolves soon. I'd hate to see it booted off before it we see him with Swampert and it puts that little furball back in its place. Eevee may have been trained and Marshtomp was hardly touched. But still you can't tell me a pokemon that was around that early can lose to a newborn.

The proof is in the pudding, eevee won. Sure, in the "real" world marshtomp should've won... but the writers are evil and twisted, we all know this so we shouldn't be surprised.

jolteonjak
10th March 2006, 9:41 PM
Surprised there are no complaints about Eevee magically learning Dig to win...

Gravy
10th March 2006, 9:43 PM
I don't see the big deal about it being a 'newborn' anyway. From what the animé has led us to believe, pokémon tend to develop very quickly after they evolve from their egg. I mean, just look at Phanpy and Larvitar. At best it was only a mere handful of hours until they were fully able to utilise their attacks. Larvitar completely destroyed Team Rocket with an uber Hidden Power iirc. And look at Bonsly and Munchlax. I doubt they're all that old, yet they seemed to be fending for themselves pretty effectively.
And when you compare that to Eevee, it's really not as bad as what people are making it out to be. It's only real questionable attack is Shadow Ball, and it's been established that it's gone through training to use the move. All Dig is, is a feint attack from underground. TOTALLY UBAR YES?!?!

Seriously. I love Marshtomp. I can barely tolerate Eevee. And I'm fine with the battle.
What, are people bored of complaining about Squirtle or something?

Kabuto
10th March 2006, 9:46 PM
Seriously I actually think

Squirtle = Eevee

Why? Sure Eevee trained more but still.....

A. They both just hatched.

B. They both took down fairly experienced pokemon. You don't know that Ariados was any better/worse than Mashtomp anyway.

C. They both pulled a last minute move out of their a**

Gravy
10th March 2006, 9:54 PM

B. They both took down fairly experienced pokemon. You don't know that Ariados was any better/worse than Mashtomp anyway.

I already explained the whole newborn hatching thing, so I won't repeat myself.

Harley is a freaking coordinator. Meaning, he has to actually put some effort into training his pokémon in order to make any sort of progress. Therefore it's safe to assume that his Ariados had been through some sort of training.
Brock on the other hand, sits around brushing and feeding his team all day. And the only pokémon he has that even stood any sort of chance was a Marshtomp that's only ever been used for stupid little tasks.

Again, Dig isn't anything to get flustered about. Again, all it is, is a feint attack from underground. Again, there's hardly anything jaw-droppingly uber about that. FFS, Brock even screws up the whole Dig strategy anyway, so why the **** is it a problem?

Kabuto
10th March 2006, 9:58 PM
No one has to agree with my statements but they are factual. Most of you are followers by going by what the most popular users think and copying their idea not expressing you own ideas.

Therefore it's safe to assume that his Ariados had been through some sort of training.
Brock on the other hand, sits around brushing and feeding his team all day.

Brushing and feeding actually helps a pokemon alot. And Harley could've just captured that Ariados. Hes not that good of a coordinator apparently since he didn't beat May once before that. You all think Brock is terrible but hes not that bad. The Mudkip stood up to Ash's Taillow and Corphish, his Grovyle, and TR on many occassions.

Again, Dig isn't anything to get flustered about. Again, all it is, is a feint attack from underground. There's hardly anything jaw-droppingly uber about that. FFS, Brock even screws up the whole Dig strategy anyway, so why the **** is it a problem?

Ok and ice beam isn't a big deal either. Squirtle is a water type for crying out loud. Actually......Squirtle > Eevee. Go ahead flame me I can care less.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th March 2006, 10:02 PM
Did anyone notice TR were selling something with Drew on it. They were also selling like pins of their Pokemon (including Chimecho and....Marstomp??)

Gravy
10th March 2006, 10:12 PM
No one has to agree with my statements but they are factual. Most of you are followers by going by what the most popular users think and copying their idea not expressing you own ideas.
Excuse me? I have my own opinions, thank you very much.

Brushing and feeding actually helps a pokemon alot. And Harley could've just captured that Ariados. Hes not that good of a coordinator apparently since he didn't beat May once before that. You all think Brock is terrible but hes not that bad. The Mudkip stood up to Ash's Taillow and Corphish, his Grovyle, and TR on many occassions.
Brushing and feeding is hardly as beneficial as taking the time to help a pokémon perfect it's battling skills. That should be pretty obvious.

Harley is a decent coordinator, because he's already succeeded in multiple Contests and was one of the finallists in the Grand Festival. The only reason he lost prior to te more recent contest is because he let overconfidence or blind hatred get in his way. And obviously, he was able to overcome that.

Brock is intellegent, and therefore a decent strategist and knows how to raise pokémon to be healthy. But if he hasn't got a pokémon that has actually been trained to fight in some way, then he's at a disadvantage because the glass is only half full.
I already pointed the flaws in the whole 'Mudkip survived a Leaf Blade' thing earlier. And Taillow and Corphish were hardly the skilled fighters they are now way back in the days of early AG.

Ok and ice beam isn't a big deal either. Squirtle is a water type for crying out loud. Actually......Squirtle > Eevee. Go ahead flame me I can care less.
Yes it is. Squirtle was a starter pokémon, and therefore was supposed to be bred in a way that helps the trainer develop. It's Ice Beam attack was used as a stupid deus ex machina for a last minute win, with a drawdback that was only ever brought up at that point and ditched the very next moment it used the move.
Dig on the other hand, whilst causing problems for Marshtomp, was overcome during the battle and rendered useless.

Kabuto
10th March 2006, 10:17 PM
Excuse me? I have my own opinions, thank you very much.

I actually wasn't referring to you but I'm the only one making a stand here.

And Taillow and Corphish were hardly the skilled fighters they are now way back in the days of early AG.

Neither was the unevolved Mudkip

Other than that you make good points. I still think Harley recently caught that Ariados since it wasn't used in the GF. And I still hate that Eevee even from the instant it was hatched.

The Benmeister
10th March 2006, 10:18 PM
This seems more like a stereotypical situation in which because Squirtle is uber, that obviously when May gets another Pokemon that wins first time then it is classified as an uber.

Heracross
10th March 2006, 10:35 PM
Eh? I really don't see what you mean, since some of the most vocal Zenigane haters have no problem with Eievui winning a contest. Myself included.

day_macca
10th March 2006, 10:38 PM
Did anyone notice TR were selling something with Drew on it. They were also selling like pins of their Pokemon (including Chimecho and....Marstomp??)

Yeah, they also had pictures of jessie in one of her contests (i think it was ariados vs squirtle)

CyberCubed
10th March 2006, 10:41 PM
It's probably no more than 2 months old though. :p

I think May's Eevee is cute.

http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag167/382.jpg

Again, awwwwwwww.

Dreamcoat
10th March 2006, 10:48 PM
Marshtomp has almost zero battle experience (only fought 1/2 times) and Eevee has, if I'm not much mistaken, been in more battles than Marshtomp.

Kabuto
10th March 2006, 10:51 PM
Do I have to make note that Mashtomp may be far behind Sceptile and Combusken but still has a fair share of battle experience yet again? Fought half the times a Eevee? If I'm not mistaken this is Eevee's first real battle. Why couldn't Eevee lose to Harley and Munchlax take the win against Brock >_>. I never really liked contests anyway but I don't like Brock getting sucked into it and losing even though he is shafted by the writers.

day_macca
10th March 2006, 10:54 PM
This episode was pretty good actully. I thought it wouldn't. Bring on the next surprise

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
10th March 2006, 11:25 PM
Seizureman, I really don't see the validity in your argument >_> This isn't like the Dusclops/Skitty match or the Ariados/Squirtle match. Eevee won in a fair, believable way, and Marshtomp did an excellent job of fighting while the timer was still going. This match should pretty much please everyone except the few people who thought Brock would win.
Bias against Eevee isn't enough to fuel an argument, BTW. I'm not all that fond of Eevee in general, but I can't deny May's Eevee did well here.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Kabuto
10th March 2006, 11:28 PM
No one even mentioned Skitty vs. Houndoom. Anyway, while Eevee is better than Squirtle (you've convinced me) its still a n00bie that needs more time to sharpen its skills. Even Treecko didn't win the first battle it was in when it got plummeted by Seviper who falls to almost anything now. Even SCEPTILE lost to Seviper and cacnea and a pack of Beedrill.

Dreamcoat
10th March 2006, 11:31 PM
Seizureman, I really don't see the validity in your argument >_> This isn't like the Dusclops/Skitty match or the Ariados/Squirtle match. Eevee won in a fair, believable way, and Marshtomp did an excellent job of fighting while the timer was still going. This match should pretty much please everyone except the few people who thought Brock would win.
Bias against Eevee isn't enough to fuel an argument, BTW. I'm not all that fond of Eevee in general, but I can't deny May's Eevee did well here.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion
Indeed she/he did and it is nice to finally see one of May's Kanto PKMN fight a decent battle without any über powerful moves like her Squirtle, unfortunately, does most of the time it participates in a contest.

Kabuto
10th March 2006, 11:33 PM
Theres no convincing you thick headed people that Eevee is a plain newb. And yes it did learn a cheap move even though it didn't win with it.

Kabuto
11th March 2006, 1:49 AM
Wow, I laugh at your n00bishness. First off, I'm the only one complaining. Secondly, anime is not equal to games. Brock doesn't have a level 14 onix and your a moron for thinking that. Ash has a better team than May so its good if he wins legit.

Alfonso
11th March 2006, 1:58 AM
I don't get you people, May wins legitimately, everyone complains, Ash wins illegitmately (which happens ALL THE DAMN TIME), it's "AWESOME!"

True, true.

seriously people, Brock sucks, the only bull**** here is the fact that he actually put up a fight, same goes for that same battle against Ash, the writers *****d out to HIM, not May, have any of you even played the games? even in the Stadium R-2s he sucked, not to mention as everyone pointed out, Marshstomp has absolutely NO battle experience!

All that sounds a lot like character bashing to me. Feel free to continue if you want a warning. :) Also, filling your posts with needless and random swearing does not make you 'cool' and it doesn't make your post look more intelligent. An intelligent person can get their point across without SCREAMING down other people's throats.

Games =/= Anime. :/

Brock put up a good fight against an experience coordinator. I for one feel that we should be pleased... while May defeated him, his experience with Pokemon matched her experience in Contests.

Jo-Jo
11th March 2006, 2:04 AM
For anyone who feels Brock was hard done by: compare his performance in this episode with May's in Win, Lose or Drew. Considering that this was the first time he'd ever entered a contest, he did extremely well. May didn't KO Marshtomp; we can't even say for sure that she was winning the battle. The deduction of points in contest matches are determined by how good the Pokemon look while battling, not by how much health they have left. May has more experience than Brock with getting her Pokemon to perform attacks in an aesthetically pleasing manner, so the fact that she still just barely beat Brock in that department paints him in a most favourable light. I daresay that in a normal battle, not a contest one, Brock could very well have won.

V Faction
11th March 2006, 2:06 AM
Is there anything in Pokemon that isn't a plot device?

PDL
11th March 2006, 2:09 AM
Brock may have lost, but at least both sides managed to do their best effort and gave a soild fight in the end.

you know, it's rather odd, when news came out that May will receive an Eevee egg, I was prepared for the absolute worst, in that it'll be spotlight hogging and uber-powerful... now that I've seen it in action, I can see that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...

...I might even begin to like this Eevee...

CyberCubed
11th March 2006, 2:19 AM
Is there anything in Pokemon that isn't a plot device?

You're talking about Dig?

Anyway, glad to see *most* people here accept this episode, and that Brock and May both really shined. It's more than I can say about people on other forums, where all they do is b*tch and complain about how Brock should have won, how May needs to leave the series, and how this episode was horrible. -_-

Anyway I don't know if I said this before, but I really love Eevee's moveset of Dig and Shadowball. It really is fun to watch, and it's a lot better than the boring moveset that Gary's Eevee had. (Tackle/Quick Attack/Reflect/whatever)

This episode also proved that Brock can still hold his own in battle. His strategy of making Absol slip on the floor was extremely well done, I see this guy hasn't lost his Rock-type Gym leader touch. Brock was in tip-top form in this episode, too bad we probably won't see him in a serious battle again for like...the next 100 episodes...assuming he's even in the next region.

The Great Butler
11th March 2006, 2:22 AM
I'll just make one logical statement.

If Brock were meant to win this Contest, Harley wouldn't have won the earlier contest.

Jo-Jo
11th March 2006, 2:29 AM
Anyway, glad to see *most* people here accept this episode, and that Brock and May both really shined. It's more than I can say about people on other forums, where all they do is b*tch and complain about how Brock should have won, how May needs to leave the series, and how this episode was horrible. -_-
I hope you aren't talking about Bulbagarden, since there has been far less complaining about Brock's loss/Eevee/the contest in general there than there has been on this thread.

You know, it's funny how many of May's final opponents in the Kanto contests have been old characters. Harley twice and now Brock - the only new ones have been the Salaryman and Wakana. It's strange, as in Hoenn the writers came up with a new person for her to face every time: Drew, Grace, Timmy, Savannah, Kelly, Harley, Erika. It'll be interesting to see who she goes up against for her fifth ribbon. I have a feeling she might end up facing Drew. Though looking at my track record for predicting Drew's appearances in Kanto, I should probably keep my mouth shut. XD

PDL
11th March 2006, 2:33 AM
You know, it's funny how many of May's final opponents in the Kanto contests have been old characters. Harley twice and now Brock - the only new ones have been the Salaryman and Wakana. It's strange, as in Hoenn the writers came up with a new person for her to face every time: Drew, Grace, Timmy, Savannah, Kelly, Harley, Erika. It'll be interesting to see who she goes up against for her fifth ribbon. I have a feeling she might end up facing Drew. Though looking at my track record for predicting Drew's appearances in Kanto, I should probably keep my mouth shut. XD

they're probably avoiding the mistake of introducing character after character every episode and then leaving without a trace, dropping of the face of the earth, like nearly every filler character in Kanto, Orange Islands and Jotho.

CyberCubed
11th March 2006, 2:40 AM
That's probably true, especially since you're wondering why none of these other coordinators made it to the Grand Festival?

Surely at least some of May's other opponents besides Drew/Harley are capable of getting 5 ribbons yes?

I remember being really disappointed when the Hoenn GF first came out, and that neither Kelly nor the Phantom were there. I really wanted to see more coordinators return than the main two, and it really is a shame that none of these other great characters manage to get 5 ribbons in time.

I'm kind of hoping Wakana returns for the GF as well, but judging by the fact that she doesn't even have a single ribbon yet, I doubt it. :/

Jo-Jo
11th March 2006, 2:40 AM
they're probably avoiding the mistake of introducing character after character every episode and then leaving without a trace, dropping of the face of the earth, like nearly every filler character in Kanto, Orange Islands and Jotho.
The co-ordinators of the day were all good characters, though, IMO. And they didn't all drop off the face of the Earth - Drew, Harley and Robert all put in showings at the Grand Festival, and the others got cameos watching it on TV. They even sent May letters of support; she tells Caroline that they all keep in touch with regular e-mails, cards, and so forth. Besides, Pokemon is based upon the gang travelling around and meeting lots of people. It's often the personality of the CotD that makes or breaks an episode.

I remember being really disappointed when the Hoenn GF first came out, and that neither Kelly nor the Phantom were there. I really wanted to see more coordinators return than the main two, and it really is a shame that none of these other great characters manage to get 5 ribbons in time.
Well, Kelly and the Phantom not being there made sense as they both had permanent homes in Lilicove/Verdanturf. Without being able to travel, they probably wouldn't have been able to get to enough contests to earn five ribbons.

I was very disappointed Grace didn't make it, though. She already had three ribbons back in Pros and Con Artists, are we really supposed to believe she couldn't manage another two before the GF? She didn't get a mention in the scene where May reads her letters, either. Perhaps the writers forgot about her. :/

V Faction
11th March 2006, 2:41 AM
You're talking about Dig?
Contest points, actually. But it got me thinking... anything can be made to be a plot device.

A boat! "Aww, we missed the boat to the next Gym!"

A girl! "I'll fight for this random girl I just met!"

An evil organization! "Grr! We are bad. We do bad things. Fear us!"

And many, many other things.

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th March 2006, 2:43 AM
Okay....what about underwear, is that a plot point?

But, I actually like Pokemon's predictablilty, it makes it relaxing to watch.

V Faction
11th March 2006, 2:46 AM
Okay....what about underwear, is that a plot point?

"Hi honey, you forgot to pack your underwear, so I thought I'd bring some to you. Oh, is this the Hoenn League? Wow. This place is so big and wonderful!"

"Mom!"

The Great Butler
11th March 2006, 2:49 AM
Responding to the earlier post about the Coordinators of the Day: Timmy/Phantom was a great character. If any one of the CotD's deserved to be in the Grand Festival, he'd be my pick. It would also be a nice way of showing how his mother changed after the inital Phantom Coordinator arc.

blazemxx
11th March 2006, 2:50 AM
There's no point in brock winning a ribbon. its better that may wins because
brock will waste his time with it. it would be nice for a change though seeing that there will be a different winner at a contest aside from yourtypical may and harley...

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th March 2006, 2:53 AM
"Hi honey, you forgot to pack your underwear, so I thought I'd bring some to you. Oh, is this the Hoenn League? Wow. This place is so big and wonderful!"

"Mom!"

That was a test, man V, your so witty its scary!;munchlax;

Salaryman needs to come back, coolest name ever.

Homme d'affaires!

PDL
11th March 2006, 2:53 AM
The co-ordinators of the day were all good characters, though, IMO. And they didn't all drop off the face of the Earth - Drew, Harley and Robert all put in showings at the Grand Festival, and the others got cameos watching it on TV. They even sent May letters of support; she tells Caroline that they all keep in touch with regular e-mails, cards, and so forth. Besides, Pokemon is based upon the gang travelling around and meeting lots of people. It's often the personality of the CotD that makes or breaks an episode.

well, I was thinking more about early trainers such as A.J and Giselle and other early Kanto CotD, we hear as much about them as we do about Ash's Pidgeot and Primeape.

At least the writers and animators make an attempt to not go that path and hear from them once in a while.

I guess coordinators are more sociable then pokemon trainers...

Jo-Jo
11th March 2006, 2:55 AM
anything can be made to be a plot device.
Hmmmm.....

"Gee, I'm tired. Maybe I'll stop and fish for a while... I can leave my bike here, standing conveniently in the road, not tied to anything."

"You're sitting on my rocks, young man." (god that one sounds wrong.)

"I know, let's attack the Viridian Pokemon Centre while an overpowered Pikachu happens to be recuperating inside it."

"Egad! Another Beedrill swarm!"

Wow, Pokemon really is amazingly contrived.

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th March 2006, 2:58 AM
And contrivency makes it fun to watch. I'm glad I'm not in constant suspense wondering if someone will die or make it alive out of the Mirror Dome.

"Lets blast off Bonsly and Manene, while a Bonsly and Manene show is in town!"

Jo-Jo
11th March 2006, 3:00 AM
I guess arguably without a degree of contrivance, there could be no such thing as a plot. Something has to kickstart the action.

ArrEmmDee
11th March 2006, 3:07 AM
If Brock had won, there would have been that much more dragging on of either May having to win that many more contests and now having Brock as a really goofy rival, or she'd be given a sympathy ribbon.

And I have a feeling you'd all be complaining that much more. *sigh*

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th March 2006, 3:12 AM
Goofy! Brock may have had funny moments, but he was a serious competitor! Marshtomp was so tough looking.

Theres no Salaryman Avatar? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Gravy
11th March 2006, 3:12 AM
Meh, I didn't like this episode that much. And oddly enough, I'm really not sure why. Perhaps it was the pacing? Eevee's screeching drilling into my skull? The fact that arguing about Marshtomp/Eevee has left me to just not care? Who knows.
However, for what it's worth, I did enjoy the final battle between Eevee and Marshtomp. But in the end, its another one for the list of 'important episodes that I don't give a Shelgon about'

I just want to know when they're going to fix this shot (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/ddddddd.jpg). They use it every freaking contest episode/every time she battles, usually at least 2 or 3 times, so they must've noticed it by now.
"What a f*****g liberty!"

Rudoku
11th March 2006, 3:38 AM
If Brock had won, there would have been that much more dragging on of either May having to win that many more contests and now having Brock as a really goofy rival, or she'd be given a sympathy ribbon.

And I have a feeling you'd all be complaining that much more. *sigh*
You act like they don't have time to waste. This whole saga is a time-waster until D/P go gold. I still say that Numakero should've learned Earthquake in this episode.

V Faction
11th March 2006, 3:38 AM
Just finished watching the episode.

It's... scary how much I enjoyed it. I'll never forget Brock's appeal face as long as I live. Also, could someone tell me the exact spots where Bonsly used Faint Attack and Flail?

The Marshtomp vs Eevee fight was intense (I bold to show how intense it was!). Brock is a beast when it comes to fighting. So it irks me to see Eevee with so few appeal points after being thwarted on many attempts in the beginning of the battle. Eevee can also move hella fast underground. As in, 'poof' fast.

*Points* "Shado Barru!"

That got old. =P

Correct me here if I'm mistaken, but the Raticate/Absol Coordinator and Deus Ex beauty girl were related?

CyberCubed
11th March 2006, 3:39 AM
You act like they don't have time to waste. This whole saga is a time-waster until D/P go gold. I still say that Numakero should've learned Earthquake in this episode.

They don't have time to waste. The writers had to have Ash beat 7 Brains and May get 5 ribbons, as well as a Grand Festival, in under a year. That's why we're speeding along.

This saga was created to bridge Hoenn and D/P yes, but it's just as important as the events in Hoenn.

Heracross
11th March 2006, 3:47 AM
I dunno, didn't Nintendo say that they hadn't even started working on D/P when the Lucario movie came out? If that's true then they have plenty of time.

Geodude
11th March 2006, 3:53 AM
Correct me here if I'm mistaken, but the Raticate/Absol Coordinator and Deus Ex beauty girl were related?
We think so, but we're waiting on confirmation from someone with better Japanese knowledge.

Gravy
11th March 2006, 3:54 AM
Also, could someone tell me the exact spots where Bonsly used Faint Attack and Flail?

It used Flail when it was juggling those baseballs. I didn't hear him command Faint Attack at any point however.

Geodude
11th March 2006, 3:58 AM
During that whole baseball thing, I couldn't help but think of the Stantler episode way back in Johto. Remember when that little Stantler was falling, and Brock ran and dove to catch it, and said in the dub, "Good thing I was in Little League"? And now this with the baseballs... I'd love to know more about Brock's past.

ArrEmmDee
11th March 2006, 4:03 AM

I'm entirely apathetic to how long this saga will take, really. I'm just saying that the forum as a whole seems to be deadset about complaining about May's actions no matter what it is. And I agree about the Earthquake thing, considering it's one of his ever-elusive battle appearances and he actually went about it rather fiercely, so they should have capitalized upon the situation before waiting another 50 episodes, as it probably very well will be.

Sceptile Warrior
11th March 2006, 4:30 AM
How did May's evee win with only shadow ball and dig attack that makes no sense

CyberCubed
11th March 2006, 4:32 AM
How did May's evee win with only shadow ball and dig attack that makes no sense

Maybe if you watched the episode, or at least looked at the pictures, it did make sense.

Whine, whine, b*tch, b*tch, yadda yadda. When even I'm getting bored of defending May and her Pokemon, you know something is overdone.

Almighty Zard
11th March 2006, 5:23 AM
this just is just my opinion but that girl with the raticate and Absol reminds me of Chickorita everytime i look at her.

Her hair is green, just like the leaf.
She has reddish eyes, It does too,
and she's wearing a pale yellow shirt, same color as chickorita's skin, are the writers baseing people off pokemon now.

Yamato-san
11th March 2006, 8:27 AM
I don't know what relationship Yuma had with Mika, since she doesn't seem to refer to her as a daughter, sister, or student at any point, and Mika, likewise, never addresses her, let alone by a title (and their relationship never seemed to be apparent until the last minute). However, I get the feeling that Yuma might be Mika's teacher. If I got my dialogue right, Yuma used to be a coordinator and even won the Grand Festival. After the contest, I think Yuma said that Takeshi's a wonderful coordinator and there'd be nothing for her to teach him shortly before addressing the fact that this was Mika's first contest. With such dialogue in mind, it could be assumed Yuma's spending her time mentoring coordinators such as Mika (she's also a Pokemon breeder... something tells me she's in the same boat as Takeshi, who's an aspiring breeder but spends his time mentoring the younger characters). That also explains why she left him despite earlier, when she invited Takeshi to tag along with her. However, I think she contradicts herself, since at one point, she replied to Satoshi when asked if she plans to take Takeshi with her whether he won or lost the contest, to which her answer was yes, commenting that there're several things to learn in both coordinating and breeding. My translations could be off, of course.

Anyway, the Numacraw versus Eievui fight really wasn't half bad. As was mentioned before, the fact that it ended on a time-out (and it's about f***in' time a Kantou contest battle ended that way) made it less a kick the balls that Haruka won with a newborn, even if Eievui was highly trained over the past few episodes and Numacraw, in spite of evolution, is lacking in any experience. Though, the fact that Eievui took several hits against Numacraw at the beginning but kept going bugged the living hell out of me, it was a good fight nontheless. And I'm not going to complain about Eievui's suddenly learning Dig (hell, not only is it trained, but as I mentioned somewhere before, it could conceivably inherit such techniques given its origins on an egg farm with an unknown ancestry, unlike a certain starter), but I am unnerved by the fact that they've made Eievui more capable as it is. They better not keep this thing unevolved, dammit.

Kojirou's using that same salesman voice as he used in the recent Harley episode. I love that voice XD. Speaking of Rocket Dan, it looks like this episode is setting-up for the next contest, which Musashi intends to enter (and if I heard right, she intends to use her fairy costume). I will not be surprised if Musashi ends up putting up a decent fight, possibly even being Haruka's main opponent for her last ribbon.

Heracross
11th March 2006, 9:46 AM
My my, this episode sure was chock full of those old Kanto instrumentals. One almost gets the feeling that they're actually there.

<_<

In any event, this was a pretty awesome episode and it definitely lived up to my expectations and then some. Which isn't really saying much I guess, since my expectations weren't all that high after last weeks... thing.

Damn, when was the last time they made any reference to Kojirou's bottle cap collection? I think it was all the way back in the Hosos. :/ Needless to say, continuity is in short supply these days, so it's great to see some, but naturally it's even more awesome since it pertains to Kojirou.

And speaking of the Rocket-dan, their hippie costumes were hilarious. It's too bad we only got a close-up of Musashi.

And of course the main point of the episode - Takeshi actually doing something worthy of note. Better late than never I suppose. Here's hoping he participates in more contests in the future, in the very least working behind the scenes with Haruka or something. His appeal with the baseballs was pretty cool, it's just too bad he never showed any interest in baseball when Nanako was around.

His battle with Haruka was really very nicely done and believable, and I like the fact that it was ended by a time up instead of a KO. The only thing that bugged me is that they kept using the same shot over and over whenever Takeshi ordered something. :/

Oh, and Zenigame's CG ice looked like crap. Go figure.

.::Lynee::.
11th March 2006, 10:43 AM
There's just one thing I don't understand ( sorry because I just watched the important scenes ): Why can Brock join in this Contest even he ain't got a Contest Pass?

About the battle: maybe the writer wanted May to win but I'm tired of battle like this : when May almost lost -> oh she's got a plan -> she wins

Dreamcoat
11th March 2006, 11:02 AM
There's just one thing I don't understand ( sorry because I just watched the important scenes ): Why can Brock join in this Contest even he ain't got a Contest Pass?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't it said way back that it was possible to obtain a Contest Pass at every contest?

Korobooshi Kojiro
12th March 2006, 6:34 AM

About the battle: maybe the writer wanted May to win but I'm tired of battle like this : when May almost lost -> oh she's got a plan -> she wins

He did get a Contest Pass, he ran into a building in like 4 seconds and got one. lol.

Squirtle's appeal proves he's god.

And I beleive James mentioned his Bottle Caps in the second Ardan episode.

CyberCubed
12th March 2006, 6:57 AM
About the battle: maybe the writer wanted May to win but I'm tired of battle like this : when May almost lost -> oh she's got a plan -> she wins[/color]

Every main character goes through that same routine in a tough battle. I can think of a number of times Ash pulled out a come-from-behind win, in several Gym battles no less.

12th March 2006, 7:23 AM
I think letting Brock join in Contest is the way to make Pokemon BF longer. So Ash & Co. will go through many Contest Hall. ^^
I don't know how many ribbons May get in Kanto, 4 or 5

S.Suikun
12th March 2006, 7:35 AM
All right, finally saw the episode itself instead of judging simply from pictures. I have to say, I liked the Wakana match better. This one just seemed a little too standard. The Absol was wiped out within 10 seconds and Marshtomp vs. Eevee was surprisingly unexciting. It was a completely fair battle, but didn't involve any interesting strategies. On another surprising note, I found Squirtle's appeal to be the best part of the ep, not including little comedy bits like Lilian dragging Brock.

I don't know how many ribbons May get in Kanto, 4 or 5[/color]
She needs 5 and has 4.

MagicBox
12th March 2006, 8:04 AM
Don't have access to Japanese episodes, so as always, I'm basing my opinions on pictures and previous posts.

From what I've seen, this episode is excellent, and I think it's the second best contest in Kanto so far (Right behind the one with Harley's victory, of course). It mixed humor, action, and a great storyline in a way that I haven't seen since.....I don't know how long. The scene where Brock joins the contest was hilarious, especially the way he got his pass. I love how Bonsly continues to attract women for Brock; I'm honestly surprised he doesn't worship the thing. The group's reaction (http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag167/079.jpg) to Brock's entry was a riot, and it was awesome to see Forretress' (unexpected) appearence, even if it was for just a second.

I'm a little confused about Raticate's appeal, though. From the pictures, it looks like all it did was chew a branch. Surely it must have done more than that. Right?

Team Rocket's subplot bored me, but I'm thrilled that after all this time, they've finally been able to con innocent people out of their money and get away with it. I couldn't be happier. Brock's appeal was creative, Bonsly & Marshtomp rule, and Brock's flirting was actually funny this time around. He just completely forgot he was doing an appeal and ran over to hit on Nurse Joy. Hohoho, I was laughing. It was also a nice touch that the writers let the audience know that Brock was nervious about competing. If he had just gone in there and hadn't been worried about anything, something would've been seriously wrong.

But of course, this episode was really all about THE battle, and if I do say so myself, THE battle was handled perfectly. Seriously, Brock's my favorite character in the show, and I'm not the least bit disappointed that he lost. The only thing I wanted from this contest was a little redemption for Brocko, and he got it. I mean, he handled himself really well out there; I don't think anyone can deny that. He's a brilliant battler and a great strategist. The man took out an Absol, which is thought of as quite the powerhouse in the anime. That alone was all I needed to consider this episode a classic. But his battle with May really took the cake. He was dominating May for the first half of the battle, and I couldn't have asked for a better fight. May was just as good; she handled Eevee really well in that battle, and despite the lack of variety in Eevee's moveset, the battle stayed interesting all the way through. What made me the happiest was that Eevee didn't win by KO, which wouldn't have looked right, regardless of Marshtomp's experience. I'm glad that Marshtomp and Eevee were both still itching to fight when time ran out, so that we get the impression that they could've taken MUCH more before going down. Face it, Marshtomp and Eevee may not be veterans on the battlefield, but they're sure as hell not pushovers, like some people are making them out to be.

Overall, absolutely terrific episode, I have no complaints. Maybe now people won't be complaing about Brock's ability or Marshtomp's lack of battle experience anymore, because it got a BUMLOAD in this episode. Not bad for Brock's first contest, huh?

Also, while that image if May and Eevee together is nice, I think she looks cuter in this (http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag167/004.jpg) image. It's just something about her eyes in that pic that makes her look so innocent.

These (http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag167/194.jpg) must be avatars (http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag167/314.jpg). Nowz.

Long story short: May and Brock's first battle was awesome.

HoennMaster
12th March 2006, 8:05 AM
This episode sounds good. The whole absol being defeated quickly is dumb though

pikachu146
12th March 2006, 8:19 AM
This is a contest battle.May wins because she has more contest experience.Too bad Marshtomp lost.If this is a regular battle,Marshtomp might win.

Geodude
12th March 2006, 8:26 AM
He does. We saw it. He got it way back in early Hoenn, same time as May got hers.

I think one thing some of these disappointed Brock fans aren't considering enough is that this was the final battle, meaning Brock had won every other battle up to that point (including, of course, the Absol battle that we saw). Reaching the final round in his very first contest is impressive, even May was unable to do that.

This episode sounds good. The whole absol being defeated quickly is dumb though
Not at all. It apparently was its trainer's first contest, so from that it can be deduced that the Absol is also inexperienced, and probably fairly young.

12th March 2006, 11:30 AM
One more thing I don't like about this Episode is Eevee's move. Dig is cool but it ain't good enough for Eevee, a special attack for Eevee is better

Yamato-san
12th March 2006, 2:36 PM
One more thing I don't like about this Episode is Eevee's move. Dig is cool but it ain't good enough for Eevee, a special attack for Eevee is better

That's pretty stupid to suggest, considering Shadow Ball ain't exactly categorized as a "special" move.

V Faction
12th March 2006, 3:18 PM
I think one thing some of these disappointed Brock fans aren't considering enough is that this was the final battle, meaning Brock had won every other battle up to that point (including, of course, the Absol battle that we saw). Reaching the final round in his very first contest is impressive, even May was unable to do that.
How impressive should that be? Aside from the fight with Absol (which lasted about 3 seconds by the way), there was no implication of fighting other coordinators, not even a montage like in previous eps. I'm not going to get excited over that. And this is Brock and May's fight. We're expecting him to get through.

Geodude
12th March 2006, 3:36 PM
http://www.geoscreens.com/may/ag167matchups.jpg

Yes there was. There was one other match we didn't see.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
12th March 2006, 3:46 PM
Wish brock would have won though For a change

V Faction
12th March 2006, 3:50 PM
Big Image

I'm talking about those matches being animated, Geo. What did you think I meant by montage?

Also, I noticed this when watching, the guy farthest to the left is that repeat character that gets used over and over.

Geodude
12th March 2006, 3:52 PM
I know that, V, but my point was there was at least proof that there was one other battle that he would've won.

Well he's got a 2-1 win/loss record so far in contest battles, that's not bad.

Gravy
12th March 2006, 3:57 PM
When the hell are we going to see that guy's Poliwrath again?
And that other kid should learn that Azurrils are for chumps. He ain't going nowhere.

ChaosMage
12th March 2006, 4:21 PM
This episode, albeit a fantastic one, is being added to my list of episodes in the BF which just needed to be one episode longer. And the upcoming Smoochum episode is being added to the list of episodes which could have been sacrificed in order to allow these extra episodes.

Andromache
12th March 2006, 4:23 PM
Interestingly, the fact Brock lost to a baby doesn't bug me much. Maybe it's because from what I've been reading, Brock wasn't steamrolled and indeed did fabulously. I'm just glad to see Brock get some respect for once. I've been complaining a lot that being that he was a GL, he ought to be shown in a better light, and now I finally feel vindicated. If we think about it (we being Brock fans], the fact that Marshtomp had to inexplicably lose his ability mid-battle for May to have a chance says a heck of a lot, even though it's lazy writing and just plain bad form storywise. I've missed Gym Leader Brock. A lot. While I'm aware we may never see him seriously battle again, or for a very long time, I'm going to remember this as a must-see episode.

Squirtle_007
13th March 2006, 2:59 AM
Saw the episode and all I got to say is this:

*Takeshi is as "funny" as a sleeping Metapod
*Bonsly is the most awful baby that I ever seen
*Bonsly´s appeal was a copy from Haruka´s Skitty that was a copy from Ayane´s Delcatty
*I would preferred to see Combusken battling and Eevee appealing, doing what?, hey, Haruka is the co-ordinator, she has to be the creative
*However, the battle was great, Marshtomp is the only Pokémon that I like from Takeshi´s party ... but Kasumi would handle it better and Haruka´s strategy was sweet
*This episode put Pokémon in first place in anime ratings in Japan

Vix
13th March 2006, 3:08 AM
I thought Absol are not allowed in contests?

With it's negative reputation, I would not have been surprised.

Side notes: I have never seen anyone use it or move sets/strategies for it.

(I believe it's the only pokemon of the week that has no contest info)

Geodude
13th March 2006, 3:26 AM
Why the hell would Absol not be allowed (note the correct spelling) in contests? They aren't even legendary. -_-

HoennMaster
13th March 2006, 3:42 AM

whyt? what is so wrong with Eevee knowing dig?

Gravy
13th March 2006, 3:46 AM
Why the hell would Absol not be allowed (note the correct spelling) in contests? They aren't even legendary. -_-
It's probably because all the support beams in the building would mysteriously collapse.

CyberCubed
13th March 2006, 4:08 AM
http://www.geoscreens.com/may/ag167matchups.jpg

Jeez, May battles that guy AGAIN?

The first time he showed up was in the Hoenn Harley Contest. He was the guy who used Suskrit against May, and the one where Harley told May that Suskrit was super-slow.

That guy with the hat must love getting his *** handed to him by a girl, because we know May just keeps kicking his butt.

Geodude
13th March 2006, 4:45 AM
It's probably because all the support beams in the building would mysteriously collapse.
That rumor must only exist in certain areas.

13th March 2006, 6:15 AM
whyt? what is so wrong with Eevee knowing dig?

I don't say Dig's wrong with Eevee. Just that I like a special attack better

ChaosMage
13th March 2006, 7:49 PM
I don't say Dig's wrong with Eevee. Just that I like a special attack better

Your other choices for a non-generic Eevee attack? Iron Tail or Toxic. Trust me, Dig and Shadow Ball were good choices.

Brocksketchum
13th March 2006, 9:56 PM
Your other choices for a non-generic Eevee attack? Iron Tail or Toxic.

I would pick Toxic, it's so brutally evil.

All the competitors in this contest seem more newbish to me than the usual fare. Maybe the image of the Raticate biting that stick is still in my mind?

Brock still knows how to kick butt and take names. :) Now, to fix that scoring system...

skarmachild
13th March 2006, 11:07 PM
I would pick Toxic, it's so brutally evil.

All the competitors in this contest seem more newbish to me than the usual fare. Maybe the image of the Raticate biting that stick is still in my mind?

Brock still knows how to kick butt and take names. :) Now, to fix that scoring system...

He speaks the truth. Marshtomp was owning Eevee most of it, so Eevee should be out of the game before it got a chance to make it's "come back".

MagicBox
14th March 2006, 12:05 AM
*This episode put Pokémon in first place in anime ratings in JapanSeriously?

Wow, the Japanese fans must've been just as excited to see Brock doing something as we were.

Alfonso
14th March 2006, 12:11 AM
Jeez, May battles that guy AGAIN?

The first time he showed up was in the Hoenn Harley Contest. He was the guy who used Suskrit against May, and the one where Harley told May that Suskrit was super-slow.

That guy with the hat must love getting his *** handed to him by a girl, because we know May just keeps kicking his butt.

His face also appeared in another Kanto Contest screen too, along with the Azurill guy. One of the Kanto Harley episodes I think.

I guess they're following May around. o_o

CyberCubed
14th March 2006, 12:24 AM
Maybe they're closet May-fanboys. :o

Geodude
14th March 2006, 12:26 AM
Well, May isn't the only travelling coordinator, so it's at least somewhat logical.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
14th March 2006, 12:35 AM
When the hell are we going to see that guy's Poliwrath again?

As soon as possible, IMO >=0 More Poliwrath in animé says I.

Speaking of recurring filler characters, isn't the man to the right of May that guy Phantom_Bugsy likes....Caden, is it?

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

.Bambi.
14th March 2006, 1:17 AM
"Here we GO!"

Someone seriously needs to shoot Lillian in the face the next time she says that >.> She actually says that at least 3 times EVERY Contest episode. I mean, at least Vivian had some fresh material every once and a while.

God I hope 4Kids changes that sentence when they dub the Battle Frontier. "Ready, Set, GO!", "Let's BEGIN!", anything D:

On the episode itself, I rather enjoyed it. It was nice to see Brock get some decent screen time [his Pokemon as well], and the episode itself was fun to watch.

I'm really starting to like Eevee. It's wins are believable, it's attacks well taught, it's like the writers are fixing the mistakes they made with Squirtle on it. Not to mention it's adorable <3

I personally think the outcome of the battle was believable [and that's not my May bias talking]. Both May and Brock were really low on their Contest points, and no one was KOed. It was a completely fair and interesting battle in which May made more use of her time.

Brock rushing into the Contest Hall and back again with his Co-Ordinator card was hilarious. Another thing I enjoyed about this episode is that Pokemon that needed screen time got it. Raticate, Absol, Brock's Marshtomp, Squirtle *attacked by everyone on this forum* [joking!], even Manectric and Sableye make still-shot appeals.

Very well done.

Korobooshi Kojiro
14th March 2006, 2:33 AM
And a Arbok! Have we ever seen a non-Jessie Arbok in the show? I don't recall, cept the one in The Ultimate Test.

Geodude
14th March 2006, 3:53 AM
"Here we GO!"

Someone seriously needs to shoot Lillian in the face the next time she says that >.> She actually says that at least 3 times EVERY Contest episode. I mean, at least Vivian had some fresh material every once and a while.

God I hope 4Kids changes that sentence when they dub the Battle Frontier. "Ready, Set, GO!", "Let's BEGIN!", anything D:
Still, she's good at working the crowd, and she's a vast improvement looks-wise over Vivian. Vivian looked like a 50's housewife; Lillian looks young, energetic, and cool.

And a Arbok! Have we ever seen a non-Jessie Arbok in the show? I don't recall, cept the one in The Ultimate Test.
Don't think so.

HoennMaster
14th March 2006, 3:54 AM
"Here we GO!"

On the episode itself, I rather enjoyed it. It was nice to see Brock get some decent screen time [his Pokemon as well], and the episode itself was fun to watch.

I'm really starting to like Eevee. It's wins are believable, it's attacks well taught, it's like the writers are fixing the mistakes they made with Squirtle on it. Not to mention it's adorable <3

I personally think the outcome of the battle was believable [and that's not my May bias talking]. Both May and Brock were really low on their Contest points, and no one was KOed. It was a completely fair and interesting battle in which May made more use of her time.

Brock rushing into the Contest Hall and back again with his Co-Ordinator card was hilarious. Another thing I enjoyed about this episode is that Pokemon that needed screen time got it. Raticate, Absol, Brock's Marshtomp, Squirtle *attacked by everyone on this forum* [joking!], even Manectric and Sableye make still-shot appeals.

Very well done.

What does Lillian say that is so annoying?

CyberCubed
14th March 2006, 3:56 AM
Vivian looked like a 50's housewife; Lillian looks young, energetic, and cool.

LOL, of course Lilian's outfit wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? I really wonder why the animators chose to give Lilian such a skin tight outfit. Sharp contrast to Vivian maybe?

I like Lilian's engrish, "It's showtime!" and "Here we go!"

Wheeeee.

MagicBox
14th March 2006, 4:19 AM
I personally like Lilian better than Vivian, but that doesn't mean that Vivian is all bad. She was a good announcer while we had her, and personally, I thought her 50's housewife look was hot. X_x

What does Lillian say that is so annoying?.Combusken. said that in his post. -_-;

"Here we GO!"

Geodude
14th March 2006, 4:21 AM
LOL, of course Lilian's outfit wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? I really wonder why the animators chose to give Lilian such a skin tight outfit. Sharp contrast to Vivian maybe?
Thank you, Captain Obvious. :p How would I have been talking about her looks and not mean her outfit, especially since she has the same face and hair as her sister?

And since Combusken's the first person to point that out, I'm guessing most people don't feel the same way? That's pretty much the first negative comment about Lillian I've ever seen.

jolteonjak
14th March 2006, 5:01 AM
He speaks the truth. Marshtomp was owning Eevee most of it, so Eevee should be out of the game before it got a chance to make it's "come back".

This is exactly what I was thinking the whole time watching it. If Marshtomp used Protect another time or two Brock would have won. Even knowing the outcome, I'd have to say this was one of the best contests I've seen (English and Japanese).

Its a shame Brock won't actually be winning enough contests to be in a GF, but hopefully the writers will let him win one (probably right after Jessie wins her first one). I think he'd make a pretty good coordinator. And if I may just throw out something for someone to start a thread...who wants to see James and Manene in a contest?

.Bambi.
14th March 2006, 5:44 AM
Still, she's good at working the crowd, and she's a vast improvement looks-wise over Vivian. Vivian looked like a 50's housewife; Lillian looks young, energetic, and cool.
I don't love Bree/Marcia Cross for nothing ;O

What does Lillian say that is so annoying?
See MagicBox's post.

I don't have a problem with Lilian in general, though I must say I prefer Vivian's look and personality much more than hers. And her outfit would be nice if she didn't have that blinding pink arm sock and grey spandies under her blue hotpants.

It's just the way she says "Here we GO!" in her little Engrish tone and does that 'punch towards the screen' movement. Talk about stock footage >.>

Jo-Jo
14th March 2006, 12:07 PM
I think Lilian's cool. I really like her voice, and her Engrish is fun. Vivian was a better dresser, though.

Silent Conversation
16th March 2006, 11:44 PM
I dont think that this episode had a good plot for two reasons:

1. I don't think Brock should've entered a contest

2. May entered a contest 5 episodes ago!!!! It should be more spread out!

.Bambi.
16th March 2006, 11:53 PM
He didn't just enter it randomly, he had a reason to. To impress that woman.

Everyone knows that the Battle Frontier is going a a fast pace. 5 episodes between Contests is actually quite long, seeing as the last two were only 1 episode apart.

CyberCubed
16th March 2006, 11:55 PM

Brock only needs one reason to do something:

A pretty girl. That's it.

Have you been paying attention to this saga at all? There are Brains and Contests with only two-three episodes apart.

And what does the placement of this Contest have to do with the plot of the actual episode?

Pokemon Fan
18th March 2006, 4:43 AM
I was rather disappointed in some of the remarks made in this thread, post after post bashing the episode's events based on things that didn't even happen or were misinterpreted, so I feel compelled to add my two cents.

Eevee may have been trained and Marshtomp was hardly touched. But still you can't tell me a pokemon that was around that early can lose to a newborn.
Every pokemon is different, and grow at different rates. Dratinis take ages to become Dragonites, while Caterpie can get to their final stage in a mere few weeks. The fact that Eevee is only a few months old has little bearing on its strength. Really, a pokemon's experience level and age are two entirely different things. Age should only be used as an excuse for weakness if there is no other reason known. Plus Eevee had an advantage in speed and agility over the relatively slow and unmaneuverable Marshstomp.

And many MANY responders who didn't like this episode act like Eevee KOed Marshstomp. The fact that it didn't and won by only a few points should really make us all happy. What more could you ask for in a match up using these Pokemon? Heck, I think they could have been justified having Eevee knock Marshstompt unconscious with a Shadow Ball to the head, what with how powerful that move has always been shown to be in the anime, but they did the wisest thing and merely had Eevee endure and keep a slight point advantage and still people are upset.

The proof is in the pudding, eevee won. Sure, in the "real" world marshtomp should've won... but the writers are evil and twisted, we all know this so we shouldn't be surprised.
Allow me to quote Brock from a recent episode in the U.S.

"Evolution is a lot more complicated than that."

We've seen time and again that in the show experience level is just one factor influencing evolution. Pokemon that have never battled evolve fairly often due to age or emotional need or sudden physical strain. In contrast some pokemon that never evolve still possess a very high experience level.

What I mean is this. Brock focuses on raising pokemon to be healthy and strong. May focuses on battle skills and the appearence every move in battle makes. Both create strong fighters that can do well in Contests, but May's technique still has a slight edge over Brock's as she focuses more on what the contests focus on. Therefore even if Brock is stronger than her May will still have an inherent edge in a contest with him no matter what pokemon she uses. Essentially all May had to do was keep Eevee from falling unconscious and her superior Contest training would ensure that Eevee lost fewer points than Marshstomp. We have to remember that the point meters don't even read damage exactly, they reflect a pokemon's overall performance and Eevee kept itself confident and focused throughout the match.

Surprised there are no complaints about Eevee magically learning Dig to win...
This really irks me (not the poster who was making a point about people complaining but the idea presented) as Eevee didn't learn Dig during the battle and didn't win with it. From the beginning of the episode we can see that May's Eevee learned Dig at some earlier undetermined point. At least that was what it looked like to me.

One might also note, that there is a difference between the time a Pokemon learns a move and the time it first uses the move. As I recall when Ash saw Charizard glowing he realized it had learned Overheat during their practice session, but it didn't actually use the move until later.

Seriously I actually think

Squirtle = Eevee

Why? Sure Eevee trained more but still.....

See above. Age doesn't equal strength. The anime shows this often. An Absol may mature slowly and be relatively weak when young (like that little girl's), whereas an Eevee if trained well may mature quickly and gain strength rapidly. It would even vary between individuals.

All that Ariados seemed able to do was spin webs with a good degree of skill. It certainly had some experience but was far from what I'd call a strong fighter.

See above, Dig was not suddenly learned at the last minute.

But really, even if was would it matter? The strains of battle logically would cause pokemon to learn new moves, and number of these moves can be mastered without any further training. Was anyone bothered when Nocowl suddenly learned Confusion ans mastered it with no training? What about Combusken's Mega Kick? Or heck, Grovyle's Leaf Blade.

One might then argue that the point is the pokemon are young and inexperienced, but even that doesn't hold much water I think. Pokemon can learn some moves during just about any point in their lives, and the strain of battle may cause an inexperienced Pokemon to be even MORE likely to learn and master an attack, as their competitive nature strains to find a way to win and utilizes the sudden, massive influx of experience.

Chris
21st March 2006, 3:45 AM
Suprise suprise, the one time I actually DISLIKE Haruka winning. Why? Because the writers and animators are so full of it.

Do explain how the hell Takeshi managed to lose points during his battle when he was WINNING? o_O Haruka's attacks were being countered and evaded with little effort and yet Takeshi somehow ended up losing points in the process until she makes a comeback.

Wtf?

Anyone else find it ridiculous how dense Musashi and Kojiro are to be standing around in their Rocket uniforms in Kanto? XP

jolteonjak
21st March 2006, 4:04 AM
This really irks me (not the poster who was making a point about people complaining but the idea presented) as Eevee didn't learn Dig during the battle and didn't win with it. From the beginning of the episode we can see that May's Eevee learned Dig at some earlier undetermined point. At least that was what it looked like to me.

Can't the same be said for Squirtle and Ice Beam?

Squirtle learned Ice Beam (or revealed that it knew the move) in the episode BEFORE the Saffron Contest.

And Ed, I didn't understand how Brock lost points at the beginning of the right either. Oh well. At least Marshtomp got a fight in before its decay began.

Blazken
22nd March 2006, 8:27 PM
Suprise suprise, the one time I actually DISLIKE Haruka winning. Why? Because the writers and animators are so full of it.

Do explain how the hell Takeshi managed to lose points during his battle when he was WINNING? o_O Haruka's attacks were being countered and evaded with little effort and yet Takeshi somehow ended up losing points in the process until she makes a comeback.

Wtf?

Anyone else find it ridiculous how dense Musashi and Kojiro are to be standing around in their Rocket uniforms in Kanto? XP

The Moves need to Preform well

HoennMaster
22nd March 2006, 10:22 PM
so, Edward Elric has a good point

Kabuto
22nd March 2006, 11:22 PM

Wtf?

Thank you! Its not just May's Eevee I hate. Its everything about her being lucky and having baby ubers.

Squirtle_007
23rd March 2006, 3:26 AM
Oh please, do you really tought that Takeshi would win when his only battle ability is making dinner?, I mean, if the thing is about finding incoherences, then why don´t you ask yourself since when Takeshi is a good battler if all what he does is .... well, dinner?

MagicBox
23rd March 2006, 4:02 AM
Oh please, do you really tought that Takeshi would win when his only battle ability is making dinner?, I mean, if the thing is about finding incoherences, then why don´t you ask yourself since when Takeshi is a good battler if all what he does is .... well, dinner?What do you mean "Since when is he a good battler?" Last time I checked, he's been a good battler. Brock may battle far less than Ash and May, but he's a good strategist, and he knows how to use the environment he's battling in to his advantage. He's more than a cook, and you know it. As much as you deny his battling ability, Brock gave May a run for her money in this contest.

I agree with everyone who said that Brock's random loss of points was a dumb way to have May win. Sure, the "he lost points because his attacks weren't performed beautifully enough" argument is pretty good, but when was the last time we saw May get a point deduction when her attacks didn't look good enough?

Squirtle_007
23rd March 2006, 4:36 AM
What do you mean "Since when is he a good battler?" Last time I checked, he's been a good battler.

Do you mean that training battle with Satoshi when his Mudkip evolved?

He's more than a cook, and you know it. As much as you deny his battling ability, Brock gave May a run for her money in this contest.

Of course he is more than a cook, he is a nanny, a laundry men and a horny maid

I agree with everyone who said that Brock's random loss of points was a dumb way to have May win. Sure, the "he lost points because his attacks weren't performed beautifully enough" argument is pretty good, but when was the last time we saw May get a point deduction when her attacks didn't look good enough?

Will it be any kind of result that leaves everyone happy?, until the last contest, the universal complaint was the battles finishing by KO

Anyway, what would want Takeshi with a ribbon if he got the victory?

DarkWobbuffet
23rd March 2006, 5:37 AM
Do you mean that training battle with Satoshi when his Mudkip evolved?

That, and the previous battles he's been in, and the fact that he used to be a GYM LEADER! :O

Of course he is more than a cook, he is a nanny, a laundry men and a horny maid

...and a battler, and a breeder, and has a vast amount of knowledge regarding Pokemon, their lifestyles and their battle abilites...

Anyway, what would want Takeshi with a ribbon if he got the victory?

Bragging rights? The motivation to become a coordinator himself? The heart of that cute girl he was oogling over? There are lots of reasons.

Man, I may like Haruka, but the writers have just made things WAY too easy on her. Sure she lost one contest this arc, but it dosen't make up for all the scene-stealing moments her Pokemon have had during this saga.

Chris
23rd March 2006, 7:31 AM
Oh please, do you really tought that Takeshi would win when his only battle ability is making dinner?, I mean, if the thing is about finding incoherences, then why don´t you ask yourself since when Takeshi is a good battler if all what he does is .... well, dinner?
Someone sure missed out the fact that Takeshi actually did much better in his first Contest than Haruka did in hers. ;\

The Moves need to Preform well
Someone sure missed Numacraw performing its attacks well while battling. Everytime Evui attacked, Numacraw had an attack to counter or evaded the attack flawlessly. The way they had it counter Dig was well thought out, and much better than "Becareful! Watch out for it to pop up!" Shadow Ball was constantly blown up. As Evui attempted to charge, Mud Shot was used to cause it to lose its ground. Numacraw also hit Evui several times with a dead on Headbutt.

Andromache
23rd March 2006, 7:40 AM
Ugh, it's such a pet peeve of mine when people say Brock's not a good trainer. He's been complimented on the health and strength of his Pokemon a number of times, and he's also been shown on many occasions to have a strategic and pragmatic mind, which likely comes of his history as a GL and a surrogate parent to his siblings. I think Brock does train his Pokemon; it just isn't shown because he's not usually a focus character.

As for his being a cook and doing laundry, I personally would want a guy who can do those things. Cooks, especially, are sexy. Anyway, we saw how Ash, May, and Max were faring without Brock way back when, so Squirtle shouldn't be so quick to disparage Brock's roles. Without him, no one would remember to restock medicine or even bring food along. Heck, I think Max actually praised Brock's Forretress and his Explosion, so Brock must have trained it.

Brock had to grow up fast. It's amazing he's as good-natured and kind as he is. He's a survivor and I'm glad this episode finally showed Brock some respect.

Geodude
23rd March 2006, 12:09 PM
Numacraw also hit Evui several times with a dead on Headbutt.
Don't you mean Tackle? I don't remember Headbutt being used.

Chris
23rd March 2006, 7:21 PM
Reason enough why I shouldn't be allowed to type in the middle of the night. :P Yeah, it was Tackle, not Headbutt.

~Flareon~
25th March 2006, 1:54 AM
I saw the episode pictures already. I know May and Brock will be taking part in this contest. It is quite hard to see who wins. May will be using her Squirtle and her Eevee. Brock will be using his Bonsly and his Marshtomp. I know May's Eevee has defeated Brock's Marshtomp with a powerful Shadow Ball attack. And May gets the ribbon.

HoennMaster
25th March 2006, 4:47 AM
What attack did Marshtomp use with the Blue like Bubbles? It looks like a Blue Bullet Seed

jolteonjak
25th March 2006, 4:47 PM
What attack did Marshtomp use with the Blue like Bubbles? It looks like a Blue Bullet Seed

The attack Marshtomp used that looked like a blue bullet seed was Mudshot (sorry...wanted to beat the 10 char limit with words instead of symbols).

HoennMaster
27th March 2006, 3:36 AM
Isn't Mud Shot brown?

Yamato-san
27th March 2006, 11:34 AM
we've gone over it god-knows-how-many times, but Mud Shot got a design change so that it looks like glowing blue energy balls. No one knows why they decided to f*** around with the design as they did (especially considering that, one, the attack looked good enough as is when Mizugorou first evolved into Numacraw, and two, too many attacks involve a glow, even when they're really, really not necessary).

Squirtle_007
29th March 2006, 6:09 AM
Someone sure missed out the fact that Takeshi actually did much better in his first Contest than Haruka did in hers. ;\

Hmmm ... yes and ... no, Bonsly´s appeal was just a remake of Haruka´s Skitty´s appeal, nothing new, in her first contest, Haruka didn´t copy Beautifly´s appeal from anyone, and it was obvious that Takeshi got to the final, Haruka was a rookie in her first contest with almost nothing battle expierence, Takeshi on the other hand had years battling

HoennMaster
29th March 2006, 8:00 AM
I hated Bonsly's appeal

npdargy312
24th April 2006, 8:34 PM
I HATED seeing Brocki na contest!

MagicBox
25th April 2006, 1:39 AM
I HATED seeing Brocki na contest!Care to explain why?

Ashy Boy
17th September 2006, 8:29 AM
What ever happened to Team Rocket's scheme?

Pikafan
19th September 2006, 12:18 AM
Brock should have won because not only would he have won a contest ribbon but he would have gotten the girl as well;he was so...close!

Judai Yuki
18th November 2006, 2:55 PM
OMFG. This episode is so cheap. May should've lost by the time the second Mud Shot hit.

WaterDragon trainer
18th November 2006, 2:57 PM
Just saw this in the US. This episode was great. It was great to see May's Eevee learn Dig. It was hilarious when Brock first encountered that female breeder (forgot her name). It was great to see a Hyper Fang. Squirtle's first performance was awesome. It was hilarious when Lilian pulled Brock's ear. The battle between Brock and May was awesome. It was hilarious when that female breeder chose Molly instead of Brock as well as Meowth's quote at the end, "Wow! I haven't seen this many zeroes since I met you guys."

CyberCubed
18th November 2006, 3:01 PM
The battle could have been staged a little better, but it was still an enjoyable episode. May should have gotten one hit in at the beginning to make Brock's point fall believeable.

FireEmblemAddict
18th November 2006, 3:04 PM
I think Eevee took too many hits to still be standing, but oh well. They wanted her to get her fourth ribbon, so they made Marshtomp seem weaker than Eevee. :(

Judai Yuki
18th November 2006, 3:06 PM
Eevee took 3 Tackles, 3 Mud Shots and 2 Water Guns. ><

ijea4444
18th November 2006, 3:07 PM
i think they just made eevee more strategic

Pika Hikari KT
18th November 2006, 3:10 PM
-A Raticate~! Luv Raticate.:D

-Brock's VA performance was terrific, especially during the finals. Nearly put Stuart to shame, if not already there.:p The only slip I caught was when he sent out Bonsly, but said Marshtomp's name instead. Oopsie!XD

-Jessie's asking for it by using up James' bottlecaps for badges again.:p

-"I can't remember the last time I was in an official battle." So true...how far away is the Pewter tag battle?;)

ijea4444
18th November 2006, 3:13 PM
actually i think james has an unlimited amount of bottle caps because he always says that they're wasting them all but the next time they show there are more
i know its offtopic

o.O
18th November 2006, 3:14 PM
Its about time a raticate came back. Havent seen one in a while... I think >.>
I disliked how Eevee got hit by a bunch of attacks that would normally hurt a normal type such as a Mud Shot.
But, Im Glad that her Eevee learned Dig though. :D

ijea4444
18th November 2006, 3:17 PM
so was the blue bullet seed mudshot

CyberCubed
18th November 2006, 3:23 PM
I laughed at Brock's, "I can't remember the last time I've been in an official battle."

LMAO! That was hilarious!

Villi
18th November 2006, 3:27 PM
I didn't quite understand the Eevee vs. Marshtomp battle. Eevee got pounded to the ground, and when they showed the HP bars, it was equal to Marshtomp. Whazzafrazza? Does Eevee have that good of defenses?

Judai Yuki
18th November 2006, 3:28 PM
They wanted May to win...at all costs. ><

CyberCubed
18th November 2006, 3:29 PM
The only explanation for it is Brock was battling too much like a Gym leader and less of a coordinator...the same thing happens to Ash later on.

They should have explained it though.

Judai Yuki
18th November 2006, 3:30 PM
Cyber, you know it was BS how he lost though.

Villi
18th November 2006, 3:36 PM
The only explanation for it is Brock was battling too much like a Gym leader and less of a coordinator...the same thing happens to Ash later on.

They should have explained it though.

So your saying his battling wasn't perty enough?

uncutpokemon
18th November 2006, 3:50 PM
that whole "serious Brock" thing was funny, but that look on his face was scary!

Horn Drill
18th November 2006, 3:50 PM
Yeah, Brock totally should've won. Marshtomp took out that Absol in two attacks, yet that little baby Eevee survives how many blows? I'm sorry, but that thing not fainting after getting hit by all those Mud Shots, Water Guns, and Tackles just defys logic. Brock obviously handled his Pokemon better, and was ripped off bigtime. It stinks that in an episode where Brock finally gets to shine, he gets cheated out of his win essentially because May needs another ribbon and so the writers could cut his coordinator career short. :(

If May had to win, they should've given her a better comeback or not have made Eevee get schooled so badly during the first part of the battle. The judges and crowd all seemed very impressed by Brock and Marshtomp's abilities, yet May squeezes out a cheap win somehow anyway. If Brock had to lose, they should've made it a loss you could actually believe.

Judai Yuki
18th November 2006, 4:01 PM
Horn Drill-"Absol"utely correct. ><

jolteonjak
18th November 2006, 4:04 PM
so did Brock say the title?

Villi
18th November 2006, 4:09 PM
that whole "serious Brock" thing was funny, but that look on his face was scary!

I was like ZOMG!!!!111 Brock's eyes aren't slits!

Judai Yuki
18th November 2006, 4:10 PM
Nope, it was Ash that said it. And it sounded off. ^^

Rudoku
18th November 2006, 4:12 PM
PUSA needs to stop cutting the character themes out. If the "moon-language" is too much for kids, then just keep the music.

C.J. Ray
18th November 2006, 4:13 PM
Nope, which is going to get a lot of people angry, because it doesn't fit Ash saying the title. :D

Anyways, that was an interesting episode(I slept past the "Crimson Tide" episode, sadly). The only sad thing is that I couldn't record it because I misplaced my VCR tape. :(

You know what I think Brock got cheated out of? Being written off the show so that some other character could rejoin them. I mean, here we have the perfect woman for Brock - she's a breeder, she is interested in Brock and his techniques for training, and then...

"Oh, I'm sorry, I changed my mind. You're too experienced in contests to be my student, even though this is your first contest."

:@

I'm just stating the opinion Cybercubed and a lot of people will have after this episode. And now that Brock has gone to Shinou with Ash, it looks like he'll be spending his life as a bachelor.

I'm glad I don't care one way or the other about Brock, but a lot of people will disagree with me. Anyways, since this episode isn't just about Brock...

I think May's Eevee did really great in her(his? I don't know what dang gender the furball is) first battle. Learning a new move is really neat, and the fact that they mentioned Marshtomp's fin made me glad that the writers are consistent(they remembered that Marshtomp doesn't lose its special skills from Mudkip).

Anyways, great episode, except for that cop-out at the end. As Adam Sessler would say...this episode gets a 5 out of 5. :)

Judai Yuki
18th November 2006, 4:16 PM
Also TR just died off.

CyberCubed
18th November 2006, 4:19 PM
Yeah, Brock totally should've won. Marshtomp took out that Absol in two attacks, yet that little baby Eevee survives how many blows? I'm sorry, but that thing not fainting after getting hit by all those Mud Shots, Water Guns, and Tackles just defys logic. Brock obviously handled his Pokemon better, and was ripped off bigtime. It stinks that in an episode where Brock finally gets to shine, he gets cheated out of his win essentially because May needs another ribbon and so the writers could cut his coordinator career short. :(

Marshtompt was never a particularly strong Pokemon. As a Mudkip, it was barely in any battles. As a Marshtompt, again, it barely had any battles. This isn't Grovyle or Combusken we're talking about.

Eevee not fainting from those hits was fine, but it was the point system that was messed up. Brock lost too many points in the beginning, apparently for not being coordinator-like, but they didn't explain it.

If Brock had to lose, they should've made it a loss you could actually believe.

At least he didn't get KO'd. Time ran out so he probably would have won if it wasn't a time limit.

Outlawz
18th November 2006, 4:20 PM
Wow this was Mays cheapest battle yet, what a bunch of bull crap mays evee takes all those attacks and her points arnt even half gone thats just cheap, all in all this episode sucked.

AdvanceX
18th November 2006, 4:23 PM
Am I the only one whose still a bit bothered my Squirtles 'archive' voice?.. Isn't Mays a female one?..

Geodude
18th November 2006, 5:14 PM
And the evidence of that would be where?

jolteonjak
18th November 2006, 5:18 PM
Wow this was Mays cheapest battle yet, what a bunch of bull crap mays evee takes all those attacks and her points arnt even half gone thats just cheap, all in all this episode sucked.

I'd say Skitty v. Dusclops still beats this one. But it comes close.

S.Suikun
18th November 2006, 7:53 PM
And Squirtle vs. Ariados beats both of those. I mean, at least Dusclops and Ariados were consistantly trained. More than I can say for Marshy.

Slept through both episodes this morning, so would anybody mind providing the dub names of Yuma (tall girl) and Mika (Raticate girl)?

CyberCubed
18th November 2006, 7:56 PM
They kept Yuma for the dub. The girl with the Scizor was named Luna.

I don't remember what the Raticate girl's name was.

S.Suikun
18th November 2006, 8:00 PM
The girl with the Scizor was named Luna.
Wow, that's also the original name. 0_o

Jo-Jo
18th November 2006, 8:28 PM
^ The girl with the Absol was called Molly.

Medea
18th November 2006, 11:20 PM
Okay, interesting episode overall.

Two pain in the arses doing the appeals round (even though it was good). And poor Brock, he does too many things in the name of love and then gets seriously burned *snickers*.

Now one thing I had to scream at the televison was this...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/medea10/Random%202/212.jpg
Medea: I'LL TAKE TWENTY PICTURES!

I said that a couple of months ago and I said it again. As for the Brock/May battle, really good. Love May's Eevee and blah, blah, blah. I went off on the Drew picture cameo appearance, I'm just satisfied with that!

Darkness Angel
19th November 2006, 1:50 AM
Enjoyed the battle between Brock and May.

Mandi.
19th November 2006, 2:04 AM
xD I know Medea. I LOLed so hard when I saw the Drew pictures. I was not expecting them at all. I'm sure those sold fast. x3

Anyways, this was a nice episode. I agree with people, that they could have done the whole contest better. We didn't even get to see May battling that guy she had to battle. All of a sudden it went to 'May vs. Brock'. Yeah, but it was ok.

CyberCubed
19th November 2006, 2:07 AM
You have to wonder where Jessie got pictures of Drew from. Maybe she asked Harley to share the shots from his polaroid? :p