PDA

View Full Version : Rice Balls In The Dub

Geki
10th March 2006, 8:10 PM
I know that the dub cuts out rice balls and other Japanese cultural references, but I watched the episode ''Gone Corphishin'' today, and they showed the gang eating Rice Balls, and Brock mentioned ''Well guys, our Rice Balls, are now Slush Balls'', or something like that. So I was wondering, why didn't they include them in any other AG episodes, at least I don't think they did. Also, this was on DVD, so maybe they don't cut stuff on DVD.

PDL
10th March 2006, 8:16 PM
they were (and in some cases, still are) pretty inconsistant with this Japanese snack food.

Now they're more likely to edit it out because they've gotten alot better with their... editing...

though the quality greatly varies, sometimes it's good enough to fool the audience and other times it comes out extremely sloppy.

Gravy
10th March 2006, 8:20 PM
I've never noticed any difference in their editting quality. It's always looked pretty crappy if you ask me. lol @ the 'giant sandwich'.

Before they started editing the food, when was the last time we saw some rice balls in the show? I'll be damned if I can remember any kooky alliases they've been refered to during the course of Challenge and Battle.

Orion-Sama
10th March 2006, 8:22 PM
I remember they've been always rice balls in the mexican dub. Except once, when they were named "sandwiches". >__>

I haven't seen them at all in the latest chapters, though. All they eat now is Brock's soup, or something.

PDL
10th March 2006, 8:41 PM
the last time I remember seeing rice balls untouched was during the Mossdeep gym two-parter... it was on a box of space food.

anyway, I think I remember most the aliases they've gone under...

donut
popcorn balls
sandwiches
non-nutritional snack food
jelly donut (maybe...)
Glalie

then I remember another japanese food being dubbed as "Muskrat Meatballs" o_O

and I remember another one being dubbed as regualar "meatballs" (the original was made from octopus I think)

then there's the ramen noodles being turned to "Chicken Noodle Soup"

I'm no expert of Japanese cuisine... but the only ones "well known" enough to make it's way to the dub without being altered is sushi and possibly wasabi.

Jesse GS the II
10th March 2006, 8:42 PM
Don't forget that Masamune has those huge onigiri that are always digitally painted over with pictures of sandwiches and whatnot.

Geki
10th March 2006, 8:42 PM
I remember they've been always rice balls in the mexican dub. Except once, when they were named "sandwiches". >__>

I haven't seen them at all in the latest chapters, though. All they eat now is Brock's soup, or something.

We hardly ever see the group eating anymore. But besides that, I forgot to add that tomorrow, we will probably see an edit tomorrow in ''Saved By The Beldum''. Morrison drops one.

Kabuto
10th March 2006, 10:33 PM
I love the Japanese riceballs. They're so cool looking and give culture to the show. Seriously such a pathetic edit.

Torkoal Stu
10th March 2006, 10:38 PM
jelly donut (maybe...)
Glalie
Yeah in the Mankey episode when the food landed in the Pokeball Misty said "you caught a donut Pokemon?" or something to that effect. And I had to LOL at Glalie.

Yeah I see no point in any of these edits they make on food x.x; They should just leave it, its not like anyone would go into a fit if it was still in there.

Satoshi
10th March 2006, 10:42 PM
anyway, I think I remember most the aliases they've gone under...

donut
popcorn balls
sandwiches
non-nutritional snack food
jelly donut (maybe...)
Glalie
Don't forget eclairs.

I'm no expert of Japanese cuisine... but the only ones "well known" enough to make it's way to the dub without being altered is sushi and possibly wasabi.I don't know. Ramen and onigiri are almost as well known as them in America, so I don't know why the hell 4kids would alter them. >>;;

Heracross
10th March 2006, 11:12 PM
Why do they do anything? Why does Al Kahn want to discourage children from reading? Why do they replace nearly all of the lyricless music? Why is the One Piece dub so bad?

There is no logical reason. They try to rationalize it, but their explanations are bull. They don't know what they're doing.

RandomCharizard
10th March 2006, 11:47 PM
Actually, in AG 008 Team Rocket also mentions Rice balls. Theres no real reason behind MOST of 4kid's cuts(Even though Kahn tries to "explain" them.)

Raevell
11th March 2006, 1:10 AM
Ugh, with how easy it is to digitally paint nowadays who knows the wrath that the onigiri will suffer. I grow tired of it. They can call it whatever they want as far as I am concerned, it's when they start painting over them that I get mad.

Maybe they get paid by the edit...

Dreamcoat
11th March 2006, 1:20 AM
Ugh, with how easy it is to digitally paint nowadays who knows the wrath that the onigiri will suffer. I grow tired of it. They can call it whatever they want as far as I am concerned, it's when they start painting over them that I get mad.

Maybe they get paid by the mistakes they make...

Omgosh, the writers must be millionaires!

Geki
11th March 2006, 2:05 AM
Why do they do anything? Why does Al Kahn want to discourage children from reading? Why do they replace nearly all of the lyricless music? Why is the One Piece dub so bad?

There is no logical reason. They try to rationalize it, but their explanations are bull. They don't know what they're doing.

Who's Al Kahn?

Satoshi
11th March 2006, 2:11 AM
Who's Al Kahn?
The CEO and chairman of 4kids Entertainment.

Dogasu
11th March 2006, 2:20 AM

No, they don't. And before someone pipes in with a "Well then why else would they be making all these edits?," you need to realize that an agurment of "why else?" isn't a very sound one.

Raito
11th March 2006, 2:45 AM
I don't see any real reason why they would rename Rice Balls. It's just a food snack in Japan, I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

Satoshi
11th March 2006, 3:01 AM
I don't see any real reason why they would rename Rice Balls. It's just a food snack in Japan, I don't see anything wrong with that at all.
Thing is, 4kids has a long history of removing anything that's Japanese out of the anime that they dub just to extremely Americanize it, whether it's just a simple food snack or not. I don't see any reason for them to play "name the onigiri" either, but that's just how the company does stuff - things we will never understand.

pikadon92
11th March 2006, 3:34 AM
One thing I don't get it is, why don't 4kids just call it 'sushi'? >.>"' Surely the kids targetted arn't that undevelopped that they didn't know their custom yet right?
There's already once when I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, one of the credicts goes to 4kids. I KNOW that one of the turtles mention the word sushi, so why can't that apply to pokemon?

Thriller
11th March 2006, 3:41 AM
4Kids thinks that little children would get into a seizure or something if they see Onigiri or even an English sign. And Yanno, I have to wonder if this Onigiri edit only applies to bigger onigiri. Yes TR's Onigiri was painted into a cracker but that was for consistency with Morrisons Onigiri. I think this because Jimmy's was rather big as was Morrisons and yet Corphish sees a onigiri label at the Space Center.

PDL
11th March 2006, 3:43 AM
One thing I don't get it is, why don't 4kids just call it 'sushi'? >.>"' Surely the kids targetted arn't that undevelopped that they didn't know their custom yet right?
There's already once when I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, one of the credicts goes to 4kids. I KNOW that one of the turtles mention the word sushi, so why can't that apply to pokemon?

Sushi is known worldwide as ethinc food of Japan, everyone the world over enjoys sushi when they want something Japanese.

Onigiri however are only "popular" in Japan. I've never ever seen them in North Amercia, I'm not even sure what it's supposed to taste like... it's made with rice... but what makes it sweet... is it sweet?

and dubbing them as "Sushi" makes even less sense then calling them donuts, Sushi is raw-ish fish wrapped in seaweed while Onigiri are rice balls... wrapped in seaweed. (the japanese sure love their seaweed...)

it'd be like calling a pizza pocket a cream pie...

intergalactic platypus
11th March 2006, 3:52 AM
I personally think the rice balls stuff is effing funny. I know its pointless and all, but I'm amused by all of the different names they come up with

Chris
11th March 2006, 11:57 AM
It's not amusing how they've now gone so far as to actually paint them into new foods. The editing looks so awful in contrast with the original art. o_O Seriously, looks at the colors used on the edits and you'll notice how badly they stick out. They clash with the original paint used for the show.

What's worse is how insulting some of these edits are to our intelligence. Let's take "Morrison's" debut episode. The sub-like sandwich he has does NOT fall apart, even when it's rolling around. Let's just throw logic out the window and assume it's got some really sticky mayo in there to keep it from falling apart.

Then we have the cracker that Team Rocket has. Notice how tiny it is on their plate and then BIG in Munchlax's hands the next.

Nice editing job you folks got there. ;\

If they're gonna edit things, they need to hire PROFESSIONALS. :|

Judai Yuki
12th March 2006, 7:38 AM
Idk why they would edit it at all.They've showed onigiri in the anime before.I believe there was at least another one shown about 20-35 eps ago too.

Satoshi
12th March 2006, 7:41 AM
Idk why they would edit it at all.They've showed onigiri in the anime before.I believe there was at least another one shown about 20-35 eps ago too.
They're obviously INCONSISTENT. As said many times before.

Token
12th March 2006, 7:50 AM
They turned it into a bloody CHEESEBURGER today. A Cheeseburger that looks like a dumpling. I'm close to giving up onthe anime now. Cheese and rice. Hey, my catchphrase is a funny. Yay!

Judai Yuki
12th March 2006, 8:09 AM
http://www.bulbagarden.net/%7Edogasu/comparisons/houen/ag119/onigiri05j.jpg
http://www.bulbagarden.net/%7Edogasu/comparisons/houen/ag119/onigiri05e.jpg
xD 4kids and their sandwhiches that dont fit in to the background.

HoennMaster
12th March 2006, 9:16 AM
What I don't get is, didn't they used to show Rice Balls?

Kabuto
12th March 2006, 9:44 AM
Yes they showed it but 4Kids is more picky now then they used to be. Before mid-Johto I didn't think they were that bad. But now they refuse to show anything that has to do with Japan. A rolling sandwich and a cheeseburger. How pathetic.

Heracross
12th March 2006, 10:04 AM
You know, this makes me wonder how long before we don't even see them in the original version any more.

jindahouse
12th March 2006, 6:30 PM
rice balls have always been in the program i remeber ash gave one 2 mankey which evolved into his primape

Ralts Master
12th March 2006, 9:30 PM
Maybe they get paid by the mistakes they make...

Omgosh, the writers must be millionaires!
Then the Japanese writers should be multi-millionaires...

no wait, that would be if they got paid for every chance to reference Kanto I that they ignore in Kanto II...

Heracross
12th March 2006, 9:33 PM
They would destroy the entire global economy.

MagicBox
12th March 2006, 11:19 PM
They would destroy the entire global economy.XD

Y'know, I've got absolutely no problem with editing a show a little to make it easier for people of different cultures to understand. I have no problem with little edits like changing this (http://www.bulbagarden.net/~dogasu/comparisons/chronicles/05_nibi01j_big.jpg) to this (http://www.bulbagarden.net/~dogasu/comparisons/chronicles/05_nibi01e_big.jpg) so that people aren't confused. To tell the truth, I actually admire a company when they care enough about a viewer to make simple, minor edits like that.

The problem with 4KIDS is that they abuse their power so much. When it's just editing a name of a gym or changing the Japanese name of a Pokemon to its American name, I've got no problem with that; I actually prefer it. But when they go so far as to change a rice ball to a sandwich, that's crossing the line in so many ways. Seriously, what child won't be able to understand a person eating food? When I was a little kid, I didn't think the rice balls were from Japan, I just thought they were a kind of food that only existed in the Pokemon world. That's probably what other little kids think as well. It serves no purpose to edit a food from Japan if kids aren't even going to make the connection.

I don't mind the little edits that 4KIDS make to their shows to make them more understandable for American audiences, but when they stop being little edits, that's when I get frustrated. The background music is a perfect example of this. It can be understood by anyone in the world, yet 4KIDS feels like it's their duty to change it. THAT'S the problem here.

pikachu25
13th March 2006, 2:02 AM
What I don't get is, didn't they used to show Rice Balls?
yea they did, they just called it something else like dounut.

Chris
13th March 2006, 2:08 AM
rice balls have always been in the program i remeber ash gave one 2 mankey which evolved into his primape
According to 4Kids, he gave Mankey a "donut" and not a riceball. ;P

Rufinito18
13th March 2006, 2:15 AM
I remember the muskrat meatballs, Its in the episode where ash's mom goes into a restaurent ( Indoguo plateau) and takes over

PDL
13th March 2006, 3:30 AM
I remember the muskrat meatballs, Its in the episode where ash's mom goes into a restaurent ( Indoguo plateau) and takes over

not really...

the muskrat meatballs was from the episode with Brono and the scarred Onix...

The thing Delia made were "croquets" or whatever...

Rufinito18
13th March 2006, 3:47 AM
oh right
( I just watched a bunch of the old eps..I got confused)

Raevell
13th March 2006, 4:01 AM
XD

Y'know, I've got absolutely no problem with editing a show a little to make it easier for people of different cultures to understand. I have no problem with little edits like changing this (http://www.bulbagarden.net/~dogasu/comparisons/chronicles/05_nibi01j_big.jpg) to this (http://www.bulbagarden.net/~dogasu/comparisons/chronicles/05_nibi01e_big.jpg) so that people aren't confused. To tell the truth, I actually admire a company when they care enough about a viewer to make simple, minor edits like that.

The problem with 4KIDS is that they abuse their power so much. When it's just editing a name of a gym or changing the Japanese name of a Pokemon to its American name, I've got no problem with that; I actually prefer it. But when they go so far as to change a rice ball to a sandwich, that's crossing the line in so many ways. Seriously, what child won't be able to understand a person eating food? When I was a little kid, I didn't think the rice balls were from Japan, I just thought they were a kind of food that only existed in the Pokemon world. That's probably what other little kids think as well. It serves no purpose to edit a food from Japan if kids aren't even going to make the connection.

I don't mind the little edits that 4KIDS make to their shows to make them more understandable for American audiences, but when they stop being little edits, that's when I get frustrated. The background music is a perfect example of this. It can be understood by anyone in the world, yet 4KIDS feels like it's their duty to change it. THAT'S the problem here.

I agree, some people go a bit too far with their complaints. However...

When they edit, they need to complete it. What bugs me is when they go around erasing all of the katakana, hiragana, and kanji off of signs and banners and then they leave it all blank... If they are going to go that far why don't they just write a translation on the signs?

I still remember in an old Sonic X episode (4kids dub) there was a great joke involving signs. The joke wasn't translated when dubbed and the characters were just holding up blank signs which made no sense.

I guess this goes with the idea that American kids are too stupid to read or something.