PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Naturalize

klducks
12th March 2006, 10:00 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/onslaught/naturalize.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/8e/naturalize.jpghttp://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/9e/naturalize.jpg
Naturalize - Onslaught, 8th, 9th Edition. Common
1G: Instant
Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
"From here, let the world be reborn."
-----
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
-William Shakespeare,
Toilus and Cressida
-----
"Well, it also makes a very nice flower pot...."
-Arcum Dagsson, Soldevi machanist

I decided to do a COTD on this card since it is one of those forgotten cards that everyone says "yeah okay, ___, ___, ___, naturalize beats it" yet, noone has an official feeling about it down on paper.

This card is pretty much atleast Sideboard worthy if youre playing green, unless ofcourse youre playing Putrefy.

The Duck's Rating: 3.5/5

Kaizer
12th March 2006, 10:41 PM
I only have one correction to make to what you've said- this card will always make the cut, either sidedboard or maindeck if you've got green. This is after all Disenchant and that makes fairly well too. Considering today's evironment, it's even more likelly to be maindecked than 'boarded with all the Glares, Fetters, Jittes(boarded), and other random crap that hurts you running around.
;245;

Shadow Trainer
13th March 2006, 12:26 AM
Disenchant in green. A good card, more a sidedeck card then a maindeck one. 3/5

klducks
13th March 2006, 12:47 AM
I only have one correction to make to what you've said- this card will always make the cut, either sidedboard or maindeck if you've got green. This is after all Disenchant and that makes fairly well too. Considering today's evironment, it's even more likelly to be maindecked than 'boarded with all the Glares, Fetters, Jittes(boarded), and other random crap that hurts you running around.
;245;
ofcourse, but it's not always going to make the cut, since theres Putrefy.

It really depends on your metagame IMO and if you're splashing black or not.

Kaizer
13th March 2006, 1:22 AM
Even with the splash for black you'll still probably see a Naturalize or two, they'll just make sideboard for sure in that case. However, judging by top 8 at Honolulu, Tin-Street Hooligan and Kami of Ancient Law were more popular than naturalize as there were only two in the entire T8. Both were sideboarded.

~RaikouRider243~
13th March 2006, 1:25 AM
This is why green is splashed in Standard...since Disenchant was lost, green is the only color with cheap artifact AND enchantment removal. I currently run three of these in my green deck.

3.5/5

Shadow the Hedgehog
13th March 2006, 11:55 PM
Not bad almost always run it when I run green. 3/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
15th March 2006, 2:08 PM
Hang on there.....Disenchant is banned? I'm so outdated and screwed. -runs off to fix Urza's Saga deck-

A green Disenchant. 2 mana, remove target artifat and enchantment, cheap, effective, and useful. Well, depends on your environment, but I like it lots. Sideboarded, or mained, doesn't really matter. It's just that good.

Shadow Trainer
15th March 2006, 6:15 PM
Hang on there.....Disenchant is banned?

Not banned, but around Eighth Edition R&D decided to move artifact destruction primarily to green and started reprinting Naturalize instead of Disenchant.

Felix Feral Fezirix
16th March 2006, 9:25 AM
Oh. Right.....So I can keep my Disenchant! Squee! Hmm......What to play it on now? -is playing against self- I'm weird, I know.

skiboydoggy
20th March 2006, 6:51 AM
Heh... Naturalize is good, and pwns half of the Mirrodin block, so I guess I like it. Like it plenty...
Disenchant is my preferred of the two though.

Felix Feral Fezirix
29th March 2006, 1:17 PM
It seems that I see a trend change. White loses artifact removal but is moving towards tapping while Green is gaining artifact destruction. Haven't been studying card lists, but Green is going to lose something in the near future, I hope. Or maybe it's a ploy to balance the colours so that Green doesn't die horribly late game if the opponent survives long enough. Hmm....I wonder?

skiboydoggy
30th March 2006, 12:30 PM
Green will not die late game you moronic twit. Just because everybody else has immense creatures does not mean you cannot beat it with many creatures.
After all, there are many spells that are specifically made for green boosting as well.
Giant Growth and Might of the Oaks says Hi.