PDA

View Full Version : One Piece

ZGDK
13th March 2006, 9:52 PM
Well I've started watching the anime recently and I'm already a big fan, my question is. Would I enjoy the manga? Thanks for your time.

Kez
13th March 2006, 10:11 PM
If you are watching the dubbed anime, which is supposed to be a total ruin, and you like that, I suppose that you will like the anime even more. The stories will be slightly different as well, so one will not spoil the other too much. I am hoping tio get the manga soon, I am hoping to get the manga soon. I think there have been 9 volumes translates, and there are over 40 in japan.

ZGDK
13th March 2006, 10:47 PM
Well I've only watched the dubbed Anime, I have no idea what these terms mean. I guess I'll try the manga.

Skiks
13th March 2006, 10:50 PM
I believe there are ten volumes translated now. Yes if your watching then anime dubbed one you will see a big change in the story. As long as you enjoy shonen type manga I'm sure you'll enjoy the one piece manga.

Konosuke
13th March 2006, 11:59 PM
there are 10 translated manga and 42 volumes worth of scanlated chapters online. I suggest you read them if you want to get the true story (the original anime is slightly different from the manga, but the american dub takes that to level far beyond the actual need)

MarcmenX
15th March 2006, 5:21 AM
Well I've only watched the dubbed Anime, I have no idea what these terms mean. I guess I'll try the manga.

Unless you don't like blood, violence, and occasional cursing as well as the very subject of death, then I'm sure you could handle the manga. If you're not into that stuff, stay away from the manga and stick to your dub.

and btw, if you read the manga, you'll be very surprised with how different the dub anime and the manga are...

ZGDK
15th March 2006, 9:14 PM
Well I ordered it off Barnes and Noble.

Rex Kamex
15th March 2006, 9:27 PM
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=74638

It hasn't been an entire month yet, so...

ZGDK
15th March 2006, 9:46 PM
Now, do they edit the manga like with the show? I want to see the unabridged one.

Skiks
15th March 2006, 10:02 PM
Now, do they edit the manga like with the show? I want to see the unabridged one.
Not really from what I have seen. Books can get away with more things.

ZGDK
15th March 2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks, I wanted to read the full thing without edits.

Kez
15th March 2006, 11:00 PM
I have been watching the subbed anime, and there is a difference right away. I want to read the manga even more after reading about that. If it is all that, violance, death and stuff like that, i like manga like that. Thank you for clearing this up.

So, is the subbed anime milder than the manga?

ZGDK
15th March 2006, 11:02 PM
It also has agreat story, awesome characters... not just violence.

Kez
17th March 2006, 10:00 PM
Well, i am looking forward to reading the manga, I was going to get it yesterday, but they had sold out T_T. I hope that it is as good as i have heard.. and more. LOL. No, i never expect to much from something.

ZGDK
19th March 2006, 10:37 PM
Well I read one, two and three. My ratings: note: it's from one to five stars

One: *****

Two: ****

Three: *****

All are great, you can't put them down for a minute!

Kez
20th March 2006, 6:06 PM
Thanks, I wasd going to get them, but they had sold out. I have reserved them at my college library, as they are ordering them in. I cant wait to read them.

How similar are the manga stories and the subbed stories?

ZGDK
20th March 2006, 8:57 PM
I can't help you there, I've only watched the dub, sorry:( I'm going to wait for the uncut to come out on DVD.

Kecleon Freak
22nd March 2006, 2:29 AM
I don't think there are any plans for uncut DVD's, unfortunately.

As for the stories, they're basically identical, except the anime has some fillers, episodes whose stories were not in the manga. OP is pretty good with fillers, though, not too many.

Sheik
22nd March 2006, 3:46 AM
I really enjoyed reading one piece manga it's worth reading if your not really sure you can allways go to your barnse and noble or suncoast either way you can look at them and read through a bit to see if you'll like it.

Moonlight.
24th March 2006, 11:52 PM
Well, I've only seen the dub of the anime, but I prefer the manga to the anime. The manga has more jokes, more violence and nothing cut out.

Also, if you live in England, like me, you'll find following the manga much better than watching constant reruns on Toonami.

The art is also really good.

Meh, I just really prefer any manga to anime.

Kez
31st March 2006, 5:19 PM
I live in the UK too, and the only problem is... there has only been one volume published here, so unless you want to order them from online, or find a shop that orders them from america (which i have lol) then you will be stuck with the limit of one a month.

I think that if you have watched the anime, subbed, and read the manga, I suppose they would be similar, as they usualy are.

Metalvirus
31st March 2006, 8:54 PM
The dub One Piece anime is HORRIBLE compared to the original Japanese One Piece anime. If you can download full episodes on your computer, download them from here, http://kaizoku-fansubs.com/downloads/index.php or, if you cant, stream episodes here, http://youtube.com/results?search=One+piece+episode&search_type=search_videos

You wont regret it.

Well, on the topic of manga, the Shonen Jump version does a pretty good job with it, and doesnt cut out anything that I am aware of.

Rex Kamex
3rd April 2006, 12:16 AM
The dub One Piece anime is HORRIBLE compared to the original Japanese One Piece anime. If you can download full episodes on your computer, download them from here, http://kaizoku-fansubs.com/downloads/index.php or, if you cant, stream episodes here, http://youtube.com/results?search=One+piece+episode&search_type=search_videos

You wont regret it.

Well, on the topic of manga, the Shonen Jump version does a pretty good job with it, and doesnt cut out anything that I am aware of.

Well, Shonen Jump does sometimes get rid of some color spread title pages though they put them back in the graphic novels. (Example: the Christmas-theme color page for Chapter 69- Arlong Park. Of course, in Shonen Jump, they would've been showing a Christmas picture in June, so that's understandable.) You do know that putting those links up isn't allowed here, right? In fact, this entire thread shouldn't be allowed here since there's already a One Piece manga topic.

[Kingdra]
12th April 2006, 1:39 AM
I bought the 1st book today and I finished it in a short amount of time I think you would enjoy it

serialcereal
12th April 2006, 3:14 AM
Even though I am not one of one peice's biggest fan I have to say, the 4kids dub did it no justice. anything 4kids touches tuns into horrible evil mushy crap. Here is a good repersentaion of what happened. not for young children. (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145)

AnimeStar
12th April 2006, 3:48 AM
Do you buy shonen jumpes? Because i find them to be more conviniount then buying the actual manga for it.. :)