PDA

View Full Version : Wtf?

fhqwhgads
15th March 2006, 3:07 AM
What's the point of the opening page? Ya know, the one that just has the button that says 'enter site'. Do you need it?

POKErUsAm
15th March 2006, 3:08 AM
that is for the quick links,this isnt a good idea for a thread title.

Nny
15th March 2006, 3:09 AM
Yeah, if you payed any attention you would see quick links to whever you wanted to go to.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
15th March 2006, 3:12 AM
it's called a topsite, and it really makes serebii.net attractive. i mean, would you want info blaring up at you the moment you enter? the topsite lets you access what ever you want quickly, so you don't have to look on the main page.

Tazzler
15th March 2006, 3:16 AM
Yea, for convience and aesthetics.

SlimShady
15th March 2006, 3:19 AM
Yes, but the top site loads to the main site automatically, so there is not point to what everyone is saying. It loads too fast for any viewing.

blueguy
15th March 2006, 3:22 AM
What's this talk about easily accessing pages? O_o When I go to the page it just says "Enter site". I'm not complaining, I just don't get what people were saying.

Anyways, tons of websites have an "enter" page. Why? Who knows, but they do, and it's not that big a deal.

Rufinito18
15th March 2006, 3:23 AM
I love the man page. It makes it look more professionnal ( unlike amateur sites that have the news page as their home page) . And, its really cool that theres the links on the bottom. I disagree with u

POKErUsAm
15th March 2006, 3:29 AM
the only thing that i dont like about it is that it ends up creating 2 pages when you click the links,at least for me but no big deal,i like that page.

fhqwhgads
15th March 2006, 3:47 AM
I disagree with u
Disagree with what? The fact that I'm wondering what it's there for? Oookay.

POKErUsAm
15th March 2006, 3:49 AM
pretty much the qustion is answered,but the part where you asked if it was needed.no.the same things are on the side.but it is very helpful.

The Organizer
21st March 2006, 10:33 PM
I actully like that front page. It would suck if as soon as you go to serebii.net youre bombarded with information. I like the homepage it makes the site so simple, because i can find all that i need without distration. W00t for the frontpage.

XanderWolf
21st March 2006, 10:49 PM
Meh. Personally, I don't ever see the front page. I automatically link to /index2.shtml.

I prefer to have all the news pop up directly instead of having to go from a boring and rather ugly front page and clicking on it just to see it. I'd rather have the news page pop up first, and then from there, I'd rather have clickable links to various news information.

For example: The New Pokemon. Some of us would rather not know about them. I'd prefer to have a news page set up so that it may tell us that we have some new Pokemon revealed, but instead of ruining the game for us, giving us a link we could click to see it. That way, those who want the information can get it, and those of us who don't, don't have to see it.

Akilah Imani
22nd March 2006, 8:02 AM
I don't think that it really matters. Front page or no front page, the site does its job, serves its initial purpose, and is highly popular. This isn't a dire or critical issue that causes for immediate attention. Who cares if its there, doesn't matter if it is/isn't needed. >_>

There's more important things to discuss, like puppies for example.

Puppies > Serebii.net

Akilah

Crystal Walrein
24th March 2006, 1:09 AM
This is a trend among many sites that's becoming very annoying these days.

Splash pages (that's what they're called) are an unnecessary load on those with low and faulty Internet connections — and foretastes like this do NOT look a site look professional at all; rather, they throw at you some work that they want you to judge on instead of letting you judge based on the content within the actual site.

The only purpose for splash pages is to redirect the user from a bad link if the site moved. To pose as a bookcover, no.

Kabuto
24th March 2006, 2:50 AM
I put the website page on my favorites so I skip the opening.

pharaohguy530
8th April 2006, 2:23 AM
What's the point of the opening page? Ya know, the one that just has the button that says 'enter site'. Do you need it?
Well my friend, its to build suppense, to make people say, "Oh! Whats gonna be on the next page? Will it be this, this or this?" And maybe he wanted it? His website, his choice.

Phaarix
11th April 2006, 2:35 AM
I don't mind it being there, it looks ok and has it's use (quick links - although I'll admit I hadn't really noticed that before as I tend to skip through pages like that - perhaps you could make that bar a bit more noticeable?). But -

unlike amateur sites that have the news page as their home page

Err, since when was that amateur? You're talking about MOST sites here, and some very large corporate sites, you can't say that any site that opens at a news page is "amateur". After all, (depending on your site's purpose of course) sites are commonly a source for the latest news and that is why people visit these particular sites, so how is it amateur to give the people what they want straight up? Of course there are too those sites where an opening/introduction type page are more suitable. But definitely not in all cases.

Sweet May
11th April 2006, 2:39 AM
It's a splash. Deal with it. But just try to link to link to the second page as everyone said. x.x;;

indigestible_wad
12th April 2006, 2:06 AM
the only thing that i dont like about it is that it ends up creating 2 pages when you click the links,at least for me but no big deal,i like that page.
Personally I like it better when there are two pages. That way you can look at two things at once without having to lose what you're doing.

serialcereal
12th April 2006, 3:40 AM
What the first page does is makes it so you know you got to the site before it loads the page. It's for keeping you at the page and makes it so you can access links from it. Pretty helpful. Easy coding too.

Mequuh
12th April 2006, 3:42 AM
It PROBABLY takes up a good deal of bandwith too, since EVERYONE has to use it. I said this in the suggestion thread, but was ignored.

Dragonfree
12th April 2006, 5:07 AM
That is not called a topsite. -_- Topsites are listings of websites that get votes when people click on buttons to the topsites. It's called a splash page, and generally it's not a good idea to use them unless you really have something interesting to put there. I have one mainly because I like to draw humourous pictures to put on it, and I place my browser requirements there. Some sites, like Suta-Raito, are split into two (or more) parts, and therefore they have a splash page where people can enter either one side or the other without being immediately directed to one of them. If you have important browser requirements, it can be a good idea to put that on a splash page, too, just so people won't come to your main page, see everything messed up and go "Huh?" If you use some sort of a style switcher, that can be nice on a splash page, too, in case the viewer is the kind of person who just doesn't notice the style switcher's presence when it's just there somewhere in a corner and then complains they don't like the colors of your layout.

Serebii.net, however, has none of that, and frankly, I think it would save everybody a bunch of trouble if it weren't there. Why don't people want information in their faces when they come to Serebii.net? People come there for information, and all the splash page does is make them download a large image and click on it for no particular reason.

Mequuh
12th April 2006, 5:52 AM
Exactly.. And since half the time I'n on dial up I won't even bother going to the site until I come to my moms because I know it will take FOREVER with that index one.

Squid Rooster
14th April 2006, 1:30 AM
I'm with the topic creator on this one. I've bookmarked the main page, so I normally don't see the splash page, but if I'm on another computer and visit serebii.net, I'm taken aback by the splash page. It offers nothing that isn't already on the main site; it's just one extra step to get to where you want to go.

I've read this entire thread, and some of the points made in favor of the splash were valid, but some were just silly...

PLANES CURE TOWERS
14th April 2006, 1:35 AM
Exactly.. And since half the time I'n on dial up I won't even bother going to the site until I come to my moms because I know it will take FOREVER with that index one.
Easy way around it, if you bookmark the site, don't bookmark the http://serebii.net url and instead bookmark http://serebii.net/index2.shtml and you're taken directly to the main page as opposed to the splash page. Alternatively, save that url in your history as opposed to the standard one.

As far as my stance on the page goes, well, to be honest with you, I don't really go on the site too much, and when I do, I have the bookmark that saves the hassle of the page in question. What a rebel!

-Josh

BestBlaziken
16th April 2006, 1:53 PM
It's Serebii's site. He likes it that way. So who are you to complain?