PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Harrier Griffin

klducks
18th March 2006, 4:23 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/guildpact/harrier_griffin.jpg
Harrier Griffin - Guildpact. Uncommon
5W: Creature - Griffin
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, tap target creature.
Moon Market merchants sell a bottled scent to cutpurses and other criminals. Those doused int he liquid become "griffin bait."
3/3

Pretty much a great card in limited and half and half on casual. 6 for a 3/3 flyer... okay. It could swing for 3 while it can also tap a creature as well. For limited purposes, draft this.

The Duck's Rating: 3/5

Shadow Trainer
18th March 2006, 7:54 PM
This really is just a limited card, the 3/3 body for six is good and the tap ability will help alot. 3/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
19th March 2006, 2:12 PM
3/3 for six is pretty decent, but what is important is that tap ability. Without it, it's useless, but its cost is still justified enough to be a musthave. One word describes it well: Limited. 2.5/5

skiboydoggy
20th March 2006, 8:02 AM
Hmm... It is decent, in a world where White already lacks the flier spammage, and making it seem distinctly Blue alongside Sandsower...
But it's good.

Felix Feral Fezirix
20th March 2006, 3:19 PM
Actually Sandsower is more effective for tapping. And if you want white flying creatures go get that white 2/3 flyer with First-strike from Mirrodin. It's an uncommon. I believe you've seen it too many times Ski, since we play against each other often. ^_^ ANd it's only 4 mana.

skiboydoggy
21st March 2006, 9:39 AM
Did I say Sandsower was better? Noooo. I simply said they reminded me of Blue Cards.
When you disable, it used to be Blue but now is increasingly White as well.

klducks
21st March 2006, 11:44 PM
When you disable, it used to be Blue but now is increasingly White as well.
Indeed.

Leonin Bola further proves your point.

Felix Feral Fezirix
22nd March 2006, 6:28 AM
Well, Leonin Bola is an artifact, can be reused, is cheap and therefore annoying. But this card is annoying enough. Suppose your opponent only has one creature with Flying or can block flying of the field, and you keep tapping that creature and get a free 3 damage on your opponent. Now that's great.

klducks
23rd March 2006, 6:56 AM
Well, Leonin Bola is an artifact, can be reused, is cheap and therefore annoying. But this card is annoying enough. Suppose your opponent only has one creature with Flying or can block flying of the field, and you keep tapping that creature and get a free 3 damage on your opponent. Now that's great.
I'm just saying that tapping is leaning towards white, instead of blue.

Seeing as Leonin = lion = white.

Felix Feral Fezirix
28th March 2006, 11:05 AM
True. Doesn't help now, what with them telling you to lock down your opponent with Sandsower before giving your opponent a good hard whack in that Selesnya strategy fold-out that comes with the theme deck. Watch out people, we might end up fighting a white tapping deck someday.....

skiboydoggy
30th March 2006, 1:19 PM
Erm... Which defeats the whole purpose of Blue's disabling. Why spend singular spells countering another singular spell when you can just use a single enchantment/creature to pwn all?