PDA

View Full Version : Talking A Good Game! (446)

Serebii
23rd March 2006, 3:07 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/446.jpgTalking A Good Game!

Ash is finally at the Battle Tower, wanting his 6th Battle Frontier victory. However he gets chased off by a pack of Wild Beedrill and ends up meeting up with Anabel. Ash eagerly challenges Anabel to a battle, but with Anabel having strong Psychic Pokémon...Ash faces his toughest match yet.

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/446.shtml)

Discuss

Pikachu
23rd March 2006, 10:20 PM
I know a few things for sure:

-Ash uses Tauros, Pikachu, and Corphish

-Anabel uses Metagross and Alakazam

-Ash loses (YAY!)

Flamez
23rd March 2006, 10:27 PM
As if we didnt already know those things Pikachu.

Korobooshi Kojiro
23rd March 2006, 10:31 PM
From what I heard, Alakazam beats Corphish and Tauros, Pikachu beats Alakazam and loses to Metagross. Supposedly Anabel's other Pokemon...is Espeon..

Kabuto
23rd March 2006, 10:50 PM
Espeon >_>. Thats not shown that often but Gardevoir would've been a better choice. And of course poor Tauros doesn't get any glory with a victory.

Pikachu
23rd March 2006, 11:03 PM
I really hope she really does have Espeon. It will make me very happy even though her Snorlax will probably be never shown.

And it's a great thing that Anabel totally pwned Ash. This is great episode material. I also want Espeon to KO at least one of Ash' pokemon in the next episode, if she has an Espeon.

Kabuto
23rd March 2006, 11:04 PM
Her Espeon is better than another Snorlax thats for sure.

The Big Al
24th March 2006, 12:01 AM
Poor Tauros got the shaft. I guess romping around and destroying Oak's fences doesn't have as much of an impact. Then Corphish got frakked as well. And of course Pikachu is the only one to get a victory before he too is flattened. It's great to see Ash isn't immortal in the Battle Frontier but this battle could have been better.

Alfonso
24th March 2006, 12:05 AM
...Espeon?

Damn Eevee Evolution. And we're going to be seeing it again much sooner, considering that Lillian has one and the dub of the Saffron Contest is coming up. :< Another pathetically wasted chance with a Pokemon that's been seen plenty of times before.

Gardevoir seriously would have been the perfect choice. I mean... she even has kinda the same hair style as Anabel. o_o

CyberCubed
24th March 2006, 12:09 AM
Now let's hope Brandon has Gardevoir...until the time comes and its shafted again! :o

Either that or have May face one in a Contest already, sheesh.

I think Ash is going to be using the same Pokemon in the rematch as this ep, so Tauros may get some time to shine in the next ep.

Mawile XD
24th March 2006, 12:12 AM
Gardevoir seriously would have been the perfect choice. I mean... she even has kinda the same hair style as Anabel. o_o

LOL. I agree. It's shafted a lot, and doesn't get any good eps.

Anyway, poor Tauros loses? It never wins huge matches! Oh well. After Pokemon The First Movie, you know what to expect after Mewtwo beat up the Tauros herd. Anyway, Pikachu wins too much. Losing to Metagross is good for it. :)

The Great Butler
24th March 2006, 12:28 AM
Lots of people were saying Espeon would be a good choice for her team. Now that it appears she *does* have one, the whining about Gardevoir returns.

Sigh.......

At least she completely OWNED Ash like I had hoped. He never had a chance. Hopefully it doesn't get reversed in Ash vs. Anabel Part Two and we get a good, competitive battle straight through. The Tucker battle is a good example.

ghost master
24th March 2006, 1:19 AM
Lots of people were saying Espeon would be a good choice for her team. Now that it appears she *does* have one, the whining about Gardevoir returns. Not that many people said that was a good idea. Espeon is showcased quite alot and we know what its capable of. The majority werent for the idea. If May's eevee evolves to espeon ill just shoot myself on the spot. I'm sorry im tired of seeing espeon especially after just seeing it with lilian and we can still see it with lillian if the writers decided to.

Kabuto
24th March 2006, 2:37 AM
Yeah agreed GhostMaster. I wanted Gardevoir most and if not then Xatu the cooler less showcased Johto psychic.

Flamez
24th March 2006, 2:57 AM
Yeah xatu would've been good all the damn johto pokemon have been neglected especially a pokemon called uhhh whats the name DUNSPARCE.

CyberCubed
24th March 2006, 3:12 AM
The writers favor Kanto and Hoenn Pokemon. Johto Pokes are lucky if they get screentime nowadays.

JazzJazz
24th March 2006, 3:59 AM
Poor Tauros got the shaft. I guess romping around and destroying Oak's fences doesn't have as much of an impact.

From what I understand, fences don't yield too many experience points. Seriously though, when you think about it tauros is one of Ash's least experienced pokemon... it'd be awesome if he kept it on his team for a while.

I wonder if Anabel will use any different pokemon in the upcoming re-match...

The Flat World
24th March 2006, 9:54 AM
I hope she does... I'm not much of a fan of any of the pokemon Ash used in this battle.

Geodude
24th March 2006, 12:59 PM
She won't.

Great ep, Anabel turned out to be a telepath who can talk to Pokemon, and she uses that ability in battle. Gonna be interesting to see how Ash manages to overcome this.

I liked the introductory scene where she calmed that Gyarados and helped it, reminds me of Bruno when he did the same thing with that giant Onix...except without the telepathy. :p

Can someone tell us what Pikachu was saying to Anabel when she had it on her lap? That was such a cute scene.

Lupin
24th March 2006, 1:35 PM
The writers favor Kanto and Hoenn Pokemon. Johto Pokes are lucky if they get screentime nowadays.

Well we're getting a Sudowoodo episode coming up, be thankful for that.

HoennMaster
24th March 2006, 1:41 PM
Anabel turned out to be a telepath who can talk to Pokemon, and she uses that ability in battle.

a telepath, kinda of reminds me of Sabrina. Althougth an Espeon is a good pokemon for her I would still like Gardevoir

The Big Al
24th March 2006, 2:02 PM
Sabrina was a telekentic. At last we have another psionically inclined character. It's been what, eight years?

Shigeru-kun
24th March 2006, 3:10 PM
I knew I'd like this episode since it had my favorite brain, but I never expected to enjoy the battle!

For so long the gym/brain battles have come off as uninteresting to me, but this one I really liked. Just seeing Satoshi's pokemon getting knocked down again and again...kinda nice. The only thing that made me mad was Satoshi throwing himself into the wall like that. I understand it was done to show how close they are and junk, but had he not done that, I think it's pretty safe to say Pikachu would have been finished off there. Satoshi doing that almost seemed like a cheap way of writers keeping Pikachu in the battle.

Despite that though, I still loved the battle. I also loved watching Lila talk to Pikachu. It was so cute. ^^

I think the only thing that kinda bugged about this episode was that wonderful Gyarados error (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/Yurichan/error.jpg). Looks like someone gave it lipstick. xD

~Flareon~
24th March 2006, 3:28 PM
I really like this episode. I know Ash is facing off against the Battle Tower leader: Anabel. Anabel is using her Metagross and Alakazam. Ash will be using his Tauros, Pikachu and Corphish. I know Ash is going to lose this one. Because it is his toughest match ever. Maybe the next episode he practices with his Pokemons and then prepare for a re-match with Anabel. I know Anabel's 3rd Pokemon is Espeon.

Aldrius
24th March 2006, 3:40 PM
Lots of people were saying Espeon would be a good choice for her team. Now that it appears she *does* have one, the whining about Gardevoir returns.

...People aren't stupid. No one is going to go "WOW ESPEON, PERFECT CHOICE." and then when it's revealed to be Gardevoir go "EEVEELUTIONS?!SUX SEEN SO MUCH... GARDEVOIR BETTR."

I wonder who's gonna beat Metagross. It always seems to me like the anime likes for it to take 2-3 pokemon to take down one of it's level of power...

Brinstar
24th March 2006, 5:52 PM
Man, Tauros got owned hard. Hopefully it gets to redeem itself because that was just disgraceful :[

Jikkle
24th March 2006, 6:21 PM
Overall it was okay episode. I reallly hate how the writers do Ash's gym/frontier loses though. He comes in and just magically becomes stupid and his pokemon magically suck and he gets the owned. I wish they would make his loses competitive like they do league battle loses. I mean you start off charging with corphish and he gets wiped by psychic attacks so than you follow up with a tarous and have it charge in the same way and it gets wiped in the same way corphish does. So Ash is brilliant in some battles and completely falls apart into stupidity in others? It never made much sense the way the writers write this stuff up sometimes :p

Blazken
24th March 2006, 6:50 PM
Well sometime that happen I have done stuff like that.

And dose Ash learn to talk to his Pokemon Because it look like Anabel was theaching Asn how to.

vaporeon89
24th March 2006, 6:56 PM
Can anyone tell all the attacks Anabel's pokemon used?

;134;89

Dark_Scyther
24th March 2006, 7:09 PM
Alakazam
Psychic/Confusion(?)
Psybeam
Light Screen (?)
Focus Punch/Dynamic Punch

Metagross
Hyperbeam
Dynamic Punch/Meteor Mash(?)
Iron Defense (?)

skarmachild
24th March 2006, 8:26 PM
I really like this episode. I know Ash is facing off against the Battle Tower leader: Anabel. Anabel is using her Metagross and Alakazam. Ash will be using his Tauros, Pikachu and Corphish. I know Ash is going to lose this one. Because it is his toughest match ever. Maybe the next episode he practices with his Pokemons and then prepare for a re-match with Anabel. I know Anabel's 3rd Pokemon is Espeon.

You are unbeleivable.

Anyway, from the pictures a pretty boring episode it seems. Tauros get's K.O'd in one, and didn't really serve much use (sounds like Heracross). I doubt Corphish will evolve next episode too. Hope the next episode makes up for this episodes looking-boringness. I may change my opinion when I see it though.

PDL
24th March 2006, 8:33 PM
pretty ho-hum IMO...

I would have been far more interest had Gardevoir appeared :(

at least Beedrill and Gyarados didn't harass them as in other appearences...

giving Anabel psychic powers was a cool touch though...

John's Knight
24th March 2006, 8:34 PM
You are unbeleivable.

So is your SPAM <<
Well, saw the pictures...regular episode...some cool animations...Alakazam had some cool moves, if they weren't so 'normal'...

The Benmeister
24th March 2006, 8:38 PM
Gaah, poor Tauros. As a firm supporter of the 'Rights for Oakked' activist group, this is not my cup of tea.

Although the episode is pretty good. Plus, a rematch next episode. Hopefully we'll see some interesting stuff there. Also, Scott's never seen Ash lose before, wonder how he'll take that...

Flamez
24th March 2006, 8:47 PM
He saw ash lose to Agatha when he first met him, but was amazed that he put such a great fight against an elite 4 trainer, thats why he told him to take the battle frontier challenge.

Seen the episode and man Ash got owned, but really if you watch the episode and see how stupidly they had ash battle its no wonder he got owned. Ill break it down:
Telling corphish to charge in with Crabhammer, alakazam used confusion/psychic to stop it in its track. The same with Tauros, telling it to charge in takedown, and pikachu using thunderbolt on metagross and having it sent right back at him.

Anabel did have "perfect cooperation" with her pokemon ash was shown rushing in for attacks. When Tauros charged in with another take down and alakazam charged in with focus punch, anabel had her pokemon duck right at the last second and use focus punch almost the same way ash had grovyle duck and use leaf blade at kaede's walrein.

One thing i didnt understand is that when pikachu became confused and was about to use volt tackle on the wall how was it allowed for ash to stop it, he should've been disqualified for interfering with the attack, but ofcourse they would never do that and anabel is quite attached to ash and pikachu.
Overall i actually like this episode the animation and music were both very nice, just didn't like the fact that corphish and tauros didn't even get one hit in, but as i said before the way the writers had ash battle it was no surprise.

Oh and the last part where metagross used hyperbeam on pikachu the little pause they did with may,brock, and max shocked while scott had that big goofy smile on his face was priceless.

CyberCubed
24th March 2006, 8:48 PM
You know it would be nice if people didn't judge an episode by a bunch of random pictures. You get nothing outta that.

The Big Al
24th March 2006, 8:57 PM
Gah, the pedophile shows up everywhere. Doesn't he have other trainers to harass?

Pokemon Fan
24th March 2006, 9:47 PM
Gaah, poor Tauros. As a firm supporter of the 'Rights for Oakked' activist group, this is not my cup of tea.
Think of it this way. Losing means it gets some actual character development in the next episode.

I agree that we shouldn't judge the episode poorly based on screenshots, or consider Ash's losses dumb when we don't even know the dialogue used. Most likely he did make some dumb errors but only because he was so thrown off by Anabel's battle style. He's never faught someone who commanded their pokemon like that and had no idea just what to expect. Charging in may have been foolish but he couldn't just have them stand there either, as each of her pokemon seemed good and close and distant combat with physical and projectile attacks.

And really, Heracross's loss shouldn't be compared to Tauros.' Heracross battled evenly with Venusaur for some time, inflicting tons of damage. Venusaur just inflicted more.

Korobooshi Kojiro
24th March 2006, 9:54 PM
Hmm thoughts-
*The Beedrill had a family, I thought that was cute and added depth to a usual plot device. Gyrados was kinda random though, but it closed its mouth at one part!
*Anabel is very cute, and being psychic is cool. I gotta kind of a vibe that her and Ash...liked each other.
*Thier was a lot of music in this episode from the movies, mainly the seventh.
*Seviper and Cacnea hitting each other, lol.
*Is it me, or were the gang wondering why Scott wasn't their.
*Tauros better redeem itself (The preview does show it alot)
*ENGRISH ALERT! I think Anabel said "My friends" and Scott said "Tigh pinch".
*Nice battle, but the rematch shall be superior.
*Scott had a evil grin when Pikachu lost..

Magical Leaf
24th March 2006, 9:57 PM
daww, Ash and Anabel look kinda cute together. This ship needs a name, stat!

And Weedle! That alone makes the episode worth watching, if the rest wasn't enough.

Poor Tauros, beaten so badly after so long, at least he gets the next episode to redeem himself, unlike Heracross.

JazzJazz
24th March 2006, 10:02 PM
And really, Heracross's loss shouldn't be compared to Tauros.' Heracross battled evenly with Venusaur for some time, inflicting tons of damage. Venusaur just inflicted more.

It's a bit sad that tauros will get its chance to redeem itself, but heracross has returned to Oak's with the bitter taste of defeat still lingering...

S.Suikun
24th March 2006, 10:12 PM
...Anabel? ...Telepath? ...She just instantly shot up to the #2 slot in my fav. anime girls list, right behind Kaede (Sorry Kanata, you're now #3, but I still love you too). The fact that she whooped Ash in a 3 vs. 3 match only using 2 Pokemon makes it all the better. Can't wait to see this episode in action. I'll add further comments then.

Korobooshi Kojiro
24th March 2006, 10:34 PM
Is it me...or does Ash and Rira seem to have a "thing" going on...

Oh btw, iirc, Ash didn't realize she was a girl till she told him. LOl

CyberCubed
24th March 2006, 10:35 PM
Oh btw, iirc, Ash didn't realize she was a girl till she told him. LOL.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Either Ash is dense or the writers love playing a cruel joke on Anabel's character.

Korobooshi Kojiro
24th March 2006, 10:42 PM
But then, neither did May, Max, or Brock it seems, and doesn't Brock have the power of Gender distiguation?

Anabel also said "Boku" which usually only boys use.

V Faction
24th March 2006, 10:48 PM
"You can speak telepathically to animals?!"

*group gasp*

"You're a boy?!"

*group gasp*

"You're the Battle Frontier Brain?!"

*group gasp*

...Man does that get old

Anabel? More like Dr. Dolittle.

Pikachu
24th March 2006, 10:53 PM
This episode it's the best episode ever!! Why?:

-Anabel (the best frontier brain, IMO) gets to wipe the floor with Ash and beat him like some trainer in the GBA Battlke Frontier who uses NU circuit/underevolved pokemon (like Paras and Flaaffy, no offence)

-Scott smiling when Ash loses..... That Scott is so cool.

-Tauros and Corphish get defeated rather easily by Alakazam. And how often do you see a Alakazam defeat a Tauros, Not too likely in NB.

-Pikachu was the only victorious pokemon in Ash's side. Makes me happy because Pikachu is my favorite main character in the anime.

-Even though Pikachu loses to it, Metagross gets some retribution from the last battle against Pikachu (the pokemon in general).

-We get to see Anabel's house in this episode.

-Anabel is always in sync with her pokemon, not to mention she is psychic.

Even though Ash wins the next match, I'm still looking foward to it. The next episode will be very promising. Espeon v.s. Pikachu, Anabel, Espeon, so much to look foward to.

S.Suikun
24th March 2006, 11:26 PM
All right, seen the episode. Ya know, Ash may have lost some matches here and there, but this is truly the first time since the Sabrina match that he completely got the floor wiped off him (unless you count the Drake match, which was more of a "for fun" battle). Not only did Anabel not even need the full 3 Pokemon, but Metagross hardly even had to do anything, as Pikachu was so weak from battling Alakazam. The reason this battle is so tough for him is that Anabel commands her Pokemon telepathically instead of shouting themn, so Ash never knows what to expect. I'm surprised Ash wasn't sent flying through the wall with the force of the Volt Tackle. The animation may have been craptacular, but the music was fantastic. Lots of stuff pulled from Movie 7, and no obnoxious vocals, either. Meteor Mash looked WAY different than the one Tyson's Metagross used, though.

Kabuto
24th March 2006, 11:31 PM
Everything to everyone is shipping >_>. Shipping is absolutely pointless in about every way possible. Anyway, Ash is proven to be miraculously smart before but now a stupid kid who charged into Anabels attacks. Good job writers >_>.

ghost master
24th March 2006, 11:47 PM
I didnt like this episode too much. If you take away the telepathy from Anabel she's any other generic anime character personality wise and her looks dont exactly make up for her somewhat bland personality. The battle was ok I guess Ash needs to have a loss somewhere. Was I the only one who didnt even notice Scott until at the end when Ash lost. I was looking through and then I some him at the end and I never noticed him before. At least we will see something different by having Ash lose. So far my two fav. facilities have been palace and pike. Palace was because they made Lucy into an awesome character and the Brock & Lucy shipping was good. Spencer had the most amazing battle and most original out of all of them. Anyway the progression of the episode was really sluggish maybe thats why I didnt like it.

S.Suikun
24th March 2006, 11:55 PM
Everything to everyone is shipping >_>. Shipping is absolutely pointless in about every way possible. Anyway, Ash is proven to be miraculously smart before but now a stupid kid who charged into Anabels attacks. Good job writers >_>.
Agreed with the first point. Let's kill Towershipping before it truly gets started.
The reason Ash charged his attacks was because he had no idea what the hell Anabel was attacking with, since she ordered all her attacks telepathically. He had no idea what to expect.

Blaziken master
25th March 2006, 12:02 AM
All right, seen the episode. Ya know, Ash may have lost some matches here and there, but this is truly the first time since the Sabrina match that he completely got the floor wiped off him (unless you count the Drake match, which was more of a "for fun" battle). Not only did Anabel not even need the full 3 Pokemon, but Metagross hardly even had to do anything, as Pikachu was so weak from battling Alakazam. The reason this battle is so tough for him is that Anabel commands her Pokemon telepathically instead of shouting themn, so Ash never knows what to expect. I'm surprised Ash wasn't sent flying through the wall with the force of the Volt Tackle. The animation may have been craptacular, but the music was fantastic. Lots of stuff pulled from Movie 7, and no obnoxious vocals, either. Meteor Mash looked WAY different than the one Tyson's Metagross used, though.

Yeah it had a star shaped design to it this time
Anyhow the fights were okay, it was good to see pikachu get owned and by a pokemon it beat before.Poor corphish and tauros.Hopefully both of them will get redemption

JazzJazz
25th March 2006, 12:51 AM
Everything to everyone is shipping >_>. Shipping is absolutely pointless in about every way possible.

I wholeheartedly agree, it seems people like to jump on every possible character/pokemon pairing and call it shipping.

The Great Butler
25th March 2006, 1:57 AM
daww, Ash and Anabel look kinda cute together. This ship needs a name, stat!

Already did. The ship of Anabel+Ash has been happily dubbed, by me, as PsychicShipping. Even more appropriate now that I know of Anabel's talent.

Geodude
25th March 2006, 2:27 AM
It's also called TowerShipping, as stated already. That seems more appropriate to me...PsychicShipping seems too general.

S.Suikun
25th March 2006, 2:36 AM
It's also called TowerShipping, as stated already. That seems more appropriate to me...PsychicShipping seems too general.
Actually, I just made that name up as I typed it. ._.

The Great Butler
25th March 2006, 2:41 AM
Yeah, TowerShipping's better......and it seems more likely than most random shippings we come up with. [/wayofftopic]

.Bambi.
25th March 2006, 2:49 AM
They thought Anabel was a BOY?! Oh, the hilarity. I needed that...like, SERIOUSLY. If only they'd done that with Bugsy...

Judging from pictures, the episode actually looks pretty decent. The Beedrill Attack was incredibly overdramatized in the episode summary, as this was just one angry Beedrill and not a swarm.

The battle looked pretty good as well, as we haven't seen Ash get taken down a peg in a while. Though Alakazam and Metagross...guh. Seeing Tauros again makes me want to see more of it [which is a good thing as we are next episode]. I'll have to comment on it when I see it in motion.

One more thing though, the fact that Bubblebeam broke Team Rocket's net. WTF?
Yeah, that'd work...if the net was made out of soap >.> Razor Leaf, Leaf Blade, Wing Attack, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace; all those make sense. But Bubblebeam? That makes me 'lolwut?'

Geodude
25th March 2006, 3:03 AM
Can someone tell us what Pikachu was saying to Anabel when she had it on her lap? That was such a cute scene.
Anyone? Never got an answer.

V Faction
25th March 2006, 3:04 AM
One more thing though, the fact that Bubblebeam broke Team Rocket's net. WTF?
Yeah, that'd work...if the net was made out of soap >.> Razor Leaf, Leaf Blade, Wing Attack, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace; all those make sense. But Bubblebeam? That makes me 'lolwut?'
****, after all this time, ANYTHING can sever those blasted nets. Just like any attack can explode for no apparent reason on contact.

Geodude
25th March 2006, 3:20 AM
We've seen Bubblebeam break TR's metal arms before--you know, the ones with the rubber hands on the ends.

.Bambi.
25th March 2006, 3:42 AM
We've seen Bubblebeam break TR's metal arms before--you know, the ones with the rubber hands on the ends.
Well, yeah, but at least that makes some sense. I can see metal arms being broken off if under enough pressure [especially since the ones Team Rocket use are scaled and not solid, right?] A net or rope, however, requires cutting to break.

Kater
25th March 2006, 4:41 AM
Isn't this Season 10, nyway I thought this episode was really good. It showed how even Satoshi loses sometimes and he isnt as great as everyone thinks. I thought the battle was great and this is one of the best Battle Frontier eps.

HoennMaster
25th March 2006, 4:48 AM
Ash got his butt totally kicked, (finally!) I can't wait to see the next episode. So Anabel was a guy right?

CyberCubed
25th March 2006, 5:05 AM
So Anabel was a guy right?

No, it's a girl who looks like a boy! :o

Anyway, the second episode makes her look MUCH more feminine, so there's no mistaking it. She really looks cute in the next episode, maybe they made her look like a boy in this one on purpose.

HoennMaster
25th March 2006, 5:40 AM
okay, I read that she was a guy in the original so I asked

.Bambi.
25th March 2006, 5:46 AM
okay, I read that she was a guy in the original so I asked
Well, it was mentioned earlier in this Thread that Ash mistook Anabel for a boy, so you must have got that confused with her actually being a boy.

Besides, whoever names their son Anabel should be shot...by their son, Anabel :O

pikachu146
25th March 2006, 7:08 AM
Finally,we can see Ash losing against a frontier leader the first time.He loses cause he used Tarous,a pokemon he hadn't train a lot,and a Corphish.(If corphish evolves,Ash might win) Pikachu beats Alakazam,but loses against Metagross.Too bad Ash doesn't have a counter to psychics.
I wonder how Ash will win the rematch in the next episode?

.::Lynee::.
25th March 2006, 8:01 AM
She looks like a boy and that makes her special.
Uhm, about the battle: I feel she's worth winning because actually she's stronger than Ash ( u know, can order her pokemon without saying a word )

Wind Waker
25th March 2006, 9:58 AM
I knew Ash would loose, which was good but how he lost was awesome! Take that Ash! seriously, he needed that and thankfully, Anabel didn't give him the symbol out of pity or for 'saving' the tower. Now with Ash determined to improve, maybe the battle in the next episode will reflect that.

Yamato-san
25th March 2006, 3:29 PM
Geodude, to answer your question, Pikachu was telling Lila that he really likes Satoshi, however, Satoshi's major flaw is that he acts unreasonable sometimes.

*Is it me, or were the gang wondering why Scott wasn't their.
*ENGRISH ALERT! I think Anabel said "My friends" and Scott said "Tigh pinch".

Yeah, Lila says "Go, my friend!" whenever she releases one of her Pokemon. I don't remember when Enishida said "tight pinch", though. Speaking of Enishida, yes, they were wondering where he was when they first got to the Battle Tower. When he does appear, I think there's some kind of animation error, because you hear his voice, but all you see of him is the very edge of his arm and shirt sleeve at the side of the screen. It's like this for a few seconds, and then the rest of him kinda pops into the screen. Anyone else notice this?

But then, neither did May, Max, or Brock it seems, and doesn't Brock have the power of Gender distiguation?

Anabel also said "Boku" which usually only boys use.

I think Takeshi wouldn't be able to distinguish since Lila seems to be pretty young (the guy's not into jailbait, as evidenced by Haruka and Kasumi travelling around with them). I found that to be a pretty funny scene when Lila revealed she's a girl, by the way. Satoshi hands her his hat and jacket to dry, and he asks her if she'll change as well. She says she'll do so when they get out, leaving Satoshi to assume she's embarassed of Haruka. Lila tells him she's a girl afterwards.

And now, for some of my seiyuu obsessings (the third time for a Brain episode, interestingly enough). I particularly like the character Seiryuu no Kibachiyo (from Onmyou Taisenki), he seems playful, yet rather macho and mature at the same time. I've had interests in hearing his seiyuu perform in a different role (looking around, I see that the guy's list is very (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=27068) short (http://www.tcp.com/doi-bin/seiyuu-lookup.pl?DB=ALL&value=katsu+anri)), and I got my wish in the form of Masa, the Battle Tower's judge. ^^

Gravy
25th March 2006, 3:54 PM
So, if Anabel has the ability to speak to pokémon, why on earth is she wasting that talent on using it for battling purposes only? Surely a skill such as that would be iinfinitely more important in the scientific community? Think of all the unsolved mysteries that could be resolved just by asking the pokémon themselves about their lifestyles and habitats. And the bridges that could be built to strengthen pokémon and human relationships.

But apart from that, I thought the decision to make her a psychic was a pretty nice idea. It makes her a much more interesting character and manages to bring a different style of battling into play.
Despite pretty the pretty lame attempts at animation, I thought the battle played out pretty well. Ash didn't come out of it looking like a total moron or anything, because he just didn't know what the hell to expect from his opponent. And the fact that he actually did manage to take down one of Anabel's team mates before having Pikachu getting masacred by that Hyper Beam only served to make the loss a little more believable. Granted, it probably could have been handled a lot better than it was, but it works for me regardless.

When he does appear, I think there's some kind of animation error, because you hear his voice, but all you see of him is the very edge of his arm and shirt sleeve at the side of the screen. It's like this for a few seconds, and then the rest of him kinda pops into the screen. Anyone else notice this?
I noticed it, but I just chalked it up to my media player screwing up. The animation in this episode was pretty poor anyway, so I guess little quirks like that should be expected. Like, I dunno...Haruka's pokéball logo on her bandana not being drawn in.

Geodude
25th March 2006, 4:08 PM
Think of all the unsolved mysteries that could be resolved just by asking the pokémon themselves about their lifestyles and habitats. And the bridges that could be built to strengthen pokémon and human relationships.
Meowth could do that kind of thing as well, if TR ever decides to turn good. Fanfic material there...

V Faction
25th March 2006, 4:27 PM
Did we ever find out what move Alakazam was using to counter Thunderbolt?

Geodude
25th March 2006, 4:33 PM
You mean when it was glowing? It was jikosaisei--Recover.

Sceptile Warrior
25th March 2006, 6:52 PM
Anabel's star pokemon is most likely espeon and i expect the final battle will be espeon vs. pikachu but why does pikachu have to be the star of the battle why can't taurus be the star

Gravy
25th March 2006, 7:05 PM
Meowth could do that kind of thing as well, if TR ever decides to turn good. Fanfic material there...
Actually, now that you mention it, I found it odd that Anabel didn't seem to make any comment on Meowth's ability to talk. Well, nobody ever seems to anyway, but with the way they emphasised her communication skills...
Bah, maybe the next episode will bring it up.

but why does pikachu have to be the star of the battle why can't taurus be the star
Probably has something to do with the fact that Venus was not alligned with Mars, thus disorientating it's cosmic aura. Though it's said that he will be lucky in love this week.

JazzJazz
25th March 2006, 9:58 PM
why does pikachu have to be the star of the battle why can't taurus be the star

You're only asking this now? How many years has the show been going where the battles usually result in pikachu being the star?

Dark Cacturne
25th March 2006, 10:07 PM
Wow!! Anabel is really pretty, I can't wait to see her in the next episode. I first thought Spencer was my favourite Battle Frontier brain, but now I changed my mind. It is anabel definitly! That battle was amazing; too bad that anabel will lose in the next episode, but she did it fantastic this time.

PS: Her alakazam is awesome!!

Pokemon Fan
26th March 2006, 1:03 AM
So, if Anabel has the ability to speak to pokémon, why on earth is she wasting that talent on using it for battling purposes only? Surely a skill such as that would be iinfinitely more important in the scientific community? Think of all the unsolved mysteries that could be resolved just by asking the pokémon themselves about their lifestyles and habitats. And the bridges that could be built to strengthen pokémon and human relationships.
That's not really an issue I think. Since pokemon can understand human speech a lot of the stuff you mentioned can be figured out by simply asking a Pokemon to show them.

And when it came to knowing various secrets, using telepathy may not be any better than asking, since a lot of these secrets are things the pokemon don't want humans to know (i.e. humans not being allowed at the Bulbasaur evolution festival) or only want certain humans to know. Telepathy may be helpful, but its no shortcut to understanding pokemon.

Torkoal Stu
26th March 2006, 10:33 AM
Actually, now that you mention it, I found it odd that Anabel didn't seem to make any comment on Meowth's ability to talk. Well, nobody ever seems to anyway, but with the way they emphasised her communication skills...
Bah, maybe the next episode will bring it up.
Oak, Gary and Tracey did comment on Meowth when they first heard it talk but then again they were all either doing it for research or just were in awe about it.

I'm glad Ash got totally owned by Anabel, its about time he lost and I mean lost badly. Sadly a Gardevior owning Ash would of been much more entertaining.

That's not really an issue I think. Since pokemon can understand human speech a lot of the stuff you mentioned can be figured out by simply asking a Pokemon to show them.

And when it came to knowing various secrets, using telepathy may not be any better than asking, since a lot of these secrets are things the pokemon don't want humans to know (i.e. humans not being allowed at the Bulbasaur evolution festival) or only want certain humans to know. Telepathy may be helpful, but its no shortcut to understanding pokemon.
Just to add that Pokemon can be very protective, who says they would tell Anabel or any human for that matter. Like Gardevior and Kirlia were super protective, as well as those Jynx from the last episode (or episode before that?) if you get my drift they could use telepathy to talk to Pokemon and discover new facts but their is nothing solid to say they will actually tell them, or for that matter they could lie.

Heracross
26th March 2006, 11:00 AM
Oak, Gary and Tracey did comment on Meowth when they first heard it talk but then again they were all either doing it for research or just were in awe about it.
There were actually a few people back in Kanto who noticed Nyasu's odd talent, but apperently after a while the writers didn't feel the need to go over it again every time they were around someone new.

skarmachild
26th March 2006, 3:57 PM
I have a real personal disliking for Umbreon + Espeon. They are being far too overused and extremely boring in appearence. Gardevoir is beautiful and powerful, unlike Espeon. (Opinion)

Kabuto
26th March 2006, 8:57 PM
Wow, Ash mistaked Anabel for a boy? Funniest thing since Ash thought Mr. Goodshow was Santa Claus. Anyway, glad Metagross took the win and not Alakazam. Still Ash's Pikachu already beat a Metagross and now it loses to one. I hate when the writers do this. I know Anabel's has more experience but still.

xSabre
27th March 2006, 2:29 AM
I like the fact that Anabel is a Psychic Trainer very much. It's cool that she can communicate with Pokemon mentally.

Geodude
27th March 2006, 3:11 AM
Anyway, glad Metagross took the win and not Alakazam. Still Ash's Pikachu already beat a Metagross and now it loses to one. I hate when the writers do this. I know Anabel's has more experience but still.
And you're completely ignoring the obvious fact that Pikachu was already exhausted from battling Alakazam why exactly?

Dephender
27th March 2006, 1:05 PM
I think Takeshi wouldn't be able to distinguish since Lila seems to be pretty young (the guy's not into jailbait, as evidenced by Haruka and Kasumi travelling around with them).

He did see that Imite was a girl when no one else did.

KuwabaraTheMan
27th March 2006, 11:22 PM
Wow, I was suprised when they all were shocked she was a girl.

Nice to see Satoshi get humilated every once in awhile. Kentaurous will get his revenge next week, so I don't mind him and Heigani getting beat.

HoennMaster
28th March 2006, 5:46 AM
I'm glad she is using Espeon because I love Espeon but still Gardevoir has gotten barely any air time! It was like what 2 minutes total in Do I Hear a Ralts?

the legend master
15th November 2006, 5:12 AM
ive heard of all the craptastic abilityshipping in this episode.
i hate that pairing. is it true?

Geodude
15th November 2006, 5:47 AM
Of course not, but there's certainly enough justification for a ship to be created.

I'm interested to see how they'll handle the "gender surprise" in the dub. I could be wrong, but IIRC, they already knew Lila's name in the original before realizing she was female, but the English name Anabel is obviously a female name. So if she says her name in the dub before the gang realizes she's actually a girl, it'll seem kind of odd. Hopefully they tweaked the dialogue if necessary so that she only says her name afterward.

the legend master
15th November 2006, 5:50 AM
i really hate the pairing

CyberCubed
15th November 2006, 5:50 AM
Does it matter? It's not like we'll ever see Anabel again.

Geodude
15th November 2006, 6:06 AM
What's with the attitude? It only makes sense to want the episodes to be well-done and to want things to...um, make sense. :p

BattleFranky~40
15th November 2006, 6:08 AM
i really hate the pairing

For being one of the few shippings that actually have something to support it?

CyberCubed
15th November 2006, 6:08 AM
If you're talking to me, I was talking about the guy whining about Abilityshipping, not you.

Geodude
15th November 2006, 6:10 AM
Oh, right.

the legend master, either give an intelligent reason or lay off the spam.

the legend master
15th November 2006, 3:40 PM
im a girl, suckers.
anyway, i was asking if i should wacth the episode.

Geodude
15th November 2006, 10:57 PM
Who wouldn't want to watch an episode about a human that can talk to Pokemon telepathically?

BattleFranky~40
16th November 2006, 12:41 AM
im a girl, suckers.
anyway, i was asking if i should wacth the episode.

Wait. Why would you hate Abilityshipping if you haven't even watched the episodes featuring Lila?

Almighty Zard
16th November 2006, 12:46 AM
Who wouldn't want to watch an episode about a human that can talk to Pokemon telepathically?

Or Ash getting descimated in combat always fun

Lishus13
17th November 2006, 3:46 AM
Well, I haven't seen this episode, but I just love watching Ash get a good thrashing, it doesn't exactly have to be in Pokemon though >_>

Haha, just kidding, but seriously? What's next? With 4Kids, Anabel would've changed the gang into puppets and Ash would have to go to Purple Town to get a Duskull.

Can't Wait!

rune the 1st
17th November 2006, 3:53 AM
but 4kids is not dubbing anymore...

BattleFranky~40
17th November 2006, 3:55 AM
but 4kids is not dubbing anymore...

Which is probably why he said "would've". As in, would have if not for the fact that they don't dub it anymore.

Try to read next time.

CabbyFish
17th November 2006, 3:56 AM
Uhh... 4Kids isn't dubbing the series anymore. The licencing inhouse has moved.

I have seen the Japanese version of this episode and I thoughed it was a good one. One thing I still hope for though. Anabell beter have a good dub voice just like all the other frontier brains.

BattleFranky~40
17th November 2006, 3:57 AM
Uhh... 4Kids isn't dubbing the series anymore. The licencing inhouse has moved.

I have seen the Japanese version of this episode and I thoughed it was a good one. One thing I still hope for though. Anabell beter have a good dub voice just like all the other frontier brains.

Which is probably why he said "would've". As in, would have if not for the fact that they don't dub it anymore.

Try to read next time.

You guys never cease to amuse me.

eonteam123456
17th November 2006, 9:10 AM
I'd say Metagross was Anabel's coolest Pokemon.

CabbyFish
19th November 2006, 1:18 AM
Regarding two posts up... I made a mistake when I read and forgot to relook it over. Oops...

Metagross
25th November 2006, 3:41 PM
Does anyone else the new voices are retarded i want the old voices back.

Geodude
25th November 2006, 3:49 PM
1) Not going to happen.

2) There are already established threads to talk about voices. This is not the place for that. Whining about voices ends here and now.

Korobooshi Kojiro
25th November 2006, 3:52 PM
I liked how they kept Anabel's gender a secret like in the original.

CharizardMaster
25th November 2006, 3:58 PM
lol Brock said Touros weighs a ton... It doesn't even way 200 lbs.

Juputoru
25th November 2006, 4:20 PM
lol Brock said Touros weighs a ton... It doesn't even way 200 lbs.
Horray for not understanding figures of speech!

...I'm not the only one who knows people who sometimes refer to heavy things in general as weighing a ton, right? And come to think of it, many Pokemon's dex weights seem ridiculously low. You have this large, muscular bull and it hardly weighs more than a somewhat fat person? Come on.

I missed the first half of the ep, but that was still enough for me to say this:
-Yay for keeping the gender ambiguity!
-Eh at Anabel's voice. It didn't impress me at first, but it grows on you by the end of the episode.
-They kept in the thing with Anabel saying "my friend" before sending out a Pokemon. Nice.
-I'm STILL not used to the idea of saying Metagross as "Meta-GROHSS"(rhymes with "ew, liver is sooooo gross"), as opposed to Meta-GRAHSS(rhymes with...the "awes" in awesome, sort of. Best I could come up with, so you have to live with it!). Eh, not that it matters.
-The whole "Anabel only senses the FEELINGS of Pokemon, not talks to them" thing at first and her psychicly talking to them later thing is confusing. Sure they TRY to explain it by saying that her Pokemon feel or sense or whatever what she wants them to do, but come on. Just say she talks with Pokemon, it'd make everyone's life easier!

CyberCubed
25th November 2006, 6:09 PM
"Talkin' a good game" surprised me, at least with Anabel's voice. I didn't expect her to sound like that. I see they tried to make her sound somewhat like a boy which is why the gang was shocked that she was a girl, but she did sound more feminine than notl.

This is the first Frontier Brain match that Ash actually loses. Corphish and Tauros were taken down rather quickly, and Pikachu was owned by Metagross. (has flashbacks of Pikachu Vs. Metagross in Hoenn league).

Nice battle, its been a while since Ash was totally creamed in a match.

Darkness Angel
25th November 2006, 6:33 PM
Anabel seems pretty cool.

SucKa XD
25th November 2006, 7:01 PM
I thought this was an alright episode. Not the best but it wasn't too bad. It was also nice to see Ash use Tauros

Hikarii
25th November 2006, 7:01 PM
I had relatives over with their voices blaring in the background so I couldn't quite hear what Anabel said when everyone became surprised. Could someone pull the dialogue out for me? XDD

All I heard was Ash saying, "Why? Because May's here?"

rubyrulez
25th November 2006, 7:19 PM
I had relatives over with their voices blaring in the background so I couldn't quite hear what Anabel said when everyone became surprised. Could someone pull the dialogue out for me? XDD

She was telling everyone that she was a girl.

S.Suikun
25th November 2006, 7:22 PM

Ash was asking Anabel why she wouldn't remove her clothes in front of everybody. Pretty touchy for a kids' show.

I don't see why they were reluctant to use the word' telepathy" at all in this episode. "Sensing the feelings of Pokemon" sounds far more ambiguous.

Also, the music was partly what made the battle in the original. I was especially disappointed in the exclusion of the Movie 7 music, especially since they kept it for the Deoxys special (even if that was to purposely reference the Deoxys movie itself).

I'll discuss Anabel's voice in the VA thread.

jolteonjak
25th November 2006, 10:23 PM
I don't see why they were reluctant to use the word' telepathy" at all in this episode. "Sensing the feelings of Pokemon" sounds far more ambiguous.

Would Anabel not be considered an empath...not a telepath (is that a word)?

I'll discuss Anabel's voice in the VA thread.

As will I.

This served as a decent introduction for Anabel. Tauros was one of the Oak'ed Pokemon I least expected (along with teh Muk) to see. But I'm glad to see it. Beedrill kept is original voice again which was cool.

Medea
25th November 2006, 11:11 PM
*sigh*...Ash you dipsh_t!

Okay, pretty interesting episode overall. First off, I didn't really expect Anabel's voice to sound like that. But it was pretty good (guess I can try to work around this...um nothing). Anabel, even though I think she is a future homewrecker, she is an all around cool frontier brain. Every once and a while, I do enjoy seeing Ash lose in a gym/frontier battle and as far as I remember, the last one was to...Brawly? (I'm not including elite four members). But good battle, what a wipe out!

WaterDragon trainer
26th November 2006, 1:14 AM
This episode was pretty good. I kinda expected Anabel to have a more feminine voice compared to the one she has. It was cool to see Tauros again. I just kinda felt that Metagross had a bad new voice.

Scizor22
26th November 2006, 2:28 AM
they make such a big deal in the end when he loses the narriator says "Is this the end of ash and his battleing?" He just lost ig woop. I am glad ash isnt like Yugi who never loses Ash actually loses some

legendarypokemonjunkie17
26th November 2006, 2:34 AM
I live in NJ and none of the Battle Frontier Episodes have aired here. I do know that Brandon has the Regis and the legendary birds, or at least that is what the Serebii Anime guide says.

legendarypokemonjunkie17
26th November 2006, 2:38 AM
I did'nt watch Yu-Gi-Oh much but Yugi did lose some like in the second episode and against Kaiba towards the end of Duelist Kingdom. He also lost in the beginning of the season where he loses the egyptian god cards and has to duel for them. Remember how he loses to that guy's gaurdian cards?

BattleFranky~40
26th November 2006, 2:38 AM
I live in NJ and none of the Battle Frontier Episodes have aired here. I do know that Brandon has the Regis and the legendary birds, or at least that is what the Serebii Anime guide says.
Where does it say that Jindai has the legendary birds?

C.J. Ray
26th November 2006, 4:42 AM
He's probably confusing the game with the anime. Brandon fights you with Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres when you go for the Gold Bravery symbol.

Rapiido
26th November 2006, 6:29 AM
That voice I think REALLY suited her. =D Why did they get so conufsed with her gender? o_O She's all purple with purple hair.. and eyelashes. XD

Ashy Boy
26th November 2006, 2:35 PM
Since there's no summary on the Serebii site, what did Jessie say throughout the whole episode?

BTW, how good was Anabel's dub voice?

Juputoru
26th November 2006, 3:36 PM
=D Why did they get so conufsed with her gender? o_O She's all purple with purple hair.. and eyelashes. XD
Well, her hair's roughly the same shade as James's hair(and he's male, for those of you slow on the uptake), and her clothes are fairly unisex(guys are perfectly allowed to wear purple, as Drew demonstrates, and the design in general doesn't really point one way or the other...nor does that hairdo), and she doesn't really have a chest, and I doubt that typical "female" anime eyelashes would stick out that much to the characters, so...

wobbanut
26th November 2006, 11:01 PM
The twerps couldn't tell Anabel was a girl.... that was weird beyond belief. :o Yes, I can see how they'd be mistaken, but Anabel sounds like a girl if anything else. Her voice actor did a pretty good job. It's interesting to see that she could understand pokemon in a way, it reminded me of the guy from "The Poke-Spokesman". The battle between Anabel and Ash was something else too. Usually Ash when Ash gets beaten, both sides go through all their pokemon before the match ends, but Anabel didn't even get to her third pokemon before it ended. That was different.

Overall the episode was pretty good, but I'm looking forward more to part two next week. I can't wait for the part with Ash/Corphish/Tauros's freakout. :D

7/10 for me. At least Tuesday I'll get to see the Deoxys special finally.

CabbyFish
26th November 2006, 11:34 PM
This was a great episode. As far as Anabel's voice goes, I left my thoughts about that where it belongs. Not major trouble though. It was nice to finally know what Anabel was saying to her pokemon with her telepathy (watched the Japanese version months earlier). What really knocked Ash down was that he became overconfident again, and he forgot to keep his cool. Didn't he learn not to do that from his battle with Drake of the elite four? As far as I'm concerned, Anabel really likes/loves trainers who are willing to go the extra mile to protect their pokemon from harm. Good for you! Now if only Jessie could learn that.

Geodude
27th November 2006, 1:18 AM
I think they did a good job with Anabel. It was rather important to give her a voice that didn't immediately betray her gender, and that was done decently. But I do agree that the whole thing about how she "only senses the feelings of Pokemon" was a load of crap, because anyone could see that she was clearly talking to them telepathically. As others have already mentioned, I also liked how they even kept Anabel's "Go, my friend!" from the Japanese version.

All in all, a good episode. This is my favorite Battle Frontier stop for the sole reason of Anabel's unique ability, and how she and Ash interact.

Rashdan
27th November 2006, 2:00 AM
Yup, I agree, Anabel sounded great. But I'm surprised Ash and the others didn't know she was a girl, until she told them. That seemed... very strange. It was obvious by her voice that she would be a girl. o.O

Can't wait for the next episode where Ash has his re-match :)

Knight_Ram
27th November 2006, 2:57 AM
I was glad with the voice they gave Anabel! It was just right for her. It was proberbly the best voice I heard that was done with a new character since the new voice actors started. But other then that, I thought that this episode was a good one because it was about time Ash lost a match! And im glad it was to Anabel, especially because she had a metagross! And it would have been pretty impresive if pikachu won the match by beating all of Anabel's pokemon but it would have been a pretty quick and lame match too. So yeah 9/10 from me for this episode as it wasn't rushed and Ash finally lost to another metagross trainer.

Cobalt_Latios
27th November 2006, 6:07 AM
This wasnt a bad episode, compared to Three Jynx and a Baby. I must say, I was not at all expecting Anabel's voice to sound like that. Maybe like a cross between Misty's voice and perhaps Lucy's voice(to give it a little bit of age), but otherwise it didnt bother me. Actually, it took me a while but i finally figured it out, Anabel's voice sounds strangely similar to Barbara's voice(Queen of the Serpentine). The only thing that i hate is how they couldnt admit that she was using Telepathy. It was blatantly obvious.

The funniest part was when Ash(or anyone else for that matter), realised that she was a girl. I have to admit, if you look hard enough for a while, she does look sort boyish, which might sorta explain it. Though i am sorta finding it repetitive how they do the, "meet-gym leader(frontier brain)-before-battle" thing.

I found Meowth's remark about the stupidity of humans to be pretty good.

edit: Im starting to suspect PUSA is starting to get lazy in using soundtracks from the movies(Heroes and Pikachu's Rescue Adventure). Though i could have temporarily sworn that some of the music in this episode had some from Pokemon 2000 at parts.

~C_L~

uber gon
27th November 2006, 6:43 AM
Why do the writers portray Ash as incredibly dense anyway?

Other than that, I liked Metagross's Iron Defense. Why can't the writers have Torkoal do that?

Ashy Boy
27th November 2006, 6:15 PM
I just watched the episode and it wasn't too bad, although I couldn't understand anything that the ever stupid Team Rocket was saying throughout the ep.

Gravy
27th November 2006, 6:52 PM
I like the fact that despite being an obvious fan of Anabel, the only thing you could think of commenting on were the characters you seem to hate. Again.
And I've gotta say, that's pretty damn pathetic.

CyberCubed
27th November 2006, 7:02 PM
Why do the writers portray Ash as incredibly dense anyway?

Huh? The entire group, (including Brock of all people) thought Anabel was a boy too.

Korobooshi Kojiro
27th November 2006, 10:01 PM
Dude, these are the kids who are fooled by Team Rocket (the demonic spawns of Lucifer and Hell itself, who eat children, and sacrafice virgins under the full moon!) when they put on glasses, and have the big red "R" visible right under there coat!

I dunno who these guys are though.....

http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/shinou/472/DP222.jpg

Jorah
27th November 2006, 11:30 PM
Dude, these are the kids who are fooled by Team Rocket (the demonic spawns of Lucifer and Hell itself, who eat children, and sacrafice virgins under the full moon!) when they put on glasses, and have the big red "R" visible right under there coat!

I dunno who these guys are though.....

http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/shinou/472/DP222.jpg

WHOA! Who are they??? If you don't think that's a good disguise, then what is?

They made a rather big deal about Ash losing at the end, the narrator was like "omgz anovver lose added to ashs long list!!!!111" but you have to admit, it was a rather bad lose. He only just about managed to defeat Alakazam. Has Ash ever won against a Psychic type? They're just about uber in the anime. I know that Ash couldn't win against Sabrina, he had to get Haunter to explode a bomb in her face to get the badge.

starterlover1
27th November 2006, 11:37 PM
WHOA! Who are they??? If you don't think that's a good disguise, then what is?

They made a rather big deal about Ash losing at the end, the narrator was like "omgz anovver lose added to ashs long list!!!!111" but you have to admit, it was a rather bad lose. He only just about managed to defeat Alakazam. Has Ash ever won against a Psychic type? They're just about uber in the anime. I know that Ash couldn't win against Sabrina, he had to get Haunter to explode a bomb in her face to get the badge.

There was one episode in the orange islands where it there was a double battle. It was a hotel battle or something by some lady. Anyway, it was pikachu and charizard against alakazam and marowak. Ash won.

CabbyFish
28th November 2006, 1:25 AM
Ash's Snorlax has also beaten Harrison's Hypno in the Johto League's Silver Confrence.

Back on topic, this episode is defenitely highlighted because it sets up the motion that goes on into another episode (instead of beating her the first time or within one episode). This episode (and others like it) just goes to prove that the writers can say about Ash is that he's not perfect and learns from his mistakes.

wobbanut
28th November 2006, 1:57 AM
The whole telepathy/sensing pokemon's feelings thing with Anabel really passed over my head. I think I can accept the whole thing with the dub about her sensing pokemon feelings because they only show her using telepathy with HER pokemon- not Pikachu, not gyarados, not beedrill. Call it dub vs. original, call it dumbed down, call it whatever you want, but I think the way they protrayed it onscreen matched the dub more closely. It would go along with the whole thing they have constantly on the show about trainers getting to know their pokemon well over time, which would fit with Anabel and her pokemon and how they communicate.

MISTYFAN4EVER8887
14th December 2006, 4:17 AM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the whole Ash and co mistasking Anabel for a boy is probably a pun on her being flat-chested (not to offend her or her fans or anything).

King Slazo
24th February 2007, 8:24 PM
This one and the next episode are my favourite ones in the whole of Season 9 so far. And I have absolutely no idea why. Maybe it's Ash getting beaten (at last), maybe it's the telepathy, maybe it's the fact that Ash is now even DUMBER about love than before, but these episodes ruled. Anabell is the only Fronteir Brain I would want to return. But I haven't seen Brandon's episode yet.

Ashy Boy
25th February 2007, 4:39 PM
I like the fact that despite being an obvious fan of Anabel, the only thing you could think of commenting on were the characters you seem to hate. Again.
And I've gotta say, that's pretty damn pathetic.

(sarcastically)Thanks for the compliment.

As for the ep, it was one of best eps (and a personal fav of mine).

BTW. the only thing I found annoying beside you-know-who (Team Rocket FYI), was May in the dub. Her voice tone was horrible.

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 11:19 PM
Yay we got to see Tauros again. A nice refreshing battle it was for sure :)

Rommath
5th February 2009, 6:46 PM
Tauros was a good sight to see. About time Ash used one of the thirty. Anabel's a rather nice character.

And Advance Adventure was played, which is also great.

Blue Snover
9th March 2009, 4:02 PM
Anabel had some skills, managing to command her Pokemon without having to order a single attack.

Littlemyuu
9th March 2009, 5:43 PM
Anabel is my fave frontier brain,i love psycic Pokemon and Anabel
got some good ones

(s.i.e)
9th March 2009, 8:51 PM
this episode was very exciting to watch i can still remember, it had a good battle in it.

Ash-kid
4th December 2009, 2:18 PM
I think it was my favotire episode in this season.
I loved how Anabel interacted with her pokemon, it was cool.
And i was happy to see Ash's Taurus return.

Lorde
8th December 2009, 11:25 AM
Well, at least we got some character development.

Glad Anabel and Ash seemed to have a thing going on. It made this episode standout.

I liked the battle aswell, nicely done 8/10

Rainbowdashtheawesome
1st February 2010, 4:01 AM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the whole Ash and co mistasking Anabel for a boy is probably a pun on her being flat-chested (not to offend her or her fans or anything).

Seriously, what besides that could possibly make anybody mistake Anabel for a boy? A boy with hair and a voice like hers would be beaten senseless if he showed his face around a bar or something like that.

Willow's Tara
29th May 2010, 6:14 AM
Pretty good episode, I did like Anabel (I didn't really confuse her with a boy, maybe it's that voice of her, it would have been more surprising if she had been a guy). But as someone said it was probably a pun since she had a flat chest.

I am not sure why she had Metagross, you think someone like her would have a Gardevoir for example, not a Metagross, maybe she had a Gardevoir somewhere thought you never know.

It was good he beat her in the second round, shows he can't win all at the same time.

TehGr81
29th July 2010, 11:45 PM
This was episode was great. I liked how Anabel gave commands to her Pokemon telepathically and that Ash lost, showing he can't always win the first time.

Lance The Champ
17th December 2010, 11:18 AM
Anabel sure is impressive...... she should be in the elite four or something

Painkiller2001
7th February 2011, 8:39 PM
A Frontier Brain that can order her Pokemon through telepathy?
I wonder how Sh will overcome this obstacle?

When Anabel calmed that Gyarados, It was weird to see a Pokemon like Gyarados appear happy briefly.

I didn't realize that Beedrill say their names so quietly. Maybe that's just this episode?

G50
26th April 2011, 5:08 PM
This episode was ok... Too bad Ash loses in this battle. Alakazam and Metagross are really strong. It was really cool how Anabel didn't have to speak to order attacks. She only used telepathy to get through to her Pokemon. Interesting how Pikachu was the only Pokemon to end up with a victory.

30/100

Vernikova
18th September 2012, 8:45 PM
Finally, Ash gets beaten in the Battle Frontier. I guess this is making up for Sabrina, or any other Gym Leader not receiving an appearance throughout this sags (sans Misty and Brock of course). Or not. Regardless, it was nice to see Ash get beaten down but you could see it a mile away when he started to get cocky and stuff.

PokemontrainerY
12th August 2013, 8:56 AM
I liked Salon Maiden Anabel, Ash and the others mistaking her for a boy was funny .... But I admit that she did looks a like a boy in this episode. The bonding moments between Ash and Anabel were nice.
I thought Ash and Anbel's battle was pretty good, it's great to see Tauros again.
Ash ends up losing the battle at the end .... I think him losing to a Frontier brain for the first time was a good change from normal.

phanpycross
6th March 2014, 12:32 PM
Good job battle frontier, you managed to beat out the awkwardness of the"Riddle me this" spa scene, i mean come on, undressing in front of four strangers you have just met, that is weird for both genders, not to mention the "cause May is here" line, And Anabel just shrugs it off, Erika refused to battle Ash, cause he dislikes parfume, But missing your gender i aOkay

Painkiller2001
17th November 2014, 12:39 AM
Honestly, it's nice seeing Ash lose his first BF match. Better than seeing him sweep all of them in one go. That can get get boring fast.
As soon as Anabel sent out Metagross, I thought "gg Pikachu, gg!"