PDA

View Full Version : Sig rules

Lord Nidokingu
25th March 2006, 2:55 AM
I've pondered the sig rules for some time and I believe that they could, in theory, be more lenient...

The driving purpose of the rule is to make it so people with dialup can enjoy quicker load times and to keep sigs from being too obtrusive.

The fault lies in that I can still have an image that is well below the typical 100 Kb size often seen in sigs, be taller and wider than the (2) 200 x 200 and (1) 468 x 100 banners allowed, yet still fit very easily in the average member's sig.

With a bit-size limit, the dimensions of a picture could be as large as the total sig dimensions limit -with no extra text- and still be very easy on the eyes and loading times. (if not more so.)

Example is this 67.19 Kb image: http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/9074/rtypebannerlowdetail0zx.jpg

Any feedback?

Eszett
25th March 2006, 3:29 AM
This didn't come up at all in the discussions I had with Wolf Goddess that led to the newest installment of sig rules. While it could be workable, I think this is more of an issue of screen real estate rather than byte usage. Don't assume this is the stance of the administration, no, but it's just that I think it lies primarily upon the size of the sig on the monitor since that is more readily apparent upon glancing the sig.

Shadow_Fox
25th March 2006, 4:01 AM
It is more of a "screen real estate" issure rather than loading times. I know that with my computers default resolution even Eszett's sig took up about half the screen. Being rather artistic, I didnt choose to hide them becuase of good pictures/inspiration that they often had, but all of the scrolling just to get to the bottom of a ten-post page got old fast.
Why would you need a image size larger than 400 by 200, anyway? Basicly anything can be resized or cut as WolfGoddess did with her picture.
~

Pokefan20010
25th March 2006, 10:54 AM
But it if is a matter of "screen real estate", then wouldn't you be able to put in one image bigger than 200*200, and one image way smaller than the limit?

In other words...
(200*200)+(200*200)=80000
Two 200*200 pics=80,000 pixels

(250*210)+(80*80)=56400
Estimated size of a "You are a (Pokémon)" plus estimated size of a "Pokémon Orphanage" animation=56400 pixels. The sizes were ESTIMATED so I might be a little wrong. They probably will still be in the "80000 pixel limit" of images if my estimates are off.

This will work with the "You are a (Pokémon)" thing and the Pokémon Orphanage animations, and a lot of other big image and small image combinations.

RaZoR LeAf
25th March 2006, 12:21 PM
The way it is now is easier for everyone. Considering how difficult alot of members find Opening their User CP, or posting new topics, the last thing we need to do is over complicate the sig rules by adding file size options beyond the maximum 500kbs.

If you want a large image, you can make one out of two images and a banner, as many members already do.

Lord Nidokingu
25th March 2006, 2:09 PM
Well it was worth a shot, I suppose. Thanks for listening at least.