PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Castigate

klducks
26th March 2006, 2:54 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/guildpact/castigate.jpg
Castigate - Guildpact. Common
WB: Sorcery
Target opponent reveals his or her hand. Choose a nonland card from it. Remove that card from the game.
"We have no need for military might. We wield two of the sharpest swords ever forged: Faith in our left hand, Wealth in our right."
-Vuliev of the Ghost Council

A very nice discard card. Not only does it reveal your opponents hand, not only do you choose which card to discard, but you also remove that card from the game. Great deal.

It isn't mono black since it isn't going to be in every discard deck, but this should be mentioned for Orzhov decks. A great late pick in limited as well.

The Duck's Rating: 3/5

Shadow Trainer
27th March 2006, 6:44 AM
A good discard spell. Good against decks like Greater Good and Reanimation and much better then Distress. 3/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
28th March 2006, 9:47 AM
Ah.

This card is real fun. Catch your opponent's hand at the right moment and remove that trump card..... Of course it's a sorcery, otherwise you would abuse it for crazy reasons....This is real useful for geting that Darksteel Collossus back into the deck where it can't kill you. Or that Krojan Colossus where your friend can't get it back with Broken Fall. Or that crazy Overwhelm/Stir the Pride/-insert any other game-ender here- your opponent is gonna slap you with next turn. Yay.

3.5/5

klducks
28th March 2006, 11:04 PM
Of course it's a sorcery, otherwise you would abuse it for crazy reasons....
lol, all discard cards are sorceries.. Otherwise, hi, you cant play any spells cuz i can just use isochron scepter. gg.

chaoslord
29th March 2006, 4:45 AM
lol, all discard cards are sorceries.. Otherwise, hi, you cant play any spells cuz i can just use isochron scepter. gg.

Tsabo's Decree, Stop That, Recoil, and Funeral Charm would like to have a word with you outside (RUN AWAY! THEY WILL KILL YOU! I FELL FOR THIS TRICK ALREADY!). There are other ways out there to get instant speed discard as well (like necrogen spellbomb, or that veldalken orrery card. spelling?).

Anyways, on to castigate. This card, like Struggle for Sanity, angers me, because it isn't a true discard card. They won't trigger megrim, and that takes all the fun out of it. So much wasted potential...

Though, this obviously has it perks, with RFG instead of giving them a shot at revival.

Then again, it costs white mana..

So, its Duress, + W, - creature restriction.

Eh...

Uhh...because I like orzhov, and by like, I mean think its awesome, I will give this a 3. yay.

Felix Feral Fezirix
29th March 2006, 10:03 AM
I like B/W too, since I play a deck of similar lineage. If I get ahold of this card......-evil glint in eye-

Nothing will stop my evil Pestilence of doom. Black mana, one white mana, whoosh! Opponent becmes Coco Crunch.....

It has a lot of advantages. It's only two mana and you can remove stuff from the game, even though it's a sorcery, that's still an upside. WIth Necrogen Spellbomb, yes, it can be reused, but the dangerous cards can be pulled back from the graveyard. -shudder- And Darksteel Colossus gets to be summoned and even though it's an instant, can't do anything to stop the spell.....maybe counter it, but Colossus can't go to the graveyard. Gak. I believe I have hit onto something that requires clarification. I shall go check on those rules....-runs-

chaoslord
29th March 2006, 9:53 PM
I believe I have hit onto something that requires clarification. I shall go check on those rules....-runs-

What have you hit onto, pray tell? The members of the board are pretty knowledgable about the rules and can help, I'm sure.

Felix Feral Fezirix
30th March 2006, 6:06 AM
Nah. My brain works in strange ways.....I'm sure I'll be able to work out a compromise to stop my split personas from arguing. ANd to end my unjust suffering. Thanks for offering, anyways.

skiboydoggy
30th March 2006, 12:39 PM
Hmmm...
Castigate... Not to big on the discard, but I swear all these spells are screaming at me to put them in Blue.