PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Arashi, the Sky Assunder

klducks
29th March 2006, 11:59 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/sok/arashi_the_sky_asunder.jpg
Arashi, the Sky Asunder - Saviors of Kamiwaga. Rare
3GG: Legendary Creature - Spirit
XG, T: Arashi, the Sky Asunder deals X damage to target creature with flying.
Channel - XGG, Discard Arashi: Arashi deals X damage to each creature with flying.
5/5

A great card. 5 for a 5/5. Fair? Now an ability that lets you ping flyers for a simple cost of T + G + the toughness. Also fair. Giving it the ability to channel at instant speed? Okay, we got a great card. A lot of pros and fair costs in a 5 mana creature. Flyer troubles? Get the Asunder.

The Duck's Rating: 4/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
30th March 2006, 7:03 AM
5 mana 5/5 was good enough. Plonk on those ablities.....

Another imagined scene:

Opponent: DIE TO MY FLYERS!!! -evil laugh-

.....Is that so? -pulls out card from under a pile of creatures and counters- Remember this?

Opponent: Uh oh.

-splat-

There you have it. Defintitely worth placing in your deck or sideboard.

Shadow Trainer
30th March 2006, 8:47 AM
Great card. 5/5 for five mana is good and the ability to kill flying creatures is great. It covers one of green's weak point's, it has few creatures with flying. The channel ability is good too, especially against Mono Blue Control. Worried about that Keiga/Meloku or Illusion token army your opponent has, and do not want to play Arashi in fear of counters ? Just channel and wipe your opponent's board away. 4/5

skiboydoggy
30th March 2006, 1:36 PM
Then again, there is Tornado Elemental for that as well...

Kaizer
30th March 2006, 3:11 PM
Then again, there is Tornado Elemental for that as well...

There is? I completely forgot about that card as Arashi is far greater than it. Besides, Tornado Elemental isn't standard legal...

Anyways, Arashi is definitely good, not the best thing ever, but good. I'm not sure how it stacks up when played against Savage Twister though.

Sika
30th March 2006, 4:54 PM
I didn't play green back then, but I see this card is pretty good in terms of cost, power and abilities. 5/5 for 5, and these abilities. Channel for an Hurricane (except players which is not necesarily a bad thing). Only one G more. Yeah Baby!

4/5

chaoslord
30th March 2006, 9:54 PM
There is? I completely forgot about that card as Arashi is far greater than it. Besides, Tornado Elemental isn't standard legal...

Anyways, Arashi is definitely good, not the best thing ever, but good. I'm not sure how it stacks up when played against Savage Twister though.

Thats pretty arguable. I think they're about even in power..

But man, does Tornado Elemental bring back memories...

Remember when Michael would get it out? Oh, fun times, fun times...

Felix Feral Fezirix
31st March 2006, 5:59 AM
I remember how many times I get pwned by it because I couldn't get Pestilence out in time.......I really need to increase the land ratio in my deck.

Kaizer
2nd April 2006, 4:51 AM
Thats pretty arguable. I think they're about even in power..

But man, does Tornado Elemental bring back memories...

Remember when Michael would get it out? Oh, fun times, fun times...

I'll rephrase myself: Arashi is far more versatile.

And yeah, I still have to go up against the thing in bio, but WW still overcomes with the help of (kamigawa holy day). I hate it when I forget names...

klducks
2nd April 2006, 5:12 AM
Kami of False Hope?

Kaizer
2nd April 2006, 5:54 AM
Kami of False Hope?

Nope, it's Ethereal Haze. Would've lost that game if I hadn't been able to prevent the damage to my fliers.

skiboydoggy
3rd April 2006, 6:28 AM
Doesn't Tornado Elemental have the psuedo-unblockable thing? That would make it better IMO.

Felix Feral Fezirix
3rd April 2006, 7:41 AM
....Psuedo-unblockable? Nah, both have flying. Unless you're talking about something else, which I doubt you are.....

BTW, Tornado Elemental is 6/6 and I think costs 7 mana. The pain. Ouch.

klducks
3rd April 2006, 7:45 AM
Doesn't Tornado Elemental have the psuedo-unblockable thing? That would make it better IMO.
Well compare the 7 mana cost to arashi's 5. Compare Arashi's ability to constantly ping flyers while Tornado is only a one timer. Compare Arashi's ability to also one time ping but can cost more/less then needed to kill the necessary flyers. Compare Tornado's 6/6 body to Arashi's 5/5.

It really is a tough chase, but I like Arashi since it can constantly ping and as Kaizer said, is more versatile.

Felix Feral Fezirix
3rd April 2006, 7:48 AM
And of course, that Arashi is legal in standard. And that you pay a heck lot less for a lot more. Throw in the fact that Green doesn't have lots of fliers, and this is one, and the decision is unanimous.

klducks
4th April 2006, 12:00 AM
And of course, that Arashi is legal in standard. And that you pay a heck lot less for a lot more. Throw in the fact that Green doesn't have lots of fliers, and this is one, and the decision is unanimous.
What? Arashi doesn't fly...

unless i read your sentence wrong.

Felix Feral Fezirix
4th April 2006, 4:25 PM
Oh fine, I made a mistake, it doesn't fly, but it still turns fliers into cannon fodder. Bird chow, anyone?

skiboydoggy
12th April 2006, 3:43 AM
Hmmm...? Didn't Tornado Elemental have the: "This creature deals damage as though it were not blocked" or something like that?