PDA

View Full Version : changing the thread title...

NEO GOHAN
30th March 2006, 2:05 AM
sorry if this is the wrong section. I've never had something to suggest about the forums and the sticky said for the main site only.

anyway, I was wondering if there's already a way to change the title of a thread. if not, this would be a helpful addition, especially in the fanart request section. the problem is, newbs see a thread and immediately request. what we need there is a way to change the thread title to show that requesting (or whatever the thread is about) is closed without having a mod close the entire thread. that way the thread doesn't die down if the shop/etc. is closed too long. it doesn't seem unreasonable as long as only mods/thread starters can do so, and it would make things alot easier in these places.

again, apologies if this is in the wrong place.

NG

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
30th March 2006, 2:35 AM
Sorry, but only Mods can edit thread titles. I'm thinking that maybe you could PM a mod asking, but maybe they won't listen.

NEO GOHAN
30th March 2006, 2:45 AM
that's what I'm saying. why can't the thread's starter change the title? it would help greatly, cause virtually no problems, and doesn't seem like much of a hassle to allow here. if it's possible, it should be done. we should have to rely on mods all the time, especially when they have other things to worry about...

Phosphate
30th March 2006, 3:25 AM
Only a mod in the section that the thread is in can change the title. Smods and Admins can change a thread title anywhere. Just PM one that is active to change it for you.

TRJessie579
30th March 2006, 3:41 AM
I've always thought that was really odd...especially for something like a typo, there's no way to regular members to fix it. That would be a helpful change.

For the record, if anyone ever needs a topic title changed in one of my sections don't hesitate to PM me, I'll change it as soon as I have time. :D

Thriller
30th March 2006, 3:44 AM
I really wish normal members could do things like that to their own threads. Having the ability to close their own threads should be allowed too but that idea seems to be rather unpopular ._.

Phosphate
30th March 2006, 3:48 AM
Well, we have the ability to delete our own threads using the "Thread Tools" button. It has to be your own thread in order to have the option. I tried it, but it did not work.

Eszett
30th March 2006, 4:03 AM
Seeing that owners deleting their threads was not too popular amongst the community (many a debate have been ended prematurely like that since the owner's beliefs were challenged, only to have been recovered from oblivion by a mod), I suspect that the option for the owner to close his or her own threads would only present a bigger hassle to the mods since closed threads are not as easy to spot in forums as are deleted threads, which if I'm not mistaken (and I'm pulling this from thin air) are put into some hidden forum which is purged every week or so.

So, nay to owners closing their own threads.

Fox
30th March 2006, 10:29 AM
Deleted threads actually remain in the forum where they were. You just can't see them.

Koubagia
30th March 2006, 9:49 PM
Deleted threads actually remain in the forum where they were. You just can't see them.

Oh God. That meaans that all the mods can see my hillariously noobish post thinking an oddly posed Primeape was a new Pokémon ;).

Anyway, on topic, I feel that this would be a brilliant idea, for Fan Art Requests, Fanfics, and my Caption Contest. If at all possible I think the Big S should consider this.

Bulk
30th March 2006, 10:16 PM
Well, no to the thread closing. Leave that to the mods. Most peopel here couldn't be trusted to do that.

But, yes, definately, to the user being able to change their thread title. It'd make things so much easier and would probably make the forums more aesthetically pleasing if there weren't a whole load of typos in thread titles.

Oh yes, and thanks TRJessie579 for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. It's nice to know that some mods aren't so "busy" to worry about the members here. (That is not butt-kissing or whatever, and don't try and make it sound like it is. I'm bored of people being obsessed with butt-kissing around here.)

Fiery Blaziken
31st March 2006, 1:28 AM
Yeah but deleting a thread would delete all the replys. And besides, you could just PM a mod.

NEO GOHAN
31st March 2006, 1:43 AM
THE POINT IS, mods have better things to do when it SHOULD be possible for the thread maker to change the title themselves...

sorry for the rant, felt it was getting a tad off topic.

Myuuvuirocon
31st March 2006, 3:22 AM
THE POINT IS, mods have better things to do when it SHOULD be possible for the thread maker to change the title themselves...

sorry for the rant, felt it was getting a tad off topic.

yeah, I think the person who made the thread should have the power to change the title to show that the REQUESTS ARE CLOSED. I know why yer doin' this, NEO GOHAN, n' it does get annoying...

Magma Instinct
31st March 2006, 4:10 AM
I think that, the owners of the threads should be allowed to change the title, open it, and close it. But only if they had never had any problems with the rules, and that they have been here longer than a couple of months, that would show that they are trustworthy.

Yoru Ryu
31st March 2006, 2:21 PM
Considering the original topic wasn't about closing and opening threads, that's rather irrelivent.

But i would love to be able to change my own thread titles, considering i'd only want to alter my one request thread anyhow. I don't know about other people, but i, personally, get very annoyed when people skip the first page where it says "Requests are closed" quite plainly in the biggest font, yet still either disregard it or miss it altogether. Not to sound bigheaded (:0) but i get a lot of requests that are from some genuinly decent members, but they still miss the closed sign. Hell, even the big red one Jenni made for me didn't work, and short of that altering the thread title this is all i can see to help. Of course that's just in the Request Section for myself ^^; For the comic and/or fanfic section, i guess you could mention when the next chapter of your work would be up? In the other foums i really can't see the point of having to change it other than because of a typo. I dunno. Still a great idea though.

And now Yoru's rambled on pointlessly for long enough X3

FireKero!
31st March 2006, 3:00 PM
^uh huh.

I had a problem like that this morning. I was in the 'rate-my-deck' area, and I forgot to put "ygo:adv" in the thread title to distinguish (<can't spell) it from the other games. Two of my threads were closed. But I made an effort to chage the title. I spent 30 minutes looking to change it. And I didn't finish my homework. :sad:

Worse part is, I don't like bugging MOD's. They're busy enough already, and I know about closing threads being a hassle and whatnot, seeing how I'm a MOD on other site's. That, and I'm slightly afraid of them. :)

I think members should be able to edit the names of the threads that they made. Typo's are common, and Request thingies have to be done too. And it could save MOD's a lot of time.

~Kero~

Atari
31st March 2006, 5:46 PM
I'm sorry if you might concider this post partial SPAM, but in order to change my thread titles, all I do is go to EDIT. On your first post (thread starter), press EDIT, click on Go Advance, and all you have to do is edit the title.

Simple enough. But being able to actually close your own thread would be a nice change. But, as the opposing side, you may start seeing closed threads (besides the stickies) on every page in the forum. If people had that much freedom, there would be chaos in every forum besides fizzy bubbles and a couple of other forums. Think about it.

liquinn
31st March 2006, 6:04 PM
Yes. True. You can allready 'Re name' *your* topic. Like the above dude said. Use edit on the first post and then do it from there. Suppose its simple. I think someone needs to lock thic topic due to it has no reason to stay open. :) ...

NEO GOHAN
1st April 2006, 12:19 AM
THAT CHANGES THE TOPIC FOR YOUR POST, NOT THE TITLE.
you know, the line right below your name and rank???
I've tried that before, it DOES NOT change the thread title.

blueguy
1st April 2006, 1:05 AM
I actually think that this is a good idea. There's nothing wrong with changing a thread title. It isn't as if that this power would cause some sort of anarchy in the forums. It would be useful for when someone makes an error in their thread title, or if someone wants to change the title purely because it needs changing... (XD that was lame). The example of Fan Art Requests is a valid one, because it would probably deter idiots from requesting when such requests are closed.

NEO GOHAN
3rd April 2006, 12:12 AM
woah, ok, this died down a bit...
anyway, now I'm wishing I made this a poll, so we could petition this to the admins. if anyone else thinks this is a good Idea, PLEASE post.

Serebii, if you read this, please consider it, and let me know, 'k?

Aptenodytes
3rd April 2006, 6:58 AM
I think it's a good idea, but if noobs don't bother to read the 1st post in the request shop, what makes you think they'll bother to read the title correctly? Right now, I don't really mind since my shop isn't very active. If I need the title changed, I'd just PM a mod to do it for me. Like today for instance...

Jetx
4th April 2006, 10:55 AM
Yeah, sometimes, fan fiction titles are ruined when you think of a better name. And I share a shop with somebody, but I can't change it to "Jetx and abusoru's shop" it has to stay "Jetx's shop", ah well, I don't think anybody minds us being able to change titles yet. So how about we get allowed to?

It would help a load of people out.

Neopolis
5th April 2006, 6:57 PM
Yes, this is very annoying. Since I am easily ticked off by spelling and grammatical errors, I have an urge to fix them. But I can't! The frustration! :rolleyes:

So, yes, this would be a good idea, in my opinion.

NEO GOHAN
7th April 2006, 11:33 PM
well, I figured out how to turn this into a poll, so, uh... petition for or against it! (though it is one-sided...)
*slight bump, lol.

NG

edit: ok, whoever thinks n00bs will abuse this power is out of their mind. I'm asking that the THREAD STARTERS be allowed to change the title, not everyone. I put that to show how many dumb***es there are here...

MetalMario
14th April 2006, 4:26 AM
I agree. The threads created by the types of n00bs who would abuse the system never stay open for more than a day, anyway. ;)

Xiang
14th April 2006, 5:30 PM
Or the privilege of changing the topic titles could be earned, but that has many downsides as well. >.>
(People might complain about favoring blah blah blah
Feature may not be available
etc.)

Nevermore
19th April 2006, 9:37 PM
yeah, i have to start new threads every time i ahve a username change, which is annoying if the thread is well established. also, i've deleted a few threads because of spelling mistakes in the title before.
we should be able to change polls, too. take mine for example. i put 8/10 twice by accident, but it's stuck like that, and i don't want to start the entire thread again when it's getting visited properly now.

Mega Trickster
19th April 2006, 9:44 PM
This would so help out everyone who runs a request thread! Including me!
I say yes!

Bulk
19th April 2006, 10:11 PM
Well, if your worried about n00bs missusing this privilage (and I don't see how they would) then just make it so after 500 or so posts, you can change your thread titles. Make it a little privaledge for the members who stick around.

Or, that might make more confusion and rather pointless to me so I say just go for it. You may as well give us some rights here.

[Kingdra]
19th April 2006, 10:13 PM
It would be really cool to change it because I accidentally spelled my club name The Swellow and Pidgeot CLub

Abraace
17th May 2006, 3:54 AM
Good lord yes....typos, and title errors may occur sometimes, and since the mods and admins are busy themselves, it'd be nice to save them the hassle and do it ourselves.

-Abraace

pokeinuyasha
17th May 2006, 9:28 PM
érsonally I think it's a good idea! If you make your thread's name wrong, it will be a shame, andthe mods have better things to do so... yeah, I agree!

Jade
18th May 2006, 2:13 PM
I think the CLose thread option will be only allow in the fan-request forum?

Ohtachi
21st May 2006, 10:23 PM
I think this would be a great idea. I approve of the theory that Members should be able to change their own Thread titles if they deem necessary. I could see idiots abusing the priviledge, but couldn't we at least be given a chance to see how it'd work?

NEO GOHAN
24th May 2006, 12:07 AM
well, the results are in. 84% of SPPf thinks it's a good idea. 13% don't care. and 2% are retards who think that n00bs will find some way to abuse this. (the chances of that? astronomical. which, of course, means it's bound to happen eventually, but I don't see how.)

anyway, admins, you've heard the public.

NG

Ohtachi
24th May 2006, 12:28 AM
Ask like that and it'll never happen, lol. Anyways, I wouldn't call Members retarded just because they think changing Thread Titles can be abused. :/