PDA

View Full Version : Second Time's A Charm! (447)

Serebii
30th March 2006, 3:01 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/447.jpgSecond Time's A Charm!

After his loss in the Battle Tower, Ash decides to start training his Pokémon so he can devise the perfect strategy to defeat Anabel's Psychic Pokémon. However by using the same Pokémon as before, ash faces a tough battle against the Psychic Pokémon and their strong attacks. Will Ash manage to claim victory?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/447.shtml)

Discuss

Lupin
30th March 2006, 3:07 PM
I'm going to assume that he won, so how good was his win?

Please tell me Tauros got at least one victory?

Nintendo Theatre
30th March 2006, 3:07 PM
Any word on how Tauros did Joe? I'm really hoping that he beat his opponent this around...Tauros is one of my favorite Pokemon and I would hate to see him go down without a fight.

Also, I heard they revealed the battle Pyramid is by Pewter, is this true?

Lost Angel_Setsuna
30th March 2006, 3:37 PM
Yes, it's near Pewter...maybe we could see Ludicolo and Brock's other pokemon again...in a no-special episode...

Nintendo Theatre
30th March 2006, 3:45 PM
Yes, it's near Pewter...maybe we could see Ludicolo and Brock's other pokemon again...in a no-special episode...

That would be cool if Brock met up with Ludicolo again. It was one of my favorites of his team...

But anyways, back to the discussion of the episode...Anybody seen it?

Serebii
30th March 2006, 3:58 PM
Please take speculation elsewhere, this thread is just for discussion of this episode after you have seen it, read the guide or viewed the picture.

ghost master
30th March 2006, 8:22 PM
According to Argy at BMGF it goes.
Corphish vs. Alakazam
Corphish vs. Metagross
Tauros vs. Metagross
Pikachu vs. Espeon
Ash wins. Tauros and metagross both got ko'd at the same time.

JazzJazz
30th March 2006, 8:44 PM
Tauros and metagross both got ko'd at the same time.

Good, at least tauros was able to get a little bit of retribution for its loss in the previous episode.

Almighty Zard
30th March 2006, 8:58 PM
Tauros and metagross both got ko'd at the same time.

Let me guess, hyper beam and fissure right.

Alfonso
30th March 2006, 9:17 PM
Yes! Tauros, a painfully neglected Pokemon who just got beaten in the last episode recieved training in this episode only scraped a draw! Thank God we have such a over showcased and spotlight hogging Pokemon like Pikachu around to save the day! : D

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th March 2006, 9:28 PM
DOn't forget, it was a Metagross, which took Grovyle and Pikachu to beat one, so Tauros tieing with one is great.

Nintendo Theatre
30th March 2006, 9:55 PM
DOn't forget, it was a Metagross, which took Grovyle and Pikachu to beat one, so Tauros tieing with one is great.

That's true...I was about to freak out until after you said that. Thank you for stopping my ramapge.

Eddieursa
30th March 2006, 10:12 PM
No signal of Corphish's evolution, right?. Blast!!!.

Thriller
30th March 2006, 10:44 PM
Truthfully I think the writers are purposely doing this about Corphish.

There has yet to be a single episode where Corphish goes to Neverland like Bulbasaur in the mysterious garden episode.

Yet Corphish still won't stinking grow up. I'm sure it would be way past its evolution level if levels exist in the anime but something is just stopping it from simply gaining a few pounds and a star on its head (A Crawdaunt really is just a fatter Corphish with a star on its head.)

At this point, however, I'm thinking about giving up wanting Corphish to evolve because it has been with the show for so long, continues to miss the opportunities and, somehow, manages to kick a** (fat a**'s for that matter :p). While there isn't an episode where Corphish goes to Neverland, I might as well give in and say its joined Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Psyduck and others in the island where you can fly and you never grow up. Welcome to Neverland Corphish :D

As for the episode itself I knew Ash would win. I hope I have the patience to watch this episode because the battle sounds great. With Tauros battling and, of course, the rat saving the day, this is a typical battle episode but still sounds good.

And also, I think it was Eddiursa in another thread that the Battle Pyramid was near Pewter City which blows off my own theory about the gang going the long way around to get back to Pallet Town or wherever, those game producers better hurry it up with D/P or were in for another filler League.

ghost master
30th March 2006, 11:24 PM
Don vito, I'm sorry but there was hardly a chance of Corphish ever evolving. It has proved like others that is pretty powerful but can be in basic form. Anyway so We find out the battle pyramid is pewter city. I dont know what to think of that.

Korobooshi Kojiro
31st March 2006, 12:00 AM
If we take the Deoxys Special out of the timeline as specials usually are outside of the timeline, the episode with Sudowoodo, a rock Pokemon, is next.....and their in the town of a rock gym....

And Corphish does not need to evolve, it would be cool if it did, but it don't.

ghost master
31st March 2006, 12:06 AM
If we take the Deoxys Special out of the timeline as specials usually are outside of the timeline, the episode with Sudowoodo, a rock Pokemon, is next.....and their in the town of a rock gym.... Actually its being counted as part of the AG timeline. Also I doubt they would skip all of that and immediatly be in pewter but I digress we should be on epi discussion.

V Faction
31st March 2006, 1:28 AM
NOTE: Please leave any and all attacks used by Ash's Pokemon and Anabel's Pokemon in a post please, with particular interest in Espeon's attack.

Pikachu
31st March 2006, 3:09 AM
According to Argy at BMGF it goes.
Corphish vs. Alakazam
Corphish vs. Metagross
Tauros vs. Metagross
Pikachu vs. Espeon
Ash wins. Tauros and metagross both got ko'd at the same time.

Just dashed my hopes. Why can't they make an Espeon win for once?

HoennMaster
31st March 2006, 4:32 AM
because they don't want Espeon to win :( At least Tauros got some redemption after it's defeat last time. Although I would have liked it to have win I guess a tie is better than nothing.

Almighty Zard
31st March 2006, 5:13 AM
because they don't want Espeon to win :( At least Tauros got some redemption after it's defeat last time. Although I would have liked it to have win I guess a tie is better than nothing.

I can kinda settle for a tie in it's case because if Tauros did beat Metagross it would be hard to believe for a lot of people, (heck some people at going crazy about the fact that Corphish beat Alakazam.) so i think the writers made the right choice and go for a tie.

CyberCubed
31st March 2006, 5:20 AM
Sure, and at least Tauros did get two episodes, where he improved a hell of a lot in the second one.

I don't imagine the outcry here will be as much as it was for Heracross, and even there people calmed down a bit once they saw that Heracross actually put up a great fight before going down, so it wasn't that bad.

Seems like only Charizard and Snorlax were the "heroes" of the reserve Pokemon so far against the Brains.

HoennMaster
31st March 2006, 5:26 AM
I second that. As for Corphish beating Alakazam? It will be interesting to see that battle

S.Suikun
31st March 2006, 6:06 AM
Indeed, considering how badly it got its *** handed to him by Alakazam last time (didn't land a single hit in). To avoid so many similarities to the previous episode, however, I would have liked to have seen Sceppy go in for Corphish's place. As for Tauros, it served its purpose well enough. Pikachu winning the whole thing is hardly a surprise.

I'll be back with raves or rants on the coreography and animation tomorrow.

HoennMaster
31st March 2006, 6:21 AM
Yeah, seeing Alakazam kick Corphish's *** without Corphish getting one attack reminded me of the same thing in Ash's battle with Morrison when Corphish did the same thing to Girafarig

Almighty Zard
31st March 2006, 3:13 PM
just saw the pics, looks like Ash does get his retrobution though one thing has me perplexed, and it pretains to Corphish, i didn't know you could get away with recalling a pokemon and then sending it right back in to fight, and isn't the pyramid special it's not a dot it's a freaking symbol on the pokenav, North west of Pewter.

Korobooshi Kojiro
31st March 2006, 3:47 PM
Hmm....the gang also gets chased by Beedrill's as well...

Also, one thing confuses me, at one part May sends out Combushken AFTER they defeat Team Rocket, and like Corphish looks scared or something...weird..

Oh, and a TON of Anabel*Ash stuff.

ChaosMage
31st March 2006, 4:12 PM
This was OK, but could have obviously been far better. Tauros drawing is forgivable, and Corphish was pretty cool. But Pikachu? I say meh... a meh with the power of a thousand suns!

Blazing Charmander
31st March 2006, 4:25 PM
Looks like a great episode judging by the pictures. The battle looked OKish but didn't seem to have a lot of effort put into it (attack effects aside). It just looked a bit rushed. Tauros should have won, but didn't (surprise, anybody?), and Pikachu, yet again takes the spotlight. As much as I like Volt Tackles animation, it's just tiresome seeing Pika' winning the match for Ash... again.

One thing that made this episode special though was the great Ash and Anabel interaction. I've taken a sudden liking towards Anabel and think that she and Ash are a good pairing. It was great when Tauros was on a rampage and they all fell into the lake, and at the end when they shook hands and Anabel blushed. Say what you like but I thought it was cute.

CyberCubed
31st March 2006, 4:32 PM
May scanned Espeon on her Pokedex, is there anyone still not convinced that they're setting May up for one in the future?

Also, what the heck was that staring contest about between Ash and Corphish and May and Combusken. Like wtf? :D

Nintendo Theatre
31st March 2006, 4:49 PM
Oh my god, this episode is going to make so many Anabel + Ashships...check out this series of pictures from this ep.

http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/424.jpg
http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/426.jpg
http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/427.jpg
http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/428.jpg

Pikachu
31st March 2006, 5:12 PM
Isn't turning off the lights during the match considered cheating? I don't think Ash is really worthy of the Ability symbol. I think Anabel gave it to Ash because she has feelings for him.

Nintendo Theatre
31st March 2006, 5:13 PM
NOTE: Please leave any and all attacks used by Ash's Pokemon and Anabel's Pokemon in a post please, with particular interest in Espeon's attack.

Basically, this is a play by play of the entire battle, you can thank me later...

Anabel sends out Alakazam while Ash sends out Corphish.

Anabel commands Alakazam to use Focus Punch and Ash then commands Crabhammer from Corphish, both attacks cancel eachother out. Corphish then uses a Bubblebeam and Alakazam a counter-Psybeam. Again both cancel out...then just as Corphish is about to use Crabhammer on Alakazam again, Alakazam uses Psychic and flings Corphish to the other side of the room.

Corphish then become freaking awesome...He jumps up in the air and sends a devastating Bubblebeam onto Alakazam, direct hit! Then while Alakazam charges up for another Psychic blast Corphish uses Crabhammer. It hits but then Corphish is thrown back back a Psybeam. Corphish then goes strak raving mad and hits witha Crabhammer and a Bubblebeam. Alakazam is out.

Anabel then sends out Metagross. Corphish then tries a Crabhammer on him but is immeadiatly knocked out by a Meteor Mash.Tauros is then sent out by Ash.

Both Tauros and Metagross immeadiatly use Take Down and cancel eachother's attack out. Metagross gets mad and tries a Meteor Mash but Tauros flings Metagross up in the air before it can get hit. Tauros then uses a Double Team to confuse Metagross, but Metagross uses Hyper beam and hits Tauros dead-on.

Tauros gets up and samcks Metagross with a Horn Attack. Metagross tries his final Meteor mash while Tauros tries to counter with Horn Attack again. Both Pokies make direct hits resulting in an explosion. Both are knocked out.

Anabel sends out Espeon while Ash sends out Pikachu.

Both Pokies try Quick Attack on eachother but miss. Pikachu slides on the ground and then is hit by a 2nd Quick Attack from Espeon. Just as Espeon is about to hit it with a 3rd Quick Attack, Pikachu jumps up and tries to hit it with an Iron Tail. Both miss but while in the air, Espeon pushes Pika down to the ground.

Pikachu gets mad now and tries a Thunder Attack but Espeon shoots a Zap Cannon resulting in another explosion which knocks Pika back. Pikachu now gets really mad and tries another Thunderbolt but Espeon uses Psychic to throw Pikachu up in the air and smack it down on the ground. Things don't look good for Pika.

Pikachu tries another Quick Attack and Espeon throws it in the air again but now Pikachu gets it. He grabs onto a lamp as he is thrown up into the air and zaps out the power in the stadium. Espeon then throws a blind Zap Cannon in the air and Pikachu counters witha Thunder which directly hits Espeon for major damage.

Pikachu then goes on a roll. He smacks Espeon withan Iron Tail and just before Espeon shoots another Zap Cannon, Pika uses Volt Tackle and Espeon is knocked out.

Wow! That took a lot of time. Anyways that's how it went down...and no turning off the lights isn't cheating. He used Espeon's Psychic to do it along witha Thunderbolt attack.

Almighty Zard
31st March 2006, 5:21 PM
Oh my god, this episode is going to make so many Anabel + Ashships...check out this series of pictures from this ep.

There's only need for one,"Towershipping." And i guess it would be semi-active because going by what Contestshippers are going by (With May blushing over Drew recently.) it could become something strong. After all the tower seems to be near Pallet Town so i don't see why Anabel couldn't stop by Ash's for a visit.

But that's enough about that. I beleive Espeon is Anabel's weakest pokemon and should have been used first. Cause unlike Alakazam and Metagross Espeon hardly hurt Pikachu at all.

The Benmeister
31st March 2006, 5:23 PM
Isn't turning off the lights during the match considered cheating? I don't think Ash is really worthy of the Ability symbol. I think Anabel gave it to Ash because she has feelings for him.

You could say that. Or, you could call it clever tactics. Then again, that would be odd because you could call the Pewter gym match clever tactics...only it wasn't, really.

Pikachu
31st March 2006, 5:30 PM
But that's enough about that. I beleive Espeon is Anabel's weakest pokemon and should have been used first. Cause unlike Alakazam and Metagross Espeon hardly hurt Pikachu at all.

Actually, Espeon had control of the match until the blackout.

Nintendo Theatre
31st March 2006, 5:32 PM
Actually, Espeon had control of the match until the blackout.

I was just about to add that. Really if the lights didn't go out, Pikachu probably would have lost against Espeon. Every attack, Espeon kept counter-attacking.

Torkoal Stu
31st March 2006, 5:33 PM
OMG this is better than I thought.

* Look at Anabels' ref, doesn't he look (http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/309.jpg) so much better (http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/185.jpg) than any other before?

* Anabel (http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/428.jpg) also looks so much more like a girl, I mean blushing!

* Tauros and Corphish got redeemed IMO, I mean Tauros got thrahsed then got a draw, I mean improvement, also it learnt a new attack, and Corphish took down Alakzam..amazing only if Torkoal had than in Hoenn D:

* OMG Ash x Anabel, more plz <3

* Too bad Pikachu took the spotlight, but then again Sceptile would of been bad also. Domphan would of been my number one choice for a completely life saver victory.

* Don't you love how we see random Kanto Pokemon (http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/155.jpg) making cameo's all the time now? :D

Pretty good I guess.

Dreamcoat
31st March 2006, 5:35 PM

http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/424.jpg
http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/426.jpg
http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/427.jpg
http://www.filb.de/content/anime/ag170/428.jpg
Oh no. "Brock+Lucy" all over again...

V Faction
31st March 2006, 5:36 PM
Basically, this is a play by play of the entire battle, you can thank me later...
Hey, don't take this the wrong way, but why should I thank you? I simply wanted a list of the attacks used, not a "play-by-play". You even confused Focus Punch with Mega Punch! To top it off, you put everything in spoilers for no reason at all (not like you'd be in trouble for not using spoiler tags, dude).

So thanks but it was unnecessary.

*sigh* Okay, so can someone confirm that the attack used by Espeon was Shadow Ball?

Aldrius
31st March 2006, 5:55 PM
We should all be thankful for someone going to so much effort to display information in a cohesive way.

...So yeah, thanks... :P

The Big Al
31st March 2006, 6:10 PM
My random post to make sure I've posted in every episode discussion of season 9. I'll post more when the pictures come in.

For now I'll simply say that towershipping is here and I doub it'll go away any time soon. Just what we need, poor Ash with yet another girl after his heart in eyes of his fans.

I'll ned to see the battle to critique it. Check in later today.

CyberCubed
31st March 2006, 6:20 PM
And how is Ash/Anabel any different than the other one-shot ships we have? I admit it is a very cute pairing, but Anabel will probably never show up again.

This is different from Brock/Lucy, May/Sid, Ash/Melody, Ash/Macy, Drew/Wakana, Misty/Rudy how?

I guess the writers want their main characters to be "hot stuff," with various one-shot and recurring characters crushing on them. Since nearly all those characters will never appear again in the anime, it's mostly for fun.

As said, the only main character that hasn't been crushed on this season is Max. :D There was Max/Vivi from the Winstrates in Hoenn, but nothing in the Battle Frontier.

The Big Al
31st March 2006, 6:37 PM
Yeah, but even the older one shot ships still has its followers.

V Faction
31st March 2006, 6:59 PM
A blush shows up and then ZOUNDS! Tons of ships.

We should all be thankful for someone going to so much effort to display information in a cohesive way.
You can be thankful if you want.

Nintendo Theatre
31st March 2006, 7:48 PM
You can be thankful if you want.

I was definitely kidding, I didn't actually mean I needed to be thanked. Geez...

Flamez
31st March 2006, 10:48 PM
Seen the episode, and for the people wondering why may called out combusken, ash was trying to talk to corphish telepathically and may was trying to do that with combusken but both got tired and just sat back. Then ash tried to talk to anabel telepathically but he failed, but anabel had some glitters in her eyes, and ofcourse at the end of the episode blushing cuz ash shaked her hand.

alright now onto to the battle, corphish vs. Alakazam nicely done with ofcourse corphish getting some retribution and giving a great battle. corphish got confused and ash recalled it back while alakazam was falling back from being hit by corphishs attack and then ash sent it right back out and ordered a bubblebeam attack and won, Nice strategy to get it out of confusion, as mentioned by Scott (im guessing cuz he did say something about that, but ofcourse my japanese translation isn't that good)
Tauros vs. Metagross i actually liked the fact that they had a draw i mean common all tauros does is probably run around while metagross prob trains with anabel and battles alot of opponents, so for tauros to get 2 episodes, a new attack and a draw is actually pretty good IMO.
Pikachu vs. Espeon, as others have said pikachu was getting owned before the lights went out. Espeon was quick and strong but ash blinded the arena and that gave pikachu the advantage. And for those people saying that ash blinding the arena is cheating and stuff like that,u people are stupid thats using the whole battlefield in a very smart way. Just like ash had grovyle use leaf blade on the water to get walrein out and knew it would use ice beam but grovyle dodged and the whole field turned into ice, taking away the advantage of walrien getting into the water. And there have been more matches that ash utilzed the battlefield for a win. Dont hate appreciate.lol

Overall i really liked the episode, corphish and tauros interacting with ash and the battle was handled extremely well, i give it 10/10.

Serebii
31st March 2006, 10:52 PM
People, can you please refrain from linking to filb's pictures, I'm pretty sure he doesnt want the leeched b/w

CyberCubed
31st March 2006, 10:53 PM
Seen the episode, and for the people wondering why may called out combusken, ash was trying to talk to corphish telepathically and may was trying to do that with combusken but both got tired and just sat back.

Ahahaha. I love it when the writers play on Ash and May's naivete, we haven't seen something like this in a while. Ash/May trying to talk to their Pokemon telepathically is really great comedy. :D

Did Anabel say anything about wanting to see Ash again as the episode was ending?

Flamez
31st March 2006, 11:13 PM
Yeah the part where ash and may were trying to talk to their pokemon telepathically was funny. Especially corphish, its just so funny looking and it was staring at ash like, what the hell are you doing? lol.

o about anabel cyber i really dont know i couldn't pick anything up but even if she didnt say anything judging from how attached she got with ash she would definetly love to see him again, i dont think ash has ever been this closely attached to a gym leader or frontier brain before. correct me if im wrong. You know something though corphish has proved time after time that it doesn't have to evolve to be strong but what if it did, i really think if ash trained it and continued to put it in battles corphish could be near invincible.

The Great Butler
31st March 2006, 11:42 PM
One heck of a great episode. Anabel's tactic with having Alakazam use Focus Punch was weird. Nice to see Tauros get its due somewhat, and at least Ash tried something different by knocking out the lights in the final round.

As for Ash+Anabel, it's a cute pairing and a semi-true one, but EnigmaShadowShipping (Rich+Anabel) will live forever! So go read it in Fan Fics.....

Heh. I'll definitely tape this one when it's dubbed.

JazzJazz
31st March 2006, 11:47 PM
I doubt it, but am curious if Ash was shown sending tauros back to Oak's at the end of this episode...

GreenKirby
31st March 2006, 11:54 PM
Amusing battle. Even Pikachu would have lost if they lights weren't off, it was still a pretty good battle, IMO. Now that Ash has 6 symbols, I cannot wait for the Battle Pyramid.

Geodude
31st March 2006, 11:58 PM
Espeon then throws a blind Shadow Ball in the air and Pikachu counters witha Thunder which directly hits Espeon for major damage.
Wrong. Espeon did NOT use Shadow Ball. You'd know too, because it has pretty much exactly the same name in Japanese. (Picture the term "Shadow Ball" pronounced with a Japanese accent.) That attack, surprisingly, was Zap Cannon. And for those who may not remember, Espeon could learn it as a TM in the G/S/C days.

Jikkle
1st April 2006, 12:04 AM
Eh was an ok episode. Finally did a getting chased by beedrill gag right by actually making it more of a light hearted gag rather than part of the plot *cough* Sceptile regains attacks episode *cough* Ash & Anabel interactions where nice but as cyber said earlier. What's the point when Anabel is more than likely gone to never be seen again. Now that I think about it besides the movies, I think Anabel has been the only girl to have an obvious crush on Ash. I suppose you can make a strong case for Misty though.

The battle was nice and generic like the normal 3v3 15 mins usually are. This epsiode reinforces why I hate Ash's lose episodes because by some mircale they learned how to duck and avoid the same attacks they where getting nailed with the previous battle :\

Honestly did Espeon really need to know Iron Tail? Are we doomed from now on to see every pokemon that has a tail use Iron Tail? Is it now a writer standard that when Pikachu uses Iron Tail against a pokemon with a tail that pokemon must counter with Iron Tail?

I would imagine also that turning out the lights wouldn't be considered cheating, considering it would be the same to me as melting an ice field, freezing a water field, turning a rock field into molten rock, etc. But since we've yet to see clear rules on what allowed to happen on a pokemon field in a battle it's hard to say if it would be cheating or not. To me the last episode where Ash blocked pikachu from volt tackling into a wall is more of a cheat than the lights.

NoDot
1st April 2006, 12:08 AM
That attack, surprisingly, was Zap Cannon.Huh??? What in the name of Zeus would convince them to make Zap Cannon look like that!?

Nintendo Theatre
1st April 2006, 12:10 AM
Wrong. Espeon did NOT use Shadow Ball. You'd know too, because it has pretty much exactly the same name in Japanese. (Picture the term "Shadow Ball" pronounced with a Japanese accent.) That attack, surprisingly, was Zap Cannon. And for those who may not remember, Espeon could learn it as a TM in the G/S/C days.

Thank you, very much for that. In my play-by-play I listed it as Shadow Ball. I just edited it...:)

Geodude
1st April 2006, 12:13 AM
Huh??? What in the name of Zeus would convince them to make Zap Cannon look like that!?
Now that I realized what it was, I'm pretty sure that's just about how it looked when we saw it last.

V Faction
1st April 2006, 12:15 AM
Well, if you can name any other time besides the Roxanne battle, I'll submit to that change....

Geodude
1st April 2006, 12:24 AM
Why would you ask for another time? The Roxanne battle is good enough, isn't it?

V Faction
1st April 2006, 12:29 AM
....Because the Roxanne battle's Zap Cannon had a completely different look AND had the look I was customed to!

Rather, I'm asking if there was another, more RECENT change to Zap Cannon that I some how overlooked. If not, then I once again question the needless changing of attack looks.

Geodude
1st April 2006, 1:29 AM
Look at it this way, giving an attack that hasn't been seen in a LONG time a new look will probably go over easier than suddenly giving a common attack a new look and forcing everyone to adjust to something they're used to seeing.

Infinite Master Sceptile
1st April 2006, 2:24 AM
Hmmmm...
All in all, not a very memorable battle. Except for Tauros being in it.
Gaaah! Why do the writers love Espeon so much? Is it possible that....no, better not think about that.
Corphish is participating in this one because he will not be in the Pyramid battle. If our info is correct, Squirtle's return would render Corphish depositable. Which is sad, but likely.

Gravy
1st April 2006, 2:48 AM
I really didn't care for this episode. I got more out of the first 12 or so minutes of character interaction and foolhardy Team Rocket antics then I did out of the actual battle. There weren't any outstanding strategies used, so it got pretty stale as the fight progressed.

Corphish against Alakazam was the best of the three, but something about it irked me. Deja vu perhaps?
And surely there must be some rule against recalling a pokémon and then putting it back into the battle almost instantly? Suffice to say, I wasn't too fond of that little stunt. It did the job and all...but I say 'bah' to that.

Metagross vs. Tauros was mediocre at best, and it didn't help that it was as short as Hinata's outfit-of-choice. I also found it strange that Anabel was quite content to let Metagross just stand there and let Tauros throw it around like a rag-doll, when in the previous match she seemed to favour using psychic attacks to crap all over Ash's 'charge at the opponent' tactic.

Espeon vs. Pikachu was downright boring. ~Woah, Iron Tail and Quick attack, I'm impressed~ Though I DID like the idea of disabling everyone's vision. It's nice when they take adantage of the surroundings, be they organic or man-made. I wish they'd do that kind of thing more often infact.
Speaking of which. Where exactly did the handicap of Espeon's forehead-gem glowing in the dark to make it a sitting duck spring from? Did they make any mention of that in it's pokédex entry, or did they just pull some more bs out of nowhere?

And just a note. I thought it was awesome to see a flock of Farfetch'd doin' what ducks do best.
...wha?....eating bread?....
...What ducks do SECOND best then.

Also, Team Rocket's 'mecha'? It was both the greatest and stupidest contraption they've ever concocted.
Oh, and the random Haruka/Combusken scene was a crowd pleaser. And by crowd, I mean Gravy.

ArrEmmDee
1st April 2006, 2:57 AM
I really didn't care for this episode. I got more out of the first 12 or so minutes of character interaction and foolhardy Team Rocket antics then I did out of the actual battle. There weren't any outstanding strategies used, so it got pretty stale as the fight progressed.

Corphish against Alakazam was the best of the three, but something about it irked me. Deja vu perhaps?
And surely there must be some rule against recalling a pokémon and then putting it back into the battle almost instantly? Suffice to say, I wasn't too fond of that little stunt. It did the job and all...but I say 'bah' to that.

Metagross vs. Tauros was mediocre at best, and it didn't help that it was as short as Hinata's outfit-of-choice. I also found it strange that Anabel was quite content to let Metagross just stand there and let Tauros throw it around like a rag-doll, when in the previous match she seemed to favour using psychic attacks to crap all over Ash's 'charge at the opponent' tactic.

Espeon vs. Pikachu was downright boring. ~Woah, Iron Tail and Quick attack, I'm impressed~ Though I DID like the idea of disabling everyone's vision. It's nice when they take adantage of the surroundings, be they organic or man-made. I wish they'd do that kind of thing more often infact.
Speaking of which. Where exactly did the handicap of Espeon's forehead-gem glowing in the dark to make it a sitting duck spring from? Did they make any mention of that in it's pokédex entry, or did they just pull some more bs out of nowhere?

And just a note. I thought it was awesome to see a flock of Farfetch'd doin' what ducks do best.
...wha?....eating bread?....
...What ducks do SECOND best then.

Also, Team Rocket's 'mecha'? It was both the greatest and stupidest contraption they've ever concocted.
Oh, and the random Haruka/Combusken scene was a crowd pleaser. And by crowd, I mean Gravy.

It seems everything I wanted to say was said by this very delightful Gravy chap and then some. Seriously. I have nothing to add. Just emphasise the awesome+stupidity of the Wobbuffet Inflation Mech...thing. It wasn't really a mech, yeah...

Oh wait I do have something to add--that saves the panic of potentially being in complete mental sync with someone whose username is a KFC addon. And that is the fact I burst into laughter when the Beedrill showed up-- they're just so cliché now, I think it's becoming hilarious, almost in a TR manner.

Nintendo Theatre
1st April 2006, 3:15 AM
[QUOTE=ArrEmmDee]Just emphasise the awesome+stupidity of the Wobbuffet Inflation Mech...thing. It wasn't really a mech, yeah...QUOTE]

Is this the first time they used an inflatable mech? (I mean other than the Meowth balloon)

V Faction
1st April 2006, 3:52 AM
Look at it this way, giving an attack that hasn't been seen in a LONG time a new look will probably go over easier than suddenly giving a common attack a new look and forcing everyone to adjust to something they're used to seeing.
In my original post, if you notice, I said I'd be content with the new look if an episode not too long ago had the same effect.

To my knowledge I don't think there is.

But hell, it's expected. Mega Kick was used in the Hoenn League, a great deal more recent than Roxanne's battle, and they changed that for Combusken. Can't they even used the cliché "Every Pokemon used it in its own special way" excuse?

HoennMaster
1st April 2006, 4:26 AM
The battle seemed way to rushed for a rematch

Torkoal Stu
1st April 2006, 5:34 AM
I doubt it, but am curious if Ash was shown sending tauros back to Oak's at the end of this episode...
We never see him do it anymore :/ But its 99.99% chance he sent Tauros back, it happened with Heracross, Snorlax ect and we didn't even see them get sent back D:

HoennMaster
1st April 2006, 6:04 AM
Well, he could have kept it, I guess we will find out in the next episode

jolteonjak
1st April 2006, 6:17 AM
I'd have to agree with HoennMaster. It did seem like a very rushed battle. Not to single Annabel out or anything, but they could have used this episode to train then go back next episode to rechallenge.

Seriously..what changed? Did Pikachu, Tauros, and Corphish need another lap to learn how to defeat Annabel? They really could have planned this much better (ending here because I'm going into speculation territory)...

The Flat World
1st April 2006, 6:19 AM
It makes sense that Metagross tied with Tauros. Metagross is in line with those powerhouses like Dragonite, Tyraitar and Salamence. It's no pushover.

Pikachu vs Espeon... boring. It's been a looooooooooooooooooong time since Pikachu's battles became painfully boring to watch. I thought Volt Tackle would compensate for its over-appearance, but I was wrong.

And I don't expect Corphish to evolve, EVER. From early Hoenn, I knew that Treecko would eventually grow into a Sceptile, Taillow into Swellow, Snorunt into Glalie, and Phanpy into Donphan. I have always had this INCREDIBLY strong feeling that Corphish would never evolve.[/overconfident ranting]

MugenKeiji
1st April 2006, 8:43 AM
And how is Ash/Anabel any different than the other one-shot ships we have? I admit it is a very cute pairing, but Anabel will probably never show up again.

Somehow I saw it coming, expect a shipping community in about 2 days to a week.

Seriously though, I just think it's a common write off in anime when two equals of the opposite sex build up some sort of admiration that's almost like a crush but a far cry from infatuation.

Anabel probably admires the type of person Ash represents as far as Pokemon trainers go. It's like when a genius colleague respects your methods, you can't help BUT feel a little flattered.

Still, it's not likely we'll see her in a future episode, it's just about as likely as we'll see most Gym Leaders again.

How many Pokeshippers will make effigies of poor Annie to burn I wonder?

Yamato-san
1st April 2006, 10:22 AM
XD This seems to be the second time Heigani battled decently when he was confused (the first being against Kaede's Golduck). That guy really seems to have a knack for it, doesn't he?

I don't have much to comment on this episode. Just what Gravy said about how the battle seemed a tad rushed, the high-point probably being Pikachu taking out the lights, and the beginning being great with the interaction and Rocket Dan's mech. And was there any point to giving Kentauros Double Team? Some complaints about it is that the move's kinda redundant now (given, Satoshi never had a Double Teamer for most of the series, but he recently gained two in AG in the form of Oosubame and Onigohri. Kentauros doesn't even learn it naturally). Now, it seems as though those complaints are gonna go towards a technique that had no purpose in the first place, considering Metagross simply mowed down all the copies and successfully hit with Hyper Beam. Well, either Double Team can never show up on Kentauros again and said complainers can be happy, or now that it's there, hope Kentauros can make some damn good use of it in a future appearance. I'd be inclined to lean towards the latter.

And it's a shame they couldn't have done a bit more with Lila training Satoshi ahd Haruka to use telepathy (damn, we've come a long way from the first Kantou saga, which made it look like people had to be born with the rare ability to use telepathy). It's like she's giving this big explanation on it, but it ends up going nowhere. Honestly, it would've been nice to see Satoshi gain that ability, considering in the games, you obviously don't shout your command for your opponent to hear, and the Special manga even delved on commanding Pokemon without shouting (Green). But maybe after about 500 episodes, the writers are just too accustomed to shouting commands or something.

Anyway, I wonder what Enishida was implying at the end. He's saying something like "And now... you'll understand when you get there." And god, please let the Battle Pyramid's location be another sign that Takeshi will be leaving soon.

dannyphantomhott
1st April 2006, 6:49 PM
OK from what I saw in the images it looked like a cool episode. I just hope that gyme leader comes back, to me she's the perfect match for Ash YAY. I'm a Towershipper all the way hehe. Maybe she could come back and travel with Ash in the next season, yah never know. And also there was a couple of girls who had there hearts for Ash in the show, one of them was in the fifth season {I forget there names} Any who yah best episode ever. I loved the blushingness.

Sceptile Warrior
1st April 2006, 11:51 PM
I think like what numerous people said that we will see squirtle again in the battle pyramid and ash might use charizard again.

.::Lynee::.
2nd April 2006, 12:45 AM
One of the best episode in BF ^^

Ash was stronger than before in this battle and that suprises me is taking out the lights. I'm very very impressed by it. A good idea!

What shocked me then is Anabel's expression. I think she's got a crush on Ash and I hope she'll appear again. But it seems to be hard to happen :(

~Flareon~
2nd April 2006, 2:58 PM
I saw the episode pictures already. The rematch between Ash and Anabel in the Battle Tower. Finally Ash defeats her and gets the symbol(don't know what symbol is)
This is the battle that Ash and Anabel won or lost:
Corphish VS Alakazam: Corphish wins
Corphish VS Metagross: Metagross wins
Tauros VS Metagross: Both knocked out
Pikachu VS Espeon: Pikachu wins

Rodian
2nd April 2006, 3:02 PM
Yay for Corphish! I'm a bit upset that I didn't at least do a little better against Metagross. Tauros did excellent too! - And of course the Powerrat would beat Espeon. ;(

Darkstorm16
2nd April 2006, 3:34 PM
Too bad Tauros couldn't last for another round.

Chatsy
2nd April 2006, 5:29 PM
My lord, it was hilarious when Ash and his Pokémon ran away from the Beedrill in terror, then when he sees Anabel, he suddenly smiles and kind of greets her while still running away from the furious Beedrill. XD
The music at the first half of this episode was generally goofy and made it all seem fun.

Funny how Anabel and Ash both gigglesnorted at eachother when they saw eachother covered in... what's it called? Seaweed? Meh.. It was cute.

I wonder what Ash was thinking when he and Anabel stared at eachother because we did hear what he and May thought when they stared at Corphish and Combusken. Nonetherless, I think whatever Ash was thinking it was the cause of Anabel blushing. I could be wrong, of course, but I otherwise don't get why she suddenly gets all crushy (new word?) just by staring.
Or maybe I missed something in the "romance + eyecontact" thing.

It seemed Scott found it smart of Ash to return Corphish and then send it right back to end its confusion. The games strategy is somewhat the same, though I have yet to experience return and then call out the very same Pokémon in the same round.
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with doing this if it'll end the confusion. Corphish was hit, anyway, so it wasn't as if Ash recalled Corphish while it was being held in an attack, like Psychic.
Isn't it the same like using Potion in the middle of a battle, anyway?

The Tauros vs Metagross battle was way too short. It was like Tausos taking the hit, try to attack, taking the hit, try to attack, taking the hit and both faint. But then again, I can't think of anything better, so it would be the same "fail attack and take the hit" just longer. D:

The Espeon vs Pikachu battle was... different. Though, I did like how Espeon countered Pikachu's Quick Attack and Iron Tail with the very same attacks, just faster and thus more powerful.
I liked how they showed that despite Espeon taking "silent" commands which is for its own advantage, it's pretty hopeless when "blinded". Good to prove that being telepathic doesn't necessarily make one invinsible or "all that".

Heehee, Anabel fell in love with her hand XD
*shot*

Jikkle
2nd April 2006, 9:56 PM
Okay just watched the episode again and I have a few more observations.

Ok where do I get friends like May, Max, and Brock? Ash and Anabel mess around in the water with Corphish while the rest of the gang prepares a nice lunch :p Also that must be one heck of a nice hat Ash has for being able to jump in the water and not move an inch.

Okay in the Pikachu vs Espeon battle how in the world did Espeon miss with Zap Cannon when Pikachu was running straight at it with Volt Tackle? I mean cmon like that's a really difficult shot to miss and it completely wiffs with Zap Cannon sheesh. That's gotta be up there in the biggest choke jobs by a Pokemon in anime.

Rufinito18
2nd April 2006, 10:00 PM
I liked the episode ( just saw it) But I must say...I was dissapointed in the battle...it was rushed...very rushed in my opinion, and it bothered me when satoshi recalled corpshish...hey thats me... and eefi missing pikachuu by an inch...that was stupid

Chatsy
3rd April 2006, 8:06 AM
Okay just watched the episode again and I have a few more observations.

Ok where do I get friends like May, Max, and Brock? Ash and Anabel mess around in the water with Corphish while the rest of the gang prepares a nice lunch :p Also that must be one heck of a nice hat Ash has for being able to jump in the water and not move an inch.

Okay in the Pikachu vs Espeon battle how in the world did Espeon miss with Zap Cannon when Pikachu was running straight at it with Volt Tackle? I mean cmon like that's a really difficult shot to miss and it completely wiffs with Zap Cannon sheesh. That's gotta be up there in the biggest choke jobs by a Pokemon in anime.
It was Zap Cannon?

Well, either way in the games that attack has pretty crap accuary, so it's so surprise it missed. Besides, Espeon was likely very confused/disoriented after the lights went back on (ever tried to have the lights immediately turned off then after a while have them on again? It's murder for the eyes @.@)
Or Pikachu ducked.

Ash's hat is a mystery. In the eighth movie it flew off but in the episodes it stays on, unless the writers has a plot for Ash to chase it. Ah, the wonders of Pokémon =D

Bliksem
3rd April 2006, 9:23 AM
I'm wondering whatever happened to Espeon's championed ability to sense its opponents actions through subtle changes in air currents. Surely it couldn't have been THAT reliant on sight. The battles didn't leave me satisfied at all. It's impossible that his Pokemon should improve that much within such a short amount of time, unless of course Anabel fought worse than normal. But I suppose she's just telepathetic and not clairvoyent. But then that goes back to the incidental forgetting of Espeon's abilities.

Chatsy
3rd April 2006, 11:30 AM
I'm wondering whatever happened to Espeon's championed ability to sense its opponents actions through subtle changes in air currents. Surely it couldn't have been THAT reliant on sight. The battles didn't leave me satisfied at all. It's impossible that his Pokemon should improve that much within such a short amount of time, unless of course Anabel fought worse than normal. But I suppose she's just telepathetic and not clairvoyent. But then that goes back to the incidental forgetting of Espeon's abilities.
Pikachu hid on a lamp.
I doubt that affects the air currents the slightest if it just stays in place and fires off its attacks.

skarmachild
3rd April 2006, 2:00 PM
I liked the episode ( just saw it) But I must say...I was dissapointed in the battle...it was rushed...very rushed in my opinion, and it bothered me when satoshi recalled corpshish...hey thats me... and eefi missing pikachuu by an inch...that was stupid

I thought it was pretty funny. Also, why are you using the English names, then switch to the Japanese names?

The episode was interesting in terms of shipping, the battle was so-so.

Rodian
3rd April 2006, 3:16 PM
Ash recalled Corphish after it beat Alakazam? You know...he probably realised it couldn't beat Metagross and withdrew it to protect it from harm. Y'know...like you would do if you cared about something? >_> Anyway. The Pikarat would obviously conclude the battle.

Chatsy
3rd April 2006, 3:25 PM
Ash recalled Corphish after it beat Alakazam? You know...he probably realised it couldn't beat Metagross and withdrew it to protect it from harm. Y'know...like you would do if you cared about something? >_> Anyway. The Pikarat would obviously conclude the battle.
No, Ash recalled Corphish after it got confused and hit by an attack from Alakazam, then called it out again immdeiately, likely to end Corphish's confusion.

He kept it out after it beat Alakazam, and got knocked out by Metagross after one attack.

TeddiUrsa
3rd April 2006, 8:43 PM
sure, the tauros / metagross battle was kinda short but..what can you do with tauros anyway? all its attacks are slightly different versions of tackle, it can´t do more other than run into things....I don´t know why tauros is so popular, it´s boring. ( well, give it at least some different moves)

Rodian
3rd April 2006, 9:00 PM
No, Ash recalled Corphish after it got confused and hit by an attack from Alakazam, then called it out again immdeiately, likely to end Corphish's confusion.

He kept it out after it beat Alakazam, and got knocked out by Metagross after one attack.

Wouldn't that be classed as using a turn? ><; Like...it was a 3 on 3 match, since Ash did that, Corphish should have been counted as being used twice. :/

Chatsy
3rd April 2006, 9:06 PM
Wouldn't that be classed as using a turn? ><; Like...it was a 3 on 3 match, since Ash did that, Corphish should have been counted as being used twice. :/
I don't think a 3 on 3 match means calling out Pokémon 3 times, but rather 3 Pokémon in total.
So Corphish being used "twice" is rather irrelevant.

But yes, Ash kinda used his "turn" by recalling and then sending out Corphish again and yet still managed to perform an attack.
But it has happened before that the anime doesn't follow the "first you attack, then I attack, then you attack etc." thing like in the games. Or so I believe.

ghost master
3rd April 2006, 9:07 PM
sure, the tauros / metagross battle was kinda short but..what can you do with tauros anyway? all its attacks are slightly different versions of tackle, it can´t do more other than run into things....I don´t know why tauros is so popular, it´s boring. ( well, give it at least some different moves)Its movepool has variety. It can learn icy wind, blizzard, icebeam, hyperbeam, Thunder, shockwave, Solarbeam, iron tail, fire blast, earthquake rock tomb, etc. Tauros is hardly a boring pokemon with only tackle esque moves. Its just the writers dont feel the need to give it any interesting attacks.

Rodian
3rd April 2006, 9:08 PM
I don't think a 3 on 3 match means calling out Pokémon 3 times, but rather 3 Pokémon in total.
So Corphish being used "twice" is rather irrelevant.

But yes, Ash kinda used his "turn" by recalling and then sending out Corphish again and yet still managed to perform an attack.
But it has happened before that the anime doesn't follow the "first you attack, then I attack, then you attack etc." thing like in the games. Or so I believe.

Yeah, that's probably right. But I'd still class it as cheating, I also don't understand how being recalled would rid Corphish of fatigue. o_o

Gravy
3rd April 2006, 9:16 PM
Its just the writers dont feel the need to give it any interesting attacks.
...which makes it a boring pokémon with tackling attacks.
Granted, pokémon like Swellow are in the same boat, but that thing can maneuver like nobodies' business. Weaving in and out of attacks, swooping high and low, dive bombing the opponent.
Tauros just charges in a straight line. Yay?

hustenapfel
3rd April 2006, 9:18 PM
I knew,that Espeon used Zap Cannon!^^It looked like the one Alakazam used in,,Power Play´´ against Gary´s Umbreon.

Rodian
...which makes it a boring pokémon with tackling attacks.
Granted, pokémon like Swellow are in the same boat, but that thing can maneuver like nobodies' business. Weaving in and out of attacks, swooping high and low, dive bombing the opponent.
Tauros just charges in a straight line. Yay?

I'm guessing your talking about Tauros? Another point to bring up is it hasn't actually had any formal training from Ash, they've all been rotting away at Oak's, like most of Ash's other Pokémon. I, personally, would have preferred a Torkoal vs. Metagross fight over Tauros. :/

CyberCubed
Since we only see Tauros once every 180+ episodes, the writers must feel there's no need to give it anything new.

Of all the reserves, isn't Charizard the only one that got new attacks in the BF saga? That's probably because Charizard will continually show up a hell of a lot more than the others, which is why they focus on him.

Chatsy
3rd April 2006, 9:29 PM
I also don't understand how being recalled would rid Corphish of fatigue. o_o
That's the ironic part.
It rids the Pokémon's confusion in the game by doing so @.@

Guess the writers are making their own little world by mixing everything up from time to time.

Yamato-san
3rd April 2006, 10:52 PM
Since we only see Tauros once every 180+ episodes, the writers must feel there's no need to give it anything new.

Of all the reserves, isn't Charizard the only one that got new attacks in the BF saga? That's probably because Charizard will continually show up a hell of a lot more than the others, which is why they focus on him.

Actually, Kabigon got Protect, and of course, Kentauros suddenly got Double Team. But Gravy's right, they should be doing more with the guy than just charging. What the hell ever happened to his ground-based attacks from the Orange championship?

Geodude
4th April 2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah, that's probably right. But I'd still class it as cheating, I also don't understand how being recalled would rid Corphish of fatigue. o_o
It would rid it of confusion, not fatigue. There is a clear and obvious difference.

Rodian
4th April 2006, 10:06 AM
^ Yes. You are correct. :/ I thought fatigue and confusion were the same thing. I guess I was wrong.

shigilyboohoo
19th April 2006, 12:31 AM
Ash's hat is a mystery. In the eighth movie it flew off but in the episodes it stays on, unless the writers has a plot for Ash to chase it. Ah, the wonders of Pokémon =D

His head was still full of air from the last battle with Anabel, probably

shikazuchu
2nd May 2006, 3:51 AM
I have recently watched this episode.

Did Anabel get a crush on Ash?

She blushed after both shaked hands in commemoration of Ash winning the Ability symbol and then stared at her hand that touched Ash's.

Or it was more of a platonic feeling?

CyberCubed
2nd May 2006, 3:57 AM
She liked him.

Apparently she says, "Satoshi, you never did understand how I feel." after she blushed and held her hand when the episode was ending.

Ragnarok
25th May 2006, 11:10 PM
She liked him.

Apparently she says, "Satoshi, you never did understand how I feel." after she blushed and held her hand when the episode was ending.

I knew it.I knew this would happen:D

eonteam123456
17th November 2006, 8:12 AM
Again, Anabel's coolest was Metagross. I love Psychic Pokemon.

Darkness Angel
28th November 2006, 1:38 AM
Glad that Espon appeared again.

WaterDragon trainer
28th November 2006, 1:39 AM
This episode was awesome. It was funny when TR got flattened by Munchlax. It was weird when Ash and May tried to talk to Corphish and Combusken telepathically. The battle music was pretty cool. It was awesome when Ash recalled Corphish, then sending him out again. It was kind of surprising that Espeon knew Zap Cannon. The battle between Espeon and Pikachu was awesome. The entire battle was awesome as well. It was kinda cool to see that Anabel liked Ash.

Almighty Zard
28th November 2006, 1:40 AM
Cartoon network, slow the heck down, anyway i liked the majority of the episode, except some portions of the battle (more than anything the Corphish part)

old guard truthseeker
28th November 2006, 1:47 AM
Cartoon network, slow the heck down, anyway i liked the majority of the episode, except some portions of the battle (more than anything the Corphish part)

I know this is the wrong thread, but it's supposed to be 'Second Time's THE Charm.'

Almighty Zard
28th November 2006, 1:52 AM
I know this is the wrong thread, but it's supposed to be 'Second Time's THE Charm.'

did you have something to say? well i forgot to add i enjoyed the fact they kept in the line at the end about thier feelings.

Juputoru
28th November 2006, 2:13 AM
Loved this ep months ago when it first came out, still love it now.

-Ash telling Corphish to use Harden made me laugh a bit more than it probably should have.
-I don't quite get the "it's dark, so the psychic link is broken!" thing. I guess it was because Espeon got freaked out or something, but to be honest I was kind of zoning out right then.
-Haha, they kept the "you didn't ever sense my feelings" thing. Not that I expected them to get rid of it, but still.
-May commenting that Anabel's Metagross was huge was odd, since there's the fact that she saw it before. >>
-"Let's use speed this time"...nice way to announce your strategy, Ash.
-Remember kiddies...Corphish is awesome. Why? Because I SAID SO!

Ah, this brings back memories of when some people actually thought Anabel would join the group. Cute as her interactions with Ash are, I never quite got why they thought that would ever happen. Oh well.

Mandi.
28th November 2006, 2:32 AM
Great episode. Anabel's little crush on Ash was so cute. <3 I loved the part where she told Ash to try to sense her feelings. But he couldn't. D:

Ash and May trying to interact with Corphish and Combusken through their minds was hilarious. Poor Pokemon probably thought their trainers were retarded, if they hadn't already. xD

The battle was very good. Ash got a little help from the lights going off, but we all knew he would win anyways.

raticatelover
28th November 2006, 4:22 AM
Harden, harden, harden!
That's good comedy right there folks it is.

Other than the weird return pokemon then release it again right after, the fight was really cool.

DEM ending though when the lights turned off and Espeon got nervous.

S.Suikun
28th November 2006, 4:39 AM
The dub was interesting on the BGM front. You know that piece that played during Corphish vs. Alakazam? It's used regularly in the Japanese version, but this is the first time I ever recall it being used for the dub. The piece was changed for matches like Sceptile vs. Claydol and Munchlax vs. Octillery, so I'm not sure what brought on the change of heart here. On the other hand, changing the "goofy" music for the TR scene to a more serious one kinda killed how pathetic their plan was supposed to be.

I may not have liked Anabel's dub voice, but her acting was superb. Her commands being somewhat hesitant made it seem more realistic than gym leaders in the past.

Also, Espeon kept its Japanese voice. It clearly said "Efui".

CyberCubed
28th November 2006, 4:55 AM
Ash and May trying to interact with Corphish and Combusken through their minds was hilarious. Poor Pokemon probably thought their trainers were retarded, if they hadn't already. xD

Heh, I agree. I always liked the scenes where May and Ash ended up doing the same thing, in this case both of them attempting to read the minds of their Pokemon like Anabel could do. Silly scenes that show how naive they are were always fun to watch, especially ones where Max would then make fun of them. (such as in the Bagon episode in mid-Hoenn, where he calls both Ash and May immature for daydreaming about soaring the skies like Bagon wanted to do when it evolved, and then they both yell at him at the same time. :D )

Too bad we won't get anymore scenes like that after this season. :/

Medea
28th November 2006, 11:06 AM
Damn homewrecker >_>

Oh yeah, Anabel is a future homewrecker. But of course Ash is still so damn oblivious when it comes to love. As for the episode (which I saw half at 9pm and the other half at midnight when I woke up) was okay. The battle of course was pretty awsome (and it would have been much better if she had a damn Gardevoir and not Alakazam, Gardevoir is VERY underused). But I digress. Oh and back to my homewrecker comment. Ash and Anabel are indeed cute, I will admit that. But I stick to my theories and hatred for plenty of things and stick the fact that I hate that shipping. Oh yes, ONE MORE THING!

Ash: Harden, harden, harden
May: Peck, peck, peck

LOL!

Mandi.
28th November 2006, 7:40 PM
Heh, I agree. I always liked the scenes where May and Ash ended up doing the same thing, in this case both of them attempting to read the minds of their Pokemon like Anabel could do. Silly scenes that show how naive they are were always fun to watch, especially ones where Max would then make fun of them. (such as in the Bagon episode in mid-Hoenn, where he calls both Ash and May immature for daydreaming about soaring the skies like Bagon wanted to do when it evolved, and then they both yell at him at the same time. :D )

Too bad we won't get anymore scenes like that after this season. :/

They do that quite a lot. xD And I agree, watching scenes with them doing that is very entertaining to watch. x3 Some of the most fun moments to watch.

Ah yeah, that sucks that AG is over. But we can always re-watch the episodes. Nothing new, but its still great to watch them over again. x3

Polursine
28th November 2006, 9:04 PM
Lol. When Ash returned Corphish, and sent it back out again, I thought it was a dubbing error!

I thought it was a nice episode, but could have spent more time battling, and less time doing everything else.

ShinyManafi
28th November 2006, 9:11 PM
LOL, Harden,Harden,Harden,Harden, Peck, Peck,Peck, Peck

And if only Ash could really see what was in Anabel's mind....
They could made Anabel sound younger, can anyone guess how old she even is?

Geodude
28th November 2006, 11:49 PM
DEM ending though when the lights turned off and Espeon got nervous.

I wouldn't consider something a DEM when a reasonable explanation can be given. Since the lights went out when Pikachu fired a Thunderbolt while standing on one of the lights, that probably shorted them. It then took a few minutes before the Tower's backup power came on. Sounds reasonable enough to me, what do you guys think?

Juputoru
29th November 2006, 12:15 AM
Eh, I just think Espeon got a tad TOO nervous for a psychic Pokemon that can supposedly read air currents. Surely it doesn't need light for all that? :/

And another thing I just remembered...Metagross and Tauros going head to head resulted in an EXPOSION! I just love making fun of the anime's random explosions, but that was just ridiculous. How in the hell does physical contact between a bull and a metal...thing...create an explosion? They weren't even using fancy glowing body parts as part of the attack animations! ...well, okay, Meteor Mash did, but still.

Uber_Gengar
29th November 2006, 12:17 AM
Isn't it kind of cheating that Pikachu shorted out the lights? though it might have been an accident

efl
29th November 2006, 12:47 AM
I know it was not fair was it?

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
29th November 2006, 12:54 AM
This episode was great, overall I did not like Anabel's voice much, sounded like Barbara from the Lucy episode.

The episode itself was entertaining. I laughed of what is everyone talking about how Ash and May tried to communicate their Pokemon telepathically.

Anabel's crush on Ash was cute, too bad Ash is obilvious on that subject. The battles were great, and I agree about with the random explosion. It was stupid, and it doesn't make sense. Hey, its Pokemon, what would u expect! The show with the random explosions... (sighs), but anyways, great eppie!

Knight_Ram
29th November 2006, 12:58 AM
I thought it was an ok reason for the lights to blow. But, Ash deserved to lose that match! He flucked the whole match! His Tauros should of lost... but if it had beatn that Metagross then that episode would have been a total lame one... but since Tauros drawed with it, then I guess it is ok. the Alakazam battle was pretty lame since Ash was just getting cheesey and just happen's to know what Corpfish was thinking. But it was an ok battle for the crab to win. And that final battle, ok I guess... Pikachu should have lost but since Scott did mention that zap cannon has a low accuracy then it makes sence that Ash basicly won the match by share luck! Anabel should of won the match and Ash should have tried one last time to battle and then beat Anabel in that battle but he did'nt and it never happend so yeah...too bad. Ok battle and ok storyline for this episode 8/10.

Jorah
29th November 2006, 5:03 PM
Ha, Anabel will never wash that hand again. It was pretty obvious that she fancied him, there were clues all around the episode. I thought that Espeon could sense things, so it wouldn't need light.

Geodude
29th November 2006, 9:53 PM
When the lights went out, both Anabel and Espeon were startled, so their psychic link was obviously severed. That's why the next thing Anabel said to Espeon was verbal.

Cobalt_Latios
30th November 2006, 5:15 AM
This episode was great, overall I did not like Anabel's voice much, sounded like Barbara from the Lucy episode.

The episode itself was entertaining. I laughed of what is everyone talking about how Ash and May tried to communicate their Pokemon telepathically.

Anabel's crush on Ash was cute, too bad Ash is obilvious on that subject. The battles were great, and I agree about with the random explosion. It was stupid, and it doesn't make sense. Hey, its Pokemon, what would u expect! The show with the random explosions... (sighs), but anyways, great eppie!

Somehow, this post was very close as to what i was going to say(well for one of the paragraphs anyways.)

Glad im not the only one who thought Anabel sounded like Barbara(though it took me some time to realise this). It wasnt a bad eppy at all, and i was actually impressed by the fact that Ash quickly returned and sent Corphish out to break him of confusion(i wish you could do that in the game, though i wouldnt be too sure of how that would work.). For the most part, i enjoyed it, though i find it interesting how you have Max exploiting facts of the game(normal attacks not being very effective against steel), and yet have the anime completely throw that fact out the window. That seems to be a running trend nowadays. Espeon was a neat little treat to see in such a long time, though i found it somewhat strange that Anabel didnt tell Espeon to "sense" where Pikachu was, despite telling Alakazam to do that when it couldnt see Corphish(range might have been a factor, but other factors couldve contributed). Pikachu using Volt Tackle to finish off Espeon was cool, and it seems to be a trademark of Pikachu. For Lucy it was like this too.

And of course, I couldnt forget that Anabel has a crush on Ash, and yet Ash couldnt sense a thing. Then again, after this long, it doesnt really surprise all that much. Poor Ash, hopefully, the writers will give him a bit more of a teenage mind. Then again, that might wreck something...

~C_L~

DarkPersian479
2nd December 2006, 10:35 PM
They sure like explosions, don't they? Last time I checked, a bull and a giant metal thingie colliding didn't go BOOM.

The writers seriously need to look up "dodge" in a thesaurus. Seriously, it seemed that every other phrase out of Ash's mouth was "Dodge that!" Would it kill them to use words like "Avoid" or "jump clear" or "five inches to the left"? Heck, maybe even throw in "Magnum that attack", or "Ram 1500 Quad Cab it, Pikachu!" Really, Ash is going to end up buying a Dodge someday just because he says the word so dang much!

Wow, another Beedrill swarm chases the crew. Saw THAT one coming...

And of course Ash don't realize Anabel's feelings for him. Pikachu is his, um... "life partner." Seriously, I'm sick of the cheesy Ash/Pikachu bonding scenes. Those two really need to get a room...

Meh, it's a Brain battle, so some points for that. An average eppie despite the issues above (which are present in other episodes as well)

King Wulfharth
3rd December 2006, 4:10 AM
man i knew anabel had feelings for ash when i saw the episode i had a feeling then she says it at the end

dnglover25
3rd December 2006, 4:19 AM
I liked it because im a Espeon and Metagross fan. The battles where good to with Tauros back.

Horn Drill
3rd December 2006, 5:16 AM
A Focus Punching Alakazam seemed kinda stupid to me. Alakazam isn't supposed to have any sort of good physical strength, so its Focus Punches would've been weak. =/

And that part where he withdrew then immediately sent out Corphish was definately the "WTF" moment of that episode. :rolleyes:

And Espeon is another Iron Tail user! :o Getting redundant, yes?

Swirling Squirtle
3rd December 2006, 5:05 PM
loved this episode lol

HARDE N HARDEN HARDEN ,Corphish??

PECK PECK PECK, Combusken??

and then when he returns corphish and sends him abck out, i mean im sure ash's pokemon have been confised alot but he never switched them in and then out but w/e lol HARDEN HARDEN HARDEN

Geodude
3rd December 2006, 6:09 PM
A Focus Punching Alakazam seemed kinda stupid to me. Alakazam isn't supposed to have any sort of good physical strength, so its Focus Punches would've been weak. =/
anime =/= games

DarkLatios
5th December 2006, 10:39 AM
Dang! Its already aired? I wanna see this! The Americans get everything! They get all the Pokemon we cant get eg: Mew, Celebi, they get lots of events and a new series while we Welshpeople get nothing!

Pokemon Fan
6th December 2006, 3:43 AM
the Alakazam battle was pretty lame since Ash was just getting cheesey and just happen's to know what Corpfish was thinking.
Not really since the main point of those scenes was to show that even if Ash doesn't sense thoughts like Anabel he (and any really good trainer) can still know their pokemon well enough to have a "kind" of mental link with them.

Pikachu should have lost but since Scott did mention that zap cannon has a low accuracy then it makes sence that Ash basicly won the match by share luck!
Actually it was a tactical error on Anabel's part and Ash was able to take advantage of it. As Scot said she got too excited by the moment and chose to combat a very powerful and fast incoming attack with a move that is relatively slow and has low accuracy. Had she been thinking clearly she would have ordered Espeon to attempt to dodge or use a move like Swift or Psybeam.

They sure like explosions, don't they? Last time I checked, a bull and a giant metal thingie colliding didn't go BOOM.
Maybe Metagross and Tauro's heads are packed with small amounts of nitroglycerin... just like most patches of ground and TR machines seem to have a compressed cube of the stuff in them just waiting for something to set it off...

Wow, another Beedrill swarm chases the crew. Saw THAT one coming...
It was better than most though, having a link to the previous episode, Ash laughingly informing her "I did it again!" and having the Beedrill actually STING something for once (poor Tauros).

When the lights went out, both Anabel and Espeon were startled, so their psychic link was obviously severed. That's why the next thing Anabel said to Espeon was verbal.
Exactly, as was explained to me on another site, Anabel and her pokemon depended so much on their link (which required both of them to remain as calm and composed as possible to work well) that when it was shattered by the shock of the lights going out, her pokemon was slow to adjust to using its abilties on its own and the link was difficult to regain, just as it was impossible for Anabel to talk to or understand the Beedrill when they were angry.

wobbanut
12th December 2006, 2:38 AM
I shouldn't have waited a week to review this episode, I can't remember a whole lot about the episode (battle-heavy episodes don't stick in my memory as good as dialogue-heavy episodes). I did like the battles, and I'm glad that Ash finally got his sixth Battle Frontier symbol. Probably the best fight was the Tauros/metagross battle, since Tauros has been proved to be a decent battler in the past and I'm glad he won despite a disadvantage. The scene where he gets stung by the beedrill and sends everyone into the river is great too. :D It was cool that Ash recalled Corphish and resent it to cure its confusion, and I liked that Pikachu got the advantage over espeon by turning off the lights. Anabel's scene at the end was sweet too. Too bad Ash is so clueless. LOL :D

Overall, 7/10.

King Slazo
24th February 2007, 7:32 PM
Dang! Its already aired? I wanna see this! The Americans get everything! They get all the Pokemon we cant get eg: Mew, Celebi, they get lots of events and a new series while we Welshpeople get nothing!

A UK Pokefan! I'm not alone! (I'm English, but that's irrevlevent)
So, this episode almost tops the other one, but just trips over itself at points. Shame really, as this episode has quality moments, like Ash & co "mindreading", Tauros's return and the battle, which was still brilliant.
Why they changed the Meteor Mash animation, I won't know.
And why must Ash be even STUPIDER than before when it comes to love?

Ashy Boy
25th February 2007, 3:32 PM
The episode was one of the best in the Battle Frontier saga with little or no flaws

Tabris
15th March 2007, 9:03 PM
A blush shows up and then ZOUNDS! Tons of ships.

In an anime where there is little more than blushing every so often (apart from Brock, but he's so fickle, it doesn't matter), it's as good as things get.

The episode made a fan out of me.

It was pretty obvious that she fancied him, there were clues all around the episode.

It was plain as day.

Anyway, it's one of the few episodes of Pokémon I've seen from the BF series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Anabel's crush on Ash was cute, they really got along well. Now I want to see more of Anabel, but I know it won't happen since it's a one shot thing. But still, the episode made me an Anabel fan :)

Oh well, there's always a doujin somewhere.

pokemonlover123
28th October 2007, 4:22 AM
I still can't bileve that Anabel,a Battle Frouter Brain, have a crush on ash

pokemonlover123
28th October 2007, 4:23 AM
I still can't bileve that Anabel,a Battle Frouter Brain, have a crush on ash.

pokemonlover123
28th October 2007, 4:28 AM
NO! It was Zap Cannon!

pokemonlover123
28th October 2007, 4:32 AM
I wish there was an episode that Ash and Anabel would meet each other again!

HoennMaster
28th October 2007, 5:19 AM
I'm glad there is not.

pokemonlover123
1st November 2007, 3:55 AM
Why? You hate Anabel? hmmmmmmmm..............??????????

pokemonlover123
1st November 2007, 4:36 AM
Hello!!!!!Answer me!!!!!

pokemonlover123
1st November 2007, 4:36 AM
Hello!!!!!Answer me!!!!!

pokemonlover123
3rd November 2007, 4:06 AM
It's been a long time that someone put up a poll here1!!!

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 9:58 PM
I'm glad he finally won. I was getting really impatient of waiting for him.

Blue Snover
9th March 2009, 3:22 PM
Good episode, he finally figured out that the only way to beat her was to think like her.

(s.i.e)
9th March 2009, 8:21 PM
it was about time he won from her, and in the end it was so simple, anyway it was a good epidode.

Splitzman
31st March 2009, 3:18 PM
A pretty good battle overall, buf Pikachu winning in the final battle, that was regular, which was alright.

STICKTOPIA
22nd July 2009, 8:05 PM
It's been a long time that someone put up a poll here1!!!
ur an impatient 1.... anyways there's misty, macie, anabel, and angie that have a crush on ash so far. i think ash will see anabel again. ash met brandon again so it's possible he'll see anabel again.

Ash-kid
13th August 2009, 12:28 PM
Great episode, i loved Ash's Taurus, it was so strong! the tie with Metagros was great.

kingkoopa1080
16th August 2009, 8:23 AM
at least tauros tied metagross. Wish it would have just won a match straight up though.

Rainbowdashtheawesome
9th September 2009, 4:49 AM
Good thing Anabel didn't have Entei like she does in Emerald. I have to wonder how Espeon can learn Zap Cannon; if I knew how, I would try to teach it Zap Cannon in all of my games I can. It was interesting how well Ash did compared to his first challenge; in the first try he couldn't even get past Metagross.

STICKTOPIA
16th September 2009, 3:49 AM
at least tauros tied metagross. Wish it would have just won a match straight up though. but how could metagross lose that easily? it only got hit by normal attacks and it has good defense. idk how that's possible.

Lorde
25th January 2010, 9:55 PM
Well it looks like Ash plans on battling Anabel again, without doing any training. It's typical Ash and his rash decisions that always pay off...

Seeing Ash and his Pokemon jogging was good though, I beat it warmed them up and increased their overall speed. Though Pikachu bothering a swarm of Beedrill's ruined everything but ending up providing a cute scene with Ash and Anabel in the pond.

I was surprised that brutes like Metagross and Alakazam were each taken out by weak Pokemon like Corphish. Espeon and Pikachu was more on par though. I was surprised to see Espeon use Zap Cannon though. At least Ash won quickly. 8/10

Brainwashed
25th January 2010, 10:03 PM
Well it looks like Ash plans on battling Anabel again, without doing any training. It's typical Ash and his rash decisions that always pay off...

Seeing Ash and his Pokemon jogging was good though, I beat it warmed them up and increased their overall speed. Though Pikachu bothering a swarm of Beedrill's ruined everything but ending up providing a cute scene with Ash and Anabel in the pond.

I was surprised that brutes like Metagross and Alakazam were each taken out by weak Pokemon like Corphish. Espeon and Pikachu was more on par though. I was surprised to see Espeon use Zap Cannon though. At least Ash won quickly. 8/10

Metagross and Tauros were both taken out at the same time. But the battle between of them was pretty cool. Probably my favorite part the episode.

Rainbowdashtheawesome
1st February 2010, 3:04 AM
Anabel put too much emphasis on Zap Cannon when battling Pikachu. A move with only 50 accuracy should be used much more sparingly than that. It seemed to me like she was getting desperate at that point.

Willow's Tara
29th May 2010, 5:33 AM
Good rematch really. Of course Anabel would have a crush on Ash, that's the second FB to have a crush on one of the group (Lucy being the other). I bet if one of the male Frontier Brains had been the same age as May they would have had them crush on her.

Lance The Champ
20th December 2010, 1:48 PM
Glad that Ash won... and he was totally in sync with Pikachu... Anabel was really good too

Painkiller2001
29th December 2010, 5:22 PM
God, I'm so behind on these reviews! I just watched the first part of the Deoxys special today and I haven't' done "reviews" for the past two episodes yet!

ANYWAY!....

Not a bad rematch battle. This one was a little bit rushed this time around.

A question:
was this the first FB battle Ash has done because he lost the first time? Or was their another one? I forget!

Caseydia
16th January 2011, 3:06 PM
I want to see Anabel again. That would be a cute scene for Ash. I liked all of the BF girls. Better than gymleaders.

G50
26th April 2011, 4:21 PM
This episode was cool. It was cool to see Corphish defeat the very strong Alakazam. It was interesting to see Tauros and Metagross battle each other so hard, that they knocked each other out. It was great to see Pikachu defeat a quick and strong Espeon to finish the battle. It was cool how the lights were knocked out, and the last battle was finished in the dark. Corphish kept going at it with Crabhammer after getting bounced back again and again. I'm glad Ash won his 6th Frontier Symbol.

89/100

Littlemyuu
14th June 2011, 1:51 AM
Anabel her Pokemon's are really cool..like Metagross...just awesome =3

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)
11th April 2012, 2:11 PM
Wow anabell had a crush on ash :D and may didn't seem to like it earlier in the episode :P

Caseydia
12th April 2012, 3:18 AM
Wow anabell had a crush on ash :D and may didn't seem to like it earlier in the episode :P

Yeah I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembered that. That's the only hint people seem forget to mention in with Advanceshipping.

Vernikova
19th September 2012, 8:38 PM
The battle was a disappointment to say the least. Espeon's battle with Pikachu was the worst part of it.

PokemontrainerY
31st August 2013, 8:14 AM
I loved this episode. The moments between Anabel and Ash at beginning were nice, they seemed to get alone very well. It's funny when Ash kept telling Corphish to use harden with his mind, May telling Combusken to use Peck was funny as well.
The battle between Anabel and Ash was cool, It's surprising when Ash's Corphish was able to defeat Anabel's strong Alakazam. Tauros and Metagross's battle was cool too, they both knocked each other out and the battle ended in a draw.
Pikachu and Espeon's battle was awesome as well, I liked how Pikachu used Volt Tackle on Espeon and defeated it. I'm glad Ash finally got his sixth Battle Frontier Symbol.
It was cute when Anabel was blushing and holding her hand after shaking hands with Ash. It's obvious that Anabel (One of the few girls who actually showed interest in Ash! ) has a crush on Ash, but sadly he was too obilvious to understand her feelings.