PDA

View Full Version : Does evidence matter to you?

Roses Ablaze
31st March 2006, 10:09 AM
For me, not really. I mean, in order for me to enjoy a ship there needs to be something between the two characters even if it's strictly platonic in canon, but whether or not it actually becomes canon (or the likelihood of it becoming canon) is irrelevant as far as whether I like it or not.

Akerin
31st March 2006, 12:36 PM
I like evidence, but the ships don't necessarily have to be canon. :3 *pushes Lucario and Aaron together* ...But for those 'ships that have no evidence backing them up, I just can't see how it works, personally.

Not that I have anything against people who support/obsess over 'ships with no evidence, of course. Like whatever you want, Shippers. I'm not actually against anything. XD

Hakajin
31st March 2006, 1:39 PM
Well, I don't conciously choose canon ships, but I usually need to see interaction between the characters for me to get emotionally involved. I do, however, read a lot of manga and stuff where the girl chooses the "wrong" guy in a love triangle, and I can get pretty upset over that. It's a little different though, because they always show interaction between the girl and both guys.

D-Man
31st March 2006, 1:43 PM
Desn't matter at all

Yggdrasill-sama
31st March 2006, 2:35 PM
Evidence doesn't matter to me. As long as I find a ship interesting (whether it be canon or non-canon), I'll support it.

Shadowcat
31st March 2006, 3:02 PM
It doesn't matter to me. If I like the ship, I'll support it. There are supporters of non-canon ships, y'know. *winks*

Mamoru
31st March 2006, 3:15 PM
If I like a ship, I'll support it, but how I support it depends on if it has evidence or not. Obviously, I'm a lot more active in public for those ships I do think will happen, or have a chance of happening, while ships I simply like I'm a lot less vocal about.

taitofan
31st March 2006, 5:36 PM
If I like a couple, I like it regardless of anything. I don't even care if they've talked/met/whatever. Heck, I'll make my own evidence if I feel the desire to have some. Here's an example:

Me playing FFVII: Wow, Vincent and Cait are the best... They'd be hot together. Hmm, but why? ...Well, they're in my team, so that's good enough.

See? I'm totally random most of the time. And I'm usually the most vocal for the crack induced ships I like, since someone should be giving them love, and I'm just crazy enough to do it. <3

MondoTR
31st March 2006, 7:16 PM
Not too much. After all, there are many nevermet ships I like. However if the characters do interact I don't mind if they have hints. As long as they're actual hints and not all that crap people classify as shipping hints when they're just friendship things that the character does to all their friends or whatever.

Angeling
31st March 2006, 8:53 PM
Though I may not be a shipper person, I don't think it should necessarily be the base of all shippings. Evidence should be significant when you want to prove that a shipping is canon, and it must be supported OFFICIALLY in the anime sans any subtleness. That's the meaning behind the word canon, no?

But evidence should not be so significant in any shippings because people can support whatever they want. Their reasons vary from person to person, and it can be one silly thing as the two people being adorable to them just having some sort of chemistry.

So, no, evidence shouldn't have such a huge impact on shippings in general.

Minami Itsuki
31st March 2006, 8:55 PM
Not that much. ^^;

I admit, I enjoy several ships regardless of whether it is canon or whether they are possible.

Sometimes I just enjoy the ships because I like the two characters involved...regardless whether they know if each other exists. O__O;

Torchic23
31st March 2006, 9:07 PM
Evidence of course. I don't support any ships without evidence of some sort ^^

STJ
1st April 2006, 12:13 AM
Depends what you mean by 'evidence'

For me personally, I like a particular ship because,to me, it makes sense, and that usually involves 'evidence' of them actually getting along and having a great relationship which can lead to something more.. so perhaps my answer is yes, in a manner of speaking....Verily, I find 'evidence' to be a very subjective thing, which is why I don't finf it surprising when people has very different opinions on the same thing...

Another reason is basically due to sympathy.... when the writers make it VERY clear (such as Brock, Sanji, or Miroku) that the person actually wants a romantic relationship....There are several cases where they show characters who have absolutelty NO interest in romance whatsoever, and I tend not to ship said characters

Sure, alot of ships I like have characters (or at least one of them) having feelings for each other.. but this evidence I consider very blatant, and what I consider blatant evidence is usually along the lines of one character at least trying to confess their feelings, actually confessing their feelings, and trying to establish a romantic relationship (such as asking the person out) that sort of thing....

But I find it perfectly understandable when people like any sort of positive interaction between the characters, cause I do that myself, not that I neccessarily consider that 'evidence' of the chracters having feelings for each other of course.

Having said that, there are also plenty of ships with 'evidence' and are canon that I dislike with a passion for various reasons, whether it be due to the fact that I just dislike the thought of the characters in a relationship, how their relationship is brought about, the relationship is shoved in my face ad nauseum, or sometimes just out of pure spite of the fanbase, whom I feel that reality should give a big slap in the face to make them STFU.

I think a big problem with myself personally is that I can really only tolerate romance when it's funy, and in many shows that I've seen, when a ship actually becomes 'canon' the ship changes from being funny to being sappy, and that usually puts me off for some reason. It's hard for me to explain, I suppose

Of course, there a ships which I thought had evidence, or at least potential, I guess, which eventually didn't go anywhere, so 'hints' many not influence the end result, which is probably why I don't debate 'evidence' among other things.

Eris
1st April 2006, 12:15 AM
On a level, yes. It does, usually. But I admit that there are fanon ships I like, only because I see the basic elements of a beloved romantic plot that I've been seeing from canon pairings, only, the writers didn't choose to build it.

What does it matter? If you like a pairing, having evidence is not worth it. Go crazy.

intergalactic platypus
1st April 2006, 12:23 AM
STJ, its rather obvious your adressing pokeshippers. On the topic, most of the ships I like lack evidence. The only one I do like that has canon potential is actually contestshipping. The only time canon effects me is when I get very frustrated with all the worlds stupid people who claim their blatantly fanon ships to be canon

Kojho
1st April 2006, 12:44 AM
Well, it used to, but now you can see by just my ship choices that it is no longer true. I love Pokeshipping, but on the otherhand, I am a rabid Hoennshipper. I love franticshipping, but also like the pairing of BluexSilver

cold_katanagirl
1st April 2006, 12:48 AM
I like canon pairings, fanon pairings, and ones that are in the middle. However...

Too much evidence may make me vomit. Depends on how it's carried out. Ships with too little evidence may drive me insane with boredom.

I guess you could say evidence affects how I support a ship. But if I really like the pairing, evidence won't really matter.

I tend to get into ships before I get involved with the fanbase... But there is an exception or two. Then again, I wasn't all that fond of them to begin with.

Sakura-chan
1st April 2006, 2:18 AM
Sometimes it does. As long as I really like the couple, evidence isn't a necessity. But it would be nice if the couples I support have anything from subtle to obvious hints. That would just make it all the more sweeter. :3 But if I truly like a couple who I think looks really kawaii, and I have, well...a slight obsession (XD) over it, then I wouldn't care if there aren't enough hints.

Fangirl
1st April 2006, 3:58 AM
It depends on if the evidence in is my favor. X3 No, I'm kidding.

I'll pair anything if I like it, with or without supporting evidence. Even if that means going against 'official' couples. (-.- Let's not get me started on rabid YYH fans and their Mukuro/Hiei shippings.) Though most of my pairings ARE supported by at least a few hints, I'm not above shipping the impossible...or politically incorrect. (Liza x Tate. Yum. <3) It all comes down to whether or not I like the couple for the characters involved as to whether or not I can support it. That, and incest is always good. >>;

Evidence helps, but NEVER required. <3
(Neither is the moral approval of society. XP)

haruka~
1st April 2006, 4:12 AM
Evidence doesn't matter to me. I'll pair anyone together as long as I think they look cute together. ^^ I know it's a stupid reason.

Sika
1st April 2006, 4:21 AM
I like ships that, disregarding the fact of being canon or not, have a great interaction between the couple.

Plus, if the ship were going to be canon, it would make sense, and if not, you would be left with great fic ideas.

I don't like ships with evidence showed down in our throats. That's why I dislike a lot of shippings in shoujo animé.

I usually don't support never met shippings, because I don't have an idea of how could the couple get along.

Tenten
1st April 2006, 4:56 AM
Sometimes the evidence matters to me, just so as to prove to those in disbelief wrong. Most of the time I like shippings that occur naturally, as in they take time to develop. However, I also like shippings that don't seem to be possible because the hints just aren't out there, but the shipping can be possible if you do careful analysis of the current situation between the two people.

I actually support canon, fanon, and nevermet shippings, as long as I like the two characters and their personalities that are in that shipping. The shipping sort of has to balance out and make sense, especially the nevermet shippings. Evidence is not exactly needed. If you truly support a ship, you would stick to that shipping---canon or fanon or disproven---and not care at all.

A shipping still lives as long as its being supported: supported by a huge fanbase, or even by just one person.

Hakajin
1st April 2006, 5:19 AM
I think people make this too much a question of logic and opinion. I don't support ships just because I think two people might be cute together. I just don't care that much. I need emotional involvement, and I only get that from seeing the characters care about one another. I guess I sometimes think a couple of characters would look cute together, but I really don't consider that shipping because it's not important enough to me.

Orion-Sama
1st April 2006, 5:22 AM
I don't care about evidence. Or Canon for that matter, with a few select exceptions...

The only thing that matters to me is that it's Yuri and that the girls involved actually click. Whether they actually meet or not.

Fanom is good. :)

ShadowCloud62
1st April 2006, 8:47 PM
Well, I don't really care about evidence, especially in canon shippings, but if I see evidence, I will be even more happy.
Prime example is the prime couple I support, which is Ed/Winry from FMA.