PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Faith's Fetters

klducks
1st April 2006, 3:07 AM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ravnica/faiths_fetters.jpg
Faith's Fetters - Ravnica: City of Guilds. Common
3W: Enchantment - Aura
Enchant permanent
When Faith's Fetters comes into play, you gain 4 life.
Enchanted permanent's activated abilities can't be played unless theyre mana abilities. If enchanted permanent is a creature, it can't attack or block.

Wow, just wow. 4 for a card that's an Enchanting Pithing Needle. Add in a Pacifism if it's a creature. Add in the life gain... It's a 3 in 1. You have so many options with this card. Yet, 4 mana is still a lot. Hopefully this high cost won't effect you that much...

The Duck's Rating: 3.5/5

Shadow Trainer
1st April 2006, 3:18 AM
One of my favorite cards from Ravnica. This card is just great, it stops creatures and stops they're activated abilities, prevents your oppponent from using his Jitte or other troublesome activated ability card and gains you four life when it comes into play. 4/5

~RaikouRider243~
1st April 2006, 4:35 PM
Most people I know play Arrest over this because they don't like to pay 4 mana. I'll gladly pay 4 mana to shut off a permanent, thank you. Life gain on top of that? This card is just broken. I like putting things in circles. Too bad this common seems as difficult to get ahold of as Llanowar Elves.

4.5/5

Sika
2nd April 2006, 8:59 AM
I'm impressed by this card abilities, but most times it's better to have small cards with small benefits, than big cards with great benefits.

3/5

Broodstar
2nd April 2006, 10:23 PM
Hits permenents =great. Gain 4 life-good. Really cheap to buy-great. Good*3=4/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
3rd April 2006, 8:02 AM
This hits just aabout anything on the field and disables it. Including lands and artifacts. It's also an uber-Pacifism that a monster from doing anything except tapping itself for other abilities (Convoke, anyone?), and of course stops any Equipment or artifact in its tracks. That's pretty worthe the 4 mana already, with all the versatility. Throw in life gain, and you have a real good card. I pack 2 of them myself, and they still own. This card can be put in just about any white deck, so no worries. Now screw those equipment.

4.99/5

~RaikouRider243~
3rd April 2006, 8:45 AM
This hits just aabout anything on the field and disables it. Including lands and artifacts. It's also an uber-Pacifism that a monster from doing anything except tapping itself for other abilities (Convoke, anyone?), and of course stops any Equipment or artifact in its tracks. That's pretty worthe the 4 mana already, with all the versatility. Throw in life gain, and you have a real good card. I pack 2 of them myself, and they still own. This card can be put in just about any white deck, so no worries. Now screw those equipment.

4.99/5

Actually if you read the card, it can't turn off a land's mana abilities, and it can only shut off activated abilities. It will not shut off a triggered ability, such as that of Concerted Effort or Wurm's Tooth. So, sorry, you can't use this to jack with your opponent's lands.

klducks
3rd April 2006, 11:57 PM
Actually if you read the card, it can't turn off a land's mana abilities, and it can only shut off activated abilities. It will not shut off a triggered ability, such as that of Concerted Effort or Wurm's Tooth. So, sorry, you can't use this to jack with your opponent's lands.
I really wish they'd put in what "activated abilities" mean in the core sets since ever since Pithing Needle, Burning Tree Shaman and now Faith's Fetters have seen play, it's annoying to explain to everyone what an activated ability is and what it is not.

Sika
4th April 2006, 12:06 AM
Don't forget Stifle, Squelch, Bind. Well, there's a lot of cards that need the distintion between Activated Ability and Mana-Abilities (which are activated).

Abeyance, Brown Ouphe, Supression Fields, etcetera. Yep, Gatherer rocks.

Kaizer
4th April 2006, 2:10 AM
This is a great card, putting it simply.

But for the sake of easiness, this is the best way to describe an activated ability: :
In other words, it has a colon. Triggered can be a bit different, but it will generally include the word whenever or when- something like that. So that covers comes-into-play and leaves-play abilities.

And of course the third one- mana abilities. Well, if it can tap for a mana, that's a mana ability.

Anyways, fetters rocks and was quite a surprise to see some high-level play with it costing four mana and all, but it's definitely worth it.

Felix Feral Fezirix
4th April 2006, 4:23 PM
Um...certain lands do have special abilites that are pretty annoying enough for you to want to shut it down. You want two of them? There's Sunhome, Fortress of the Legions and Vitu-Ghazi, the City Tree.

Oh, and I do know what an activated ability is. If I didn't, a certain Ski would take a plate and smash it over my head till it breaks. Graagh. And ask Ski if I EVER waste any of my two Fetters when playing against him.

Frankly speaking, Faith's Fetters is too useful to be common. Uncommon, .....okay...... Rare, balanced. But common? That's.....just......wrong. But I still like it. ^_^

klducks
5th April 2006, 12:33 AM
Um...certain lands do have special abilites that are pretty annoying enough for you to want to shut it down. You want two of them? There's Sunhome, Fortress of the Legions and Vitu-Ghazi, the City Tree.
This statement clearly makes Fetter's more useful. Especially vs. those old school casual with lands that have no mana abilities and instead have diverse activated abilities.

Felix Feral Fezirix
5th April 2006, 7:27 AM
Which is PRECISELY why I brought up the idea of stuffing it on lands because there are lands that are just screaming to be shut down before they help turn you into chow.

Faith's Fetters basically eliminates one threat that can kill you until it's removed. And gives you a sweet 4 life gain. For the thousandth time, I emphasize it is something you should highly consider stashing anywhere in the deck or sideboard. Pwnt.