PDA

View Full Version : Now that I can no longer save...

booger_face
1st April 2006, 6:33 PM
As you may have seen from the title, my copy of Pokemon Silver has succumbed to the ravages of time. Time no longer passes, and well, it no longer saves, as well. My question is this: is there any way I can fix this? Do I blow in the cartridge? Can I ship it off to Nintendo so they can fix it? Your help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

pugman3000
1st April 2006, 7:27 PM
The only advice I can think of is trade your most valued pokemon onto another game and start a new file. I don't think there is anything Nintendo can do about your problem, but I could be wrong.

-Totodile-
1st April 2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah, but that wouldn't work because to trade, you hafta be able to save.

Serebii93
1st April 2006, 11:40 PM
I think your game is screwed. I don't think you can ever get it back. Sorry.

pugman3000
2nd April 2006, 12:04 AM
Yeah, but that wouldn't work because to trade, you hafta be able to save.

That's absolutely true. I feel slightly stupid now, but only slightly. So now that I think about it, I have no idea what you can do.

Mega Trickster
2nd April 2006, 12:34 AM
Your game's internal battery has died and can no longer tell time so also cannot hold the save file. You should call Nintendo and ask them where you can get it replaced and for how much or try to do it yourself.

This is absolutely 100% true.

Tiffany
2nd April 2006, 6:00 AM
Meep, sorry to hear about your Silver. I dread the day when the internal battery dies in mine ;_;
I heard you can replace the internal battery.. but I have no idea what the internal battery size is. Maybe its just like a standard watch battery, who knows. Or the other option is to buy a new one or used one (who knows how much longer the used one will last though). I'd go with Mega Trickster's advice and call Nintendo and see what you can do about it, if they'll send you a new battery or replace it for you.

T BLAZE
2nd April 2006, 6:41 AM
As you may have seen from the title, my copy of Pokemon Silver has succumbed to the ravages of time. Time no longer passes, and well, it no longer saves, as well. My question is this: is there any way I can fix this? Do I blow in the cartridge? Can I ship it off to Nintendo so they can fix it? Your help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

MY POKEMON GOLD DID THAT 3 OR 4 YEARS AGO I NEVER TRY TO GET IT FIX

Luxuria
2nd April 2006, 2:54 PM
Stupid question but can you fix the internal battery? If you can, you might have a chance of your game...surviving? ._.;?

Mega Trickster
2nd April 2006, 8:55 PM
Stupid question but can you fix the internal battery? If you can, you might have a chance of your game...surviving? ._.;?

This is why you CALL to have it fixed -_-

They are like licensed to do it so I'd say chances are like 99%

Tiffany
5th April 2006, 3:56 AM
I checked on the Nintendo site, and they most likely can fix the problem. They were talking about R/S/E (the internal battery) and they said to send it in and they'll send you a new one or something like that, though but I'd imagine they can do the same thing because they said something about fixing the nonsaving problem in R/B/Y. So there is a good chance your game can be saved if you are willing to send it to Nintendo (I'd call them first to make sure).

[Kingdra]
5th April 2006, 4:31 AM
My game is messed up i'll save and then it won't remember

blaze boy
5th April 2006, 10:15 AM
why not just buy another one wouldn't that be better?

Xtra
5th April 2006, 2:43 PM
But since it's an older game, they may not. I mean, they would much rather have you buy their GBA versions then fix a GSC game.

Clockworkz
5th April 2006, 11:04 PM
Get a a copy of Stadium 2 and stick all your Pokemon on the N64 Box, and get a new game.

Dunsparce
7th April 2006, 1:04 AM
Your saved data NO LONGER EXISTS. All of your hard work is no more. You can replace the battery, but you will have to start a new file.

indigestible_wad
10th April 2006, 3:28 AM
MY POKEMON GOLD DID THAT 3 OR 4 YEARS AGO I NEVER TRY TO GET IT FIX
THen what the hell are you replying for? If you have nothing to give, don't say anything at all.

Personally I think that, if you still have your previous save file, even if you can't save it anymore, you can still trade things off. As long as the game thinks you have saved you can go into the trade room and get them off your cartridge. Of course this would only work if your cartridge thinks that it does save. When ever you try to save, does it confirm that you have saved or does it just tell you that it can't save and something messed up somehow?

It also doesn't matter how old anything is, if you send it in to nintendo, they will fix it regardless.

Mega Trickster
10th April 2006, 3:45 AM
It thinks it's saving but it's really not. I just checked 2 minutes ago on my poor old and abused (GS, dont shoot plz) Gold.

indigestible_wad
11th April 2006, 1:28 AM
Then theoretically you can trade things over.

balladofwindfishes
11th April 2006, 1:48 AM
yes, but not get anything... wait.... YOU CAN CLONE I imagine, since it cant save any longer, your pokemon wills till be there next time you play, even if you traded it 0_o

booger_face
11th April 2006, 2:06 AM
"Hi there,

Thanks for your e-mail. We are sorry to hear of the problems you are having with your Pokemon Silver game. Due to the age of this particular game, we are no longer able to offer repairs. The best thing to do at this point is to replace the game with another copy, or perhaps look around at some of the more recent versions of Pokemon. Check out the Game List at our website to find out what we currently offer.

Keep checking our website at www.nintendo.com for the latest on Nintendo games, systems, and promotions. And, while on our site, also check out the My Nintendo program. With this program, not only can you check on the status of a subscription, part order or repair order, but you can also register your games and systems, and participate in the Nintendo Forums.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Lauren Taylor

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/"

This is the reply I received when I contacted Nintendo. Looks like I have to find a new one.

Psychic
12th April 2006, 12:40 AM
*shrugs* Something similar happened to my Gold Version.

I stuck it in the Transfer Pack for Pokemon Stadium 2 on the N64 and it said I needed to set the time, which totally freaked me out because I thought my game was probably corrupted. So I played the Gold, and when it asked me to set the time, I set it to a few minutes to midnight and played for about half an hour. Then I saved (at a Pokemon Center) and quit.
And now, for some reason, time doesn't change by itself. So if it was 12:30 when I stopped playing, it would continue to be 12:30 of the same day unless I played it again!

So, my case is similar, but I can still save, and time will pass that way.

My only advise to you is to try and save at a Pokemon Center, go onto Stadium 2 and upload/trade all your valueble Pokémon onto another game. Maybe you can try and restart the game, or start a new one and put all your good Pokémon onto it. *shrugs*

~Psychic

booger_face
12th April 2006, 2:08 AM
*shrugs* Something similar happened to my Gold Version.

I stuck it in the Transfer Pack for Pokemon Stadium 2 on the N64 and it said I needed to set the time, which totally freaked me out because I thought my game was probably corrupted. So I played the Gold, and when it asked me to set the time, I set it to a few minutes to midnight and played for about half an hour. Then I saved (at a Pokemon Center) and quit.
And now, for some reason, time doesn't change by itself. So if it was 12:30 when I stopped playing, it would continue to be 12:30 of the same day unless I played it again!

So, my case is similar, but I can still save, and time will pass that way.

Not to scare you, or any such thing, but that's what my copy of Silver started doing before its save battery gave up on me. I'd part ways with your copy of Gold soon.

Shiny Heracross
12th April 2006, 2:52 AM
Not to scare you, or any such thing, but that's what my copy of Silver started doing before its save battery gave up on me. I'd part ways with your copy of Gold soon.
How long did it take before it stopped saving? (After the time stopped.) Because my clock has stopped running for a few months now, but I can still save. Hmm, I better get to work fast on saving all my goods!

Shiney_Hunter_Tauros_Rule
12th April 2006, 8:44 AM
Im terrified of this happening to my crystal game as I need about 10 pokemon to fill the pokedex (Celebi (groan) Dragonite,Tyranitar,Bellossom,Sunflora(unlucky in BCC) Articuno,Omanyte,Omastar,Crobat(groan))

I also had a internal battery dead in Emerald but it hasnt stopped saving yet.

Shiny Heracross
12th April 2006, 1:07 PM
Oh, and I have another question. Will the internal clock and save battery be dead forever, or will they be fixed if I started a new game?

Psychic
13th April 2006, 6:26 PM
Wow, you're right. I just tried playing yesterday- no save file was found. *sweatdrops*

Well, I'm not really devastated. It was actually my sister's Gold version which she let me have cause she was bored of it. And I have another copy of Gold version (and another copy of Silver) my cousin gave me, so it isn't a huge loss or anything. I'm just surprised, because nobody played that Gold version much. *shrugs*

~Psychic

Tiffany
13th April 2006, 10:38 PM
Oh, and I have another question. Will the internal clock and save battery be dead forever, or will they be fixed if I started a new game?

I'd think that it would keep on doing the same thing (don't know if I'm right though.. this is what I think would happen). If you started a new game, probably that wouldn't save either. I think the game would only work again (saving wise) if you replaced the battery, got a new game, or got a used one (the bad thing with buying used ones is you don't know how long until that one dies on you).

SuperShadow
14th April 2006, 8:03 PM
Sorry if this is off topic but how long does a internal battery last and is that why my blue version stopped saving, and not the missingno? On Topic: I am very sorry for you.

emeraldellie
14th April 2006, 8:17 PM
I don't know how long they're supposed to last, but that's most likely the reason why your Blue died. After hearing of so many people losing their games, now I'm afraid to play any of my older games. Stupid Nintendo should offer replacing the battery for money, because they'd make a lot of money and people would have their games back.

Meganium Ex
14th April 2006, 9:18 PM
To give a little informtion here - Your iternal battery dies if you stop playing your game for a very long time or if you play your game a little bit too much. This wasn't known yet until Ruby and Sapphire came out, because they were the first games to actually tell your iternal battery ran out or not. Second of all, I'm not sure if your iternal battery will be restored if you start a new game, so I will have to expirement it. And about the save thing, it may just be your iternal battery, but I think that dosen't have anything to do with your save problem at all. Since G/S/C is still a world of glitches, it just might be an old, finally-repaired glitch

And about your Silver, I'm very sorry about that. Maybe, like some other people said, you should try to trade all your valuable Pokémon and items to another G/S/C Game, and see if it will work. Judging by your problem, your able-to-save-game should recive the new Pokémon, since it will save, but your Silver that can't save will still have the Pokémon aswell. In other words - you'll have 2 of the same Pokémon - one in each Game Pak!

That's my best guess...Hope it works!

The Organizer
15th April 2006, 10:19 PM
Go get a new one, its only like 10 bucks

The Power of Pika
16th April 2006, 8:09 AM
Okay I'll give an explanation about internal batteries since some people are not 100% sure on it.

In the older games (Gameboy Colour and before) all used an internal battery to save. The only game that didn't use an internal battery was from what I remember Harvest moon which used a type of ram to save.
These internal batteries have an adverage life span of 5 to 7 years with some that may last shorter and others that may last longer. When the internal battery dies the save dissappears. This has already been happening to old SNES games for a while and people have found ways to replace the battery.
So probably eventually stuff will go up about replacing Gameboy cartridge batteries. I suggest check with the company first but if they won't do anything about it then maybe you could probably risk opening it and see what sort of battery it is to replace. A few people on Gamefaqs have already replaced batteries in Gameboy games but they are rarely on those forums so it's never a quick answer when asking.=(

Im terrified of this happening to my crystal game as I need about 10 pokemon to fill the pokedex (Celebi (groan) Dragonite,Tyranitar,Bellossom,Sunflora(unlucky in BCC) Articuno,Omanyte,Omastar,Crobat(groan))

I also had a internal battery dead in Emerald but it hasnt stopped saving yet.

The newer versions Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald's internal battery does not control saves. It only controls the clock.
Most GBA cartridges use a type of flash save to save the game instead of a battery save. There were only a few made that used battery saves. Ruby and Sapphire were stated on Nintendo's site that the battery does not control save so that is why your Emerald version save is still there despite the battery being dead Shiney_Hunter_Tauros_Rule.

Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire

"Internal battery has run dry" error message

This occurs when there is a problem with the internal battery of the Pokémon game pak that regulates the clock feature of the game. For the most part, other than a few minor events, this will not affect game play, nor will there be any loss of saved data. The save info is preserved in the game's memory chip, not the battery. To repair the issue, the game must be replaced, which will result in a loss of all of save data. If you are still concerned about this issue, and are interested in replacing the game, please call our Consumer Service Department at 1-800-255-3700.
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/gameboy/trouble_specificgame.jsp

Also another thing that I like to state is that Pokemon Leaf Green and Fire Red do not have a battery inside also prooving that the advance games to not rely on the battery to save.

Hopefully this clears a bit of confusion up.

VoLTeR
16th April 2006, 11:20 AM
Meh. My Crystal's benn like this since i got it.
It's really tempermental.
Sometimes it manages to save, sometimes nothing happens and it saves blankness.

If it saves blankness over my file Ii have to start again.
Even if I start again it still doesn't work.
The clock's busted, it moves backwards.(Freaky)
Furthest I ever managed to get was as far as beating Falkner.

Aptenodytes
17th April 2006, 5:04 PM
Just be glad it's not a more recent game like Emerald or something. Gameboy color games can be sold for like $10 these day. It also shouldn't really be hard to find one, especially at a flea market :D.

Blasultra
18th April 2006, 6:42 PM
It sounds apocalyptic :P This 5/7 year limit regarding the lifespan of the battery really means that even if you leave the copy in the box without even inserting it in the gameboy there is no way to stop the battery from dying?

That also means that none of the first and second generation games will be able to save in about 10 years, right?

Bah...

Black Marauder
18th April 2006, 7:53 PM
I dunno, I suggest you get a new gamepak if you oh-so like G/S/C.