PDA

View Full Version : Easier way to win Bug Catching Contest

Shiney_Hunter_Tauros_Rule
3rd April 2006, 4:45 PM
Is there an easier way to win the Bug Catching Contest?

I need two sun stones for Gloom and Sunkern but I can never win

AJ Flibble
3rd April 2006, 5:37 PM
Try cathcing a level 14 Scyther or Pinsir. Scyther's better as it gives more points, but both are hard to catch and are useful. But it must be level 14.

Dragon_Reborn
3rd April 2006, 7:22 PM
Catching a Scyther or a Pinser is the best way of winning the bug contest.It takes awhile to encounter one though.

Serebii93
3rd April 2006, 7:42 PM
I won the bug catching contest two days ago. My Pokemon?
Level: 14
Pokemon: Scyther

Blue_Poliwhirl24
3rd April 2006, 7:57 PM
I thought the points was higher then that in these games ?? or am I wrong..Don't play that much any more O_O''

Serebii93
3rd April 2006, 8:08 PM
I thought the points was higher then that in these games ?? or am I wrong..Don't play that much any more O_O''
You made no sence. Please explain what you mean...then I can answer your question.

pugman3000
3rd April 2006, 8:15 PM
There is no "easy" way to win. All I can tell you to do is pray you find a Scyther or Pinsir.

Serebii93
3rd April 2006, 8:44 PM
There is no "easy" way to win. All I can tell you to do is pray you find a Scyther or Pinsir.
Quite true, indeed. The best way to find a Pinsir or Scyther, is to play the Bug Contest at night and look in the tall grass. It works every time for me.

Shiney_Hunter_Tauros_Rule
3rd April 2006, 8:48 PM
I hope this works
Bellosom and Sunflora are some of the few pokemon I need to complete it (along with Arcticuno(getting in Blue w/MasterBall) Omanyte/Omastar(Getting in Blue) Dragonite and Tyranitar (nearly there) and I think thats it except Celebi)

Serebii93
3rd April 2006, 10:02 PM
I hope this works
Bellosom and Sunflora are some of the few pokemon I need to complete it (along with Arcticuno(getting in Blue w/MasterBall) Omanyte/Omastar(Getting in Blue) Dragonite and Tyranitar (nearly there) and I think thats it except Celebi)
What's that got to do with this thread?

Shiny Heracross
3rd April 2006, 11:52 PM
Scythers actually pretty sucky. I once got third place when I caught one hat was level 15, and I've never seen one win before. Try catching a Pinsir or Butterfree. They always get 1st place even if you don't win. But it's hard because sometimes a Pinsir wins, and sometimes Butterfree. It depends on what your opponents catch.

Serebii93
4th April 2006, 12:01 AM
Scythers actually pretty sucky. I once got third place when I caught one hat was level 15, and I've never seen one win before. Try catching a Pinsir or Butterfree. They always get 1st place even if you don't win. But it's hard because sometimes a Pinsir wins, and sometimes Butterfree. It depends on what your opponents catch.
Well, everything depends on the rarity, colors, and 'Health'.
I caught my lv. 14 Scyther and she had 48 points for health. By the way, health is NOT HP. And remember, I won two nights ago with her.

pharaohguy530
4th April 2006, 12:46 AM
Is there an easier way to win the Bug Catching Contest?

I need two sun stones for Gloom and Sunkern but I can never win
There is no easier way, sadly. Its all based on luck and your "art of capture (of all pokemon)" *sings 2ba master song*. Hope for a Pinsir, Butterfree, Scyther. Make sure they are high leveled too.....And have a pokemon in the 10-20 lv. You never know....

TheTurquoiseTauros!
4th April 2006, 12:50 AM
iv won with a weedle on lv 5 like a dozen times! it all depends on luck.

Slim
4th April 2006, 6:15 AM
Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, this is the Bug-Catching formula:

a 4 bit number is based off of the IVs, the other numbers are off current stats.

bit 0 = 1 if Speed IV is odd. (ie +1)
bit 1 = 1 if Special IV is odd. (ie +2)
bit 2 = 1 if Attack IV is odd. (ie +4)
bit 3 = 1 if Defense IV is odd. (ie +8)

Use this number in this formula. Other numbers use the actual stats, not the IVs

Score = (Total HP * 4) + Atk + Def + Speed + SpAtk + SpDef + above number + int(Current HP/8) + 1

So, the reason Pinsir and Scyther typically do well is because they will generally have better stats than others you can find. Remaining HP affects it just a little bit. But a lot of it is up to chance. Just keep doing the contest enough, and you will win eventually.