PDA

View Full Version : Overrated Shipping Moments

Revolutionary Destiny
7th April 2006, 10:58 PM
Were there any moments in any show, movie, book, etc., where certain shippers thought that they were in heaven but when you watched/read the exact same thing, you wondered "Those shippers were having an orgasm over that little thing?!"

For me, it would be the Inuyasha/Kagome kiss in the second movie. When the shippers were talking about it, I thought that it was a full, mouth-to-mouth, a couple seconds long, kiss. But then I watched it and it was mostly Inuyasha's teeth to Kagome's mouth most of the time -_-;

And in my opinion, the Grand Festival/Contestshipping moments were sort of overrated. From hearing about it, I thought that it was a Contestshipping-a-palooza saga. However, it just turned out to be a few moments here and there throughout the 3 episodes.

Cloud Strife
7th April 2006, 11:00 PM
Orange (sp) shippers and the Final Misty special on Hojo.

Dark Butterfly
8th April 2006, 1:20 AM
For me, it would be the Inuyasha/Kagome kiss in the second movie. When the shippers were talking about it, I thought that it was a full, mouth-to-mouth, a couple seconds long, kiss. But then I watched it and it was mostly Inuyasha's teeth to Kagome's mouth most of the time -_-;

I agree with you 100%! the Inu/Kag shippers are like "OMFG OMFGZ INUYASHA AN KAGS KISSED!!!!!!1111!! OMG THEY R SOOO MENT 2 BE DAT KISS WAS SOOOOO PERFECT LIKE DEM INU/KAGOME 4 EVERZ!!!!!111!!" meanwhile the movies are just fillers and fan service for the annoying Inu/Kag shippers meanwhile in the anime and manga its just Inuyasha & Kikyou that kiss and Kagome runs away in a jealous rage. and then the Inu/Kag shippers (that are Kikyou Haters) go around yelling that "KIKEO IS A STOOPID ***** DIIIEEE CLAY POT I HATE YOU!!!!!! SHE R A ***** 4 KISSIN HIM FIRST THAT ****!!!11!!"

*sigh* but this is why i prefer the non canon parings:)

and no offence but some Poke shippers can be a wee bit over the top too ;/

intergalactic platypus
8th April 2006, 2:28 AM
The comforting scene in Date Expectations. From the way cybercubed preaches about it you would think Ash and May had just been involved in a passionate makeout scene and confessed their undying love to each other. Really, it was just a moment where Ash displayed a bit of compassion and maturity so his friend would stop crying. In fact, thats how most advanceshipping scenes are made out to be regardless of how innocent they can be. To pick on a ship other then advanceshipping for once, pokeshippers and rocketshippers both value physical contact far more then they should. Holding each other out of fear or grabbing onto the other person sometimes doesn't mean your passionately in love

cold_katanagirl
8th April 2006, 2:40 AM
I have to say Ginny appearing at King's Cross and wanting to see Harry.

There may be something I'm missing, but I see alot of people saying it's an extremely huge hint. What's the deal here?

CyberCubed
8th April 2006, 3:19 AM
ANYTHING Handymanshipping related. Tracey and Daisy share a couple of scenes together in a single episode, and all of a sudden the Pokeshippers jump on this bandwagon because it conflicts with Orangeshipping.

I have never seen such an obvious safe circle in my entire life. It's amazing to see people even declaring this ship canon, despite the fact that Tracey and Daisy share nothing more than a few lines of friendly dialouge.

intergalactic platypus
8th April 2006, 3:25 AM
Agreed cyber. The worst of this is when they say Tracey fixing Daisy's plumbing or whatever (God that sounded sketchy) is a huge shipping hint. Its called Tracey being nice. Hes a nice, sweet character

Fangirl
8th April 2006, 5:35 AM
God knows I could name a thousand if I tried but one in particular really stands out in my mind.
As a slightly...obsessive?...Hiei x Kurama fan, I could hardly hold my lunch during the episode 'Love and War' of Yu Yu Hakusho.

While I'll admit it was a rare sign of compassion from Hiei to free Mukuro from her shackles, and while the final scene where he falls against her was quite...shippish, the level that some of my friends and such took it was just sickening. It wouldn't be so bad if they were purely canon shippers but these were the same people who had, weeks before, been musing happily over Hiei x Kurama with me. It annoyed me to no end that after an entire SERIES of hints, even during the Three Kings/Makai Tournaments sagas when Mukuro showed her ugly mug, people can ditch several seasons worth of a ship for something that was thrust abruptly upon us with no history, no relationship building, NOTHING. It was like a bad fanfic writer was hired to finish out the series. I spent a good four hours at one point trying to explain to a friend that at least Kurama had HISTORY--for the most part all I recieved as an argument in return was, 'But you saw that episode!'.

I could have been supportive of Mukuro x Hiei. Hell it was possible. Kurama did, after all renounce Youko, and all that ties him to the Makai. He took himself out of the picture. But after the wailing I've heard I've been turned off of that pairing forever, if only to be spiteful.

Sometimes the series isn't your best reference, kids. D:

Hakajin
8th April 2006, 5:45 AM

Lol, you noticed that too? I love Inu/Kag, but I really wasn't all that impressed with the kiss. I much preferred the first movie where Kagome reaches Inu-Yasha even though she's in her own world.

For Pokeshipping, I guess I'd have to say "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak". Ash blushes at Misty when he sees her in her yukata, and lots of people say that's their favorite hint. Well, no offense to them, but I don't think it means much at all. I mean, sure, he thinks she's cute, but that doesn't mean that he's in love with her. I liked that hint, but I didn't place too much value on it.

Oh, and with Orangeshippers, the thing about Misty not talking to Ash much during those three episodes a while back. I think that they just didn't need her in that episode and so left her out. Characters don't grow apart in Pokemon, it's too sad in such a happy show.

STJ
8th April 2006, 5:48 AM
For Pokeshipping, I guess I'd have to say "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak". Ash blushes at Misty when he sees her in her yukata, and lots of people say that's their favorite hint. Well, no offense to them, but I don't think it means much at all. I mean, sure, he thinks she's cute, but that doesn't mean that he's in love with her. I liked that hint, but I didn't place too much value on it.

Oh, and with Orangeshippers, the thing about Misty not talking to Ash much during those three episodes a while back. I think that they just didn't need her in that episode and so left her out. Characters don't grow apart in Pokemon, it's too sad in such a happy show.

News flash - Ash DIDN'T blush when he saw her in that episode.

oh boy, there are so many 'hints' which have been said in the past which, I feel, have absouletely no meaning at all in terms of romance, but I think, for now, it's better that I keep my opinons to myself.

Hakajin
8th April 2006, 5:56 AM
News flash - Ash DIDN'T blush when he saw her in that episode.

Did so! I've seen it several times, and no one would mention it if someone had proven otherwise. After all, pretty much everyone admits that a lot of hints are dubs. Besides, there was the nice bubbly background behind her when he looked at her, and he kinda hesitated. It really didn't even need the blushing.

STJ
8th April 2006, 6:00 AM
oh really?

http://www.freespaces.com/shiphappens/antiship/antiship/ghost1.jpg

http://www.freespaces.com/shiphappens/antiship/antiship/ghost2.jpg
See any blushing? cause I don't.

Just so you know, I didn't leave anything important out of these pictures. These pictures where taken directly before and after the Misty in Kimono shot

Hakajin
8th April 2006, 6:06 AM
A single frame out of each scene. Besides, I told you, the blushing is irrelevant anyway.

STJ
8th April 2006, 6:09 AM
Well, so long as you don't believe he blushed, then you take the scene however you wish.

But if you still don't believe me, I'll upload the entire clip. But since you probably don't care, and I really don't either. I'll let the disuccuion as it is for the thread to get back on topic

Hakajin
8th April 2006, 6:13 AM
Perhaps I am mistaken, but I have heard Pokeshippers talk about it many times over without being corrected, and it seemed to me that he blushed when I saw it. In any case, I don't think there's any doubt that he thought she looked nice for a moment, and I would not mind saying the same thing of May or any other opposing ship. It's not important to me anyway, I only wanted to defend my point, which I have done, and I am through with this conversation.

Lux
8th April 2006, 6:18 AM
The most overrated shipping moment in Pokemon has to be "Gotta Catch You Later" (with a little help from 4Kids, of course). I was madly looking forward that episode because all the stuff I heard people saying in forums, magazines and personal websites, but when I watched it... meh. Even the dub making the whole thing look like a Televisa soap opera, I must say it was most about friendship than love. :/

Hakajin
8th April 2006, 6:26 AM
Well, that's a little different with me, because to me, their friendship is the biggest part of the love I see between them. Like every time Misty helps Ash or supports him, people say that it's just because they're friends, but those are the parts that get to me, not mushy stuff.

Of course, I like to say that things that happen between Ash and May are just friendship, but it would upset me greatly if there were other hints. In all honesty, I probably would have liked Advanceshipping had I not already been obsessed with Pokeshipping.

Astinus
8th April 2006, 9:20 AM
For the Digimon fandom, I have a LOT of moments that are way overrated for Takeru x Hikari. I won't list them, as no one is interested in hearing me bash Hikari. *rolls eyes*

Definetly the whole "any physical contact makes them in love." It's near-instinct to reach out and hold someone in a moment of fear or extreme joy. Those types of reasons are one of the biggest irks in my life of shipping...

Shigeru-kun
8th April 2006, 9:35 AM
For the Digimon fandom, I have a LOT of moments that are way overrated for Takeru x Hikari. I won't list them, as no one is interested in hearing me bash Hikari. *rolls eyes*
I love Hikari-chan myself, but I totally agree. Many Takari "moments" are really taken to the extreme. Heck, just anything to do with them is. ._.;

Alfonso
8th April 2006, 10:13 AM
A single frame out of each scene. Besides, I told you, the blushing is irrelevant anyway.

Funny how blushing is only irrelevant once you're proven wrong and someone proves that Ash wasn't blushing in that scene, isn't it?

Seijiro Mafuné
8th April 2006, 12:14 PM
*Ahem. First off, Seed House, I don't mean to insult you. So, please don't take it wrongly.*

You want to know some overrated shipping moments? How about those which include characters that just, plainly, and completely DON'T INTERACT THAT WAY? A couple of examples being Palletshipping or certain YYH ships?

I could list more, but people don't listen to me anyway, so I won't bother.

Hakajin
8th April 2006, 8:12 PM
Funny how blushing is only irrelevant once you're proven wrong and someone proves that Ash wasn't blushing in that scene, isn't it?

Alfonso. I've long said that, and you know it. I said it here before I even admitted my fault. Besides, I listed as an overrated hint anyway. My original point was that it didn't mean anything. I don't know why he even contested me. And would you deny that Ash thought Misty was pretty in that scene?

Revolutionary Destiny
8th April 2006, 10:02 PM
I agree with you 100%! the Inu/Kag shippers are like "OMFG OMFGZ INUYASHA AN KAGS KISSED!!!!!!1111!! OMG THEY R SOOO MENT 2 BE DAT KISS WAS SOOOOO PERFECT LIKE DEM INU/KAGOME 4 EVERZ!!!!!111!!" meanwhile the movies are just fillers and fan service for the annoying Inu/Kag shippers meanwhile in the anime and manga its just Inuyasha & Kikyou that kiss and Kagome runs away in a jealous rage. and then the Inu/Kag shippers (that are Kikyou Haters) go around yelling that "KIKEO IS A STOOPID ***** DIIIEEE CLAY POT I HATE YOU!!!!!! SHE R A ***** 4 KISSIN HIM FIRST THAT ****!!!11!!"

*sigh* but this is why i prefer the non canon parings:)

and no offence but some Poke shippers can be a wee bit over the top too ;/

I agree about the movies being fan service for Inuyasha/Kagome shippers. Now that I think about it, they also sometimes play up the "Kikyo is a mean, stupid, clay pot b**** that needs to stop coming in between Inuyasha and Kagome and needs to die" point of view that a lot of Inuyasha/Kagome shippers have.

And the Pokeshippers...Well, I just didn't feel like going there with them:) But they do have a few overrated moments.

Magus
9th April 2006, 2:47 AM
I have never seen such an obvious safe circle in my entire life. It's amazing to see people even declaring this ship canon, despite the fact that Tracey and Daisy share nothing more than a few lines of friendly dialouge.
Sure, and Orangeshipping isn't a fanon ship that Advanceshippers have jumped on because it keeps Misty out of the way. Orangeshipping's best hint is a scene that didn't actually happen. Though that does put it one up on Advanceshipping. :p

We don't need "protection" from Orangeshipping, because it's fanon. Handymanshipping is liked because it's cute, and because it helps Daisy break away from the "shallow bimbo" image she had before.

Besides, the most obvious "safe circle" ever is Drew/Wakana; I seem to recall Advanceshippers starting a thread for it here before the Yuzihura Contest even aired.

STJ
9th April 2006, 2:49 AM
Besides, the most obvious "safe circle" ever is Drew/Wakana; I seem to recall Advanceshippers starting a thread for it here before the Yuzihura Contest even aired.
Just so you know, I started that thread, and I'm NOT an Advanceshipper :p

Alfonso. I've long said that, and you know it. I said it here before I even admitted my fault. Besides, I listed as an overrated hint anyway. My original point was that it didn't mean anything. I don't know why he even contested me. And would you deny that Ash thought Misty was pretty in that scene?
Are you referring to me there? If so, for future reference, I'm a girl :D

I'm usually the type of person that lets things slide when it comes to opinion. But when it comes to fact, and I see that someone is incorrect, I have the urge to correct them.

Did so! I've seen it several times, and no one would mention it if someone had proven otherwise
Woud you rather have me not say anything? Is ignornace bliss? Perhaps in some cases it is.

Anyway. back on topic

Hmm..I don't usually know many other shipping fandoms out there, but I when I see Digimon, I don't think there is as strong evidence for Tai/Sora and T.k/Kairi as the fans might have suggested

Raevell
9th April 2006, 3:17 AM
I think just about any show has overrated shipping moments in it. Now I don't go around shouting, "This proves they love each other!" but there are scenes that I find adorable between two characters and I joke about it being romantic. But when it comes right down to it, it all depends on the writers mind at the time. ^^;

I think a lot of the time it's fueled by fanservice. With shows like Pokemon there is no one person with a vision who wants a certain idea to be carried out. They throw stuff in there for the audience because there isn't a such thing as artistic integrity.

For example, Palletshipping, because it gained popularity I think they did throw in some extra stuff to appease the fans at the end of the Johto league. I feel they went so far with it because they knew there were people who wanted to see it and since the writers are so flexible they went with it. I think it's the same with contestshipping and pokeshipping. It's fanservice because the writers really don't care.(and before anyone pokes me, I will say that it is the same with advanceshipping as well) In Pokemon at least I think the most of the hints don't mean a thing.

A really great example of fanservice is the video game company Square Enix. They throw many unnecessary yaoi hints in their games nowadays because they know they have a strong female fangirl base. There is stuff in there you just know they did for us fangirls. :D

So when it comes right down to it you can't take anything too seriously, just enjoy what you get.

CyberCubed
9th April 2006, 3:48 AM
Handymanshipping is liked because it's cute, and because it helps Daisy break away from the "shallow bimbo" image she had before.

It may be liked, but the amount of Pokeshippers who support this ship is astounding. The ship has about an episode worth of Tracey/Daisy interaction, and if the concept of Orangeshipping was never brought up, very few would care about this ship.

Oh please, nobody honestly expects them to pair Drew with Wakana. :rolleyes: There are a lot of Contestshippers who like this pairing too for that matter, moreso than anyone else I noticed.

Technically supporting it isn't any different than the people who like Ash/Anabel. They're both one-sided canon crushes (Wakana--->Drew) and (Anabel--->Ash) so it's no big deal. Very few people expect them to pair either of them up.

Hakajin
9th April 2006, 4:31 AM
Are you referring to me there? If so, for future reference, I'm a girl

I'm usually the type of person that lets things slide when it comes to opinion. But when it comes to fact, and I see that someone is incorrect, I have the urge to correct them.

Oh, my mistake. I know what you mean, though you could have said it more gently. But I've already forgotten that.

Woud you rather have me not say anything? Is ignornace bliss? Perhaps in some cases it is.

Anyway. back on topic

I didn't believe you, that's all, it wasn't as if it bothered me from the standpoint of a Pokeshipper. I've said from the very beginning that I thought it was cute, but didn't have much meaning. And I really meant what I said about the blushing being irrelevent, even if it was a bit late. I just don't like to be corrected.

STJ
9th April 2006, 4:58 AM
Oh, my mistake. I know what you mean, though you could have said it more gently. But I've already forgotten that.
heh, I probably have to work on that XD

I think just about any show has overrated shipping moments in it. Now I don't go around shouting, "This proves they love each other!" but there are scenes that I find adorable between two characters and I joke about it being romantic. But when it comes right down to it, it all depends on the writers mind at the time. ^^;
I agree, there's times where I really wish I knew what they were thinking :p

Hakajin
9th April 2006, 5:07 AM
That's all right, I do the same thing sometimes myself. But not often because I usually make a fool of myself in some way when I do, lol.

Astinus
9th April 2006, 7:49 AM
Pikashipping. The relationship between Ash and Pikachu. Did you know that someone believes that just because Pikachu sits on Ash's shoulder, that means that the little rodent loves Ash? Pathetic, in my opinion.

Yes! STJ agress with me on the Takari shipping! Finally, someone else beisdes Shigeru-kun that believes they are not the perfect couple!

And I'll agree, Pokéshippers do find overrated moments, but I see more of this on Bulbagarden. Like the fact that Misty stays at Ash's house, waiting for him to return. *rolls eyes*

Hakajin
9th April 2006, 8:08 AM
And I'll agree, Pokéshippers do find overrated moments, but I see more of this on Bulbagarden. Like the fact that Misty stays at Ash's house, waiting for him to return. *rolls eyes*

Lol, that's funny. I wouldn't like that even if it were true. It totally ruins Misty's character. I wouldn't like such a wimpy, dependent girl. Though it would be encouraging to see her miss him some . . .

Sika
9th April 2006, 8:13 AM
I agree that a lot of Pokeshipping moments are horribly overrated. I saw the episode tonight *coughtorrentcough* and Misty's reaction at seeing Ash is normal friendship happiness.

Grand Festival is overrated. Nuff' said.[/bias]

A lot of Advanceshipping moments are overrated too. Or at least that is what the non-AS say :p.

Hakajin
9th April 2006, 7:22 PM
I don't think anyone thought that the new episodes with Misty were particularly shippy, they were just glad to see Misty again.

Kana
9th April 2006, 7:32 PM
A lot of the major shipping moments (Pokeshipping, Advanceshipping, etc. etc.).

Sika
9th April 2006, 7:40 PM
I don't think anyone thought that the new episodes with Misty were particularly shippy, they were just glad to see Misty again.

Ask Archaic/Mamoru.

Alfonso
10th April 2006, 2:18 AM
Sure, and Orangeshipping isn't a fanon ship that Advanceshippers have jumped on because it keeps Misty out of the way. Orangeshipping's best hint is a scene that didn't actually happen. Though that does put it one up on Advanceshipping. :p

We don't need "protection" from Orangeshipping, because it's fanon. Handymanshipping is liked because it's cute, and because it helps Daisy break away from the "shallow bimbo" image she had before.

Yes, and your precious Pokeshipping isn't fanon.

GET.

REAL.

Pokeshipping isn't real, it isn't canon. It mostly exists, especially these days, in the eyes and minds of the fan. It's fanon.

I'm sorry, (Not really.) but your post greatly annoyed me. You're acting like Orangeshipping is some sort of pathetic pairing that only exists because and as a 'safe circle' for Advanceshippers. Yeah, well, it's not. It was around way before Advanceshippers, and we (The Orangeshippers who are Orangeshippers, and not Advanced/Orangeshippers.) certainly did not expect so many to jump on board.

Orangeshipping's best hint actually did happen and it's Tracey giving Misty the child of his Pokemon and Misty prefering to hang out with Tracey instead of Ash at Oak's Lab. :3

I love how you're trying to put yourself above everyone else. You say Orangeshipping is fanon, and just a 'safe circle' for Advanceshippers. You say Handymanshipping is liked because it's 'cute' and not for worried Pokeshippers who want Tracey out of the way. Well, you're wrong. I remember back when the Handymanshipping threads first popped up. Most of, if not all of the supporters were Pokeshippers that were obviously worried at the lack of their precious Misty from the show.

What makes you think the Advanceshippers don't think Orangeshipping is cute? What makes Handymanshipping that so much greater than all the other supposed 'safe circle' pairings?

Nothing.

NoDot
10th April 2006, 3:04 AM
Since we've digressed into the topic, I figure I'll happily reiterate my opinion on Defensive Shipping (the "safe circle").

Defensive Shippers are the scum of the planet who should be stoned to death, beheaded, or burned at some religous symbol (cross, Star of David, swastika, take your pick). They rank just above Rabbid Shippers (who should be slowly tortured to death).

But... that's just my opinion.

Magus
10th April 2006, 3:53 AM
Orangeshipping's best hint actually did happen and it's Tracey giving Misty the child of his Pokemon
Which isn't a hint at all.

and Misty prefering to hang out with Tracey instead of Ash at Oak's Lab. :3
Which didn't actually happen. The whole group was together for most of the episode. Also notice that Misty left with Ash, not Tracey, and would have stayed with him longer if she didn't get another call from her sisters telling her she needed to hurry back to the Gym.

Thanks for bringing us back to the main topic by listing some overrated "shipping moments".

Dark Butterfly
10th April 2006, 4:03 AM
Now i feel ashamed that i like the ShiShi(Palletshipping) pairing :(

Hakajin
10th April 2006, 4:20 AM
Yes, and your precious Pokeshipping isn't fanon.

GET.

REAL.

Pokeshipping isn't real, it isn't canon. It mostly exists, especially these days, in the eyes and minds of the fan. It's fanon.

It does have its share of hints, they're not all dubbed, and though was ever for sure, the writers were definitely hinting at something, at least on Misty's side. Now, whether it's still going is different, but there used to be something to it. And to say that "especially now" it isn't canon? I can't believe you would say something like that, not when you've corrected me on similar mistakes. It's either canon or it's not, it can't be "more canon" or "especially canon".

I would agree that Handyman shipping is canon. Tracey doesn't bother me, but I like it anyway because I like pairing everyone up. I don't think it has any real hints though. But I don't think Orangeshipping has much more evidence. It used to bother me, but not anymore. And I think it would still bother me if I thought there was anything to it, because Advanceshipping bothered me for a long time before I heard what was there was to it.

cold_katanagirl
10th April 2006, 4:51 AM
Now i feel ashamed that i like the ShiShi(Palletshipping) pairing :(Why? Who cares what other people think about your ship? As long as you like it, it doesn't really matter. :O

Ignoring the Pokeshipping and such, I always thought Harry and Hermione had a few overrated moments... I recall someone saying that Hermione giving Harry advice about helping Cho out was a hint. Maybe I just don't get it.

Alfonso
10th April 2006, 1:42 PM
Which isn't a hint at all.

And half of the stuff that you guys claim to be hints are? Sorry, but if Ash gave Misty the baby of his Squirtle, then you'd all be claiming it was a hint. Am I right?

Think about it. Tracey gave Misty the child of his Pokemon. That's no small thing. It shows how close the two have become that Tracey would entrust such a major thing to Misty.

Which didn't actually happen. The whole group was together for most of the episode. Also notice that Misty left with Ash, not Tracey, and would have stayed with him longer if she didn't get another call from her sisters telling her she needed to hurry back to the Gym.

Uh, yes, it did actually happen. Misty did choose to hang out with Tracey over Ash. At the start of the episode, instead of deciding to hang out with Ash, the guy she's not seen for ages and is supposed to 'love', she decides to stick with the guy she's seen quite a bit as of late and help him take care of the Starter Pokemon. Now, surely the guy she 'loved' would be more important than doing some lab work? :o Regardless of how much of the episode that was, she still prefered to be with Tracey rather than Ash.

As for leaving at the end of the episode, she HAD to leave anyway. She was staying at Ash's house while she waited for Ash to return. With Ash setting out on another adventure, she didn't have anywhere to stay and thus had to leave: So she might as well go with Ash.

Thanks for bringing us back to the main topic by listing some overrated "shipping moments".

Such as Misty staying at Ash's house having cultural connatations? :o

And lol, no. Handymanshipping is not canon. It was a one-shot 'shipping', if you could ever call it that, that involved Daisy using Tracey to fix her pipes and reward him by 'letting' him buy her a free meal. She used him, and then proceeded to have fantasies about him and her sister together in a romantic situation.

Atoyont
10th April 2006, 2:03 PM
Now I remember why I left this part of the forums in the first place. Because it infuriates people.
And though I am a Pokeshipper, I really don't think that any shipping is canon because, like in the real world, people can change who they like at any time. The writers don't care that much what the fans think. Care and friendship are different things that love, much different. Almost every ship has some hints, whether one thinks that they are overrated (or canon) depends on how much you care about the ship.

Jo-Jo
10th April 2006, 4:48 PM
lol internet.

Tracey giving Misty Azurill is an excellent example of an overrated shipping moment. As is all that Vineshipping business, and any 'hint' that relies on human/Pokemon parallels.

I believe this one was brought up earlier, but I definitely agree that the Ash/May moment in Date Expectations was exaggerated. That scene was all about May's relationship with MAX, not Ash. And the comparison between Ash putting his hands on May's shoulders and Caroline doing the exact same thing in May's flashback got a snicker from me.

The Handymanshipping moments, by the sound of it, have been blown up by shippers into something more than what they truly are. But I haven't seen the relevant episodes yet, so...

The Pokeshipping hint of Misty waiting at Ash's house is majorly overrated. I have to wonder why, if staying at a boy's house is considered so scandalous/suggestive, Misty was so casual about the whole thing. In the past, she usually turned scarlet whenever anyone hinted at her feelings for Ash; you'd think she'd be embarrassed if she were doing something that might cause the whole neighbourhood to think there was something going on there.

That said, all the crap I've heard about how Misty "ignored Ash to hang around with Tracey" in the Oak's lab ep is also BS. Call that an overrated anti-shippy moment. In actuality, the whole group was together for most of the time.

taitofan
10th April 2006, 5:22 PM
Huh. I personally think that 99% of shipping hints in Pokemon are blown way out of proportion. Even the ships I like. Contestshipping pops to mind... The Wakana episode is the only one I can really say I find worthy of praise, while the rest, especially the Sonano episode, aren't all that great shipping-wise. =/ Poke/orange/handyman/advanceshipping are all the same way. Friendship being seen as romance for the most part. And I remember way back when the Rumika episode first aired... That scene in the end with Musashi, Kojirou, and the balloon was highly exagerated too.

Other fandoms... I agree with what's been said about Digimon and Inuyasha. The hospital scene in End of Evangelion being used as ShinjixAsuka proof scares me. Why those shippers don't wipe that scene from their minds is beyond me...

The date at the Gold Saucer in Final Fantasy VII is so overrated that it in't funny. I love when people use it as proof of Cloud loving Aerith/Tifa/Yuffie, though he has no say in it and you can not only manipulate who you get, but also how the date goes. And they also seem to forget that you can get Barret too. Heh, too bad the other guys weren't options too... [/fangirlism]

Mamoru
10th April 2006, 9:35 PM
Lol, that's funny. I wouldn't like that even if it were true. It totally ruins Misty's character. I wouldn't like such a wimpy, dependent girl. Though it would be encouraging to see her miss him some . . .

The whole problem with this hint is that it relies upon Japanese cultural knowledge, something that most people on these forums simply do not have. A Japanese person has a dramatically different reaction to this scene than a Western person does. Her behaviour is, from the Japanese perspective, frankly, scandalous. Presented with the option of going down to meet him (and pick up the baby from Tracey) after she arrived, rather than going down several days in advance and waiting at his house for him to appear, it would be fully expected that she would wait, or even make the trip twice. No matter how close a friend she is, staying at a person's house, at least when it's a male/female friendship anyway, and especially when it's a situation like this and the person isn't even there, is simply not done, not without significant implications of a person's feelings for the other. And that goes double for anime and live-action drama. The fact that she and the others there were so seemingly casual about it, and that Ash's mother had no problems with her doing it, says volumes. It'd actually imply possible acceptance and knowledge to some degree of Misty's feelings for Ash on their part. Either that, or they've already worked out whatever issues they may have had with Misty doing that before Ash arrived. We might not really ever know there. The Japanese are famous for being polite to the point of supressing their own displeasure with certain situations, and for all we know, inside, they were annoyed with Misty being that forward.

In any case, given that we already had a confession of her feelings from Misty, it's an unnecessary hint in any case. All it really does is serve to remind us that Misty still has those feelings for Ash, even if she's not currently actively throwing herself at him.

STJ
10th April 2006, 11:21 PM
Well, I've seen much, MUCH better confessions of feelings in other anime, but that's beside the point..

The Wakana episode is the only one I can really say I find worthy of praise, while the rest, especially the Sonano episode, aren't all that great shipping-wise. =/
I'm not even sure THAT episode lived up to the hype created by Contestshippers. In the mind of some, at least.

Hakajin
11th April 2006, 5:14 AM
And half of the stuff that you guys claim to be hints are? Sorry, but if Ash gave Misty the baby of his Squirtle, then you'd all be claiming it was a hint. Am I right?

Think about it. Tracey gave Misty the child of his Pokemon. That's no small thing. It shows how close the two have become that Tracey would entrust such a major thing to Misty.

You're right, we do have a lot of non-hints, but we also have some that are undisputible. Orangeshipping doesn't have any of those as far as I can tell.

And they are close friends, why shouldn't he trust her? Lol, you're probably also right that we would take it as a hint, but still, you can't build a whole argument around that one thing.

Uh, yes, it did actually happen. Misty did choose to hang out with Tracey over Ash. At the start of the episode, instead of deciding to hang out with Ash, the guy she's not seen for ages and is supposed to 'love', she decides to stick with the guy she's seen quite a bit as of late and help him take care of the Starter Pokemon. Now, surely the guy she 'loved' would be more important than doing some lab work? Regardless of how much of the episode that was, she still prefered to be with Tracey rather than Ash.

As for leaving at the end of the episode, she HAD to leave anyway. She was staying at Ash's house while she waited for Ash to return. With Ash setting out on another adventure, she didn't have anywhere to stay and thus had to leave: So she might as well go with Ash.

You know what I have to say about this, and it must be a pretty good argument, because you never debate it. I think the writers simply didn't want Misty in the next episodes, they wanted to get past that part, and she wasn't needed for when May and Max were introduced to Ash's old Pokemon either, and that's why she stayed with Tracey. As I keep saying, Pokemon is such a happy show, people don't grow apart. Even if they only met once a long time ago, it's like no time has passed. "Friends forever" and all that crap. And I truly doubt the writers would do something that subtle to indicate a relationship. It's not a soap-opera, even though many of us wish it would be, and usually things about romance are done to be cute or funny, not to keep us guessing about what's going on.

The whole problem with this hint is that it relies upon Japanese cultural knowledge, something that most people on these forums simply do not have. A Japanese person has a dramatically different reaction to this scene than a Western person does. Her behaviour is, from the Japanese perspective, frankly, scandalous. Presented with the option of going down to meet him (and pick up the baby from Tracey) after she arrived, rather than going down several days in advance and waiting at his house for him to appear, it would be fully expected that she would wait, or even make the trip twice. No matter how close a friend she is, staying at a person's house, at least when it's a male/female friendship anyway, and especially when it's a situation like this and the person isn't even there, is simply not done, not without significant implications of a person's feelings for the other. And that goes double for anime and live-action drama. The fact that she and the others there were so seemingly casual about it, and that Ash's mother had no problems with her doing it, says volumes. It'd actually imply possible acceptance and knowledge to some degree of Misty's feelings for Ash on their part. Either that, or they've already worked out whatever issues they may have had with Misty doing that before Ash arrived. We might not really ever know there. The Japanese are famous for being polite to the point of supressing their own displeasure with certain situations, and for all we know, inside, they were annoyed with Misty being that forward.

I know this, but you have to remember, the characters do not live in Japan, they live in Pokemon world. There are cultural differences between the two. And also given their ages, I don't think it would be as big a deal. The writers are Japanese too, and they wouldn't want to do anything scandalous on a kid show. I think it was just a convenient way to have Misty there.

CyberCubed
11th April 2006, 5:16 AM
This is turning into more of a debate thread then what the topic is about, just to say it. :/

Hakajin
11th April 2006, 6:26 AM
Yeah, it is, but it was bound to happen. And I can't resist a good argument.

Alfonso
11th April 2006, 2:05 PM
You're right, we do have a lot of non-hints, but we also have some that are undisputible. Orangeshipping doesn't have any of those as far as I can tell.

No, you did have undisputible hints. Those have been worn away by time, character development and a change in course from the writer's original intentions. Anabel was one of those. She's the first girl to crush on Ash while Misty isn't about, and proof that the writers are, if it wasn't obvious, throwing new and exciting possibilities at Ash.

I know this, but you have to remember, the characters do not live in Japan, they live in Pokemon world. There are cultural differences between the two. And also given their ages, I don't think it would be as big a deal. The writers are Japanese too, and they wouldn't want to do anything scandalous on a kid show. I think it was just a convenient way to have Misty there.

Finally someone gets it. :< I 100% agree with this, as I believe the whole 'Misty staying at Ash's house' so called 'hint' has been blown way out of proportion. Sure, that's how it would be 'in real life' Japan, but Pokemon isn't IRL, and the writers probably, if not certainly, didn't give the thing a second thought when they dumped Misty there.

Who knows, for all we know, she could have gone down to Pallet early to pick up Azurill. We didn't, after all, get to hear when exactly Azurill hatched and was given to Misty.

Jo-Jo
11th April 2006, 2:16 PM
No, you did have undisputible hints. Those have been worn away by time, character development and a change in course from the writer's original intentions. Anabel was one of those. She's the first girl to crush on Ash while Misty isn't about, and proof that the writers are, if it wasn't obvious, throwing new and exciting possibilities at Ash.
:D rofl. Yeah, Pokeshippers should be wetting themselves over Ash/Anabel. What could be more of a ship-sinker than another girl having a crush on Ash and Ash not even noticing, let alone reciprocating, as well as mistaking said girl for a boy in the previous episode?

I suppose Sid having a crush on May is a blow against Contestshipping, too.

Alfonso
11th April 2006, 2:28 PM
:D rofl. Yeah, Pokeshippers should be wetting themselves over Ash/Anabel. What could be more of a ship-sinker than another girl having a crush on Ash and Ash not even noticing, let alone reciprocating, as well as mistaking said girl for a boy in the previous episode?

No, but it shows that the writers are at least thinking outside of the Pokeshipping bubble you guys seem to think they live in. They obviously don't care about it anymore, since they're at least throwing other girls at Ash. Even if he doesn't notice them, or even like them, it shows that the writers are developing and trying new things. Who knows, the next girl could be one Ash takes notice at.

Last time I checked, Ash didn't notice Misty was crushing on him either. :)

Magus
11th April 2006, 4:09 PM
Yes, a girl who will never be seen again having a crush on Ash is certainly proof that they're going to give Ash a real love interest other than Misty. :rolleyes:

Maybe you've forgotten, but several girls had crushes on Ash back when Misty was still in the main cast. As things stand now, the most likely scenarios for canon pairings are Ash ending up with Misty or not being paired up at all when the series ends.

Hakajin
11th April 2006, 10:13 PM

I never said that those are definitely still valid, I'm just saying that it has more going for it than Orangeshipping. I think I my arguments mixed up . . . I was trying to say that it was canon at one point. I don't take another girl who has a one time appearance getting a crush on Ash as a sign that Pokeshipping is dead. Girls have always gotten crushes on him.

Finally someone gets it. :< I 100% agree with this, as I believe the whole 'Misty staying at Ash's house' so called 'hint' has been blown way out of proportion. Sure, that's how it would be 'in real life' Japan, but Pokemon isn't IRL, and the writers probably, if not certainly, didn't give the thing a second thought when they dumped Misty there.

Wow, Alfonso actually agrees with something I said! I hate to think what disasters this portends, lol.

CyberCubed
11th April 2006, 10:15 PM
Maybe you've forgotten, but several girls had crushes on Ash back when Misty was still in the main cast.

Yes, but most of those girls were just used to push Pokeshipping.

Anabel is the first one that wasn't. So either the writers decided to have Anabel crush on Ash for the hell of it or its because they're looking foward with new Ash ships.

Hakajin
11th April 2006, 10:18 PM
Yes, but most of those girls were just used to push Pokeshipping.

Anabel is the first one that wasn't. So either the writers decided to have Anabel crush on Ash for the hell of it or its because they're looking foward with new Ash ships.

The only way I can see it is that it's meant to show how lovable Ash is. I can't exactly explain it . . . sorta like when he wins over an enemy or a rival by being all idealistic and defending Pikachu no matter what and all that. It just shows how much other people are impressed with him.

Magus
11th April 2006, 10:29 PM
Or, it was to give Anabel a character trait beyond "I'm psychic!" That would seem to be by far the most likely explanation.

Raevell
12th April 2006, 7:17 AM
Or, it was to give Anabel a character trait beyond "I'm psychic!" That would seem to be by far the most likely explanation.

She's a one time character, used and then forgotten, probably never to be brought up again. Why would they care about her character development? I think it really just came down to it's been a while for Ash so why not just go with it? Why do the writers need some reason beyond it was a cute romantic moment that we haven't had in a while, let alone involving Ash. ;)

Looking at it with Japanese culture in mind still says nothing to me. A lot of Japanese culture is dropped from anime shows. Look at how some characters talk so casually to people they've just met. This can be considered rude in real life. Or the fact of how many characters below the age of ten use "ore" to refer to themselves. Or how Brock grabs the hands of girls he's just met in such a way, which last time I checked is pretty inappropriate from Japanese standards.

Heck, Misty slept in Ash's room with him back at his house in the Kanto days. That is much more hinty than her showing up at his house while he wasn't there and his mother allowing her to stay for a while.

To me, this whole situation was considered a hint because some people want to believe that pokeshipping hasn't been dropped from the show at this point.

Hakajin
12th April 2006, 1:38 PM
I wonder what it meant when Brock not only stayed at his house, but helped his mother with household chores. Lol.

Magus
12th April 2006, 6:26 PM
She's a one time character, used and then forgotten, probably never to be brought up again. Why would they care about her character development? I think it really just came down to it's been a while for Ash so why not just go with it? Why do the writers need some reason beyond it was a cute romantic moment that we haven't had in a while, let alone involving Ash. ;)
Because having a two-part episode about a one-dimensional character would be fairly boring, maybe? Giving Anabel actual personality traits makes viewers less likely to get bored by her in those two episodes, and giving her a crush on one of the main cast members is a very easy way to do that. Ash was the obvious choice, because he's the only member of the main cast who's around the same age as Anabel. People who want to see this as forshadowing of a new canon ship for Ash are reading way more into it than is actually there.

Raevell
12th April 2006, 7:03 PM
People who want to see this as forshadowing of a new canon ship for Ash are reading way more into it than is actually there.

Oh, I agree. Girls have crushed on Ash before, some in a much more obvious fashion. (Macy for example) I don't think we'll see Anabel again and Ash remained clueless to her affections just as he has with everyone else. The writers aren't in any hurry to hook him up with anyone and I wonder if they ever will at all.

I wonder what it meant when Brock not only stayed at his house, but helped his mother with household chores. Lol.

Oh, my! The scandal, the scandal!! ;)

Jo-Jo
12th April 2006, 7:07 PM
Oh, yeah, Brock... do those chores, you dirty beast! ;)

cryztalwing
13th April 2006, 3:10 PM
Who knows, the next girl could be one Ash takes notice at.

Last time I checked, Ash didn't notice Misty was crushing on him either. :)

I think Ash has all ready notice May, but being has dense, and slow has he is to romance he probley does not really know what the felling is. He probley won't know what the felling is untill he has spent a lot of time tranning his PoKeMoN with a girl, such has May. I mean really tranning with each other, and repeadly battling each other's PoKeMoN. That might be the ture key for any girl, such has May to get to his heart, and become more than just freind's with him. I really whould like to see May and Ash getting together...

dannyphantomhott
13th April 2006, 9:18 PM
Oh, I agree. Girls have crushed on Ash before, some in a much more obvious fashion. (Macy for example) I don't think we'll see Anabel again and Ash remained clueless to her affections just as he has with everyone else. The writers aren't in any hurry to hook him up with anyone and I wonder if they ever will at all.

Oh, my! The scandal, the scandal!! ;)

A Abilityshipper coming to defense....I think we will see Anabel agian. We saw Macy a few times in the leauge when Ash had to battle in the Jhoto thing. Any who if Anabel does get seen agian I'm going to guess she may want to travel with Ash since she has feelings for him, but that's just my guess.

Dark Butterfly
13th April 2006, 10:38 PM
Misty had her share of guys, heck Rudy wanted to marry her and all Ash was concerned about was beating him and getting the badge...

Well pretty much all animes have Overrated moments but i think Inuyasha has to be the winner (sorry to Inu/Kag shippers) most of the Inu/Kag moments are overrated even the Sango/Miroku moments are too ;/

I kind of wish A.J came back though since Gary is gone Ash needs another rival.

Raevell
14th April 2006, 5:14 AM
A Abilityshipper coming to defense....I think we will see Anabel agian. We saw Macy a few times in the leauge when Ash had to battle in the Jhoto thing. Any who if Anabel does get seen agian I'm going to guess she may want to travel with Ash since she has feelings for him, but that's just my guess.

Yeah, but once the league was over, poof, that was it. Macy was there for the continuation of plot surrounding the league and once that was over and done with she was gone and we haven't seen her since. Don't misunderstand me though, I like abilityshipping too. Anabel and Ash are adorable together but I don't see her coming back, sadly.

And concerning Inu Yasha.... Bah. I stopped watching that after they lost the stupid jewel for the 422nd time. Though Kagome and Inu Yasha together always came off as a bad idea to me. They get mad at each other too easily but honestly I would be shocked if there wasn't a hook up eventually. The writer always seemed to want to go there with them. (Though more from Kagome's side that Inu Yasha who has a Kikyo complex)

And did they ever manage to kill Naraku or is he still around?

cold_katanagirl
14th April 2006, 5:24 AM
And did they ever manage to kill Naraku or is he still around?The manga is on the fourty-something volume, and he's still alive. He refuses to die. :O

Hm... Now that I think about it, Onigumo's feelings toward Kikyou have always seemed overrated to me. I mean, why is it everyone says he loves Kikyou but Inuyasha never did? That phails on sooo many levels. D:

Revolutionary Destiny
14th April 2006, 6:20 AM
The manga is on the fourty-something volume, and he's still alive. He refuses to die. :O

Hm... Now that I think about it, Onigumo's feelings toward Kikyou have always seemed overrated to me. I mean, why is it everyone says he loves Kikyou but Inuyasha never did? That phails on sooo many levels. D:

Tell me about it! Look at some of the Inuyasha/Kikyo moments (before and after Kikyo's death/resurrection) and tell me that Inuyasha doesn't love Kikyo with a straight face.

For example, how Inuyasha usually leaves Kagome for Kikyo whenever he knows she's around. If Inuyasha left Kikyo for Kagome, all of the Inuyasha/Kagome shippers would say "OMG!!!11 Inuyasha and Kagome r in teh luvv nd will have teh babyz!!!111" But since it's the other way around, all they can do is give excuses.

dannyphantomhott
14th April 2006, 7:00 AM
Yeah, but once the league was over, poof, that was it. Macy was there for the continuation of plot surrounding the league and once that was over and done with she was gone and we haven't seen her since. Don't misunderstand me though, I like abilityshipping too. Anabel and Ash are adorable together but I don't see her coming back, sadly.

And concerning Inu Yasha.... Bah. I stopped watching that after they lost the stupid jewel for the 422nd time. Though Kagome and Inu Yasha together always came off as a bad idea to me. They get mad at each other too easily but honestly I would be shocked if there wasn't a hook up eventually. The writer always seemed to want to go there with them. (Though more from Kagome's side that Inu Yasha who has a Kikyo complex)

And did they ever manage to kill Naraku or is he still around?

Oh yah I know...I'm just saying we could see her agian even if its just for two episodes. Did Macy ever blush? She was too young to understand love it was just a crush on Ash. Anabel on the other hand became close to him and see's whaty's inside him, it could be love. And if it is she's mature enough to confess it, and maybe the next they see each other she could.

shigilyboohoo
18th April 2006, 6:33 PM
Well, Ash is a hopeless romantic, remember the time when his Grovyle liked that Meganium and everyone else noticed it except for Ash and he then just said something stupid about it and the group all did weird faces at the situation even pikachu that he's so dumb? haha

STJ
19th April 2006, 12:43 AM
I woudn't call Ash a hopeless romantic, I've always seen a hopeless romantic as someone who has a passion for romance, who sees romance wherever he/she goes, going out of his/her lengths for a romantic happy ending

Ash, on the other hand, doesn't really care about romance, he's happy just the way things are, and well, is prety much unaware of most romance when he comes across it (the Meganium and Tropius being an example)

Back on topic *thinks* well, I'll have to get back to you