PDA

View Full Version : 2 problems: Regarding copyright.. And regarding news scripts...

Jetx
9th April 2006, 9:08 PM
Okay, on my site which is currently under construction, I have been studying closely on this. You see, I was reading my HTML book, and it told me that the author of a webpage has rights over it. I have also noticed many pokemon websites saying
All content is Copyright to blahblah
My Dad, and a few of my friends disagree here, they say that you have to pay for copyright, so, I ask you other webmasters, is the content that you write copyright to you? Or do you have to pay to get it copyrighted?

My other question is about update scripts, for example, Serebii has the one with a border thing between each update, and stuff like that. I was kind of looking for a news update script a bit like the one TCoD uses, so Dragonfree might be able to help me out a bit there... So, are there any good news updates scipts you'd reccomend, I'd prefer one that would allow me to make an archived News page with the older updates in it. How do think i should do it?

HTML books get me excited when I discover an interesting new fact, I dunno why I'm pointing it out, I got one for my birthday two days ago and i've already read 75 pages of it..

JX

Virtual Headache
9th April 2006, 9:19 PM
Okay, on my site which is currently under construction, I have been studying closely on this. You see, I was reading my HTML book, and it told me that the author of a webpage has rights over it. I have also noticed many pokemon websites saying
My Dad, and a few of my friends disagree here, they say that you have to pay for copyright, so, I ask you other webmasters, is the content that you write copyright to you? Or do you have to pay to get it copyrighted?

I don#t think you've got to pay.
I've seen a lot of people doing this.
However, I'm not sure about that so you'd better wait for another reply^^

My other question is about update scripts, for example, Serebii has the one with a border thing between each update, and stuff like that. I was kind of looking for a news update script a bit like the one TCoD uses, so Dragonfree might be able to help me out a bit there... So, are there any good news updates scipts you'd reccomend, I'd prefer one that would allow me to make an archived News page with the older updates in it. How do think i should do it?
If your host allows PHP I'd recommend Cutenews (http://www.cutephp.com).
It's used by man ypeople and has a good amount of useful features.

Jetx
9th April 2006, 9:21 PM
Okay, thanks. I don't think my host supports PHP though..

blueguy
9th April 2006, 11:45 PM

HTML books get me excited when I discover an interesting new fact, I dunno why I'm pointing it out, I got one for my birthday two days ago and i've already read 75 pages of it..

JX

You do not pay for copyright. You can register a trademark, which costs money, but "copyrighting" something is free of charge. ^_^

AbsoluTotodile
10th April 2006, 2:35 AM
You copywrite is definately free. Or you could leave your fresh new movie script lying around, someone could pick it up and make a movie and you wouldnt be able to do anything about it!
So yeh anything you write belongs to you and is yours.

Jetx
10th April 2006, 10:44 AM
I'll just say it's copyright then...

I'd like a news script that is like a blog, so people can comment on it, and those ones where the person making the blog entry has an avatar. I'd like to be so that it would be put into pages of about 20 entries per page. And people could just go back to the last page of older updates and see them. Yes, I have seen one exactly like what I just described at a place called "Mew's Hangout", but, I dunno how to make that stuff happen. And, obviously, I wouldn't like breloom woods to have pink updates page.

Virtual Headache
10th April 2006, 12:15 PM

I'd like a news script that is like a blog, so people can comment on it, and those ones where the person making the blog entry has an avatar. I'd like to be so that it would be put into pages of about 20 entries per page. And people could just go back to the last page of older updates and see them. Yes, I have seen one exactly like what I just described at a place called "Mew's Hangout", but, I dunno how to make that stuff happen. And, obviously, I wouldn't like breloom woods to have pink updates page.
Well, you can do all that stuff with Cutenews, but since your host doesn't support PHP I don't know any alternatives.
I'd recommend changing host, since you can do a lot more things if your host supports PHP^^

chaos on the internet
12th April 2006, 2:14 AM
Under the Berne copyright convention, which almost all major nations have signed, every creative work is copyrighted the moment it is fixed in tangible form. No notice is necessary, though it helps legal cases. No registration is necessary, though it's needed later to sue. The copyright lasts until 70 years after the author dies. Facts and ideas can't be copyrighted, only expressions of creative effort.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copyright.html

However, to be honest, whatever you write on your page will have little to no commercial value and in the unlikely event that someone steals from you there will be little to no damages and you will get nothing out of a lawsuit. I'm not writing that because your site is new or unpopular or anything like that- if someone was to steal stuff from this site, there would be little to no damages either.

Mega
12th April 2006, 9:44 PM

Freewebs has a blog thing that you can use but it's not that good.

Magma Leader Maxie
13th April 2006, 3:30 PM
I was under the impression that you had to pay something like a $30 "filing fee" to own a certificate stating that ______ is your work.

Dragonfree
13th April 2006, 4:42 PM
I write the HTML for my updates manually. :/ A bit primitive, sure, but it works. In your case, since Freewebs supports no server-side scripting, you really have no other choice. It's not hard to do it manually at all, though.

And content that you write and pictures that you draw are copyrighted to you - hence why at school you can't steal your brother's essay despite that he never paid to have it copyrighted. As blueguy said, you need to pay to trademark something, but not to copyright it.

I think what Magma Leader Maxie is referring to would only be for proof that you really do own it and didn't just steal it from somebody else and put "This is copyrighted" on it.

Jetx
13th April 2006, 10:00 PM
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copyright.html

However, to be honest, whatever you write on your page will have little to no commercial value and in the unlikely event that someone steals from you there will be little to no damages and you will get nothing out of a lawsuit. I'm not writing that because your site is new or unpopular or anything like that- if someone was to steal stuff from this site, there would be little to no damages either.
Yeah, but saying it's copyright can sometimes scare thieves off. Dumb thieves anyway.
I doubt anyone would steal anything from my site, as you said. I doubt it'll get so popular that thieves come, it's not even open yet.

Freewebs has a blog thing that you can use but it's not that good
I'm using that at the moment. But it's hard to make an archive.

I'm unsure though, Dragonfree's method allows easy archiving but no commenting, whereas the blog method allows commenting, but is harder to archive.

JKaizer
17th April 2006, 3:38 AM
Most of the time, the copyright is at the bottom, so thieves won't see it anyways. :p

The above post is © JKaizer 2006-2007

Jetx
17th April 2006, 8:21 AM
Most of the time, the copyright is at the bottom, so thieves won't see it anyways. :p

The above post is © JKaizer 2006-2007
I noticed it. Ah well, I can use the copyright against dumb thieves anyway. :p

EDIT: I'm using dragonfree's method for news. my own personalized news updates, that are easy to archive.