PDA

View Full Version : Is Gardevoir headed in the same direction as Charizard?

PDL
14th April 2006, 12:26 AM
well, not in terms of stats and battling ability, but in terms of overrated-ness?

what do you think? will it become like other "cool-looking" pokemon and attain an embarassing fanbase?

Comis Patronus
14th April 2006, 12:27 AM
I don't really know but Gardevoir does have great stats. I don't know sorry.......

AJ Flibble
14th April 2006, 12:28 AM
Doubt it. It's not draconic. :)

But seriously, it's not that overated from what I can tell. It's more the direction of Alakazam than Charizard, and despite how much I hate Charizard and Alakazam, at least Alakazam isn't overrated.

CyberCubed
14th April 2006, 12:32 AM
No, because Charizard was insanely popular with the 5-10 year olds, especially with both the show (Ash's) and the Trading Card game.

Gardevoir has only been seen in a single episode of the show, the TCG isn't as popular as it used to be, and most 5-10 year olds don't really care about it.

Plus, Charizard was popular when the whole fad of Pokemon was popular, which added to it's overratedness.

[Kingdra]
14th April 2006, 12:32 AM
Gardevoir is underated but they bith have a high Sp. Atk

Phosphate
14th April 2006, 12:33 AM
Gardevoir is not overrated in any way. It is useful and does not have the "cool" image that makes Charizard so overly popular.

Encyclopika
14th April 2006, 12:33 AM
If over rated could mean any sort of over rated, then yeah, I'll have to say yes, as far as "What Pokemon character is the hottest?" threads go. No matter what, there is always a bunch of people saying Gardevior is the hottest Pokemon...and though I agree, that could become a Charozard-like fanbase if it should ever get out of control.
ATM, I wouldn't say it's overrated in any department.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
14th April 2006, 12:41 AM
Doubt it. It's not draconic. :)

Hahaha, that is priceless x) AJ Flibble wins the bloody Thread.

Frankly, he's right, though, humor aside. Gardevoir really doesn't have anything to offer to the little boys of America. The bigger boys, perhaps. But not the young ones, which, although they aren't the only age group interested in Pokémon, do make up a large amount of the fanbase. I'd say Salamence would be more at risk if it was found earlier in the game. With Charizard, you've had time since the beginning of the game to.....er, 'bask in the glory of it,' if you will.

And anyhow, Gardevoir would deserve it. Unlike Charizard, Gardevoir is highly useful in battle and is quite an original idea. Even if it does become the next juggernaut, you can't say it's not justified.

Personally, I'd be more worried about Umbreon, Sneasel, or Absol. And, interestingly enough, they're all Dark Types. If people aren't falling for Dragon Types, they're falling for Dark Types. While Dark Types may be a fair bit more interesting than Dragon Types, I can name a handful of Types that could deserve the attention Dark and Dragon Types get.

I await the day a Dark/Dragon Type comes along :) Because you just know the nubes of Pokémon will flock to it like sheep. Failing that, a Fire/Dragon Type would also draw in the masses. Charizard's only half that formula, and look where it is today.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

AJ Flibble
14th April 2006, 12:44 AM
Yet only a fairly modest amount of people flocked to the Dark/Fire Houndoom. But he rules all, and I'm going off topic. But yeah, everything I've said before still applies obviously. But Gardy is still hot.

Evanji Axu
14th April 2006, 12:48 AM
Eh, not really. Now Absol on the other hand...

Gardevoir is pervbait, but she's cool and a great battler, which is more than can be said for someone...

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
14th April 2006, 1:37 AM
Houndoom didn't get as big of a fan following as I might've expected, really. Just like Charizard, it was Nintendo's outcry for attention, their way of showing us they have the skill to draw in new members while keeping the older fans of the franchise. But that was met with limited success. Why, I can only imagine, but I suppose it all boils down to personal taste, and as AJ Flibble has noted, mammals don't always go over as well as dragons.

But, Houndoom is a great battler. Again, that's why I wouldn't mind it becoming a juggernaut of the Pokémon world. So then, why is it that Charizard, one of the least deserving of all 386, ends up being arguably the most popular Pokémon ever? ._.

Behold, this post has nothing at all to do with Gardevoir. Despite my theories and speculations, it's technically SPAM 8D

asdf tl;dr

Houndoom and Gardevoir both learn Will-o-Wisp, Houndoom beats Gardevoir with Crunch early in the game, both Pokémon have better Special Stats than Physical. SPAM evasion for t3h winz.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Orion-Sama
14th April 2006, 1:57 AM
Gardevoir is pervbait...
Guilty. Yup. And proud of it. So sue me. :p

As for the question... no. I doubt Gardy will become mega-overrated. Plus, as CyberCubed said, she's been *stupidly*shafted in the Anime, when she has oh so much potential. Say, how about Anabel? Why give her a Pokémon she NEVER uses and really doesn't clicks with her? She didn't use Gardy in the games either, but she clicked MUCH more than some random Metagross... :rolleyes:

And then again, she's got the ability to stand out. Not to mention the grace, beauty, hotness and design. All Gardy fans I know of are quite laid-back and open-minded, which is another plus.

So, I doubt it. Unless pervs get on 99% of humanity's nerves, Gardevoir will never attain a fanbase majorly composed of turds that think she's the OMG best Pokémon in existance. She is both a nice and niice Pokémon to admire. ^^

And before I leave... what's with all the "Overrated" Polls all of a sudden? XD

Tabby Catty
14th April 2006, 3:26 AM
I suppose it just seems a little overrated because of the crazed fanboys who want to, make out with one, marry one and you know what I mean. Personally though the overrated pokemon are the Eevee evolutions I mean they are so popular and are attention hogs no offense to Eevee lovers though

Kabuto
14th April 2006, 5:12 AM
Gardevoir isn't over-rated. And even if it was, it is no where close to Charizards popularity.

Chris
14th April 2006, 6:20 AM
Uh, folks tend to seem to be missing some things here. o_O

Lizardon is only overrated because some of the fans are a part of the group that assumed the TCG card was the strongest, therefor making it the "best." Sirknight, however, is mainly a hit with some males who view it as um..bit of a sex object. >_>;

However, Sirknight's mainly also a nice alternative in terms of Psychic-types for battling.

Char1016
14th April 2006, 12:33 PM
I think that Gardevoir is a gerat pokemon, and it has good stats, but in place of it I usually get Alakazam because I don't like pokemons that look like girls.

Flakey J
14th April 2006, 3:41 PM
Gardevoir is the best non-legendary psychic Pokemon in my opinion. I've won almost every Battle Frontier match with her. Also, paired up with my Starmie and Tyranitar, they rock!

Basically, Gardevoir alone wins almost any battle there.

Well, I've never tried with a Charizard, so I won't post my opinion against him.
That's all folks.

Brown Bomber
14th April 2006, 6:16 PM
Charizard is worshipped since it was a godsend of sorts in GSC, and newbies worshipped it since it was powerful in the anime.

Gardevoir is sexy (not in a sexual way, freaks), and is just plain cool. It isn't great in competitive play, and isn't as good as Zam, so it probably won't.

Nylf
14th April 2006, 10:07 PM
I like Gardevoir, for a lot of reasons I like Flygon:

1) You can get them both early in games they're in.
2) Their both really (censored) hard to raise if you do so. Because their pre evos can't take hits well(seriously, I'm lucky to have my XD Kirlia live long enough to sweep) Which makes it oh so much more sweeter to have an in game one in your E4 first spot at a really high level. I mean, you put in all the effort before the E4(cue poet rhyme) and when you've got them the move set and ability, BAM easy win. Ah, it's like chocolate coated in mint.
3) They both look awesome.
4) For some strange reason, I find that Gardevoir, Blaziken and Flygon make the most amazing triple act ever. I don't know why. Hence why those three are usually my big hitting sweepers on my non-desert teams. One for special, one for phys and one for both.

It is one of my top faves ever, after Flygon and before Blaziken, who is followed by Houndoom and Metagross.

Gardevoir will never be overrated, for all the reasons everyone said. I mean, her dubbed voice in the UK was rubbish(way too deep IMO) and if memory serves, she used only one attack in the entire episode (Psychic I think). And she doesn't appeal to the 'younger' fan base as much as Charizard. Though the older fan base, *cough*. Plus she has the moveset to back up the claims of ability.

Though I laugh at her for one detail. She's called the 'Embrace Pokemon', but hugging it front on with those chest spikes must be like being stabbed slowly.

Ebil Plusle
15th April 2006, 1:55 AM
Gardivior is my favorite pyschic pokemon.it helped me Defeat the cipher empire on xd gale of darkness.

Grass Guardian
15th April 2006, 1:57 AM
People seem to get "over-rated" and "very popular" mixed up. Just because a pokemon is popular doesn't mean its automatically over rated.

Charizard was over-rated because his popularity was rated higher then it really, for lack of a better word, deserved. His special move pool was pitiful and no way could he hold his own in a battle with all those rock sliders around and no special attack at his disposal to take them out other then Dragon Claw and some fire attack.

Gardevoir, on the other hand, is getting popular and for good reason too. She's an excellent battler. Her Sp. Att stat puts Charizard to shame by 52 points! Her Sp.Att, at its highest, is 383 Charizard's is 348. Her special defense is also to be admired with its 115 base stat. She, unlike Charizard, has a wide verity of moves at her disposal that she can use to back up that outstanding Sp. Att stat of hers. All the punches, stabbed psychic, and Thunder Bolt come to mind. She can also toxic, calm mind, willow wisp, and use hypnoses/dream eater. Also if the battle is turning for the worst, use destiny bond to take out your foe’s pokemon. If you can get her to Trace Levitate then Earth Quake will no longer affect her in battle. Looking at her move pool and stats, Gardevoir can NEVER be called “over rated” because she actually deserves to be popular.