PDA

View Full Version : Gender on post profile

Auraninja
18th April 2006, 11:36 PM
Sorry, can't think of a better title.

I thought that we should have it to where one's gender would appear on the right when one makes a post. The reason why I think that we should do this is because some people confused other people of being the other gender. Also, I see signatures to where people say that they are a guy or a girl.

I think this is a fair proposal, but if you want to close this, then you can.

Virtual Headache
18th April 2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah, it would be kinda useful (and not that hard to add)^^
I'm all for it :)

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
18th April 2006, 11:39 PM
I'm not so sure about this. Some people can be a bit unfair just because one person is a certain gender. With more than 8,000 people on these forums, there's always going to be someone who's biased. Besides, most people's genders can already be found on their profile.

Fiery Blaziken
18th April 2006, 11:42 PM
I'm not so sure about this. Some people can be a bit unfair just because one person is a certain gender. With more than 8,000 people on these forums, there's always going to be someone who's biased. Besides, most people's genders can already be found on their profile.
You can specify "Undisclosed" as your gender in your porfile. :/

I'm all for it, it'd save time and people would stop getting people's genders mixed up.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
18th April 2006, 11:50 PM
You can specify "Undisclosed" as your gender in your porfile. :/

I'm all for it, it'd save time and people would stop getting people's genders mixed up.
Precisely, which is why I said most put their genders there.

I guess no harm could come from it, and even if it did, the mods would take care of it... I suppose it's all right. It would help, there are a couple of members who I thought were the other gender >_>

Captain Brain
19th April 2006, 12:00 AM
Precisely, which is why I said most put their genders there.

I guess no harm could come from it, and even if it did, the mods would take care of it... I suppose it's all right. It would help, there are a couple of members who I thought were the other gender >_>

I think we should consider the mods feelings on this (more than one), for I'm not sure they want anymore work on their plates.;025;

Virtual Headache
19th April 2006, 12:06 AM
More work?
I don't see how this would cause any problems...

Fiery Blaziken
19th April 2006, 12:09 AM
^ Agreed, it's not going to give mods more work.
Unless this thing spawns a whole burst of gender discrimination/hating with "OMG lawls girls suack!!!!" and "NONNONOno boys suck more!!!!one1"
Which is not likey to happen. >_>

Judai Yuki
19th April 2006, 12:15 AM
That'd be funni but this seems good to me.

Wolf Goddess
19th April 2006, 12:39 AM
I think that this is a good idea. It's not like puttering the letters F or M under the location will take up much bandwidth.

blueguy
19th April 2006, 1:01 AM
This is a good and simple idea which would positively benefit just about everyone. I'm sure most have at one time accidentally called a girl "he" or a boy "she" based on their manner of posting etc. ;) Of course, with my name, people aren't easily confused, but yeah... XD

Locke Yggdrasill
19th April 2006, 1:04 AM
It's not like puttering the letters F or M under the location will take up much bandwidth.
I dunno. F/M...8,000 active members...Might ammount to 100 kb! GOD FORBID 100KB! :P
I think this would be a gewd idea. The sexism thing won't likely happen.

RaZoR LeAf
19th April 2006, 1:15 AM
A male or female symbol would be better rather than an F or M. Since the symbols are universal no matter what language you speak.

Mimori Kiryu
19th April 2006, 1:17 AM
^Yeah, I agree with RL. This was suggested a while back, I don't remember who did, but everyone called it unnecessary then. Wonder what's change....:<

Valkyrie X
19th April 2006, 1:21 AM
I'm all for it. I don't want anybody mistaking me for a guy, which still happens sometimes. D:

Yeah, this is a pretty good idea; it'll benefit most everyone, I think, and it shouldn't take up too much bandwidth. =/

;381;ZR;380;

Atari
19th April 2006, 1:34 AM
I'm not against it or anything: Having the M & F symbols next to your name would be awsome. But if people want to shout out to the world what gender thay are, why don't they just put in their signatures "I am a male/female". That would be much simpler than adding another picture to everyone's posts and increase bandwidth (quoting Zennou Ryuu).

Wolf Goddess
19th April 2006, 1:47 AM
A male or female symbol would be better rather than an F or M. Since the symbols are universal no matter what language you speak.

True. Though you should know how to speak English if you're registered here, anyway.

Valkyrie X
19th April 2006, 1:51 AM
I'm not against it or anything: Having the M & F symbols next to your name would be awsome. But if people want to shout out to the world what gender thay are, why don't they just put in their signatures "I am a male/female". That would be much simpler than adding another picture to everyone's posts and increase bandwidth (quoting Zennou Ryuu).
But many people (including me) don't want to be forced to put something in their signatures that they don't even really want in there, just for the sake of not being mistaken for the opposite gender. =/ Having a simple M or F, or, as RaZoR LeAf suggested, one of the masculine or feminine symbols appear near the post isn't going to take up much bandwidth, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. ;/

;381;ZR;380;

Kamex
19th April 2006, 2:01 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. It should solve many problems, and I don't believe it'll cause any.

Dunsparce
19th April 2006, 2:04 AM
Yeah! It would really help me alot... For... things :X

RaZoR LeAf
19th April 2006, 2:18 AM
Bandwidth is hardly an excuse for not putting them in. Nor is the necessity of them. If either of those arguments are sued for not adding them, then all we need point out are the rank pictures. 25 plus of those, compared to 2 gender symbols.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
19th April 2006, 3:00 AM
Is there even an option for this? Where's an Admin when you need one...

I still think members should have the right to not display their gender if they don't want to. Some people may want it private.

Fiery Blaziken
19th April 2006, 3:03 AM

I still think members should have the right to not display their gender if they don't want to. Some people may want it private.
I don't what you're saying, tbh. If you don't want your gender to be known, then select "Undisclosed". If you don't want gender icons on your posts, people can just look in your profile. Kinda pointless imo.

Virtual Headache
19th April 2006, 3:12 AM

An option for what?
Like Fiery Blaziken already said, you could just select "Undisclosed" which would also prevent your gender from showing up in your posts.

Pokefan26
19th April 2006, 3:39 AM
I think it is useful. Almost everyone thinks I'm a boy. Then when they find out I'm a girl, they're like, "Woah, wait. You're a girl ?".

So, I fully support this.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~
19th April 2006, 3:45 AM
An option for what?
Like Fiery Blaziken already said, you could just select "Undisclosed" which would also prevent your gender from showing up in your posts.
Sorry if I caused any confusion, I meant an option for showing the male/female symbols or whatever in the posts.

indigestible_wad
19th April 2006, 5:59 AM
I remember the argument last time was that one person wanter to have the male female option, but didn't want it showing up next to his/her name. Personally I don't get why not. I'm all for it though.

Mega Trickster
19th April 2006, 6:02 AM
O_O
This must happen. It would make me feel so much better. I keep having people mistake me for a guy.

Fatal
19th April 2006, 6:51 AM
Sorry, can't think of a better title.

I thought that we should have it to where one's gender would appear on the right when one makes a post. The reason why I think that we should do this is because some people confused other people of being the other gender. Also, I see signatures to where people say that they are a guy or a girl.

I think this is a fair proposal, but if you want to close this, then you can.

We don't need to install a hack for people that are too lazy to click "view my profile" and observe one's gender. Not really all that hard to do. Takes about 6 seconds. :(

Besides, "Joe" and "hacks" don't even go in the same sentence. D:

-Fatal

MetalMario
19th April 2006, 7:02 AM
It couldn't be that difficult, considering nearly every other forum has it. Plain text is better than images, since images, in this case, would just unnecessarily slow page load times and eat away at Joe's bandwidth. Just stick them right below the Location: tags in the post headers.

That's all.

Fox
19th April 2006, 11:19 AM
after some time looking around I see no built-in way of adding them. The only way is via a hack or putting them in your User Name, User Title, or Location.

alt + 11 = ♂
alt + 12 = ♀

Personally, I see this as something that's not needed, but convenient. Afterall, you could just look at the user's profile >> There's no reason not to look at the profile really unless you're on dial-up.

Fiery Blaziken
19th April 2006, 6:48 PM
Unless the phares "doesn't like" is between them. "Joe doesn't like hacks." :P

A blue/pink ♂ /♀ would be fine imo. People on dialup wouldn't have to wait to go to their profile to check thier gender. And if the colors would take up too much bandwidth, which Joe will probably say it will, then the simple default white color of the profile font is fine with me.

Virtual Headache
19th April 2006, 7:19 PM
It's not a hack, it's a template modification.
It doesn't even get near the vB source code...

Fiery Blaziken
19th April 2006, 7:40 PM
It's not a hack, it's a template modification.
It doesn't even get near the vB source code...
I don't think Joe likes templates moddifcations either... >_>

Hey, I just thought of something: Wouldn't adding the gender symbols use less bandwidth than having more people view profiles?

Bulk
19th April 2006, 8:06 PM
Well, I've never really been mistaken for a girl but I can see this would help certain memebers (ShiningClefairy, who is constantly being mistaken for a girl) so just a simply symbol would be very useful.

I'm all for this.

The Benmeister
19th April 2006, 8:34 PM
after some time looking around I see no built-in way of adding them. The only way is via a hack or putting them in your User Name, User Title, or Location.

alt + 11 = ♂
alt + 12 = ♀

Personally, I see this as something that's not needed, but convenient. Afterall, you could just look at the user's profile >> There's no reason not to look at the profile really unless you're on dial-up.

Aah, but the same could have been said for post count, yet now we have banners. And if you ask me, gender is more important than post count anyway.

I personally would like this idea. Not that I get any problems with it of course (my username sorts that out for me), but it would help me (and others) distinguish other people from male and female.

Auraninja
20th April 2006, 12:17 AM
We don't need to install a hack for people that are too lazy to click "view my profile" and observe one's gender. Not really all that hard to do. Takes about 6 seconds. :(

-Fatal

True, it isn't hard to look at profiles, but at times, it would be too much of a hassle. For example, if I wanted to talk about a person in third-person, I don't want to go to a profile just to see if I want to use he or she. Also, people on these forums in the past were called the opposite gender because they wouldn't have quick excess to their profile (by quick, I mean really quick). It wouldn't really be for laziness. If we have the genders at hand, we can learn to recognize people for the gender they are rather than have to go and look at the profile to refer to it. It would also be true that it takes merely six seconds, but I wouldn't want to go through everyone's profile for one tiny bit of information. That, wouldn't take six seconds to do.

As for how much data is needed for this, I wouldn't thank it would take a whole lot. At the very least, we could have an M, an F, and a U. Judging by how little this really is, it shouldn't take very much data, even for the many people on these forums. For the rest of it, I'll leave this under the jurisdiction to the people who would exactly know how to do this.

A third factor is flaming/harassment. I don't think this is much of a problem at all because we don't have a whole lot of sexists here. If, and there shouldn't even be much at these forums, someone gets sexual harrased, they can put that person on their ignore list and ask a mod or admin to ban them.

Overall, I think having it is a good idea.

Phosphate
20th April 2006, 12:37 AM
Well, bandwidth might be used for this idea, but it will be useful. However, it is not needed since gender is in our profiles. But, maybe a special signature banner would be helpful? But, it will take time for Serebii and the other Administrators to install, and it is un-needed, so I doubt that this will go through.

Wolf Goddess
20th April 2006, 1:10 AM
Hey, I just thought of something: Wouldn't adding the gender symbols use less bandwidth than having more people view profiles?

I'd think so, as then you're not re-loading extra pictures.

I don't think it'd take that long to implement; it's a simple modification, not a new forum layout. :S

Virtual Headache
20th April 2006, 1:40 AM
I don't think Joe likes templates moddifcations either... >_>

Well, we've already got some of them here, so it shouldn't be a problem.
*looks at post count which doesn't show up in posts*

But, it will take time for Serebii and the other Administrators to install, and it is un-needed, so I doubt that this will go through.
It only takes ashort time to insall.
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168741
Only copy the code and exchange the number...

Phosphate
20th April 2006, 1:45 AM
Sorry if this is advertising, but look here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65463&goto=lastpost?70387d90). This site has gender, post count, and other items inder the user's location. Maybe, we can do something similar to what they are doing?

Virtual Headache
20th April 2006, 1:47 AM
Sorry if this is advertising, but look here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65463&goto=lastpost?70387d90). This site has gender, post count, and other items inder the user's location. Maybe, we can do something similar to what they are doing?
That's actually what this thread is about, adding the gender to the post view like that...

Phosphate
20th April 2006, 1:50 AM
I know, but just wanted to point out how PC did it...

Volteon
20th April 2006, 1:52 AM
Great idea!

It seems easy and fast to install. We just need Joe´s OK!

Fiery Blaziken
20th April 2006, 2:02 AM
Btw, they have all the IM links on there, but on SPPf, Skype doesn't show in the postbit and in the profile, it's all text, not the Skype "S" image. Perhaps Joe can put Skypes on posts and use the actual "S" icon instead of text.

Auraninja
20th April 2006, 2:36 AM
Actually, this is the thread that made me think of it.

Boy or Girl? (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=114914)

As you can see, many people here have been thought to be the opposite gender.

Captain Brain
20th April 2006, 7:14 AM
I want an administrator's or Serebii's approval before I do this.

P.S. I know the little banner at the far up right states that you work for this site, but I do not know what banner means what rank of mod can some post explaining that. ;025;

Zerodius
20th April 2006, 7:50 AM
Am I the only one against the idea?

I mean... COME ON! This is the internet! Gender is NOT important as we can, well, fake out any gender, any time. One day male, one day female. Is there a way to make the difference? No! Does it even matter? Heck no!

Since gender on the internet is well, a big joke, I just don't understand why people get offended by the so-called gender swapping "issues".

A very pointless feature being added in a time where bandwith is lacking = the stupid.

Sorry if I am blunt but well... that's all.

NOTE: Hey! I have news for you, people! Many "girls" who are offended that people confuse them for guys really are guys!... just like many "guys" who get offended that people confuse them for girls really are girls!

What was the goal of this comment? Well... just to show how the gender issue is artificial and well, just overall not worth it.

RaZoR LeAf
20th April 2006, 12:15 PM
Am I the only one against the idea?

I mean... COME ON! This is the internet! Gender is NOT important as we can, well, fake out any gender, any time. One day male, one day female. Is there a way to make the difference? No! Does it even matter? Heck no!

Since gender on the internet is well, a big joke, I just don't understand why people get offended by the so-called gender swapping "issues".

A very pointless feature being added in a time where bandwith is lacking = the stupid.

Sorry if I am blunt but well... that's all.

NOTE: Hey! I have news for you, people! Many "girls" who are offended that people confuse them for guys really are guys!... just like many "guys" who get offended that people confuse them for girls really are girls!

What was the goal of this comment? Well... just to show how the gender issue is artificial and well, just overall not worth it.

This very pointless feature is only as pointless as Avatars and rank banners. Heck, we could go without images in sigs too, they are pointless, you can advertise just as well with text. The point is that people want to be referred to in the right gender when someone is talking about them. It's exactly the same as having locations show up in posts. I think knowing where someone comes from is more trivial than their gender.

And it's already been said that it would not cause a bandwidth problem.

Fiery Blaziken
20th April 2006, 6:09 PM
Guy
In
Real
Life
:P
Seriously, who cares, will it affect you that badly if we put it on? It'll take like 2 seconds to install, and it might even save bandwidth.

I want an administrator's or Serebii's approval before I do this.
Do what? :/

Magma Leader Maxie
20th April 2006, 8:13 PM
Just to say that a feature like this would be nice, since it would actually SAVE bandwidth. And here's how: if you want to check someone's gender, you have to open the profile.php page. That's like...what... a whole 27kB??? And how large could a 13x13 gif image next to a name be? 300 bytes, maybe? Multiplied by Posts per page for the average user (20-defualt) comes to something less than 6 kB per page. Oh, and images are stored temporarily on people's comps when they're loaded. Useful and with low bandwidth usage.

A better idea than the rank images, as far as I'm concerned.

Levski
20th April 2006, 8:50 PM
This really is a good idea and doing so will not only save space, but also prevent confusion.

Fatal
20th April 2006, 9:43 PM
This really is a good idea and doing so will not only save space, but also prevent confusion.

It won't save space at all. It's an addition, therefore it will take away space.

I still say it's unneeded. Just click the person in question's avatar and skim their profile if you need to know their gender. -.-

-Fatal

Koubagia
20th April 2006, 9:54 PM
I think this'd be useful, I hate it when people refer to me as 'he/she'. It's a minor addition that would improve the ease of use of the forum, and you could always set your gender to undisclosed if you're worried.

Neopolis
20th April 2006, 10:44 PM
How can we have rank pics, but not gender icons? We could just... Put a ♀ or ♂ next to them or something.

Fiery Blaziken
20th April 2006, 11:46 PM
It won't save space at all. It's an addition, therefore it will take away space.

I still say it's unneeded. Just click the person in question's avatar and skim their profile if you need to know their gender. -.-

-Fatal
It might save space because instead of loading an entire page up to check genders , you only have to add a couple kb's to the page.

Btw Joe the Skype images don't work in profiles.

RaZoR LeAf
21st April 2006, 12:56 AM
You know opening profiles means loading Profile pictures. Now there's a hell of a lot of individual profile pics to load every time someone wants to check a gender

darkgamerGS
21st April 2006, 4:29 AM
So uh... if mods are saying it's useful, why hasn't there been anything done about it? I mean... if you want your gender revealed, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal... and if you don't, then leave your gender as undisclosed. Or just make guy usernames blue and girl usernames pink... or whatever. It's annoying when people think someone's the gender they aren't, especially when they gotta keep repeating themselves. And I'd look in profile for gender, but... damn dial-up. XP

RaZoR LeAf
21st April 2006, 12:54 PM
So uh... if mods are saying it's useful, why hasn't there been anything done about it? I mean... if you want your gender revealed, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal... and if you don't, then leave your gender as undisclosed. Or just make guy usernames blue and girl usernames pink... or whatever. It's annoying when people think someone's the gender they aren't, especially when they gotta keep repeating themselves. And I'd look in profile for gender, but... damn dial-up. XP

Because uh.. SEREBII has to do it!! What with him being the creator and over all boss of the forums, the mods (who can't edit the forums ANYWAY) and admins (who can, but don't do big things without permission) aren't going to start doing things without his say. Please, learn the differences between Mod and Head Admin/Founder. Coloured usernames wouldn't work. Too many styles for them to be screwed up on.

killerjaw01
21st April 2006, 7:37 PM

Yeah, because we all want to open up each other's profile.

i think the gender sign is a good idea, I don't see the problem with it.

Jetx
21st April 2006, 10:42 PM
it would be useful, i get embarresed alot as often mistake girls for guys... So I suggest adding it.

eevee-me
22nd April 2006, 10:33 PM
could be i guess i meen i challange you to guess my gender without checking my profile go on honestly

Shadow_Fox
23rd April 2006, 12:25 AM
Its a good idea, and even if one did not want to use it they wouldnt have to.

@eevee-me; Maybe its easy to tell what gender you are with your sig and display picture and such, but it would be rather difficult to guess wether I am male or female without such a... Not sure what to call it, option I suppose. Display?
~

Fangirl
11th May 2006, 8:59 AM
I like this idea. Just by reading through this thread I've found that I've been mistaken in gender when it came to almost every person in this thread I even VAGUELY recognize.

Gender isn't always clear and even in forums I visit with obsessive regularity (i.e.: Fizzy Bubbles), I experience gender confusion often, and it's not just me who mistakes genders but people confuse me for a guy constantly. It gets frustrating and awkward to have to explain your gender to people. I don't see why this can't be implicated...