PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Yellow is good?

~Austin~
21st April 2006, 12:36 AM
Well do ya? Im thinking about going to EB Games today and buying Yellow Version. So I just want some tips if the game is good or not.

blueguy
21st April 2006, 2:17 AM
Well, I've never played it, but I do understand some of its features. Basically, it's the same as Red and Blue except you begin with Pikachu and your rival with Eevee. Throughout the game you are able to collect all three original starters. All of the battle sprites have been revamped. You get to fight Jessie and James a few times. That's really all that's different. As I said before, it's basically the same. :S

emeraldellie
21st April 2006, 2:23 AM
Eh, it's okay. You get all three atarters, but you have to start with a crummy Pikachu that you can't even evolve, and what's worse is you can't even catch any other Pikachu in the game so you have to trade for one to evolve. It doesn't have Missingno., but it does have the Mew glitch, so you have the ability to get any Pokemon at level 7. It's got the Surfing Pikachu game if you have a Pikachu with Surf, better graphics, and a unique blend of anime and games. I personally didn't like it too much, but anime fans will.

Aptenodytes
21st April 2006, 2:53 AM
I like it so that I have Pikachu following me, and I get the three starters. Yup, that's about it :p.

Vampiric Knight
21st April 2006, 3:38 AM
ALL THREE STARTERS. That's the only thing good about it. It's also the only reason why I bought it in the first place.

.Person.
21st April 2006, 3:41 AM
Why yellos. It's not that good. The only good thing is that you see pikachu. I've hade it. It's crummy. Anyways.. My friend went to EB for an X-box game... The case said X-box and hade a PS2 game..

Dragon_Reborn
21st April 2006, 4:17 AM
I thought Yellow Version was good.You get a Pikachu that follows you around if u have it in your party.You also can get all 3 starters.It should be pretty cheap now to buy anyways.

Cipher
21st April 2006, 5:10 AM
Yellow, in addition to its anime tie-ins, did to Red and Blue what Emerald did to Ruby and Sapphire: upped the difficulty. The gym leader's are toting different teams in Yellow, and they actually pose a challenge, which I think is one of the game's biggest hooks.

AJ Flibble
21st April 2006, 1:00 PM
Yellow E4 = Ouch pain. Except for Gary: he's easier. Some parts are fairer, but others are darn cheap. Everything looks better too. Get it if you want, if only so you can evolve Pokemon by trading (Machoke, Kadabra, Graveler, Haunter).

-=Darkness of Umbreon=-
21st April 2006, 3:13 PM
I say go ahead, because you can do more In this than R or B. Yet this is also the only game with a pokemon walking with you.

MageusBlack
21st April 2006, 5:42 PM
In my opinion, Yellow version was made for the anime fans who wanted their game to have a closer relation to the anime. Otherwise it wasn't that much different compared to Red and Blue. It's got some better features (getting all three starters, slightly more difficult) but I don't think it's a good investment if you've already got both Red and Blue, since it's just both of them all over again.

killerjaw01
21st April 2006, 7:22 PM
It was ok, but if you have R/B there's no point

Aptenodytes
21st April 2006, 7:49 PM
Oh wait, I forgot about surfing Pikachu >> That's pretty fun when you're really bored I guess.

Gazmof
21st April 2006, 8:17 PM
I really don't understand the Yellow hatred in SPP. It's the same, only with more of it. What's not to like? Get it if it's cheap (which it should be).

~Austin~
21st April 2006, 8:23 PM
Well they didnt have it..... thankyou guys!

pugman3000
21st April 2006, 9:42 PM
Yellow is the reason I'm a pokemon fan today. It was the first one I played, and it's still one of my favorites to this day.

Charizard86
21st April 2006, 10:58 PM
With the upped difficulty, the ability to get all 3 starters & the anime links in it, the game is quite appealing to both fans of the anime and fans of pokemon red/blue who want more of a challenge. If you can get it for a few quid I say go for it.

The Organizer
22nd April 2006, 2:51 AM
DONT GET IT!!! ITS LAME AND IT HAS NO MISSINGNO AND GLITCHES :( I cant glitch in it, plus brock is hard to beat at the beggining.

SabrE
22nd April 2006, 10:21 AM
DONT GET IT!!! ITS LAME AND IT HAS NO MISSINGNO AND GLITCHES :( I cant glitch in it, plus brock is hard to beat at the beggining. Are glitches all you care about or something? :S Glitches are the things that are lame. But I must admit, I did use the Mew glitch. :p

But anyway, it would depend if you wanted to get all the starters etc, then go for it. :)

Latios97
22nd April 2006, 5:59 PM
dont get it brock is so hard I have had it 1 year and still cant do it.......

killerjaw01
22nd April 2006, 6:55 PM
Catch a Nidoran and train it till it learns Double Kick, that'll help you beat Brock

Mighty
22nd April 2006, 7:45 PM
I laugh at people who moan that they can't complete Yellow...it was the first Pokémon game I played when I got it and I found it fine. I'm 17 now...so I don't know how old I was when I played it back then. But it was fine for me.

Tiffany
23rd April 2006, 7:44 PM
The only things I thought that was cool about it is that you get all 3 starters and its anime-linked. It's not that different compared to R/B (but it has updated graphics and stuff). But if you can get it for a cheap price (most likely you can.. I bought mine for like 10 bucks from Amazon), I say get it.

pugman3000
26th April 2006, 1:50 AM

Catch a Caterpie, evolve it into Butterfree, and teach it Confusion and that will beat Brock easy.

blaze boy
26th April 2006, 3:39 PM
don't forget IT is the only game that allow you to get a Machamp with out R/B/G.

[Kingdra]
26th April 2006, 5:19 PM
dont get it brock is so hard I have had it 1 year and still cant do it.......Catch a Mankey and ferociously beat up Brock

--C4--
26th April 2006, 6:09 PM
Brock is easy to counter as the other user said get a Nidoran (male)

*$hinydragonite*
26th April 2006, 7:07 PM
It's hard at first, but it gets easier since you get the 3 starters. But to get rid of brock, I used low kick from Mankey, since all of his pokemon are heavy weights. And nobody seems to remember all of the funny pikachu faces (fishing; happiness)/movements (jump off a ledge with Pika still on top). Those were and are a lot of fun.

AJ Flibble
26th April 2006, 8:53 PM
Training an alternative Pokemon to beat Brock is one of the best bits in Yellow: it encourages catching other Pokemon, most of which may be good additions to your team upon evolution.

muckers
26th April 2006, 9:00 PM

We shouldn't get it because you're rubbish at Pokemon...? :p

I think if you can get it, get it. So it doesn't have as many glitches - big whoop. It's R/B and more (as has already been said). You can get all three starters in it, too, which is a plus for your team.

Of course, if you already have Red or Blue (or both!) then there's probably not much point at all unless you're a hardcore fan of the days gone by.

I know I'd buy Yellow if I could - I remember when I first got it and played it through.

Either buy it if you don't have R/B or buy it for your childhood memories! :D

Someone
27th April 2006, 8:56 PM
I always thought Yellow Version kinda sucked since you had to lug around that little selfish yellow rat.The thing is so freakin ignorant. >.> I kinda stored it in the computer after I was finished taking care of Misty's Pokes and winning her badge. I know only once I kept it with me until I got it to level 100.

Ninetails
28th April 2006, 7:00 AM
I just bought it again tonite. :D I loved this game and after browsing this message board for a while I ached for nostalgia.

I say go ahead and get it! The trainers' Pokémon may be stronger in it but it's worth the training.

- Ninetails. ;038;

Edit: Forgot my nametag.

Jedi Flygon
29th April 2006, 2:32 AM
Well, as eeryone said, I don't know. If youreally like it, its your choice you know. If you want to, go for it. If you don't, thats ok.

yuyuhakushofan
29th April 2006, 11:48 PM
yes, end of story!

Prof. 9
2nd May 2006, 10:34 AM
Yellow's really fun.

Pikachu walks behind you. You can talk to him and see how he feels!
Example 1: When you win a battle, Pikachu will be happy
Example 2: When you lose a battle, Pikachu will be angry

I found out you can also let Pikachu dance! Jump off a ledge but let Pikachu up there, DON'T MOVE and wait for 15 seconds! It's really fun!

If you trade Pikachu to PKMN Stadium 1, he can learn surf (I don't know how to let him do this). If you trade him back when he has learned surf, you can play a Surfing Pikachu Mini-Game in a house south of fuchsia city!

That's all i know.

pharaohguy530
2nd May 2006, 7:08 PM
Yes. It is awesome.
Pikachu and the 3 starters.
Better looking sprites.
Plus, the legends were easier to capture.

Trooper Guy
2nd May 2006, 7:21 PM
Yes, i think pokemon yellow is the best pokemon game of it's time, imo.

I mean, aside from unavoidable faults, what's not to like? Pikachu following you, good looking sprites, great battles, Loads of pokemon to catch and only a few to trade, pokemon sprites looking less like freaks and fighting Jesse and James. That game is awesome. Oh yeah and obtaining the three starters in one game.

Prof. 9
3rd May 2006, 9:46 AM
Yeah, fighting Jessie and James is also very cool, cuz i HATE Team Rocket. Team Magma is lots better (Ruby! Ruby! Ruby! Yeah!)!

Hoshi no Kabii
20th May 2006, 1:28 PM
I just found my Yellow 2 days ago :)

No. I do not think it is good. I think it is awesome!
You get to fight Team Rocket with a pikachu that you can talk to. How cool is that?! It uppeds the difficulty. E4=major toughness. Its the hardest of all the games, IMO.

~*Pikafan*~
20th May 2006, 2:07 PM
Yellow is good! It's the best of R/B/Y!

Staryu
20th May 2006, 6:12 PM
No. I definatly prefrer red/blue over it. Even though I did have yellow, I found Pikachu as a starter a rip off. >>

Fallen Guardian
20th May 2006, 6:21 PM
Uh, nothing in the game says you have to use Pikachu, that's a choice.

It's ok, not as good as the upgrades made in the more recent games but if you follow the Pokemon TV show then you'll enjoy it.

Staryu
20th May 2006, 6:27 PM
I know you don't HAVE to, and I didn't after level 30. I'm just saying it always helps to have a good starter Pokémon. I've always used mine, and everyone I know has, too.

woot21
20th May 2006, 7:45 PM
Yellow is so much fun, also it's the only version from the old days I can play honestly. I'm glad there isn't Missingno., I'm not tempted to copy all my items, i.e. ice beam, earthquake, and thunderbolt t.m.s, or masterballs. Also it is fun to nooberize Jessie and James, I think Nintendo should make a game like Yellow that goes through all four regions. (More detailed info. in future Pokemon ideas thread.) My teams always end something like Pikachu Charizard, Blastosie, Venasaur, and two random Pokes. Sometimes Snorlax, then other times Gravler/Golem. The game is great, the lack of glitches causing you to play fairly makes it funner. Don't get me wrong I love Missingno. and the glitches, finding level 174 Wartotrles in my Red is always fun, but they can ruin the experince of those looking to play through and reach level 100 honestly.

EmbersBackUpSinger
20th May 2006, 7:48 PM
Its good! You get all 3 starters (Kanto) And its in color. Unlike R&B

Staryu
20th May 2006, 8:22 PM
I do like how you can get all the starters, and trade them so that you can try & fill up your pokedex =D

hydradragon16
21st May 2006, 5:43 AM
I haven't played in over 3 years due to the fact somebody stoled it . Its a great game you can get all the starters and pikachu , in game Machamp that you trade for . The only problem I had with was pikachu not being able to evolve and fighting brock . I had to go and raise a Pidgeaoto to level 18 before I finally beat him too bad I forget that I could could just capture a nidoran and raise it to learn double kick. Plus most of the pokemon I used for stadium came from them.

silverdragon
25th May 2006, 8:19 AM
its ok but the only thing i hate is not evolving pikachu

Liam-Kun
25th May 2006, 5:57 PM
I don't think yellow is good, because I hate pikachu :p

Twilit Dragoon
25th May 2006, 6:03 PM
Yellow is the best game out of RBGY series.

Mistynia
25th May 2006, 9:00 PM
Well, I only have Yellow, and I'm pleased with that. It's only a bit annoying that Pikachu follows you every time. But, it's funny that Jessie, James and Meowth show up.

Charizard_Fire_God
26th May 2006, 2:06 PM
In terms of what ya can catch, game length, tch, an' colors, Yellow is best of the 1st series.

Pokemon4Ever
27th May 2006, 12:35 AM
I thought it was ok, but the gym leaders were way too hard. I like Red and Blue more in some ways.

Herb Master
30th May 2006, 4:39 AM
I don't like any game where if you evolve a pokemon, you already loose.

BasiltheDragon
2nd June 2006, 10:42 PM
I do notlike Yellow. It has Pikachu and it's not as easy to glitch the game up with MissingNo.

Aquarelle
3rd June 2006, 2:40 AM
I don't like any game where if you evolve a pokemon, you already loose.

WHAT?

Apart from having Pikachu as a starter that could never evolve, I liked yellow. I own LG/FR, but not Red or blue, so i never played through the whole story on the original games. Yellow had harder gym leaders, all three starters, and no Missigno. (That's a GOOD thing IMO, as it prevents you from cheating and destroying your game)

Yellow has better sprites, as the R/B ones were really screwed up, and the green ones... those were freakin' scary!

I think yellow is better than Red and blue, and the only reason why I would ever consider purchasing another copy of the first two, (Since i lost my red a loooooooooooooooooong time ago) would be to experiment with all the glitches in the game.

jirachiken
11th June 2006, 2:47 AM
I like it! You finally get a pokemon that walks around with you, and you get all the starters, which is good. Too bad Pika couldn't evolve (dang it!).

~Bent~
11th June 2006, 6:15 AM
Red/Blue: AWESOME opening movie
Yellow: Nope

Red/Blue: glitchy
Yellow: fixed ONE glitch

Red/Blue: Can be played in B/W for nostalgic purposes
Yellow: Can't; incidentally, Yellow's color is hardly worth it

Red/Blue: Useful starters
Yellow: Not until Cerulean

Red/Blue: Okay title screen
Yellow: PIKA!!!!1

Red/Blue: No way to get Kinesis on Zam
Yellow: Can get it, but it's not a good attack anyway

...See my point?

Golde
11th June 2006, 6:39 AM
heck yeah, compared to R/B. It was a pokemon revolution.

Oathkeeper
11th June 2006, 7:40 AM
Yes, it's good. I liked it about as much as R/B.
It is a tad bit harder, most of the sprites are greatly cleaned up (from the front anyway), Pokemon learn moves that they couldn't in R/B, and you get some color.
I wouldn't go nearly as far as saying it was a "revolution", even compared to R/B. That would be G/S easy. It was a whole new world with a million new features.
~Bent~ also makes a good point about the opening and title screens. Personally, I don't think any Pokemon game has outdone R/B's title screen yet. G/S came close...but being able to see and hear all the Pokemon at the title screen was just plain cool. Even if it lacked color and flashy legendaries.

Pokemon4Ever
11th June 2006, 7:45 AM
It is much harder than Red and Blue. If you want a challenge, get it. If you don't, then don't buy it. I don't like it too much, but it's a good game other than gym leaders so it may be worth a try.

[AceAussie]
11th June 2006, 1:56 PM
i think yellow is much better then red/blue some good points are

it's more anime focused
it has better graphics
not just one colour
pikachu actually says it's name..
mini games.
all the starters

and thats it

Cloudragon
11th June 2006, 9:20 PM
Did you know that Pokémon Yellow is in Guinnes Record Book as the quickest selled game! ^^ I don`t know the amount that was selled or the time it was selled in...but it`s fun to know about this :)

coolcobra77
15th June 2006, 1:32 AM
I think its cool....and it gave me some time to atone for my Pokemon sins
(I regret in Red/Blue id usually glitch Rare Candies to get all my pokemon lvl 100!)

So im trying to get Pokemon 1-151 (Thank god I still got a Mew in my crystal version from when i had monster brain.*R/B/Y Version*... only created 1 Mew I still have no clue why only 1...)

but its cool you dont have to hunt for Pikachu like a maniac!
Brock is not hard... Just gotta take a Detour on route 9 by Viridian city to pick up a Mankey and a Nidoran (male or female) then train for double kick

and Brock gets P'wned!

Angelic Elf Ivy
15th June 2006, 4:46 AM
It's an ok game. Some of the sprites are better than the ones in b/r/g, but it's not THAT much different. So yeah, ok game.

squirrel boy
2nd July 2006, 5:04 AM
Brock is easy! it took me about 10 tries.

Rufinito18
2nd July 2006, 5:36 AM
I started a game on my friend's game long time ago. I really liked Pikachu. I should play it again :)

Silver Dragonair
2nd July 2006, 6:53 AM
I hate that in the other games the gym leaders werent as strong

Poke'Blaze
2nd July 2006, 6:58 AM
It's better than Red and Blue because it's like the show, Jesse, James,loyal Pikachu, stuff like that.

Champion Shade
2nd July 2006, 7:23 AM
I love how it shows Jessie and James. That was my favorite part.

GrassForStarter
2nd July 2006, 5:33 PM
I like Jesse and James only because the fact that you've got more trainers to gain experience from.
Brock is quite easy if you train a Caterpie to a Butterfree and kill off his Low- Special Defence Pokémon.
I like the new grahics, but nostalgic as I am, I still like Red/Blue better than Yellow. It's too much focused around Pikachu, him following you around, him not wanting to evolve, him hiving you difficulties all the time in battles (the fact that he's a bad electric type).
If you want all starters, then go ahead. I got mine from friends who bred them in Gold/Silver. If you only want a Pikachu then you can find it in the Viridian Forest in Red/Blue (that's what I use to do, but I usually ditch it for other Pokémon later in the game).
I would not buy it.

J.D.
2nd July 2006, 6:53 PM
I like it for the extra challenge, as the Gym Leaders/Elite Four/Champion have more difficult Pokemon that you can't just take down in one turn in some cases, especially when you get to Gary's Level 65 starter. Still, though, when you go back to fight them again and again for experience it is easier to achieve Level 100 with your Pokemon.

Eternity Absol
2nd July 2006, 8:38 PM
If you're going to get one of the color games, then you should definitely get Yellow Version! ^_^ It's really fun, and Pikachu follows you around everywhere! <3

Kyrix
3rd July 2006, 2:36 AM
I don't know if anyone said this but yellow's pikachu always holds the light ball if you trade it to g/s/c or use it on stadium 2

Silver Dragonair
3rd July 2006, 2:45 AM
light ball was in GSC??

Strange i didnt find out about it until third gen

squirrel boy
3rd July 2006, 4:03 PM
light ball was in GSC??

Strange i didnt find out about it until third gen

same with me

Kyrix
3rd July 2006, 6:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it is cause whenever I play stadium 2 with my yellow it always said pikachu was holding a light ball. Is this a glitch!!!!!!!!

Hazzer
3rd July 2006, 6:41 PM
Yes
Because its the sort of game that you can mess around with and start new games on it.also it has glitches witch are fun to play around with and try to find out new ones.

Rufinito18
4th July 2006, 2:03 AM
a kid at the camp where I work brouhgt his game, and It brought back so many memories

Pikachu1125
9th July 2006, 9:46 AM
It's worth for Pikachu's expressions :D.

Pikachu
15th July 2006, 12:47 AM
I think the Yellow Version is great, just as good the Blue version. I like starting with Pikachu and getting all 3 starters in one game without Staduim/trading.

Chaotic Houndoom
15th July 2006, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I liked it because it was different, because how pikachu was able to follow you around, I wish you could of had your own pokemon that did that.

2Percent Miltank
15th July 2006, 3:17 AM
I seriously loved that game. o_o It was the first Pokemon game I ever played and I fell in love right away. =D I adore how Pikachu follows you around like in the anime and of course - the originals are always awesome. X3

Charizard86
16th July 2006, 12:08 AM
I mainly bought it for the extra challenge it had comapred to R/B, with slightly more powerful gym leaders & having Pikachu follow you was cool.

P_S_B
16th July 2006, 1:49 AM
Yellow is better without Missingno. This is true, for two reasons:

1. The Missingno. that can be found through the Mew glitch is a very dangerous glitch, much more than the red and blue Missingno. and it can wipe your game!

2. It makes lazy people train their Pokemon properly, as they cannot diplicate rare candies due to the lack of Missingno.

To beat brock, simply catch a mankey and train it 'till it learns low kick. This does make it difficult to do an Ash run though.

Gutsman
16th July 2006, 5:03 AM
Yellow was the first Videogame I ever played and I was hooked. It still is fun now but too bad my DS won't let me play it. :(

Gutsman
16th July 2006, 5:11 AM
Yellow was the first Videogame I ever played and I was hooked. It still is fun now but too bad my DS won't let me play it. :(

Pottsie
16th July 2006, 12:19 PM
I liked Yellow. It was more challenging than the previous Games and the Graphics were good for its time and I liked Pikachu (And I still do).

Bulbatordile
16th July 2006, 12:36 PM
Yellow is great. I like the sprites (Anime inspired) they differed from the (sometimes dodgy) R/B sprites and are similar to the ones used to day.
I liked having all three starters and Pikachu, and the Anime inspired storyline-Team Rocket.
As well as the slight changes to some Pokemon's move pools that made them a little better than before.

Ryano Ra
18th July 2006, 1:06 AM
*nods head*

I still play Pokemon Yellow, with the little Pikachu making different faces and trailing behind me. *adores it* I think it is a very good game; it is not as exciting as Emerald, but I do find it more historical and adventurous, plus, with Jesse and James and their annoying crew. But really, I liked the concept of using Pokemon to follow you. I think they should consider that for Diamond/Pearl...that'd be an interesting thing to do. Much fun.

Katsu Koneko
18th July 2006, 4:15 AM
Yellow was my first Pokemon game, it was awesome and I was hooked. I looove Pikachu and that's why this game is one of my faves. Pikachu walks around with you, sooo cute! ^^;;