PDA

View Full Version : Berserk

Minami Itsuki
23rd April 2006, 10:39 PM
Recently read the manga--loved it and thought I NEED MORE!!! D:

Unfortunately...I have to wait a week for the next shipment. ><

So...does anyone else here read this AMAZING manga, and what are your thoughts on it?

That Scary Clefairy
24th April 2006, 12:33 AM
Holy crap! Someone else is trying out Berserk!!!!! Hellkorn, They may start to get the idea!

Ahem, Yea I'm up to volume 31 of Berserk, and so far its absolutly amazing. Its my favorite manga of all time. I truly recommend it if you can take the gore and violents as well as its sexual contents. I dunno where you'll up to but get ready for volume 12 or even volume 9. It gets really shocking from volume 12 and 13. Its a masterpiece.

I gurantee you that you WON"T be disappointed. One of the best manga out there. Glad you like it.
My favorite character is SkullKnight

HK
24th April 2006, 10:53 PM
Recently read the manga--loved it and thought I NEED MORE!!! D:

Unfortunately...I have to wait a week for the next shipment. ><

So...does anyone else here read this AMAZING manga, and what are your thoughts on it?

Holy crap! Someone else is trying out Berserk!!!!! Hellkorn, They may start to get the idea!

*Stars to cry tears of joy while dry humping the stack of Dark Horse's translated Berserk volumes he has collected.*

Oh yeah, baby, I absolutely love Berserk. I'm a (reasonable, mind you) Berserk fan boy in many ways, and it is absolutely my favorite manga series. Along with Neon Genesis Evangelion, it is my favorite story in all of anime and manga, and including those two and the movie Blade Runner, the three are my favorite fictional stories that I have ever seen.

But the Neon Genesis Evangelion and Blade Runner are masterpieces for a different discussion... ABOUT BERSERK!

I've ready all thirty volumes of Berserk and the six chapters that will be collected in volume thirty-one was all the material for that is put out. It has some amazing highs and honestly while I can say that some parts aren't amazing, it is just simply the fact that they tend to be surrounded by some amazing arcs and chapters that are utterly mind blowing. If you want to read my review of it, then just check out this link here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=2233856&postcount=9

The above review doesn't even begin to cover everything that I think about Berserk, though, because frankly, despite the fact that it is one of the most popular seinen titles around, the series (along with Kentaro Miura, the manga-ka of Berserk whom I can only put on the level of genius) cannot receive enough praise.

Just on a random note, if anyone wants all of the chapters of Berserk scanned, PM me or TSC.

Every aspect about Berserk is on a level that I don't think any other manga has come close to touching. It has action. It has philosophy. It has romance. It has comedy. It has psychological aspects. It has realistic and wonderfully developed characters. It has beautiful, stunning art. It has a majestic universe. It has a seriously deep and profound plot.

To sum it all up, Berserk is an epic masterpiece, no questions asked.

Btw, Roy Mustang, how far are you into Berserk? Somewhere with Dark Horse great translation, or are you reading reading scans?

On a final note, the three main characters of Berserk are three of the most realistic and developed characters that you will ever see, and you can become so empathetic to them for whatever thought that they have and whatever action that they do. Guts, Griffith, and Casca exemplify what it means to have characters fighting for what they believe in and who they care for.

MasterJedi
25th April 2006, 2:09 AM
My friend is letting me borrow the first volume and from what I've seen of it already it looks really good so I'll probably start getting into this now as well. :)

Minami Itsuki
25th April 2006, 2:25 AM
I'm reading online scans. ;; Although, I'd want to buy some volumes next week when they get shipment at Barnes and Nobles. Oo

xDD

Guts is awesome. Oo And yeah...it IS pretty gory.

MY kind of manga. xDD

That Scary Clefairy
25th April 2006, 3:24 AM
I'm reading online scans. ;; Although, I'd want to buy some volumes next week when they get shipment at Barnes and Nobles. Oo

xDD

Guts is awesome. Oo And yeah...it IS pretty gory.

MY kind of manga. xDD

what volume are you up to?

Minami Itsuki
27th April 2006, 4:41 AM
Unfortunately....;; barely Volume 1. D::

But I'll read more. xDD I like it so far.

MasterJedi
27th April 2006, 10:09 PM
I've read volume 1 that I borred from my friend. I want to read more! :)

That Scary Clefairy
28th April 2006, 1:30 AM
Oh trust me, You'll gonna LOVE it once you hit volume 4 and on. From volume 4 to 13 invovles the Golden arc which deals with Guts' past. first three volume is on himself fighting demons and all.

Once you read the Golden era arc, its an amazing ride. As you read on, there are quite some disturbing images but I think you can handle it. But volume 12 and 13...man its a shocker.

0Hero
28th April 2006, 2:37 AM
Lol......is it really that good? My friend is like FORCING me to read it.

That Scary Clefairy
28th April 2006, 4:33 AM
Hell yea. it probably has one of the most twisted plot climax ever. The story is dark, violance, grisly, yet it has a well develop plot, characters, theme etc. the first thre volume make make you think "another hack in slash series" but its much more than that. Volume 4-13 help discover why the main character, Guts, is like that the way he is in volume 1-3.

HK
28th April 2006, 5:56 AM
Unfortunately....;; barely Volume 1. D::

But I'll read more. xDD I like it so far.

I'm just going to assume that you've checked the link that I gave you.

Anyway, trust me, if you do actually enjoy the first three volumes of Berserk, then you won't know what to think when the Golden Age arc comes around. Epic doesn't even begin to describe it. The art work greatly improves, starting around volume six and particuarly noticable at volume eight, and then looking at latest chapters... I have to see that Berserk, on occasions, is one of the most beautiful things to just simply look at. Kentaro Miura is almost beyond comprehension.

I've read volume 1 that I borred from my friend. I want to read more! :)

Cool. If you want, I can send you a site which does have the online scans. PM or reply back if you want it.

Lol......is it really that good? My friend is like FORCING me to read it.

1) Yes.

2) Your friend is smart. You need to submit.

If you want more of an explanation on why I, like so many others, consider Berserk to be one of the greatest stories to be created by the human mind within recent years (on another note, the series was started in 1988 and it released bi-weekly in Japan)... well, I'm afraid that I would have to devote posts upon posts concerning different matters and subjects about Berserk to explain everything I absolutely love about it. Truthfully, it has everything that any epic masterpiece would have, and I'll leave it at that for now.

MasterJedi
28th April 2006, 1:09 PM
I'm just going to assume that you've checked the link that I gave you.
Cool. If you want, I can send you a site which does have the online scans. PM or reply back if you want it.

You bet I'd be interested in the online scans! I'd really appreciate it if you did post the link to the site. :)

HK
28th April 2006, 9:35 PM
Sent the link to ya, MasterJedi. If anyone else wants it, or else just wants to ask questions and discuss the manga, just PM me or TSC.

... Man, it just amazes me. All of a sudden people are taking an interest here to read Berserk. It's like my 'fan boy-ism' has suddenly gone from just me and my hand to a slowly but surely developing orgy of new Berserk fans here at SPPF... TSC, there is still hope! 8D

Minami Itsuki
29th April 2006, 1:37 AM
Hellkorn: I sure did!

So...lemme get this straight...Griffith becomes a Godhand...? And he's Femto right?

That Scary Clefairy
29th April 2006, 3:30 PM

So...lemme get this straight...Griffith becomes a Godhand...? And he's Femto right?

Yea, I'm assuming you'll up to volume 3 correct? He is one, now how he became one is the real question. That isn't revealed til volume 12/13 get ready.

Minami Itsuki
29th April 2006, 5:19 PM
I've been reading online scans since my 2 day vacation....so yeah. I'm actually going to start on Volume 4 now. oO

Is that the start of the so called Golden Era arc? xDD

I'm really starting to get addicted at this manga. Oo *has a bunch of new Berserk graphix and pics on computer* xDD

HK
29th April 2006, 8:16 PM
Ah, more good news... more people send me PMs about the manga! I swear I haven't been this giddy about being a fan boy in a helluva long time!

... Anyway, onto other matters...

Ah yup, as TSC says a couple posts above me, [spoil]Griffith does become the fifth member of the God Hand, Femto. For the names of the other God Hand members, they are as follows: Void (the one that takes in the appearance of a skull with his eyes shown shut; also the apparent leader of the God Hand), Slan (the only female member of the God Hand with green, almost Medusa-like hair; she is apparently the lustful one of them), Ubik (the bald, floating member with the tendrils; apparently the most manipulative and knowledgeable of the five), and Conrad (the bald one that has his hands constantly clasped together; probably the msot mysterious of the God Hand as not much can be known or drawn from his actions, as little as they are).

I've been reading online scans since my 2 day vacation....so yeah. I'm actually going to start on Volume 4 now. oO

Is that the start of the so called Golden Era arc? xDD

Yeah, although technically the Golden Age arc starts toward the end of volume three and it ends around the start to the middle of volume fourteen. Easily my most favorite story arc in any fiction that I have ever seen or read, and the ending of it is one of the most emotional pieces that I have witnessed. You'll be blown away.

I'm really starting to get addicted at this manga. Oo *has a bunch of new Berserk graphix and pics on computer* xDD[/I]

To pull out a recent quote o' mine...

“Berserk is my anti-drug.”

It. Is. Damn. Good. And. Addicting.

Minami Itsuki
29th April 2006, 9:28 PM
>D Well, if I didn't make this thread no one would be...reminded of how awesome this series is...

Oo @ Gut's dad. He's whacked.

That Scary Clefairy
29th April 2006, 10:17 PM
Yes he is. Gambino isn't really his dad but a "father" figure. Even so(despite what he did), Gambino is still a role model for Guts. He taught him how to fight and live and rely on his sword. That was the only meaning that was ever taught to Guts. This later affect Guts by volume 6. The same volume that excites HK.

HK
30th April 2006, 6:18 AM
>D Well, if I didn't make this thread no one would be...reminded of how awesome this series is...

Actually, if you didn't, I don't think anyone would start to learn about how awesome this series is. >_o

Oo @ Gut's dad. He's whacked.

As TSC stated above me, Gambino isn't actually his dad, but damn near the closest thing that Guts has ever had to a father. And I consider what happened to Guts on that night where Donovan raped him after Gambino sold him out for a few gold coins to be more harmful, although it does relate to Guts' relationship with his surrogate father.

Try to keep the majority of things in spoilers, btw, despite the fact that I'm being a hypocrite after I didn't put the five members of the God Hand in spoiler tags. >_o

That was the only meaning that was ever taught to Guts. This later affect Guts by volume 6. The same volume that excites HK.

Why does that final statement sound so stereotypically wrong?

... Anyway, I've already gone over again and again what I love volume six, particuarly for that chapter. You can't deny that that sequence of where (seriously don't read this unless you want to be really spoiled) Griffith talks to Princess Charlotte about dreams as Guts and Casca watch on doesn't completely define the entire series.