PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Demonfire

~RaikouRider243~
24th April 2006, 12:42 AM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/dissension/demonfire.jpg
DEMONFIRE

Dissension rare

XR: Sorcery

Demonfire deals X damage to target creature or player. If a creature dealt damage this way would be put into a graveyard this turn, remove it from the game instead.
Hellbent ó If you have no cards in hand, Demonfire canít be countered by spells or abilities and the damage canít be prevented.

This card should never have been printed. All this is showing is that the game no longer caters to casual players; it merely caters to tournament-caliber players. This is effectively the replacement for Blaze. Let's compare this to Blaze:
---
XR: Sorcery
Blaze deals X damage to target creature or player.
---
You're getting two extra effects for the SAME MANA COST. That's wrong. Now, if Blaze was an instant, I wouldn't be complaining. Magic has officially replaced Blaze with this. Granted, this is a very good card, but it makes me angry that R&D would resort to outdating a card. If it cost one more mana, it wouldn't be so stupid of a card.

4/5

Sika
24th April 2006, 12:53 AM
Yay for over-powered cards!

4/5

But you have a point. Magic is not as atractive for casual players as it used to be. Look at me, I don't partcipate in tournaments or stuff, but I can't get to play anymore, because only a very small part of my friends likes MTG. Those whose do, don't have the time to play, anyway. The stores are run by players that discriminate all who just want to have fun. Timmies and Spikes have taken over the business, for God's sake! As a result, I barely play MTG anymore.

We won't see a reprint, though. It has hell-bent, these kinds of abilities usally don't enter the core sets. Blaze can still be in core sets, but Fireball is better.

Shadow Trainer
24th April 2006, 2:00 AM
Blaze, but better. 3/5

chaoslord
24th April 2006, 4:02 AM
Blaze, but better. 3/5

He wins the thread.

This is nothing to get excited about.

Its a blaze.

If it kills something, that gets RFG. Wonderful. More likely than not this is going straight to the dome anyways, so that doesn't matter as much as you would think.

If its the last card in your hand, its uncounterable and unpreventable. Wonderful. You'd have to be a bit...not thinking...to tap all and blaze into a counter. And most damage prevention to player isn't higher than three. And this should win you the game.

Its better than blaze, obv, but its still nothing to be too excited about.

3/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
24th April 2006, 11:15 AM
Blaze + 2 effects that aren't much to scream about. There you have it. 3.5/5. Personally speaking, this screams for Overabundance as its partner.

-splat-

Opponent: Noez!

Yeah.