View Full Version : MTG COTD: Simic Guildmage

~RaikouRider243~
25th April 2006, 3:09 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/dissension/simic_guildmage.jpg

SIMIC GUILDMAGE

Dissension uncommon

{G/U}{G/U}: Creature - Elf Wizard

({G/U} can be paid with either G or U.)

1G: Move a +1/+1 counter from target creature to another target creature with the same controller.

1U: Attach target Aura enchanting a permanent to another permanent with the same controller.

2/2

Out of all three of the Dissension guilds, the Simic looks like it'll be the most fun to play. It looks like blue will control white's Auras a bit better now. Basically the second ability says **** you Faith's Fetters. I'll just move it onto a land and your Fetters are now useless. Even Azorius can use the Simic Guildmage to do that; however he's best in a Simic deck, where you can take full advantage of the +1/+1 counters. The whole Simic strategy is about manipulating +1/+1 counters. The guild leader gets all the activated abilities of any permanent with +1/+1 counters on them.

I like this guildmage, almost on par with Selesnya. Plus, the abilities only cost 2.

Raikou Rider's rating: 3/5

Shadow Trainer
25th April 2006, 8:02 PM
Good card. First ability works well with Graft mechanic and can let you do combat tricks. Second ability is great for doing tricks with your auras and screwing with your opponent's auras. 3/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
26th April 2006, 1:53 PM
Hah. Talk about flexibility. I love this card. Now to get my hands on that deck......

3/5

skiboydoggy
30th April 2006, 3:36 PM
Heh, that is really really cheap. The +1/+1 counters bring me back to my Transference days...

Felix Feral Fezirix
3rd May 2006, 1:19 PM
More like Arcbound, but never mind. Now that you've lost it......

klducks
3rd May 2006, 4:09 PM
Looking at this, Faith's Fetters usefulness went down...... A LOT.

Getting your fetters moved onto your own Savanah Lions/Isamaru isn't fun at all.

Felix Feral Fezirix
4th May 2006, 12:38 PM
It can't be moved to your creatures if you stuff it on your opponent's creature. Read carefully.

From one creature to another creature with the SAME controller.

Still.......IT STILL GETS IT OFF YOUR ANNOYING CARD OF DOOM!!! WHEE!!!!

In fact, just dump on your Elvish Skysweeper and be done with it. >_>

klducks
4th May 2006, 4:10 PM
ah, my bad. I thought it meant controller of the AURA and not the permanent. My bad.

It would still make Fetters only a lifegain card since you could still move the fetters to one of your lands with a simple 1U cost.

i guess you could also fetters this guildmage aswell...

~RaikouRider243~
4th May 2006, 4:39 PM
If you fetter the guildmage, you can't use the ability nemore. :/

klducks
4th May 2006, 11:33 PM
If you fetter the guildmage, you can't use the ability nemore. :/
I'm saying you would fetters the guildmage, causing your opponent to not be able to make fetters a near worthless card while making the Guildmage worthless.

Saying this from the perspective of the controller of Faith's Fetters.

Felix Feral Fezirix
5th May 2006, 4:19 AM
Wait.....But Faith's Fetters reads that it can't stop ACTIVATED MANA ABILITIES.

Oh dear. Let's go back to that thread since I'm too lazy to grab my deck and pull one of my three Fetters out......

Nah. No stopping Mana Abilities.

I guess they decided Fetters was too good and decided to neutralise it.

klducks
5th May 2006, 4:39 AM

Oh dear. Let's go back to that thread since I'm too lazy to grab my deck and pull one of my three Fetters out......

Exactly, if i was in the position of the person with Guildmage and having one of my other permanents getting fettered, I'd move fetters to a land, making it do, nothing.

It's all situations situations.

Kaizer
5th May 2006, 4:41 AM

I guess they decided Fetters was too good and decided to neutralise it.

Firstly, Faith's Fetters never has and never will be "too good" that it alone needs to be neutralized, there are far more damaging cards in the format already.

Secondly, I think you're mistaken about what a mana ability is. It is not any activated ability that uses mana as a part of the cost. It is instead an ability that adds mana to your mana pool (puddle).

406.1. A mana ability is either (a) an activated ability that could put mana into a player’s mana pool when it resolves or (b) a triggered ability that triggers from a mana ability and could produce additional mana. A mana ability can generate other effects at the same time it produces mana.

So fetters does indeed shutdown the guildmage.
;245;

skiboydoggy
5th May 2006, 1:55 PM
Hmm... That's interesting...
-Makes mental note to read rulebook one day-

Felix Feral Fezirix
5th May 2006, 2:27 PM

C'mere, Ski, so I can kill you for screwing up the rules.

Must......keep.......Fetters.....in.....deck...... .

skiboydoggy
6th May 2006, 5:55 AM
Bah, go away.
You didn't read the rulebook either, so shuddap.

Felix Feral Fezirix
7th May 2006, 3:25 AM
To think I trusted you to quote therules correctly....(T.T)

I did read the rules once, but I didn't really get everything into my skull. >_<

This just made Fetters all the more important. -shiver-

bowsermaster12
12th May 2006, 12:53 AM
My simic deck at the prerelase had only one of these. Its an ok card, the aura move ability is more like a white spell i seem to have seen before [ Kitsune Mystic, link for all you nub cakes Kitsune Mystic (http://gatherer.wizards.com/gathererlookup.asp?set=ChampionsofKamigawa&name=kitsune_mystic) ]

The move counter is ok, but Graft allready makes it so when ever a creature coems in you can move ONE counter. I cant tell you how many people are retarded and dont read the cards right.
Throw in a Vigean Hydropon [Link for noobs agian Vigean Hydropon (http://gatherer.wizards.com/gathererlookup.asp?set=Dissension&name=vigean_hydropon)

4/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
12th May 2006, 7:12 AM
Look, the guildmage makes moving counters faster. You can move unlimited numbers of counters, plus it's an instant, meaning you can instantly strengthen a creature that's being blocked by a creature stronger than it.

I say this guildmage goes in an Arcbound deck. ^^

bowsermaster12
12th May 2006, 9:16 PM
To bad archbounds are banned and you would be retarded to go agianst one cause there BROKEN!

graft is the fixed version of modulator, Once a grafter dies you cant move all counters onto a creature.

Kaizer
12th May 2006, 9:38 PM
To bad archbounds are banned and you would be retarded to go agianst one cause there BROKEN!

graft is the fixed version of modulator, Once a grafter dies you cant move all counters onto a creature.

Arcbounds are banned? When did this happen? I'm seriously wondering that as not a single arcbound is currently on any of the banned lists. Hell, it's not restricted either because no one even plays Ravager let alone any of the other arcbounds.

As for comparing this to Kitsune Mystic and Vigean Hyrdopon, they barely compare. You have to FLIP the mystic so that it can use it's lovely little ability and that can be quite difficult to do, the guildmage is far faster at that. As for against the Hydropon? Well the Hydropon is pretty much crap. Guildmage allows you to move at any time and far more than just one counter. Hello combat tricks anyone?

So ummm, yeah... Why did you say the card was worse than the cards you mentioned but rate it high?

And umm, finally, Graft is not merely a fixed Modular. They're actually rather different abilities. But Graft is definitely better as it allows for the movement when the creature is still alive granting you far more control than you have with Modular.

bowsermaster12
12th May 2006, 10:43 PM
First off, Im not saying this to make my self look better, but im a judge i know my facts and rules dude.

Second, they didnt really ban all Archbounds, what i ment to say, i though you would know this by now, but on march 5th 2005 they banned Disciple of the Vault, Artifact Lands, and Arcbound Ravager. Basically breaking the archbound deck.

Third, I didnt compare Kitsune Mystic as an equal i said 'Simic Guildmages move aura ability makes it seem more white like Kitsune Mystic' only reason i said that card was cause its in Standard Format.

It even says, in the card list booklet that came with the Dissension fatpack, Graft is a fixed version of Modulator. Because you cant move all counters when it dies, just one whenever a creature comes into play and i belive one when it dies too.

Kaizer
13th May 2006, 4:58 AM
First off, Im not saying this to make my self look better, but im a judge i know my facts and rules dude.

Second, they didnt really ban all Archbounds, what i ment to say, i though you would know this by now, but on march 5th 2005 they banned Disciple of the Vault, Artifact Lands, and Arcbound Ravager. Basically breaking the archbound deck.

Third, I didnt compare Kitsune Mystic as an equal i said 'Simic Guildmages move aura ability makes it seem more white like Kitsune Mystic' only reason i said that card was cause its in Standard Format.

It even says, in the card list booklet that came with the Dissension fatpack, Graft is a fixed version of Modulator. Because you cant move all counters when it dies, just one whenever a creature comes into play and i belive one when it dies too.

Ok, you apparently misunderstood me, and I'm apparently misunderstanding you.

I asked when Arcbounds were banned. I'm well aware of the fact that Ravager and friends were banned from Standard roughly a year ago. I'm also aware that that block rotated out last September. That moved Ravager and friends out of Standard and just leaving them in Vintage, Legacy, Extended and their ilk. Either way, they are not banned in any of those formats, meaning Ravager, nor any other arcbounds, are banned. And just to make sure this is understood, there was no Arcbound Deck. There was Raffinity.

The move aura ability is significantly more blue than white. Good job on knowing the color pie. White, while it will gladly use enchantments of it's own, is far more likely to destroy those enchantments than move them around- that requires dabbing into field manipulation, something primarily blue. White just got the enchantments under the mystic because they do that kind of things sometimes.

Page 17 of Dissension Player's Guide from fatpack doesn't say Graft is a fixed Modular, it merely states that putting the two together is a good idea. As I said earlier, Graft allows for more control and constant manipulation triggering for any creature coming into play. Modular triggers upon death only. They are similar abilities, yes, but graft is different enough to make it more than a fixed modular.

Third- Judges read the FAQ.

That may come out as a little offensive, but I'm trying to be rather clear on my position here on what I was saying earlier.

Felix Feral Fezirix
13th May 2006, 5:28 PM
And pretty few people need a Ravager in an Arcbound deck. Get a load of Crushers and other cheap Arcbound monsters, bring in artifact regen (and this guildmage, if you're playing casually ^^) and wham bam your opponent. Of course, having a Darksteel Colossus along wouldn't hurt, would it?

Kaizer
13th May 2006, 8:02 PM
And pretty few people need a Ravager in an Arcbound deck. Get a load of Crushers and other cheap Arcbound monsters, bring in artifact regen (and this guildmage, if you're playing casually ^^) and wham bam your opponent. Of course, having a Darksteel Colossus along wouldn't hurt, would it?

Worker, Slith, Crusher, and Fiend. That's all the Arcbounds one of my friends who graduated last year ever needed to win with his own Arcbound deck. He wasn't even the one with the Sliths either, they were just helpful towards him in team games.

bowsermaster12
13th May 2006, 8:48 PM
<long post>

No your wrong, I have the book in front of me, idk why you said that. It says its good with cards like the phantoms and Doubling season, nothing about archbounds. It says Graft is a fixed version of modulator because only noobs play modulator. I never said that the modulator type cards were banned from all formats. No one would play this in Extended, Skullclamp and Disciple are both banned in it.

Stop coming at my throat man, you dont wanna mess with my bad side dude im warning you right now, Ok?

Felix Feral Fezirix
14th May 2006, 8:52 AM
No your wrong, I have the book in front of me, idk why you said that. It says its good with cards like the phantoms and Doubling season, nothing about archbounds. It says Graft is a fixed version of modulator because only noobs play modulator. I never said that the modulator type cards were banned from all formats. No one would play this in Extended, Skullclamp and Disciple are both banned in it.

Stop coming at my throat man, you dont wanna mess with my bad side dude im warning you right now, Ok?

Sorry? n00bs play Modular? That's a bad comment to make man, Ski's gonna kill you for that. A more correct version would be, "n00bs play Modular with Ravager." Lots of people just need their Crushers and Workers to kill. Game Over. End of story. Don't shoot all the Modulars down man, it's bad for your lifespan.

You ask people to stop coming at your throat, but you make people do so. In fact I have just listed a prime example above. Everyone has different playing styles. Don't shoot people for it. Modular is a pretty good ability, for your information, in my opinion. That kind of opinion you have about Modular just shows how narrow-minded you are, and makes people want to pay 5000 bucks just to kill you. I mean, come on, do onto others what they do onto you. Okay?

bowsermaster12
15th May 2006, 9:29 PM
Im just posting what I think and then you all come at me like that

Felix Feral Fezirix
16th May 2006, 3:58 AM
Meh. I'm not coming at ya. Just don't make sweeping comments like that. People'll hate you for that. Really hate you. You need to know what to say to people sometimes, ya know. You could really rile someone. ANd I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about other people. It's not always good to express your opinion if you don't know people really well.

Think before you speak, as they say.

As I said, this Guildmage is a pretty good ultility in an Arcbound deck. A little instant shifting to save your soul. Lawl.

Kaizer
16th May 2006, 4:57 AM
Im just posting what I think and then you all come at me like that

I go at everyone like that. It's how I express my opinions- I find little faults in the facts or broad generalized statements that I disagree with and exploit them.

I will point out a few things that could help mine, and possibly other's opinions of you. Firstly, being a level one judge in magic is nothing. Really, Chaos could easily be a level one judge is there was a level four anywhere within a hundred miles of where he lives.

Second, threatening people over the internet does no good and makes you look rather... off.

I would also like to, once again, point out that I too have that players guide. It says nothing about a fixed modular, just that the two go well together.