PDA

View Full Version : New Plot - Old Lot! (450)

Serebii
27th April 2006, 2:32 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/450.jpgNew Plot - Odd Lot!

At the next Town, May decided to enter the contest in order to win her 5th Pokémon Contest in Kanto in order to qualify for the Grand Festival. However when there, May & Co. meet up with May's Rival Harley who still wants to stop May from entering the Grand Festival, and he intends to mess up this contest for her so she cannot get her fifth ribbon. To do so, he teams up with Team Rocket. Will May be able to enter and win?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/kanto/450.shtml)

Discuss

Dreamcoat
27th April 2006, 7:29 PM
Apparently Harley has still got some 'energy' left from when he defeated May judging by his newfound confidence which, along with Combusken's appeal, makes this episode great!

JazzJazz
27th April 2006, 8:06 PM
Apparently Harley has still got some 'energy' left from when he defeated May judging by his newfound confidence

If he had so much confidence he wouldn't need to align with Team Rocket, would he?

Silent Conversation
27th April 2006, 11:30 PM
Harley and Team Rocket together is a good idea.

I just want to know HOW Harley will convince Team Rocket to allow him to join them. Maybe Team Rocket respects Harley's mean personality and automatically lets him join. Nobody knows...

Anyways, I MUST see this episode. I can't wait 'till it comes to Canada!

ghost master
27th April 2006, 11:36 PM
Harley and Team Rocket together is a good idea.

I just want to know HOW Harley will convince Team Rocket to allow him to join them. Maybe Team Rocket respects Harley's mean personality and automatically lets him join. Nobody knows...

Anyways, I MUST see this episode. I can't wait 'till it comes to Canada! We're supposed to keep speculation out of this thread. Besides its more of how is TR going to convince Harley to come with us. A few episodes ago he was making fun of them.

If he had so much confidence he wouldn't need to align with Team Rocket, would he? I think this is part of Jessie's plan. Recall that at the end of the brock vs may contest jessie makes a comment about having an idea for the next contest.

This apparently means Harley is so low and pathetic. Such an evil heart and can't forgive May. He's too proud and his plans always fail. Thats why he just beat May with his latest confrontation with her.

Just for the sake of not having to make another post.

Comis Patronus
27th April 2006, 11:37 PM
This apparently means Harley is so low and pathetic. Such an evil heart and can't forgive May. He's too proud and his plans always fail.

HoennMaster
28th April 2006, 3:00 AM
Yep, that's Harley

Sunain
28th April 2006, 6:49 AM
Harley and Team Rocket together is a good idea. Anyways, I MUST see this episode. I can't wait 'till it comes to Canada!

Hah, that will be sometime in April of 2007.

This was a great episode. Harley is turning out to be a better rival then Gary ever was to Ash.

GreenKirby
28th April 2006, 7:42 AM
I've heard a younger Harley was shown. I also heard Banette appears. From taitofan in the Harley fan club.

Golden Darkness
28th April 2006, 7:50 AM
Seen the episode.

Seems the teamup is more than just Harley supporting Jessie with his Pokemon. He gave James Ariados to sabatoge May's Appeal(which failed).

Drew does make a quick cameo.

FireHead Hank
28th April 2006, 12:17 PM
I've heard a younger Harley was shown. I also heard Banette appears. From taitofan in the Harley fan club.

Yes it's shown how Harley meets May for the first time as a kid. Harley is having lunch, it seems like he has a favorite piece of foot, so he starts eating his other stuff and saves the "best for the last". As he has eaten everything but the piece(of fish I think, it has the shape of an OCtillery), May appears, takes Harleys "fish" and eats it.
So that's why Harley seems to hate May... :rolleyes:

Jo-Jo
28th April 2006, 1:09 PM
Seen the episode pictures! This looks like a good'un. Harley is flouncy as ever, with a brand new gay walk(tm) and a delightfully unconvincing childhood flashback to explain why he hates May (personally I'm leaning on the theory that he made the whole thing up to get Jessie's sympathy). Banette, Cacturne and Ariados all make appearances - hurrah! And Cacturne falls in love with Jessie. XD It runs right up and glomps onto her like a crazed fanboy. Banette looks v. amused. Why are the ships in Pokemon so frequently disturbing, I wonder?

There wasn't quite as much plot as I was expecting... the episode covers the Harley/TR alliance and the appeals, but it feels a little bit like the writers had to pad it out to make it last the full twenty five minutes. Possibly I'll change my mind on this when I see the episode properly. Harley gets TR on his side surprisingly quickly, especially Jessie. Well, I suppose she's always been a sucker for tales of childhood trauma. Oh, cuteness note - Chibi!Harley had a lunchbox with an octopus on it, and his rice had a smiley face. Bless!

Anyhoo, brief synopsis: Harley and TR team up to stop May winning, as we all know. During the appeals, James and Meowth are given the task of helping Ariados trip up May and Combusken with String Shot. Ash goes to sort them out, but in the end he needn't have bothered; Combusken's Fire Spin burns up the string and poor Ariados gets a cookin' (afterwards, Harley has a huge snit fit at James and Meowth for letting his beloved Pokemon get hurt. Heeeee). The effect with the Fire Spin and the string looks very impressive, though, and May manages to end the appeal on a strong note, so she scrapes through into the second round. Oh, and Drew randomly turns up for the contest and then... stands around in the corridor leading from backstage onto the stage. Errrrr, what was wrong with the nice comfy chairs in the auditorium, exactly, Drew? Strange kid. XD

I didn't get everything, though, so... couple of questions for anyone who's seen the ep and has a better idea than me of what went on:

- What does Nurse Joy say to May at the beginning of the ep that makes her look so alarmed? Was it something about the Grand Festival being only a month away?

- Where was Harley's flashback supposed to be set? It looked like a school.

- When Lilian shows the ribbon, May has two short flashbacks (flashback city in this episode): one to the conversation she had with Drew at the end of the Grand Festival, and one to something Harley said at the beginning of the ep. What was all that about?

- Why was Jessie's hair a weird shape this episode? :p (That's not a serious question. It was weird, though.)

- Was it ever explained why Drew was there? And why did he look so serious all episode?

- Did May realise who Jessie was? There's an exchange between them that makes it slightly look that way. Or maybe it was just me.

Torkoal Stu
28th April 2006, 1:31 PM
- Was it ever explained why Drew was there? And why did he look so serious all episode?
I would think Drew was there to watch May OR stop Harley because in the next episode preview he looks slightly evil when talking to Harley so it might be the latter.

Well i've seen the pictures as well and all I can say is:

* OMGZ DREW! Yay. We don't see enough of him this season, we mostly get filler Coordinators or Harley these days, am I right? Yes I believe I am.

* Wow Jessie actually did well in her Appeal, you know if they didn't cheat during May's :P

* SUCKERS! May turned it all around, so in the end they ended up helping her or so it looked. But then again Ash was fighting James in the rafters. Or so it looked.

* Drew did seem awfully serious during the appeals, he must of had a hate for Harley ever since the Silver Wind trick he pulled on May in the Hoenn GF.

* That girl better not of been May in the child thing, I mean we've seen character look alikes before but if it is May i'll scream since well in the first episode Harley appeared in he didn't look like he even knew May. So that also kind of proves that it was just a random girl of the writers are really trying hard to find more reasons to make Harley Team up with TR.

Looks pretty good, but Jessie did have weird hair like Jo-Jo said.

The Big Al
28th April 2006, 2:03 PM
Why couldn't he just stick with "she insulted us". (It worked for Scotty.)

Mika_Coyote
28th April 2006, 3:08 PM
- Why was Jessie's hair a weird shape this episode?
I noticed that too when I saw the pictures(torrent doesn't work for some reason o_O)... But I can answer that! Compare the shading of her hair in this episode with any of the others. In this one, for some odd reason, they put the shading line only on the hair's body, and not on her fringe, where it usually is. That decreases the contrast between her hair and the forehead, so it's highly noticeable. And also doesn't look that good. -.- Gee I sound so boring...

That Scary Clefairy
28th April 2006, 3:13 PM
Ok, one thing I don't get though for the flashback. It seems like in the flashback, Harley is the same age as May! o_O WTF??? Did Harly age faster than her at some point? But like Jo-Jo said, "it was probably made up to get Jesse's sympathy.

V Faction
28th April 2006, 3:33 PM
And with this episode, Combusken cements its place as May's best Pokemon to date... Again!

That "I Won't Lose!" song played during May's appeal was overly fitting. It's a rather catchy tune.

This episode makes me anxious to see a May Pokemon versus Harley Pokemon face-off one of these days. The likes of Combusken, Munchlax, Squirtle, and Eevee getting into a brawl with Cacturne, Banette, Ariados, and Octillery would be fun.

Alfonso
28th April 2006, 3:35 PM
Jo-Jo, Joy told May that this Contest was the 'last chance' (Literally, in Engrish. XD) to get a ribbon for the Grand Festival.

Octan-chan appears on Harley's lunchbox. <3

CyberCubed
28th April 2006, 4:45 PM
Jo-Jo, Joy told May that this Contest was the 'last chance' (Literally, in Engrish. XD) to get a ribbon for the Grand Festival.

Same as the Pacidfiglog Contest then.

So are the writers going to raise the stakes in every final Contest for each saga now, with May needing to win a ribbon in the last second?

V Faction
28th April 2006, 4:52 PM
Of course, because it's the easiest thing to do.

"Well, May needs her last ribbon. I guess we better make this the last chance to get a ribbon for the Grand Festival then."

It's insanely cheap, but I suppose they don't want to change for headache's sake.

At least this time that importance was played up much more. Brock commented on how the Pokemon were performing at their top levels, and then there was the whole Harley-Team Rocket fiasco.

CyberCubed
28th April 2006, 4:53 PM
Yes, but the other time May was stranded on a Donphan island! And she missed the ferry because of her darling little brother was lost! It was nail-biting for sure.

Anyway, was the location of the GF revealed?

Blaziken master
28th April 2006, 5:02 PM
The location will probally be revealed in the next episode by Drew or Vivian.But it may be put in this episode

ChaosMage
28th April 2006, 5:03 PM
This looks bloody good, I have to say.

Harley and May cannot be the same age- no way is Harley 10! Maybe it was Caroline...

Anyway, Drew appearing is good, as is Banette's return and the shipping between Cacturne and Jessie. Very nice.

CyberCubed
28th April 2006, 6:42 PM
God, this was an excellent episode. Now I know why I'm starting to like the Contest episodes even more than Ash's Brain battles, the character interactions in this are brillaint! Not to mention the comedy, I had a smile on my face throughout the entire episode.

So much good stuff, I loved how nervous and insecure May was throughout most of the episode. She was really emotional throughout the entire episode, hiding her hand in her face (and the camera gives us a nice crotch shot), and going through her regular girly motions.

Harley and Team Rocket really make an awesome combination. Jessie/Harley is amusing, but Cacturne/Jessie > all! I loved it how they planned to defeat May in this episode, with them messing up May though the microphones and Ariados' string shot.

Cacturne's appeal was great, as was Combusken's. Top notch I'd say, some great animation with May twirling and falling on her butt, nice.

It was also great to see Ash involved more with her arc this time. May asks Ash for a practice battle and they run off together to do a little training before the competition, something they rarely do nowadays. It was also nice to see Ash go upstage and stop Ariados/James/Meowth, although Combusken defeated Ariados by itself, Ash managed to blast them off.

LMAO @ Harley freaking out over Ariados and yelling at James/Meowth. He sure is angry, loved the backstory with May-lookalike too. Oh, and Drew showing up was nice too, even though he didn't really do much. He obviously has all 5 ribbons.

I liked the non-vocal May's theme played, really nice and upbeat.

This really does feel like a mini-Grand Festival, and if this is a preview for things to come in the actual GF competition, then this is sure going to rock!

An almost perfect episode, except for the lack of Harley/James interaction as well as Cacturne/Cacnea. Oh well, maybe the next episode for them.

Gravy
28th April 2006, 7:14 PM
The animation stopped this episode from being perfect in my opinion. I really tried my best to ignore it, but I just couldn't. It sucked major ***, with FAR too many freakishly off-model shots and poorly executed movements for my liking. With hindsight, I wish they had considered having Iwane work on this episode, instead of the failure of a comedy ep that was last week's Sudowoodo romp.
Though I will say this. I'm not one for the appearance of attacks constantly altering. But my word, Noctus-chan’s rendition of Needle Arm kicks Cacnea’s weedy little rotating limb attack to the curb.

But otherwise? it was still a great watch.
They've been blatantly overusing Harley throughout the Battle Frontier trek, but I don't give a crap. Thus far, he hasn't failed to impress and I don't think he will for a long time to come. Straight off the bat (And I use the term 'straight' lightly...) he poured on the charm. The whole 'Oops! I 'accidentally' dropped my ribbon case' charade, the overly effeminate poses and the limp wrists. It was all a wonderful display of why this character is so god damn awesome. And there was his reaction to his oh-so-precious Ariados-chan being burnt to a crisp. Lovely stuff that, just lovely :p

I also enjoyed how sinister Team Rocket turned out this time around. I mean, we had the occasional scene of comic hi-jinks (the flaming Ariados...naturally *rimshot*), but otherwise their performance was pretty much spot on. Especially that of Jessie.
But of course, their comic rountines were great fun too. Noctus-chan crushing on Jessie was gut busting stuff to be sure.

Combusken's appeal kicked so much rear it's just not funny. Screw Squirtle and it's bs ice sculptures, and to hell with Munchlax and it's...whatever the hell it does. That one fire tornado spat all over the other performances we saw, and the instrumental of 'I won't lose!' only served to make it all the more appealing. Combusken is where it's at, for both appeals and battles.
Speaking of which. The scene near the beginning of the episode involving the sparring match between Ash and Haruka provided a much-needed slice of Haruka training time. We need to see more practise matches between the two in the future, as seeing little tid-bits like that make Haruka seem a much more respectable pokémon trainer.

If next week's episode turns out to be as good as this, despite obnoxious Squirtle usage, methinks I'll have to christen this as one of, if not the best Contest stop-off yet.

Cacturne's appeal was great, as was Combusken's. Top notch I'd say, some great animation with May twirling and falling on her butt, nice.
Well, of course. That's because most of it was stock footage from one of Tokuda's episodes :P

Dark Cacturne
28th April 2006, 7:27 PM
Haha, this episode is full of action and fun! And finally: Cacturne makes a new appearece, he did a good job this time. Its actually cool when Jessie controls cacturne. I feel sorry for ariados when he got burned by Combuskens flamethrower. But next episode, its banette his turne, it is been a long time...

OverClockedZero
28th April 2006, 7:34 PM
I dont get how in the flashback (I think it should be), Harley looked young, and May did too. They looked the same age... Yet now, May is around 11ish (C'mon, she cant be 10 forever, cant she? So I'm guessing she's around 11), and Harley is what, 19? Did Harley just age faster or something?

Jo-Jo
28th April 2006, 7:40 PM
^^;; I wonder how many more times that question is going to be asked in this thread? ;)

The girl in Harley's flashback was not May. She was just somebody who looked a lot like her.

PDL
28th April 2006, 7:46 PM
perhaps Harley was making the whole thing up.

it wouldn't be completely out of character to invent a story with a May-lookalike to gain the rocket's sympathy.

The Doctor
28th April 2006, 8:00 PM
Maybe that's one of the five (I think it's five anyway, at the last count) reasons why Harley holds a grudge against May.

1. She didn't know about Harley's signature Pokemon, Cacturne.

2. She said that Cacturne was "so cool it's scary".

3. Harley took it as an insult that she said his cookies "weren't half bad".

4. I quote from A Cacturne For The Worse: "Hey, let's face it, you're not serious about Contests, you're just here to play around. Hello?" Harley disses Haruka-chan as inexperienced and winning only through luck.

NEW! 5. Because of a girl that looks like May ate his last bit of sushi, Harley blames May.

But hey, it could just be like PDL said and be a ploy to gain Rocketto-Dan's sympathy.

Torkoal Stu
28th April 2006, 8:10 PM
Maybe that's one of the five (I think it's five anyway, at the last count) reasons why Harley holds a grudge against May.

1. She didn't know about Harley's signature Pokemon, Cacturne.

2. She said that Cacturne was "so cool it's scary".

3. Harley took it as an insult that she said his cookies "weren't half bad".

4. I quote from A Cacturne For The Worse: "Hey, let's face it, you're not serious about Contests, you're just here to play around. Hello?" Harley disses Haruka-chan as inexperienced and winning only through luck.

NEW! 5. Because of a girl that looks like May ate his last bit of sushi, Harley blames May.

But hey, it could just be like PDL said and be a ploy to gain Rocketto-Dan's sympathy.
The first four i'm pretty sure were dub add ons, like I don't think original Harley would hate May for not knowing Cacturne >_>;;

Then again thats just my opinion.

CyberCubed
28th April 2006, 8:42 PM
The girl in Harley's flashback was not May. She was just somebody who looked a lot like her.

It's hard to believe that there is another girl in the world with the same hair style as May. It's almost like her trademark, its unthinkable of another brunette walking around with her hair like that! :o

I wonder if she became a looker though, especially since she'll be like May but at 19ish years old, and damn she must be breathtaking.

Korobooshi Kojiro
28th April 2006, 9:06 PM
This episode was awesome!

*Harley already has three ribbons.
*Their was a awesome BGM I don't hear alot when Ash and May were battling, I think it is from the games.
*Harley's lunchbox had Octillery on it, and he called the octopus snack "Octan-chan"
*Cacturne seems to have a crush on Jessie and jumped up and hugged her.
*Drew is in this episode, but has like no lines.
*Cacturne has a awesome appeal. he cuts a Onion with his spikes, and looks cool doing it.
*Ariados messes up Combushken's appeal, until Combushken does a huge fire attack, which makes Ariados on fire, and James tries to put it out.lol.
*Their is a karaoke version of Haruka's Theme.

I swear it sounded like James said "Sensei Queer" (No offense to anyone) after HArley walked out angrily at the end.

ghost master
28th April 2006, 9:18 PM
*Harley already has three ribbons. He has all 5 ribbons.

Anyway as others stated good episode. Although one question how come Cacnea always hurts James when it hugs him but when Cacturne hugs her shes fine?

Kabuto
28th April 2006, 9:20 PM
Although one question how come Cacnea always hurts James when it hugs him but when Cacturne hugs her shes fine?

Cacturne isn't spiky like Cacnea is.

Torchic23
28th April 2006, 9:21 PM
Wow what a great episode. This is my new favorite! Besides the animation, this may be one of the best episodes ever!

I loved that Drew made an appearence and I'm hoping this appearence leads to something good. Harley is so funny, I can't believe he likes Jessie and his Pokemon like her too. He's gonna let her use Banette, this should be good.

Poor May though. Jessie might actually be good with Banette, it sure looked like it. Maybe Drew will let her borrow Flygon then? I wish, but she's using Squirtle. The whole flash back thing was really friggen' weird....

Flamez
28th April 2006, 9:42 PM
Seen the episode and cant really say anything that hasnt been said already (damn you people lol). But i want to give my opinion and extend on gravy and v factions thoughts.

Have to agree with gravy about the animation, it wasn't good. The characters looks really off at times, when ash is sitting down with pikachu, take a look at pikachu's head that thing shrinked like crazy,lol. And what gravy said about combuskens appeal being probably the best so far is something i have to agree with, cuz i like combusken and for TR to be messing it up at first and then it came back and still put on a show was amazing specially the fire tornado and that one flame swirling in the air to get ariados. (poor ariados, it was funny how james was trying to cool off the fire)

And what V said about combusken proving that it is may's best pokemon is damn true, no one is better.
Chibi Harley was just adorable and so was the may look alike.
Overall i give it a 9/10.

The Great Butler
28th April 2006, 9:51 PM
The flashback, whether actually true or not, was adorable. 'May' and Harley were drawn very cutely there (wait.....did I just call Harley cute? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!) and Harley's evil plotting with Team Rocket was funny too.

This is one contest I'm actually looking forward to seeing dubbed.....

Pokemon Fan
28th April 2006, 9:53 PM
The first four i'm pretty sure were dub add ons, like I don't think original Harley would hate May for not knowing Cacturne >_>;;

Afraid you're wrong on that, as information on the episode said the same thing long before the dub version came. Harley's a wacky guy, so it fits quite well that he'd be upset that somebody would not only not know what his beloved Cacturne was but would also find it a bit creepy.

Geodude
28th April 2006, 10:45 PM
perhaps Harley was making the whole thing up.
Indeed he was. It was an overly dramatic sob story purely intended to get TR to go along with him. James and Meowth were skeptical, but Jessie totally bought into it.

And your opinion is wrong. :p The dub really doesn't change things that much or often. Those were all in the original.

and that one flame swirling in the air to get ariados.
It wasn't in the air. It ran along one of the weblines.

S.Suikun
28th April 2006, 10:46 PM
XD @ Cacturne falling for Jessie. Being with Harley that whole time must have seriously lowered its standards. Ragarding that fantasy, we probably need a solid translation to determine whether or not it was just a story Harley was making up (Harley has got to be at least 10 years older than May). Harley freaking out over Ariados being blasted off with james and Meowth was also a riot.

There were some peculiar musical cues in this not used often, particularly during the brief training session (I swear that sounds familiar, but I don't remember when it was last used in the anime) and the beginning of May's appeal. I really like the non-vocal version of "I Won't Lose", and hope it's used more often. Kicks the crap out of the vocal version (Which I only didn't mind the first one time I heard it. I mean, it has a great rhythm. I just think it's poorly-sung.). As for the animation, there were times when it seemed like they were trying to mimic the better animation teams by adding thick lines and facial shadows. They failed.

Geodude
28th April 2006, 10:47 PM
As I just said (I posted about the same time as you), it was just a story, and a translation isn't really needed to figure that out. James and Meowth's reactions and the music made it fairly obvious.

Alfonso
28th April 2006, 10:48 PM
Indeed he was. It was an overly dramatic sob story purely intended to get TR to go along with him. James and Meowth were skeptical, but Jessie totally bought into it.

...Indeed he was? Not meaning to be rude, but what evidence do you have to back up this firm claim?

Geodude
29th April 2006, 12:31 AM
The overly dramatic music, and James and Meowth's skeptical reactions.

Aldrius
29th April 2006, 12:42 AM
Wow. I might actually go to the trouble of watching this episode.

I wonder if Harley will have any new pokemon next episode. He needs more! MORE I say!

I must say I love villain team-ups. They're just too fun. Plus lil' Harley is cute. Plus uh... he has cute pokemon? @_@

Alfonso
29th April 2006, 1:48 AM
The overly dramatic music, and James and Meowth's skeptical reactions.

That's not really evidence, just your opinion and view of the scene. To outright say 'Yes, he was lying/making it up' isn't really justified since none of us can be certain.

Geodude
29th April 2006, 2:03 AM
Well I'm confident enough that were I to start writing the guide for this episode, that's how I'd write that scene. And I'm not prone to making major mistakes like that in guide writing.

V Faction
29th April 2006, 2:05 AM
Round 1. Fight!

Lil Brother
29th April 2006, 2:18 AM
Since everyone else has already said everything, I may as well point out some of the more bizzare off-character models. During the first scene when Harley shows up, everyone's heads are too big. XD And then Pikachu is smaller and has a completely different face than usual while th group is in the stands.

And yay, Ash seems to be getting more involved with May's contest instead of running away to train Swellow or Snorunt.

ArrEmmDee
29th April 2006, 2:47 AM
The mini-Harley lunch scene was the cutest thing ever.

Otherwise, I dunno if it's just reading the speculation thread about the fact a weak animation team was doing this episode, but I was seriously distracted by the poor quality of the art-- Brock and Jessie's hair, and Drew in general come to mind.

Anyway, so far my theory about the TR disbandment episode being a result of Jessie flipping out because James and Meowth screw up this Grand Festival plan seems to be panning out as I figured it would.

The preview for next episode totally confused me.

Medea
29th April 2006, 4:23 AM
I just saw the episode a couple of hours ago but I did love it!

It had Harley! There was a Drew cameo! I'm super satisfied here!

That little scene with Harley as a young kid was just so adorable. But for the most part it was really a good episode!

Yamato-san
29th April 2006, 5:05 AM
Does anyone know what those octopus-shaped treats are? I see them in anime quite a bit, but don't quite know what they are. Carved plums or something?

I'm with Geodude, I think Harley was just making up crap. I get the feeling that if they were really trying to show Harley's past, they'd give us some good indication as to what he has against the usage of "kamo".

Anyway, I may just be copying off everyone else, but in spite of the animation, it was a great episode. Harley never fails to amuse, once again (I'm surprised no one brought up the way he first appeared to Musashi by kinda sliding into the background XD). And I'm not very big on Shuu, but his appearance in the middle of the episode did come off as a surprise, and with the preview, he looks to have some promising interaction with Harley.

Oh, for the people that asked, the music playing when Haruka's practicing against Satoshi was an anime remix of the Champion Road theme from the games. And the reason Haruka had those flashbacks of Shuu and Harley was because, assuming that Shuu has his ribbons already, and she saw that Harley already got all of them, she has to win this contest if she wants to compete against them in the Grand Festival.

I swear it sounded like James said "Sensei Queer" (No offense to anyone) after HArley walked out angrily at the end.

Kojirou was saying "Sensei kowai!" (Sensei's scary).

Geodude
29th April 2006, 5:33 AM
Does anyone know what those octopus-shaped treats are?
Octillery-shaped treats, to be specific. :p At least in this case. I distinctly heard "Octan" when they were on-screen. And besides, this is the Pokemon world. :p *insert first-season real-world animal/fish objection here* Yeah I know, but that was the first season, it hasn't really happened since.

V Faction
29th April 2006, 6:06 AM
Octillery-shaped treats, to be specific. :p At least in this case. I distinctly heard "Octan" when they were on-screen. And besides, this is the Pokemon world. :p *insert first-season real-world animal/fish objection here* Yeah I know, but that was the first season, it hasn't really happened since.
They can call 'em Cthulhu Treats for all I care! Just what are they?

Fizban
29th April 2006, 6:41 AM
I want to say they are hot dogs (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=hot+dog+octopus), but eating wasn't really something I was doing during my trip to Japan (barring green tea ice cream).

What a great episode. The appeal Koffing did by forming the gas into the four card suits was really cute. I kind of wanted to see what that Bellsprout was going to do ^^;

sCiZoR_2006
29th April 2006, 7:06 AM
There were some peculiar musical cues in this not used often, particularly during the brief training session (I swear that sounds familiar, but I don't remember when it was last used in the anime) and the beginning of May's appeal. I really like the non-vocal version of "I Won't Lose", and hope it's used more often.

They've used the music from when Ash and May were practice battling before in the Japanese version (don't know if it stuck with the dub or not). It's from R/S/E (the BGM which plays while you're battling the Elite 4).

The BGM that played when May started her appeal comes from R/S/E, too. It's the BGM music that plays when you journey through Team Aqua's base next to Lilycove City. I particularly liked this one...wish it was played longer.

I've noticed that a lot of the BGM from the games are composed well for the anime (especially the Pokemon Contest's main theme).

And just to say, I HATE "I Won't Lose". It sounds too "punk rockish" to me.

KuwabaraTheMan
29th April 2006, 9:57 PM
Good episode. Harley's story was a hilarious scene, and Wakashamo's appeal was awesome.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Shuu show up. Next episode should be a great final contest, and it looks like we'll get to see Shuu actually do something aside from looking cool, so this two parter is off to a great start.

Harley and Musashi are hilarious together.

Chatsy
30th April 2006, 4:26 PM
Can anyone tell what was going on between Haruka and Musashi when they talked together in the lobby before they were to make their appeals?
And what Haruka was thinking after everybody else in the room stared/glared at them, where she afterwards started smiling and giggling which provoked Musashi?

It was funny when Musashi imitated the giggling when it cut to the commercials, and then she said something XD

Also, what did Satoshi tell Haruka when they sat at the table talking at the start of this episode?

I ask too much, yes I do.

Thriller
30th April 2006, 4:48 PM
I've had this ep since Friday but just now watched it.

Ok, the scene with young Harley in it and young Haruka appearing is BS. Haruka is about 11 and Harley is atleast in his 20's. Was I missing something? I don't understand Japanese y'know.

The whole situation with Harley is begining to get hillarious. Harley isn't even participating in this contest yet he is still getting smacked down by Haruka. I thought that was an excellent appeal with Fire Spin and the Spider Webbing.

No Tanne (Octillery)? Rats, Harley, please use Tanne again. I miss it.

Dammit Drew when are you going to be in a contest? He hasn't been in one since the whole arc started. Oh well, surely he'll be in the GF.

Juputoru
30th April 2006, 5:50 PM
-Did I hear James call Harley "Noctas man" when he slid in? XD
-Harley's "flashback" scene was so much BS and yet so in-character XD The man has shown how much of a grudge he can hold over little things, after all. And child Harley is the most adorable thing ever. :D As is his lunch ^o^
-Combusken finally gets more Contest spotlight. Horrah.
-They may be overusing Harley this saga, but if his eps keep being this awesome, I don't care!
-The pictures of the advacing coordinators popped up like normal...until they got to Haruka's, when there was a sudden dramatic pause. Riiiight.
-"I Won't Lose" feels so RIGHT after seeing this ep.

Faerie
1st May 2006, 2:29 AM
First - when watching the beginning of the episode, I got really riled up when I watched the Supaato opening. It always gets me hyper, but for some reason knowing that this episode was, well, this episode sort of made me even more excited. I'd say more about it, but that'd be off topic.

Next, I do agree with the people who said that the music in this episode was overly dramatic. The Elite Four music was awesome, but it seemed really...out of place with the training session, and putting it in the background of a scene with Haarii, of all people, just didn't work for me.

*smacks forehead* HARUKA-BOZU?! That is SO not right. After reaserching honorifics for the past month or so, watching this episode and hearing Haarii call Haruka "bozu" was just so scary. And how come half the male characters in Pocket Monsters call themselves "atashi"?

And the scene with the traditional Japanese Nyasu thingy worries me. It's not that I don't like it - in fact, I LOVED it. But I'm worried about what the dubbers will do to it. With PUSA dubbing the anime now, we don't know how far they're willing to go with editing culture references, but I just hope that they won't cut that scene out entirely. Although I don't see how they could without screwing up the episode.

HAHAHAHAHA~! "Nokutasu gaai!" XDD Sorry, I can't help it. That was just too funny. Although, Haarii does look a lot like a humanoid Nokutasu with long, fluffy purple hair...O__o;

Hmmm. You know what ticked me off about this episode? Haarii's hands were constantly changing size. One minute they're the size of Masato's and the next they're as long as his face. It's really strange, and quite distracting when you only understand 10% of what the characters are saying and have to look at the artwork to understand the story.

Musa-chan? *coughspithackhairball* I know Haarii was just doing that to try to get Musashi on his side so he could convince her to join up with them, but that's just sort of disturbing. And Musashi's older than him. But how does he know Musashi's name? He's heard it, like, once. Then again, it could just seem amazing to me because I'm so bad with names...

The violin music in the beginning of the Haarii Fantasy (I'll rant about why I think it's a fantasy later) was really pretty, although like the music earlier in the episode it was a little overly dramatic. Then again, that was probably the point - to bring out Haarii's...err...emotions about the story. And speaking of the flashback...

"Itadakima~su!" I dunno, that's just my favorite word in Japanese. Anyhow, the little Haarii was so cute. I dunno why, he just was. It fits the character's personality very well. Some little five-year-old who talks to his food and gives it nicknames (Okutan-chan? What the heck?) has gotta be sickeningly adorable.

And...Am I alone in thinking Haarii has attachment issues? I mean, that little piece of Okutanku-shaped candy/food/sushi/seafood/whatever the heck it is was just that, but he went all ballistic when little miss Haruka lookalike took it from him. And man, did she look like Haruka. I thought she was Haruka for a minute. But that's not what I'm talking about here. >__< Anyhow, I thought that was very silly. Haarii's seiyuu must have cracked up when they read their lines for this scene.

That scene might have made a little sense if the girl had been Haruka. But she only looked like Haruka, so why is he so upset about that? It was such a little thing, but you all know Haarii and his super-insanity powers of DOOM! xD Of course, providing that actually happened to Haarii...More about that later, though.

Once the winners were announced, something strange happened. Something really strange.

Haarii said "kuso".

Seriously, that shocked me beyond my wits. In Pocket Monsters, people NEVER cuss. Sure, maybe someone had once or twice before, but it's extrmely rare. No doubt the editors will take that out once it gets into the US, but just the fact that it happened was quite surprising. Haarii getting a privilege means he's truly becoming a main character. BTW, "kuso" isn't that bad of a swear word in Japanese (I think it's the equivalent of the D-word in the US) but it still is out of place in Pocket Monsters.\

Post more later. This post was too long...

Chatsy
1st May 2006, 9:18 AM
Haarii said "kuso".

Seriously, that shocked me beyond my wits. In Pocket Monsters, people NEVER cuss. Sure, maybe someone had once or twice before, but it's extrmely rare. No doubt the editors will take that out once it gets into the US, but just the fact that it happened was quite surprising. Haarii getting a privilege means he's truly becoming a main character. BTW, "kuso" isn't that bad of a swear word in Japanese (I think it's the equivalent of the D-word in the US) but it still is out of place in Pocket Monsters.\

Post more later. This post was too long...
Satoshi said "Kuso" in the last episode too after Usokki smacked the Monster Ball back in his face.

Chris
1st May 2006, 9:20 AM
Uh..while kuso does translated exactly to "excrement," it has many usages. Darn, damn, crap and sh*t. In Pokemon's case, they shoot for darn and very rarely go for crap. Remember folks, Japanese words have many, many meanings, so it's not always what you think.

Had Satoshi said kusotare, THEN there's something to go nuts about. >_>;;

Faerie
2nd May 2006, 1:43 AM
Uh..while kuso does translated exactly to "excrement," it has many usages. Darn, damn, crap and sh*t. In Pokemon's case, they shoot for darn and very rarely go for crap. Remember folks, Japanese words have many, many meanings, so it's not always what you think.Eh. Well, according to my Japanese-English dictionary, "kuso" is the swear word and "shimatta" is darn. Of course, it's not as exact as asking someone who actually speaks Japanese, it still is pretty reliable. And I like ranting about stuff. Ranting is fun. *shrugs*

Plus, I just recently started watching the original Japanese series; I'm used to watching the super-censored dub, so I may have overreacted. Oh well.

Yamato-san
2nd May 2006, 6:27 AM
Harley didn't even say "kuso". He said "uso", which translates to "a lie", but could be used in the same context as "no way" (however, I can confirm that Satoshi did say "kuso" after looking at the scene again).

And Kojirou didn't call Harley "Noctus Man", nor "Noctus Guy". He said "Itsu kara Nokutasu tsukai!" (The Noctus-user from whenever!).

Lastly, Don Vito, it's "Octan", not "Tanne".

Geodude
2nd May 2006, 7:32 PM
Although one question how come Cacnea always hurts James when it hugs him but when Cacturne hugs her shes fine?
I'm assuming you didn't actually watch the episode...

http://www.geoscreens.com/teamrocket/ag173cacturnelikesjessie.jpg

This is what you call fine?

Sushi
2nd May 2006, 8:17 PM
Did anyone understand what Meowth was saying during his little speech at the Contest in Jessie's imagination? I know Jessie told him to tell a Kobanashi (funny short-story), but I couldn't understand a word of what he said. Quite a cute scene XD

Yamato-san
2nd May 2006, 9:01 PM
come to think of it, with both that imaginary appeal with Nyaasu, as well as Harley's school lunch, this episode seemed to use quite a bit of Japanese culture (compared to recent episodes, anyway). Someone must've got the idea that 4kids is no longer pushing them around. ^^

Faerie
3rd May 2006, 12:26 AM
Harley didn't even say "kuso". He said "uso", which translates to "a lie", but could be used in the same context as "no way" (however, I can confirm that Satoshi did say "kuso" after looking at the scene again).>__< I swear I heard him say kuso!

...Then again, I watched it online, so the sound quality might not have been that good.

EDIT: I know what uso means. xD

Lil Brother
3rd May 2006, 12:51 AM
Uso!

Sonansu!

Uso! >:O

Sonansu! >:O

Yay for jokes of the Japanese langauage that don't translate well in the dub!

Although they should have named Sudowoodo "Lywood" and Wobbuffet "Soitis" or something.

...yes, I know I'm off-topic. :P

Anyone know what Drew was saying when he was talking to himself? XD

Pokémon Guard
3rd May 2006, 12:54 AM
It would be funny if Jame's Cacnea evolved into Cacturne and then it got a crush on Harley's cacturne.

Then again, both of them appear to be male.

CyberCubed
3rd May 2006, 12:55 AM
Then again, both of them appear to be male.

That shouldn't stop one of Harley's Pokemon...

Pokémon Guard
3rd May 2006, 1:29 AM
Oh, yeah. It's HARLEY we're talking about. XP

He makes James seem... well... uh... tame, if you pardon my rudeness towards Rocketshippers.

Faerie
3rd May 2006, 2:27 AM
Oh, yeah. It's HARLEY we're talking about. XP

He makes James seem... well... uh... tame, if you pardon my rudeness towards Rocketshippers.Ahh, so we've sunk to the "Haarii is GAY!" discussion again. That's not what this thread is about ya know~.

erizibang
3rd May 2006, 3:39 AM
Hi!! i'm new so i was wondering if there's someone here who traduce the chapters ^^

Faerie
3rd May 2006, 4:00 AM
Hi!! i'm new so i was wondering if there's someone here who traduce the chapters ^^1) Traduce? What the heck is traduce?
2) There aren't chapters in an anime, my friend. This is the wrong thread to be posting in.

Kthleen
3rd May 2006, 7:41 AM
Can anyone tell what was going on between Haruka and Musashi when they talked together in the lobby before they were to make their appeals?
And what Haruka was thinking after everybody else in the room stared/glared at them, where she afterwards started smiling and giggling which provoked Musashi?I can't tell you everything that happened (I only understood a bit), but what I can tell you is that at the beginning, they were talking about meeting, but "it's not Musashi's principle to shake hands with a rival" and she says the ribbon's hers. Next, Haruka says she has four ribbons, and when everyone else looks at her, she realizes (and we hear her say that) everyone else has four ribbons, then she thinks "Everyone's condition is the same! So if I believe in my Pokémon as Satoshi said, we'll have fun!" or something like that.

It was funny when Musashi imitated the giggling when it cut to the commercials, and then she said something XDHaruka: *gigglegigglegiggle*
Musashi: *fakegigglegigglegiggle* "I'll smash her."

Also, what did Satoshi tell Haruka when they sat at the table talking at the start of this episode?When he says, "Dattara renshuu renshuu"? I can't seem to get all of it. What I do hear is, "Dattara renshuu renshuu! Batoru...nara oretachi makaserou!" or something like, "So [I]have to practice! If [something about battling], we can beat 'em!" Sorry I can't be of more help on this one. Maybe someone else can help you now that I've brought it back up.

What the heck is traduce?I have no doubt that it was an anglicism of a word from a Romance language that meant "to translate." The problem is that though they meant translate, the English word "traduce" actually means "to cause humiliation or disgrace to by making malicious and false statements; to malign".

erizibang, it's a false friend (http://www.answers.com/false%20friend) (faux ami). You want "translate" instead of "traduce". Also, for tv shows, you use the word "episode," not "chapter," in English.

erizibang
4th May 2006, 2:38 AM
yeah that's what i meant to say in the first place... i didn't know there would be so troublesome... :o (neither that there would be a meaning of that word) anyway... thanks for the translations... i will be looking for more ;)

Raevell
4th May 2006, 8:28 AM
Okay, so we still don't know yet whether Harley was just lying about his flashback with May or if the girl was just some look alike? I just assumed he was lying and going with the cliche victim act to win sympathy. Now I feel the need to listen to the dialogue a bit better to figure out what's happening. I mean, that little girl had May's voice also, not just her looks. It would be lame if she was some look alike. I don't want an older May clone running around!

Either way, that whole situation was hilarious. I wanna hug little Harley.

This was probably the worst animated episode I've seen which was a shame because the writing was so great. I wish we had gotten better visuals. But anyone else notice how exaggerated Harley's swaying was? Now, I did enjoy that.

I love Harley. I hope they keep him around. ^___^

ChaosMage
4th May 2006, 8:44 PM
OK, that is kinda scary. What are the odds that Ash, Max and now even May have clones...

Fiangard
5th May 2006, 3:18 AM
Maybe he remembers someone that ate his sushi, octopus, whatever it is >_>, then put May's head onto her through imagination...wait..does May have a mom @.@ It could be her mom maybe if she has one.

CyberCubed
5th May 2006, 3:27 AM
Maybe he remembers someone that ate his sushi, octopus, whatever it is >_>, then put May's head onto her through imagination...wait..does May have a mom @.@ It could be her mom maybe if she has one.

Yes, May's mother has been in several episodes in the series.

If you think Harley is the same age as her parents...I'm thinking no.

JazzJazz
5th May 2006, 7:05 AM
If you think Harley is the same age as her parents...I'm thinking no.

Of course not, he's clearly in his late teens or early twenties at best...

Fizban
5th May 2006, 7:19 AM
Caroline and Norman aren't exactly ancient. I'm not going to suggest teenage pregnancy, but I wouldn't place either over the age of 35.

Then it dawned on me that 35 in most anime/manga is totally ancient. That's llike ten times older than the main character usually is!

I kind of wish Harley had lent Jessie his Octillery. It is the only pokemon of his that hasn't done an appeal, and I would like to see how they'd pull one off with the weird movepool it has.

Faerie
6th May 2006, 4:04 AM
If you think Harley is the same age as her parents...I'm thinking no.Yes, totally. Haarii is probably about...what, sixteen, seventeen? He's probably not more than six years older than Haruka (whatever you say, she's NOT ten), although he is pretty tall. But as I mentioned earlier, there are some really tall people out there. I know fifth graders over five feet tall. Yup.

And he doesn't act like he's an adult. Young adult, sure, but not Haruka's parent's age. He doesn't act like he's any age, actually...>__>;

dark trainer
8th September 2006, 11:52 AM
he hates her because of that lol what a sad person but i though he was about brocks age but she doesnt look or act ten but she is and harleys about 6 foot and people in pokemoon dont age that fast but if watch the simpsons you know cartoons dont age

Pokemonger49777
27th October 2006, 8:22 PM
Oh, god. Are Team Rocket or Harley ever gonna give up? It's like watching a Magikarp trying to hump a doorknob :P

eonteam123456
17th November 2006, 8:14 AM
Did U See Combuskens Fire Spin?!

Rizadon
17th November 2006, 3:40 PM
it figures harley hates her, I'd be mad too if some one ate my octopus!

WaterDragon trainer
30th November 2006, 1:31 AM
This episode was pretty good. Harley was really obnoxious in the beginning. Not really impressive, but at least it was good to see Cut in the anime. It was awesome to see the truth behind May messing up in the beginning.

Mandi.
30th November 2006, 1:34 AM
I could have sworn when May looked up when the fire spin was going up, that she said "What the hell?" xD I know she didn't, but it really sounded like she did.

But anyways, this was a very great episode. Of course Harley made me laugh, especially at the beginning with May. "I love you too, sweetie." xD He was awesome.

The rest of the episode was good too, but especially the parts Harley.

Mythic Mist
30th November 2006, 1:35 AM
Love <3

Much character interaction made this one of the better contest episodes, if not THE best so far.

PikamasterADV
30th November 2006, 1:41 AM
When Harley said that he and Jessie were soul mates, I got the jibblies...

I think I still have some... ajibbliejibbliejibbliejibbliejibblie.....

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th November 2006, 1:42 AM
"MY WEBS ARE FLAMING!

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF UNDERHANDEDNESS!"

Dude, the script was awesome.

S.Suikun
30th November 2006, 4:31 AM
"If it isn't May and her little boy-toys!"
"I love you too, sweetie!"
"The stinky little stink stole my snackie!"
"Hold onto your dress!"
"My pretty webs are flaming!"
"You losers are so laughably lame you let that other loser win!"

Ya know, if there's any episodes that the dub actually improves upon, it's the Harley ones.

raticatelover
30th November 2006, 4:34 AM
I could have sworn when May looked up when the fire spin was going up, that she said "What the hell?" xD I know she didn't, but it really sounded like she did.
QFT i totally thought she said that as well.

Drew's line at the end was hilarious.
"Guess it had to be done." Drew sounded like he was saying how the writers had to add her to the top 8.

Freya
30th November 2006, 4:34 AM
just finished it on CN...D-I-S-U-R-B-E-D by th part with young Harley is that historically acurate or did Harley make that up to get appeal from TR??? I liked the Script though better than other alot better I like harleys character hope he goes against Hikari in D/P doubt it will happen tho

S.Suikun
30th November 2006, 5:09 AM
just finished it on CN...D-I-S-U-R-B-E-D by th part with young Harley is that historically acurate or did Harley make that up to get appeal from TR??? I liked the Script though better than other alot better I like harleys character hope he goes against Hikari in D/P doubt it will happen tho
A) If you look back at this thread, it's presumably a story considering how May was first met by Harley on a boat. However, it could very well be a look-alike.
B) Harley's in Johto. No way he'll go up against Hikari.

Darkness Angel
30th November 2006, 6:25 AM
This was a decent eppy.

Reign G
30th November 2006, 10:35 AM
It was a;right, but I've neer been one for Harley. But, did anyone else notice when Combusken's Fire Spin was going up the Web, May said "What the Hell?" Tsk, tsk, PUSA. Children watch this show.

Medea
30th November 2006, 11:18 AM
HOLY CRACK!

That was awsome. I'm still getting used to Harley's new voice, but he was just so cool. Just the way he talks and the way he walks, you're just begging for him to come out of the closet...SHUT UP! And of course, young Harley, just so adorable. Oh God, the way that Harley walked off after yelling at Team Rocket, well as I say, if you got it flaunt it. And Harley just has those backs that don't stop! Oh yes, at the end when Jessie spoke at the end, "Stay Tuned" was by far one of the creepiest things I've heard in a while.

Great episode. It had Harley and it had Drew. It was so worth staying up.

old guard truthseeker
30th November 2006, 12:00 PM
It was a;right, but I've neer been one for Harley. But, did anyone else notice when Combusken's Fire Spin was going up the Web, May said "What the Hell?" Tsk, tsk, PUSA. Children watch this show.

There is no way that would end up in a Pokemon script. At any point in the chain. There are so many checks and balances along the way, and knowing the scriptwriter, he prides himself on never saying anything vulgar. Now as far as layered humor...

S.Suikun
30th November 2006, 3:08 PM
To anyone who recorded this episode - Rewatch it with closed captions to see if May truly said "What the hell" or if we were all mishearing things.

Mandi.
30th November 2006, 4:00 PM
But, did anyone else notice when Combusken's Fire Spin was going up the Web, May said "What the Hell?" Tsk, tsk, PUSA. Children watch this show.

xD I doubt she really said that. But a lot of people seem to have think she said that.

If she really did...I love PUSA for that. xD

Freya
1st December 2006, 12:38 AM
Im aware hes in johto...just sayying it would be cool

Geodude
1st December 2006, 2:47 AM
Wow, I just listened to it several times...somehow I never noticed it the first time around, but a pretty good case could be made for May saying, "What the hell?" But of course what she really said was, "But how?" I think what happened was that a note from the background music made it in between those two words and made it sound like "the". That and/or the way she pronounced the words...

MandySue
1st December 2006, 2:51 AM
XD, Heh, What May actually said was " but how?" I checked the cc XD ah it would have been funny if she had slipped something like that out =P

As for the episode, Harley was awesome as always. I'm getting used to his voice :3 He had some great lines in this :D. His skills at manipulating people was shown in this episode with his little 'childhood memory'.

Drew was in it which is always nice (even if he only had a few seconds of air time) =P

Overall a 9/10

Edit: Heh, guess this post was a little late (Geodude answered the question about what May said)

Knight_Ram
2nd December 2006, 9:51 AM
This episode was a decient one... bit of a language muck up lol! Like with Harley saying 'Oops she falled down'

May pretty much flucked the whole start of the contest.. either that or the other co-ordinaters just straight up suck. And plus, during the whole contest. At the start when Jessie was talking to May and May said she was going for her 5th ribbon and all the people looked at May and Jessie... Who would really pull a pose and face like that?

Pretty ok I guess...7/10

Jorah
3rd December 2006, 4:20 PM
Loved this episode! But who couldn't - it has Harley in :D

Random: Am I the only one that is getting annoyed with the judge who keeps saying "remarkable"? He says it every contest episode and it makes me flinch everytime he says it...XD And May definatly said "But how?" her tone doesn't sound right for "What the hell?" anyway.

Geodude
3rd December 2006, 4:52 PM
In the Japanese version, he always says the same thing as well: "Ya suki desu ne," which means, "I like it." The rare time he's expressed a negative opinion it's been, "Suki ja nai desu ne," which means, "I don't like it."

Knight_Ram
5th December 2006, 11:41 PM
In the Japanese version, he always says the same thing as well: "Ya suki desu ne," which means, "I like it." The rare time he's expressed a negative opinion it's been, "Suki ja nai desu ne," which means, "I don't like it."

Lol! It sounds like pocketmonsters is on a tight budget since they have the judges repeting the same words over and over again. It doesnt really matter though, its still a really good show. All IMO.

Pokemon Fan
6th December 2006, 3:24 AM
This episode was a decient one... bit of a language muck up lol! Like with Harley saying 'Oops she falled down'
I think that was intentional, just to add more ditzy flair to Harley's words.

May pretty much flucked the whole start of the contest.. either that or the other co-ordinaters just straight up suck.
Well they did indicate she got extra points because she recovered so quickly and because of how impressive the Fire Spin ended up being (thanks to Ariados's webs supporting the flames).

Musapion
6th December 2006, 10:18 AM
Um, he's the only one who repeats that line. ^^; The others say different things.
It's a gag.

The Fire Spin did look pretty swirling up like that. ^_^

WaterDragon trainer
9th December 2006, 2:34 PM
Wow, I just listened to it several times...somehow I never noticed it the first time around, but a pretty good case could be made for May saying, "What the hell?" But of course what she really said was, "But how?" I think what happened was that a note from the background music made it in between those two words and made it sound like "the". That and/or the way she pronounced the words...

I can honestly say that I have pretty good hearing so I decided to watch this episode again to hear if May REALLY did say "What the hell?" After listening closely, I actually heard her say that. I'm serious.

CyberCubed
9th December 2006, 3:44 PM
Someone put that scene up on youtube so I can hear what May said.

In any case, Harley's lines are bloody brillaint. He gets the best dialouge in the show, and PUSA really knows how to do him well.

Geodude
9th December 2006, 7:41 PM
Here, I made a sound clip of it. (http://www.geoscreens.com/may/ag174buthow.wav)

CyberCubed
9th December 2006, 8:19 PM
Heh, I see what people were saying now.

I heard it as, "But how?" when I watched it on TV very easily, but now that I'm listening to it again, I can hear, "What the hell?" kinda too. :p

Funny.

Freya
9th December 2006, 10:59 PM
I heard But how...not what the Hell? WTH would have been hilarious...tsk tsk tsk PUSA tricking Serebii members into thinking you say shameful language...

EDIT: after hearing Geodudes sound clip it sounds like what the hell but its high pitched and makes her sound like a valley girl if you make yourslef thinks its What the hell but yeahs its But how...

old guard truthseeker
9th December 2006, 11:09 PM
Heh, I see what people were saying now.

I heard it as, "But how?" when I watched it on TV very easily, but now that I'm listening to it again, I can hear, "What the hell?" kinda too. :p

Funny.

I called the scriptwriter about this, and he confirmed May's saying "But how?!" However, it does sounds like 'what the hell'...Pretty funny!

Jonouchi
9th December 2006, 11:11 PM
When I saw this episode the first time, I heard "But how?!" I only heard "The hell?!" after you guys mentioned it =P

wobbanut
12th December 2006, 3:00 AM
What I liked best about this episode is that it had a milestone that made me excited. I've been keeping track of how many times Team Rocket have said the twerps' names over the years, and this episode had a major milestone- May's name has now been said by ALL THREE Rockets. What makes it important is that no other twerp up until this point, not even ASH, has been called by name by Jessie, James, and Meowth. :) Of course, Ash reaches the milestone too in "Going for Choke" as James finally calls him by name, but I find it awesome since the trio have called the twerps by name a total of, like, 15 times in 450 dub episodes. Now I'm waiting for someone to finally call Brock by name, since even Tracey and Misty were named by Butch and Cassidy. Poor Brock, he never gets the recognition. :( You'd think after 400 episodes on the show, ONE Rocket would call him by name.

Anyway, I'm still no fan of Harley, but I thought it was neat that he teamed up with Jessie this time around. Cacturne having a crush on Jessie was adorable. :) It's too bad that Jessie didn't use cacturne for the battle part of the contest, she could have gotten a win over May even with Squirtle's ice beam. :( The flashback with Harley was just too bizarre. It was great to see Drew again too. I liked James saying that Jessie's dressed like a popsicle too. LOL

Overall, 7.5/10.

Igottapoo
19th January 2009, 10:27 PM
New plot? Not really. Well I guess the plot is new but the idea is still the same. Harley hates May and continues to lie to her about it. How boring.

CyberCubed
19th January 2009, 11:01 PM
New plot? Not really. Well I guess the plot is new but the idea is still the same. Harley hates May and continues to lie to her about it. How boring.

The plot of this episode had nothing to do with Harley lying to May.

Rommath
4th February 2009, 1:48 PM
Nice episode. One of the better Kanto contest episodes, in my opinion. We find out why Harley hates May so much, apart from the cookies and her comments and lack of knowledge about Cacturne. Jessie using Cacturne was great, as well as Cacturne's crush on Jessie. Brock's still the "big twerp", it appears. Surprised Harley teamed up Team Rocket when he thought they were losers, but I suppose they do have a mutual hatred of the "twerps", especially May.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 11:30 AM
it was a good episode, the fire spin was a cool sight to see, 8/10.

cg_25
19th June 2009, 11:45 PM
Harley is a character, and revealing the whole reason why he hates may... that boy toy deserved for his 'snakies' to be eaten. LMAO!

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 12:09 PM
Good episode, but the animation was bad.

And Jessie was mean, especially when she took Harley's pokemon..

6/10

Lorde
2nd February 2010, 12:45 AM
Well at least we got to the last contest. I was disappointed that Harley himself wasn't May's main rival but that Jessie stepped in to fight May.

Jessie and James taking orders from Harley was odd, I mean, I've always thought Team Rocket and Harley had something in common but this was crazy. Jessie even used Harley's typical Pokemon for this Contest.

I think it was Harley just playing with both Team Rocket and May. Very sinister. 9/10

Willow's Tara
30th May 2010, 5:27 AM
Was an interesting episode, Jessie working with Harley.

What's so weird is that why would you walk up to a stranger and just take their food like that? Assuming that May barely knows Harley when they were little, regardless of how old they are May really must not know any manners if she does that. I can understand Harley's point of view, plus I always leave the best for last when I am eating, if I got a favorite food I leave it to eat last.

How old is Harley anyway? There is no way he is the same age as May, he looks about into his twenties so how are they the same age as kids? (Unless Harley started out real short and had to be kept down a grade or so).

Lance The Champ
20th December 2010, 1:47 PM
Harley is so desperate to stop May... but confiding to Jessie was funny. Did Harley know that Jessie did not win a single ribbon? If he did then he wouldn't have given Jessie his pokemon for defeating May

Painkiller2001
3rd January 2011, 5:06 PM
If Harley was this desperate to stop May in this final contest, I wonder what he has (if anything) planned for the Grand Festival?

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but, In one scene, I could have sworn it sounded like Moewth said "Jesus!" at one point. You know, how like some people go, "oh, Jesus...!"

G50
26th April 2011, 4:49 PM
This episode was good. Harley was definitely up to no good in this episode. He teamed up with TR to mess up May's Appeal Round. The childhood story about the Octillery shaped food, and May taking it as the reason Harley hated May was a bit odd. It was great to see May being able to get passed the Appeal Round, even with Harley trying so hard to mess everything up.

69/100

couplesupporter
11th June 2011, 4:35 AM
Yes, totally. Haarii is probably about...what, sixteen, seventeen? He's probably not more than six years older than Haruka (whatever you say, she's NOT ten), although he is pretty tall. But as I mentioned earlier, there are some really tall people out there. I know fifth graders over five feet tall. Yup.

And he doesn't act like he's an adult. Young adult, sure, but not Haruka's parent's age. He doesn't act like he's any age, actually...>__>;

To be honest I think he's 17, while May is 10 [about to turn 11], would seem more... right

Littlemyuu
14th June 2011, 1:44 AM
the episode was okay..not the best..but still worth watching

Vernikova
21st September 2012, 7:38 PM
Harley was pretty enjoyable this episode. He was creatively cunning and made the contest more enjoyable to watch.

PokemontrainerY
2nd August 2013, 2:07 PM
This was an interesting episode. Harley, as always called May's friends 'her boy toys'. I can see why Harley hates May ..... but still, she was not the girl who stole Harley's food.
I liked it when Harley held Jessie's hands, causing her to blush.

It was a cheap move when Harley and James are Tripping May and her Combusken, but it's nice that she passed the appeal round at the end.