PDA

View Full Version : The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon! (---)

Pages : 1 [2]

Flame Haze SnS
30th April 2006, 12:50 AM
Imagine if Ho-oh had shown up in the memory thingy (Did it?) and Ash said "I told you" to Oak.

Very funny...-_-; But he saw it far from the ground so it's hard to see the full body of Ho-oh...

It cannot be confirmed whether Dr. Yung is dead or not. There's no evidence to it.

Kamex
30th April 2006, 12:52 AM
Well, the voices absolutely sucked, but what do I think about the plot of the special? It was actually pretty bad, but if the voices had been kept than it would have been okay, I guess.

Looks like Max and May (and Brock kinda) were all over the special. I still don't understand the point of Misty being there. Her voice was the closest imitation, I think, so maybe they thought it would make them look better. O_o

Dr. Yung being the Mirage Master or whatever was actually pretty surprising to me. I guess there had to be something interesting about this special.

Mewtwo owning everyone with ten attacks at a time was mildly interesting. But its monster-like growls were terrible compared to the human-like voice the normal one has. Well, it could have something to do with it being a mirage Pokemon with crazy power, or something.

This special wasn't that big of a deal, overall. 7/10.

stigy
30th April 2006, 12:59 AM
This episode gets a 1/10, only because they tried.

Animation : Pretty average except for the ending with Mewtwo. Other than that, there were some VERY choppy parts, like when Ash/May were being carried off by the Mirage-mon, or when the things were exploding. 3/10

Plot : One word : PLOTHOLES. This episode was riddled with them. And everything was SO cliche. 2/10

Voice Acting : It SUCKED WIND. No enthsiasm or emotion in the voices. May sounds like shes forty. Ash and Brock sound like they have a lung disease. Oak sounds like he breathed in some helium. The only ones that stood up to the test were Misty and Pikachu. I also miss the old voice of Mew from Mewtwo Strikes back. The one in this episode sounds like it's choking on a rock. -5/10

DIE PUSA DIE!

Wes
30th April 2006, 1:00 AM
DIE PUSA DIE!

....The Japanese made it....>_>

The Great Butler
30th April 2006, 1:01 AM
May *always* does things right

WOOOOOOOOWWWWW. I echo the sentiment a few posts down from this: Mary-Sue. Thanks for giving me a reason to dislike May even more. :rolleyes:

I'll look forward to the bios and episode pics, Serebii. For now, I'm done with this rubbish since I'm feeling a bit outcast because I loved the special minus the voices. Just drop me a PM or something when you've got the bios and pics ready, 'kay Joe?

Raevell
30th April 2006, 2:16 AM
Ha, I haven't read over all the comments but I'm starting to think I'm the only one who really enjoyed this special.

For one we got some nice character interaction, no one was really standing around being useless, (like Brock standing in the background while Ash did his thing, like has often been the case, you know) they paid attention to all of the characters so I didn't feel like anyone got ditched, really. Besides Max anyway. I really liked the fact that they followed up on Brock talking to Jenny rather than just having him show up at the end with her and her crew of cops. May got a nice scene of bravery rather than just casting her off to the side like I was very concerned about them doing. Everything flowed together really nicely and there wasn't a single area of the plot I felt they abandoned like is the case with a few episodes I've seen.

Everyone played a nice part in it and I loved how involved the human characters were. Sometimes they just focus on the Pokemon too much for my tastes and the characters become so monotonous in some episodes. Everyone seemed dynamic to me in this episode which I loved.

I felt there was a nice conclusion at the end. I felt satisfied, like the episode was complete, I didn't feel like their should have been more to it. Their was an opening for a sequel but it wasn't like, "Why are they ending it there?!"

I loved the May and Misty interaction and the fact that May saved her. Someone said something about Ash not showing enough concern about Misty but that never happens unless it's Pikachu. Look at the Eighth movie for evidence of this. May, Max, and Brock all "die" and all Ash does is look disappointed when he's informed of their fates.

Uh...original? Yeah, like having Ash going around for nine freakin' seasons collecting badges/symbols, meeting many random characters with dilemmas is original. Come one, guys, you're being way too harsh with this point about it not being original enough.

And also considering that this was supposedly created by American's (though check the credits, there are a whole lot of Japanese people listed) everyone was kept in character. I was very surprised about that.

Actually I'm sad to say this special kept my interest better than any episode has as of recently. I didn't fast foward through any of it. I'm hoping for a follow up.

Solar Crimson
30th April 2006, 2:17 AM
Ahh... this special was decent enough, but May with Squirtle was a bit of a surprise for me, mainly because I haven't seen the dub in a while now (because of my job, I missed the Hoenn League and everything afterwards).

I can't believe that Ash forgot about Misty when she fell. What kind of friend are you?! The clips from the movies were a nice addition, though. But this was surprisingly violent for Pokémon, especially the Mirage Mewtwo. Also, and someone else said this in another thread, Mewtwo sounded like Ganondorf in SSBM when he did his war cry. Mew's "death," that was sad. Digimon galore, though. Dr. Yung being the Mirage Master, I saw that coming. And it was nice to hear some silent scenes. Had it been 4Kids, it would be low quality MIDIs throughout the episode.

I won't comment on the voiced here, though. But I agree with what the majority of the people said here.

Overall: 7/10

The Great Butler
30th April 2006, 2:22 AM
Ha, I haven't read over all the comments but I'm starting to think I'm the only one who really enjoyed this special.

You are not alone.........this special held my interest a lot more than say, the Grand Festival or the Hoenn League.......Glalie and Clark (that random guy with the Quilava and Charizard) were the only things I liked about said League......(EDIT) Okay, Kaede too. But still.

I think Yung was a great villain, too. He certainly was one of the more wicked characters we've seen in a long time (don't say Harley....he's only evil to people he doesn't like, and has no dreams of ruling the world like Yung did)

Raevell
30th April 2006, 2:23 AM
I can't believe that Ash forgot about Misty when she fell. What kind of friend are you?!

Pokemon has never been great when it goes to characters showing concern for other characters. Ash always freaks out when it comes to Pikachu, May freaks when it comes to Max... But most of the time other's are forgotten. It's one of my major annoyances with Pokemon, the lack of concern that the human characters have for their human friends.

Edit:

You are not alone.........this special held my interest a lot more than say, the Grand Festival or the Hoenn League.......Glalie and Clark (that random guy with the Quilava and Charizard) were the only things I liked about said League......

I think Yung was a great villain, too. He certainly was one of the more wicked characters we've seen in a long time (don't say Harley....he's only evil to people he doesn't like, and has no dreams of ruling the world like Yung did)

Glad to hear it. I was starting to think I was the only one. And I agree completely about Yung. Harley isn't evil, he's just misunderstood. ;) There aren't many really evil human characters on Pokemon so it was nice to see one who was twisted and didn't learn his lesson in the end.

TheTurquoiseTauros!
30th April 2006, 2:24 AM
i dont know why everyone hated mews voice?? it was veerryy cute!!

BUT EVERYTHINGELSEABOUTITIHATED!!!!

halloweenghost
30th April 2006, 2:26 AM
I really liked the special and heck I didn't think the voices were that bad..they need work but I'm sure they will be fine in time.

It was sad when mew was deleted so to say :P

Pikachu
30th April 2006, 2:39 AM
You sure Dr. Yung commited suicide? For all we know, he could have used underground stairs that were under his lab and used that to escape.

The Great Butler
30th April 2006, 2:42 AM
You sure Dr. Yung commited suicide? For all we know, he could have used underground stairs that were under his lab and used that to escape.

True, true, but still.......this was a guy insane enough to waste his life developing a system to create Pokémon out of thin air, then insane enough to turn his nose up at a Mew even if it did result from some malfunction in his system. It wouldn't be wholly out of his character for him to have just jumped into the fire, and that look in his eyes right before he turned and went back in.....creepy. Those eyes had the look of a man on the brink.

Kamex
30th April 2006, 2:55 AM
True, true, but still.......this was a guy insane enough to waste his life developing a system to create Pokémon out of thin air, then insane enough to turn his nose up at a Mew even if it did result from some malfunction in his system. It wouldn't be wholly out of his character for him to have just jumped into the fire, and that look in his eyes right before he turned and went back in.....creepy. Those eyes had the look of a man on the brink.
But he said something about wanting to try to fix up the mirage system. I don't think he was intending on dying.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
30th April 2006, 2:58 AM
But he said something about wanting to try to fix up the mirage system. I don't think he was intending on dying.
He walked into a burning exploding castle. If thats not an intent do die, nothing is

The Great Butler
30th April 2006, 3:02 AM

I got the feeling he was just shooting his mouth off at that point, and thus didn't take it literally. Maybe he was so insane at that point he simply decided he didn't care anymore and went in with the notion of fixing the system on his tongue, but deep down really intending to finish himself off before the cops got him.

King Shuckle
30th April 2006, 3:22 AM
The special was interesting. I will not comment on the voices. It's good to see the narrator guy from the past come back. Max's voice sounded the same.

I just wonder if that one comment James made had any meaning.

"At least we're consistant." Hmmm....

Possible Goof: When Misty saw Mew right away, she recognized it. But how could she have recognized it when in the first movie, they don't remember anything that happened with Mew and Mewtwo? Oh well.

Darkstorm16
30th April 2006, 3:23 AM
First of all let me say this. If it wasn't for this site I would be wondering how did Pikachu learn Volt Tackle?But then again all of us on here knows the answer to that but you get the point. Second What was the deal with Brock's VA? It did not even sound closer than Jessie or Max's. Third, this one must have taken place after the 8th movie so why didn't we get to see a Lucario Mirage? Obvisouly this special probably takes place at some point after the Battle Frontier or in the middle between Battle Pike and Battle Palace. The Mirage Master does look familiar *cough*latest episodes of Yugioh *cough*. Lastly the story was mediocre but entertainable but it was the voice actors who ruined it for me.

HoennMaster
30th April 2006, 3:45 AM
The plot was good but the voices, horrible, completly horrible! Plus, Squritle's arms were like shrunken. I got ****** off that Brock did nothing but talk and flirt with Jenny & Joy. No Pokemon for him and Ash, May, & Misty only showed two pokemon. Oh well, I liked it except for those horrible 'sound-alike" voices sound-alike, bull****!

EmbersBackUpSinger
30th April 2006, 4:28 AM
was it good?
i was busy...

halloweenghost
30th April 2006, 4:44 AM
I beleive this special was suppost to take place after pikachu learned volt tackle, also max and may seemed to know mew, which also suggests it takes place after the next movie.

"Oh well, I liked it except for those horrible 'sound-alike" voices sound-alike, bull****!"

they sounded like sound alikes to me..what did you expect them to sound EXACTLY like the old voices?

S.Suikun
30th April 2006, 4:49 AM
Whether he died or not is irrelevant in the long run. The fact of the matter is that we will never see him again, anyways.

Heat Man
30th April 2006, 5:30 AM
Aggron cannot learn Bullet Seed or Thunder Wave

O RLY?

The one who creates the script is only half-right.

This whole special was funny, mostly because of Ash's new voice.

TwilightFacade
30th April 2006, 5:43 AM
Oh dear, what to say about this special that hasn't been already said..............staryu!! Hooray for it returning.

My thoughts:
Well I had the same idea for a special for this before it was even announced. (I'm psychic) However they handled it very poorly. Loopholes were plentiful. (How does anyone beside TR, Ash, Misty, Giovanni and Brock know about Mewtwo anyway) Well only 5 legendaries were shown not including flashbacks which sucked out loud. :( I wanted to hurt Ash the entire time. He showed no care for Misty, lost all battling skills, and pushed Pikachu too hard when he had 4 other pokemon ready for battle. I loved Max and Brock's roles....absolutely nothing. Basically what they have been doing all of AG. We need a new group next region...I can't stand these voices. Good to see Oak get spotlight and get some Misty-May interaction. The Mirage Master was Dr. Yung.....how original. Mew was cute.
Anyways this gets a 3/10 from me....worse than most fillers.

PS: NO BAYLEEF!!! I was waiting for it the entire time and it was halfway over with until I realized it wasn't gonna show. :@

Serebii
30th April 2006, 2:30 PM
Pics are up on the site now...715 of them

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
30th April 2006, 2:49 PM
.....Anyone else find it odd that Articuno and Zapdos appeared, but Moltres didn't? I don't really see a problem with Moltres, as it's basically the same Pokémon as Articuno and Zapdos in the animé, but with a different Type. I'm not complaining about Entei, but it seems kinda strange to me.....

At first, I thought the same about Cradily not appearing with its prehistoric counterparts, but then I remembered it would have difficulty running after Ash and co. :p

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Torkoal Stu
30th April 2006, 2:54 PM
.....Anyone else find it odd that Articuno and Zapdos appeared, but Moltres didn't? I don't really see a problem with Moltres, as it's basically the same Pokémon as Articuno and Zapdos in the animé, but with a different Type. I'm not complaining about Entei, but it seems kinda strange to me.....
Weird yeah, but the other Legendary Beasts didn't appear so I guess some made the cut and others didn't. C Blizz that also brings up the point Tracey and Elm appeared by Birch didn't, you know the other Prof's did. So I guess Cradily, Moltres and Birch weren't good enough :p

The_Mighty_Medicham
30th April 2006, 2:55 PM
I actually didn't think the special was all that bad. But towards the end they sort of rushed things. I looked at the clock, thinking it was 10:30 eastern time but it was actually 10:45. I was like "They didn't have the big battle or have Mew do something big yet!" The voices weren't all that bad, if they are to be the new ones I could probably live. But some I didn't like that much.

Like: Oak, Misty, May, and Jessie <= with all but May I could hardly tell them apart
Dislike: Ash - way too kid-like. Brock - sounded way too old and rough, almost what I pictured Brandon's voice might be. James - too nasaly and whiny for my taste. Meowth - don't know, just didn't like it
Meh: Max

Oh, and with the battling against Mewtwo I was like "You guys have more than one PokeMon, use them!"

♥Princess Ketchum♥
30th April 2006, 2:59 PM
i cant wait to watch it xD It looks amazing

Dreamcoat
30th April 2006, 3:40 PM
Right, just rewatched it and found some things I disliked about it:

-The voices:
*They'll haunt my dreams forever..

-Battle against Mewtwo:
*Ash must have been seriously damaged. Iron Tail against a fire attack? Wtf?
*Ash being all "OMGOSH PIKACHU, ATTACK MEWTWO!" when the thing is as good as done. Last time I checked he had several other, maybe even stronger, PKMN with him..
*After trying with several PKMN and attacks, all that was needed to take out Mewtwo was a single Volt Tackle from Pikachu? Geesh..

-Mew:
*It recieved some major damage after a Thundershock from a mere Magnemite and neither could it fight, yet it could return after being destroyed and 'damage' Metwo with ease?

-The ending:
*Everyone going "Wow, Mew was like the best!" sure ruined the whole thing..

skarmachild
30th April 2006, 4:08 PM
Short summary:
Music: Japanese BGM's, good. Intro rivals Chronicles
Voices: Misty - good, May - bad, Ash - bad, Brock - bad, Jessie - good, Oak - got better, Yung - mediocre
Plot: Bad
Animation: Above average
Violence: Lots
Rating: 6/10
Opinion: Change voices.

GreenKirby
30th April 2006, 4:38 PM
It's nice to see Misty again. She was great in the show. I wish AZsh had to save her and not May. The special was actaully pretty good aside from the voices and Combusken getting to appear (even though I liked it when he was battered by Mirages).

Storywise, why must PokemonUSA/4kids/whoever made this constantly glorify Misty?

She's the one who gets a full battle against Aggron, gets to go with Ash inside the castle (while May and Max have to wait outside...wtf?), and is essentially the best battler.

Also, what in the world was May's, "Looks like I can do something right," line about when rescuing Misty?

Does PokemonUSA really think Misty must be constantly glorified and that May isn't as important as her, when the actual series says the exact opposite? This Misty glorification is highly irritating, thank god the Japanese writers don't do things like this.

When May gets a whole ending devoted to only her, that's fine. But when Misty gets more spotlight in a US exclusive special when she is no longer a main character anymore, it's a crime. That's definately not fanboyism there. :rolleyes:

Ashy Boy
30th April 2006, 4:46 PM
I don't know if it's true but Dr. Yung seemed to have similar motives of manipulating pokemon to that of Professors Nanba and Sebastian of Team Rocket.

Anon e Mouse Jr.
30th April 2006, 5:02 PM
Weird yeah, but the other Legendary Beasts didn't appear so I guess some made the cut and others didn't. C Blizz that also brings up the point Tracey and Elm appeared by Birch didn't, you know the other Prof's did. So I guess Cradily, Moltres and Birch weren't good enough :p

Actually, I'm fairly certain I saw Birch right before Elm. I think Professor Ivy was left out though.

Eddieursa
30th April 2006, 5:04 PM
One question, which was the impression of Ash and the others when they saw Mewtwo?. I mean, could it be something like this?:

+ Ash: No way!. It's Mewtwo!!.
+ Prof. Oak: Mewtwo?. What kind of Pokemon is that?.

And by the way, if there's more people now (besides Ash and co.) who know the existence of Mewtwo, that mean we could see him again soon?. (And I mean the REAL Mewtwo).

Mirai Mirai
30th April 2006, 5:05 PM
I just saw and heard the opening. Wow. Rap? o__o What were they thinking?

skarmachild
30th April 2006, 5:16 PM
Hmm, 2nd opinion.
Brocks voice is bad still, Max's I could live with, May still older. Ash's aint too bad, but needs to show a bit more emotion. He sounds a bit like Richie to me. Jessie not bad, James, waaay too posh. Meowth, almost the same as before.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
30th April 2006, 5:31 PM
I Cant wait to watch soon xD And is it any good?

Colosseum Heroine 1991
30th April 2006, 9:37 PM
The special didn't really live up to my expectations, but it was pretty good anyway. During the opening rap I was like, "Ah! It burns my ears! Turn it off!" I kinda wished it was a bit longer because it seemed like it only lasted 30 minutes to me. The main plot was pretty good in my opinion. This special could've been a WHOLE lot better with the old voice actors. I was complaining about the voice actors most of the time while I was watching it. Though I have many complaints, I'll still watch it about a million times as I do with every other Pokemon movie or special I have on video and I definately think it was worth watching.

EDIT: Just something I forgot to mention... There was kinda a plot hole in the special. How did Dr. Yung know about Mewtwo? Not even Prof. Oak knew about Mewtwo! Only Ash, Misty, Brock, and their pokemon at the time of Mewtwo Returns know about him, and they promised that they wouldn't tell anyone else.

Gaiash
30th April 2006, 11:11 PM
And by the way, if there's more people now (besides Ash and co.) who know the existence of Mewtwo, that mean we could see him again soon?. (And I mean the REAL Mewtwo).
Good point.

Anyway this Special has been both annoying and an insparation to me.

I have got a parody comic planned, there won't be isults of the voices (Though Ash will say "Whoa! I appear to have hit puberty") just my typical crossover comic style humor and 4th wall breaking.

Also if I ever finish my Pokemon/Harry Potter crossover I will make a sequel that includes Dr. Yung as the Pokemon Villian with his Mirage program.

What annoys me are little things like the following;

1) Ash isn't ment the one to suggest spliting up, its ot like him
2) May should have said something along the lines of "You can count on me" whe saving Misty rather than the line that obviously means something.

ImJessieTR
1st May 2006, 6:19 AM
My notes:

1. worst. intro. song. ever.
2. Ash was way out of character too many times
3. at least when Yung siphoned Pika's memories there were no Mewtwo Strikes Back clips -- at least the writers weren't that retarded
4. Dr. Yung's comments on Mewtwo make absolutely no sense -- although he could have seen Mewtwo flying around, hacked into Gio's computers, looked at Bill's door ... lol
5. I really dug the violent PK battle scenes -- this made the special watchable
6. I was kinda hoping MM would be revealed to be Setau Kaiba -- at least then the whole hologram-battle monster plot would be a funnier blatant ripoff of YGO concepts.

Mamoru
1st May 2006, 6:40 AM
The credits state the writer as one Shinzo Fujita. It's also under the "Japanese Production" part of the credits. So yeah, it was written in Japan.

I know this is going back rather a good amount of pages, but I just wanted to quickly add in something here. At 42:25 in the video, there's a credit for "Script Translation". The translation group is well known for translating video games from Japanese to English.

moonlit_flames
1st May 2006, 6:58 AM
First off, the intro was terrible. The voices were just...strange. But it seemed that most of the time, they didn't seem exited, more like bored. The plot was kinda bad. Mew was anoying, its voice was really weird too.

Mika_Coyote
1st May 2006, 1:09 PM
In my opinion... The voices are not that bad, they just need some more actual acting. As for the special itself... It was enjoyable, but now I'm vaccinated against Prof. Yung and the likes of him. I swear, I felt like he was meddling in things he shouldn't. There were a load of times where I just wanted to shout "Why don't you just SHUT UP" at him. O_o Personally, I didn't like the whole Mirage System idea, I think the writers could have come up with a better idea for a 10th year celebration. It was interesting, but not my cup of tea.

Overall... (short summary form by skarmachild)
Music: Good, Japanese music. Deoxys's theme caught my ear.
Voices: Not bad. Need some acting lessons, but they're not that bad.
Plot: Interesting and intense. Not that I liked it, though.
Animation: Better than in regular episodes.
Violence: Loads of it.
Rating: 7/10
Opinion: Not bad, but I didn't like it that much(see above).

Carina
1st May 2006, 1:21 PM
Hmm..It had a pretty good theme. The whole mirage and anti-digital Pokemon thing reinforces the whole series' message about Pokemon as friends, creatures with their own faults but with specialties and personalities. Plus, it's pretty relevant to what we're doing with technology today.

Overall, the special was nice. :) I said this somewhere else before...but I guess that one good thing about the fact that May now has an older voice is that she sounds more like an older sister. But anyway, I'm sure these new voice actors and actresses will definitely get better. Let's give them time.

skarmachild
1st May 2006, 1:27 PM
First off, the intro was terrible. The voices were just...strange. But it seemed that most of the time, they didn't seem exited, more like bored. The plot was kinda bad. Mew was anoying, its voice was really weird too.

Might as well tell you that this Mew has the same VA as the Japanese Mew in the 8th movie. The 8th movie Mew has a different voice than the 1st movie mew. The thing is the VA for the 1st movie Mew is still working on Pokemon, so not sure why they had to switch the voices.

ImJessieTR
1st May 2006, 4:20 PM
re: voice of Mew -- I suspected that, but I wasn't sure ... now I am

Gaiash
1st May 2006, 5:55 PM
The voice actors arn't actually a big problem, they are just a very dramatic change from the ones we are used to. But they script from what I have heard is very flawed, characters are OOC and these cheesy jokes just arn't funny.

VulpixTrainer
1st May 2006, 6:51 PM
Well, to be honest, I liked it, the plot was rushed... but it was an hour long with comercial breaks, what do you expect any way? But the voices....well, ash's voice was diffrent all the way back in the beginning, and it changed... so did meoth's.... and well, at the end of the special, I was use to their voices...

As for Dragonite.... come on Professor Oak is... well, he is the greatest Pokemon Professor as stated in the Pokemon Anime, so why shouldn't he have a Dragonite?

As for the themes... this must be one of the most mature I have seen, I mean, death is in it, and they talk about how man shouldn't fiddle with the mirage system to create Pokemon without weakness. It is pretty deep for a show.

I liked the plot, and well, I must have been blind, I didn't expect the MM to be Professor Yung, I want to say Young, to be the same people, I mean, if you are a bad guy, would you put two professor's in the same room? I wouldn't.

I also liked how MM was surprised at seeing the clipits from Pikachu's mind, it was nice cameo's of them, but what happened to his mind? Does he still have the memories? Or are they uploaded into the computer banks?

As for the debrie falling, I thought... oh my, a sequal, and that I look forward to, espessially if they make it a movie, or even a three parter, I have a feeling that we will see more of the Mirage System, which I think is simulare to the Battle CD's... don't know if anyone else thought that, but that's just me, and since everyone it seems is rating it.

I rate the special as a 9/10, it could do some work, but I still liked it.

Andromache
1st May 2006, 7:23 PM
Not much to add here. I agree with everyone who thinks the scripting sucked and that the plot was blah. I don't think we got a good idea of who Young really is or how he's tied to Oak. And I wish Jenny, Joy, Brock, May, Max, and TR weren't even in the special, because they served next to no purpose aside from perhaps saving Misty, but that could have been accomplished by Swellow, as somebody else said.

However, I may be heartless, but while I did find Mew's "deletion" sad, I wasn't overly bothered. She/it wasn't a real Pokemon anyway. As for a supposed soul, what about the other mirages. Did they become mirages because they lacked inherent souls? I think I'm not understanding how the mirage system works.

The storytelling really seemed rushed. Overall, it felt like bad fanfic. And I don't care that this is canon. It's mediocre.

Chris
1st May 2006, 8:19 PM
Hey guys. This is to discuss the special itself. Not the darn voice actors. Please try to stay on topic.

Kingudora
1st May 2006, 8:45 PM
question: why wasnt mewtwo, suiune, jirachi, rayquaza and deoxys in pikachus memory??

two words:
horrible voices

Fox
1st May 2006, 8:49 PM
question: why wasnt mewtwo, suiune, jirachi, rayquaza and deoxys in pikachus memory??

two words:
horrible voices
Mewtwo Returns, Pokemon 4Ever, Jirachi Wish Maker, Destiny Deoxys

That's why those were in Pikachu's memory :p

Gaiash
1st May 2006, 8:53 PM
It couldn't show ALL the Pokemon Pikachu saw.

Kingudora
1st May 2006, 9:16 PM
i know (i think) why ash (and all other) just used about two pokemon

if it airs in japan ash cant use grovyle instead of sceptile b/c it already evolved there
so if ash would use grovyle in japan it would be confusion

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
1st May 2006, 11:35 PM
i know (i think) why ash (and all other) just used about two pokemon

if it airs in japan ash cant use grovyle instead of sceptile b/c it already evolved there
so if ash would use grovyle in japan it would be confusion

Good logic, but Swellow doesn't evolve, so he was perfectly able to use it. We know May has Munchlax, and we know Brock has Forretress. Misty's team doesn't really change at all, so we could've seen all of it. Point is, a lot of Pokémon were missing when they shouldn't have been.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Judai Yuki
1st May 2006, 11:50 PM
i still dont like that they gave him Dragonite.

TotodileCharizard
1st May 2006, 11:55 PM
Meh, I don't see why Professor Oak had Dragonite. He could've had a better(or weaker whatever)Pokemon. The plot overall kinda stunk, but it was good to watch I guess.

Jega33
2nd May 2006, 12:33 AM
worst episode ever, the voices, the plot, and the animation.

skarmachild
2nd May 2006, 12:47 AM
worst episode ever, the voices, the plot, and the animation.

Worst post ever.

chosen_one386
2nd May 2006, 12:50 AM
Exactly. The voices:terrible, but the plot and animation: best I've seen in a LONG while.

Gaiash
2nd May 2006, 1:24 AM
Exactly. The voices:terrible, but the plot and animation: best I've seen in a LONG while.
But there were a few flaws in the plot such as;

Ash is not supposed the one to suggest splitting up
Brock wouldn't run away from a serious situation even if it was to see Jenny

Also these a few out of place moments in animation.

The script however; Worst Script ever!

Gravy
2nd May 2006, 1:47 AM
I didn't really like this special. It was overcooked, and had far too much salad dressing. And the salad dressing looked disfigured and moldy.

First off, it's time for my trademarked comments on the quality of the animation. It's the 'thing that I do' now, so get used to it.
Now, there were a few decent moments contained within this. I thought some of the attacks Mewtwo and Dragonite pulled off looked quite impressive for instance. But overall, it was nothing more than sub-par. Which, especially for an episode like this, was really disspointing. I knew I'd be walking into this thing expecting the animation to be the best part of the show, but unfortunately I was let down. Characters were off-model on a number of occassions, their movements almost always looked static and there was barely anything that made a lasting impression. This sort of quality is what I'd expect from a random filler episode.

And then there was the plot..or not?
It didn't end up like the re-hashed fanfiction story I was expecting it to be, which was good enough....but it was still a fanfiction in some shape or form. The mirage system as a whole bugged the crap out of me. With pokémon like Porygon and Porygon 2 out there, it wasn't half as unique as they were trying to make it out to be. Dr. Yung was (stupidly) cliché, and the fact that his whole cherade was painfully obvious really didn't help matters.
Though having said that, I DID oddly enough, feel sympathy for Mew and it's plight. Though I think this is down to the fact that they gave it huge glistening eyes that made it look like it was going to burst into tears. What a cheap shot :p

Pretty weak attempt for a 10th anniversary special.

MagicBox
2nd May 2006, 2:15 AM
This sort of quality is what I'd expect from a random filler episode.Though really, if you take away the "10th Anniversary Special" banner, that's basically what this was.

The Great Butler
2nd May 2006, 2:17 AM
I still like Dr. Yung a lot. Two parts in particular: his line "Good riddance....flawed specimen," from when Mew got 'deleted,' and those eyes right at the end when he walked back into the lab.....that look in his eyes sent a chill down my spine. So evil. He would've made a great movie villain with a few more touches.

V Faction
2nd May 2006, 2:22 AM
Eh, I don't know. I'm still of the belief that Dr. Yung belonged in the "I Can't Believe It's Not Clichéd Super Villain" tub.

Good voice though.

Gravy
2nd May 2006, 2:23 AM
Though really, if you take away the "10th Anniversary Special" banner, that's basically what this was.
You know, now that I think about it...I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a random filler episode. And by that I mean '2 random filler episodes slapped together and released to the american public as a supposed special'.

The Great Butler
2nd May 2006, 2:23 AM
I'd rather have him over that guy from 4Ever. THAT was a wasted villain.

CyberCubed
2nd May 2006, 4:46 AM
You know, now that I think about it...I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a random filler episode. And by that I mean '2 random filler episodes slapped together and released to the american public as a supposed special'.

It was discovered in the credits that this special was made for Japan originally.

Also, Misty's Japanese VA said she voiced an "extra" episode back in February. Most people made the connection that it's probably this coming out in Japan.

I guess this'll make a decent 2-part filler toward the end of the BF saga...that explains Volt Tackle right? RIGHT?

PikachuFan100
2nd May 2006, 8:48 AM
My views on the mirage special. It was pretty cool. But it had a few disappointments.

First: While the special was cool, i expected alot from it, but it didn't deliver. One of the things i was hoping were that the real Mewtwo and Mew would show up like they do pretty much unexpectedly. I also didn't like the ending that much. i was hoping the "most powerful, undefeatable" pokemon would be a new pokemon, well, not one that would be in the games, just like a missingno type thing. A pokemon too powerful that it couldn't be replicated in the games. At fiest i expected a new type of pokemon, but eventually through all the talking i finally expected it to be mewtwo.

Once the mirage mewtwo came out i expected the real Mewtwo to show up sometime.

Another thing was the voices. While they weren't the worst. They were a huge step down from the dub voices we're all a customed too. I agree with some posters that said ash sounded like one of those stuffy kids. It just sounded like a weird 10 year old. Although when ash started he was 10.

Brock's voice sounded alot more manly, and older then it really should of sounded. Same with may's. Max's voice wasn't that bad. But i also didn't like misty's voice that much. Meh, we will have to get used to the voices if they do indeed keep the voice actors, we will eventually. Remember how much people complained about may's dub voice when it first came out?

I was also hoping that the masked man was indeed a new character, or maybe an old TR guy. But alas, just the prof.

Also, the prof. i forgot his name. i hope he returns in an episode or a special. I really want him to find a way to make mirage pokemon, but to make it so they can travel outside of the Mirage fields. They could make a movie, or a few part series out of it.

Yamato-san
2nd May 2006, 9:05 AM
oh yeah, and the bit about how a soul cannot be converted into data, pure corn :p

I don't know.... it could actually make sense when you think about it. The Mew's considered a "flawed specimen", and flaws usually occur very often during development. I don't know how the hell the Mirage System works in the first place, but who's to say that in an early experiment, Yong didn't drain the life force out of a real Pokemon, thus resulting in that Mew with a soul (and Oak did say that Yong's projects were rejected since they showed no respect towards Pokemon, so the idea of him using a living Pokemon in such a way seems likely)?

Anyway, Pokemon USA is looking very promising, having kept in both Japanese BGMs and not playing anything over the silence. Also, did anyone notice that Absol sounded more like it does in the Japanese version? It looks as though we won't have to put up with anymore of that god-awful, deeply-voiced Absol that 4kids used (which is good, since another Absol's due to appear in a contest episode which will be dubbed by PUSA, albeit briefly). They also kept up 4kids's trend of keeping in Hellger's voice, as well as some others. The Aggron sucked, though (didn't 4kids keep its voice in the past, considering all it does is roar?).

And CyberCubed, I wouldn't look too much into May's line. She likely said that because she was left behind earlier to keep watch.

Gravy
2nd May 2006, 1:36 PM
The Aggron sucked, though (didn't 4kids keep its voice in the past, considering all it does is roar?).
They did keep the original voice in it's first appearence, but in later episodes (ie. the Houen League) they dub it over. It sounds fairly similar to Bosogodora's cry, so I doubt many people really noticed the change.

IIRC, they did the same sort of thing with Houndoom once or twice. In it's first few appearences, they kept the original voice. But when the Johto league rolled around, they dubbed over Harrison's Houndoom.

And while I'm on the topic of the voices of fictional creatures. When Combusken uses it's Fire Spin for a second time, if you listen carefully you can hear a brief 'Shamo!' buried under the rest of the noise. http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Kingudora
2nd May 2006, 7:49 PM
was the mirage mew the real mew?
it looked like mirage mew knew who ash are

maybe the real mews soul were in the mirage mew?

Pokemon Fan
2nd May 2006, 11:05 PM
Mewtwo getting Dues ex machina'd. Oh and about that, mewtwo took a bunch of other attacks but dies to VOLT TACKLE?!?!??!?!? DA F***?
Those other attacks were all blocked, they never touched Mewtwo. In this case Mew had disabled all of Mewtwo's power, including its natural defenses (it can be assumed judging by how much pain Mewtwo seemed to be in), making it very vulnerable to a strong attack.

The worst part was Volt tackle. They shouldn't have shown it in the first place, and in the anime Pokemon don't just learn moves with a snap of the finger like in the games.
Actually they can (Noctowl and Confusion, Grovyle and Leaf Blade), but as others make clear this special clearly takes place some time after Pikachu learns Volt Tackle.

EDIT: Just something I forgot to mention... There was kinda a plot hole in the special. How did Dr. Yung know about Mewtwo? Not even Prof. Oak knew about Mewtwo! Only Ash, Misty, Brock, and their pokemon at the time of Mewtwo Returns know about him, and they promised that they wouldn't tell anyone else.
I don't recall Ash making any promise like that, he remarks he is looking foreward to telling Professor Oak about his encounter with Mewtwo, which then leads to the whole scene of everyone convincing Mewtwo to not mess with their memories. based on this we can easily conclude that Ash did tell Oak about Mewtwo, not to mention whoever has sighted it since then could give more information (Mewtwo is living in cities you might recall, with that cool cloak).

And even though Mewtwo erased the memories of the TR members, all the data they had on Mewtwo would still be in their computers, which Yung could have accessed after getting that passcode from Oak (logically TR would have connections to most Pokemon data to help their organization).

Finally, Yung had access to Pikachu's memories and we only saw a portion of the time he was scanning them, he could have easily gotten information on Mewtwo from that.

<><><>

As for the number of Legendaries shown, there was no point or purpose to make them all appear. Yung's whole ambition after all was to merge all the data he had gathered to create a perfect Pokemon with unequaled strength, access to all attacks, and no weaknesses.

<><><>

As for the basis of the Mirage pokemon, this is mostly speculation. However, we do see multiple images in the special that appear to be DNA sequences. And given what Oak says about Yung's research being rejected it can be assumed that he did experiment on real living Pokemon.

With this in mind, given that Mew is the "mother" of all Pokemon, it could be that in the process of tearing open the secrets of Pokemon DNA and converting it to data, Yung inadvertently released a "real" bit of the original Mew. Perhaps he used the Mirage Mew as the template to create all the other Pokemon, but as the Mirage Mew was the original born from the very depths of all pokemon genetic code, it was "different" from the other mirage Pokemon, and thus somehow gained a life and soul of its own. Given the way Pokemon physics works this could be quite possible.

Elven Warrioress
3rd May 2006, 12:26 AM
It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but at least it burned off an hour of my time on an otherwise boring Saturday. I was very upset that Yung was evil...otherwise, I would've liked him... also, I, too, was hoping that the 'ultimate Pokemon' would be something other than Mewtwo...

After it was over, my friend and I were sobbing over the 'death' of Mew... I mean, it was deleted sooooooo slooooooooooowly, and the smile it gave was positively heart-wrenching...

;151; Long live Mew! ;151;

zonic the hedgehog
3rd May 2006, 1:15 AM
Heheh, I'm SO glad the Japanese are probably getting this intro too. Now they can experience the same horror we have had to face (at least they don't understand half of the words... lucky them).

Eh, as for my thoughts:

Didn't like it very much.

HOWEVER, the original BGM and extra violence was excellent, and I'm surprised at how well that was kept.

Now if only PUSA will spice up the dialogue a bit and improve the voices, then we'll be okay. ^__^

Chris
3rd May 2006, 9:12 AM
Okay, so I finally saw this special. This is the first time I actually sat through a dub and watched it. How long's that been? Probably it's been three or four years since I've done that. I could hardly stand watching "Legend of Thunder," so that doesn't count the last time I actually sat and watched the dub. :P

My take? I actually enjoyed it. The story wasn't as bad as some people were making it out to be. Sure, it was a bit cliche, but it wasn't that bad. The music was superb. Granted that it was recycled music from the Japanese soundtrack, but that's better than synthesizer scores. Action? I was quite suprised to see Mewtwo actually whips Mew into the ground and uppercuts it into the air. He does the same thing to Kairyuu, but finishes Mew off with TWO Solarbeams. That's something you would NEVER see on a 4Kids dub. Especially since they've began censoring minor hits.

Now onto the voices. I was right. A lot of you went into this special with hatred for the new VAs already in mind, thinking you would hate it either way. Being someone who hasn't watched the dub in so long, I actually enjoyed this very much. Now, the VAs aren't perfect, but they can be bettered and really don't need to change VAs. If Oak can deepen his voice abit, while having May highten her voice to sound younger, while having Brock work on toning down the raspiness and goofiness in his voice, followed by Ash going with a slightly lower toned voice with the same attitude he's got, then we have ourselves a winner. Misty's perfect, Max doesn't sound so bad. Dr. Yung sounded VERY good. o_o As did "Mirage Master."

Kudos to them for not dubbing over Houndoom and using the Japanese voice, Hellger, instead. Shows consistancy. Absol's attempted to sound the same as the Japanese voice, which wasn't bad.

Anyone else find Squirtle's voice to be highly amusing? Not in a bad way, of course. :P

CyberCubed
3rd May 2006, 6:30 PM
Dr. Yung sounded VERY good. o_o As did "Mirage Master."

That's because Dr. Yung/Mirage Master were both voiced by Sean Schemmel a.k.a. Goku. Hence why it was one of the only decent voices in the special.

Serebii
3rd May 2006, 6:41 PM
That's because Dr. Yung/Mirage Master were both voiced by Sean Schemmel a.k.a. Goku. Hence why it was one of the only decent voices in the special.
I thought I told you that that list was fake and that wasn't who did it

S.Suikun
3rd May 2006, 10:01 PM
Nah, the main reason Dr. Yung sounded good was because he was never seen before, hence he had no original voice to compare to.

Wes
3rd May 2006, 10:02 PM
Yeah. It's fake! The list I posted was the true one seeing how it was from the actual special's credits! And why would Zoppi (Aka Find The Computer Room Man) or any of the others voice them, heck Dr Yung doesn't sound at all like Sean considering his other works (Goku, Vegito, Black Doom, King Kai etc).

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
4th May 2006, 2:22 AM
Just finally saw it and gee it was pretty short. Everything happened so fast and really I was disapointed. I mean it was revealed Yung was the Mirage master like 5 minutes after he was kidnapped. Sure it was longer but it really seemed that fast.

I liked the theme song although they should have atleast made a better opening to it rather than just pasting scenes that were to come.

The best part for me was probably when we see Tracey, Elm, and Birch. Those three looked so scared it got me to laugh.

And finally, this episode takes place after the 8th movie right? Cause I think I heard Ash say "It's you again Mew" or something.

Chris
4th May 2006, 2:40 AM
Not only as Joe said that it's fake, but I know VERY well that's not Sean. Sean's voice is very easy to detect. If you listen to his roles, you can call him out easily. :s He uses the same voice he does for Goku or King Kai with different tones.

Mr. Moore (Flannery's grandfather) sounded like a deeper voiced Goku while Morrison sounded like a deep voiced King Kai. :s

Willow's Tara
4th May 2006, 3:46 AM
Well I do this movie at pokebeach, the site, and I thought it was very cool, the opening seemed a bit wierd (I mean the opening, not where Ash and co are walking, before thaty you know how they show flashes of trainers and pokemon?). But I really liked, I really did.
Oh so Mew was real, I wasn't sure, cuz I was like, isn't he just a mirage? Well that's sad.
Just one question? How did the others know Mew? I thought they forgot everything in the first movie... (I just had another story idea when typing that!), or does this relate to the other Mew movie? (Well I do live in Australia, I don't think we even have Destiny Dexoys yet)....It is episodes like these (And that Groudon/Kyogre storyline, the episodes before Mossdeep) that get me real inspired to write a story or something...

For the voices, see my post in the New Dub voice discussion.

Yami ookami
4th May 2006, 3:50 AM
It was sad when I watched that, it was so F***ing bad... I hope that the same thing doesnot happen with the next pokemon TV series..:(

Dogasu
4th May 2006, 3:23 PM
So Japanese written, Japanese produced...I believe a mod here owes me an apology?

Pssh, no. Because the special is exactly what I said it was...a co-production between the Japanese producers and the American producers. It wasn't just a case of a Japanese special made for Japanese audiences that just *happened* to air in the US first.

Gaiash
4th May 2006, 9:36 PM
Ok I've watched it in full now. The script is what I don't like, too many out of character lines. Mirage Master, while an unoriginal name, is a good villian and trully one of the highlights. One can only essume he saw Mewtwo in Pikachus memories because there no way otherwise he'd know what a Mewtwo is.

The fighting was by far my favorate part of the special, probably because there was less dialogue XD. No seriously the battle with Mirage Mewtwo was cool, I actually said "owned" when he hit Mew.

I'd have to give seperate ratings for seperate things since my opinion on it is mixed.

Action 10/10
Dialogue 3/10
Voices 6/10
Storyline 5/10

Chris
4th May 2006, 11:13 PM
Might I ask what were the "out of character" lines? Not trying to sound sarcastic about it, just would like to know seeing as how I haven't noticed any. :P

Gaiash
4th May 2006, 11:29 PM
Might I ask what were the "out of character" lines? Not trying to sound sarcastic about it, just would like to know seeing as how I haven't noticed any. :P
Its more towards the choices of words thats kinda out of character.

CyberCubed
4th May 2006, 11:32 PM
Misty was horribly out of character throughout the entire special. She was acting like her Season 1 counterpart than her AG personality.

Plus when they give her awful dialouge such as, "PUH-leeze" and "WHATEVER!" and "Ladies first!" it makes her sound as ditzy as her sisters. Those are lines her sisters say, not Misty herself.

May of course degraded herself in the special saying something along the lines of, "See? Looks like I am good for something."

Blech.

Gaiash
4th May 2006, 11:36 PM
Misty was horribly out of character throughout the entire special. She was acting like her Season 1 counterpart than her AG personality.

Plus when they give her awful dialouge such as, "PUH-leeze" and "WHATEVER!" and "Ladies first!" it makes her sound as ditzy as her sisters. Those are lines her sisters say, not Misty herself.

May of course degraded herself in the special saying something along the lines of, "See? Looks like I am good for something."

Blech.
There we go Ed, CyberCubed explained it better than I ever could.

Gravy
5th May 2006, 12:09 AM
She was? Because I for one didn't notice her lashing out at other characters.

I think that's just a case of reading into it too much. If you hadn't have brought that up, I'd have never even thought of pegging those two lines as portraying Misty as a valley girl.
The 'Ladies first' thing? That's the sort of line I expect from Misty. It's completely in her character to tease Ash like that.
Those are hardly lines that I'd consider to be contributions towards distorting one's established personallity :/

To quote Yamato-san;
"And CyberCubed, I wouldn't look too much into May's line. She likely said that because she was left behind earlier to keep watch."
Makes sense to me.

CyberCubed
5th May 2006, 12:19 AM
She was? Because I for one didn't notice her lashing out at other characters.

Well no, she didn't have her temper in the special.

Perhaps because this special aired just a week after the three Pallet Town episodes with Misty, there was a distinct difference in her personality.

It may have to do with the lack of Azurill in the special (what happened to it exactly?) so she wasn't as motherly, but she was still hyper-active and very bratty. AG Misty isn't like that for the most part, she's more rational and calm.

To quote Yamato-san;
"And CyberCubed, I wouldn't look too much into May's line. She likely said that because she was left behind earlier to keep watch."
Makes sense to me.

Maybe. But considering Misty was given the second biggest role in the special (after Ash), it was probably PUSA's way at taking a cheap shot at May for being a "replacement" and that Misty was the better Pokemon girl. I saw that line as a direct nod to the fanbase, because when AG debuted in the U.S. there was a hell of a lot of backlash toward May, and there still is some today.

Gravy
5th May 2006, 1:02 AM
Well no, she didn't have her temper in the special.

Perhaps because this special aired just a week after the three Pallet Town episodes with Misty, there was a distinct difference in her personality.

It may have to do with the lack of Azurill in the special (what happened to it exactly?) so she wasn't as motherly, but she was still hyper-active and very bratty. AG Misty isn't like that for the most part, she's more rational and calm.
I didn't think she was acting any different from her recent incarnation personally. The only times that I could consider her being remotely 'bratty' included the teasing of Ash near the start of the special, and later taking a shot at Brock's overactive hormones. And those are essentially her staple character traits.
And I can't say I can recall any instances of her seeming 'hyper-active' either. Hell, she barely did much of anything during the special in the first place. If anything, the only hyper-active attribute she had was her voice, which tended to switch to a somewhat high pitch from time to time. But that's nothing to do with her personallity ;)

Maybe. But considering Misty was given the second biggest role in the special (after Ash), it was probably PUSA's way at taking a cheap shot at May for being a "replacement" and that Misty was the better Pokemon girl. I saw that line as a direct nod to the fanbase, because when AG debuted in the U.S. there was a hell of a lot of backlash toward May, and there still is some today.
Second biggest role? Oh come on, all she did was get kidnapped by a Machoke and have a crappy battle with Aggron about 5 minutes in. If anyone had the second biggest role in this special, it was Proffessor Oak, with Misty's being nothing but fan fodder :P But thats a whole 'nother debate...
Even if that particular line was infact an intentional swipe at Haruka, it's still a far cry from completely trashing her character. We've seen how Haruka occassionally beats her self up when she does something wrong, and we've seen that she can think very little of herself and her abilities. So when she says a line like that? Yeah, it seems a bit iffy and yeah, it could be considered a little harsh. But hey, I wouldn't put it past the girl.

This isn't directed at you Cybercubed, but it's pretty evident that lately, quite a few people are using the so-called *******isation of the characters as a scapegoat to broadcast their hatred for PUSA. I've seen people complain about bad writing and horrible dialogue, but apart from one or two stupid sounding lines, I'm really struggling to see how this is any different from anything 4Kids have done in the past. Hell, if you want some truely shitty dialogue and character beatings, check out Chronicles.
And comparing some of the Chronicles episodes to this? Well...this ain't no Chronicles.

CyberCubed
5th May 2006, 1:17 AM
Second biggest role? Oh come on, all she did was get kidnapped by a Machoke and have a crappy battle with Aggron about 5 minutes in. If anyone had the second biggest role in this special, it was Proffessor Oak, with Misty's being nothing but fan fodder :P

Eh, she was the only one to get a full battle against the Aggron with her Staryu. (Ash's battle was interrupted) Likewise, she was the one to infiltrate the castle while May and Max stayed behind, granted she didn't do much as she got groped by a Machoke and fell off a cliff, but that's more than May/Max/Brock did anyway. Not to mention battling with Gyarados at the end against Mirage Mewtwo. So, I guess that article was right when it only listed Ash/Prof. Oak/Misty as the main characters, they're the only 3 who did anything! :p

One thing is amusing though, even in a U.S. produced special, Brock STILL gets the shaft. I couldn't help but laugh when Brock disappeared for the entire middle and last act of the episode because he was too busy with Officer Jenny. Oh boy, it'll be a miracle if the guy ever steps out of the background these days.

Even if that particular line was infact an intentional swipe at Haruka, it's still a far cry from completely trashing her character. We've seen how Haruka occassionally beats her self up when she does something wrong, and we've seen that she can think very little of herself and her abilities.

Yeah, but when she beats herself up there's usually a reason for that. Either she loses a Contest and she's depressed, or she feels bad for pushing her Pokemon to do something that she knew was wrong. Or she has a fight with one of her friends, etc.

In this special however, what did she do that made her doubt herself? All she did before that line was stand on the side, so its not like she made some horrible mistake and she felt bad or inferior to Misty and the others.

On this and other forums I noticed people do a double take when May said that line, because it was completely uncalled for and it didn't make sense why she was saying it. May also didn't seem to care about Max much in the special, even when he gets shot down by a blast. In the regular anime, May loves Max more than the world itself, but in the special she didn't constantly look after his safety like she does in the other movies and episodes.

Gaiash
5th May 2006, 3:34 PM
Ok my parody comic is coming along well. Ash and May tend to break the 4th wall a couple of times in it, which is great for a comic. They ask various questions many of us asked about the episode.

Dogasu
5th May 2006, 5:30 PM
So am I the only one who didn't think the new voices sucked?

Brinstar
5th May 2006, 5:32 PM
You're not the only one Dogasu, I thought they were okay and will improve with time.

Chris
5th May 2006, 5:44 PM
Nope. They could use work, but they didn't suck.

AG Misty isn't like that for the most part, she's more rational and calm.
AG Kasumi from the Mirage Kingdom two-parter says differently. Especially when it came to her keeping Satoshi from coming along into the empty building because she got the note and he didn't (real rational, eh?). Not to mention, her freak out of Bug-types and having Sunnygo fight when she knew they were up against a Pokemon that was firing off Solar Beams like crazy.

Not to mention battling with Gyarados at the end against Mirage Mewtwo. So, I guess that article was right when it only listed Ash/Prof. Oak/Misty as the main characters, they're the only 3 who did anything!
You forgot that Haruka sent out Wakashamo and was battling along with the other three.. :P

Ok my parody comic is coming along well. Ash and May tend to break the 4th wall a couple of times in it, which is great for a comic. They ask various questions many of us asked about the episode.
Great, only this isn't a parody comic discussion/plug thread. Stay on topic.

CyberCubed
5th May 2006, 5:46 PM

They didn't *suck* perse, but they weren't very good either.

If Ash sounding like a mentally challenged version of dub Luffy is "good" then I don't want to watch this show. Ash was simply horrible, the worst voice of the bunch.

The others can improve, May needs to get that cuteness and innocence back in her voice that the old one had. She also has to act more energetic and cheery, as that's everything May's character is about.

Chris
5th May 2006, 5:52 PM
How many times do we have to say that Ash's voice is NOT provided by Luffy's dub VA? :|

CyberCubed
5th May 2006, 5:52 PM
How many times do we have to say that Ash's voice is NOT provided by Luffy's dub VA? :|

I said he "sounded" like a mentally challenged version of dub Luffy, not that he IS Luffy's VA. :p

Gaiash
5th May 2006, 9:16 PM
I liked them, except for James who sounds to posh.

Alfonso
5th May 2006, 10:19 PM

Nope.

Myself, RandomCharizard, PurpleKecleon, Ed and a few others agree with you. We're a small bunch though.

skarmachild
5th May 2006, 11:14 PM
Nope.

Myself, RandomCharizard, PurpleKecleon, Ed and a few others agree with you. We're a small bunch though.

Count me in.

Time for my 3rd/4th impressions of it (yes I have to watch something at least 3 times).

After watching it a 4th time, compared to normal episodes I am actually pretty impressed. Why you ask? Well, for one, although some scripting/lines were pretty bad ("Wow! Im pysched. Okay, now it's our turn" etc), what they managed to do with Oak and Mirage Master was very good. For example, when Oak was first kidnapped by Mirage Master and when he said the line (interupting MM) - "You don't scare me with your juvenile threats", I loved that line (so much so I played it played it back about 6 times). Some lines do make me laugh a bit, but the way there pulled off is very good. Another example is with Oak and MM again, when they're talking about the Pokemon Institute and whatnot (after Mirage Master was revealed to be Dr. Yung). Maybe that's more to do with the voices, but I loved the way they pulled it off. Of course, there was many plotholes in it, and alot of it didn't make sense if you think about it.

The music. Great. Now, i've only started watching the Japanese episodes as of late, and I recognised alot of that music that I never heard in the 4kids dubbed episodes. And when 4Kids say that the music was out of place in the JP original so they re-did it, I find that a bit daft. I cannot find one bit of music in that episode that I didn't like (except the intro, which I can actually remember off by heart no). Especially at the end, when the Mirage System blew up and the quiet music was playing, brilliant.

Now an opinion on the voices of the main characters that we'll see in the show alot.

Ash, I like it. Though a bit of work does need to be improved to sound a bit less hyper.

Brock, good. Like people have said a bit too raspy, but he got better in the special.

May, nice. I liked the line when she said "Were here to save you". Still a bit too old for the character, but I could easily get used to it.

Max, annoying like before. But it's good in the sense that it matches his character and appearence.

Overall, once again I rate it for each of it's sections.
Plot - Suprisingly good if you ignore the loopholes
Dialogue - Mixed bunch, some bad, some amazing.
Music - Perfect, un-edited.
Animation - Once again much better than a usual episode.
Extra - Ha, yes it was more violent than most episodes, but it could be considered with the movies "violence". I mean - Jirachi Wish Maker, while my favourite Pokémon movie, had quite a bit of violence in it. Which was mostly due to Jirachi's screaming for God knows how long. This is how a usual episode should be like.

Rating - 8.5/10

Rufinito18
6th May 2006, 2:21 AM
I've rewatched the special, and some things bother me.
Not only the voices, but the aniamtion is really bad, plus the art...at the beggining, atthe entrace of the lab, did you SEE pickachu,s face? its sick!

the music of beggining, I did not like it, but the battle scenes, yes, the music I like, since they too kthe game music

skarmachild
6th May 2006, 2:26 AM
I've rewatched the special, and some things bother me.
Not only the voices, but the aniamtion is really bad, plus the art...at the beggining, atthe entrace of the lab, did you SEE pickachu,s face? its sick!

I didn't see pickachu,s face. I liked the aniamtion.

And whats with everyone criticizing it now? If they can't find something about the voices to bash about, they find something else and blame PUSA. When the Japanese animated it.

Rufinito18
6th May 2006, 2:40 AM
Sorry, the ANIMATION IS good, but some shots are deformed, I really like the plot, and I love mew, even though its voice is weird. Thats what I meant

and some music is good, and I dindt like the beggining, it didnt fit the pokemon theme, The TR motto animaton was great, but wasnt well voiced...

omg, I just saw this thing...Machamp, in the basement..grabs ash's groin

Gravy
6th May 2006, 2:48 AM
The animation was only good for one or two brief sections. The majority was crap. End of story.

Bah. I'll edit this later so I can respond to Cyber's last post~

Yamato-san
6th May 2006, 11:15 AM

I've been waiting to hear a comment from you since this special aired (actually, I was kinda expecting you'd update your site on it by this point ^^'). Anyway, let me welcome you to the pro-PUSA group.... you too, Brinstar.

Maybe. But considering Misty was given the second biggest role in the special (after Ash), it was probably PUSA's way at taking a cheap shot at May for being a "replacement" and that Misty was the better Pokemon girl.

As has been pointed out, Misty's role really wasn't that big. Sure, she got a battle with an Aggron, but given how rarely she appears, she'd have to show off just a little. Other than that, she fought with Gyarados alongside May's Combusken, and you seem to be overlooking the fact that May comes in to save her a**. Speaking of which, you point out that Misty went with Ash, but did she honestly accomplish much between then and May's arrival? Not that I recall.

On that note, in the speculation thread, you brought up a lot of points about how Misty, who's just some gym leader, getting an invitation from Dr. Yung wouldn't make any sense. Well, I gotta say, it all comes together after watching this. He wanted Oak's password, but as he showed with Pikachu, he could read the memory of someone who saw several rare Pokemon as a back-up plan. He's likely aware that Ash and his current travelling party has seen several Pokemon, as well as Misty, who's travelled with Ash previously (and even saw Mewtwo during said travels). By inviting as many people who've had such experiences as possible, there's a more likely chance of kidnapping at least one of them to extract his necessary data from.

BTW, in case anyone asks (and since it has been a good while since I've stated this), I will use English names when referring specifically to the dub (which this special, of course, is).

Gaiash
6th May 2006, 12:20 PM
The animation was a mix between good and bad. The worst shot for animation was Ash in the last scene. The best shots for animation were the battle with Mirage Mewtwo.

Dogasu
6th May 2006, 10:11 PM
I've been waiting to hear a comment from you since this special aired (actually, I was kinda expecting you'd update your site on it by this point ^^').

I would have, but I've been busy the past week moving into my own place, so I haven't had the time to update my website. Shoot, I didn't even get to *watch* the special until Wednesday

And while the art wasn't all that good, we've seen worse. Sure, it was no "Do I Hear a Ralts?" but it wasn't as bad as "The Scuffle of Legends" either.

CyberCubed
6th May 2006, 10:24 PM
Well it was a rush job, considering they were busy animating their own Japanese episodes as well as the 9th movie at the same time.

Animating some dinky little special for Americans wasn't their main focus.

TeddiUrsa
7th May 2006, 1:28 AM
Okay, I was able to watch the whole thing today, not just some clips of it and I think EE said it best...I enjoyed it was well. It was a net suprise.

Let´s face it. almost every pokemon story is a cliché, but this was entertaining nervertheless.

I liked the action scenes as well as the sad moments. I was suprised how violent ( pokemon-wise) some scenes were, I don´t mean this in a bad way, It made the whole Mirage Mewtwo much more treatening...I just wish that the animation would have been better in some scenes..

The music was good as well, but I´m used to the japanese version, so it wasn´t THAT shocking to hear it ^^;

About the VAs.....I grew on most of them trough the special, Ash was a bit rough, but okay, May sounded a bit too old, but the rest where good IMO ( nya...I didn´t like Brock and James, but I don´t like their old voices as well and the new VAs were trying to imitate that ones...so I guess it´s only logical ^^;)

Put me on the new dub-likers list, I hope there is a chance for a proper, editless german pokemon episode ( nya..we´ll see about that....)

Mega Trickster
7th May 2006, 1:33 AM
Okay, I was able to watch the whole thing today, not just some clips of it and I think EE said it best...I enjoyed it was well. It was a net suprise.

Let´s face it. almost every pokemon story is a cliché, but this was entertaining nervertheless.

I liked the action scenes as well as the sad moments. I was suprised how violent ( pokemon-wise) some scenes were, I don´t mean this in a bad way, It made the whole Mirage Mewtwo much more treatening...I just wish that the animation would have been better in some scenes..

The music was good as well, but I´m used to the japanese version, so it wasn´t THAT shocking to hear it ^^;

About the VAs.....I grew on most of them trough the special, Ash was a bit rough, but okay, May sounded a bit too old, but the rest where good IMO ( nya...I didn´t like Brock and James, but I don´t like their old voices as well and the new VAs were trying to imitate that ones...so I guess it´s only logical ^^;)

Put me on the new dub-likers list, I hope there is a chance for a proper, editless german pokemon episode ( nya..we´ll see about that....)

Lol look at my sig dude!

I enjoy the new dub better too. I watched it on high quality on the internet. The animation on some parts could of been better.

CyberCubed
7th May 2006, 2:08 AM
Recent news from NewBrock is they only had 3 weeks to record the voices for this, so hopefully Season 9 is a big improvement.

psychic_pokemon_master
7th May 2006, 10:08 PM
the isn't much i can say about the mastermind of mirage pokemon except that
i think only Max, May,Mirage Master and Misty's voices where good

i know most of you might have seem this news already but for those who didn't go to this site
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/

it seems like the "save the dub" has failed

The Power of Pika
8th May 2006, 2:04 PM
Well that was on Pokemon USA's official site Pokemon.com. What they said doesn't surprise me like it does others. In most kids opinions most of it was good except for the voices so that is the majority of the responses. Kids watch the show. Also I did find a forum that is on the opposite side to you guys who have the save the dub protest. They just as bad as the complainers towards PUSA except it was the opposite way. They're a good sized site aswell. It was interesting hearing a different view. Though I won't say who it is due to respect.

If your going against that many people it makes it hard. I'm kind of in agreeance with them myself since my friend has mentioned what the VA's voiced in and now I've got a bit of confidence in them.

They just need practise.=)

Also every time I watch it it seems to get better and better. I am actually use to the voices now and am seeing some well said lines amongst the bad ones. If they took those expressions from the good lines along with them and improve on the lines they didn't do well in they should be fine.

Captain Brain
17th May 2006, 8:56 AM
I got bored and decided to point out that the image was indeed a Dragonite. See for yourselves: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=115446 ;025;

skarmachild
17th May 2006, 9:07 AM
I got bored and decided to point out that the image was indeed a Dragonite. See for yourselves: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=115446 ;025;

Uh well yeh... Dragonite was in the episode - Bayleaf wasn't (not Ash's anyway).

halloweenghost
17th May 2006, 2:20 PM
I'm with the small group I do not mind some of the new voices,... They will get better.

wobbanut
19th May 2006, 12:46 AM
Well, after nearly three weeks of putting this episode off... and putting it off... and putting it off... and putting it off... I FINALLY got the nerve up to watch this special. After the initial OH MY GOD!!!!! shock of the voices, I eventually started getting used to them. I had a wide range of opinions on the voices, from the awful (Ash, Combusken) to the superb (Jessie, Professor Oak). I'll give my full two cents on the voices on the appropriate discussion thread, but here's my review two cents for everything else.

-- I'm probably the only one here who liked the opening credits. Well, the Orange Islands theme is my favorite, so I'm not surprised I liked the light rap. Kudos to the producers for giving Team Rocket their best credit EVER. :D They should use motto images in the credits again sometime.
-- Yes, I liked the new Professor Oak. Sue me. I thought it was a good voice for him, not to say anything against Stan Hart.
-- Great villian in Dr. Yung. I had the feeling along the way that something was up when the doctor wasn't reappearing. I think I realized the truth right before Professor Oak gave it away.
-- I loved Brock's running off to get Officer Jenny. I also LOL'd when he told her that she has to come to the doctor's lab immediately for a candlelight dinner. :D
-- At least they didn't pull punches on the drama in this special. Instead of keeping it light all the time for little kids, they made it really suspenseful and sad, especially with Mew. Good work.
-- The animation was subpar. Apart from the computer effects and Jessie's hair, it was like the animation took a giant step back five years.
-- Oh, I forgot to mention a couple of quibbles. For one, I wish they'd had Corphish pokespeak. :( For another, the sound in this special was odd. It was like watching a season one episode. I mean, I'm used to a constant soundtrack throughout Pokemon episodes, whether it's music, lines, or pokemon noises. This episode had a lot of blank spaces in it. It's especially noticeable in scenes like where Brock slaps his hands on Officer Jenny's desk. We don't hear Team Rocket's familiar music either during their scenes, except for the motto. It was really strange.

At least the special wasn't so bad after I'd gotten into it. And I was nervous all these days for nothing. Overall, 8/10.

The Power of Pika
19th May 2006, 12:24 PM
Well, after nearly three weeks of putting this episode off... and putting it off... and putting it off... and putting it off... I FINALLY got the nerve up to watch this special. After the initial OH MY GOD!!!!! shock of the voices, I eventually started getting used to them. I had a wide range of opinions on the voices, from the awful (Ash, Combusken) to the superb (Jessie, Professor Oak). I'll give my full two cents on the voices on the appropriate discussion thread, but here's my review two cents for everything else.

-- I'm probably the only one here who liked the opening credits. Well, the Orange Islands theme is my favorite, so I'm not surprised I liked the light rap. Kudos to the producers for giving Team Rocket their best credit EVER. :D They should use motto images in the credits again sometime.
-- Yes, I liked the new Professor Oak. Sue me. I thought it was a good voice for him, not to say anything against Stan Hart.
-- Great villian in Dr. Yung. I had the feeling along the way that something was up when the doctor wasn't reappearing. I think I realized the truth right before Professor Oak gave it away.
-- I loved Brock's running off to get Officer Jenny. I also LOL'd when he told her that she has to come to the doctor's lab immediately for a candlelight dinner. :D
-- At least they didn't pull punches on the drama in this special. Instead of keeping it light all the time for little kids, they made it really suspenseful and sad, especially with Mew. Good work.
-- The animation was subpar. Apart from the computer effects and Jessie's hair, it was like the animation took a giant step back five years.

At least the special wasn't so bad after I'd gotten into it. And I was nervous all these days for nothing. Overall, 8/10.

Woohoo!
Someone else who liked Professor Oak's voice. I only noticed one line he said terribly which was the first line he said but he said some brilliant ones during the special. The part where he said about the "juvenile threats" was brilliant. Can't remember the whole line off the top of my head though.

I also liked the rap myself it was different and that's why I liked it but also the fact that when they said Pikachu (I think Pikachu says something at the same time not sure) it reminded me of the first series theme song from Japan where Pikachu yells it's name a few times during it.=)

I suggest watching it a few times because when you are really used to the voices you enjoy it even more. I found that what happened to me anyway. I burned it to DVDR so that's how I've watched it many times. I've watched it 23 times and so no one can say that I'm not use to the voices that's for sure. I even got myself prepared before watching the whole thing by watching a few clips before hand, a dozen times so I was use to the voices by the time I watched the whole thing.

Has anyone had a reaction like my brother to the special?
He's the only one I know who wasn't bothered about the voices and got into the special right from the beginning and he's 23 and has watched the cartoon as long as me but was not shocked at all at the voices. :o
He comes in when I put on the special and watches it with me. I think he loved it I know the first time we watched it was on Youtube but since we're on dialup it took forever to download so we watched the first 3 parts on one day and the rest the next day. I remeber he kept on asking about when I was going on Youtube to play the rest. He was definately into it first shot.

There's so much negativity and hatred on some threads I wanted to talk to someone who enjoyed it like me.:)

Oh yeah on first viewing I would give it a 5/10
on second viewing it would be a 7/10
on 23rd viewing I can say 9/10 due to the fact that I still enjoy it despite watching it many times and liked it better than the first 5 movies, Chronicles special and Mewtwo returns special that I have. That's an honest opinion. The 5 movies and specials for some reason I haven't been able to watch as much as this thing and still enjoy them to the fullest. I don't know why that is. They got boring after 10 viewings. Though this PUSA special doesn't and I still get a craving to watch it.

I hope the 6th and 7th movie are like this (I mean can be watched over and over again without becoming boring) since they're not out in Australia yet. I haven't downloaded those since I'm hoping to get them legit unlike what I did with the special so I haven't seen them.=P

cryztalwing
19th May 2006, 12:27 PM
I kindoff like May's new voice. I can get use to it. I think it was cool that it was May who save Misty,instead of Ash. Makes you wonder what they could have talk about with each other in between the time it took them to get to were Ash was...

blob
1st June 2006, 12:08 PM
When did this Special Air in America? between which episodes? (Japanese episodes).

Opal Pikachu13
3rd June 2006, 12:56 AM
I enjoyed this special. The new voices actually didn't bother me like how others were complaining about them. (However James and Brock's voices needed a little work). I didn't like how mean Mirage Master/Dr. Yung was to Mirage Mew thinking of it as a "flawed specimen". It had it's own personality and soul unlike the other Mirage Pokemon. The battle between Ash and friends' Pokemon and Mirage Mewtwo was awesome to me. Poor Mirage Mew "died" holding Mirage Mewtwo back for Pikachu to finish it off. How this episode was aimed towards all audiences and not only for little kids was pretty good for Pokemon USA's first try. I give this special episode a 9.8/10. Can't wait to see how PUSA will do season 9, for this wasn't bad as many people thought.

Dogasu
4th June 2006, 1:09 AM
When did this Special Air in America? between which episodes? (Japanese episodes).

It aired between "A Symbol Life" (the episode where Ash wins his first Battle Frontier symbol) and "Hooked on Onix."

Rex Kamex
12th June 2006, 8:00 PM
Meh, the special was alright. When I really think about it though, even the worst of the voices are not as bad as the theme song that was used. (The PUSA voices grew on me, but that song could never do that.)

ESE
29th June 2006, 1:15 AM
Wow. I'm shocked by how ridiculous people can be by posting really ridiculous complains.

Oak having a Dragonite makes complete sense. It is probably a Dragonite that a trainer like Ash sent him. Either that or he is having a research about Dragonites.

And why people are stating that this was created in America as a FACT? I don't think there is a official statement of this. And the fact that this aired only in America doesn't prove anything. Sonic X Series 2 was created in Japan, and yet it aired over all the world BUT Japan.

MISTYFAN4EVER8887
18th July 2006, 3:46 AM
Heere's my 2 cents:

The opening song was, just, BLECH!!!! It was horrible. It sounded like they were trying to rap. Note to Pokemon USA: Rap Songs + Pokemon = BAD! The PokeRap in the classic show was alright.

The whole show was ok, as far as I could tell, the only voices that sounded the same were Max and Prof. Oak. May's voice was way too old for her age, but you all probably agree to that already.

I'm stating this cuz I'm just watching it off my external hard disk now.

dannyphantomhott
18th July 2006, 4:06 AM
I kindoff like May's new voice. I can get use to it. I think it was cool that it was May who save Misty,instead of Ash. Makes you wonder what they could have talk about with each other in between the time it took them to get to were Ash was...

I thought May did save Misty. Ash didn't even notice Misty fell LOL, though he did care about Mew. I was shocked at Brock LOL He just vanished and went after Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy, the Brock we all know and love would never do that. Sure some times he goes a little crazy in a girl problem like that but when things got serious he knows what do and normally gives Ash advice in dangerous times like those, that's my only complaint. Oh also I dislike Brocks new voice, every one else I didn't mind, James voice kind of irrated me a little but nothing to bad.

ハルカ and ゴンベ
18th July 2006, 4:19 AM
After my 78th time watching it, I've grown to like the new voices...(not only that but i've picked up the ability to word it perfectly..o.o)

Now, As long as they don't screw up my Harley i'll be fine.

After my 78th time watching it, i give it an 8/10

flannery lover
20th August 2006, 8:20 PM
one word.stupid

uncutpokemon
25th August 2006, 1:14 AM
i kinda thought it was an obvious pilot but whatever, and at least the bgm was good (even had moments os silence)

Bliksem
14th September 2006, 7:46 AM
Wow, I finally watched this again, and there were a few humorous comments I made to myself.

1) If I were a trainer and had to fight against the Mirage System, I'd be like "OMGWTFHAX!" I mean, oh my god. While the idea of the system is INCREDIBLE (and pretty good for taking over the world), I think it was just kinda... backwards. Had Dr. Yung marketed as a simulator, it would have been sweet. Trainers could use it to train their Pokemon against all types of different Pokemon. Oh well, there'd be no conflict then, I guess. It's a shame Misty's Staryu got owned so quickly. That's what she gets for having that boring Pokemon.

2) AHAHA, the good guys kept getting owned. I actually had to pause and laugh everytime Pikachu or whoever got slammed, and Mew's death was extremely pleasing and satisfying the second time I watched it. It's like:

*Mew blocks Mewtwo's Hyperbeam*
Good guys: AHA! See! Goodness and love will always win!
Dr. Yung: STFU, noobs!
*Mewtwo proceeds to beat the crap out of Mew*

It just brought a smile to my muzzle.

3) Oh my God, May's voice scared me. 'Nuff said.

4) I'm just amused at how Misty falls to her death and Ash goes on about Pikachu... only to forget about Pikachu for Mew... then remembers Pikachu, then Misty, then forgets about the both of them. The boy can't multitask to save his life.

5) Mewtwo. Should. Not. Speak. Ever.

6) This show's really amusing to watch. It reminds me of the action of the first season, aka, stand and shoot.

pokemaster394
20th September 2006, 4:47 PM
The voices used in this movie were : yuck! Other than that, it was fine.

Pika Hikari KT
13th October 2006, 9:48 PM
Watched the Japanese dub, which felt a whole lot better to me. Say it with me, guys: Rica OWNS.:D

There was one thing that confused me though--Yung wasn't called Hakase. Just referred to as Yung-kun by Oak and Yung-san by the others.:confused:

And for some unexplained reason, the Mirage Master was changed to--get this--Mr. Mirage, in all its Engrishy glory. I was quite amused by how they said it, nya.XD

rubyrulez
13th October 2006, 10:52 PM
I was up really early to see this in Japanese, as it came out. Much better than the English Dub.

I just wish they used a different opening...

cassius335
14th October 2006, 1:18 AM
Wonder why it took this long to hit Japanese screens.

And PLEASE tell me this wasn't all they meant by "will May and Max return?". That'd be just cruel.

Opal Pikachu13
14th October 2006, 2:01 AM
I seen the Japanese version today. A lot better than the English dubbed versions.

GoldSilverCrys
14th October 2006, 4:01 AM
I seen the Japanese version today. A lot better than the English dubbed versions.

OBIVOUSLY. like, they messed up with nearly EVERY special ep. Maybe you should go to Youtube to watch some of the jap eps.

Gravy
14th October 2006, 11:49 AM
Having watching the japanese version of this online, my final thoughts are; The plot still sucked, the animation was still crap in most parts, and the entire concept was still as cheesy as a Wotsit factory.
I don't care if it had the original japanese VAs, and I don't care if this was Wakashamo's final appearence in the show. The entire special still wasn't any better than the chewing gum stuck to the sole of my shoe.

Zubeon
15th October 2006, 7:21 AM
I thought the whole thing was really ominous, and with a bit of tweaking, could have been the 'mature' Pokemon that people want to see. I felt the same way about Movie 8.
And Jessie, Meowth, Max, Misty & Oak sounded fine.

~*Mudkip Fantastic*~
25th October 2006, 3:30 PM
I just saw it on Toomami and they cut it short! It ended when Mew used Protect to stop Mewtwos Hyperbeam. Then the credits came. I am very annoyed.

blazikenXD
25th October 2006, 7:37 PM
I just saw it on Toomami and they cut it short! It ended when Mew used Protect to stop Mewtwos Hyperbeam. Then the credits came. I am very annoyed.

i was watching that one too stupid toonami putting an old episode on in the midle

Esperon
25th October 2006, 8:21 PM
A few points made while watching the special:
Am watching it now on my recorder....I HATE THE DUBS!!! (english).
1)May's voice is...creepy, a 30something yr old voice from a 10 yr old...*shudder* plus the scripts REALLY need work...since when did Ash say "I'm syked??"
2)Animation is the worst I've ever see in pokemon...
3)And how did Staryu get well enough to pull Misty through the lake after Aggron destroyed it?
4)1st time TR get blown off, you hear a Wobbuffet at the end...Wobbuffett was in his ball...
5)Tis rather amusing to see Misty, Ash and Pikachu so easily removed by the machoke and machamp...
6)See what you mean about Ash and his lack of multitasking...IT'S SO FUNNY WHEN ASH GETS KNOCKED OUT!
7)Even Combuskin's voice is wrong...
8)Mewtwo is pretty cool though.
9)Hmmm Pikachu really seems to enjoy getting the crap beaten out of it....

AHHH it ended... I think Toonami are airing it as a 2 parter...
Overall, something that really needed some help...

Gravy
25th October 2006, 8:24 PM
plus the scripts REALLY need work...since when did Ash say "I'm syked??"
It's 'psyched'.
And truth be told, I'm.....really not seeing what the hell is wrong with that line. Especially since I've heard the guy say it once or twice before.

CyberCubed
25th October 2006, 11:31 PM
May still has the crappy line, "See? Sometimes I can do the right thing." while she saves Misty from her doom.

Utterly repulsive. When did Misty think May couldn't do the right thing? Misty never had any qualms with May in the series at all.

And why would May put herself down like that?

Disgusting, it's almost as if one of the 12 year old Pokeshippers of this forum wrote the plot for this special. I bet if PUSA makes another special down the road, they're have Hikari admit how "inferior" she is to precious Misty, and how darling Ash is off-limits to anyone but Misty.

Ugh.

blazikenXD
26th October 2006, 3:56 PM
the voices now are dumb one thing misty sounds younger than may but i know she's older and yep the animations are really stupid the computer flamethrower that mewtwo used missed

Nintendo_6444
29th October 2006, 12:38 AM
Mew sounds like a Deranged monley.... XD
I like her old Movie 1 voice better... :(

Shift
30th October 2006, 7:02 AM
Will the Japanese version disappear forever once the stream is over?

Satoshi
16th November 2006, 5:50 AM
Will the Japanese version disappear forever once the stream is over?
Unlikely, there'll surely be rental DVDs of it at least - or a TV airing.

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3876/vlcsnap501416vw7.png

Spotted an error in the animation. When you look closely, apparently Takeshi's drawn in this scene. Thing is, he wasn't even there but rather with Officer Junsa during the climax and most of the resolution.

grovile
6th December 2006, 10:26 PM
Awsum episode and you some hate this epissode are bad on pokemon.

squirtleboy12
11th December 2006, 1:17 PM
this was a sad special i cry seeing mirage mew..also prof.oak has a dragonite great!

10/10

King Slazo
3rd January 2007, 8:42 PM
I was looking foward to this much-hyped episode, but was let down by 3 critical flaws:
1) The animation isn't as good as the old shows.
2) Toonami UK decided on it's first showing they'd cut the final 5 minutes off!
3) Those voices...

Shame really, because it's a good idea and concept for a special, but doing those mistakes isn't the best way to ring in 10 years of Pokemon.

The Great Butler
8th February 2007, 2:55 AM
There's another mistake in the animation.

When they first leave the castle after Mewtwo's creation, Yung fires the rockets from the spires of the palace in order to create the Mirage System field.

Yet in the screen facing the front of the castle where the rockets are being fired, look closely and you can see Mirage Master standing outside the gate, Mewtwo by his side. Except, Mewtwo CAN'T be outside the castle's gate at that point because the mirage field isn't up yet.

A few moments later Mirage Master and Mewtwo are seen leaving the castle a second time, after the field is up.

Knight_Ram
8th February 2007, 11:04 AM
Prof.Oak what have they done to your voice...not good at all!

Kazuki Mirai
7th August 2007, 4:33 AM
*Ahem* My late review....

Every single thing in the story's plot... is cliche'd! Seriously, Professor Yung revealed to be the villain? Who else would there be on the show as a villain! I mean he's the only character introduced in the special for crying out loud!

They overpowered the Mirage Pokemon, barely giving the characters' own Pokemon some spotlight.

The characters rarely showed any sense of strategy at all... All they do is throw attacks mindlessly....

And the Mirage Field... reminds me of that thing in Rockman EXE, bringing the CyberWorld area thing into the Real World.

Everything in the special can be seen in several fanfics that lacked originality. >>

That's my review for now.

pipersgirl™
21st August 2007, 1:27 AM
I was soo happy to see Misty again.

pokeguru
3rd October 2008, 7:30 AM
The ending made no sense at all. Even though Dr. Yung's Mirage system was smashed to pieces, he refused to admit defeat!!!

And if he refuses to admit defeat, a sequel is inevitable.

Red Jr.
4th October 2008, 3:56 AM
wow people are complaining about their voices... PUSA wanted to test out some of the voice actors,so that was part of the reason why they made this special.If you buy the dvd,(which comes in bonus when u buy lucario and the mystery of mew),u'll see that that everyone is voiced by their BF voices.Except Ash,who is voiced by Sarah Naotchenny (idk why).The only VA who returns from 4kids is Rodger Parsons, who returned as the narrator.

Wowlock
28th March 2009, 12:49 AM
By looking of this special's produce, It's surely made for a trial ( I guess for DP series Voices ) and it feels like '' What the ... happening here '' May sounds like a boy really.

The one of most sadly things in this special is Mirage Mew's sacriface and Misty's last apperience in series. ( after all this special happens just before Battle Frontier Arc ) And in that episode Ash looks like ignore everything ( Even his Pikachu when it was taken by mirage pokemons, for a while of course ) and down even look afte Misty when she fall ? come on how can they make ash more ''Rock Alike''

I know this special is nothing to do with in normal anime but its still get in my nerves. Its pretty obvious that , this special is not made in Japan ( they should care about these parts ) So not much expectetions but its a serious downfall for me

Rex Kamex
1st April 2009, 11:42 PM
Wonder why it took this long to hit Japanese screens.

And PLEASE tell me this wasn't all they meant by "will May and Max return?". That'd be just cruel.

This special originally aired before May and Max left...

EDIT: On a completely different note, I like how they only used Japanese background music, and I like all of the BGM that played since the scene where Mirage Master reveals himself to be Dr. Young. Some of those pieces haven't played any other time in the dub. (Okay, I haven't seen every dub episode, but since I've seen most of them and they weren't in any of the episodes I've seen...)

For example, after Dr. Young reveals himself, there's a battle between Combusken, Pikachu, and Gyarados against Entei, Zapdos, and Atricuno. The BGM from that scene is the same one from when Meowth fought that Persian in "Go West, Young Meowth" (and this music did play in the dub). If it first played in any movie, it'd have to be the first one, but I don't know if it played in that movie.

Then there's the music that plays a bit later on when Mewtwo absorbs the data of Articuno, Zapdos, and Entei. That I've never heard in the dub, and it sounds like it could've been Japanese movie BGM, but I don't know if that's true.

Then after that one there's music that plays from when Pikachu starts fighting Mewtwo (after Team Rocket blasts off) until Pikachu does the final attack on Mewtwo. I don't know if it's one long piece or a bunch of pieces put together, but... yeah, it's probably movie music. I know a lot of music in the special is movie music...

And then there's the piece that plays when Mewtwo dies. Yeah...

milenadrg
29th June 2009, 12:20 PM
I have just watched episode. It was awesome, I liked it. Those Mirage Pokemon were great! It was nice seeing Misty, Mew and Mewtwo again...

Littlemyuu
8th July 2009, 11:13 PM
Love it, and never knew Oak had an Dragonite....This Mewtwo rocks!

pokedexfiller
13th September 2009, 9:56 PM
dang that was epic, but it was so sad what happened to mew

Rex Kamex
3rd October 2009, 5:32 AM
All right, to respond to what I said earlier... now that I have the Japanese Mewtwo movie sountrack (and the Lugia one too, but that one won't help me here)

EDIT: On a completely different note, I like how they only used Japanese background music, and I like all of the BGM that played since the scene where Mirage Master reveals himself to be Dr. Young. Some of those pieces haven't played any other time in the dub. (Okay, I haven't seen every dub episode, but since I've seen most of them and they weren't in any of the episodes I've seen...)

Meh... I already knew that one was from the Deoxys movie...

For example, after Dr. Young reveals himself, there's a battle between Combusken, Pikachu, and Gyarados against Entei, Zapdos, and Atricuno. The BGM from that scene is the same one from when Meowth fought that Persian in "Go West, Young Meowth" (and this music did play in the dub). If it first played in any movie, it'd have to be the first one, but I don't know if it played in that movie.

This one was from the Mewtwo movie, when Ash and co. were in the water trying to swim to shore or whatever, in the storm.

Then there's the music that plays a bit later on when Mewtwo absorbs the data of Articuno, Zapdos, and Entei. That I've never heard in the dub, and it sounds like it could've been Japanese movie BGM, but I don't know if that's true.

Okay, I still don't know where this one came from...

Then after that one there's music that plays from when Pikachu starts fighting Mewtwo (after Team Rocket blasts off) until Pikachu does the final attack on Mewtwo. I don't know if it's one long piece or a bunch of pieces put together, but... yeah, it's probably movie music. I know a lot of music in the special is movie music...

Turns out all of it is one piece of music. And it's not even the whole piece- but it might as well be.

And then there's the piece that plays when Mewtwo dies. Yeah...

Well, Mew died in that scene as well. Still don't know where that one came from, though. If I had to take a guess, it'd be when Entei disappeared in the Japanese version of third movie. *shrugs* (Look at me, guessing at these things...)

NES
7th November 2009, 1:15 AM
May still has the crappy line, "See? Sometimes I can do the right thing." while she saves Misty from her doom.

Utterly repulsive. When did Misty think May couldn't do the right thing? Misty never had any qualms with May in the series at all.

And why would May put herself down like that?

Ugh.

Hahaha 3 years later i must quote this.

Really, i just watched this special and i was thinking the same thing, that dialogue was uncalled for, she could say something else or nothing at all.

I guess they make her say that because May and Max were left behind to watch over those bushes or something like if they were a burden. But still...

I kind of liked this special (just watched it now for the first time), but it was cheesy with this evil scientific mind and his gameshark. It's hilarious when Ash forgets for like 5 minutes about Misty and instead tries to save a fake Mew.

⊱✿RedAshEntropy
7th November 2009, 1:19 AM
i like this pokemon special,

specially, ash,misty,may,max and brock were in this special,

i like it!!. . .

Lorde
3rd January 2010, 11:02 AM
I found this 10th anniversary special to be somewhat tacky. The first PUSA attempt to dub Ash's voice was an utter failure for starters, and it's the part I remembered the most of this episode.. The other voices took some getting used to but they worked well despite sounding different than the 4Kids voices. Anyway, I just didn't think the overall story with Mirage (fake) Pokemon worked. It felt too much like the first movie and it seemed like the events didn't even take place to begin with (meaning that they weren't canon). So it was a bad episode for me. 3/10.

Ash-kid
27th January 2010, 4:09 PM
Great special, my favorite. (if there is another one)

It was very cool to see Oak's Dragonite, a strong pokemon for Oak it's a big surprise.

9/10

Swampert_trainer
24th June 2010, 11:54 PM
Ash hardly even batted an eye lash when Misty fell to her possible death. The episode was alright. Mirage Mewtwo was so hacked it wasn't even funny. It was kind of ironic how the Mirage Master used Pikachu's memories of all the legendary Pokemon he has met on his journey with Ash to create Hacktwo.

Painkiller2001
3rd December 2010, 10:52 PM
That one battle scene against mirage Mewtwo was a lot more violent then I thought it would be. It was awesome!

Prof. Oak with a Dragonite. Didn't see that coming!

Tyranitar Rules
9th December 2010, 11:12 PM
It was a really good special movie, though Prof Oak having a Dragonite is a little random since he used a Pidgey in 'Will The Real Oak Please Stand up?' - Season 5:Master Quest

still, I like the ep

G50
1st March 2011, 7:38 PM
I liked this movie. It was great seeing Mew and Mewtwo again, even though they were only holograms. It was great to see Mew and Ash really get along and Mew really saving everyone by sacrificing itself and taking down Mewtwo down with it. Mewtwo's hologram abilities were awesome. The secret behind Mirage Master was easy for me to figure out before he revealed himself. The Hologram Aggron vs regular pokemon battle was really cool. It was great to see that Professor Oak had a Dragonite.

70/100

danparker
19th March 2011, 1:56 AM
I've watch this special almost 5 years ago. I thought it was okay in my opinion. I didn't mind the voice actors change, I thought they sounded similar to the original, with the exception of Ash, he didn't sound like the same.

I did like this special. I liked the ideas of mirage pokemons, it was okay. But I wonder if we'll see Dr. Yung again after this. Probably not. And what about the Mew in this special?

CyberCubed
21st April 2011, 12:27 AM
I wonder if the only reason Misty was in this special was because either 4kids/PUSA wanted her there? I say this because this is Misty's last appearance in the series, and they tested out a new Misty voice for no real reason, because her character never did show up ever again.

Its hard to believe its been nearly 6 years since this special aired, and this was the last time Misty ever appeared.

Thingamajig
21st April 2011, 12:54 AM
Well, if what's been said on the origins of this special was true it was initially just a fun 10th anniversary special and not a testing ground for the new voices.

That being said, it's not like PUSA could go to Rachael Lillis and say... oh hey, we don't need a new Misty so do you want to do it? We're still replacing you for season 9 though, sorry ^_^! Besides, when the special was dubbed there was nothing to suggest that Misty wasn't going to appear again for over 5 years.

Caseydia
8th November 2011, 4:38 AM
There sometimes is no reason why they put certain characters in episodes. Like when they often bring in Zoey, Bianca or Professor Oak. It really isn't a lot of times needed. But it was just for people to remember them. That doesn't mean they should shove them in our faces.

Blessed
28th March 2012, 6:08 AM
Best Mirage Pokemon Moments: May saves Misty from certain death!!

CyberCubed
28th March 2012, 7:00 AM
Best Mirage Pokemon Moments: May saves Misty from certain death!!

I am glad they had May save Misty rather than the other way around. It was nice to see May be the hero since at this point she was far more experienced than she was in early AG when Misty first met her.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)
28th March 2012, 7:05 AM
Atleast they tried....

Blessed
29th March 2012, 12:08 AM
I am glad they had May save Misty rather than the other way around. It was nice to see May be the hero since at this point she was far more experienced than she was in early AG when Misty first met her.

Yes it was nice because it strengthened their friendship and when they fought along side Mewtwo, I would be indifferent to who saved who because either way they would become closer as friends with mutual respect!

Atleast they tried....

Are you referring to what I said? If so, yes they did make an attempt.

Caseydia
29th March 2012, 1:47 AM
Professor Oak did not need to be in yet another movie. And yes, Cyber, it was nice of the writers actually giving May the secondary main hero role like they was supposed to have given her.

minerswhocraft
31st July 2014, 2:51 AM
Thought the idea was pretty cool, the art was also pretty cool, yet the animation was very goofy. I loved the new voices (aside from Ash) I thought the voice work was a much needed change! I didn't realize just how much the original voices had been getting old. A nice fresh change really did well!

What bugged me most was that, in all the battling, nobody decide to change or just send out more of their own pokemon. There is Pikachu, near death, continuing to battle while Ash has his whole team ready to go!

Misty was also super well done in this special. She reminded me alot of her old self. This was also a refreshing change! May was cool too, which was also a nice change!

Overall, all the changes were really cool! The plot was... crazy, but all in all it was fun to watch and nice to Misty again, of course!

Dawn+Serena Fan
31st July 2014, 6:11 PM
This special is just bad imo. I didn't mind the va change much except for Ash's and Jessie's. The plot was horrible though, it felt like it was written like a bad fanfic imo. I didn't mind Misty being there, it was a nice addition tbh.
4/10

DarkLucarioADV
31st July 2014, 7:19 PM
Ah, the MoMP special. I cannot believe how terrible this was. From the bad voice acting to the story it was all a lost cause imo. Misty being here was just for fanservice and wouldnt have changed at all if she weren't here. Overall, my least favorite special next to Origins.

I give it a 0/10, please avoid this special if you can, it's plain awful.

I remember a few years back when I first saw this on Kids WB and thought the idea of holographic Pokemon was just stupid lol

Ash's new voice also gave me shivers. It was just so bad.

0/10 haven't watched it since

Lol, I got it on DVD with M08 for free. I thought it was okay, but yeah agree.

Even in the TPCi re-dubbing, it was still beyond bad.

nuzamaki90
31st July 2014, 7:21 PM
I remember a few years back when I first saw this on Kids WB and thought the idea of holographic Pokemon was just stupid lol

Dark/Legendary Master
31st July 2014, 7:23 PM
This special was...2/10
Less said the better.

Dawn+Serena Fan
31st July 2014, 7:27 PM

Lol on top of that the mirage Pokemon were way overpowered and pretty much like Mary Sue/Gary stu characters. It was like someone used gameshark on their Pokemon or something lol. I didn't really like the villain much either, he seemed way too generic imo and his plan to get revenge was just stupid imo lol.

DarkLucarioADV
31st July 2014, 7:30 PM
Lol on top of that the mirage Pokemon were way overpowered and pretty much like Mary Sue/Gary stu characters. It was like someone used gameshark on their Pokemon or something lol. I didn't really like the villain much either, he seemed way too generic imo and his plan to get revenge was just stupid imo lol.

Exactly, I mean they seemed like hacked Pokemon but even worse imo. And that villain, oh lord even he was awful, I mean he's plain and dull imo. What fun was he? Agreed wholeheartedly.

nuzamaki90
31st July 2014, 7:32 PM
Exactly, I mean they seemed like hacked Pokemon but even worse imo. And that villain, oh lord even he was awful, I mean he's plain and dull imo. What fun was he? Agreed wholeheartedly.

I don't even remember who he was or what his purpose was for creating the Miragemons but man was that idea dumb. Just what would he do if the system caught a bug and the Mirage Pokemon turned on him?

DarkLucarioADV
31st July 2014, 7:36 PM
I don't even remember who he was or what his purpose was for creating the Miragemons but man was that idea dumb. Just what would he do if the system caught a bug and the Mirage Pokemon turned on him?

Basically he said real Pokemon were trash since they had elemental weaknesses, so he decided to change that by making MirageMons which were Mega Ultra Powerful. IKR? Yup, unless he had another plan to take care of that possible outcome, it could've been lights out for him, permanently.

minerswhocraft
31st July 2014, 8:11 PM
The use of the holograms and their limitless possibilities was very stupid and the whole Mew thing was as well. But the idea of creating holograms to use as practice was a neat one!

It is true that Misty didn't have to be there. Although I LOVED seeing her back, it was just too pointless to enjoy. Hell, Ash had just as little reason to be there as Misty did.

But what I did like was that characters did have personality and they were fun to watch while not being tied up in the silly plot. I mean, Brock was hilarious and so was Misty!

But really, I did like the new voices, even though everyone else here seems to not, haha. Ash's voice however is unforgivable...

CyberCubed
31st July 2014, 8:12 PM
Ash's voice is really bad at first but it improves as the show goes on.

pokemon fan 132
31st July 2014, 8:43 PM
Wow amount of dislike and ceriticism for this special is unbelivable. I mean i know that most voices were bad, but come on i rewatched Mastermind of Mirage pokemon spoecial few days ago and i sincerely liked it for several reasons.

Personally i enjoyed in flux of memorable, packed with tension, jokes and support interactions prevailing there between Ash and his traveling companions. With all characters being natural, authentic and enjoyable not regressing in development received in canon through regular anime or chronicles prior to that.

I actually liked writer idea of taking look at pokemon world from different corner. In giving us insight in what appeared to be renowned scientist who was expelled from pokemon research institute because of cruel and questionable methods. Showing how behind pleasant, polite exterior is hiding socipath, megalomaniac in search for revenge, power and respect being cruel and evil to the point of not having redeemable qualities(aka Hunter J).

It was certainly more original and creative than typical overused concept of villains using devices to control pokemon to do things against their will, or cliched route of dividing things in black and white when it comes to villains making clear separation between "good" and "bad" coming of as flat, one dimensional characters.

With dr. Yung coming of as grey character who changed for worse after riducule and humiliation he went through becoming corrupted and bittered.

I also welcomed conceotion behind using collected DNA from all living creatures inserting them in virtual form trying through revolutionary technology to create perfect pokemon without flaws. Reminding me of Digimon anime and whole data, holographic features coming to life.

At least to me it seemed like fresh and untried plot in pokemon anime until than.

Wholeheartedly recommending this special for anyone who is looking for good action, innovative ideas which you dont meet every day and genuinely dynamic interactions between characters.

Ah, the MoMP special. I cannot believe how terrible this was. From the bad voice acting to the story it was all a lost cause imo. Misty being here was just for fanservice and wouldnt have changed at all if she weren't here. Overall, my least favorite special next to Origins.

I give it a 0/10, please avoid this special if you can, it's plain awful.

I actually enjoyed in Mastermind of Mirage pokemon special and i also beg to differ on Misty playing no relevance there.

Purpose behind this special was to mark 10 years of pokemon franxhise existence, reuniting all of part and current traveling companions at one place doing big reunion.

Not to mention i dont know about you guys but Misty played biggest role in that special next to Ash. She challenged dr. Yung battling with his mirage pokemon, she went with Ash to castle to free prof. Oak from Yung captivity.
Along with having nice bonding moments with May when her life was saved strengthening on friendship, later battling horde of dr. Doom (basically masked Yung)mirage pokemon and overpowered Mewtwo with her gyarados.

Not to mention aside from change of voice which did bothered me Misty was highly entertaining(in most cases she is, but still). With her playful, sarcastic and spunky nature teasing Ash, being irked at Brock girl chasing tendencies, and mature having competitive spirit in her demonstrating how to aproach urgent situations in assertive, levelheaded way.
She delivered more continuity, humor and excitement to plot which wouldnpt been nearly as fun without her included imho.Asw well opportunity to see some update on her strengthening storyline.

In general i appreciated creation of Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special if anything than because of intention present behind it. Something what truly counts.
Pokemon USA in cooperation with Japanese writers and producers wanted to reward fans for loyalty through reunion of all Ash friends, mark 10th anniversarry in appropriate movie like way, and pay attention to continuity, history and previous characters strengthening series plot and message about unbreakable bond which ties Ash with all his friends with their impact, dreams and legacy left on anime being remembered and acknowledged.

Something which stopped being practice in regular pokemon anime long, long time ago. For that reason alone i can respect and appreciate effort and time dedicated in producing this.

Dark/Legendary Master
31st July 2014, 8:45 PM
Ash's voice is really bad at first but it improves as the show goes on.
Yeah. At first I hated the new voices but as time went on the VAs became comfortable and grew into their own in their roles.

Lionel
28th August 2014, 3:23 AM
Haha, look at all of you squirming at the shitty dub voices. Thank god there's an English sub for this. At least the Japanese team knew what they were doing, keeping the old voices.

So glad to see Kasumi return... even if she's still portrayed as a weak-*** trainer damsel in distress. Hell, the whole scene with Haruka saving her was a blatant jab against Kasaumi and her fans by saying that "GET OVER IT, HARUKA IS REPLACING HER!". Jeez. Where the hell is her Gyarados? And wouldn't Kasumi be sensible enough to take back her Starmie from her sister, considering that she's accepted a battle proposal? Why the hell did she use one of her weakest Pokemon ever? Right, because **** logic.

pokemon fan 132
28th August 2014, 7:34 AM
Haha, look at all of you squirming at the shitty dub voices. Thank god there's an English sub for this. At least the Japanese team knew what they were doing, keeping the old voices.

So glad to see Kasumi return... even if she's still portrayed as a weak-*** trainer damsel in distress. Hell, the whole scene with Haruka saving her was a blatant jab against Kasaumi and her fans by saying that "GET OVER IT, HARUKA IS REPLACING HER!". Jeez. Where the hell is her Gyarados? And wouldn't Kasumi be sensible enough to take back her Starmie from her sister, considering that she's accepted a battle proposal? Why the hell did she use one of her weakest Pokemon ever? Right, because **** logic.

To me she didn't seemed that way. Misty was portrayed as tough, headstrong character who wasn't safraid to say what she thinks and take charge in resolving problems not lowering her guard infront of others. Showing sassy feisty nature in arguing with Ash, Brock obsession oer opposite gender, dr. Doom etc brimming with pride and confidence in her abilities.

I mean when Ash went to castle to free prof. Oak she didn't stayed behind but decided to be part of action, took charge in finding Ash and others helping them out when meeting up with May , entered battle with dr. Yung filled with overconfidence thinking she cannot lose etc.

Whole scene of May saving her life was meant to symbolize good friendship present between two girls with urgent moments like this strengthening on that(although ill be honest i always thought it was mistake to replace character with such rich personality, sense of awareness and strong attitude not backing down to challenge like Misty leaving lot of potential to do more wuth her water master career, pokemlon, quite sad past of growing without parents etc unexplored, finding Hoenn would've been better if she got kept).

Agree over being questionable in Misty not bringing Starmie with her. That thing is a beast in games, but it showed quite a few times in anime too how powerful it can be posessing wide range of techniqies, strong moves and agility making for formidable force. However i think choice of bringing rather Staryu has to do more with personal attachment and big care showed toward this pokemon, with Misty more than once revealing her preference to it.

Not to mention based on all that training, battles Staryu participated in showing impressive dexterity, speed and strength of its attacks(i mean it was holding its own ground against double powered Mantine from Molly n third movie, while all Brock pokemon in comparison quickly fell down in facing mirage pokemon or defeating Tentacruel from Marina with just one attack)). I really wouldn't be surprised that Staryu despite being pre evolved form is stronger than Starmie. Especially when knowing Misty sisters i doubt they trained it much while she was on journey with Ash.