PDA

View Full Version : Reasoning for people to start playing the TCG again

Esperante
2nd May 2006, 6:33 AM
Sort of a continuation from the "why did people stop playing" thread, but in the opposite sense. This thread is to show that the game is not at all dead, but in fact is doing very well. Think nobody in your area plays the game anymore? Lets see what you have to say after checking this thread out.

The game is not dead. Want proof? Try going to www.pokegym.net . This forum contains thousands of avid Pokemon TCG fans from all around the world. Want more proof? Nintendo POP ID numbers are going into (I believe) the 400,000s now. (mine is in the first 4000, hehe. :D) There are still many, many players of the game, so why shouldnt you be one of them?

Secondly, for those of you say you quit because theres no one in your area. Know what? Chances are, there ARE people who play in your area.

Check out both

http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/league/locator/ which is the league locator

and

http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/events/locator/?event_type=23&location=north_america which is an example of a locator for one of the many premier events held by nintendo every year.

You may argue that the game was "better" under previous management (WoTC) but in fact, the card game is now much more understandable, streamlined, and tournaments are much more organized.

So you know what to do. Find a league in your area, and start playing again. Get back in on all the fun. ;)

I'll leave this thread open for any discussion that members might have continuing from the "why did people stop playing" thread.

Astinus
2nd May 2006, 7:27 AM
I used the League Locator to find a League in my area. It was after I went to a tournament in Boston. My love of the TCG was revitalised. I started buying the boosters again.

Tons of fun. Met up with my old friends. Made some new ones. Life is good again on Saturday mornings. Now, hopefully, the League won't close down like the old one. :<

Cutiebunny
2nd May 2006, 7:31 AM
No, I don't think that the game is dead. In my case, the following apply:

I have an official job that makes me work a rotating schedule of 6 days of work followed by 2 days of rest...and more overtime than you can shake a Pokeball at. Going to a league and playing is difficult when your start and end times vary.

I did, for a time, get out of the Pokemon game once Neo Discovery came out. I really wasn't impressed by the set, and the allure of collecting the first editions(which, were the only cards I ever purchased) just seemed to fade. The set came out when I was transitioning from college to adult life...so, there may have been more going on than just the quality of the set.

I did, upon the release of EX Sandstorm, get back into the Pokemon card collecting world. I've been actively purchasing boxes of the new release sets(and catching up on the old sets that I missed out on) since then.

I think that players growing out of the game is very common. While there will always be new children that will gravitate to the game, the older players(like myself) are slowly filtering out into the adult world and finding that we don't have the time and/or money to dedicate to the game anymore.

Well, that's my two cents.

Shiloh Phoenix
11th May 2006, 2:14 AM
alright, you listened! sweet, this is exactly what I had in mind. Good job! *thumbs up*

shadowofdreams
24th May 2006, 2:29 AM
i am a pokemon card collecter and have tons of cards but everybody where I live likes yu-gi-oh which i think sucks rotten eggs and i don't understand the rules and when i look at the leage locator it says it can only search north america which i live in but i really want to get started. please, will anybody help?

Hot Charizard
30th May 2006, 8:31 AM
I loved Pokemon card and i still do
the prob is i haven't played it in years so i dont know anything about the new cards
the other prob is that i live in the UAE and i dont think there are any poke fans left in this country

Captain Brain
30th May 2006, 9:24 AM
The league locator worked for me but the league meets on Saturday and I usually have to work that day. That's life.

Edit: Is the UAE the United Arab Emirates and do you live next to the Persian Gulf or Gulf of Oman. ;025;

Hot Charizard
30th May 2006, 9:26 AM
The league locator worked for me but the league meets on Saturday and I usually have to work that day. That's life.

Edit: Is the UAE the United Arab Emirates and do you live next to the Persian Gulf or Gulf of Oman. ;025;
yes thats the one

Headshot-Jackal465
15th June 2006, 4:31 PM
I don't like the modified version of the game. I simply do not like the new cards at all.
I stick with cards in the sets base-team rocket for decks, but I collect cards up through the neo series.
I stopped playing when the game got less fun.

Emeralda
15th June 2006, 4:47 PM
Well, I only like the older cards (which I hear is a problem in tournament play). First six or so sets. Anyone from London like playing cards? There's no leagues near there. Apart from Slough which is only nearish, and I'm not going into Burger King.

chosen_one386
15th June 2006, 8:33 PM
I still build decks and collect cards from every new series. Although, I don't have anyone to play against and the nearest league is an hour and a half away.

Shiloh Phoenix
19th June 2006, 6:48 PM
I don't like the modified version of the game. I simply do not like the new cards at all.
I stick with cards in the sets base-team rocket for decks, but I collect cards up through the neo series.
I stopped playing when the game got less fun.

Less fun? oh you mean when first turn cheap wins on a coin flip weren't possible anymore.

okothnuva
19th June 2006, 8:17 PM
Less fun? oh you mean when first turn cheap wins on a coin flip weren't possible anymore.

still is.

opening hand:

squirtle, rare candy, blastoise ex, lugia ex, water energy, water energy, holon's magneton.

:p

Cipher_Admin
23rd June 2006, 2:42 AM
Lots of better cards

Modified is a whole lot better than unlimited!!!!!!!!!!

coolcobra77
16th July 2006, 1:08 AM
scary I looked 250 miles around my area, absolutely nada... lol

maximo-76
27th July 2006, 5:44 AM
the search dontw ork for me! i liked it but until a short time after neo destiny came out i played the games on and off but never got back into the tcg

Cipher 2008
29th July 2006, 11:18 PM
Lots of better cards

Modified is a whole lot better than unlimited!!!!!!!!!!

I heartily agree! ^_^ I love a challenge. Having to compensate for rotated-out cards every September is SO much fun! :D And no, I'm not crazy.

KiryuTheDragon
2nd August 2006, 4:49 PM
I'd be very tempted to start again, but to be honest I typically have bad luck with card games and pulling stuff from boosters, so on others I tend to stay away from organized play. The last organized event I went to was a Gym Heroes Prerelease and back then I totally got kicked around. And no one I know personally plays it. So for me, its a situation like with the Naruto card game: There's not much worth behind trying to start again. Plus, money is tight right now, so unless some of the stuff I have for sale on my website starts selling, I wouldn't have much money for this.

And I stopped during Neo Genesis because my former stepbrothers (my main opponents) and I started to shift towards Magic: the Gathering.

Avegaille
4th August 2006, 4:57 PM
You know, I was one of those people who started playing the TCG because of the Third Generation Set. What made me even more continue playing and even making a sensible deck is the leagues near me and the people who I met that helped me out with strategies and everything...

I have to admit, the new sets coming out makes me wish to play the TCG even more, if I had the money... ;.; But too bad I don't so I'm stuck with my deck which I used for the Nationals... >.>

chester
22nd August 2006, 9:17 AM
I don't care what most people say, I like the TCG and will keep playing it.

Cipher 2008
22nd August 2006, 2:50 PM
That's the spirit.

I've found a league not very far from me, so I'll be using my Devil's Duty deck for that. It's one of the Battle Frontier leagues; I've missed Battle Pyramid, which was 2nd June to 20th July, but Battle Tower's on until 10th September. WOO! Finally getting a POP ID! :D

Mech_Master
26th August 2006, 9:54 PM
I'd be very tempted to start again, but to be honest I typically have bad luck with card games and pulling stuff from boosters, so on others I tend to stay away from organized play. The last organized event I went to was a Gym Heroes Prerelease and back then I totally got kicked around. And no one I know personally plays it. So for me, its a situation like with the Naruto card game: There's not much worth behind trying to start again. Plus, money is tight right now, so unless some of the stuff I have for sale on my website starts selling, I wouldn't have much money for this.

And I stopped during Neo Genesis because my former stepbrothers (my main opponents) and I started to shift towards Magic: the Gathering.
I suggest you start playing again, even if you have no one to play with at the moment. I started up again and I already have gotten 5 people back into Pokemon (not just the tcg but just in general). :]

DEMONOFDEATH
28th August 2006, 7:22 PM
I have been playin since the beginning. I kinda quit at Neo Destiny & got back into it around Ruby & Sapphire. I saw the new things that were happening to Pokčmon & had to get back into it. I can't say I'm a big fan of the modified list. I hate to buy cards & not b able to use them in the future. It's a waist of money. That's y I don't play Magic:The Gathering. I don't go to any tournaments b/c none r near me. I don't use any old trainer cards b/c the newer ones r waaaaay better. I don't use much old Pokčmon cards at that. I'm still tryin to find some people that play's around my area. One person I know at the Yu-Gi-Oh league plays, but that is about it. But I still enjoy it very much.

Some of the locators really suck. Not enough people get on some of these sites where I live. I'm sure it would b a lot easier to find people if they all listed where they were from. I wish it was forced to do when making an account on most Pokčmon sites. Like for this site, not many people put where they live.

Cipher 2008
28th August 2006, 7:35 PM
If you hate buying cards that you "can't use in the future", why not play in Unlimited Format tournaments as well as Modified Format tournaments?

Ryu99
28th August 2006, 8:55 PM
i started playing again a few weeks back me and someone else went through all my ex card sets that i have collected and managed to build a half decent deck it keeps winning which is good and the shop i play in is gonna start a league

DEMONOFDEATH
29th August 2006, 1:56 AM
If you hate buying cards that you "can't use in the future", why not play in Unlimited Format tournaments as well as Modified Format tournaments?

O trust me, I would love to if there were tournaments near me. The closest one is around a hour & a half away. I live in Florence, SC & the tournies r all Columbia, SC & Myrtle Beach, SC. No way am I goin to get over there with gas like it is. Maybe if it keeps goin down like it is here, I'll try it, but besides that, it ain't happening.

& I was woundering, can we use cards back from the beginning of the TCG for Unlimited formatż As in the base set from the Neo setsż

Mech_Master
29th August 2006, 2:56 AM
O trust me, I would love to if there were tournaments near me. The closest one is around a hour & a half away. I live in Florence, SC & the tournies r all Columbia, SC & Myrtle Beach, SC. No way am I goin to get over there with gas like it is. Maybe if it keeps goin down like it is here, I'll try it, but besides that, it ain't happening.

& I was woundering, can we use cards back from the beginning of the TCG for Unlimited formatż As in the base set from the Neo setsż
You live in SC? I live in Myrtle Beach but I don't know where any tournaments would be. If you ever hear of any around here let me know :]

KiryuTheDragon
29th August 2006, 7:27 AM
I suggest you start playing again, even if you have no one to play with at the moment. I started up again and I already have gotten 5 people back into Pokemon (not just the tcg but just in general). :]

Oh, I have friends who are also still into Pokemon, but they've given up on card games. Besides, my money issues are deep ($250 owed for rest of tuition for coming semester of college, $300+ to fix my iBook, who knows how much for school books, etc.), so not much to spare for card games anymore.

Cipher 2008
29th August 2006, 11:22 AM
& I was woundering, can we use cards back from the beginning of the TCG for Unlimited formatż As in the base set from the Neo setsżYeah, all sets from the Base Set can be used, right up to today's sets.

theblackpearl719
1st September 2006, 3:32 AM
The pokemon tcg shall live on forever pokemon 4 life

theblackpearl719
1st September 2006, 3:38 AM
The Rayquaza and Syther pokemon cards are the best ever they are the greatest pokemon of all time and always will be but Gyradros is still awesome as well. ;384; ;123; ;130;

okothnuva
1st September 2006, 4:14 AM
The Rayquaza and Syther pokemon cards are the best ever they are the greatest pokemon of all time and always will be but Gyradros is still awesome as well. ;384; ;123; ;130;

No they aren't.

Not even close.

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/681/slowkingid3.jpg

Cipher 2008
1st September 2006, 1:56 PM
There is no 'greatest card ever'. Any card can beat any card.

theblackpearl719
4th September 2006, 8:15 AM
Well the pokemon Scyther and Rayquaza in general are the greatest pokemon ever but Gyradros still rocks too at least in my opinion there the best

okothnuva
4th September 2006, 6:25 PM
Yeah, sure. When all three have a huge weakness to rock.

Now, get back on topic.

theblackpearl719
4th September 2006, 7:00 PM
Fine well the TCG is awesome and people should play it because its pure fun and it makes you want to get more and more until the Pokemon Indusrtry runs out of ideas for pokemon which will probaly be never.

theblackpearl719
4th September 2006, 7:01 PM
Fine well the TCG is awesome and people should play it because its pure fun and it makes you want to get more and more until the Pokemon Indusrtry runs out of ideas for pokemon which will probaly be never.

theblackpearl719
4th September 2006, 7:01 PM

theblackpearl719
4th September 2006, 7:02 PM
Somethings wrong with my computer sorry

Scarlet Spyder
26th September 2006, 5:39 AM
To play relive the moments with friends. Me and about 5 other friends all bought starters just to play eachother.

Teru-teruMomiji
3rd October 2006, 2:54 PM
Believe it or not, I don't know the rules of playing >_> I mean, I know what the numbers are and stuff; I just never sat down to read an instruction manual, or examined the positions of the decks etc, or even touched damage counters. The only battles I ever had just included taking turns of distributing attacks. We disregarded weaknesses and never used energy cards=_= Still, that was fun :P
But mainly now I keep my cards because I like just looking at them and reading them. Yep, other than that they are absolutely useless. I value them because of their artworks, and how rare they may or may not be, and the stories behind each and every card^_^

Hey the rest of you guys here, do any of you keep/collect Pokemon cards not necessarily to battle them with? Have any of you collected them, played with them, then kept them for sentimental value, and nothing else?

mudkip
5th October 2006, 8:31 PM
the pokemon tcg is friggin awsome i dont think it ever died and just alot of people wont admit it but evryone has a place in therer heart for pokemon and its evergrowing tcg, i went to a local tourniment and i did pretty well and if you look there will be tournys evrywere. the only poblem with this tcg is people think its childish when its not wait a second... why the hell did they introduce a ban list, i finaly got hold of 4 dark tyrannitars and theve just been banned, set by set grrr thts stupid if ya ask me they should just ban broken cards like dusclops ex and blstoise ex :( lukaly at the tourniment i play at it lets you use 4 non ex pack cards and the rest all ex pack cards :P

it beats most tcgs hands down i nearly quit yu gi oh to play pokemon more competeivley and increase my card pool but ygo is just too poular and ive been playin it for 4 -5 years now :) ygo is the best tcg and probibly the most poular (torniment last week had 127 people show at shefffi ) i think pokemon is better than magic the gathering as it covers most age ranges :P plus the d/p cards luk great wit the energyless attacks thing going on :)

.:Jirachi:.
19th October 2006, 1:18 AM
I kinda slipped away about a year ago during the johto leagues and just fell off now im gonna start over with a jirachi EX and a lugia EX deck,!

GET BACK IN THE GAME GUYS!!

BlackViper
19th October 2006, 2:17 AM
I really want to get back into it but I dont want to look like a freak buying pokemon cards at target. I mean I know its not really childish but other people think it is I mean my dad basically makes fun of me for playing the games.

Also what are "broken cards". I also dont like the banning of cards I mean whats wrong with ol cards. SInce they ban cards would it still be ok to start playing now and not worring about banned cards for a while.

okothnuva
19th October 2006, 2:37 AM
They banned old cards because some cards were way too overpowered. Proferssor Oak, Erika, Base Blastoise, SNeasel NG, Slowking are just examples.

Deathrow
20th December 2006, 5:37 AM
Theres no league within 250 miles from me :(
I want to use my cards in action!

Emeralda
5th February 2007, 2:45 PM
I have never met a single person in real life who plays the card game!!! So frustrating.

I searched the shopping mall for cards this morning. All they had was the World Championship Decks. So I bought the Eevee Evolutions and B-L-S ones. I love them so far. But I want to play someone real.

Rather than myself.

I've sent an e-mail to the London League guy and joined pokégym, but a year of searching has got me nowhere. I once got my brother to play, but he hates the decks I build, and his are amazingly weak. (12 basic, 4 evolution, 30 energy, 14 crappy trainers for example.) He couldn't even use a deck that was a mix of certain ex cards built around Jungle Wigglytuff's do the Wave. not even with Poké Fan Club and Lanette's Net Search to help! He insisted on using Chansey's Double Edge, then 4 potions (which he added) then Double Edge again. Useless boy.

If I do go to a tournament I'll be awful because of no experience, but I'd love it. So please,please, rather than giving me links like I've previously had, does anyone at all know of any tournaments DEFINATELY happening in London soon?

sandslash_1
16th April 2007, 5:37 PM
I've always been into the Tcg since i was litle i was in the league i got up to my 6th badge then stopped and rejoined a couple of years later i still play with my friends and i haven't stopped so i never really stopped playing the TCG.

Misty's Double
16th April 2007, 5:39 PM
Me and my boyfriend saw tins of Pokémon cards in GAME, and decided we wanted to get back into the TCG just for something to do.

We've spent a lot on it already though; this shipment of ten packets that I'm expecting is the last lot in a while, that's for sure.

lukatron
9th May 2007, 8:26 AM
Hi, I live in Minnesota and have been playing Magic the Gathering TCG pretty hardcore for like 10 yrs...I'm getting back into pokemon and I want to start playing in tournaments...Problem is I have NO idea where to start...I'm not super fammiliar with all the cards and I want to pick up some but the problem is I don't want to just start spending a bunch of $$$ on random boosters n junk...anyone have any suggestions?...theres a "battle road" tourney coming up next month and I want to play in it by then...any tips?...thanks guys...

Ohh yea and I think a reason that would make me start wanting to play even more is if there was a sanctioned/competative "eternal" format where the use of cards from all sets are permitted but monitored highly and have "restricted" and "banned" cards so you could still use your old school cards but the really good/broken ones would be restricted (only can use one in a deck)...anywho...thats just my fantasy...I'll keep dreamin' I guess

also...do they still have sweet metal "pokemon badges" you can win from tournaments n junk?..cause that would totally make me want to play more...hahah

Pearl's Perap
13th July 2007, 2:49 AM
It is a shame that using the League Locator is exclusive to the USA and Canada, I would like to find a local-ish league in the UK since i'm JUST getting back into the trading card game. If anyone can help me regarding UK leagues, drop me a PM, I will be nothing but happy to recieve it.

TrueCharizard
13th October 2007, 7:56 PM
Reasons:
It's the only TCG I can play well hungover. Honestly, it is soo easy. There's not even any thought required to play it. You simply use the good trainer cards that let you draw half your deck every turn, put out a humongous pokemon and let 'er rip.

TrueCharizard
13th October 2007, 7:58 PM
Reasons:
It's the only TCG I can play well hungover. Honestly, it is soo easy. There's not even any thought required to play it. You simply use the good trainer cards that let you draw half your deck every turn, put out a humongous pokemon and let 'er rip.

-Summer-
22nd October 2007, 12:50 AM
Im probably getting a few packs soon, I have alot of rare cards already because I was a huge collecter back then

Count Drosselmeyer
11th May 2008, 7:18 PM
Well, I haven't played in five years since my Toys R Us stopped holding official Leagues back in the WotC days. Now I want to get back into it, and used the League Locator, but there aren't any within 250 miles of me.

I live in Flagler Beach, Florida, so if anyone knows of a group I could meet up with that isn't too far away, send me a PM. Daytona or Ormond Beach would be preferred. Can't make it to Orlando.

Brado
13th May 2008, 6:44 PM
I recently started playing again, me and my friend bought a starter each and it was so fun playing.

We buy boosters all the time and have managed to find a league near me =] Going on saturday.

I think it's an awesome fun game that is way worth the money =]

confusedcalzum
17th May 2008, 7:04 PM
the anime and the games
i colected the old ones but just started angan like 2 monthes ago
P.S im The Friend the brado was talking bout = D

IchirakuRamen
2nd June 2008, 5:51 AM
I started back up because my friend is like high ranked here in TN, and we have an official Pokemon league holder here in Memphis, which is about a 15 minute drive, so it's fun but I have yet to get all the cards for my perfect normal deck based around Garchomp

IchirakuRamen
2nd June 2008, 5:53 AM
I started back up because my friend is like high ranked here in TN, and we have an official Pokemon league holder here in Memphis, which is about a 15 minute drive, so it's fun but I have yet to get all the cards for my perfect normal deck based around Garchomp

IchirakuRamen
2nd June 2008, 5:54 AM
Yeah my friend got me into it he's high ranked, and over here we have an official Pokemon league holder that's only 15 minutes away, so it's cool

IchirakuRamen
2nd June 2008, 6:08 AM
Yeah my friend got me into it he's high ranked, and over here we have an official Pokemon league holder that's only 15 minutes away, so it's cool

Munchy.42
2nd June 2008, 1:58 PM
I was thinking of starting to play again, but I want to know what decks are good at the moment. Would a deck revolved around Banette EX or Dragonite EX work? Sorry, if posting oin this thread counts as spam, but I didn't want to make a whole thread about it.

mukmaster
3rd June 2008, 3:57 AM
I absolutely love the Pokemon TCG, but in my heart ever since Nintendo took over the rights of wizard to design and produce cards. I feel that cards are very OP and have little value once the next set is built and released.

Setever
12th June 2008, 9:34 PM
I had gained interest again a while back.... and got together a team to start building a Pokemon TCG playing program... like Apprentice, but slightly better ( ;P ) .. and have been working on that. Progress is rough, though. But the love for the TCG is going to make it keep going.

That's what I've started playing again.

Setever
12th June 2008, 9:36 PM
I had gained interest again a while back.... and got together a team to start building a Pokemon TCG playing program... like Apprentice, but slightly better ( ;P ) .. and have been working on that. Progress is rough, though. But the love for the TCG is going to make it keep going.

That's what I've started playing again.

XSilverStarboyX
19th June 2008, 11:38 AM
I havent played since Neo Destiny first came out. I think its because my mom just stopped taking me to the leagues and I couldnt find anyone who played the game. I ran into someone at an anime convention this weekend who told me he still played the game and theres a league about 30 minutes away. Im gonna go to it this Friday. If I like it, I think Ill start playing again. What sucked is when I first played the game, I was young and had no way of getting money so I had to hope that my family would buy me cards which rarely happened. But now that I have a job, I can access cards easier. I bought myself a Majestic Dawn deck yesterday. I wish they would re-release Jhoto Pokemon since I dont think the old cards are legal in gameplay anymore;152;

df006
23rd June 2008, 10:44 AM
I am trying to get back in Pokemon TCG but I am having problems-all the cards in the shops here are fake cards imported from China.At first I thought they wer misprins but now I know,even though they don't look it,they are fake.That is why I have very few REAL DP cards-like Lugia[DP SW] and 2-3 others.

soccerboyahk
25th June 2008, 12:38 AM
i have problems too: i live in a very remote area (vermont) and the closest league is in another state and more than an hour and a half away. all my friends play Pokemon but none want to play in a league. i am working on a deck and asking people online if they live near me to see if they want to make a league cause i think i can convince my friends to play once the league is up, running and close

darkrai2cool4u
2nd July 2008, 2:46 AM
well, i started playing in the base set, then ended probobably at fire red and leaf green, gave away all my cards (thousands, which i now completely regret). I started up again just a couple months ago and have joined a league and it rules!!!

darkrai2cool4u
2nd July 2008, 2:48 AM
Iv'e been playing all my life pokemon rules

Rhonder
29th July 2008, 12:53 AM
I have been playing pretty much since I was 5/ since it came out. I am new to tournament play and just recently joined a league for the first time^.^ . Just as a note to those trying to find a league on the POP league locator and have said things like " there is no league around at least 250 miles!!!!!!", I have found that it is better just to enter in your country and state. I live in washington, and go to a league in mukilteo, about 15 miles away, yet when I type in my city, zip-code, and distance away in miles, it comes up with nothing. I just thought I'd share this for those peoples who r trying to find a league and failing:redface:

pokemaniac10
26th August 2008, 2:58 AM
I think the reason why people start playing the TCG is becuase the TCG itself is fun and challenging, but also simple for young kids to enjoy. The cards themselves also look cool and some people probably want to collect them. And alot of people like to participate in the tournamants. Those are one of the main reasons why I got into the TCG.

ChimFang
26th August 2008, 1:40 PM
i wanna play in tournaments BUt i live in Holland so i cant really go to USA to play so all i can d is hope lots of kids play it and orginize a tournament foor my town

nickthew033
31st August 2008, 7:50 AM
hi,i used to play the card game all the time,but toys r us stoped doing thier tornament so i kinda fell out of the game.but now the local library is starting up thier own weekly tornament so im trying to get back in to the game,but its been about 6 years since the last time i even played a match,let alone bought a pack.so i was woundering if you could give me some tips on deck building in the modern metagame or tell me where in the forum i could get some help.

Protoman EXE
3rd September 2008, 11:08 PM
I started to play again because i thought the new cards were intresting.

Mewtwo152
14th September 2008, 6:38 PM
I dunno, I sorta left it in 2006, when Pokemon was collapsing around me. But recently I bought all kinds of rares from Neo, and got back to opening my cases of cards. (Back in 06, I stopped playing the TCG, the anime seemed too immature, and I had to go say bye-bye to the Pokemon Center in NYC.)

Petergames
21st September 2008, 8:00 PM
i am portuguese and i dont know were is the closest tornament or fan shop
if there is any portuguese here at serebii forums that know anifing please send me a message

GarchompHata
27th September 2008, 8:26 PM
Sadly, I have no one to play with, and with gas prices so high, I rarely play. I go 6-8 times a year, 4 prereleases, 3-4 leagues/tournaments. I love playing, but rarely can.

Volt Tackle Pichu
12th October 2008, 6:05 PM
I realy didn't like that Modified Format blew up some cards from the EX Series. I think many people did have a decent or superior deck with Fire Red Leaf Green / Hidden Legends / Sandstorm / Rocket boosters. Anyway, Pokemon is one of the most economic TCGs, 'cause boosters are not so expensive, and you don't have to pull many boosters to find cards you want (Except Lv.X). Something that is true is, that only USA, have a league in every corner, and here in Mexico is rare to find one, and I Would start one, but don't have any money. But I really like the TCG

DrWho
17th October 2008, 9:06 AM
I was thinking of starting to play again, but I want to know what decks are good at the moment. Would a deck revolved around Banette EX or Dragonite EX work? Sorry, if posting oin this thread counts as spam, but I didn't want to make a whole thread about it.

Okay, first off the ONLY packs that are allowed are D&P and up, and pop promos 6 and up.

The best decks are: TogeChomp, AMU, Kingdra, Darkrai, Scepeon and some more, the easiest deck to make would be a L.A Heatren or Regigigas since they both come with the staples such as Buck's, Cynthias and so on it wouldn't hurt to buy a G.E deck either considering Bebe's and Rose's Research. Go to a tournametn or two, to check on and se what are the most played cards, if found Kingdra and Claydol the most overused, I find that it's best to use your favorites, like I'm using Darkrai and the reason why I said Heatran/Regigigas is because a Heatren lvl x tin AND Regigigas lvl x tin are coming out in mid November accompanied by the release of Stormfront with the 2 decks featuring a very good Tyranitar and Gyarados which is also superb.

Alakazam065
21st November 2008, 1:32 AM
Yeah i just got back into the scene again....I stopped collecting after Neo Revelation...I even threw away my cards. :(

But, I found most of my old ones from the net and bought some new ones....Thing is that the closest league is like 15 miles away from me and i don't think I'll have time to get there....So idk what to do...I still love the game and it's still fun to play.

DrWho
22nd November 2008, 9:13 AM
See if you can find fellow players and see if they can give you a ride every time.
I know a lot of people who do that at my league.

liquid
1st January 2009, 10:30 PM
I can say from personal experience exactly why the game has experienced a sudden resurgence. All those kids that collected the cards when they were very young (i.e. too young to actually play and understand the game) have grown up, and are starting to revisit parts of their childhood.

This is exactly what has happened to me, I found a couple of old cards and decided to go out and buy a new booster pack. Soon after I found out some of my friends had recently done the same, and so we started playing. I'd imagine there are people with similar stories to ours all over, so I think that's one of the reasons for the sudden increase in popularity.

Lucario Master Chris
10th January 2009, 3:45 AM
I got out of it just after the release of EX: Sandstorm. The cards just seemed so over powered that I just lost intrest, but since the releace of the Diamond & Pearl sets came out I've been bying them like crazy. A league opened up not to far from where I live and I'm going to get to go to a league for the first time ever. EEEEEEEEEEEEE. :D

Mr. Joker
17th January 2009, 3:39 PM
I had 20 bucks and I wanted to get back into it. I stoped playing when the R/S/E cards came out becouse i didn't really care for it.

ShinxesAreCute
21st January 2009, 2:37 PM
I don't even know how to play the actual TCG, I just collect the cards. I got like maybe three booster packs last year, and I actually hit gold, because in one of those three was a Rayquasa card. I also have a Mew and a Celebi.

cloudman
23rd January 2009, 4:35 AM
hello, im kinda new to this forum but not to pkm in general..... i quit the tcg when R/S came out... things where way too different and changing really fast plus i got interested in other TCG's such as YGO..... and i kinda wanna get back in, cuz the cards look cool and seemed like a really fun game to play. if anyone here can give me the "run down" of the current game that would be great
Thanks,
Cloudman

znew777
25th January 2009, 6:17 AM
Great. They don't have a league AT ALL in West Virginia.... :(

Cold_CG
2nd February 2009, 4:42 PM
I bought the TCG Advent calendar from Toys R Us (pretty cute!) and since then I'm itching to begin playing again. Maybe I'll do this summer, when I have some more money and spare time. I still have all my old cards, but I understand they can't be used anymore...

What's definitely uncool however is that the nearest league is 3 hours aways by car.

windkirby
16th May 2009, 12:54 AM
On the contrary to some of the above posts, I actually am feeling inclined to get back into the TCG a bit (a bit), but I'm only concerned by the newer cards - am I the only one who feels that the new cards are actually much more powerful that the older ones? It seems like several go above 120, which used to be the absolute limit, didn't it? This was okay for ex's since they have the card rule, but I feel like some of these newer SP's and Lv. X's are kind of ridiculous... Almost like they're trying to cash in with the rare cards so people buy more boosters. Does anyone else feel the same way?

At any rate, I still may get into it again, build a few decks based around the Gen 1 gym leaders. Still, I'm wondering if people share my concerns.

pkmntrjk6
17th June 2009, 8:32 PM
On the contrary to some of the above posts, I actually am feeling inclined to get back into the TCG a bit (a bit), but I'm only concerned by the newer cards - am I the only one who feels that the new cards are actually much more powerful that the older ones? It seems like several go above 120, which used to be the absolute limit, didn't it? This was okay for ex's since they have the card rule, but I feel like some of these newer SP's and Lv. X's are kind of ridiculous... Almost like they're trying to cash in with the rare cards so people buy more boosters. Does anyone else feel the same way?

At any rate, I still may get into it again, build a few decks based around the Gen 1 gym leaders. Still, I'm wondering if people share my concerns.

i totally agree when i first saw the new cards i thought there were joking, some are way to strong but thats the way it is. But if they make the new cards even more powerfull then the DP series the Numbers will start becoming like Yu-gi -oh.

Anyways I just sold almost all my old cards for a good bit of money but i have some of the DP series cards and a pretty awesome deck. i think pokemon is picking back up because its beating out the other tcg's with its sense of unique style and gameplay. where the player is limited only by his lack of imagination and skill to be the best, not by his cards or decks. If u keep trying u can come up with endless variations of decks and strategies.

Bluelatios*
27th June 2009, 5:10 AM
...*sigh*, well I have had a sad 10 years of Pokemon card collecting. The nearest league is 45 minutes away: just outside a reasonable driving time for my parents who have never been a fan of it and think its sort of a waste of time and money :(. GAAAH, its so frusterating knowing I could have so much fun if I was just a little closer! I am 16, but am not comfortable with driving myself, and only have a few friends to play with me, both are losing interest very fast due to all the newer Pokemon cards being stronger and "cheap" ocmpared to originals

5th July 2009, 5:47 PM
I think that the game is dead. The designers just only repeat drawing pictures of Pokemon and delude us into buying their products. The cards become more and more meaningless. I just can't imagine there are 40 types of pikachu cards released. The monsters are the same and their work is only to redraw and redraw with some new attacks. Dark, ex, delta, lv x , each of these new cards can't last long. I am furoius how they release so many promo cards and annoy our collectors. Have Mcdonald meal, take the JR train, Watch movie, buy magazines......... sick of them. They are pure 100% businessmen, trying to belie their cunning smiles with cute pictures.

Surfing_Pikachu
6th July 2009, 4:01 AM
I quit because the game is mean to collectors. If there was one card for every single Pokemon, I'd be perfectly fine with that. But no. They had to chug out dozens different versions of each one making a total of OVER 9000. From what I see, it has only gotten worse. I won't be joining again anytime soon.

pokemonmasterhustler
21st July 2009, 10:09 PM
I actually believe that the games never died, logically if it did the packs would've stopped being released! I used to be an addict but gave up for a few years and am currently trying to get back into it! ^_^ Also unlike yugioh which can confuse little kids and require more effort pokemon is for everyone childeren can easily understand how to play and adults can have time for it! What else do you need to know to start playing?

ninjascyther
25th July 2009, 5:46 PM
The main reasoning that I have been getting back into the tcg was actually serebii adding a cardex to the site. I had stopped collecting around when they released all those neo sets, because there seemed to be too many sets all up, and because the artwork in neo genesis was terrible (like how many of the images didnt even look serious).

I had previously tried to come back into the tcg only to find that there was OVER9000 new types of cards (pokemon ex, delta, shiny, crystal, reverse holos, holons, Lv X) which was somewhat confusing. But Ive been poking around the cardex for a while learning about the new sets and new types of cards and i am actually interested in trying to collect all the sets i've missed. ;123;

ReidonX139
13th August 2009, 1:03 AM
Im lucky. I quit because I was tired of playing myself, this was a long time ago.

Recently started hanging out with some friends, one of them has been into Pokemon his whole life, and we all started doing UU matches on WiFi (not me yet, have yet to fix up my team) and playing the TCG. Going to the local pre-release on the 23rd, cant wait.

Jats605
22nd August 2009, 12:19 AM
I might have restarted but there are no leagues within a 250 mile radius of me =p

Shide
22nd August 2009, 10:47 AM
I quit after R/S because my parents said I could play pokemon, or yugioh, but not both.

Now that I have my own money and such, I decided to pick up pokemon instead of blowing it all on candy and soda one day when I was in Newbury Comics and overheard some kids talking about SV.

I like the game alot more now. It's more complex, but only if you put the complexion into your deck, which I like.

GreenAiden555
26th August 2009, 12:09 AM
I just tarted to play again with my girlfriend who just got into it for the first time. I started back in base set, and I quit when Expi came out, 'cause WotC got a little crazy (I think) with card designs. I picked it up again in EX magma and aqua, and drifted out after hidden legends.

I've been in it for a little over a month.

I have more than 5 decks planned out.

Shadow Eeveelution
31st August 2009, 10:52 AM
Just to have fun..If i stop playing it can only last for a month before I'm back at playing again

Poke_Mania97
31st August 2009, 4:58 PM
Just to have fun..If i stop playing it can only last for a month before I'm back at playing again

yer i was talking to my friend and he said he wont play yugioh anymore. next day he bought some more boosters and changed his display pic!

Shadow Eeveelution
1st September 2009, 10:30 AM
...once addicted to this game it's hard to stop playing for a long time

ariesucks
29th October 2009, 6:45 PM
does anybody know if there is a league in chicago?

lucario99
6th November 2009, 8:26 AM
There arent any leagues in Victoria,Australia
>.<

Poke_Mania97
7th November 2009, 4:09 PM
there are leagues here in the uk but no where near me that is local:(

MrGosh13
6th December 2009, 9:01 PM
there are leagues here in the uk but no where near me that is local:(

I have the same problem, Just found back my old Deck, and am itching to play again, but the closest league is 20 minutes by train. (I'm in Holland btw)

davester21
7th December 2009, 1:34 AM
hi. im just getting back in the pokemon cards again after many years lol, i just want to know what is the best cards going on right now?

Aberrant17
11th January 2010, 5:17 AM
Actually, my younger brother got me back into the TCG (He got me the FlameMaster Theme Deck for Christmas). Anyway, the TCG metagame is a bit more strategic than I rememebered (as opposed to "evolve to Charizard ASAP FTW") and more fast paced. Weaknesses, resistances, and special conditions have gone through some changes, too. Basically, the game is different from what it used to be (though the theme decks are as useless as ever).

It's also easy for me to find other people to play it with. People gather at local card shop (15 minute drive) every Sunday to trade and battle. So, I've got a place to play it and people to play it with.

Lorde
11th January 2010, 9:05 AM
Honestly, in my case because of nostalgia. I missed the feeling of opening a new booster pack and adding it's cards to my deck. I also missed playing the game, it's fun.

Ash-kid
11th January 2010, 1:01 PM
The game is actually great but I think the new cards are great and because of it I have started to play the game again. the OCG is fine just like the TCG.

gregorioTheOreo
11th January 2010, 10:48 PM
a reason to continue playing? Because the cards become better with each set! I watched a video about the Japanese HeartGold / SoulSiver cards, and I was amazed! Even the energies look amazing! Check out my site for a link to the video!

Okay, now that I've finished promoting myself, I'd like to say that playing pokemon (for me, personally) has only led me to meet other people with similar interests, whom I would've never met otherwise.

So, to sum things up, one reason to continue playing: You meet cool people!

hi. im just getting back in the pokemon cards again after many years lol, i just want to know what is the best cards going on right now?

Right now, Arceus cards are pretty hot. HeartGold / SoulSilver cards are coming out though.

Poke_Pain
12th January 2010, 11:35 AM
I started collecting and trading around 11-12 years ago depending on what date pokemon cards started becoming avalible in the UK then i gave it up after i had other things to buy (films/games etc.) only recently have i been trying to start collecting all the cards that are missing from my "collection"

Johto-Master
9th March 2010, 2:45 AM
the Leagues are still very fun and full of people, too

ogeray
10th March 2010, 2:39 AM
because my gf bought a hgss booster pack and pulled a lugia legend. and so i got some and i pulled the other half of lugia legend and a ho-oh legend. since then ive been hooked. nothing compares to the feeling of opening a fresh new pack and anticipating what cards ull get.

Cobra
11th March 2010, 12:32 AM
Used the tournament and league finder and there's nothing in my area. Sad face. :(

I miss those days of playing the TCG. Was pretty good, but unfortunately the league I was in shut down, and I moved on to other things. *Like being a tournament Street Fighter player, lol* Good times...like the post above me, nothing compares to ripping open that booster pack and finding out what you'll get. I use to buy them 4 and 5 at a time. *sigh* Those days are long gone for me. :(

OsirisFour
16th April 2010, 4:01 AM
I personally just started to get back into the TCG with a friend. We're both 21+, so we sit around and indulge in a few brews and battle it out. It's epic epic fun. I'd be interested in getting into a league again, but since I'm/we're playing with a mix of Base/Jungle/Fossil/TR cards I don't know if that's possible.

Sadarac
1st May 2010, 7:13 AM
Im gonna start playing cuz a Card shop right by my school has tourneys on fridays:) Lol. people who go on thursdays (yugioh) are suckers though. Im gonna sell my old yugioh cards (cept for my actual decks) to fuel my soon to be Pokemon Tcg addiction:) Lol yugioh cards that aren't even legal for tornament use still sell for as much as they did when you could use them. (2 Pots of greed for 30$ FTW:)) just those 2 cards will buy me 2 decks and a handful of boosters. (or one lugia legend for 15$, but thats a rip off i think)

Rhonder
20th August 2010, 12:06 PM
I tend to get into the card game every summer, then it dies down as I get school work and such to do, then the next summer it usually perks up again XD I have 1 friend that I usually play with, though I have 2 others that I can get to play sometimes too, as well as my younger cousins who are just in the begining of their pokemon awesomeness youth thing. Ah the good days. But yeah, so I can play usually whenever I want XD Also, I think after I'm able to drive myself around (in a few months X3) I might try out the League again. There's one that I've known about ~10 miles away from my house (so says the locater) but it's a hassle trying to get my parents to get me there, especially on Saturdays =/ so yeah XD plus, now that the cards have looped back around to Gold/Silver, I think that there might be more cards that I'd want XD I could probably pull off a pretty mean electric fire deck with Ampharos and Typhlosion XD

DarkNight08
3rd November 2010, 6:31 PM
There's a place called Technology Plaza, where I went some weekends to play blazblue against some good guys. I went one Sunday, and discovered that Sundays are "Poke sundays" and everyone was playing with their DSs and card and there was even PBR tourney, so I fell in love with Pokemon TCG. The thing is, I live in Mexico in the middle of nothing, and I thought no one liked pokemon but me. Oh, I was so wrong. I bought lots of cards, around 150, and found the cards I had when I was in 5th grade (Wich can't be used now xP), and yeah. Last week I re-learned how to play, and made a deck that sucks, but god I have so much fun.

Airride_Master
27th January 2011, 2:52 PM
I just felt I had to come back in...
Now I'm making a Silly kinda deck :P
I once had a deck that focused on getting all your energy to your hand then beating them down with flygon.

Xman96
25th February 2011, 2:29 PM
Well I just started last Friday, again. The TCG was the first pokemon thing I was into. It is a lot of fun because my cousin and my two sisters play the game as well, and we have our own little tournament every Saturday.

Lucky Applejack
3rd April 2011, 10:18 PM
Another good reason to start playing the TCG again is because the online version beta is up on pokemon dot com now! It's really easy to learn (I remember thinking of it as really hard to learn when I was little), the rules are taught as you play and you can disable the rule/ move options if you already know the rules. It's in its beta stage right now, and whenever I play the fourth opponent, the game freezes on me. Other than the fourth opponent freezing, everything is excellent and I really suggest playing it! Have an awesome day!

ImitationOfLife
13th April 2011, 10:36 PM
A long time friend sparked my interest to play again because he's having a tournament this summer. I haven't played or gotten any additional cards since the original sets were out.

I've bought one Platinum Arceus Booster, one Call of Legends booster, one Heart Gold/Soul Silver booster, and the Black & White Blue Assault deck.

aquizero
14th April 2011, 12:35 AM
Another good reason to start playing the TCG again is because the online version beta is up on pokemon dot com now! It's really easy to learn (I remember thinking of it as really hard to learn when I was little), the rules are taught as you play and you can disable the rule/ move options if you already know the rules. It's in its beta stage right now, and whenever I play the fourth opponent, the game freezes on me. Other than the fourth opponent freezing, everything is excellent and I really suggest playing it! Have an awesome day!

I have also started playing http://www.pokemontcg.com/ and I agree with you its great. i can't wait until beta goes away and the full experience is out as I would love to play head to head against others. I haven't played Pokemon TCG for four years! So I am back in my comfort zone again! Woo Hoo! ;128;

Mitzeh
5th May 2011, 2:35 PM
i found my old base set/jungle/fossil/rocket/heros/challenge cards lol
thought why not but then i saw how much base set boxes and boosters were online and im like fffffffffffffff~ box $300-$700 booster $10-$80

anyhoo i've ordered the hgss entei gift box and the b&w victini gift box and a fossil booster (got it for 4.99aud the fossil booster that is)

so yeah hopefully i'll get back to drive to continue collecting as i have a ton of sets to think about locating and buying LOL

also thinking of getting some hgss triumphant blister packs that are sold at bigW (australian store) which have 2 triumphant packs and a platinum pack and i think a promo not sure (their website is pricing them at about $7 so looks good)

my main problem with collecting the tcg was the demand became less and less so card shops closed down or moved to inaccessable areas, tornaments are practically non existant here and 99% of my friends no longer play (being 23 years old doesn't help)

as for the new online tcg version i've completed one tornament on the site and i must say the game hasn;t changed all that much save for the supporter cards and stadium

unfortunately my first try to get back in was frustrating as i stupidly bought fake cards at the local markets (you'd think having a diploma in graphic design i'd pick up on the 200+ hp's and 2098 world championship deck text & misspelling haha) oh well now that i have access to the internet and a credit/debit card getting the cards will be a heck of alot easier so <3

i think i rambled on a tad too much hehe

redhairedking
8th May 2011, 12:34 AM
I haven't played this for about 7 years now. It's been a long time. I have considered trying to get back into it but the tournaments are about half an hour away from my house.

Blackfox138
19th May 2011, 1:08 AM
Saw the B/W boosters at my local grocery store and decided to grab a few. Thinking about getting back into this, but just for the art. As much fun as league play is, I don't have the time/money for it anymore.

Which set would be recommended for collecting cool art?

Also, I forgot how much fun it was, the moments before opening a booster, wondering if you'll get something awesome or junk (totally helps that I don't know what's awesome or not for tournament play)

kris198921
19th May 2011, 3:09 AM
well black and white has full faced reshiram and full faced zekrom, the heart gold and soul silver has legend cards

Blackfox138
19th May 2011, 7:34 AM
Already have both versions of FA Zek and one Reshi (bought a little more than a few). I like the way the Legend cards look, might try a few of those next.

Also, how hard would it be to pick a Pokemon and collect each of it's different cards? Are there some that are impossible to ebay < 10$?

manaphee
27th August 2011, 4:59 PM
I got back into the TCG about a month ago, because I discovered a league right in my city, that meets every Friday night. ^_^
I went to the EP prerelease last night, and it was an absolute blast. I got to finally meet other Pokemon fans- some from over three hours away, even. It's really awesome how you get to meet new people who have the same interests as you. ^_^

Jax_P
5th September 2011, 7:18 AM
The online TCG peaked my interest and pulled me back in, now I've ordered 3 booster boxes that I can't wait for to arrive! :D

Agntpudding
6th September 2011, 12:03 PM
I played the online beta. Bought Blue Assault.
Then a tin of booster packs.
Then another deck.
Then another tin...

Yeah I forgot how awesome pokemon cards are and now I'm obsessed once again. XD

Water Adept
24th September 2011, 4:40 AM
Same with me, found my old pokémon theme decks and I saw there was an online tcg game, so I basically just started playing again, gonna start collecting these awesome guys. :)

zwgiantsfan
25th September 2011, 8:25 PM
i used to be a huge card fan, as i own thousands of cards, and as of about 2 days ago, i am back into the game, but my most recent cards are d & p majestic dawn i think
the game just seemed 2 b gettin more strategy, whhich wuz always the reason tht yugioh wuz better at cards only

ven?
30th September 2011, 8:04 PM
I've been playing the tcg since it started. Why I started was because this is a game I want to play. It's that simple.

Shining_Chef
17th October 2011, 3:42 AM
I started playing after I found out a group of people at my high school still play pokemon. I was like "Holy **** SWEEET" So i got my old cards out and have been playing for a few months now (since last may)

pokedexg
28th November 2011, 12:53 AM
Got back in my when my mom bought first ever hgss set boosters came out, primetimepokemon on utube got me back into it as well.

Ausgirl
28th November 2011, 1:00 AM
I've been meaning to get back into this. The only thing that's stopping me is money.

MeltingCORE
29th November 2011, 3:23 PM
My love for Pokemon as a whole has been greatly rekindled lately. But that’s another story... Last weekend my mom got me a booster pack for helping with the yard work and I had mentioned wanting to get some new cards. I was happy since I got some new cards and went to look for my old cards. Found that box (which has a lot of cards and is sitting next to me right now) and remembered all the good times I had playing with my brother. And thus, now I’m back into it. In fact, today after school I’m going to Target to get some more. (I really hope I get a Litwick, Lampent, or Chandelure. But I’m usually happy with everything I get.)

I think I’ll use that League Locater now.

Marbi Z
11th December 2011, 10:56 PM
I have alot of cards but I never had anyone to play with... That all changed with the introduction of Pokemon TCG online! Now you can register your deck and use it online! This is great for those who want to play the game but have no one to play with!

OthersiderME
19th December 2011, 12:04 PM
My friend and I played the TCGO trainer challenge and beat all 4 leagues then played against each other in real life. Now we've assembled a group of about 12 people to have a tournament.

Pokemom
28th December 2011, 2:04 AM
We need to find some way of "friending" on TCGO.....

I started playing late in 1999, ran a WotC league from June 2002-July 2004, have collected all the cards in both 1st ed and regular release (with most also in JAP) from Base1 though Neo2, and heartily enjoyed playing, but found myself 2 hours from the nearest league when I moved off to go to college.

Now my 7 year old has discovered Pokemon and is avid in the games (first GB Blue, now DS SoulSilver) and has benefited from my otherwise useless cards in learning the TCG. I picked up the three Unova Starter theme decks for TCGO and for Christmas she got 2 of the 2011 TCG Worlds decks.

Pity the local leagues are somewhat non-entities...every time I call the numbers listed by Nintendo the store people say they know nothing about it :(

OthersiderME
28th December 2011, 2:37 AM
We need to find some way of "friending" on TCGO.....

I think that they're adding that into it, since it says "coming soon" next to the friendlist. It is still in beta, though.

FE21
2nd January 2012, 12:09 AM
Reason for people to start playing Pokemon TCG again: It's fun. A plain simple duh answer, but the reason I play it.

ColyTom
23rd January 2012, 2:14 AM
I recently got back into Pokemon, starting with the anime, then I started playing Pearl again and then I bought Black.

I then bought some booster packs and I'm really keen to start playing properly. The only person I've ever played is my little sister.

G50
25th January 2012, 4:11 AM
I've always liked the Trading Cards, but never really learned how to play with them, so stopped for awhile. Within the last year I finally learned how to play, and now play it too often :D

ven?
27th January 2012, 10:03 AM
I never stopped, I just play and play and play, and sometimes I win and sometimes I biff, but for the most part I just go even.

Pokémon Trainer Xande
27th January 2012, 2:23 PM
I just bought Black and White Cards, as I always get cards of a Gen before buying the games (I bought EX Ruby and Sapphire, EX Emerald, EX Unseen Forces, Bought Sapphire(Game), Got Diamond and Pearl Piplup, got Games, Bought HG (EX Unseen Forces I count as this one 's pre-game TCG pack) and then I bought some HG cards and now BW cards).

P.S: I am thinking of having a Championship at my school, so that I can localize any Rare cards and add them to my collection (doesn 't this seem like Rare Hunters from Yu-Gi-Oh?)

ven?
27th January 2012, 6:41 PM
nope, thats what we do at our league all the time.

GilligBoi
30th January 2012, 2:55 AM
Because playing the TGCO demo made me miss the game. That and it is cheap to play.

Tyranitar the black mage
30th January 2012, 3:23 AM
I started playing and buying the tcg stuff because i had gotten back into the anime and i wanted to get some cards. Simple as that.

FatalSmurf
6th February 2012, 2:06 AM
I used to just collect, and then had a quick go around Stormfront. But I live in Ireland and there are no tournaments around here.

Gillig
16th July 2012, 9:12 AM
I got tired of yugioh and it's loop decks.

I also prefer the environment with pokemon. You can chill at league or compete if you want. Yugioh doesn't have as much casual play and players are much more competitive. I also like it because it is significantly cheaper to play a good deck. I think my current deck cost me about 40$ to make and it is a very good deck.

Fire Hero
16th September 2012, 11:34 AM
I play Pokémon TCG since Base Set (proud owner of the full collection - took me God knows what to get them all) and I have had my ons and offs mainly because I'm from Portugal which means nobody plays this and there are no tournaments and no events for Pokémon. So, when I found out that they were making an online game I started playing again and it's like coming back a few years. Too bad I can't reproduce my old decks (with my beautiful Salamence EX) but I've been having a great time, specially since I can buy codes for 5 times less money than a booster.

I did no more than collecting during the Platinum editions (I'm still trying to get them all complete) but I haven't played since the first EX series. Now they're back! Time to play!

PS: Hope they can get the trading back soon as well as making some tournaments.

SpoinkyPearl
30th June 2013, 10:07 PM
I've never played seriously. I've only bought Theme Decks (from EX series only) to get enough Energy cards and, well, just to have something basic around so I could play with friends. Unfortunately, I've had no friends who are interested in TCG and there's no leagues or anything around here. But! I was in a small con this weekend and there were Pokémon TCG players there and I kinda got my enthusiasm back. We have sometimes talked with my boyfriend how we should play with my old cards and stuff but not done it. Now we both are rather interested with "starting again" and we are going to buy new BW Theme Decks and start playing with all new cards and stuff. But we have to re-learn the rules and play some trial rounds with the old cards before buying new ones :D We are not going to go serious and buy boosters and stuff but play with friends and just to have fun.

Zamin
20th August 2013, 10:41 PM
I really want to get into it, I have got a couple of B/W decks that I got a few months ago and I want to start collecting Noble Victories :D

The only thing is I have nobody to play against and there is no leagues in my area or anything which sucks.

21st August 2013, 1:59 AM
My friends and I were at a classic car show a while back and during one of our rounds we decided to stop inside the local game shop to browse their wares and get out of the heat. After some really weird conversations, the revelation that we all had money, and the realization that were all bored, we all decided to buy a couple starter decks and play matches against each other to pass the time. We were all happy to discover that the game hadn't changed much since the last we played, and now we've begun bringing the cards to each other's houses and having matches against each other.

I've looked into leagues, and while there is a few in my area, I probably won't have the time to go with college starting up again soon. I do look forward to and enjoy the times I get to play with my friends though, and maybe one day I'll have the time swing by and check out a league.

JYoung
21st November 2013, 9:50 PM
For me it's the collecting aspect of the game that appeals to me. Yes I'll play games and compete but I like collecting things, it gives me a sense of accomplishment and excitement filling up my collection.

Zoroark312
21st November 2013, 11:24 PM
I left the TCG around the Next Destinies - Dark Explorers time. Now seeing the TCGO I'm planning on getting back into it soon. Not the TCG though, the TCGO. The TCG is just pretty damn expensive if you play competitively, which I did. It can also be a pain carrying binders of cards around, making it to the tournaments, etc;

One thing I saw a few days ago that kinda put me back on the fence is this new card I had never seen before. I forget the name, but when the guy played it the other player had to guess the friggin height of a pokemon. Like, seriously? The heck nintendo. Cards like that one basically say "Hey everyone come play the Pokemon card game! It takes no skill at all!"

hardlythere
1st February 2014, 9:57 PM
If you've ever been frustrated at not having a good deck

pokecards (pokecard.net)

ven?
1st February 2014, 11:27 PM
^Since everything is online nowadays, decklists, tournament play videos (regionals, cities, states, nationals, worlds, etc), I also typed up and tested a couple of cheap lists for tournament play in the fix my deck thread(s), if you have any questions about lists I'll try and either net deck the best list I can find or type it out myself, as well as the rest of the community doesn't mind helping people get good at the game and test, test, test.

kyle72686
3rd February 2014, 3:59 PM
My main game (Naruto CCG) died last year, so I switched from very casually playing this game to making it my main card game. I don't like yugioh and I don't want to get into MTG. I want to get into Weiss Schwartz but it isn't catching on in my area and there is no where to buy or play the game. That and the English game only has 1 anime I am familiar with and it's because I started watching it after my friend got interested in Weiss Schwartz.

Tyrantrum
18th March 2014, 9:05 AM
Yugioh is too complicated for me by far. Also, MTG doesn't appeal to me, and besides that, I don't like Vanguard. I might pick up some Pokemon boosters if/when I get the chance in a few days, more out of curiosity then anything. Yeah, hearing about how cheap it is to get a competitive deck for it as well makes me reconsider it perhaps a small bit as well.

ShinyMisty
7th July 2014, 10:56 PM
Yugioh is too complicated for me by far. Also, MTG doesn't appeal to me, and besides that, I don't like Vanguard. I might pick up some Pokemon boosters if/when I get the chance in a few days, more out of curiosity then anything. Yeah, hearing about how cheap it is to get a competitive deck for it as well makes me reconsider it perhaps a small bit as well.

Coming from someone who had to buy most of the cards in her deck...it isn't always cheap.

Now, I got back into the Pokemon Card game isn't because of another game going out or something. I never liked Yugioh, and Magic seems to expensive and complicated to me.

When I was young (and I mean YOUNG), I use to play the card game at a league. At Toys R Us and Books-A-Million. This was still when Wizards owned Pokemon. But...after a while, we just stopped. Everything stopped, even the collecting.

I was watching videos on Youtube when I learned I could win a trip to cool places like Hawaii. That was why I got into the game.
Then, I found (probably) the most famous Poketuber when it comes to the card game, theJWittz. Sadly, he no longer does the series Prof-It, but that is what got me fully back into the game.

I managed to find a League in my area, and made some great friends. It almost crumbled forever when my League retired, but a friend from a pre-release introduced me to her league a little was away. I once again made great friends, and will slowly learn more and more.

Already been to Cities and States once, so I already had a bit of competitive games. And watching the Live Stream on Twitch a few days ago made my heart flaring. More so than the video game, which I find harder to grasp and a little to out of my grasp.

If you guys are really interested in playing the game, but don't have much of the money, then buy maybe one or two packs for now, and use those code cards to actually go into the TCG Online. That way, you'll learn a little quicker and easier. You don't have to have a league in your area. I didn't for a few years, but I went to States as if I have. You can test decks out (even if you happen to get them through trades and such, which seems to be not so hard) So that you don't have to pay a lot of money to find out it isn't your type of deck.

Have fun, everyone. :3

Milennin
8th July 2014, 6:59 PM
I never was into the card game, because I've never known anyone who played it, but I used to collect the cards as a kid (stuff from the first few original sets). I did play the TCG game on the GBC, though, which was pretty fun.

I remember trying out the TCG Online a few years ago, kind of short after it released, but it didn't really manage to hold my interest and I quit playing after a day or two.

But last month I decided to give the TCGO another try (was getting a bit bored of Hearthstone), and I'm really liking it now. There's a good collection of cards available, easy to play against other people and the community is pretty good (except for the greedy traders looking to rip off any and every one who isn't aware of the exact prices of cards). With the recent update it's become really easy for new players to get more cards fast and get a way into the trading scene without having to spend real money on packs/codes.

The only thing I'm not really fond of with the Pokémon TCG is the strange decision of getting rid of the concept of evolution with EX cards. I don't really understand why they would do that. Why should people be able to play a Venusaur EX right off the bat when a regular Venusaur needs to evolve from Bulbasaur and Ivysaur, and on top of that it gets more HP and more powerful moves than a regular Venusaur too!? Then there's your legendary EXes, because plain legendaries apparently aren't powerful enough (they are, though), I just don't get it.
But oh well, I just love making decks around the Pokémon I like. It's got that edge over Yu-Gi-Oh for me, which I do like, but it just doesn't beat the feeling of building a Pokémon party and play with your favourites. :D

ven?
8th July 2014, 7:37 PM
Actually evo decks are pretty decent regardless, basics are just faster to play

We had star pokemon then SP, the concept of playing evo pokemon out as basics and giving them more speed and power has been long running in the pokemon tcg.

TimerRabbit
29th July 2014, 1:14 AM
I played the TCG when I was very young. Me and my sister would go and build decks from the cards we have and battle each other int he house our outdoors with a neighbor kid. Those are some fine memories there, since we don't have the handheld games at that time.

It gets forgotten and then collecting YGO cards after seeing my very first card art I like (Queen's Double). However, when walking in to the community college, there's a herd of people who are into that and I wanted to start. (BTW I watched the complete seasons of the YGO anime before it switches a new protagonist. BUT... The people who had pretty good decks invest a whole lot of money and whoop my butt on my Magician deck. (Full of favorites and structured from a theme deck.) I gave up after being frustrated and had to focus on college, art and the occasional RPing.

Also to boot I gave away my suitcase full of super old cards to a friend since I need to make room and lost interest....

Until the moment I got back into Pokemon thanks to the Espurr meme and wanted Espurr stuff. (Which would cost a lot, so one plushie is enough...) I decided to get the Mystic Typhoon deck because of these Pokemon, and that it would be easy to get back into it if I got a theme deck. Took me a few days to play the TCGO and use my code. By the same month I got the deck I broke my ankle. ;_; I had no one to play with except for online with my digital deck, but it gave me fond memories and a easy learning curve using the application. It's much easier than YGO, but I am not going to diss for 'most hated game' and what-nat. Artwork is still pretty (that even some big-name Pixiv artists got the job for those... Ugyuu...), and same goes for Vanguard. My friend and driver who took me to the hospital is into Weis Schwartz and had Japanese decks of his favorite series... lol...

Anyway, it's a huge relief of happiness when I got my friend to play one of the older theme decks (Leaf Greed that my brother gave me lol) against my 'updated' deck, which was fun and intense, lol! I know the college I go to has Pokemon TCG , but YGO or MTG is still dominant there. I won't give up hope and hopefully I can play casually with anyone like the old days!