PDA

View Full Version : One Piece or Naruto?

Pages : [1] 2 3

kykui
5th May 2006, 6:58 AM
Title says it all. Which of these two well-known series do you like more, One Piece or Naruto?
...And pleasepleasePLEASE state some good reasons as to why you chose what you chose. Needless to say, stuff like naruto cuz ninjaz r kewler den piratez and one peice cuz usopp is hawt (lololz jkjk) will be ignored and probably disliked. A lot.

ANYways. I prefer One Piece over Naruto.
I find it irritating how people would take a quick glance at One Piece's goofy artstyle and kiddish-looking characters and then immediately conclude that this series wouldn't be as serious and enjoyable as most other anime/manga titles. But for people who decide to take the time to actually read at least one volume of One Piece will find that this is undoubtedly a good series. And if you were to do some research, you'd also find One Piece to be one of the (if not, THE) most popular anime/manga titles in Japan, even topping the ever-famous Dragonball series.

The plot is pretty basic - a simple-minded protagonist hellbent on achieving his life-long dream, which requires traveling to some faraway place and taking up a whole bunch of episodes and chapters to reach it. But here's the thing... it doesn't die off later to become some annoying and repetitive series of chapters/episodes to make money. Not that it's free of filler arcs or anything since everything (especially something as long as One Piece) has their faults, but One Piece manages to keep coming back and making its audience want to continue watching and reading more. It has its fair share of violence, but it also doesn't drift off into the 'pointless action and flashbacks' category. It also has morals relating to many things, most notably friendship. And of course, One Piece is quite well-known for its original and unique characters and outstandingly witty humor unlike all the lame jokes that 4Kids put into the Americanized version...

Kecleon Freak
5th May 2006, 11:20 PM
I wholeheartedly agree.

I did follow Naruto, but to me, it lacked the charm that One Piece has. I just didn't care a whole lot about the characters, and they seemed rather stereotypical i.e. Sasuke, the angsty "badass" with a dark past. One thing I like about One Piece is that the fighting is great and unique, but not really necessary to the overall plot. Whereas in Naruto, the plot revolves around the fights.

One Piece is one of the most unique and enjoyable mangas I have ever read. It has a great story with many mysteries, lovable characters, great fights and fighting styles (Franky comes to mind). Naruto often feels cliche, and like something I've read before. I love how One Piece really gets you attached to the characters, it would be a huge empty hole if any one of the main characters left. Whereas in Naruto, some characters just feel extraneous and like it wouldn't make any difference if they left.

I guess I'm rambling. I don't hate Naruto, I just find One Piece to be better in most areas.

dannyphantomhott
5th May 2006, 11:45 PM
I'm going to say Naruto...I haven't seen the Jappaness version of One Piece, the dub kind of confuses me. I enjoy Naruto though.

Rex Kamex
5th May 2006, 11:54 PM
I like them both, but One Piece is a little better in my opinion.

The plot twists in One Piece are really good, and it looks like Eiichiro Oda planned a lot of the storyline a long time ago. The stories behind each of the characters are neat too. Even though characters' pasts might have things unbelievable happen to them, it stlil fits in with the current story. (For example, Nami's past showed that she was a poor person. That might not have been expected, but it did still make sense with the current plot. It explained Nami's harsh reaction when Usopp said about Kaya, "She's rich and lives in luxury... yet nobody's more unfortunate than her." It implied that even though Nami was poor, she made the best out of her life.) Besides, look at the graphic novel covers! How can you resist manga with covers like those? Specifically volumes 29 and 38. Also, Nami's done more than Sakura has, anyway. (I haven't read all the Naruto and One Piece volumes, but based on what I've read, that seems to be the case.)

I like Naruto too, but there were some cliche parts in that, like Naruto's anger unleashing the power of the demon fox due to Sasuke's "death" being similar to Goku in Dragon Ball (Z) going Super Saiyan due to Krillin's death. I do like the different characters in Naruto though (specifically the nine rookies, Gaara's team, and Lee's team).

I'm going to say Naruto...I haven't seen the Jappaness version of One Piece, the dub kind of confuses me. I enjoy Naruto though.

Yeah, the manga's a better first impression of One Piece than the dub. Another good thing about One Piece is this: I'm looking forward to the Alabasta, Sky Pier (where does Skypiea come from?), and Water Seven arcs. They look really interesting, and I'm disappointed that Shonen Jump won't get to those arcs for a while, but all the stories before those arcs (all the way to the first chapter) are enough to keep me entertained! One Piece is entertaining even when Luffy only has his first or first few crewmates.

>looks back at post<

Man, I'm so glad I didn't say all this...

Rudoku
6th May 2006, 1:07 AM
I like One Piece more because it isn't going through almost 50 episodes of filler (and not the good kind, either)at this point in Japan, and it has Soge King. Lord help the fans that can only watch the dub of Naruto when those are shown.

Kecleon Freak
6th May 2006, 1:15 AM
MJC Cartoguy, it's written as Skypiea on the map in the manga. Dunno where Sky Pier comes from, but it's written as Skypiea in the manga.

EmbersBackUpSinger
6th May 2006, 1:16 AM
none..... both are stinky,boring,dumb,pointless,and just ignorant

Kecleon Freak
6th May 2006, 1:18 AM
Ignorant of what?

And please give some actual reasons why you don't like them.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
6th May 2006, 1:36 AM
Art wise: Naruto
Story Wise: One Piece
Chareter Wise: One Piece.
I'll have to say I like One Peice better. Its the first thing I jump to everymonth in Shounen Jump

Chaotic Houndoom
6th May 2006, 1:38 AM
One piece, because I watch that one more.

HK
6th May 2006, 4:47 AM
Yo, to the morons... THIS IS THE FUGGIN MANGA SECTION. DISCUSSION OF ANIME FILLERS STAYS IN THE ANIME SECTION. DON'T BASE YOUR JUDGEMENTS OF THE MANGA SERIES BASED ON THE ANIME SERIES.

With that settled... I'll do something that I never thought that I would do ever since I just about swore myself off from truly favoring most of the mainstream manga shounen titles: discuss what is (in my opinion, mind you) whether Naruto or One Piece is better.

Between the two, while Naruto is more action-oriented and One Piece is more of an adventure thus creating a noticable difference in genre, I would have to say that Naruto is the better of the two. Both series have a typical male lead, they both have decidedly to go long-as-hell fights that take up way too damn much time, the majority of the fights in both are hardly what I would call suspenseful, they both don't have stellar art work, and they are both repetitious as hell (a part of me dies every single time I see a One Piece fan say that Oda is a master at storytelling).

Oh, wait, I was supposed to be talking which is better, not why both of the series are seriously lacking from ever being considered true quality, right? Sorry, got off-topic there.

Anyway, yeah, Naruto is the better of the two if only for two reasons: depth between character relationships and the actual complexity of the plot.

Character relationships throughout the series of Naruto evolve, while as in One Piece they don't honestly change after Luffy first encounters them and learns of their history, the exception being Usop for when he realized how useless he was and fought against Luffy, using the inevitable destruction of the Going Merry as an excuse to do so.

My opinions on how the second part of Naruto has done overall aside, there is an underlying plot in Naruto where a lot of information is given and possibilities are foreshadowed. There is a scheme and struggle with the relations between the Sound Village, the Leaf Village, and the Akatsuki. While not actually deep, it is more so than the case with One Piece as the latter tends to rely on just 'OMFG!!1111' plot twists and revealing small bits of information in a rather simplistic background about the government that is orchestrating the info about the lost history and the ancient weapons.

So yeah. If anyone else wants to debate with me about this or else pry more out of me, then go ahead since I've already wasted my time bothering to talk about these two series anyway. -__T

Sadly, even though I don't know this member's taste in manga/anime series (if they have any at all), this one right here...

... seems to get it.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Alphonse Elric
6th May 2006, 8:15 AM
I like Naruto better.

I like the plot, and the conflict between Hi no Kuni and Oto no Kuni (Land of Fire and Land of Sound), the ever-present character development, the cool ninja techniques, all that. I won't elaborate any further because, if this turns into a debate, then I have no intention on being part of it. :P

RomanMack
6th May 2006, 8:26 AM
One Piece.

The cast is just alot better to me. And I love the art.

Naruto just seems... "generic" to me. And while I don't think One Piece is the holy grail of all manga/anime... It just seems more like a breath of fresh air than Naruto.

Abraace
6th May 2006, 12:28 PM
I like the One Piece manga more...I'm reading through the archives at the moment...I'm so far behind tho.

GoggleHead
6th May 2006, 2:22 PM
I'd have to say Naruto. One Piece just seems retarted in both the American and the Japanese version.

Rex Kamex
6th May 2006, 6:00 PM
MJC Cartoguy, it's written as Skypiea on the map in the manga. Dunno where Sky Pier comes from, but it's written as Skypiea in the manga.

Oh... I figured that the name "Sukaipia" can come to mean "Sky Pier". Later, the word "Gear" is written "Gia", so I figured that "Pia" and "Gia" would be "Pier" and "Gear". Then again, the second one really is "Gear".

EmbersBackUpSinger
6th May 2006, 6:45 PM
Ignorant of what?

And please give some actual reasons why you don't like them.

o.k.
Who wants to waste very valuble time watching a pirate stretch???? NOT ME.. Its like a copy of Fantastic 4 with pirates! Naruto is ok, but i jsut dontlike that type of ninjas

EmbersBackUpSinger
6th May 2006, 6:46 PM
Yo, to the morons... THIS IS THE FUGGIN MANGA SECTION. DISCUSSION OF ANIME FILLERS STAYS IN THE ANIME SECTION. DON'T BASE YOUR JUDGEMENTS OF THE MANGA SERIES BASED ON THE ANIME SERIES.

With that settled... I'll do something that I never thought that I would do ever since I just about swore myself off from truly favoring most of the mainstream manga shounen titles: discuss what is (in my opinion, mind you) whether Naruto or One Piece is better.

Between the two, while Naruto is more action-oriented and One Piece is more of an adventure thus creating a noticable difference in genre, I would have to say that Naruto is the better of the two. Both series have a typical male lead, they both have decidedly to go long-as-hell fights that take up way too damn much time, the majority of the fights in both are hardly what I would call suspenseful, they both don't have stellar art work, and they are both repetitious as hell (a part of me dies every single time I see a One Piece fan say that Oda is a master at storytelling).

Oh, wait, I was supposed to be talking which is better, not why both of the series are seriously lacking from ever being considered true quality, right? Sorry, got off-topic there.

Anyway, yeah, Naruto is the better of the two if only for two reasons: depth between character relationships and the actual complexity of the plot.

Character relationships throughout the series of Naruto evolve, while as in One Piece they don't honestly change after Luffy first encounters them and learns of their history, the exception being Usop for when he realized how useless he was and fought against Luffy, using the inevitable destruction of the Going Merry as an excuse to do so.

My opinions on how the second part of Naruto has done overall aside, there is an underlying plot in Naruto where a lot of information is given and possibilities are foreshadowed. There is a scheme and struggle with the relations between the Sound Village, the Leaf Village, and the Akatsuki. While not actually deep, it is more so than the case with One Piece as the latter tends to rely on just 'OMFG!!1111' plot twists and revealing small bits of information in a rather simplistic background about the government that is orchestrating the info about the lost history and the ancient weapons.

So yeah. If anyone else wants to debate with me about this or else pry more out of me, then go ahead since I've already wasted my time bothering to talk about these two series anyway. -__T

Sadly, even though I don't know this member's taste in manga/anime series (if they have any at all), this one right here...

... seems to get it.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Wait, is that good that i get it???

Brinstar
6th May 2006, 6:51 PM
Between Naruto and One Piece, I prefer Naruto. I'm a big fan of both of their art styles and think they're beautiful and compelling, but Naruto's storytelling draws me in more than One Piece does.

Also, Emerald Dragon, don't double post; use the Edit button if you need to add something to your last post.

SpacemanSpiff
6th May 2006, 7:52 PM
I hate them both so much...

But if I had to choose one... Naruto, I guess...

Abraace
7th May 2006, 1:22 AM
Captain hates One Piece...something all about pirating...I find that slightly ironic. Especially when it's such a good pirate manga(if not the only one).

Megchan
7th May 2006, 4:06 AM
o.k.
Who wants to waste very valuble time watching a pirate stretch???? NOT ME.. Its like a copy of Fantastic 4 with pirates! Naruto is ok, but i jsut dontlike that type of ninjas
I won't be surpirsed if that's where Oda got some of his inspiration for some characters of One Piece. And what kind of ninja were you expecting the kind that runs around just killing people.

HK
7th May 2006, 4:23 AM
Wait, is that good that i get it???

... Yes. I just wonder what tastes you do have in manga/anime, if any.

Captain hates One Piece...something all about pirating...I find that slightly ironic. Especially when it's such a good pirate manga(if not the only one).

... No, it isn't ironic since the term 'captain' doesn't pertain or originate with pirates, genius. And as far as being a good manga about pirates, no, it isn't. 'Pirates' that have supernatural abilities? Maybe. Realistic pirates that are truly in history? Oh hell no.

And what kind of ninja were you expecting the kind that runs around just killing people.

... The 'ninjas' in Naruto are hardly what I would call ninjas in the real world. Honestly, the 'ninjas' in that world would make p*ss-poor ones in real life considering the whole concept of being a ninja is to BE SILENT ABOUT WHAT YOU DO.

Oh yeah, I'm in a bitter mood right now when it comes to fans of Naruto and One Piece who don't know any better, in case you didn't notice.

Megchan
7th May 2006, 4:57 AM
... The 'ninjas' in Naruto are hardly what I would call ninjas in the real world. Honestly, the 'ninjas' in that world would make p*ss-poor ones in real life considering the whole concept of being a ninja is to BE SILENT ABOUT WHAT YOU DO.

Oh yeah, I'm in a bitter mood right now when it comes to fans of Naruto and One Piece who don't know any better, in case you didn't notice.

Complete slipped my mind. =^^=;; *feels stupid*

Rex Kamex
7th May 2006, 8:28 PM
The same goes with the pirates from One Piece. But about the ninjas, the only one that seems the most like a ninja is Rock Lee, the guy who was teased for doing awful at ninjustu and genjutsu! What's up with that?

Not that I really mind. I like the ninjas and pirates in the mangas.

[QUOTE=EmeraldDragono.k.
Who wants to waste very valuble time watching a pirate stretch???? NOT ME.. Its like a copy of Fantastic 4 with pirates![/QUOTE]

On the contrary, it's original. Okay, maybe not original, but this kind of power hasn't necessarilly been done in other mangas.

Kecleon Freak
7th May 2006, 8:41 PM
Yeah, Luffy's ability, while maybe not entirely original, is a nice break from the usual swords/guns/magic/energy blasts.

And if you want unique fighting styles, there's so many in One Piece. Almost every devil fruit user has a unique ability, such as turning into smoke, sprouting spikes, spring legs, etc. , and the character designs are like nothing I've seen in manga before, like Franky, Enel, Mr. 2, etc.

And, a copy of Fantastic 4 with pirates? I get the feeling EmeraldDragon hasn't read much of One Piece, if any. There are only 2 people in One Piece who have powers even close to those of the F4.

Skiks
7th May 2006, 8:46 PM
o.k.
Just to tell you the RK mangaka takes most of his character designs straight out of marvel and one from spawn. (I forget what company owns spawn). Using other things as inspriation isn't a bad thing.

EmbersBackUpSinger
9th May 2006, 9:02 PM
[QUOTE=HellKorn]... Yes. I just wonder what tastes you do have in manga/anime, if any.

Oh i just like "InuYasha", "Yu-Gi-Oh" and "The vision of Ecsavlone"

MarcmenX
10th May 2006, 11:37 PM
o.k.

... LOL! You know, you treat One Piece like the only other thing who has had a stretching character, while the stretching character idea has been done to death: Plastic man, Elastigirl, Mrs.Incredible, etc. Why not call them rip off as well?

Besides the fact that Luffy stretches, can you find any more similarities between the two? hm?

One Piece is about Pirates looking for the ultimate treasure and having adventures on the sea while battling other pirates they come across. Fantastic 4 is a group of 4 people who have to save the world, protect the city, etc, typical super hero stuff.

Also, Luffy's method of stretching is quite different. Mr.Fantastic can turn flat and slip through doors, as well as turn parts of his body into different things, such as hammers. All Luffy can do is stretch parts of his body far back, then contract them at quick speeds to do damage to his target. Oh, and he can imflate like a balloon too, but that's pretty much it.

Oh, plus he can boost his power by having steam come out his body, which makes him alot stronger and faster

and back on topic:

While Naruto is pretty fun and all, I'm afraid with delaying Sasuke's return and all the cursed fillers in the anime there are currently making the series grow a tad dull

While One Piece, with a very unique style of characters and story telling, just cannot get boring for me, Oda is seriously the man when it comes to good ideas for a jump manga.

deoxys_attack_mode
11th May 2006, 12:51 AM
I haven't read One Piece, so I'll have to say Naruto. As was said before, Naruto characters are nothing close to real ninjas. What kind of ninja master runs around in bright orange?!?!?! It's an interesting storyline that has unique charcters who actually have evolving relationships.Such as Sakura and Naruto or Sasuke and Naruto or Gaara and his teamates and Naruto. I think the whole "fake ninja" idea is better than the pirate thing. However, I am open to other opinions, and if anyone would be willing to give me a link to a site where I can view it for free, I will check it out.

MarcmenX
11th May 2006, 1:30 AM
I haven't read One Piece, so I'll have to say Naruto. As was said before, Naruto characters are nothing close to real ninjas. What kind of ninja master runs around in bright orange?!?!?! It's an interesting storyline that has unique charcters who actually have evolving relationships.Such as Sakura and Naruto or Sasuke and Naruto or Gaara and his teamates and Naruto. I think the whole "fake ninja" idea is better than the pirate thing. However, I am open to other opinions, and if anyone would be willing to give me a link to a site where I can view it for free, I will check it out.

read the manga for free?

http://groups.msn.com/onepiecemangav-2

there you go

deoxys_attack_mode
11th May 2006, 2:01 AM
Thank you.

Erus Black Mage
11th May 2006, 2:28 AM
I perfer one piece over naruto

blog_dog
11th May 2006, 3:04 AM
dude i like naruto better for one thing one piece has strange pirates although Naruto has A kickin ninjas i go for ninjas so naruto is the bomb! also click on this URL... CASUE WERE FIGHTING DREAMERS NARUTO GO!!!!!!

http://http://www.narutohq.com/naruto-go.php

deoxys_attack_mode
11th May 2006, 10:04 PM
From what I have read of One Piece so far, I can safely say the they are very different and hard to compare. IMO, Naruto has better artwork. I can't say too much more than that, since I only read 4 chapters of One Piece. It is very good though.............

Kez
14th May 2006, 1:15 PM
Shame you didnt do this as a pole, then we could have seen what people thought.

I would have to say that I would choose One Piece.
I like the idea that they are all following their dreams, and that they will do anything to do them. I also think that the Luffy is funny, as he is so clueless. I think that it is good as well how almost everythign which happens adds to the whole story and there seems to eb character development as well.

I have watched Naruto, but I was just more drawn to OP. I am not sure why, I think that it is several reasons. I think that the drawing style of OP dies give the impression tht it is for kids, but the themes in it are anything but.

ViNe WhIp
25th May 2006, 6:14 AM
Well I just got the first Vol. of One Piece today and I lurve it! Its sooo much better than the gawd awful anime dub. Hmm...I don't really have anything against Naruto it just doesn't draw me in as much as One Piece. Plus One Piece is imo unique since its about pirates.

Rex Kamex
25th May 2006, 11:33 PM
While Naruto is pretty fun and all, I'm afraid with delaying Sasuke's return and all the cursed fillers in the anime there are currently making the series grow a tad dull

Not exactly the way I would've said it, but yeah, this is the manga section.

By the way, the artwork in One Piece does get better overtime (not that I had a problem with the artwork in the first volumes), but then again, that happens with every manga.

deoxys_attack_mode
26th May 2006, 12:10 AM
Yeah. I've read through OP chapter 62 now, and the only complaint is the length of the fight scenes. It takes 15 chapters for one fight! The longest Naruto fight scene is Sasori Vs. Sakura and the old woman, which was 12 chapters long. I still think Naruto is better.

Kecleon Freak
26th May 2006, 12:41 AM
Most fights only take up a maximum of 4 or 5 chapters, with the exception of only a few. I do agree that some fights are too long, though (Luffy VS Don Krieg being one of the few).

In all honesty, I do think Naruto starts off better than One Piece, but now, the whole Enies Lobby situation blows most of Naruto out of the water.

Ohtachi
26th May 2006, 12:59 AM
The One Piece Manga I prefer over Naruto. Why? The story. Ninjas are cool, but not my bourbon. I've always liked Pirates and One Piece put a spin on the Pirate world and made it look cool (at least the Japanese Anime). The English Anime reaks if you ask me. Luffy is butchered. :O

DARKJTB
26th May 2006, 1:37 AM
I have to say Naruto.

Cain
26th May 2006, 2:31 AM
I've only watched One Peice once, and I watch Naruto all the time. So Naruto, obviously :P But, I don't like the way One Peice is animated, too oldish for me, really. I like more modern anime better.

ViNe WhIp
26th May 2006, 2:59 AM
I've only watched One Peice once, and I watch Naruto all the time. So Naruto, obviously :P But, I don't like the way One Peice is animated, too oldish for me, really. I like more modern anime better.
HELLO! THIS IS THE MANGA SECTION! Don't compare the manga to the piece of crap dub.

deoxys_attack_mode
27th May 2006, 10:45 PM
<OT>Dubs are usually crap. The people in the US think that everything has to be accaptable for children, so half of the good stuff is edited out.</OT>

You people are supposed to give reasons why you prefer one over the other. Not just say "I like Naruto."

zonic the hedgehog
28th May 2006, 2:20 AM
At first, this seems like a difficult question, but I in fact think that the One Piece manga is WAY more entertaining than the Naruto manga.

Mostly because the later issues in Naruto have about 5 images of the same character going, "*staring contest!* ..." >.>

Although I like the Naruto anime better, since it's a heck of a lot funnier and action-packed than the manga. :P

Comis Patronus
28th May 2006, 2:30 AM
Naruto is much better in every aspect.

Kecleon Freak
28th May 2006, 3:15 AM
It has been said, but please give reasons for why you think one is better than the other.

Blaziken Trainer
28th May 2006, 3:52 AM
Naruto all the way... The idea of ninja's to me seems cooler than pirates.

Milotic Wave
28th May 2006, 4:39 AM
Naruto rocks!
The jutsu kicks pirates butt.

Kecleon Freak
28th May 2006, 5:05 AM
...And pleasepleasePLEASE state some good reasons as to why you chose what you chose. Needless to say, stuff like naruto cuz ninjaz r kewler den piratez and one peice cuz usopp is hawt (lololz jkjk) will be ignored and probably disliked. A lot.

Quoted for emphasis. Please give good reasons. No, saying that ninja could beat pirates is not a measure of the quality of the series.

Truthfully, the cast of Naruto would not make very good ninja, as said before, and the only ninjalike thing I've ever seen any Naruto character do is use shuriken and kunai. Since the whole point of being a ninja is to silently kill, it wouldn't be very ninjalike to shout out the name of your technique, nor is it ninjalike to talk in the middle of a battle. (One Piece also has this, yes, but the characters in it do not profess to be ninja.)

Also, the cast of One Piece aren't pirates in the traditional sense either. They do not plunder or ransack other ships or villages nor do they murder innocent people. On both sides of the spectrum, the characters are neither true ninja or true pirates.

deoxys_attack_mode
28th May 2006, 10:35 PM
Actually, kunai are melee weapons, not ranged. Shuriken are only distractions, not actual killing tools. Ninja don't scream they are ninja, or wear bright orange. Ninja are supposed to be silent in everything, especially killing. Magic-like jutsus no not exist.

The list goes on about everything unrealistic. The list is just as long for OP.

Desert_Rose
19th June 2006, 8:26 PM
I like both, but I'll have to say Naruto. I like the characters and the story line better. One Piece is still pretty good, though.

blueguy
20th June 2006, 1:58 AM
I prefer Naruto. Naruto's storyline, art and characters all appeal much more to me than that of One Piece... I liked the manga of One Piece at the beginning when I used to read Shonen Jump, but I lost interest quickly... It's just not my cup of tea.

~Austin~
20th June 2006, 2:41 AM
^ ^_^... took those words outta my mouth. Naruto is far better. It has a better storyline and is much more entertaining than One Piece. I used to love One Piece but then I got into only wacthing Naruto and Bobobo-bo bo-bobo. Naruto is also VERY funny. <--- That's all I have to say :D

Goth_Guy
20th June 2006, 2:49 AM
In my opinion Naruto is better, One Piece is ok, but it is poorly drawn in both the anime and manga, also Naruto has a better polt and more memorable characers. One Piece characters are interesting at first, but after a while they gets stale as does the plot, but I do not like to pick anime or manga favorites.

Dragon 11
22nd June 2006, 12:56 AM
One Piece is quircky enough to work. The caracters are unique, as are the locations.

And what kind of ninja, were you expecting the kind that runs around just killing people.
Um, yes...

battlefrontiertrainer
22nd June 2006, 1:53 AM
Naruto for the same reasons said above but they need to travel more most of the time the story happens in the village hidden in the leaves

TheTurquoiseTauros!
22nd June 2006, 3:32 AM
I like naruto soooooooo much more than one piece just because its so much more "dramatic, and life and deathish"

Dragon Rider
22nd June 2006, 3:38 AM
Naruto. I love a good subplot (the more intricate and confusing the better) and I've always been fascinated by "elements" so I think it's cool they based the nations and villages on them. Plus, Hinata is just so danged cute, I wanna hug her :)

One Piece is... a bit too simple. It's still funny, though.

Kecleon Freak
22nd June 2006, 4:18 AM
Alrighty, long post ahead. This is purely my opinion, and is not meant to flame anyone.

What subplots exactly? I can't think of many subplots other than the Akatsuki, Sasuke's plan to resurrect the Uchiha clan, and the tension between the countries, none of which I would consider complex. (if anyone wants to refresh my memory, please do so).

One Piece has a lot of unresolved subplots, such as the Poneglyphs and the True History, the Will of D, Doflamingo's new era, Shanks and Whitebeard's connection, Buggy's crew pursuing Luffy, Blackbeard's relations with the Shichibukai, the ancient weapons, and more.

I wouldn't call either series' subplots intricate or confusing, if you want confusion and a large amount of depth, I wouldn't say either series is fit for that.

And as for Naruto being more "life and deathish", I don't see what makes it any more so than One Piece, sorry.

One main problem I have with Naruto is that is quality varies from time to time. While the Chuunin Exam arc up until the end of the Chase Sasuke arc was quite good with lots of character development and good pacing, after the timeskip, everything just rushes ahead, and the pacing gets worse.(Sasori fight anyone?).

In my opinion, what made Naruto good was the relationships between all the characters. Now, with most characters hardly ever appearing besides the main few, it gets a little stale. Naruto's fighting style just isn't refreshing anymore, it's always "Kage Bunshin!" "Rasengan!" "WHOAMG Kyuubi!!1". And don't even get me started on why I hate Sai.

Nowadays in One Piece, we have character development in Usopp, Robin, and their relations with the crew, and possible new crew members. The fights are not getting stale because there's something new every time. (Gear 2, Fire Leg, Perfect Climatact, Kabuto, Monster Chopper) There's constant tension as the Buster Call ships draw closer, and the pacing of the story is good.

While there might have been a time when I could have said Naruto was as good, if not better than One Piece, that time is past. In my opinion anyway, One Piece has gotten better with every new story, while Naruto has gotten worse.

.:Ultimate Shroomish:.
22nd June 2006, 5:49 AM
One Peice owns naruto!! the manga is much better than naruto's!!

wario017
26th June 2006, 8:10 AM
NARUTO for sure! one peice dosnt make sence to me,just from eating a fruit he has stretchey powers. VERY UNCOMMON!

Clockworkz
26th June 2006, 8:57 AM
Ninjas vs. Pirates, eh?
Where's the option for "neither'?
If I was forced into choosing one at gunpoint, though, I'd say Naruto. Simply because it's more serious. And that's the only reason.

Laz-E-Boy
26th June 2006, 9:30 AM
Ninjas vs. Pirates, eh?
Where's the option for "neither'?
If I was forced into choosing one at gunpoint, though, I'd say Naruto. Simply because it's more serious. And that's the only reason.

Don't really see where Naruto is more serious than One Piece...

As for the question, I'd say Naruto the first 2-3 arcs are better than OP first 2-3 arcs. After that OP is easily better than Naruto (with Rescue Sasuke arc being the exception. Thats on par with the Alabasta arc and Skypiea arc, but below Water 7)

Skiks
26th June 2006, 2:46 PM
NARUTO for sure! one peice dosnt make sence to me,just from eating a fruit he has stretchey powers. VERY UNCOMMON!
And your point? Kid has an effing demon inside of him. VERY UNCOMMON!
ee; I'd be boring if every anime were the same as others.

MegaRob
26th June 2006, 5:48 PM
I read both, I prefer One Piece over Naruto. I like One Piece's art style more also(but not in the anime; the animation doesn't do the character designs justice methinks). And I know this doesn't have ANYTHING to do with whichever series is better, but... I'd take Nami and the other One Piece cuties over ALL of the Naruto girls together. So reading One Piece is easier on my eyes I guess. :p

SlushIce
27th June 2006, 10:37 PM
i havent read Naruto, but i strongly recomend One Piece. this series is pure humor and fights between pirate people with crazy powers. its drawn in a wery cartoonish style and good ditals

squirrel boy
2nd July 2006, 5:03 PM
naruto end of story

JohtoBlaziken
2nd July 2006, 6:07 PM
I'm not very hardcore with either manga, but I'd say Naruto. But, I would say that One Piece is very interesting character-wise and plot-wise. Though Naruto is full of cliche's, I adore the art style and enjoy the vibe of fantasy in the manga. And for anyone that bothers to argue that Naruto is realistic, spitting fire, along with other things are not realistic.

Sadly though, the manga has kind of slowed down with the time skip, so it is not like it once was. Overall, I'd say Naruto. Once Piece is very close though.

FireKero!
2nd July 2006, 7:10 PM
Naruto over OP. Why? well, cause, I guess..........

Naruto has an over-used story done good, while OP has an original story done well. OP's character development is very sucky, what with Luffy's family interaction and all. But Naruto's character development can relate to anyone. Obese children, promiscious girls, orphens, young murderers, hell the list goes on.

Might add more later. I'm bored now.

Golde
3rd July 2006, 5:06 AM
Naruto cauz ninjaz iz coolr then piratez

Nah. Really, Naruto is more serious. One peice is the show for da funnyness. Not Naruto. And the Violence. Yay Violence!

akane_rose
3rd July 2006, 5:33 AM
rose: I don't know. I really like both animes and it hard to chose between which one. I've seen about half the One Piece movies and came to love it even more. the goofy moments in the show really make me laugh. Luffy is such a riot. but when it gets serious it gets even more interesting and keeps me hooked. especially when it gets serious in the movies, you just have to know what going to happen next.

Naruto has its funny moments. I just love the violence that there!! the conflict between characters!! the feelings between!!! the mystery to what really behind Kakashi's mask. I mean more than just that spare mask he keeps underneathe. Sasuke's sheer determination to get stronger to avenge his clan and kill Itachi. the characteres here are so interesting and compelling. Oorochimaru is one heck of a twisted villain.

both shows in their own respect are freakin' awesome!!! wOOt!!! :D

Kecleon Freak
3rd July 2006, 6:06 AM
Naruto cauz ninjaz iz coolr then piratez

Nah. Really, Naruto is more serious. One peice is the show for da funnyness. Not Naruto. And the Violence. Yay Violence!

...One Piece has more violence than Naruto... I don't recall anything gorey in either series, and One Piece definitely has more blood.

And while I do agree that Naruto has more serious moments, it's currently mostly devoid of humor aside from a small bit now and then, which IMO is worse than having a lot of humor.

Sachiko
3rd July 2006, 6:28 PM
Shame you didnt do this as a pole, then we could have seen what people thought.

SACHI TO THE RESCUE!!!!!! I'm a SUPERHERO!!!! I read the posts and counted up who picked what:

One Piece: 19

Naruto: 24

Both: 3

Neither: 2 {If you picked this, you should be ashamed of yourself!!! )= }

I'll pick something later.

PikachuRocks4Ever
3rd July 2006, 6:55 PM
I really like both,but I think Naruto is Better!

DemonicShikamaru
3rd July 2006, 7:28 PM
My sig says it all. I like Naruto way better. I've watched One Piece before, and I don't like it as much. It's funny though, but Naruto is:
1. Funny
2. Violent (though not too violent, usually)
3. Sorta scary
4. Hot Guys :P
5. Quality Animation

In addition One Piece has too "kiddish" graphics, making it boring in my opinion.

3rd July 2006, 7:33 PM
One piece is the worst show ever. I hate it. HATE IT!
Naruto is a great show. It is perhaps my favorite anime out there now that Full Metal Alchemist has ended.

Kecleon Freak
3rd July 2006, 8:16 PM
THIS IS THE MANGA SECTION!!!

So for you people who have said you don't like one becasue of the ANIMATION, remember that this is MANGA and NOT ANIME!!!

And if you're basing your opinions on One Piece because of its crappy dub or even the original anime, I suggest you read the manga before you post.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but some people are just ignorant.

squirrel boy
5th July 2006, 4:17 PM
Naruto end of story

Judai-and-sho
8th July 2006, 7:55 PM
One Piece trumps Naruto. The only time I was bored during One Piece was during the Skypea flashback. The only time I wasnt bored during Naruto after the Chuunin exams was during the battles.

MEWTWO_PWNS_YOU
31st July 2006, 6:30 AM
naruto
ninja>pirate

Chris
31st July 2006, 6:32 AM
naruto
ninja>pirate
Because being a ninja automatically makes it better, right?

Pfft. One Piece has a better story and more interesting characters. :|

ΩOmega WeavileΩ
31st July 2006, 7:24 AM
Definatly Naruto. Ninja's make the world go round!

Kakashi Sensei
31st July 2006, 7:26 AM
I like anime shows, but my favorite one is Naruto as you can see.

Konosuke
31st July 2006, 7:39 AM
One Piece > Naruto

Despite One Piece's artwork, its story and characters pwn Naruto hands down. I was rarely ever bored, i dont know what may happen next, and its art style is odd. Naruto is generic, can tell what will happen next but its still pretty good.

Both are good series, its just that One Piece is the better series.

Commander_Cool
31st July 2006, 3:00 PM
naruto is way better than one piece. the artwork is better the action sequences in naruto are better than one piece and naruto has a interesting story.

TogeticTheRuler
31st July 2006, 3:06 PM
Naruto definitley pwns One Piece,sad storys(i cried when Haku was dead)more logic about fighting(fooling ur opponent,sexy jutsu:D)

-Sonansu!-
31st July 2006, 3:46 PM
This is like asking if you want a poke in the eye or a kick to the crotch. :P

All (sort of) joking aside, it's kinda hard for me to pick. The Naruto manga doesn't have all the annoying fillers that the anime does, and I definitely think the One Piece manga is better than its anime counterpart. But somehow, One Piece doesn't click with me like Naruto does.

Then again, OP's supporting characters don't make me feel like stabbing myself the way Naruto's do. While IMO Naruto is more interesting than Luffy, Zoro and Nami are miles above Sasuke and Sakura in terms of being good and interesting characters.

For me to like a series, I have to like its characters. So yeah, One Piece for me.

Kecleon Freak
31st July 2006, 7:36 PM
That's another reason I like OP over Naruto too. I'd take the OP cast over Naruto's any day. While there are characters I like a lot in Naruto (Lee, Shikamaru), they always seem to be pushed aside. (latter part of DBZ, anyone?). It doesn't help that I don't find the characters that ARE focused on to be interesting or likeable at all.

TogeticTheRuler: Is calling yourself a ninja while running around in bright orange and yelling out the names of your techniques logical? :P

Je suis meilleur
31st July 2006, 9:30 PM
Personally, storyline-wise, I prefer One Piece. To me; more interesting characters; even if they are pirates and evil organizations.

As for artwork, I choose Naruto, but overal, One Piece.

Gaaradon Of The Dessert
31st July 2006, 9:31 PM
This is like asking if you want a poke in the eye or a kick to the crotch. :P

All (sort of) joking aside, it's kinda hard for me to pick. The Naruto manga doesn't have all the annoying fillers that the anime does, and I definitely think the One Piece manga is better than its anime counterpart. But somehow, One Piece doesn't click with me like Naruto does.

Then again, OP's supporting characters don't make me feel like stabbing myself the way Naruto's do. While IMO Naruto is more interesting than Luffy, Zoro and Nami are miles above Sasuke and Sakura in terms of being good and interesting characters.

For me to like a series, I have to like its characters. So yeah, One Piece for me.
he'sright everyone gonna pick naruto over one piece, aint a person in this world that like one piece over Narutos, i have 2 say Naruto, duh, my username is "Gaara" don.

Deputy55
31st July 2006, 9:35 PM
I am going to say Naruto because One Piece rocks but 4kids changed it from the japanese version by so much that it would of been much better if they kept it the same or close.

Naruto Uzumaki
31st July 2006, 9:55 PM
I think both are are equal and neither surpass the other!

Konosuke
31st July 2006, 9:55 PM
Yea, sadly, in America, there are two things going against One Piece. The artwork is odd (and interesting to me and others) and 4kids kiddified it to the point of murder.

blackice2
31st July 2006, 9:56 PM
I like the One Piece manga better, but anime Naruto is better than One Piece IMO. Yes I'm talking about Japanese version not dub.

Skiks
31st July 2006, 10:02 PM
he'sright everyone gonna pick naruto over one piece, aint a person in this world that like one piece over Narutos, i have 2 say Naruto, duh, my username is "Gaara" don.
Watch me. Right now it's One Piece>Naruto. It's just not boring me right now.

Kakashi Sensei
31st July 2006, 10:04 PM
I will say it again it is all about Naruto.

Miss Kanna
1st August 2006, 4:05 PM
I never really got into the One Piece,so I choose Naruto ^^;

Rock
2nd August 2006, 2:05 AM
One piece all the way for me. I really love how Eiichiro oda made a new art style not sterotypical to anime. His story is also as original as his art have any of you ever heard of a pirate manga? now how many of you have heard of a Ninja manga? In originality one piece wins hands down. Now for the story line... Yes it can be seen as simple to a rookie who only read one chapter and mabey a show but when you read one piece there are many twist and forshadowing making it fun to read. Back to originality the fights are amazing.. to thoose you have read up to the recent chapters of one piece in japan ( cp9 saga ) you will know what im talking about. Even them fights early in the manga were wild fantastic and fun. Iv been reading stuff about how one piece isn't dramatic..... =/ come on now.. clearly you have never read it or watched it..there are plenty of tear jerker moments in one piece. ( Arlong saga - Nami's mother death , Chopper's mentor the only person who loved him dying to save there country, captain shanks losing an arm to sav luffy, Nico robin getting teased as a girl and he mom dying plus her whole town... my goodness there are so much more so im gonna stop there.

And on top of this I like one piece's easy going feel to it. Clearly Eiichiro oda wanted reader to feel good about themselfs after reading one piece and have a better look on life... because one of the biggest themes of one piece is to live for tomarrow for it can / will always be better. and be happy!

~ fin

~Meitantei Starlight*~
2nd August 2006, 3:20 AM
I'd say Naruto :D

True, I haven't read a lot of Manga in One Piece, but mostly just because it doesn't seem to...err...y'know. I can't seem to get too interested in it -0- Maybe it's because I missed a few chapters in the beginning, though I highly doubt it. I have read it in Shounen Jump over the past year, but recently I've just... stopped.

Naruto catchies me attentioon more <3

Plus they are like, almost totally different, so ya cant blame me for liking one and not the other just because ;3 cause people vary as much as do Manga lol -shot-

Who knows...maybe I will like the One Piece (MANGA) in the future...time will only tell =/

But..for know I say Naruto <33 lol

celebi mew
3rd August 2006, 1:17 AM
i love them both but the best is 1 piece

Zinimi
3rd August 2006, 2:27 AM
I like Naruto, but One Piece is my favorite manga. My choice is obvious.
Incase you didn't get it, One Piece.

.:Ultimate Shroomish:.
3rd August 2006, 3:39 AM
ONe piece the manga owns naruto! even the anime owns!

Cartoonami
3rd August 2006, 4:23 AM
One Piece has better art work and a more universal story(who doesn't love pirates?)
But as far as anime, Naruto pawns One 4Kids-trashed-it Piece.
Thank God 4Kids didn't get Naruto too.

BattleFranky~40
4th August 2006, 7:19 AM
One Piece has better artwork, much more likeable and overall better characters, a more grand and enjoyable story, cooler and better drawn fights, more interesting elements, cooler and more unique powers, and Oda is a badass, while Kishi... not so much. Plus, Oda can actually draw women that look like women, and doesn't rescrict himself to just drawing men that look like women like Kishi does.

Catalyst
4th August 2006, 10:18 AM
Oda's artwork is great... Kishimoto's looks like scribbles for the most part.

One Piece is yet to go into DBZ with pirates and plot, like Naruto is now DBZ with ninjas and a plot.

Though One Piece is pretty average until they get to the Grand Line, then it gets -way- better.

Gon Freecss
4th August 2006, 10:45 AM
I think Naruto is better artwork than One Piece manga but then again One Piece is more detailed and more actiony so One Piece. If it was anime though I would say Naruto!

SudovVoOdO
4th August 2006, 11:54 AM
Omg... where are all the naruto fans sleeping? Fight back fools NaRuTo rOx ya"ll!!

deoxys_attack_mode
4th August 2006, 5:24 PM
The art in OP is terrible; the people look like they got plastic surgery while stoned. Also, the short fight scenes are longer than the longest battle in Naruto, making it more drawn out and tedious to read. I'm sticking with my Naruto choice.

BattleFranky~40
4th August 2006, 7:00 PM
The art in OP is terrible; the people look like they got plastic surgery while stoned. Also, the short fight scenes are longer than the longest battle in Naruto, making it more drawn out and tedious to read. I'm sticking with my Naruto choice.
And people in Naruto look like bland manga characters with no unique attributes whatsoever, so I think that it evens out. And Naruto drags on a hell of a lot more than One Piece does, with tons of uneeded talking and, in the case of the anime, flashbacks every 5 seconds

Seth_X_of_Fortree
11th August 2006, 5:10 PM
NE P ECE!

What?

Oh, ONE PIECE.

gligirl
11th August 2006, 7:29 PM
naruto! i've only seen a couple episodes of one piece and i don't think its as good as naruto

Evilchibi_pichu
11th August 2006, 7:39 PM
Naruto. I can't get into One Piece, it just doesn't interest or keep my attention as much.

Besides I think Naruto looks better than One Piece in terms of character art.

BattleFranky~40
11th August 2006, 11:15 PM
naruto! i've only seen a couple episodes of one piece and i don't think its as good as naruto
Since it is highly likely that you saw the horrendous dub, you haven't actually watched One Piece at all.

Penguin
11th August 2006, 11:31 PM
I've heard that One Piece is actually one of the best series out there, you just have to get over the art and everything. I, however, just haven't found much interest.

I'm sure they are both good series in their own ways, but I have to choose Naruto on this one. I actually took interest in it.

DeVan2230
12th August 2006, 12:04 AM
Naruto OWNS.Nuff said

Naetoru & Stitch
12th August 2006, 2:40 AM
I like them both a lot. But I would have to lean toward Naruto just becuse I see more of that then One Piece.

BattleFranky~40
12th August 2006, 3:12 AM
Naruto OWNS.Nuff said
What's exactly so top 10 quality about Naruto?

Skiks
12th August 2006, 3:40 AM

OP art is based on the art used in Nightmare before Christmas btw. =D

BattleFranky~40
12th August 2006, 3:52 AM
Where do you people get this stuff?

Honestly, it isn't.

Chris
12th August 2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah, seriously. o_O Oda's only real inspiration at anything was Dragon Ball. And even then, his artwork is his own. Oda was simply inspired in becoming as a good of a mangaka as Akira Toriyama considering how he freakin' worships the man.

And "like DBZ but with a plot?" You fools don't even seem to realize Dragon Ball in the later stages DOES have a plot. :| You're just too up into looking at the action portions to really even notice.

Besides I think Naruto looks better than One Piece in terms of character art.
Naruto = Generic spikey haired blonde with supernatural powers.
Sasuke = Generic spikey, black haired, angst filled male who constantly has spats with the main protagonist (Vegeta and Goku, Hiei and Yusuke much?)
Sakura = Generic pink haired, girly girl with no real physical talent other than providing fanservice to guys who beat off to 12-year old anime girls.

Yeah. Quite better. ;\

Catalyst
12th August 2006, 12:59 PM

I just cracked up IRL.

The only plot DBZ has is bad guys come, fight, beat bad guys. Repeated over. Though DB had a plot, a good plot, before the series is filled with beams and crap. DB was a good manga. [We should take this somewhere else. >_>]

So it's agreed then? One Piece>>>>Naruto.

Rudoku
12th August 2006, 2:03 PM
Isn't Naruto going into 80+ episodes of filler now, including a "jump the shark" moment (Naruto's golden shower)? Yeah, it's gonna be cancelled before they get to the good parts again. Like Ruroni Kenshin.

Korobooshi Kojiro
12th August 2006, 3:11 PM
I have to say One Piece as it has way more interesting characters and doesn't resort to bizarre nonsensical explanations.

The only thing I dislike about OP is how anorexic they make Nami look....

Sabaku_no_Gaara
12th August 2006, 4:33 PM
I prefer Naruto......I just like the plot better. X3 I never read much of One Piece, however. o_x

Raine
12th August 2006, 4:34 PM
I've read both the one piece manga and naruto.
They're both pretty good, I like 'em about the same but I like Naruto a bit more, just because I like the martial arts stuff more than the pirate stuff...

Skiks
12th August 2006, 8:07 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiichiro_Oda
Although Wiki is sometimes inaccurate I don't see why he wouldn't get insipration for somethings from american culture. Might be wrong but whatever.

BattleFranky~40
12th August 2006, 10:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiichiro_Oda
Although Wiki is sometimes inaccurate I don't see why he wouldn't get insipration for somethings from american culture. Might be wrong but whatever.
Yes, Eneru looks to be based on Eminem, Spandam looks like Mick Foley, Foxy looks like Count Chocula, and Robin looks like the girl off of Pulp Fiction.

But there's no way in hell Oda's art is inspired by TNBC.

coolcobra77
13th August 2006, 1:02 AM
I like One piece becuase Luffy is just too funny to hate...

Naruto is great but very little Comic Relief relaly just leaves hard- core action.

I mean sure Hard core action is great but even in Halo Master Chief/ Cortane provide some comic relief with a few swares just to show they're human and smartasses.

Yuugis Black Magician
13th August 2006, 1:14 AM
One Piece...

The art is quite easy on the eyes. I don't see how people can say it's bad, or weird. Art aside, One Piece has much better writing and pacing. The characters and all the mysteries in this currently running (422 chapters as of today) keep drawing me closer and closer to it. The Devil Fruit powers are also quite instresting. Luffy's Gum-Gum powers continue to expand (pun!!) and the intresting foes of past also seem to not be done away with (Buggy is on the Grand Line, and Boroque Works seem to be up to something, even if in prison, Blackbeard is also up to something). Even currently friends and foes alike are fresh (like Franky, and this jerk Spandam).

All and all, it comes down to the writing not art.

*Note I lost my train of thought somewhere in this post so it might be a little weird.

BattleFranky~40
13th August 2006, 1:23 AM
Baroque Works has been sent to Impel Down.

This could mean two things. The first thing is that the Straw Hats could end up meeting them while escaping from Enies Lobby. The second thing is that we'll never see them again since they might as well be dead already.

wcgold
13th August 2006, 3:10 AM
I'm probably not the first one to say this, but what is this, a "Which is better, pirates or ninjas?" poll?

Anyways, although I like both, I'll go with One Piece, based solely on the fact that I watch more of it than Naruto.

Korobooshi Kojiro
13th August 2006, 3:10 AM
Nightmare Before Christmas is one of Oda's favorite Movie iirc.

He was gonna call Buggy, Boogie, until he saw the movie. lol.

Skiks
13th August 2006, 5:55 AM
Yes My point is Oda usually puts something he likes in his manga. I can't find the article that said that but it's not too entirely impossible.

BattleFranky~40
13th August 2006, 6:02 AM
Yes My point is Oda usually puts something he likes in his manga. I can't find the article that said that but it's not too entirely impossible.
Just because it adds some stuff he likes to the manga, doesn't make your opinion on Oda using NBC as a source for his art true.

And Oda never said anything like that. This of course is besides the fact that One Piece looks NOTHING like NBC.

Catalyst
13th August 2006, 6:16 AM
Lmao @ Foxy the Silver Fox looking like Count Chocula... my god, it's so true. Though I guess Robin does look like Uma Thurman a bit.

Zinimi
13th August 2006, 7:39 AM
Those are two of my favorite manga and my two favorite anime...
The thing is, Naruto's my 3rd favorite manga ands One Piece my favorite. Plus, I actually find the Naruto anime to be... really boring in some places.

My vote: One Piece. Naruto is a close 3rd.

BattleFranky~40
13th August 2006, 7:43 AM
Lmao @ Foxy the Silver Fox looking like Count Chocula... my god, it's so true. Though I guess Robin does look like Uma Thurman a bit.
And Franky looks like a combo of Frankenstein, Popeye, and Ace Ventura

Naetoru
13th August 2006, 12:07 PM
You One Piece Fans just keep coming back to comment on the Naruto likers, and the same for some Naruto fans. Especially to the ones responding to most people's posts. SHUT. THE FREAK. UP. Everyone has their opinion and you trying to explain to them your opinion doesn't have an effect on their opinion. It's best if you just leave them entitled to their opinion. It's great that you want to defend your desired choice, but seriously, this is a topic where you vote why which series is better, not getting fired up and defending your anime. Yes, DO feel free to tell somebody is wrong about their misconceptions, but seriously, it's not that BIG of a deal that would really change the opinion of somebody elses. JEEZ.

IMO, Naruto. I'm a sucker for detrimental character growth. Although One Piece is very different.

One Piece
1. Adventure after Adventure. (Adventure after adventure, so the fun never stops. What about when Jack needs to take some time off to practice? The problem here is that they're mainly wandering around from place to place with the eventual goal of finding a large treasure hoard in a place called One Piece. They really don't have a plan on how they'll find out about this. The bad thing about this is that these characters want to gain something materialistic in the end, which IMO is bad. Great mangas depict the character working for a goal to satisfy themselves and to promote their characters. Hikaru no Go, for example, Hikaru seeks to become a master of Go because of the love of the game. Naruto seeks to become the Hokage because he feels left out and ignored in his village. He feels that he wants to be known and looked up to as a hero, because he was previously looked down upon as dirt.)

2. Extremely different art style. (So different, I'd say that it just doesn't work. I also hate how they just have to try to impress the reader by giving every main female character large jugs. You don't have to be "ZOMG shee's HOTTT!" to be able to fight worth a piece of ****. Sure, they're looks are basically for fanservice. You may say that Sakura is as she is for fanservice. This is an utter lie, and is spoken about by the mangaka, Masashi Kishimoto. http://groups.msn.com/NarutoMangaReturns/volume3.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6678 Read to find out she was drawn NOT to be cute, or in any way "HAWT". Also, to those idiots who think that Naruto's art style is generic, THINK AGAIN. As he walked home from school he saw a movie poster, one of the best drawings he had ever seen, how could a person draw this good? The drawing was for Katsuhiro Ootomo's "Akira". This drawing rekindled the flame and passion to draw, and to this day he continues to draw continously in hopes of one day getting close to that picture. After he learned of "Akira", Masashi Kishimoto's drawings changed in a big way. He spent hours studying and trying to understand the style of Ootomo, but couldn't. He then had a revelation that this was totally original, and nothing else was like this. It would be impossible to copy, much like a persons DNA. He couldn't understand what was great about the drawings of both Ootomo and Toriyama, but there was a few things he could understand. The effects, designs, every small detail was perfect and different from other artists. Kishimoto then began thinking to himself that an attractive picture is an original one, learning how to copy other artists was pointless. For a mangaka that also hailed Akira Toriyama as GOD, he also found out that it was necessary to create his own drawing style to have a manga that looked good. http://www.narutofan.com/index.php/content-masashi%20kishimoto,biography)

3. Pirates. (Hated the general Pirate theme in this generation with Pirates of the Caribbean, One Piece, and other Pirate things. Ever since One Piece, Pirates have just sprung up a lot, and IMO they aren't very interesting, and in fact i've just grown a disliking for them.)

4. Little to no character growth. (Growth is shown when characters are introduced, when they join the crew, and when they're past is learned. NONE OTHER THAN THAT. In Naruto, characters grow from the situations where they would have been in a close to death incident or at a point where Naruto's ideals are threatened. In fact, I can't even recall how much Naruto's personality has grown, and frankly it would detail a 3 page or longer essay easily just detailing the basics of his growths.)

5. Fights consist of NO tactics, but a simple hit/bash use my special powers battle royale until your opponent is dead or unconscious. (As evident in One Piece, there's no battle planning at all. NONE WHATSOEVER. They don't plan a strategy, they don't have some kind of weakness they want to exploit in the enemy, NOTHING. As evident when Shikamaru or Kakashi explains battle tactics, there is a VERY deep strategy involved. This is especially evident by when Shikamaru is in the main arc, such as the Chunnin Exams and the Rescue Sasuke arc. One Piece's action is just similar to DBZs. Lots of Flashy moves and try to catch your opponent with your super move. Not that this is bad in fights, it's just very excessively bland when it's seen over and over. When opponents are finished in Naruto, it's due to a plan they had been thinking, and got the opponent off-guard to use it in a devastating way, which goes to show that the delivery of the attack is much more important than the attack itself. Anyone can blast a Kamehameha, but when you Instant-Transmission behind your opponent, who has recorded your every battle and knows the strategy you use inside and out, and blast the Kamehameha at point-blank is a sign that the delivery is the key. A simple Karate Chop can kill the opponent if you strike when the time is right and in a very vital area.)

6. Characters develop only in one area. (Luffy trains his Rubber Power. Zolo trains with his Swords. Usopp with Marksmanship. Yadda yadda yadda. In Naruto, the characters learn how to master different Jutsus, which can be seen as powers. A really good ninja has an assload of jutsus at their disposal, as Kakashi is a ninja who has been said to have copied over a 1000 jutsus with his Sharingan. Learning when to use attacks, etc, etc, is important in Naruto. All people do in One Piece is just train what they're good at and try they're best in the same fashion as they beat the last guy. In Naruto, ninjas learn different jutsus instead of training all day in one area. The only character that doesn't follow this same procedure is Rock Lee, who in my mind is an inspiration. He trains his *** off everyday, with the inability to use neither genjutsu nor ninjutsu, he's forced to follow the life if Taijutsu, which is something he excels at so well, that his Taijutsu skills are easily at the rank of a Jounin during the Chuunin Exam, although he fails where it comes to having the mentality of being the leader of a squad and getting into the finals.)

All in all, I hate One Piece Manga the same reason at which I hate the Pokemon Anime. Little to no tactics, little to no Character growth, no preparation is ever done (It's like being in an RPG where you fight boss after boss.), and no appreciation for being extraordinarily witty or a quick thinker.

I've always loved Naruto Manga, and in fact I hate the Naruto Anime. It just doesn't capture the emotion expressed in the much better art or the emotional lessons conveyed, which is a VERY BIG main part of Naruto. Something else that I feel, is that I connect on a 1 to 1 basis with Naruto Uzumaki. I feel the same emotions given the situation he's in, and his courage to speak big when nervous and the absolute refusal under any condition to give up fuels me emotionally. Naruto, to me is an emotional inspiration. Something One Piece could never acheive with me. I really don't care much for either series's funny parts, as they're not really THAT funny. If I want a lot of laughs, I'll watch the Chapelle Show or read BoBoBo.

Chris
13th August 2006, 12:07 PM
I'm probably not the first one to say this, but what is this, a "Which is better, pirates or ninjas?" poll?
No. Why? Because we're discussing about comics that simply have those two. It's not because of the fact that one has ninjas and the other has pirates, but more among the lines of which is all around better.

One Piece, in this case, definately beats out Naruto in just about everything.

Korobooshi Kojiro
13th August 2006, 3:11 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

One Piece
1. Adventure after Adventure. (Adventure after adventure, so the fun never stops. What about when Jack needs to take some time off to practice? The problem here is that they're mainly wandering around from place to place with the eventual goal of finding a large treasure hoard in a place called One Piece. They really don't have a plan on how they'll find out about this. The bad thing about this is that these characters want to gain something materialistic in the end, which IMO is bad. Great mangas depict the character working for a goal to satisfy themselves and to promote their characters. Hikaru no Go, for example, Hikaru seeks to become a master of Go because of the love of the game. Naruto seeks to become the Hokage because he feels left out and ignored in his village. He feels that he wants to be known and looked up to as a hero, because he was previously looked down upon as dirt.)

Techincally, Luffy want to prove himself by being King of the Pirates, One Piece is just a means to a goal. It's not even confirmed if it's actual treasure!

2. Extremely different art style. (So different, I'd say that it just doesn't work. I also hate how they just have to try to impress the reader by giving every main female character large jugs. You don't have to be "ZOMG shee's HOTTT!" to be able to fight worth a piece of ****. Sure, they're looks are basically for fanservice. You may say that Sakura is as she is for fanservice. This is an utter lie, and is spoken about by the mangaka, Masashi Kishimoto. http://groups.msn.com/NarutoMangaReturns/volume3.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6678 Read to find out she was drawn NOT to be cute, or in any way "HAWT". Also, to those idiots who think that Naruto's art style is generic, THINK AGAIN. As he walked home from school he saw a movie poster, one of the best drawings he had ever seen, how could a person draw this good? The drawing was for Katsuhiro Ootomo's "Akira". This drawing rekindled the flame and passion to draw, and to this day he continues to draw continously in hopes of one day getting close to that picture. After he learned of "Akira", Masashi Kishimoto's drawings changed in a big way. He spent hours studying and trying to understand the style of Ootomo, but couldn't. He then had a revelation that this was totally original, and nothing else was like this. It would be impossible to copy, much like a persons DNA. He couldn't understand what was great about the drawings of both Ootomo and Toriyama, but there was a few things he could understand. The effects, designs, every small detail was perfect and different from other artists. Kishimoto then began thinking to himself that an attractive picture is an original one, learning how to copy other artists was pointless. For a mangaka that also hailed Akira Toriyama as GOD, he also found out that it was necessary to create his own drawing style to have a manga that looked good. http://www.narutofan.com/index.php/content-masashi%20kishimoto,biography)

His own? Kishimoto's art is basically standard manga, Oda's is alot more unique. Can't argue about him giving most of the main females big breasts, but most mangas do as well. But the femals can fight, and they aren't their just for fanservice!

3. Pirates. (Hated the general Pirate theme in this generation with Pirates of the Caribbean, One Piece, and other Pirate things. Ever since One Piece, Pirates have just sprung up a lot, and IMO they aren't very interesting, and in fact i've just grown a disliking for them.)

Pirates of the Carribean and One Piece are the only pirate related things I've seen in the last couple of years. How many times do you see Ninja's? Alot.

4. Little to no character growth. (Growth is shown when characters are introduced, when they join the crew, and when they're past is learned. NONE OTHER THAN THAT. In Naruto, characters grow from the situations where they would have been in a close to death incident or at a point where Naruto's ideals are threatened. In fact, I can't even recall how much Naruto's personality has grown, and frankly it would detail a 3 page or longer essay easily just detailing the basics of his growths.)

Their is Character growth, like Usopp standing up for himself against the Fishmen. Naruto doesn't have that much character development, Naruto isn't that different, unless you count learning new attacks "Character Development".

5. Fights consist of NO tactics, but a simple hit/bash use my special powers battle royale until your opponent is dead or unconscious. (As evident in One Piece, there's no battle planning at all. NONE WHATSOEVER. They don't plan a strategy, they don't have some kind of weakness they want to exploit in the enemy, NOTHING. As evident when Shikamaru or Kakashi explains battle tactics, there is a VERY deep strategy involved. This is especially evident by when Shikamaru is in the main arc, such as the Chunnin Exams and the Rescue Sasuke arc. One Piece's action is just similar to DBZs. Lots of Flashy moves and try to catch your opponent with your super move. Not that this is bad in fights, it's just very excessively bland when it's seen over and over. When opponents are finished in Naruto, it's due to a plan they had been thinking, and got the opponent off-guard to use it in a devastating way, which goes to show that the delivery of the attack is much more important than the attack itself. Anyone can blast a Kamehameha, but when you Instant-Transmission behind your opponent, who has recorded your every battle and knows the strategy you use inside and out, and blast the Kamehameha at point-blank is a sign that the delivery is the key. A simple Karate Chop can kill the opponent if you strike when the time is right and in a very vital area.)

Yes, Naruto's made-up strategys and explanations are so amazing. One Piece has strategy too, it's usally pre-fight strategy though, like forming an attack or something. Not too mention their are some clever tatics.

6. Characters develop only in one area. (Luffy trains his Rubber Power. Zolo trains with his Swords. Usopp with Marksmanship. Yadda yadda yadda. In Naruto, the characters learn how to master different Jutsus, which can be seen as powers. A really good ninja has an assload of jutsus at their disposal, as Kakashi is a ninja who has been said to have copied over a 1000 jutsus with his Sharingan. Learning when to use attacks, etc, etc, is important in Naruto. All people do in One Piece is just train what they're good at and try they're best in the same fashion as they beat the last guy. In Naruto, ninjas learn different jutsus instead of training all day in one area. The only character that doesn't follow this same procedure is Rock Lee, who in my mind is an inspiration. He trains his *** off everyday, with the inability to use neither genjutsu nor ninjutsu, he's forced to follow the life if Taijutsu, which is something he excels at so well, that his Taijutsu skills are easily at the rank of a Jounin during the Chuunin Exam, although he fails where it comes to having the mentality of being the leader of a squad and getting into the finals.)

Yeah, your battle technique makes a good character. It doesn't matter how shelled out your personality is, as long as you can kill some one with awesome techniques ....-_-

All in all, I hate One Piece Manga the same reason at which I hate the Pokemon Anime. Little to no tactics, little to no Character growth, no preparation is ever done (It's like being in an RPG where you fight boss after boss.), and no appreciation for being extraordinarily witty or a quick thinker.

Pokemon has more tatics then alot of Anime's I've seen. And One Piece has alot of character growth, they don't spend every episode flashing back about something or another, and they are witty.

"Your a Mega-Perv!"
"Ooop....I farted!"
"Sexy no Jutsu!"

Ooooooh, extremely witty!

I've always loved Naruto Manga, and in fact I hate the Naruto Anime. It just doesn't capture the emotion expressed in the much better art or the emotional lessons conveyed, which is a VERY BIG main part of Naruto. Something else that I feel, is that I connect on a 1 to 1 basis with Naruto Uzumaki. I feel the same emotions given the situation he's in, and his courage to speak big when nervous and the absolute refusal under any condition to give up fuels me emotionally. Naruto, to me is an emotional inspiration. Something One Piece could never acheive with me. I really don't care much for either series's funny parts, as they're not really THAT funny.

Umm....emotional inspiration? Personally, that show is not that emotional. I've only cried once or twice why watching it.

Kecleon Freak
13th August 2006, 7:04 PM
1. Well, first of all, it's hard to compare the series when they have different premises. We don't really even know why Luffy wants to be Pirate King so badly, but I'm sure we'll get some kind of flashback. We also don't know what One Piece itself is. And people in OP do train, the author just doesn't show it because it's most likely nothing too special or important to waste chapters with.

2. As others have said, at least the artstyle isn't as generic and doesn't look like a coloring book in later chapters. And at least Nami and Robin aren't total baggage and actually DO something other than stand there. I admit that Sakura's fight with Sasori was a step up, but she goes back to being useless in the next arc.

3. The characters in OP aren't really pirates. The only thing we've ever seen them steal is the gold from Skypiea, and the Skypieans were going to give that to them anyway.

4. Naruto has some characters that are developed. That is good. Naruto, however, is not one of those characters. Tell me, how has he changed? I'd really like to hear it.

5. First of all, do you really expect Luffy to come up with a Shikamaru-level battle plan? For one thing, it would be out of character. Luffy fights on instinct, and if he knows his enemy's weakness, he does exploit it. (Crocodile fight anyone?)

And at least in OP fights, characters don't spend so much dang time explaining their or their opponent's techniques and the details of how they work.

6. If I'm reading this correctly, you want OP characters to abandon all the work on their established fighting style and start pulling new and different techniques out of their butts.

The reason OP characters train only at what they're good at is because they aren't some magical ninjas who can do absolutely anything by making hand signs, and the Op characters focus on what they CAN do well, becasue they have limits on what they can do, unlike in Naruto. I'm sorry but this comment seems really silly. The worlds are completely different. That would be like Zoro suddenly learning ninjutsu and Nami gaining rubber powers.

Naetoru
13th August 2006, 9:57 PM
Techincally, Luffy want to prove himself by being King of the Pirates, One Piece is just a means to a goal. It's not even confirmed if it's actual treasure!
If I'm not mistaken, the English Dub states that One Piece is Roger's Treasure Hoard, stating that "I left everything I own, in One Piece." However, this could just be a misinterpretation on Viz's part. I'd think the anime wouldn't stray off to say something like that every episode. But alas, as I haven't read any One Piece Manga except about the first 4 volumes which is next to nothing, the anime talk isn't canon to this topic.

His own? Kishimoto's art is basically standard manga, Oda's is alot more unique. Can't argue about him giving most of the main females big breasts, but most mangas do as well. But the femals can fight, and they aren't their just for fanservice!
Yes, and Oda's must just be standard manga. Honestly, neither art style isn't original. They're both great in their own respects and unlike others. No, I don't dispute that females can't fight, as Sakura can do much more damage in one punch pro-timeskip than Naruto can. What I state is that the LOOKS are for fanservice, not the females. You don't have to be "OMFG she's fricken HAWT" to be able to fight.

Pirates of the Carribean and One Piece are the only pirate related things I've seen in the last couple of years. How many times do you see Ninja's? Alot.
How many times do you see Ninjas? Tell me. All I can recall off the top of my head is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and possibly some Ninja classes in some FF games. I'm just tired of seeing the modern day's growing fascination of Pirates, as the History Channel does a lot of Pirate Themed research, as to piecing to gether the life of Black Beard, etc, and Disney's popular Pirates of the Carribean. Ideally, both backgrounds have a major corporation shelling out something commonly known. Ninjas - Ninja Turtles. Pirates - Pirates of the Carribean. Don't come on to me saying that Ninjas are overdone to death, as this is the first manga I've ever seen that had Ninjas as the main occupation, and One Piece is the first manga I've seen to include Pirates as the main occupation. Both series are in the same damn boat. (Pun unintended)

Their is Character growth, like Usopp standing up for himself against the Fishmen. Naruto doesn't have that much character development, Naruto isn't that different, unless you count learning new attacks "Character Development".
Would you REALLY like me to detail all of Naruto's character developments? I just think that's a lot of work just to prove one single point to you. If you really don't want to take my word for it, I'll detail a VERY long post on just the basics of his character growths throughout every chapter.

Yes, Naruto's made-up strategys and explanations are so amazing. One Piece has strategy too, it's usally pre-fight strategy though, like forming an attack or something. Not too mention their are some clever tatics.
Clever tactics? Something I'd call clever tactics would be Naruto farting near Kiba's nose in the Chuunin exam. That's clever, but nowhere near the complexity used when Shikamaru fights. Read on www.narutomangareturns.com the Shika vs. Temari and Shika vs. Tayuya fight if you want to understand strategy. And another misconception, Naruto doesn't really explain his tactics very often after using them on his opponent. Although the strategy used is sometimes taken through a loop of unexpected genius.

Yeah, your battle technique makes a good character. It doesn't matter how shelled out your personality is, as long as you can kill some one with awesome techniques ....-_-
Yeah, unfortunately that is what One Piece is all about. One Piece mainly focuses on the attacks they gain every once in awhile and use it to do some major damage to the enemy. In Naruto, it's much more about the delivery of the attack that determines whether it's a good hit or not. Take Shikamaru for an example, although he only has one offensive jutsu, Shadow Neck Bind Jutsu, he's never used it successfully. He's tried to use it on Tayuya, but the immensity of her chakra repelled the jutsu, even at point-blank range. He, instead uses the Shadow Mimic Jutsu to his advantage in his fights. It's a technique where you use your chakra to control your shadow to link with another person's shadow and forcefully make them mimic your every move. If I throw a Kunai, the other person throws a Kunai back at me, which would seem like a rather useless move, but Shikamaru obviously makes it work for him in his fights.

Pokemon has more tatics then alot of Anime's I've seen. And One Piece has alot of character growth, they don't spend every episode flashing back about something or another, and they are witty.
Yeah, real life tactics, that really aren't considered THAT great or outstanding to realize. Tactics I appreciate are ones that I wouldn't have thought aboutm myself, which is clearly evident a lot of the time in Naruto. The flashbacks used are to show what the character is thinking about, in response to what another character said, which reveals their personality some more. For every flashback, there is another instance of character growth.

"Your a Mega-Perv!"
"Ooop....I farted!"
"Sexy no Jutsu!"

Ooooooh, extremely witty!
You do realize that Sexy no Jutsu was never used in the Manga in battle. It's just some perverted Ninjutsu Naruto came up with. The fart was never intentional, and was merely a stroke of luck. Jiraiya being a Mega-Pervert is mainly comic releif.

Umm....emotional inspiration? Personally, that show is not that emotional. I've only cried once or twice why watching it.
No, not the SHOW. The show SUCKS. NARUTO ANIME SUCKS. The manga is MUCH better. And no, crying is not all that's emotional. When Naruto gets O'ed, I realize why he's PO'ed and why I would be PO'ed if I were in the same position. Unfortunately, this is a empathetic feeling that I have for Naruto, and I'm not sure how I could ever possibly convey this to you. However, you'll notice this feeling one day when you realize that a manga that you're reading has a character in it whose personality intrigues you an inspires you to become like him/her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Well, first of all, it's hard to compare the series when they have different premises. We don't really even know why Luffy wants to be Pirate King so badly, but I'm sure we'll get some kind of flashback. We also don't know what One Piece itself is. And people in OP do train, the author just doesn't show it because it's most likely nothing too special or important to waste chapters with.
I agree. It's very difficult to compare. And for somebody that doesn't know much about One Piece, I certainly know WHY Luffy wants to be King of the Pirates. In the initial flashback, he promises Red Haired Shanks that he'll be a great pirate someday, even better than he is. As means to accomplish this goal Luffy set out to retreive One Piece and become King of the Pirates, and was given Red Haired Shanks's signature straw hat as a keepsake to return back once he completed this goal. This was in the first volume, I'm sorry, but you're just retarded if you don't know why Luffy wants to become King of the Pirates or find One Piece. That's the same as somebody saying that he doesn't know why Naruto wants to be Konoha's Hokage someday... UH! IDIOT! It explains that in the FIRST VOLUME!

2. As others have said, at least the artstyle isn't as generic and doesn't look like a coloring book in later chapters. And at least Nami and Robin aren't total baggage and actually DO something other than stand there. I admit that Sakura's fight with Sasori was a step up, but she goes back to being useless in the next arc.
Useless, because the focus is back on Naruto and the new team members Sai and Yamato. This is mainly due to Yamato's battle strategy of him protecting the only medical ninja, while Naruto and Sai co-op in offensive jutsus if enemies appear. She'll step back up, she just has her ups and downs. And no, Sakura's not baggage, she's Naruto's close friend, and he'd rather die than let her get killed. Sakura's even promised herself that she'd rather die than just watch her teammates fight instead of her on the sideline, which is why she took special training with Tsunade.

3. The characters in OP aren't really pirates. The only thing we've ever seen them steal is the gold from Skypiea, and the Skypieans were going to give that to them anyway.
Agreed, and netiher are most of the Ninjas in Naruto real ninjas. some however have priorities on stealth and strategy, such as Shikamaru. This is pretty much agreed on both sides.

4. Naruto has some characters that are developed. That is good. Naruto, however, is not one of those characters. Tell me, how has he changed? I'd really like to hear it.
Again, I don't really feel the need of going through every chapter and explaining every single development Naruto has acheived, because I'm sure if I just list 10, you'll come back with your 10 for OP. If I do list any, it'll be all of the character development Naruto has, and I really don't think this is necessary unless you REALLY would like for me to do this.

5. First of all, do you really expect Luffy to come up with a Shikamaru-level battle plan? For one thing, it would be out of character. Luffy fights on instinct, and if he knows his enemy's weakness, he does exploit it. (Crocodile fight anyone?)

And at least in OP fights, characters don't spend so much dang time explaining their or their opponent's techniques and the details of how they work.
This time they use in explaining the opponent's moves is actually great for me. It gives it a sense of realism in how breaching defenses and attacks can work. IMO, I like the explanations a LOT.

6. If I'm reading this correctly, you want OP characters to abandon all the work on their established fighting style and start pulling new and different techniques out of their butts.

The reason OP characters train only at what they're good at is because they aren't some magical ninjas who can do absolutely anything by making hand signs, and the Op characters focus on what they CAN do well, becasue they have limits on what they can do, unlike in Naruto. I'm sorry but this comment seems really silly. The worlds are completely different. That would be like Zoro suddenly learning ninjutsu and Nami gaining rubber powers.
No, you're not reading it correctly. Technically, Zoro and Nami can gain those powers if they ate a cursed fruit that enabled those powers, sorry. And no, they don't need to throw out their fighting style, they just need to learn how to adjust their attacks depending on the opponent's attack style, and use moves that counter them when they're left open. If you just read the fight scenes, there's not much hint at an actual "fighting style" and it really looks to me it's just an all-out super power brawl. Can you identify a fighting style for Luffy? Well, I can't. But I can identify a fighting style for most of the main characters you name, such as Neji, Naruto, Shikamaru, Kiba, Shino, etc.

Silver Arrow
13th August 2006, 10:41 PM
Naruto Defenitly, One Piece looks really weird and has a weird plot. Naruto however is cool.
BTW did you know that Naruto is a anagram of Naetoru without the E?

Korobooshi Kojiro
13th August 2006, 11:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the English Dub states that One Piece is Roger's Treasure Hoard, stating that "I left everything I own, in One Piece." However, this could just be a misinterpretation on Viz's part. I'd think the anime wouldn't stray off to say something like that every episode. But alas, as I haven't read any One Piece Manga except about the first 4 volumes which is next to nothing, the anime talk isn't canon to this topic.

Yes, you've barely read the manga and you think the dub is canon....you strike a good arguement against One Piece...

Yes, and Oda's must just be standard manga. Honestly, neither art style isn't original. They're both great in their own respects and unlike others. No, I don't dispute that females can't fight, as Sakura can do much more damage in one punch pro-timeskip than Naruto can. What I state is that the LOOKS are for fanservice, not the females. You don't have to be "OMFG she's fricken HAWT" to be able to fight.

Nami isn't about raw power, she uses her brain and cunning to fight.

ow many times do you see Ninjas? Tell me. All I can recall off the top of my head is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and possibly some Ninja classes in some FF games. I'm just tired of seeing the modern day's growing fascination of Pirates, as the History Channel does a lot of Pirate Themed research, as to piecing to gether the life of Black Beard, etc, and Disney's popular Pirates of the Carribean. Ideally, both backgrounds have a major corporation shelling out something commonly known. Ninjas - Ninja Turtles. Pirates - Pirates of the Carribean. Don't come on to me saying that Ninjas are overdone to death, as this is the first manga I've ever seen that had Ninjas as the main occupation, and One Piece is the first manga I've seen to include Pirates as the main occupation. Both series are in the same damn boat. (Pun unintended)

You obviously don't read alot of manga, american comics, and watch Anime and Cartoons. Their are way more Ninja's then pirates....

Would you REALLY like me to detail all of Naruto's character developments? I just think that's a lot of work just to prove one single point to you. If you really don't want to take my word for it, I'll detail a VERY long post on just the basics of his character growths throughout every chapter.

Go for it, prove a point.

Clever tactics? Something I'd call clever tactics would be Naruto farting near Kiba's nose in the Chuunin exam. That's clever, but nowhere near the complexity used when Shikamaru fights. Read on www.narutomangareturns.com the Shika vs. Temari and Shika vs. Tayuya fight if you want to understand strategy. And another misconception, Naruto doesn't really explain his tactics very often after using them on his opponent. Although the strategy used is sometimes taken through a loop of unexpected genius.

I meant usually in Naruto they take forever explaining people their watching tatics...which they do. And farting wasn't strategy, it was an accident.

Yeah, real life tactics, that really aren't considered THAT great or outstanding to realize. Tactics I appreciate are ones that I wouldn't have thought aboutm myself, which is clearly evident a lot of the time in Naruto. The flashbacks used are to show what the character is thinking about, in response to what another character said, which reveals their personality some more. For every flashback, there is another instance of character growth.

Not really, just a long drawn out flashback. And obviously you wouldn't of though of these tatics, as they are impossible to duplicate pretty much.

You do realize that Sexy no Jutsu was never used in the Manga in battle. It's just some perverted Ninjutsu Naruto came up with. The fart was never intentional, and was merely a stroke of luck. Jiraiya being a Mega-Pervert is mainly comic releif.

I was saying those were trying to be funny, but weren't witty.

No, not the SHOW. The show SUCKS. NARUTO ANIME SUCKS. The manga is MUCH better. And no, crying is not all that's emotional. When Naruto gets O'ed, I realize why he's PO'ed and why I would be PO'ed if I were in the same position. Unfortunately, this is a empathetic feeling that I have for Naruto, and I'm not sure how I could ever possibly convey this to you. However, you'll notice this feeling one day when you realize that a manga that you're reading has a character in it whose personality intrigues you an inspires you to become like him/her.

Yes, the fillers suck, but not the whole show.

And yes, I felt for Naruto when he was lonely, but not much else. He's a pretty average shonen hero if you ask me. I feel much more for character that are more deep, like Chopper in OP.

This time they use in explaining the opponent's moves is actually great for me. It gives it a sense of realism in how breaching defenses and attacks can work. IMO, I like the explanations a LOT.

Explanations = Crap. Most of them are non sensical and fictional.

No, you're not reading it correctly. Technically, Zoro and Nami can gain those powers if they ate a cursed fruit that enabled those powers, sorry. And no, they don't need to throw out their fighting style, they just need to learn how to adjust their attacks depending on the opponent's attack style, and use moves that counter them when they're left open. If you just read the fight scenes, there's not much hint at an actual "fighting style" and it really looks to me it's just an all-out super power brawl. Can you identify a fighting style for Luffy? Well, I can't. But I can identify a fighting style for most of the main characters you name, such as Neji, Naruto, Shikamaru, Kiba, Shino, etc.

Luffy= Gum Gum Style, relys on instinct and rubber powers.
Zoro= Santoryu style, using three swords at once.
Nami= Thief style, uses her wit and agility.
Usopp= Liar style, relys on his sniper abilities and various tricks to fool opponents.
Sanji= Kick Style, uses his feet and not his hands.

Kecleon Freak
13th August 2006, 11:30 PM

Ah, so it's adapting fighting styles you mean? OP has plenty. Zoro adapted his style to cut steel against Mr. 1, and learned wind blade techniques in Skypiea. Luffy and Sanji have also adapted to fight the CP9's tekkai. Even Nami and Usopp have gotten different weapons.

You know, you aren't really in much of a position to criticize OP having only read up to volume 4.

BattleFranky~40
14th August 2006, 12:13 AM
Naruto Defenitly, One Piece looks really weird and has a weird plot. Naruto however is cool.
BTW did you know that Naruto is a anagram of Naetoru without the E?
If by wierd you mean unique and fresh, and by cool you mean completely generic and trite, then yes, One Piece is weird and Naruto is cool.

And yes, you cannot judge One Piece by 4 volumes. Volume 4 is only goes up to the Kuro Arc, for god's sake.

Catalyst
14th August 2006, 2:50 AM
To fairly judge them both:

Naruto: Most of the Chuunin Exam arc.

One Piece: Up to the end of the Arlong arc.

IMO Arlong arc>>>Chuunin exam arc. Manga only.

bigboss1022
14th August 2006, 3:15 AM
one piece all the wya by far. naruto is boring, horrible charaxcters and has no story.

Naetoru
14th August 2006, 8:57 AM
However, due to the fact that OP just doesn't click to me, I disregard it, and Naruto wins by default. Go Naruto.

Kojiro, PLEASE, if Ninjas are so overdone to death, name JUST 10 modern day things that have ninjas in it. I don't care what the heck they are, if they are really overdone to death, either your lying or i'm blind to it. PLEASE, prove me wrong. (Which isn't that hard to do if you just Google "Ninja")

Oh, and that 4 was a typo. It was meant as a 14.

BattleFranky~40
14th August 2006, 9:00 AM
However, due to the fact that OP just doesn't click to me, I disregard it, and Naruto wins by default. Go Naruto.

Basing One Piece on the first couple of arcs before Arlong is like basing Naruto on everything after the Wave Country Arc. Both of them are mehtastic.

Chris
14th August 2006, 12:28 PM
Fails for using the dub as a basis.

Too bad Sakura doesn't have much going for her in the ways of fighting, eh?

How many times do you see Ninjas? Tell me. All I can recall off the top of my head is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and possibly some Ninja classes in some FF games. I'm just tired of seeing the modern day's growing fascination of Pirates, as the History Channel does a lot of Pirate Themed research, as to piecing to gether the life of Black Beard, etc, and Disney's popular Pirates of the Carribean. Ideally, both backgrounds have a major corporation shelling out something commonly known. Ninjas - Ninja Turtles. Pirates - Pirates of the Carribean. Don't come on to me saying that Ninjas are overdone to death, as this is the first manga I've ever seen that had Ninjas as the main occupation, and One Piece is the first manga I've seen to include Pirates as the main occupation. Both series are in the same damn boat. (Pun unintended)
Fails for not actually watching more TV or movies.

Here's how Naruto development goes.

1) Character realizes their way of things was wrong and changes their thoughts of how to approach things (Neji).

2) Character reveals "traumatic past" which explains their (mostly cold) behavior (Sasuke, Naruto, Lee, Gaara, Hinata, Neji, Kakashi, Sakura).

3) Character that's seen as the weakest to others ends up rising to the top, eventually surpassing them (Lee, Naruto).

Real development there, huh?

Clever tactics? Something I'd call clever tactics would be Naruto farting near Kiba's nose in the Chuunin exam. That's clever, but nowhere near the complexity used when Shikamaru fights.
Too bad it was a FLUKE on Naruto's part.

Read on www.narutomangareturns.com the Shika vs. Temari and Shika vs. Tayuya fight if you want to understand strategy. And another misconception, Naruto doesn't really explain his tactics very often after using them on his opponent. Although the strategy used is sometimes taken through a loop of unexpected genius.
That's because most of his strategies aren't strategies at all. They're mainly him charging in on someone, using his clones and having a pure stroke of luck occur (sometimes in the form of using his Kyuubi chakra, others in summoning Gamma Bunta).

Yeah, unfortunately that is what One Piece is all about. One Piece mainly focuses on the attacks they gain every once in awhile and use it to do some major damage to the enemy. In Naruto, it's much more about the delivery of the attack that determines whether it's a good hit or not. Take Shikamaru for an example, although he only has one offensive jutsu, Shadow Neck Bind Jutsu, he's never used it successfully. He's tried to use it on Tayuya, but the immensity of her chakra repelled the jutsu, even at point-blank range. He, instead uses the Shadow Mimic Jutsu to his advantage in his fights. It's a technique where you use your chakra to control your shadow to link with another person's shadow and forcefully make them mimic your every move. If I throw a Kunai, the other person throws a Kunai back at me, which would seem like a rather useless move, but Shikamaru obviously makes it work for him in his fights.
Everyone gains once in a while? One could easily argue the very same about Naruto. Everyone in One Piece has pretty much trained their skills since they've started using them. Such is not the case with the Naruto crew.

Most of the "tactics" in Naruto are pretty much easy to see a mile away. Especially when ninjas are SHOUTING THEIR ATTACKS. As for flashbacks, thank you for proving my point on the "character development" Naruto provides us. Character developement doesn't require flash backs every five seconds or every ten pages.

Funny. You said it was earlier.

ULTIMATE FAILURE. Why? The show is BASED ON THE MANGA. Don't act like the show makes up just about everything considering it's based originally on the manga. Only thing you can't trust is the filler arc and episodes. Everything else is based off the manga. May I also remind you that Naruto and every character in there has a backstory so cliche, I'm seeing Dragon Balls and Gundams spilling out.

Sakura's even promised herself that she'd rather die than just watch her teammates fight instead of her on the sideline, which is why she took special training with Tsunade.
Still doesn't excuse her from being the most useless of the group.

Agreed, and netiher are most of the Ninjas in Naruto real ninjas. some however have priorities on stealth and strategy, such as Shikamaru. This is pretty much agreed on both sides.
Technically Luffy and the Straw Hats are pirates. They're out to steal away what is seen as the greatest treasure of the seas from those who wish to have it. Luffy clearly calls himself a pirate and pretty much does things a pirate would do, although he is somewhat of a hypocrite by actually being a good guy.

Naruto, HOWEVER, calls himself CLEARLY a ninja when his hair is blond, he wears bright clothing, shouts out the names of his attacks and tends to rely more on physical techniques rather than using traps, weapons, ninjutsu techniques and stealth. Well using his clones is a ninjutsu technique, standing out in the open with them and very seldomly using them as decoys isn't exactly very ninja like.

Again, I don't really feel the need of going through every chapter and explaining every single development Naruto has acheived, because I'm sure if I just list 10, you'll come back with your 10 for OP. If I do list any, it'll be all of the character development Naruto has, and I really don't think this is necessary unless you REALLY would like for me to do this.
Naruto hasn't really had much development other than the cliche shonen protagonist type of development. Failure becomes better and surpases those who were once better than himself. That's about it.

Because explaining how your attacks work is REALLY great and surely wouldn't tell your opponent how to exploit it. Right?

No, you're not reading it correctly. Technically, Zoro and Nami can gain those powers if they ate a cursed fruit that enabled those powers, sorry.
You mean being able to weild three swords with sheer physical strength and slashing a staff around while using wits can all be obtained with the help of a Devil's Fruit? HOT DAMN! What am I doing wasting my time using my own strength and wit on you when I could eat a fruit and get 100x that?

Right.

And no, they don't need to throw out their fighting style, they just need to learn how to adjust their attacks depending on the opponent's attack style, and use moves that counter them when they're left open. If you just read the fight scenes, there's not much hint at an actual "fighting style" and it really looks to me it's just an all-out super power brawl. Can you identify a fighting style for Luffy? Well, I can't.
Rubber Man style. Do I have to explain this?

But I can identify a fighting style for most of the main characters you name, such as Neji, Naruto, Shikamaru, Kiba, Shino, etc.
Neji: Calls you worthless and talks down to you while assuming he's superiror and beats you down while he's messed with your emotions.

Naruto: Uses inner demon powers and the super Shonen Protagonist ability where if he says he can do something, he ends up doing it 10x better than what he said he could do.

Shikamaru: Doesn't really give a damn and just slows the fight down by being a lazy ***.

Kiba: Fights like an animal. And with his little dog, too!

Shino: Uses bugs to freak you out and scare the living piss out of you as they mess with your chakra.

Real detailed, pal.

UberSorcerer
14th August 2006, 3:31 PM
Er... my opinions:

I personaly feel that Naruto's art style is far superior, as OP's looks like a bad Dragon Ball GT(Not mentioning Ball/Z because it had texturing to characters, Ball especialy, GT does not) Something about OP's unique style with curtain characters makes me with to type something overly dramatic, they look like dolls. As of yet, I have too see a Naruto character that makes me wish to turn away in discust, they just look insane, especialy Sharingan Eye users and Naruto.

Story wise, for the lead atleast, are basicaly the same, I want to be the greatest _______. Typical Shonen characters, call me a DB fanboy, but atleast Gokou never wanted to be "The Strongest Guy" he wanted to be stronger so he could have stronger opponents and have fun, well, most of Ball anyway. I kinda am not a fan of either story, One Piece feels like a RPG and Naruto feels like a BAD fightning game, Naruto has they key problem in it's characters.

Characters in Naruto and OP both seem very childish, but atleast Naruto has more than one normal character, just not a main one, One Piece does have one normal lead. The "pirates" in OP are not typical WESTERN pirates, they are eastern pirates and as said before, feel like RPG characters, specialising in one ability. Naruto on the other hand, do not LOOK like ninja's, do not ACT exactly like ninjas, or conduct them selves as ninja's.

With the dubs of both anime, Naruto clearly wins easily, "One Piece of Crap that 4kids Made" stands no chance, but the dub is nothing to go on, if we were going on dubs, .HACK//LotT was total rubbish, same with CCS and alot of other anime.

I am no One Piece fan, I think very little of it to be honest, I will take my Wannabe Ninja's with weird fashionsence anyday, but I will admit, Naruto is very stereotyped and followed by ignorant fanboys/girls and Bandwagon followers, like FFVII.

-Sonansu!-
14th August 2006, 3:47 PM
You know what I think? This is off-topic, but I think these vs. threads should be outlawed, because people are rarely allowed to have an opinion in them.

Ah, hell, what am I talking about? No one's allowed to have an opinion anywhere on Serebii.net except for the older members and the mods/admins. :P The day that everyone can say what they think on here without worry is the day that Hell freezes over and Satan gives out free Popsicles. >_>;;

As for my opinion on which is better, well, it usually fluctuates, like last time when I said I preferred One Piece. Well, it's changed for now since I prefer Naruto again. It always depends on what's happening in both series.

~Meitantei Starlight*~
14th August 2006, 7:51 PM
omfg edward puh-lease! Just because your some random fanboy of the show One Piece doesn't mean you have to bash everyone else's opinions!

[SIZE=1]Fails for using the dub as a basis.

What if he doesn't watch the original? Some people dislike illegal tactics you know; the world doesn't revolve around you : (

I...really have no idea what you meant by that lol

Fails for not actually watching more TV or movies.

Oh come ON! You can't possible fail someone for THAT can you?? I myself don't watch tv that much (though I HAVE heard of Ninja scroll and stuff; I've never watched it before) and true, I have seen more Pirates than Ninja, though not Anime-wise. I guess it's whether you're talking about real life shows/movies or not (since lately Ive seen more pirates on tv/movies than Ninja)

Here's how Naruto development goes.

1) Character realizes their way of things was wrong and changes their thoughts of how to approach things (Neji).

2) Character reveals "traumatic past" which explains their (mostly cold) behavior (Sasuke, Naruto, Lee, Gaara, Hinata, Neji, Kakashi, Sakura).

3) Character that's seen as the weakest to others ends up rising to the top, eventually surpassing them (Lee, Naruto).

Real development there, huh?

Lol you got it wrong there; first, nobody ever said Sakura, Lee, Naruto, or Hinata were ever "cold" at all in their lives. Second, why bash Naruto for it? ;P It's called "cliche" if you haven't realized; it happens in almost ever Anime and I bet One Piece isn't an exception.

Too bad it was a FLUKE on Naruto's part.

Yeah I wouldn't really call it a clever tactic..though I wouldn't call it aweful either; Anime would be too bland without flukes like these ;3 (*thinking about the first ep of Samurai Champloo with the flying squirrel* lmfao...)

That's because most of his strategies aren't strategies at all. They're mainly him charging in on someone, using his clones and having a pure stroke of luck occur (sometimes in the form of using his Kyuubi chakra, others in summoning Gamma Bunta).

That doesn't happen all the time you know =/ I think you fail for looking PAST some of his tactics. Like, think of his fight with Neji in the finals; or what about the beginning of the second part of his fight with Kiba? He was using strategy there (the parts where he turns into Akamaru, etc.)

Everyone gains once in a while? One could easily argue the very same about Naruto. Everyone in One Piece has pretty much trained their skills since they've started using them. Such is not the case with the Naruto crew.

Uh, excuse, what about Sasuke's fireball techinque? (god I frogot what it's called lol) In his past it shows him training. Also I think you are forgetting the epiosdes where he trainer with Jirayia =/ With Naruto training with BOTH the summouning technique, and then later the Rasengan. (Oh, and that makes me think of Sasuke's training with Kakashi) So please, I hate to say this, but think a little of times like those before you post ; (

Most of the "tactics" in Naruto are pretty much easy to see a mile away. Especially when ninjas are SHOUTING THEIR ATTACKS. As for flashbacks, thank you for proving my point on the "character development" Naruto provides us. Character developement doesn't require flash backs every five seconds or every ten pages.

Again, think of times like the fight with Kiba please ~_~

And you're right; character developement doesn't need flashbacks, though I don't really think they automaticly change because of them =/ They are just to tell about their past if you haven't realized..

Funny. You said it was earlier.

Naw, everyone knows the fart was never intentional; I guess it's the "comic relief" he was talking about (cause that seems it would fit best there) See my other reply about "normal fighting getting too boring after a while"

I think some flukes are good once in a while...

ULTIMATE FAILURE. Why? The show is BASED ON THE MANGA. Don't act like the show makes up just about everything considering it's based originally on the manga. Only thing you can't trust is the filler arc and episodes. Everything else is based off the manga. May I also remind you that Naruto and every character in there has a backstory so cliche, I'm seeing Dragon Balls and Gundams spilling out.

Dragon Balls? Gundams? Oh, and don't forget the Kakashi Gaiden; they never showed that one >.>

The only thing I can say to how it relates to Dragon Ball is how everything tends to drag on now :P With the neverending fillers and all...I don't watch Gundam so I wouldn't know what you mean by that x.x

Well I would reply to all, but I have to go now x( *expects edward to most likely flame me when I return*

*sigh*.....

Oh, and sonasu I must ask why you like Naruto now for what is happening in the series currently o_O (which is a mass amounts of fillers)

And yeah, I kinda agree with you on the people not allowed to express their own opinions thing...

Kecleon Freak
14th August 2006, 8:01 PM
Oh, and sonasu I must ask why you like Naruto now for what is happening in the series currently o_O (which is a mass amounts of fillers)

We're talking about the manga, this is the manga section. The fillers are only in the anime.

BattleFranky~40
15th August 2006, 12:33 AM
What if he doesn't watch the original? Some people dislike illegal tactics you know; the world doesn't revolve around you : (

Then tough luck, because the dub is ******* horrible and should never be the basis of any argument against One Piece.

~Meitantei Starlight*~
15th August 2006, 12:37 AM
Pfft. Sor-ry I forgot. @_@ I was replying to something about the Anime; I got confused, ok? Sheesh lol

And I can't question about liking the Manga up till now; I've read up to early 300 (before 310) and the battle where he gains 4 tails is awesome *_*

Then tough luck, because the dub is ******* horrible and should never be the basis of any argument against One Piece.

That's not his fault though; blame the dang company who bought it >.> *cough4crapcough*

Chris
15th August 2006, 1:09 AM
omfg edward puh-lease! Just because your some random fanboy of the show One Piece doesn't mean you have to bash everyone else's opinions!
Too bad you don't seem to realize that I do like Naruto but even I find it to be overly ridiculous with the way how people praise it.

As much as I dislike illegally watching a series that's been licensed, 4Kids gives us fans no other choice because they refuse to sell it uncut on DVD.

I...really have no idea what you meant by that lol
It means that Sakura can't exactly fight her way out of a paper bag without freaking over Sasuke.

Oh come ON! You can't possible fail someone for THAT can you?? I myself don't watch tv that much (though I HAVE heard of Ninja scroll and stuff; I've never watched it before) and true, I have seen more Pirates than Ninja, though not Anime-wise. I guess it's whether you're talking about real life shows/movies or not (since lately Ive seen more pirates on tv/movies than Ninja)
I'm talking on an all around media basis.

Lol you got it wrong there; first, nobody ever said Sakura, Lee, Naruto, or Hinata were ever "cold" at all in their lives. Second, why bash Naruto for it? ;P It's called "cliche" if you haven't realized; it happens in almost ever Anime and I bet One Piece isn't an exception.
You seem to have the inability to read.

The bolded is OPTIONAL. Depending on who it is we are speaking of. Obviously the ones you've mentioned are not cold, while Gaara, Neji and Sasuke are. Kakashi can be slightly harsh.

Obviously you missed my further references of Naruto being the cliche shonen protagonist. Naruto's much more cliche than Luffy. We already know Luffy's strong and can pretty much plow through anyone. Naruto, on the other hand, ends up going from weak to strong.

Yeah I wouldn't really call it a clever tactic..though I wouldn't call it aweful either; Anime would be too bland without flukes like these ;3 (*thinking about the first ep of Samurai Champloo with the flying squirrel* lmfao...)
Farting in someone's face and having a squirrel fly into someone's face are two completely different things. Less caca and peepee jokes, plz.

That doesn't happen all the time you know =/ I think you fail for looking PAST some of his tactics. Like, think of his fight with Neji in the finals; or what about the beginning of the second part of his fight with Kiba? He was using strategy there (the parts where he turns into Akamaru, etc.)
You mean how he used the Kyuubi chakra to be strong enough against Neji or "cleverly" hid himself in the ground and attacked from below? Or the part where he uses a clone to help as he turns into Akamaru? ;\

Uh, excuse, what about Sasuke's fireball techinque? (god I frogot what it's called lol) In his past it shows him training. Also I think you are forgetting the epiosdes where he trainer with Jirayia =/ With Naruto training with BOTH the summouning technique, and then later the Rasengan. (Oh, and that makes me think of Sasuke's training with Kakashi) So please, I hate to say this, but think a little of times like those before you post ; (
Sasuke already knew the technique and simply needed to use it without spending so much chakra. That's a given one. However, Naruto did not know ANY summoning techniques before he was taught them. Nor were they his own unique styles. Naruto's training in using these techniques was simply to perfect being able to use them. Just about everytime he tried using them when taught, he ended up screwing up.

Again, think of times like the fight with Kiba please ~_~

And you're right; character developement doesn't need flashbacks, though I don't really think they automaticly change because of them =/ They are just to tell about their past if you haven't realized..
Kiba gives his puppy a pill which makes his fur red and stands up. An indication that anyone should get the idea of to be careful. ;\ Kiba shouts his attacks as well as Naruto.

Character development is a means of showing how the character is currently "evolving" in a way. Flashbacks do nothing but show what they once were and how they became who they are now. That would be past development. Past development and current character development are two completely different things. Naruto's riddled with past development in the forms of flash backs.

Naw, everyone knows the fart was never intentional; I guess it's the "comic relief" he was talking about (cause that seems it would fit best there) See my other reply about "normal fighting getting too boring after a while"

I think some flukes are good once in a while...
A normal fluke is fine. But not when it's your usual Naruto has a bowel movement gag. Though this is understandable considering Naruto's a kids' comic book/show, so obviously the kiddies would find it hilarious.

Dragon Balls? Gundams? Oh, and don't forget the Kakashi Gaiden; they never showed that one >.>

The only thing I can say to how it relates to Dragon Ball is how everything tends to drag on now :P With the neverending fillers and all...I don't watch Gundam so I wouldn't know what you mean by that x.x
I was throwing out random titles with that one. Even though it's suprising how I now think about it and realize there's a ton of cliches that seem to stem from borrowing from Dragon Ball and Gundam and other comics.

Well I would reply to all, but I have to go now x( *expects edward to most likely flame me when I return*

*sigh*.....

And yeah, I kinda agree with you on the people not allowed to express their own opinions thing...[/QUOTE]

Rudoku
15th August 2006, 1:41 AM
if we were going on dubs, .HACK//LotT was total rubbish

Anything with ".hack//" in the title IS rubbish, though. Just wanted to point that out.

Sk@rmory288
15th August 2006, 3:45 AM
NAruto, of course.

-The Skarm

BattleFranky~40
15th August 2006, 4:05 AM
NAruto, of course.

-The Skarm
Of course what? Of course your reasons for thinking Naruto is better weren't even explained?

~Meitantei Starlight*~
15th August 2006, 4:17 AM
oo bad you don't seem to realize that I do like Naruto but even I find it to be overly ridiculous with the way how people praise it.

How so? Too bad for me; I haven't seen too many people be overly obsessed with it to ay the stuff you do (only my retarded friend >.>) Yeah, I guess you're right about that...(only two people I know who over praise it) but you should really take into consideration that it's hard for me to see you as a Naruto fan when 1)I know you like one piece (your sig has had a pic in it ever since I was like, Evil-Pika (I think) I've been gone some, but most of the time I've seen a one piece pic in your sig lol) and 2) you reply to every Naruto fan's comment and bash their ideas of why it is better than One Piece (like they can't have an opinion *rolls eyes*) So tell me this; if someone were to say something along the lines of "Naruto sucks it's art is cr@P compared to one piece" How would you respond? (the same vice versa) ;P Just a bit curious..

As much as I dislike illegally watching a series that's been licensed, 4Kids gives us fans no other choice because they refuse to sell it uncut on DVD.

So then what would happen if Naterou had a crappy computer and couldn't download anything??? *shot*

Ouch, ok.. we're talking about the Manga here we keep forgetting O_X Um....though I wouldn't know if the English varied too much from the Japanese, since I don't download Manga of one piece...

It means that Sakura can't exactly fight her way out of a paper bag without freaking over Sasuke.

Lmfao! Well it IS true that she can fight (at least past the Chuunin exams) about the Sasuke thing...that’s a different story lmao

I'm talking on an all around media basis.

Meh.. I've never been too good with the media basis...I've seen movies with Pirates, though I've seen games with Ninja (Mortal Kombat) um...I guess it evens out?

You seem to have the inability to read.

Haha, aww now how'd I know you'd do that?

The bolded is OPTIONAL. Depending on who it is we are speaking of. Obviously the ones you've mentioned are not cold, while Gaara, Neji and Sasuke are. Kakashi can be slightly harsh.

Actually, it's called "misread" if you didn't already know. I thought you meant that the characters you mention all have behaviors that are MOSTLY COLD. You get what I'm saying?

Obviously you missed my further references of Naruto being the cliché shonen protagonist. Naruto's much more cliche than Luffy. We already know Luffy's strong and can pretty much plow through anyone. Naruto, on the other hand, ends up going from weak to strong.

Weak to strong? Now how is that ever cliché? :P

I've seen more Anime where the main characters are all 00ber powerful like you just said for Luffy lol

Farting in someone's face and having a squirrel fly into someone's face are two completely different things.

Not in my book they aren't >;3 They are both flukes that randomly appear, no? lol

Less caca and peepee jokes, plz.

wtf?! rofl!

You mean how he used the Kyuubi chakra to be strong enough against Neji or "cleverly" hid himself in the ground and attacked from below? Or the part where he uses a clone to help as he turns into Akamaru? ;\

Yes that's exactly what I mean :3 If you don't call them tactics, then what exactly DO they mean to you? lol

Sasuke already knew the technique and simply needed to use it without spending so much chakra. That's a given one. However, Naruto did not know ANY summoning techniques before he was taught them. Nor were they his own unique styles. Naruto's training in using these techniques was simply to perfect being able to use them. Just about every time he tried using them when taught, he ended up screwing up.

Ok I guess I can understand the Naruto part...Though what about the flashbacks with Lee? The ones where he was training Taijutsu? They aren't exactly copied either, since he met Gai AFTER he was seeing him train.

Kiba gives his puppy a pill which makes his fur red and stands up. An indication that anyone should get the idea of to be careful. ;\ Kiba shouts his attacks as well as Naruto.

You didn't see Naruto shouting "Kage Bunshin" or the transform technique when changing, did you? ;P

Character development is a means of showing how the character is currently "evolving" in a way. Flashbacks do nothing but show what they once were and how they became who they are now. That would be past development. Past development and current character development are two completely different things. Naruto's riddled with past development in the forms of flash backs.

Yeah with Naruto...though I would think Sakura be a different story (what with the forest of death and all). But yeah...

A normal fluke is fine. But not when it's your usual Naruto has a bowel movement gag. Though this is understandable considering Naruto's a kids' comic book/show, so obviously the kiddies would find it hilarious.

Actually it's not usual at all; it only happened once in the Anime actually XD (excluding the first movie mini) So what exactly do you mean by "normal flukes"? Please explain the difference between what you think is normal, and that one (and yeah, we really should take into consideration that Naruto really IS for little kids...*keeps forgetting* lol)

I was throwing out random titles with that one. Even though it's surprising how I now think about it and realize there's a ton of clichés that seem to stem from borrowing from Dragon Ball and Gundam and other comics.

Like...? (besides the long, drawn out battles; I already know that one lmfao)

Of course what? Of course your reasons for thinking Naruto is better weren't even explained?

G

So now I guess it's mandatory that everyone HAS to explain why they like one over the other? Pfft

Can't a simple answer ever please anyone anymore? -____- No, I guess we ALLL need proof now, as to why one is better than the other.

Catalyst
15th August 2006, 4:20 AM

Because it has the better dub all around. lololololo-- No. One Piece is pretty much the best Shounen Jump manga I've read out of like 20 or so. Second is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but anyway. The first couple of arcs of One Piece are hardly amazing, they're average but starts to bring things together nicely in the One Piece world and things come together nicely, the first arcs lead up to Arlong arc which is absolutely great. While Naruto starts off good then starts falling slowly then dies when the Chuunin Exam arc ends, then is brought back to life via Sasuke Retreval arc. Or something. =|

Chris
15th August 2006, 4:40 AM
How so? Too bad for me; I haven't seen too many people be overly obsessed with it to ay the stuff you do (only my retarded friend >.>) Yeah, I guess you're right about that...(only two people I know who over praise it) but you should really take into consideration that it's hard for me to see you as a Naruto fan when 1)I know you like one piece (your sig has had a pic in it ever since I was like, Evil-Pika (I think) I've been gone some, but most of the time I've seen a one piece pic in your sig lol) and 2) you reply to every Naruto fan's comment and bash their ideas of why it is better than One Piece (like they can't have an opinion *rolls eyes*) So tell me this; if someone were to say something along the lines of "Naruto sucks it's art is cr@P compared to one piece" How would you respond? (the same vice versa) ;P Just a bit curious..
I can take Naruto as a seperate comic/show. That's all good and fine. But when compared to others, it's just your generic shonen series with the same simplistic major plot. Does that stop me from watching or reading it? Not in the slightest bit. It'll get me to roll my eyes once in a while, but that's about it.

However, you just simply can't compare Naruto with One Piece. They differ in so many ways and the reality is that One Piece is indeed better than Naruto on accounts of how the story's drawn out, the detail placed into the artwork, and the uniqueness in just about every character shown in the manga. Naruto has the basic kind of art you'd expect in shonen series' with the same set of characters you would expect in a shonen series.

Mind you, this is not in any shape or form saying that Naruto sucks. Do not confuse my rantings with that. I simply do not agree that Naruto is better than One Piece.

As for my sig, you suck at keeping track of time. XP I haven't had this sig for even an entire month.

So then what would happen if Naterou had a crappy computer and couldn't download anything??? *shot*

Ouch, ok.. we're talking about the Manga here we keep forgetting O_X Um....though I wouldn't know if the English varied too much from the Japanese, since I don't download Manga of one piece...
The only changes to the manga in English so far have actually just been Zoro to Zolo and Kokoyashi Village to Coco Village.

Weak to strong? Now how is that ever cliché? :P

I've seen more Anime where the main characters are all 00ber powerful like you just said for Luffy lol
We've actually yet to see how Luffy even gained his strength when he trained for 10 years after eating the Rubber Fruit. The thing with Naruto is that most of the times we see him fight, he generally wins. Even when it seems like the odds are completely against him. All he has to do is do the usual Shonen Protagonist chant of "I can do this! I will win! Etc." and BAM! Strongest enemy's defeated. :P

Not in my book they aren't >;3 They are both flukes that randomly appear, no? lol
One is a bowel movement caused by a body building up gas while another is an animal using quick reflexes and its mind. Two different things. One can think. The other just farts.

Ok I guess I can understand the Naruto part...Though what about the flashbacks with Lee? The ones where he was training Taijutsu? They aren't exactly copied either, since he met Gai AFTER he was seeing him train.
Lee's the exception considering he doesn't use techniques that rely on ninjutsu. His techniques are pretty much used from his own body's strength and power.

Yeah with Naruto...though I would think Sakura be a different story (what with the forest of death and all). But yeah...
THAT is character devlopment. Though it's a shame the rest is just flashback after flashback. :\

deoxys_attack_mode
15th August 2006, 4:48 AM
I guess it's just settled that the two Mangas are different, and they both have their strong and weak points. Ok, maybe Naruto doesn't have many strong points, but I find it much more likeable than OP. This is starting to seem like a Flamming war.

~Meitantei Starlight*~
15th August 2006, 5:53 AM
Naw, far from a flame war ever happening ;3 Seriosuly though, I don't even know why people try to compare things like this...then again...*thinks of flying squirrel* ehehee...

I can take Naruto as a seperate comic/show. That's all good and fine. But when compared to others, it's just your generic shonen series with the same simplistic major plot. Does that stop me from watching or reading it? Not in the slightest bit. It'll get me to roll my eyes once in a while, but that's about it.

Well maybe some people like Shonen series like these lol

However, you just simply can't compare Naruto with One Piece. They differ in so many ways and the reality is that One Piece is indeed better than Naruto on accounts of how the story's drawn out, the detail placed into the artwork, and the uniqueness in just about every character shown in the manga. Naruto has the basic kind of art you'd expect in shonen series' with the same set of characters you would expect in a shonen series.

I'm sorry, but I'd have to say that that's only an opinion, and will probably always stay one. True, they are different, so you can't say for sure which one is better now can you....

Mind you, this is not in any shape or form saying that Naruto sucks. Do not confuse my rantings with that. I simply do not agree that Naruto is better than One Piece.

And that is fine with me ;3

As for my sig, you suck at keeping track of time. XP I haven't had this sig for even an entire month.

Lol well did I say a month? No; I just meant that every time I see your sig I either see One Piece, or FMA XD

The only changes to the manga in English so far have actually just been Zoro to Zolo and Kokoyashi Village to Coco Village.

Yeah, which kinda sucks since I remember it USED TO BE Zoro in the english manga, though once the crap dub came outt they changed it >__>

We've actually yet to see how Luffy even gained his strength when he trained for 10 years after eating the Rubber Fruit. The thing with Naruto is that most of the times we see him fight, he generally wins. Even when it seems like the odds are completely against him. All he has to do is do the usual Shonen Protagonist chant of "I can do this! I will win! Etc." and BAM! Strongest enemy's defeated. :P

What about Sasuke? Teehee *shot*

One is a bowel movement caused by a body building up gas while another is an animal using quick reflexes and its mind. Two different things. One can think. The other just farts.

No, I'm saying that BOTH just happene out of random. C'mon, it's not like the audience was expecting to see a flying squirrel pop out from nowehre, nor a fart XD

Lee's the exception considering he doesn't use techniques that rely on ninjutsu. His techniques are pretty much used from his own body's strength and power.

Eh, I still consider it training though...whether Ninjutsu or not, they are still attacks x3

THAT is character devlopment. Though it's a shame the rest is just flashback after flashback. :\

Hm...yeahh : (

Chris
15th August 2006, 6:24 AM
What about Sasuke? Teehee *shot*
Typical shonen series rival of the protagonist. :P They always start off stronger than the protagonist and undergo a certain training different than the protagonist.

Eh, I still consider it training though...whether Ninjutsu or not, they are still attacks x3
Hence why I said it was an exception. :P Lee's probably the only one that's had a certain style since day one that he's honed and trained even before meeting the one who was to ultimately teach him newer skills.

UberSorcerer
15th August 2006, 3:06 PM
Anything with ".hack//" in the title IS rubbish, though. Just wanted to point that out.

I am sorry, but you have just proven you must be an incompatent person who cannot grasp the intellectual anime/game/manga/book that the .HACK// series is. You fail, go back to your action shows and leave the people with a brain alone to their "thinking, talking" anime.

~Meitantei Starlight*~
15th August 2006, 3:19 PM
@uber: Ok, not only was that completly off-topic, but it was also flaming the dude x__x I suggest you stop before you cause a flame war...

Originally posted by Edward Elric
Typical shonen series rival of the protagonist. :P They always start off stronger than the protagonist and undergo a certain training different than the protagonist.

But at the end isn't it the PROTAGONIST who usually wins? ;P

Daaku JJ
16th August 2006, 6:56 PM
Well I've never seen or read Naruto so i'll have to say One Piece.Cause Zolo Rawks! (Sorry couldn't resist)
I also love One piece because of the sense of honour and friendship found in the manga. The fighting and jokes are great aswell.

Xanatos
18th August 2006, 8:36 PM
I say One Piece, Naruto bores me, because it seems too complex with jutsus, and it do not like the drawing style they use. I also agree with what Daaku JJ said, and Zolo is awsome!

raticatelover
22nd August 2006, 4:43 AM
One Piece definitely especially since the naruto manga has been slowing down with mindless coloring pages with faces instead of good material. I just feel sorry for One Piece because it got SCREWED BY AL KAHN! The dub not only took out all blood and violence, but they took out ARCS IMPORTANT TO THE STORYLINE! Naruto was best when it took off but after that it just went down. One Piece started rocky which is sort of why people didn't like it but after that One Year rut it got totally awesome.

http://killthemongoose.satamsonic.com/onepiece/

Go to this site to see the horrors the dub did to One Piece. Maybe it'll turn some dub people to sub people.

zonic the hedgehog
22nd August 2006, 12:21 PM

Well, with the exception of the Forest of Death and holding her own against Sasori and eventually becoming the only character in the series to live to see another day and defeat an akatsuki member, you're obviously right about that.

Though we still don't know what she's fully capable of in Part II yet...

Oh, and she figured out Sasuke was taking drugs, that's useful isn't it?

Like I said in the other thread, Sakura needs boobs... (Nami gets places with hers... xD)

Xanatos
22nd August 2006, 3:33 PM
One Piece is the best, because I like the anamation better, and the jokes. And the overall mood of the show.

nikoflores
22nd August 2006, 5:25 PM
I like Naruto than One Piece

CrimsonX
22nd August 2006, 8:38 PM
To me there equal. Luffy< Naruto but Trace>>>>>>>>>>>>>basically every1

BattleFranky~40
22nd August 2006, 9:54 PM
Well, with the exception of the Forest of Death and holding her own against Sasori and eventually becoming the only character in the series to live to see another day and defeat an akatsuki member, you're obviously right about that.

Though we still don't know what she's fully capable of in Part II yet...

Oh, and she figured out Sasuke was taking drugs, that's useful isn't it?

Like I said in the other thread, Sakura needs boobs... (Nami gets places with hers... xD)

Remember, though, Sakura didn't actually do anything during the fight, as she was controlled by Chiyo, who was pretty much the only person who stood a chance against Sasori.

Also, CrimsonX, his name is Ace.

And there are absolutely no redeeming qualities in Naruto, while Luffy is an awesome and interesting characcter

Rex Kamex
22nd August 2006, 11:03 PM
One Piece is the best, because I like the anamation better, and the jokes. And the overall mood of the show.

But there is no animation in manga.

Even though I've already spoken in this thread, I like One Piece because it has a lot of humor, adventure, and fighting, not to mention that it's still fresh after 400 chapters. Even while some of the fights are long, they are still interesting throughout the fights.

CrimsonX
22nd August 2006, 11:10 PM
Yea the jokes crack me up

thunderblade12
23rd August 2006, 6:42 AM
one piece, but i like the naruto anime much more than the one piece anime

BattleFranky~40
23rd August 2006, 6:47 AM
one piece, but i like the naruto anime much more than the one piece anime
Yeah, filler is awesome!

thunderblade12
23rd August 2006, 6:54 AM
most of pokemon is fillers...the naruto fillers arnt that bad. i dont know much about the one piece anime but it probably has fillers

BattleFranky~40
23rd August 2006, 6:56 AM
most of pokemon is fillers...the naruto fillers arnt that bad. i dont know much about the one piece anime but it probably has fillers
The fillers in One Piece post-Apis are good, especially G8. The Naruto fillers, on the other hand, are like torture. 60 episode long torture.

thunderblade12
23rd August 2006, 7:04 AM
i heard something about the fillers ending soon, they had to slow it down because the anime was catching up to the manga

BattleFranky~40
23rd August 2006, 7:05 AM
i heard something about the fillers ending soon, they had to slow it down because the anime was catching up to the manga
And they made us sit through over 1 1/2 years of horrible filler. Unlike One Piece, which actually has a decent pace and so we only get 1 or 2 6 or so episode filler arcs every major arc.

raticatelover
23rd August 2006, 8:57 PM
Its just sad because most of the chapters can be done in like five minutes. Especially one chapter where people are just staring...

thunderblade12
23rd August 2006, 9:22 PM
Its just sad because most of the chapters can be done in like five minutes. Especially one chapter where people are just staring...

which one naruto or one piece?

BattleFranky~40
23rd August 2006, 11:07 PM
which one naruto or one piece?
Naruto. The last arc featured about 10 or so chapters comprised of people staring at each other in close ups.

Steve
28th August 2006, 4:32 AM
Naruto. The last arc featured about 10 or so chapters comprised of people staring at each other in close ups.
Most notably the reintroduction of Sasuke. Dear god, that took up an entire chapter, just close-ups. In anime time it will take maybe 3 minutes not including flashbacks. I think it was 307, or 306.

Captain
28th August 2006, 6:56 AM
Naruto again, because (again) it has ninjas. I don't really like either but I can stand Naruto better.

shadowblade
28th August 2006, 10:08 AM
I think one piece manga is a lot better, IMO.

BladeMasterofBattleon
3rd September 2006, 6:44 AM
I'd gotta say Naruto. I mean, all they do in One Piece is just go to this certain area, while fighting over it. They eat "fruit" that gives them powers, also some set-backs.

While Naruto, has taken my intrest even more. They have multiple countries, they have a mission system, they have a special energy that is used to perform attacks aka jutsu. Some jutsu have some more serious setbacks. (One Piece = Luffy unable to swim : Naruto = Rock Lee's gates nearly kill him) BUT more serious setbacks made it more exciting.

I'm happy to say (again) that Naruto is better of the said two.

BattleFranky~40
3rd September 2006, 6:47 AM
Who cares about multiple countries when you never see them and they have no personality? In One Piece, every island is unique, every island has its own personality to it. The mission system doesn't allow for any actual special adventures, unlike One Piece, which has a whole new kind of adventure every arc. Plus, the Chakra system is crap when compared to systems like Cosmos or Nen.

Luffy is slowly killing himself with Gear 2.

And despite the fact that they SAY that it will kill them, what does it matter when Kishimoto doesn't have the balls to actually do it (I'm looking at you, Chouji and Neji).

ksquar3d
3rd September 2006, 6:59 AM
Meh, both are OK. Since both have been dubbed and tortured by 4kids, I'd have to say equal on both parts. Both are totally awesome in their concepts, ninjas flying around trying to beat each other up, and a rubbery pirate trying to find treasure. Heh. Good times, good stuff. The Japanese, undubbed episodes are a must for me, so, off to Youtube and the local anime shop I go.

-K2

BattleFranky~40
3rd September 2006, 7:05 AM
Meh, both are OK. Since both have been dubbed and tortured by 4kids, I'd have to say equal on both parts. Both are totally awesome in their concepts, ninjas flying around trying to beat each other up, and a rubbery pirate trying to find treasure. Heh. Good times, good stuff. The Japanese, undubbed episodes are a must for me, so, off to Youtube and the local anime shop I go.

-K2
4Kids doesn't dub Naruto, Viz does, and they do a great job.

By the way, Youtube is a horrible method for watching anime.

zonic the hedgehog
3rd September 2006, 8:02 AM
By the way, Youtube is a horrible method for watching anime.

Only if you have DSL or high-speed internet, because there's no point in searching for episodes when you can have them in bulk and in MUCH, MUCH higher quality over bittorrent/IRC.

Otherwise, Youtube is okay (although there are a quite few sites that have better quality streaming than Youtube).

Sneaky
3rd September 2006, 4:06 PM
I prefer One Piece so much more over Naruto..., here's why:

Naruto
The concept hardly focuses on the real aspects of a ninja. Having special jutsus or chakra doesn't make you a ninja. It's the stealth and all. And wearing an orange jumpsuit isn't stealth. But heck, I'm not trying to be biased here, so maybe you might want to forget about that. Naruto also lacks the proper humour (at times, it may even seem immature), I mean, winning an opponent by farting in his face isn't the least bit funny, and sexy no jutsu isn't appealing at all -.- This lousy humour even causes the series to be boring at some point. I admit, some of the fight scenes are pretty nice and the jutsus are pretty interesting and creative. Naruto's character, however, is not a very interesting character. He's just a loudmouthed, immature, hotheaded kid who's desperate for attention. Granted, he has a sense of humour, though usually perverted.

One Piece
Hey, pirates searching the world for a treasure, why wouldn't that be interesting? Sure, numerous fights, but every fight is different. The Devil's Fruit that grants the consumer power is a very clever idea. Unlike the jutsus in Naruto (which are quite a bit repetitive), the Devil's Fruit in One Piece will want to make you wonder what power each consumer has. One Piece also has a comical humour different from the one in Naruto. Luffy is whole lot funnier. He's childish in a funny sense (not immature), his funny drawings can make us laugh sometimes. Luffy is simple-minded, yet he can get serious if he wants to. Then again, his personaility was inspired by Son Goku's personaity from Dragonball.

I agree about the filler thing. And about Sakura not having boobs, she's 15 while Nami is 18. :)

Kecleon Freak
3rd September 2006, 7:09 PM
I find Naruto (the character) boring and annoying. For one thing, his sense of humor isn't funny. Sexy no Jutsu was never funny to me. And for being the main character you'd think he would actually win more. It would certainly show his progress more, if he's supposedly made so much progress. So far he's only won against Kiba and Neji, both very minor fights. (I don't count Itachi because it wasn't really him.)

Not only that, but Naruto's fighting style is...bland. THe clones thing just isn't cool anymore. Shouldn't Jiraiya have taught him, I don't know...something new? besides a bigger rasengan? And speaking of rasengans,the Oh-so cool new technique Kaka is teaching him is apparently just a stronger one. Lame.

I'll rant on the other main characters when I have more time.

BattleFranky~40
3rd September 2006, 7:15 PM
I find Naruto (the character) boring and annoying. For one thing, his sense of humor isn't funny. Sexy no Jutsu was never funny to me. And for being the main character you'd think he would actually win more. It would certainly show his progress more, if he's supposedly made so much progress. So far he's only won against Kiba and Neji, both very minor fights. (I don't count Itachi because it wasn't really him.)

Not only that, but Naruto's fighting style is...bland. THe clones thing just isn't cool anymore. Shouldn't Jiraiya have taught him, I don't know...something new? besides a bigger rasengan? And speaking of rasengans,the Oh-so cool new technique Kaka is teaching him is apparently just a stronger one. Lame.

I'll rant on the other main characters when I have more time.
Well, Jiriaya taught him "that technique", which he didn't allow Naruto to use.

Knowing Kishimoto though, it is just an even stronger Rasengan, since he can't actually think up good moves anymore.

zonic the hedgehog
3rd September 2006, 8:22 PM
I agree about the filler thing. And about Sakura not having boobs, she's 15 while Nami is 18. :)

HAH! Naruto has bigger breasts than Sakura when he transforms into a girl! :O

WAAAAAY back in the beginning of the manga (when it actually made sense) ninja seemed more inclined to actually use kunai/weapons.

What the hell happened? Where are the parts where Sasuke uses those tight strings to bind people like he did with Orochimaru?

Or clever use of tactics like when Naruto-tachi were going through the mist village?

For some reason, that's always bothered me. It's almost like Kishi sucked out all the actual ninja stuff and replaced it with DBZ-esque stuff (Odama Rasengan, ect.).

deoxys_attack_mode
3rd September 2006, 9:24 PM
The only times Naruto have fought are (WARNING! SPOILERS! I couldn't get the tags to work.):

Zabuza, Haku, Oro (Cheunnin Exam), Kiba, Neji, Gaara, bone-dude, Sasuke, and Kabuto in that order.

Then after TS: Deidara, Oro.

Fights Naruto was NOT involved in:

vs. Zabuza the second time, Forest of death (vs. sound team, Gaara vs. the umbrella-needle dude), other 9 fights in the 3rd stage prelims, Temari vs. Shikamaru, Sasuke vs. Gaara, Oro vs. the 3rd Hokage, Shino vs. Kankuro, and the battles against the Sound Four.

After TS:
Gaara vs. Deidara, Chiyo and Sakura vs. Sasori, Yamato vs. Sasuke.

That's a ratio of 11 to 23. That's about half of the battels in the series. For a main character, that's not that much, is it?

BattleFranky~40
3rd September 2006, 9:35 PM
You forgot his battle with Kabuto before the Rescue Sasuke arc

Sneaky
4th September 2006, 3:28 AM
HAH! Naruto has bigger breasts than Sakura when he transforms into a girl! :O

That's because it's Naruto's transformation, it doesn't really have to do with age. And it's not about the boobs, Sakura just isn't attractive, kinda tomboyish at first (of course, she matures, but still...) Nami, on the other hand, is the clever little thief that manipulates people to do her bidding (AND she has boobs :p) I'mn making myself seem like a pervert... ...
>.>
<.<

And about the fights, you don't have to fight a lot because you're the main character, the story just has to focus on the main character's story (most of the time anyways) That, Naruto has done well (being the attention seeker he is >.<)

BattleFranky~40
4th September 2006, 3:44 AM
Nami's like that girl from Popeye. As her breasts get bigger, her abdomen gets smaller.

EmbersBackUpSinger
4th September 2006, 3:46 AM

Yes i have Qutoed myself but Now i like Naruto better than Onepiece. Haku is my fav. Char.

BattleFranky~40
4th September 2006, 3:47 AM
Yes i have Qutoed myself but Now i like Naruto better than Onepiece. Haku is my fav. Char.
You sure do know how to use adjectives.

And by the fact that you just found out about Haku, I'd say when you wrote that you hadn't even read ANY of One Piece or Naruto.

Sneaky
4th September 2006, 3:15 PM
^Agreed.
But heck, if having a favourite character makes it your favourite anime, then that's just being biased. It's almost exactly like saying, "omg, this anime rocks!"

Nami's like that girl from Popeye. As her breasts get bigger, her abdomen gets smaller

Eew... Now you're starting to destroy her image :P But then there's Nico Robin...

PachirisuX
4th September 2006, 3:25 PM
I heard that most people who read Naruto before One Piece will like Naruto more.

As for me, i read OP first, and love both of them.

(P.S. Robin's 28!!!)

Sneaky
4th September 2006, 3:30 PM
Yea well... more developed? :P

I guess the first impression is best, huh? For me, I saw One Piece first too. And when I saw Naruto, it just struck me as stupid, which made me wonder why my friends loved it so much.

BattleFranky~40
4th September 2006, 4:10 PM
Eew... Now you're starting to destroy her image :P But then there's Nico Robin...
By the looks of her nose, she must have been hit with a frying pan as a child.

Sneaky
4th September 2006, 4:40 PM
How about Tashigi? But enough of this...
I'd actually like to know specific reasons of why people would like Naruto better because I seriously don't see how Naruto can be better than One Piece...

deoxys_attack_mode
5th September 2006, 5:59 AM
I can't see why anyone can think that OP is better than Naruto. I haven't gotten any further than 62 in OP, becaus ethe battle scenes were so drawn out....whereas in Naruto I have read 321. I find it easier to focus my attention span on Naruto. All of the battles in OP so far for me have been longer than the longest Naruto fight (Sakura and Chiyo vs. Sasori, interuppted by Naruto and Kakashi vs. Deidara).

BattleFranky~40
5th September 2006, 6:02 AM
I can't see why anyone can think that OP is better than Naruto. I haven't gotten any further than 62 in OP, becaus ethe battle scenes were so drawn out....whereas in Naruto I have read 321. I find it easier to focus my attention span on Naruto. All of the battles in OP so far for me have been longer than the longest Naruto fight (Sakura and Chiyo vs. Sasori, interuppted by Naruto and Kakashi vs. Deidara).
Let me get this straight. You think Naruto fights aren't drawn out, but One Piece fights are? Get some help. And by "focus my attention span", I assume this means you have ADD, which makes some sense. Also, no fight is longer than Sakura vs. Sasori (It went on. and on. and oooooooooooooooon.)

Also, considering you only read up to the Don Kreig arc, you haven't even actually READ One Piece.

Sneaky
5th September 2006, 6:22 AM
Well yea, I suppose the real action from One Piece starts from the Arlong Arc in my opinion...

BattleFranky~40
5th September 2006, 6:23 AM
Well yea, I suppose the real action from One Piece starts from the Arlong Arc in my opinion...
then it kicks into high gear with the Alabasta arc, and just gets better from there.

Sneaky
5th September 2006, 6:34 AM
That's probably because the Alabasta arc seemed longer than the rest...
Now we just have to see how the World Government Saga goes.

BattleFranky~40
5th September 2006, 6:37 AM
That's probably because the Alabasta arc seemed longer than the rest...
Now we just have to see how the World Government Saga goes.
It seemed longer because it was longer.

The longest arc before Alabasta was around 27 chapters long. Alabasta was around 59 chapters long.

poke'man
5th September 2006, 10:24 AM
the reason i like naruto better is because he does not the only character to show development or to have fights because the writers know that most readers do not like naruto as much as they like other characters and they want to see them fight not naruto they alredy made that mistake with db/dbz's goku

poke'man
5th September 2006, 10:40 AM
I prefer One Piece so much more over Naruto...,

One Piece
The Devil's Fruit that grants the consumer power is a very clever idea. I agree about the filler thing. And about Sakura not having boobs, she's 15 while Nami is 18. :)

devil fruit our just like keke genkei(sharigan ect.) but you have to eat fruit

~Meitantei Starlight*~
5th September 2006, 1:52 PM
Originally posted by Hellkorn
I know that it wasn't directed towards me, but I decided to put in my own views on it.

..You still didn't answer my question.

You'd sooner find a common quirk in your own language more annoying than one in another language. Sure, you might find another term annoying from overuse in another language, but you'll be more irritated with your own native language first.

But the thing is I've been watching the subs longer than the dub; if I were to be annoyed with Dattbayo it would've started a looong time ago..believe it didn't take that long to get annoyed with though..

Yes, it is. [/Not sarcasitc.]

Ok then I really think you need to look back at my posts again and think about what I said (and what you said for the matter lol). I had never even come close to admitting it being a fact (unless I somehow missed something o_O). Sure, I said I haven't seen any over rating except for my friends, but saying it to be not over rated? Not even a bit?? I don't think so..

You.

Well sorry if I'm not a big enough fan and have my nose stuck inside the monitor 24/7 to be able to find that stuff. <__<;; I like other Anime too y'know lol.

I DID, however, read on Narutofan.com that volume 11 broke the Manga selling the record..so yeah. lol- *shot*

I know that those two cases are two vastly different things, but an extreme comparison must be drawn sometimes for the point of relativism being something counterproductive on some occasions.

..Well you know that's a waaay different story lol. But come on; something as simple as Naruto? I don't understand how you can relate "I think Naruto is a masterpiece" to something like that. Seriously.

And so that means because of the opinion the Nazis made means you can't let any opinion slide now? =/ Err...ok! W/e you want. I have a limit too though; just thought you should know..lol.

AdvanceX
5th September 2006, 1:54 PM
Screw everything else. One Piece all the way baby!!!~

BattleFranky~40
5th September 2006, 10:07 PM
devil fruit our just like keke genkei(sharigan ect.) but you have to eat fruit
Devil Fruits actually allow for unique and fun fighting styles. Take Kaku as a prime example. Kekkei Genkai, however, are cheap plot devices. I mean, Sharigan seems to be able to do everything these days, and Kishi just keeps giving it powers.

Rex Kamex
8th September 2006, 1:10 AM
the reason i like naruto better is because he does not the only character to show development or to have fights because the writers know that most readers do not like naruto as much as they like other characters and they want to see them fight not naruto they alredy made that mistake with db/dbz's goku

The other characters have plenty of fights in One Piece. Still, it is important that the main character of the series has plenty of fights.

bigboss1022
13th September 2006, 4:34 AM
is this a joke one piece kills naruto. one piece is so much better its not even funny

raticatelover
14th September 2006, 6:39 AM
Battle Franky is on like every third post on this forum lol. That's dedication Battle Franky. As for the devil fruits...to be fair, Calipha's fruit did seem to go a little over the edge with power. Thats about it though, there is still plenty of other variety of devil fruits.

Plus Luffy comes up with new moves for every arc.Gomu Gomu no
pistol, bell, hammer, axe, screw, bazooka, gattling gun, rife, STORM, flail, hook, shotgun, stamp...

etc...
Naruto has come up with
Shadow clones, Naruto combo*not original*,controlling kyubbi chakra, summon giant toad, rasengan,

Kibamaru
14th September 2006, 8:48 AM
Hmm, I like both One Piece and Naruto very much.

Naruto has a deep storyline about treasuring friendship but One Piece also focuses on the trusting of friends and the goals that people can achieve.

But I'd have to say Naruto would be better by just a teeny bit. It sticks to a somewhat realistic plot, and One Piece story sagas are set in some fantasy world such as Skypiea. But for humour, One PIece is funnier cos the jokes they do are always unexpected.

Naruto definitely has better OSTs than One Piece. IMO, it's one of the best OSTs in anime (like Gundam SEED, FullMetal Alchemist & Fate/Stay Night).

BattleFranky~40
14th September 2006, 10:55 PM
Naruto? Deep?

Nah, not likely.

RomanMack
15th September 2006, 2:07 AM
Oh, One Piece for sure. Naruto is repietive and generic trite.

I can enjoy it on some occations, but One Piece just blows it outta the water.

Chrono
15th September 2006, 2:41 AM
I choose Naruto but OP will be my 2nd favorite anime

Mime jr!!
15th September 2006, 2:56 AM
This is what i think...One Piece better story,interesting moves,innovative ideas
Naruto, Cool story, interesting characters(look cool)

Its not like you can only read one manga at a time, i read them both and enjoy them both, shouldnt have a big fight over which is better.
though i like to see people argue about stupid things and laugh...how huge fans get so protected over the manga they love...hah

pokemaster394
20th September 2006, 4:17 PM
Both rock, but Naruto wins hands down.

assassin oates
3rd October 2006, 11:52 PM
i like naruto but wats weird is that he is more hyper active than i am but he has a girl who has a crush on him

pokekoi
3rd October 2006, 11:56 PM
I pefer naruto ione piece is cool but it's to damn fake for example I never see people act l;ike onepiecetards

Kecleon Freak
4th October 2006, 12:21 AM
And One Piece tards are a good thing? XD

Mecha Dunsparce
4th October 2006, 1:01 AM
I prefer Naruto.

I could never get into One piece; It didn't appeal to me. It isn't bad, I just don't like it too much.

The character interactions and the plotline of Naruto are more enjoyable for me, than that of One Piece.

So yeah...

BattleFranky~40
4th October 2006, 1:43 AM
I pefer naruto ione piece is cool but it's to damn fake for example I never see people act l;ike onepiecetards

Because Magic-using Ninjas are so real.

/\One Piece/\
4th October 2006, 5:36 AM
so your saying that Ninjas that get demons sealed inside them and can jump 100 feet in the air and summon giant toads is more believeable then Pirates that eat Fruit and get powers? k

MugenKeiji
4th October 2006, 8:45 AM
Don't make me CHOOSE.

Naruto is like a snack, it's better in greater quantities but you may get smaller helpings (like broken oreos, the last spoonful of ice cream or tiny chips) when you're starting to really enjoy the flavor. Kishimoto gives the series so much potential but you just KNOW you'll have to wait a while to see everything the series has to offer. There's so many directions and yet the pacing, while drawing out the battles, does seem to waste panels (according to my friend who got me into the series).

One Piece is like a meal, it gives you what you need and every chapter is quite filling. You get a taste of everything to hold you off for next week. The pacing doesn't raise complaints because it's mostly the present moments where fans raise speculation.

I got into Naruto first, but I find One Piece more enjoyable. Especially where Naruto is at in the manga and anime right now.

And in terms of the main character, we see Luffy's a bit more capable of higher classed battles. I mean seriously, you don't see Luffy spamming his new or most powerful techniques for every little thing, he makes an effort to make something new.
Sure, Luffy used Gear 2 and 3 repeatedly. That was NECESSARY to fight Rob Lucci. Luffy KNEW his current pace wasn't good enough at Blueno. Technically it's a state change like Sharingan or Super Saiyan rather than a move. Also, Luffy is still Luffy when he uses "Gear"

I'm waiting for Naruto to show me some results after his training, I really am
All we're seeing is a bigger version of Rasengan and a Wind Nature Rasengan that the Fourth Hokage couldn't do. Not to mention Naruto's most powerful moment was transforming into Nine-Tails and smacking around Orochimaru on powers while losing complete control of himself. Only later to have his butt handed to him by Sasuke. What exactly has he been doing with Jiraiya actually?

I'm not snuffing out Naruto though, I know the series has a lot potential for the later chapters. All I'm saying is that the way the manga is pacing, the anime is as good as dead and just as well Kishimoto's pacing is darned frusturating.

Chris
4th October 2006, 9:50 AM
The amount of Narutards and their sheer ridiculousness overwhelms the amount of One Petards and Dub Petards. ;\

One Piece at least acknowledges that its silly in the way the story is written, the characters and their powers and the designs of certain characters.

Naruto just tries to be your standard shounen manga.

dabou
4th October 2006, 1:43 PM
well, the way I see it is, they are both great manga.

Naruto has ninja, One piece has pirates

Naruto has Akatsuki (sp?), One piece has the 7 worlords of the sea

Naruto has Orochimaru, One piece has world goverment.

Naruto wants to become Hokage, Luffy wants to become Pirate King

Naruto has kuubi, Luffy has Gumu Gumu powers

so my conclusion:

Naruto = One piece

Chris
4th October 2006, 1:56 PM
Naruto has ninja, One piece has pirates
The characters in Naruto aren't exactly ninja if a grand majority of them wear bright colors or have hair colors that stand out. Ninja also don't shout their attacks outloud. Especially not in front of an opponent. The pirates of One Piece are slightly more accurate in their behavior. At least we have a reason as to why so many of the pirates of One Piece are odd (Devil's Fruit and what not). Naruto doesn't. It's more like a magic show.

Naruto has kuubi, Luffy has Gumu Gumu powers
Kyuubi and Gum Gum. Both are also two different things as the Kyuubi in Naruto is a demon while Luffy ate a fruit that altered his body. The Kyuubi gives Naruto his powers while Luffy relies on his own power. So that's technically a difference.

so my conclusion:

Naruto = One piece
Naruto =/= One Piece

Dark Light
4th October 2006, 2:05 PM
This is an opinion, so here is my opinion:
I think Naruto is better. Now, I'm not saying I hate One Peice or anything, its a close second. I just like Naruto a little more because I take ninjutsu classes, so that makes it a little more interesting.

deoxys_attack_mode
4th October 2006, 4:30 PM
Naruto was originally supposed to be about demonic magic, but the creator scrapped the idea, but when he thought of his ninja idea, he broght back the main character from the first idea. Personally, Naruto is my second favorite Manga, OP being in third.

^^torpedo^^
4th October 2006, 6:21 PM
I like one piece better, naruto is also good, I have spent over 450 euros for one piece and naruto manga

BattleFranky~40
4th October 2006, 11:51 PM
Kyuubi and Gum Gum. Both are also two different things as the Kyuubi in Naruto is a demon while Luffy ate a fruit that altered his body. The Kyuubi gives Naruto his powers while Luffy relies on his own power. So that's technically a difference.
Technically, Devil Fruits contain a sort of demon as well.

Gaiash
5th October 2006, 12:03 AM
Devil rather than demon, devils are more powerful.

I like both Naruto and One Piece but out of the two I like One Piece most.

Chris
5th October 2006, 12:06 AM
Maybe so, but it's simply a matter of the fruit changing the person's body to the type of fruit it is. Once it's bitten or whatever, it loses the power and it becomes a part of the person/animal/thing that had it. :P

Not so much a living thing within their bodies like in Naruto that can be released by certain means.

Gaiash
5th October 2006, 12:13 AM
Devil Fruits are sometimes refered to as the fruit of the devil. As such it isn't so much a devil inside whoever ate it but powers from The Devil.