PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Dovescape

klducks
6th May 2006, 3:47 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/dissension/dovescape.jpg
Dovescape - Dissension. Rare
3 W/U W/U W/U: Enchantment
(W/U can be paid with either W or U.)
Whenever a player plays a noncreature spell, counter that spell. That player puts X 1/1 white and blue Bird creature tokens with flying into play, where X is the spell's converted mana cost.

very cool. This really forces combo decks who havn't gotten their combo pieces yet to be forced to win with the Bird tokens. Seeing as it counters non creature spells, they can't even naturalize/disenchant this. The only way they would combat it is Viridian Zealot/Absolver Thrull, which doesn't lead to many options at all. You could base a deck around this card with possibly heartbeat to be able to play multiple spells in a turn or Doubling Season for more tokens. Either way, this is a fun card.

The Duck's Rating: 3/5

skiboydoggy
6th May 2006, 5:18 PM
El Oh El...
ROLLING THUNDER!!!
-Get's 22 Birds tokens-
Oops.
But Nullmage can beat it I think, and THAT is in the base Selesnya deck...

~RaikouRider243~
6th May 2006, 8:39 PM
But Nullmage can beat it I think, and THAT is in the base Selesnya deck...

Behold the busted Nullmage. As long as I have four creatures, I pop an enchantment or artifact every single turn.

This card sounds fun when combined with Droning Bureaucrats. Remember kiddies, tokens have converted mana cost 0. 3/5

klducks
6th May 2006, 11:47 PM
ROLLING THUNDER!!!
-Get's 22 Birds tokens-
I like how you get 2 Bird tokens from Rolling thunder. X=0 converted mana cost aswell.

Felix Feral Fezirix
7th May 2006, 3:06 AM
Imagine if this was an instant.

-imagery-

Opponent: I play lethal Rolling Thunder!!!111

-plays this- (assuming it's an instant)

Opponent: NOEZ!!!! -gets only 2 bird tokens-

[/imagery]

Too bad.

Of course, the Selesnya decks will counter this quickly. Very quickly. In fact, they might even abuse it.

-taps 5 mana- Scatter the Seeds!!!

-countered-

Sankoo for giving me 2 more tokens and giving them all Flying!!!

Uh-oh.

You see, it must be played in the right situation. It's all about control, folks. You wouldn't play it against Selesnya since they'll just screw it down when Nullmage comes out, and in any case, it helps them generate tokens even faster.

This card owns in the right situation. 3.5/5

Shadow Trainer
7th May 2006, 3:21 AM
Useful against control and combo. 2/5

Kaizer
7th May 2006, 4:53 PM
I like how you get 2 Bird tokens from Rolling thunder. X=0 converted mana cost aswell.

No, you get 22. X=0 for counting the number of converted mana cost of things, but when you play it, you're modifying the cost. In this case, X equals the number you paid for it plus whatever other symbols are in the cost to get the converted mana cost.

Anyways, Dovescape is simply awesome.

Felix Feral Fezirix
11th May 2006, 1:50 PM
Ah well. I still want it. I gotta save the money and troop down to the local card shop......

skiboydoggy
14th May 2006, 2:36 PM
And... Not be able to put it in your deck?

klducks
14th May 2006, 7:22 PM
No, you get 22. X=0 for counting the number of converted mana cost of things, but when you play it, you're modifying the cost. In this case, X equals the number you paid for it plus whatever other symbols are in the cost to get the converted mana cost.
ahh. Just read that X= how much you pay when it's on the stack. I thought X always = 0, no matter in which zone it's in. My bad.

Felix Feral Fezirix
15th May 2006, 5:43 AM
It's semi-white, dear Ski.