PDA

View Full Version : Is shipping unhealthy?

Doha Development Agenda
6th May 2006, 7:07 PM
First of all, this thread is NOT meant to aggravate shippers.

I just think that shipping can be unhealthy for some of you here, especially those who've fallen too much into it. Constantly romanticizing about the relationship of fictional characters instead of you own doesn't seem so healthy to me.

I mean just thinking, 'I hope they get together' is fine. But once it gets to:

1. hating, and sometimes even insulting members of the opposite ship
2. thinking about it enough to affect studies and social life
3. judging the show by just the ship you like
4. and so on

I know this because I was once influenced by many ships (advanceshipping mostly), and now that I look back on it, it seemed kinda, well, pointless, for a lack of a better word. I maybe wrong, but some people seem to 'worship' their ship like a religion, and go far as to say that those who changed ships are 'traitors'. This is why I don't like ships anymore, they can be addictive. I'm not saying people should suddenly give up their ship, but I just want people to at least consider its effects.

I mean, if I had even got 600 in my SAT1 writing section, I could write more thoughtfully and convincingly. Let's have a healthy discussion about the good/bad effects on shipping. I mean, this isn't a taboo subject or anything so I would appreciate you don't close it on the reason that 'it offends shippers'.

Fez the Mysfit Elf
6th May 2006, 7:43 PM
Why would this be unhealthy? There's nothing wrong with suporting a ship, and those people out there who flame one another are nubes, who don't know that flaming is against the rules, or are just plain stupid. Suporting a ship is perfectly healthy, but you should't get carried away with it. I personaly suport Pokeshipping, but not to a degree of madness.

Orion-Sama
6th May 2006, 8:00 PM
In a way... I agree. Engaging in discussions regarding "conflictive" Ships does seem to be a big waste. But there's no denying that some people do enjoy such aspect of Canon. So, you should just let them be.

I, for one, just Ship for fun. Most, if not all of my favorite Ships in most fandoms are just people I think that'd get along very well together. They're also rather wishful thinking and my sick Yuri obsession acting on. I never support the main couples unless they're 100% Canon and are couples you grow to like too much (Cecil & Rosa, Zidane & Garnet, to name a few.). Supporting wishful Canon is just asking to get involved into several arguments. Especially in Pokémon, where Canon is practically nonexistant with the exception of the Manga(s).

Shipping CAN be unhealthy, but at least people with half a brain still have a fair grip on reality, and can be obsessed while still having the notion that it's fiction. I know I do at least. As for arguments... I do think they're pointless. Especially in Pokémon. But to each their own. And it can be entertaining. As long as it is, it shouldn't be an issue...

CyberCubed
6th May 2006, 8:48 PM
Yes, its so unhealthy that I can barely pull myself away from the keyboard anymore.

Valkyrie X
6th May 2006, 9:28 PM
No. Shipping is not unhealthy; it is perfectly fine, unless you get seriously carried away with it.

Going out with someone just because you want to have sex with her and sleeping with other girls behind her back is quite unhealthy, however (check Misc. Discussion if you don't know what I'm talking about). :(

;381;ZR;380;

maddiejoan
6th May 2006, 9:32 PM
I'm a shipper and proud of it.

Just sayin'

Hakajin
6th May 2006, 10:08 PM
No more so than people who love Shoujo and romance novels. The only problem is that it doesn't always go the way you want it to, and that causes grief. Of course, real relationships are the same. It's easier than a real relationship in that respect because you can convince yourself that it will all work out anyway, and you're not clinging to another person hopelessly when he doesn't want you around anymore.

It fulfills a need. Its hold on you lessens when you're in a real relationship because you don't need it so much anymore. The more you become involved with a real person, the more it fades away, until eventually it's gone. I know this because for me, just getting a crush on someone is enough to make me stop thinking about it for a while. And it doesn't make me anti-social or anything. Projecting in the form of shipping is a good way to resolve unexpressed feelings.

Who cares if that's the reason you like or dislike a show? What difference does it make to anyone else what you watch? A lot of people's favorite kind of television is romance, and I'm sure they wouldn't watch one if they didn't like the pairing.

Oh, and if you hate and berate other shippers, that's a problem with your own personality, not because you like shipping too much. I'm pretty obsessive, and I don't mind other ships. In fact, I think I'm more tolerant because I understand that what ship you like is completely out of your control, and I know how important it can be to a person. I wouldn't want to hurt another shipper because I can easily sympathize with him.

In some ways, shipping is good too. It stimulates the imagination when you invent shippy scenarios and fanfics and stuff. It goes along with a specific personality type, those who build their own imaginary worlds. People of this kind make good authors and artists.

In short, it's something natural that people do to live out their dreams in a way that doesn't affect anyone else. It has some drawbacks when things don't go the way you want them to, but you don't suffer more than anyone else. It fulfills a need, and once you find fulfillment in other ways, it doesn't matter anymore. And it's also good for creativity.

All in all, I don't think there's really anything unhealthy about it, as long as you know the difference between fantasy and reality.

STJ
7th May 2006, 12:04 AM
Heh, anything can be unhealthy if you become obssessed with it XD and take it too seriously.

This is how I view shipping, it's meant to be fun, if not, then you're probalby better off not shippin at all.

I also, happen to believe that debating ships have an air of redundency, since neither debator actually has control on it, and so, however skilled they may be, they might be proven wrong anyway. But people like debating, and I don't have a problem with that, though I don't do it myself, mainly cause I know that my mind's not going to chnage anywayy, no matter what other people say.

People shouldn't hate other people at all. But as for shipping, well, it's inevitable that people are going to hate and despise a ship for whatever reason, and the shipper is just going to have to deal with it.

S_P
7th May 2006, 12:18 AM
My understanding of shipping was merely something to enjoy.

When you have a plethora of characters, clearly there will be particular favourites. Thus you enjoy seeing them whether it's skills, character, design, or whatever else. It could be as simple as "these are my favourite male and female characters."

Romanticizing about the relationship of fictional characters sounds like something you'd get from a romance novel, or something similar to that degree. That sort of thing exists in many things. What's enjoyable in a drama? Romance can be one of them easily. It's just a mere aspect. Then you just analyse it to greater detail. If this is unhealthy, then so can say ... idolizing a celebrity maybe (only in terms of dissuading from attention to what goes on in your daily life).

In pokemon in particular, the fact that it is so broad and so long makes it so that most likely it's either the overall aspect that is enjoyed or select few things in terms of the anime. In terms of a franchise, there are different types of games among itself, and suches.

Hating depends on the user that is hating. Thinking so much to affect studies and social life is WAY too much thinking (anyhow that can go for any particular obsession, honestly). Judging the show is merely a preference (I mean gee my favourite characters don't exist in the US, technically since they never actually were ever directly aired.). There are always a lot of factors. By your reasons, you make a valid point, though I doubt it's seriously that extreme.

Heck, something like playing games can be equally unhealthy because it indirectly damages your eyes. Getting carried away in shipping isn't entirely good sure, but getting carried away in just about anything can be just as bad.

I mean one fine aspect about fiction is the imagination. I find shipping makes great fanfiction. You can use the high amounts of thinking to generate lots of creativity in writing.

Alfonso
7th May 2006, 1:16 AM
I'm a shipper and proud of it.

Just sayin'

A shipper of whom, if you don't mind me asking? :O

CyberCubed
7th May 2006, 1:54 AM
^ She said Meowth x Skitty in her thread. :p

Phantom_Bugsy
7th May 2006, 2:19 AM
I know it's mildly unhealthy.

That's why I like it :D

buster_wolf
7th May 2006, 2:23 AM
I concur with STJ, anything you get obsessed with is unhealthy. I'm a subtle shipper and I'm quite open with shipping, like, I support both poke and advanceshipping and then all the yuri shippings. =)

Faerie
7th May 2006, 3:43 AM
Ahh, a thread like this is good.

Some people say that shipping can be unhealthy, and I agree. But it's only really unhealthy if you let it be. I think about it a lot, but I still have a very strong sense of the difference between reality and fiction and I don't let it get in the way of my social life and I still interact with people normally. I usually only think about it when I'm alone.

Shipping is, for most people, just a hobby. For different people it's different degrees of hobby, but as long as it doesn't affect your life in the outside world it's perfectly healthy. I know lots of shippers but if it doesn't get in the way of your actual life (school, work, etc) and you can't focus on anything else, than it's not a problem.

Then there's the issue of flaming. Although people do flame eachother about shipping sometimes, whether or not it has to do with obsession or not is a big component. Some people just don't like other people and use shipping as an excuse to argue with them. But others just hate others that don't support their shippings because they're that obsessed. The former doesn't have anything to do with obsession in most cases, although it's not at all healthy; the latter, however, isn't good either, but for a very different reason. I personally don't judge by people by any of their opinions, ships or otherwise, but that's just me.

Shipping is a good way to extend the imaginaiton. Some people just think 'shipping shipping shipping I like this person x this person,' but others write fanfics, and use it to be creative. It's actually a very good medium for writing - after all, shipping is a genre of romance, and as we all know there are countless romance novels out there.

In general Shipping is healthy unless you let it become unhealthy. The level of the shipping is all up to the shipper, when all is said and done.

Kenta99
7th May 2006, 5:14 AM
Im a big shipper. At first, I was only into a few anime/mangas.
I've recently gotten into many new things just because of ships and certain interests.
Shipping can be addicting cause sometimes you just want to see each relationship to the very end.
Ive only enjoyed 1 Shoujo manga filled with ships so far(Ichigo 100%)
Everything else Ive liked is Shonen stories(which dont have much of relationships, but I can still see things develop)
I mainly support canon ships, and ones that I hope to become canon(with hints).

Satoshi
7th May 2006, 5:52 AM
Supporting ships because you can relate to them or to have fun, no.

Supporting ships to the point where you have bedsheets with said ship characters on them, yes. :P

Shipping has never had an unhealthy side-effect on me what so ever. In fact, you could say that it can help you picture what a relationship should be like, using fictional characters. Heck, in a sense, shipping is very stimulating to the http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/4673/rainbow6zv.gifimaginationhttp://img234.imageshack.us/img234/4673/rainbow6zv.gif. ^_^

Crystal Mew
7th May 2006, 6:05 AM
Honestly, I dont think its too unhealthy, but I have to admit people have taken some things a little far- to the point where someone could look at them and say "well thats not really healthy..."

the only reason I started watching pokemon in the first places was because I thought James and Jessie liked eachother....then I heard Misty's Song (ok, I was 13, I'm almost 20 now. dont yell at me please LOL) so I started liking the idea of Misty and Ash being together. I used to be a very big pokeshipper. I dont know, I guess it somehow reminded me of what I felt for a boy who never cared about me. I dont really know. but I watch movies, and I used to read pokeshipping fics and wish that I had a boyfriend like whatever boy I happened to be watching/reading about.

I mean I think its ok as long as it doesnt get to the point of "WHAT!? you like AshxMay? MAY YOU BE STONED TO DEATH because you dont beleive what I believe!!"

I think once shipping turns into more of a, dare I say religious type of deal, I think its gone too far.

but whatever makes you happy, lol

Toran Frostbite
7th May 2006, 6:12 AM
It's only unhealthy when you get too devoted, your mind spiralling into bat**** crazy land.

8D Look where that got the (really insane) Harmonians and Kikyou v. Kagome 'shippers.

Hakajin
7th May 2006, 6:14 AM
I think people tend to associate obsessiveness with how crazy you act about it, but I don't think that's the case. People who are rude and crazy about it would act that way about other things. Like politics. I know a lot of people who act nuts about it, but that doesn't mean having a strong interest in politics is unhealthy, it just means that those people don't know how to control themselves.

I judge obsessiveness by emotional involvement. And I'm very emotional about it. True, it has made me depressed before, but anything you care about a lot can do that. And I wouldn't want to have not shipped just because of that. The high feelings far outway the low. Most of the time, it's a source of happiness. And other than getting down occassionally, I've had no problems with it.

Ampris
7th May 2006, 3:26 PM
I can relate to you, Hakajin, in that I'm also extremely obbsessive with shipping, and you're right about the emotional turmoil that can happen if you get too into it, and also how others can react to really fervent shippers. My brother doesn't like how I'm always going on about shipping on the forums and in my sig/avatar.

I don't think that it's unhealthy, there's nothing wrong with liking fictional couples for whatever reason, whether they remind you of people you know or yourself or it's your idea of a model romance or whatever, it's perfectly normal.

If you let it get out of hand to the point of attacking or disowning other opinions, though, that's a completely different story.
I know, since for I used to be a completely rabid shipper a while ago, refusing to even listen to other views and getting deppressed if someone had a good point that was opposite to what I believed. It was awful, I couldn't enjoy the ship at all since I wouldn't even consider that maybe it could go in any direction that was what I then considered to be less than perfect.
I finally realised what an imbecile I was being, took on a more casual outlook, and everything changed for the better. Now I'll take everything, good or bad, into account, and not make a big deal about it- plus if I don't like it I can always make up an angsty story about it:p
Not that I'm that good at actually typing up the fics I've written, and at least five developed stories are trapped in my head, but there's really no room for growth and excitement in fiction if you're totally convinced of your ship and blind to other possibilities.

You know, it's weird but while I love shipping, I find obsessing over real people like "Brangelina" very odd. Go figure.

Tropical Spirit
7th May 2006, 5:09 PM
Everything you obsess too much about is unhealthy.

But I still think people shouldn't be ashamed of obsessions. =\ It's their own business, and no one should care about it. I do, however, disapprove the constant bickering war some ships have going on. That's just plain stress for no reason at all imo.

Phantom_Bugsy
7th May 2006, 5:48 PM
^Agreed. Obsession is good to have on occasion and it's downright fun. X3

However things like InuKag and InuKik wars need to stfu so the shipping board isnt cluttered with sh*t. D: Makes it so my Les Mis topic dies quicker and that makes P_B sad.

Jo-Jo
8th May 2006, 2:47 AM
Shipping is only unhealthy, I'd say, if it's causing harm to either yourself or other people. Flaming opposing shippers or calling people who jump ship "traitors" would be over the line. Becoming so attached to a ship that you'd go into a deep depression if it didn't happen would also be taking things too far (though some disappointment would be normal). And I wince when people twist canon to fit their ship preferences, mainly because it's obvious they're setting themselves up to be crushed in the future.

If you're just having fun, though, then I don't see the harm in shipping. Even if you are a tad on the obsessed side. ;) We're all in fandom, so I'm assuming we all have fairly obsessive personalities to begin with.

*waves to Maddie* :)

intergalactic platypus
8th May 2006, 3:47 AM
I've seen some shippers take it way too far. I was once accused of being a poser orangeshipper because I used to support pokeshipping :/

Dark Butterfly
8th May 2006, 3:59 AM
Its only unhealthy if others start not only flaming but sending out personal attacks just because someone dose not like the ship you do like "OMG I HATE YOU I HOPE YOU DIE CAUSE YOU LIKE [insert ship here] and not [insert other ship here] THEY ARE MENT TO BE YOU LOSER YOU A PROBLY A FATTY WIT NO LYFE I HOPE YOU DIE BECAUSE YOU DON'T SHIP WHAT EVRYONE ELSE SHIPS!!"

yea the Inu/kag Inu/Kik flame wars are getting old i really don't care who ends up with who (despite the fact i don't like Kagome or support Inu/Kag) as long as the series ends its been going on too long.

And just cause you don't like an anime character doesn't mean you should hate every ship the character could be in(I don't like Kag but i like a lot of the Kagome ships like Kouga/Kagome, Hojo/Kagome, Atoki/Kagome, Renkotsu/Kagome, & Kikyou/Kagome) besides its only animations and drawings anyway.

taitofan
8th May 2006, 4:16 AM
Shipping is unhealthy, as others have said, when it gets out of control. Obsession is fun, and I can get pretty obsessed with couples I like. But flaming and calling people traitors is taking it too far. I'd be damned before I'd commit to one ship and only one ship. =/

And it's also unhealthy when it takes over real life. I'm not talking fanart/fics/discussion in your free time, but failing school/not working/etc because your fandom is more fun than real life. Well, duh, of course fantasy is more fun. But real life responsibilities have to come before personal fun, shipping included.

But other than that, shipping is fun and whatnot. I'm proud to be a shipper. <3

Shiny Linoone
8th May 2006, 4:22 AM
Yeah same here.
Putting fantasy before reality can be fine, but only to a certain extent. Shipping has never caused me to do badly in school....
but that's not to say that I actually to well. >_<

PDL
8th May 2006, 4:24 AM
Shipping is unhealthy in that it makes shippers act retarded.

They also get to the point where they care more for the relationships of fictional characters rather then their own.

Yes I am aware that I'm being abrasive.

Encyclopika
9th May 2006, 2:02 AM
The only thing about shipping that's unhealthy is the flame wars and the "traitor" talk, IMO. As long as the shipping doesn't blind you from reality so much, it's fine. I even think the debates are extremely healthy, in fact, probably the best thing to settle disputes while keeping it flame-free.
But yeah, if you can't tell reality from fiction, it's not the shipping that's screwing you up, you're already screwed. XP

Kanta-chan
9th May 2006, 2:32 AM
When you start bashing other 'ships, then yes. T_T

And especially when guys say something like, "Yah, they are totally cute together" XDD;