PDA

View Full Version : [YGO:COTD] May 8, 2006. My Body As A Shield

FireKero!
9th May 2006, 12:42 AM
My Body As A Shield is the second most powerful YGO card in existance. You wanna know why? THen continue to read:

My Body is a quick-play spell cards that works near similar to Solemn Judgement. By paying 1500 Life Points, you can negate the activation of a card that your opponent has activated that destroys one or more of your monsters, and destroy it.

Now at first glance, this card isn't very great, and it's a cost too, so a negation spell like Spell Shiled Type-8 and Magic Jammer stop the effect, but not the 1500 LP infliction.

Another Down Side for this card is if your cards are bounced to the hand or deck, or any cards are hit in you hand, they're virtualy useless with this card.

But here are the up's of My body. It stops the strongest monster killers in the game. Such as:

Nobleman of Crossout
Bottomless Trap Hole
Trap Hole
Lightning Vortex
Fissure
Smashing Ground
Hammer Shot
Exiled Force
D.D Warrior Lady
D.D Warrior
D.D Assailant
Cyber Gymnast
Every Chaos Monster printed
FireKero!

See? It even stops FireKero!, now that's some skills!

My Body was formerly a Cookie Card that saw less play when cards such as Chaos and RFTDD became mainstream. But with the rapidly changing meta now going on, MBAAS can now become a early-game staple that can help you keep field presence and not waste/loss resources.

Imagine stopping your opponents NOC with MB, protecting your copies of Dekoichi and netting you a draw later on. Making full use of all your floaters and searchers in a duel is greta for even outs and key in winning you the game.

Best of all, My Body as a Shield is a common reprinted several times. It should be fairly cheap and simple to obtain. So next time, pick up a copy of this underated card and put it into your main-deck or side-deck. Trust me, it's a true LIFE SAVER.

I give My Body as a Shield 4.9/5. It's one of the most powerful cards ever created, and can stop nearly all the cards in this game. Even those dastardly Chaos-types.

~Kero, of the Akatsuki Duelist Clan~

Raito
9th May 2006, 1:34 AM
Protecting Horus and Pheonix from The DDs and Chaos is also pretty gangster. All the points I could have/would have made are covered very well. I would run 2 in at least the side deck. *rushes to find copies*

Haruka's Swimsuit
9th May 2006, 2:40 AM
But here are the up's of My body. It stops the strongest monster killers in the game. Such as:

D.D Warrior Lady
D.D Warrior
D.D Assailant
Every Chaos Monster printed

As you yourself stated, My Body negates a "destroy monster" effect; while this blocks Crossout and Bottomless(they destroy then remove), you have overestimated its effectiveness.
D.D. Warrior, D.D. Warrior Lady, D.D. Assailant, Chaos Sorcerer, and Chaos Soldier (BLS) remove monsters from play without destroying them, thus getting past My Body.

~RaikouRider243~
9th May 2006, 2:58 AM
My Body was great 2 formats ago, then slinked off last format. This format it's back to being great. This format's about field control. I'll be glad to pay 1500 to stop that Mirror Force.

FireKero!
9th May 2006, 3:23 AM
My Body was great 2 formats ago, then slinked off last format. This format it's back to being great. This format's about field control. I'll be glad to pay 1500 to stop that Mirror Force.

Do not forget Grand Convergence. :D

As you yourself stated, My Body negates a "destroy monster" effect; while this blocks Crossout and Bottomless(they destroy then remove), you have overestimated its effectiveness.
D.D. Warrior, D.D. Warrior Lady, D.D. Assailant, Chaos Sorcerer, and Chaos Soldier (BLS) remove monsters from play without destroying them, thus getting past My Body.

I was informed by a higly respected and knowledgable LV2 judge that MB negats the D.D's and Chaos, seeing how the have to target the monster to initially "destroy" the monster, then removing them from play(even though it doesn't state it on the card). Like, if D.D Warrior Lady attacked a monster, but took recoil damage.

He could've made a mistake on this ruilling though.....In my meta, this is what most of us run with. I have doubts to....

Thanks for the review everyone! Tomorrow, I'll be doing a card that is also in tie with My Body as a Shield as the second best card. It was restricted to one on the April 1st ban list 2006, and it benefits OTK/FTK decks like madness!

Haruka's Swimsuit
9th May 2006, 7:55 PM
I was informed by a higly respected and knowledgable LV2 judge that MB negats the D.D's and Chaos, seeing how the have to target the monster to initially "destroy" the monster, then removing them from play(even though it doesn't state it on the card). Like, if D.D Warrior Lady attacked a monster, but took recoil damage.

He could've made a mistake on this ruilling though.....In my meta, this is what most of us run with. I have doubts to....

As you said, he could've made a mistake. Judges aren't infallible; I know a judge in my area that no one respects and another player with judge-like knowledge (though, not an official judge) that is equally disliked and many claim he is rather unskilled.
Anyways, I doubt that those cards "destroy" without saying so. KONAMI would have likely reprinted them stating that they actually "destroy" if they did so or Upperdeck would have posted it on their site (since their Gameplay FAQ generally covers things not explicitly stated on the card text).

Torkoal Stu
9th May 2006, 8:53 PM
Also theoretically you could use Banisher of the Light to completely make this card worthless and just pointless in all ways.

But even though i've never used one, i've looked into it but never found it that good. Until I got completely creamed with effects that completely destroy my great monsters, or return them to my hand or deck (Back to Square One and such).

And the cost isn't too much, Life Absorbing Machine, Solem Wishes and all those will get you that payment back in no time.

So this is actually a pretty good card when you think about it, just when most duelists look at it for the first time it makes an instant bad impression with the cost. But its a perfect card for all decks really.

Well most :P

EDIT: Also about costs you could easily use Des Wombat or Pikeru's Circle of Enchantment to protect you o_o; So I guess in the current format of games life point costs can be easily avoided and/or recovered from swiftly.

FireKero!
10th May 2006, 12:00 AM
As you said, he could've made a mistake. Judges aren't infallible; I know a judge in my area that no one respects and another player with judge-like knowledge (though, not an official judge) that is equally disliked and many claim he is rather unskilled.
Anyways, I doubt that those cards "destory" without saying so. KONAMI would have likely reprinted them stating that they actually "destory" if they did so or Upperdeck would have posted it on their site (since their Gameplay FAQ generally covers things not explicitly stated on the card text).

Guess so.

Alright, I'll send word to UDE and see if I can actually get a response by Friday.

EDIT: Also about costs you could easily use Des Wombat or Pikeru's Circle of Enchantment to protect you o_o; So I guess in the current format of games life point costs can be easily avoided and/or recovered from swiftly.

Wurd! etc. etc. etc.

Skrusti
11th May 2006, 2:01 AM

Uh, no, you can't. Wombat and Pikeru's CoE only stop EFFECT damage. My Body has a PAYMENT cost. I wish people would remember this ~_~;

Anyway...No, My Body doesn't stop the D.D.s or the Chaos monsters. Remove from the field =/= Destroyed. And as for Emporer Dragon...My Body specifically designates

When your opponent activates a card that has the effect that destroys 1 or more monsters on the field

So a card saying destroy all cards on the field would be exempted from this, as it destroys not only monsters, but magic/traps as well.

FireKero!
11th May 2006, 6:40 AM
^wickedness. I have a person hear who can play like madness-like. Let's give you a cookie. *e-cookie*

~RaikouRider243~
11th May 2006, 7:54 AM
So a card saying destroy all cards on the field would be exempted from this, as it destroys not only monsters, but magic/traps as well.

No. So long as the card is destroying at least 1 monster at its resolution, no matter what else the card does, My Body can be used to counter it. It can't be used to counter a card like Magical Dimension because the effect of destroying a monster happens after the card resolves.

Skrusti
11th May 2006, 12:51 PM
No. So long as the card is destroying at least 1 monster at its resolution, no matter what else the card does, My Body can be used to counter it. It can't be used to counter a card like Magical Dimension because the effect of destroying a monster happens after the card resolves.

That's not what I heard. When I went to a tournament in Seattle, Washington, someone was asking a representative from UDE if the above were true. He said that if a card destroys monster and Magic/Traps, it is exempt from cards that say they only negate a card that has the text "destroys one or more monsters."

Meh, someone e-mail UDE or something about this to get it resolved :/

Torkoal Stu
12th May 2006, 6:58 PM
Uh, no, you can't. Wombat and Pikeru's CoE only stop EFFECT damage. My Body has a PAYMENT cost. I wish people would remember this ~_~;
Fine but I thought of one card that can make My Body cost free Spell Economics, it says you don't have to pay life points as costs for spell cards. So meaning yay free protetion from My Body.

:P Oh also I looked up 'My Body as a Shield' on the YGO TGC Official site and got:

MY BODY AS A SHIELD

"My Body as a Shield" will negate cards such as "Dark Hole", "Fissure", "Raigeki", "Eternal Rest", "Nobleman of Crossout", "Tribute to the Doomed", "Thousand Knives", "Trap Hole", "Two-Pronged Attack", "Mirror Force", "House of Adhesive Tape", "Eatgaboon", "Ring of Destruction", "Torrential Tribute", "Bottomless Trap Hole", "Man-Eater Bug", "Blast Juggler", "Dragon Seeker", "Dream Clown", "Throwstone Unit", "Burst Breath", "Swarm of Scarabs", "Cyber Jar", "Tribe-Infecting Virus", "Raigeki Break", "XYZ Dragon Cannon", "Mega-Ton Magical Cannon", "Exiled Force" (negates the effect but will not destroy "Exiled Force" as it is already in the Graveyard), "Offerings to the Doomed" (negates "Offerings to the Doomed" so you do not skip your Draw Phase), "Jowgen the Spiritualist" (when its effect is activated), "Dragon's Gunfire" (if the effect that destroys a monster is selected), or "The Last Warrior From Another Planet" (negates the effect and destroys "The Last Warrior From Another Planet").

"My Body as a Shield" can only be used against effects that will destroy monsters at that time. So you cannot use "My Body as a Shield" when "Tribe-Infecting Virus" is summoned; you can only use it in response to the activation of "Tribe-Infecting Virus"'s effect, at which point the effect of "Tribe-Infecting Virus" is negated and "Tribe-Infecting Virus" is destroyed. Also, you cannot use "My Body as a Shield" against cards whose effects will not destroy a monster right away, so you cannot use "My Body as a Shield" against "Jigen Bakudan", "Ekibyo Drakmord", "Magical Hats", "Steel Scorpion", "Toon Monsters", "Thunder Nyan Nyan", "Gradius' Option", "Summoner of Illusions", "Limiter Removal", "Call of the Haunted", "Premature Burial", or "Autonomous Action Unit".

You cannot use "My Body as a Shield" against cards whose effects might or might not destroy a monster right away, such as "Earthshaker", "Barrel Dragon", "Acid Trap Hole", or "Time Wizard".

You cannot use "My Body as a Shield" against monsters with continuous effects such as "Kotodama" .

You cannot activate "My Body as a Shield" during the Damage Step, so you cannot use it against a "Man-Eater Bug" or "Cyber Jar" flipped by an attack, but you can use it when these monsters are Flip Summoned.

"Judgment of Anubis" may be chained to "My Body as a Shield".

So nothing we didn't already know XP Unless it does solve your guys problem then yay.

But go Spell Economics makes My Body cost free for sure, so yay :P *Might add one to deck now*