PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Mettling Curse

klducks
9th May 2006, 11:45 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/dissension/nettling_curse.jpg
Nettling Curse - Dissension. Common
2B: Enchantment - Aura
Whenever enchanted creature attacks or blocks, its controller loses 3 life.
1R: Enchanted creature attacks this turn if able.
"I call them 'Poke' and 'Prod.'"
-Chagrach, Rakdos cursemage

My god, i hate this card in limited. Seems very fun in casual play as well. Enchant a 1/1 or something and they take 3 while you take 1. Good deal. Of, whats more fun is enchanting Birds of Paradise. w00h.

The Duck's Rating: 3.25/5

Kaizer
10th May 2006, 4:40 AM
Meh, this card's really not that great. It's nice for limited I suppose, but even then, it's suspect. Never was a big fan of contaminated bond, and let's face it, this isn't much better.

For you little birdy thing: They can just tap it for mana. They might not be able to use that mana, but I'd rather burn for 1 than take 3.
;245;

Felix Feral Fezirix
11th May 2006, 1:23 PM
This card is painful. A Red/Black deck utilising this totally owns. They'll take the damage, people. An improved Contaminated Bond for an extra mana that gives the ability to force an attack for your opponent to take damage....Ouch.

Of course, they can abuse Sandsower and tap it to stop it from stabbing themselves, but meh.

This card is good. Flexible and good for combinations. w00t. And enchanting it on Birds of Paradise is dumb. They'll just burn themselves one, like Kaiser said, instead of eating the three.

3.9/5

bowsermaster12
12th May 2006, 12:47 AM
Everyone at the prerelease ran this card, like even if they werent RB they had a way to play this if they were lucky to get it. My RBW deck had 3 of these so i would PWN with it, they lose life i prevent / block the creature with some lower power higher toughness creature.
This card will be a staple in Rakdos decks, and if it isnt oh well you may have something else.
4.25/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
12th May 2006, 7:15 AM
Uh....You were running Tricolor?

Boros, Orzhov, Rakdos....

bowsermaster12
12th May 2006, 9:32 PM
Um yeah, its a draft you kinda do that. And no i didnt run Orzhov, it wasnt a guildpact tournamnet. I had RBW, as in Rakdos destroy and creatures with white like the multi card Agrus Kos, which is really the best of boros i had, i had a few prevent this and heal that. Did i mention i had a Proclamation of Rebirth, really works when you got a ton of 1 mana goblins in the graveyard waiting to sac'd agian. Lyzolda and Killsuit FTW.

Kaizer
12th May 2006, 10:01 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see how you can give the Curse a 4.25/5 and only give Voidslime at 2/5. This card will never be seen as a staple in Rakdos decks. There's already hardly any room for some of the cards in the standard deck as there are. This happens to be an enchantment ( an obvious strike) that is only beneficial on your opponent's creature ( so they have to have one, another strike or two there) and you have to have the spare mana open each turn for it to be of any use (another rather large strike). Rakdos is a highly aggressive deck that needs to play out its hand. This does nothing more than slow it down significantly.

Sure this may seem great in limited, but that's the thing- limited. A lot of cards are nice in limited but see hardly any play elsewhere- Pollenbright Wings for example. Hell, the only deck I know of that will get any real use out of Nettling Curse is my "mockery of magic" deck that features cards such as Chimney Imp, Singe, and some unhinged that is just plain for fun and never intended to win. Even then, it's just to make fun of the card as it is.

Felix Feral Fezirix
13th May 2006, 5:49 PM
Eh...... So I use Pollenbright Wings. So?

You can always play Rakdos as more Enchantment beatdown based......

skiboydoggy
14th May 2006, 2:45 PM
Meh, I'm trying to build a quint-colour enchantment deck, but the damned Nullmage keeps killing me. Oh well.
This could possibly work if you're not actually playing Rakdos but rather just playing B/R... Oh well.
-Stabs Nullmage after it destroys my third Infiltrator's Magemark-

Felix Feral Fezirix
14th May 2006, 5:32 PM
It's not my fault I pack Nullmage. <_<