PDA

View Full Version : MTG COTD: Sunforger

klducks
12th May 2006, 3:53 PM
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/ravnica/sunforger.jpg
Sunforger - Ravnica: City of Guilds. Rare
3: Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +4/+0
RW, Unattach Sunforger: Search your library for a red or white instant card with converted mana cost 4 or less and play that card without its mana cost. Then shuffle your library.
Equip 3

Oh the mighty Sunforger. The ability to search your library for a Shock/Helix/Flames of the Blood Hand/etc can be pretty cool. But for 5 mana is kinda ouch... Most of the time, you'd just equip, swing with the BIG power bonus. Damage to stack and unequip for an added burn to the face. It's useful, but a bit mana intensive in my view with 5.

The Duck's Rating: 3.25/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
12th May 2006, 8:14 PM
It's incredibly flexible, it comes with the Boros theme deck, it's completely pwny......

AND I HATE IT.

I have played against this a lot, and it's so abusable it's not even funny. Too many monsters? Equip and swing. Need some help? Unequip and pull something insane. Like a Boros Fury Shield or something. Want Volcanic Hammer upfront? Pull it.

This card is just good. Face it.

4/5.

Shadow Trainer
12th May 2006, 9:08 PM
The +4/+0 pump is nice and the ability to find a removal spell at instant speed is great. 3/5

bowsermaster12
12th May 2006, 9:14 PM
This card is not in the least painfull for a 4 mana card search. You can easly look for your shock, your helix or your Dogpile

I had typed up a whole post on it but my net is f'd up so ill just post the keypoints of it

-5 mana to search for a card is not bad, even the limited version of what the card can be still doesnt hurt in the least.
-It seems overplayed from what you hear but its not any more
-Ravnica only was this good in
-If you make a crappy Boros deck, GL trying to use this

Judges Note - Just because a card is gold doesnt mean its not of the chosen color. Wrecking Ball is as much of a red card as it is black, they count as both a black spell and a red spell. So you cna search for any card as long s either white or red is in the cost.
BUT I must point this out, I can not belive how many retards dont get this. A split card has converted mana of BOTH HALVES, NOT ONE SIDE!!!

With this card you can search for a Hide // Seek but not a Hit // Run. Hide // Seek equal 4 mana with one red in the Hide cost. Hit // Run is a converted of 8 mana. Just because you say you were looking for Hit, 3 mana with one red, doesnt mean you can get it with this card.

In a W/R deck that is made to suit only Helix type spells this is good, but even then it takes tactics and stragey to make it all work out in the end.

3.5/5

Kaizer
12th May 2006, 9:54 PM
This card is not in the least painfull for a 4 mana card search. You can easly look for your shock, your helix or your Dogpile

I had typed up a whole post on it but my net is f'd up so ill just post the keypoints of it

-5 mana to search for a card is not bad, even the limited version of what the card can be still doesnt hurt in the least.
-It seems overplayed from what you hear but its not any more
-Ravnica only was this good in
-If you make a crappy Boros deck, GL trying to use this

Judges Note - Just because a card is gold doesnt mean its not of the chosen color. Wrecking Ball is as much of a red card as it is black, they count as both a black spell and a red spell. So you cna search for any card as long s either white or red is in the cost.
BUT I must point this out, I can not belive how many retards dont get this. A split card has converted mana of BOTH HALVES, NOT ONE SIDE!!!

With this card you can search for a Hide // Seek but not a Hit // Run. Hide // Seek equal 4 mana with one red in the Hide cost. Hit // Run is a converted of 8 mana. Just because you say you were looking for Hit, 3 mana with one red, doesnt mean you can get it with this card.

In a W/R deck that is made to suit only Helix type spells this is good, but even then it takes tactics and stragey to make it all work out in the end.

3.5/5

Ok, I do agree with you score and a few of the upper statements, but for you "judges ruling" you should try first reading the rules. With split cards, as long as either side has a cmc of 4 or less, you can grab the card and use either side. So you can indeed grab Hit//Run and use the Run side of it if you felt like it.

* When an effect gives a player permission to play a split card, that player may play only one half of it. The half he or she chooses to play doesn't have to be a half referred to previously. For example, a player may use Sunforger's ability to find Hit/Run in his or her library, since Hit is a red instant with converted mana cost 4 or less. When that player plays that card, he or she may play either the Hit half or the Run half.

So you can definitely grab any split cards that have the one half fulfilling the conditions with the Forger.

bowsermaster12
12th May 2006, 11:01 PM
Sorry i missread the rules on that one for mana. I read that you add up the mana cost as in the case of Dark Confidant. My bad entirly, oh well im still learning since the official rules for Dissension arnt up yet and there fore i though they changed something about split cards.

klducks
13th May 2006, 12:42 AM
Too bad Volcanic Hammer can't be fetched because it only fetches instants... otherwise instant Wrath of God, wooh.

I'd also like to note that it can't be countered by Leaks/Remands/Counter spells since it's an activated ability. wee

~RaikouRider243~
13th May 2006, 2:32 AM
This card turns your deck into a ticking time bomb for your opponent. With 5 mana, you can tutor out a burn spell every turn.

4/5

Felix Feral Fezirix
13th May 2006, 5:38 PM
True.

Oh, and by the way, the hammer in the pic is none other than our notorious Volcanic Hammer. Just in case you didn't know. ^_^

skiboydoggy
14th May 2006, 2:40 PM
Which I have no idea how it manages to work, but I love that card well enough to strangel anyone who puts a Nullmage on it...
GRAGGGHHH!!!
THE HAX ANTI-MIRRODIN THAT IS NULLMAGE!

Felix Feral Fezirix
15th May 2006, 3:10 PM
Go Selesnya! Artifact destruction extraordinaires! -stays away from Ski-

When you see a Boros deck play this card, best to pull Nullmage immediately. Learn from my experience.

-runs-