PDA

View Full Version : Fullmetal Alchemist

Ketsuban
17th May 2006, 8:07 PM
The old topic's more than a month old, so...

Chapter 59's just come out in Japan. Thoughts?

That Scary Clefairy
17th May 2006, 8:28 PM
yea, interesting past. want to see how Scar killed the Rockbell's

Luke Groundwalker
17th May 2006, 9:03 PM
Dunno. Can someone give me a summary of it? I don't have the time to read it right now. >.>

Ketsuban
17th May 2006, 9:30 PM
Basically it shows what the military did in Ishbal. Marcoh and some other scientists transmuted some former Ishbalan soldiers (discharged when the annihilation campaign began) into a Philosopher's Stone. When some Ishbalan civilians were trying to escape they were allowed to leave by Armstrong, only to be blown up by Kimbley. And Roy and Maes discussed how they didn't expect "this sort of thing" when they were in training.

Ah yes, and Hawkeye, the daughter of Mustang's alchemy teacher, is a sniper and saves Mustang and Hughes from a random Ishbalan.

Kez
23rd May 2006, 12:58 PM
Right, I have only read a chapter or so of this, and I have been watching the anime. How close are they to each other? if at all because the anime has finished but the manga is still going.

That Scary Clefairy
23rd May 2006, 1:58 PM
Right, I have only read a chapter or so of this, and I have been watching the anime. How close are they to each other? if at all because the anime has finished but the manga is still going.

The anime and the manga went two completely different directions just like Trigun did. The manga has mcuh deeper and suspenseful story and more new characters. Vol 6 I believe is when it starts to diversed from one another.

Kez
24th May 2006, 5:21 PM
Cool. So it is like getting 2 different versions of a similar story? Well, I think that the anime is great. I have yet to read the manga.

Doies anyone know if there are plans for it to be published in the UK? I really want to read it.

Mimori Kiryu
24th May 2006, 5:29 PM
I haven't heard about it in the UK but I can look into that, Kez. ^^

I have two issues of the manga, but I haven't read much of it at all. The anime is great and that's what I've seen all the way through.

Wandering Rhythmical Phoenix
24th May 2006, 7:55 PM
IMHO, Manga > ANime this time. The anime is good, but I like the plot and looks of thne Manga better.

That Scary Clefairy
24th May 2006, 9:32 PM
IMHO, Manga > ANime this time. The anime is good, but I like the plot and looks of thne Manga better.

Same here.

Saffire Persian
25th May 2006, 6:38 AM

Plus, I think we'll get at least (somewhat) of a bit happier ending. xD

Fatal
25th May 2006, 7:55 AM
Cool. So it is like getting 2 different versions of a similar story? Well, I think that the anime is great. I have yet to read the manga.

Doies anyone know if there are plans for it to be published in the UK? I really want to read it.

Just order them online from the US. ;o

Hm, I should really read the manga. I've read only the first few volumes, and it seemed pretty similar to the anime, but now that TSC said they become different stories, I need to read more of the manga. D:

-Fatal

Kez
25th May 2006, 8:30 AM
Well, I cant order from online, so I do not think i can do that.

I think that it sounds very interesting if the story splits. Does anyone know how many volumes there have been planned to be released?

That Scary Clefairy
25th May 2006, 1:59 PM
Just order them online from the US. ;o

Hm, I should really read the manga. I've read only the first few volumes, and it seemed pretty similar to the anime, but now that TSC said they become different stories, I need to read more of the manga. D:

-Fatal

Well yea, I mean the manga is still continueing right now so yea its gets different.

The whole Homoculus deal is way different from the anime perpective, especially Envy's transformation.

To Kez: Well so far I believe 14 volumes are out in Japan, and the latest chapter is 58.

Firedance k'Treva
30th May 2006, 8:26 AM
I like Ling and Ran Fan in the manga. they are just so funny. but there are major differences, like how the homunculi were created and so on, and even their bosses.

if you are interested, i have a site that has chapters 1-58 so far loaded.
go to Readmanga.com (http://www.readmanga.com)

I've read most of it there, but i still buy the volumes
;249-d;

Prominn
2nd June 2006, 12:53 AM
Yeah, the anime is good, but manga is better 8D

Plus, I think we'll get at least (somewhat) of a bit happier ending. xD
I hope so XD

Swampy
2nd June 2006, 1:12 AM
I agree to that.

Yeah, I'm hoping for the manga to have a happier ending then the anime. Oo;;; I'm REALLY hoping.

Yeah, I've read the latest chapters off the manga. I'm going to run off now. ^^;; *walks away before he starts posting too much FMA information. XD*

undisputed_seraphim
6th June 2006, 4:43 PM
Is it just me, or are the mange always better than the anime? Storylinewise.

That Scary Clefairy
7th June 2006, 4:05 AM

for the majority: yes. Mainly cause the manga is the original source and able to play out many things the author wants. Where anime, the have restrictions and setups the have to follow. Time is also another issue for animation.

there are rare exception where anime is better than manga.

HK
7th June 2006, 6:59 PM
Can't believe that I haven't posted in this new thread yet... Anyway, expect for the newest chapter to be out in less than a week. I'm looking forward to it.

When it comes to adaptions of manga to anime, yes, for about ninety-nine percent of them out there.

there are rare exception where anime is better than manga.

Elfen Lied had a manga to anime adaption where it went from fan service, awful art, and bad characters to a great deal less of fan service, simplistic but very refined animation, and understandable, sympathetic characters (although there were some moments where the reactions were... not believable). Though, the plot seems more focused in the manga than the anime, but that's probably just because of length.

It all essentially comes down to adaptions. Berserk is better in the manga simply because it explains more, it doesn't cut out characters and plots, it has more material, and simply because while the animation was rather muggy at times in the anime, Miura's art work is some of the best that you can find in a manga series. Same way with Trigun/Trigun Maximum. Then, you have original anime series like FLCL, Vision of Escaflwone, and Neon Genesis Evangelion where they are essentially adapted to manga form, and they're complete crap.

(Yes, TSC, I will never stop b*tching about what Sadamoto did to the characters in his adaption of Anno's work. Realize that. ;D)

That Scary Clefairy
7th June 2006, 8:57 PM
(Yes, TSC, I will never stop b*tching about what Sadamoto did to the characters in his adaption of Anno's work. Realize that. ;D)

I don't give a crap. :P

Ketsuban
8th June 2006, 12:46 AM
When it comes to FMA, I think the anime and manga are just so different it's not really fair to say one is better than the other. ^^; Please to not be making this an anime-bashing thread. It's been civil up to now, but...

HK
9th June 2006, 7:26 PM
I don't give a crap. :P

... That's just like telling me, "Go ahead, Dave, complain about Sadamoto's b*stardization all you want." I'll remember that.

When it comes to FMA, I think the anime and manga are just so different it's not really fair to say one is better than the other. ^^; Please to not be making this an anime-bashing thread. It's been civil up to now, but...

Oh, I'm not bashing the Fullmetal Alchemist anime series. I like both the manga and anime, I just simply prefer the manga. If I didn't like the anime then I wouldn't watch it, as well as collect the DVDs. Honestly, you can compare and say which one you believe to be better, but that would be pointless in the end. Just simply stating my preference and answerin' a question, yanno. ;D

Ketsuban
14th June 2006, 7:46 PM
Just making sure. ^_^

And chapter 60's out! If you don't know where to get it, PM me.

Fullmetal_Alchemist
15th June 2006, 8:48 PM
Well, I cant order from online, so I do not think i can do that.

You can try Forbidden Planet if there's one near you, as they tend to have quite alot of import manga available.

Anyway as for chapter 60. Is anyone other than me finding the constant focus on Hawkeye and the research tattoo on her back beginning to feel a bit boring? I mean, it's good to get some backstory into Ishbal, but the previous chapters with Father were alot more interesting imo.